*Official* Football Manager 2013 Constructive non-ME Feedback Thread

call me crazy, but i find the fat version to be easier than FMC. don't get me wrong, FMC is great and i have used it extensively. however, i just, for some reason do better in normal than FMC. lol. loving the game so far, it's up there with my favourite FM 10.

apology for mistake, english isnt my native tongue :p

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finishing has a lot to do with tactics, you should be looking at creating the right chances, not just bucket loads of them. Wwfan linked the only thread anyone should care about in this respect, not some anicdotal evidence you make up.

Where can I find this famous WWFan thread?

I've only briefly played FM13 due to the fact that I don't like the new training system. I've read on here that people find it more realistic but I'll give you a few reasons why I don't think this is the case.

Firstly, there is no customisation for the user. I understand that you can change the amount of time you can prepare for matches etc... but you could also do that on FM12. You can only choose between individual roles for each player which won't let you mould players in to the players you want them to be. For example Theo Walcott has near perfect pace but not so good finishing, on FM12 you could design a training schedule that maintained his pace but worked intensively on his finishing and composure on FM13 you only have PRESET and FIXED schedules that give you little to no customisation at all. Do you think Guardiola would have such similar training schedules as Mourinho? No he wouldn't! I also liked working on an individual attribute on top of the players training schedule - I saw that as the player staying behind after training to improve his finishing for example.

I'd like to point out that I'm not saying that the sliders were 100% perfect but they at least gave the user more control over their training methods. The user should have as much control as they want!

Another thing that I used to like was selecting who to rest and how long to rest them after games. On FM13 you can only give them a rest for 1 day after each game and also the whole team have to have a rest day too. If you have a squad of 22 players not all of them can play in each game, so why would you want those who didn't play to rest? And what if I had a cup game that went to extra time, surely you might like to give some of your players more time off? As i said before the new training system has significantly reduced the choices available to the user.

Due to FM12 giving the user more control over his training methods (which is a massive part of football management) I have reverted to playing this game until the tracksuit managers are given more control over training in FM13.

PS there are some great new features in FM13 like the taxes and the increased staff roles available so it's not all bad!

Judging by some of the posts on here i feel that I'm playing a different version of the game.

There are a few glitches, however nothing that won't get fixed or distort the game in any way.

Things I have learnt

1, As a new manager the players have to get used to you, your system.

2, Every team has weapons that will hurt you if you don't set up right.

3, Remaining consistent in what you want your team to do helps, chopping and changing is counter productive.

4, Be pragmatic, and react to what you see happening in the match. (I watch every game full match)

5, Its taken me until December to affect player morales with teamtalks etc..

6, Get your shape right, lower creative freedom to gel the team quicker.

I am really happy with FM13, all the other FM's Had people complaining as well. You can't please everyone I suppose but I have always been happy with the FM series without fail.

Wow, are you serious? You watch every game for 90 minutes?

So I've been reading the forums as I so often do when a new game is released and we all get into that FM Spirit.

The one thing I have found reoccurring through all my years in the community(more as an observant than a massive post writer) is that about 75% of the people moan about "This years edition is the worst ever!" because they start out by not being successful and blaming the match engine, calling it the worst ever and blablah!

Now this happens every year, and they always praise the game before and say it's the greatest when the new game comes out, but they keep doing it each year, so most likely the same people that bash the game to begin with will call it the best release after playing it for a year - couldn't it just be that fact that you need to learn the game a bit as a new release doesn't allow you to just import the tactic that worked so good in FM12 to FM13 and you continue your winning ways that you were on in FM12 that made it the best release - because you were so good at it, and we all love the things we are good at.

I say this because about the only time I do spend on the forums is just after a new release and after about 3-5 weeks of reading them I just get fed up with the people on here, there constant bitching about how the ME is broken or the game is broken makes me think every single game I loose is because of the ME and not just the fact that I did something wrong!

I know the ME is faulty, but it also tends to be the same whine mostly all years "The AI has less shots then me but I loose every game, I have 65% possession but loose the game on a counter-attack"

Did anyone watch R.Madrid vs Dortmund yesterday ? after the first half there was no doubt Dortmund had played better, Real Madrid looked sloppy and Dortmund looked sharp and way better, yet at the half-time mark Real had 65% possession and more shots - but that didn't by any means they deserved to lead, every chance Dortmund got was well executed and there shots were good ones that caused trouble. Meanwhile Real just held the ball up and didn't even threat, they Ronaldo was playing sloppy but the stats would say Real were overplaying Dortmund - which anyone who watched the first half will know. Bear in mind I'm only talking about the first half and the stats from that.

I encourage people to just relax a bit and try and better themselves and work out tactics that work and work ethics, learn your squad.

And last but not least I'd like to think SI costumer service for there responses on twitter to my questions, I've had 2 issues that I've been eager to get responses for, I tweeted SI in a polite manner and got a response within the hour.

regards

Dribbling is ridiculously overrated

I'm managing Roma and any team I come across that has an average dribbler: 13 for dribbling, pace 15 seems to tear my defence apart to a point where my defender's can't even get near him when they're chasing him. It seems the match engine doesn't seem to understand that running with the ball significantly slows a player down no matter how good of a dribbler they are. Players cover way too much ground when sprinting but also keep the ball far to close to themselves. It's like every player can dribble like Messi. I never noticed a problem like this is in last years Football Manager only this one.

Furthermore even average midfielders seem to have nitro boosts when they need it managing to 'fast forward' their way out of trouble. I haven't played against a team with a speed demon yet but I dread to think what will happen if I came up against Messi or Ronaldo.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

Just by way of a Match Engine update this is where we are. Its a work in progress so far and not likely to be rolled out for a week at the very least.....

Match v1313

-----------

- Refined position of d-line and also the lines in front of it when defending

- Brought wingers a bit deeper when defending

- Weaker players more likely to favour direct passes quicker

- Improved short pass accuracy slightly

- Tried to increase number of crosses slightly

- Fine tuned shot accuracy

- Fixed some minor player on ball decision bugs

- Improved trajectory of medium length kicks like free kick shots and corners

- Made players better at offering out ball to team mate

- Tried to improve player reactions to deflected balls or tackles

- Made players more willing to slide tackle when opportunity and need arises

- Fixed some unnatural save directions from keepers

- Fixed keepers trying to save ball at wrong point when its heading for post or bar

- Made players slightly better at turning body while on the run

- Made strongest player stand ground when 2 players collide while going for a header

- Made goal celebration paths a little bit more varied

- Fixed comms saying ball well wide when not really that far wide

- Some ball physics collision tweaks

- Some team talk fixes

Is that players with lower strength or players who are less able?

Is that players with lower strength or players who are less able?

I take it as less able meaning lower league players shouldnt get 200 passes a game anymore... thats my take on it tho.

Also for PaulC seeing as you have put out a list on things going into next update any chance you could keep updating the old thread about the ME with them? Would make it easier for both you and your readers with it all in one place.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/320432-Next-match-engine-update-fixes-so-far...%28-updated-30th-October-%29

• Administrators
Hugs and kisses to you!

But no ME tweaks in this update?

As said in the announcement:

Just to emphasise, there are NO MATCH ENGINE CHANGES in this update. As some of you are aware PaulC and his team are hard at work on the match engine but more time is needed to both code and test all these changes.

Ok, so 'Match Day Expenses' for Wrexham (In BSP) cost me just under £250,000 last season. £173,000 on 'Other'. Why is this so high?

Somebody please help me with the financial aspect of FM, otherwise managing a team is going to be pointless because my club will be bankrupt!

It makes you think about the game a bit more I think. Like normally, I would go one way or the other for most 'team' settings in tactics (i.e. man marking). But when you have default, you realise it's actually good... Man marking in key positions and zonal in others. You start to realise that default doesn't mean "plain". You realise you don't have to go all out just to be different to what the AI might use.

I don't see how using the default makes you think about the game a bit more!! At the very least default tactics should be good, weren't they designed by the brains behind the Tactics Creator. As far as I am concerned using the game's default tactics is the same as using a downloaded tactic. How any of them "beats" the game doesn't matter to me, they were constructed by someone who isn't me.

(It irks me a bit that the tactics creator doesn't really do what it "says on the tin" either, because players are preprogrammed to do certain things under certain conditions that you cannot change.)

I take it as less able meaning lower league players shouldnt get 200 passes a game anymore... thats my take on it tho.

I also think the same, but the interesting question is, is this relative to the opposition, or to the overall standard of the players? If Stoke play Arsenal are they going to hit more direct passes than if they played Shrewsbury (because Stoke are relatively stronger than Shrewsbury but weaker than Arsenal), or are Stoke always going to hit the same number of direct passes no matter who they play because their players are of a certain strength.

Is tactics, subs and shouts in the match bug fixed? I mean in match you cant make subs, change tactics or add/remove shouts.

The part which I consider to be relevant is the bit where it says -

Fixed creation of custom shouts causing tactics to be locked-out

Fixed Cancel/Confirm buttons not appearing on match bar in some situations

• Administrators
Neil, i saw the fix for the network transfer bug but nothing about the network scouting issue, do you know if that has been fixed in this release?

No, this hasn't been fixed yet but it's something we're very much aware of and looking into. Thanks.

See, for all our gripes and moans, for all our complaints, this is what keeps us coming back for more. Can there be any game out there where the creators and designers spend so much time interacting with the punters?

Second to none. These guys, for all the commercial considerations which drive some of their decisions, love the game like we do. They play the game, extensively, and want it to be as good as it can be.

And they work - tirelessly - to make it that way. Fair play to all of them. All we, as fans (addicts!) can ask, is that we are listened to. I've played some games which are awful, buggy messes, and once they are released the developers simply don't want to know anymore. These guys are a cut above.

Not according to Miles, that's why there's FMC.

I cannot see anything in the patch list that fixes the issue when you close your laptop screen. Currently have the set up to allow the laptop to go into sleep mode. When I open it I cannot play the game without completely logging out of FM13 first.

I do know there is a work around which is to minimise the game first but I would have thought this issue was a really easy issue to test and implement a fix.

Hi there, can you please confirm whether you have started a new game or not?

Whoops I just realised what happened. I enabled the wrong database and was searching for created players that didn't exist. :lol:

Just tried again with the correct database and first impression is it's working fine now!

The ME does have some bugs that stop it happening properly, most noticeably in the current version, the lack of pressing in the final third, which knock onto too many short, lateral passes.

True. "The car is brand new and perfect, only the brakes don't work. We didn't notice it when we tested it. And anyway, who needs brakes after all?"

Players with no long shots take long shots only when all passing options are out and they are in danger of losing the ball and initiating a dangerous counter if they don't get rid quickly.

Not true. Take a look at this: http://i.imgur.com/mD8J5.jpg

The guy with the ball is a deep lying playmaker, long shots rarely, no "shoots from distance" PPM. He is unmarked and unchallenged. Has a very easy option (1), a slightly riskier option (2), a "let's try and switch play" option (3), a difficult through ball option (4), two lob through balls options (5) and (6), one guy is offside but he may not know his teammate is so stupid to stand offside when he has a clear visual of the defensive line, and finally he can run with the ball (7), he shouldn't do that but players react fluidly to situations etc.

But there is yet another option, since "the little issue" with the lack of pressing in the final third generates a snowball effect: a simple pass as shown in (8) would beat Peterborough right midfielder and leave the poor right defender 1 vs 2.

What did he do? You got it, he shot. This happens with any MC at least (AT LEAST) 3-4 times every game, regardless of the players' role, duty, ppms. I'm not saying it can't happen IRL, I'm saying that:

1) I should be able to ask my player why he didn't do as I told him;

2) I should have some feedback from the assistant about the players / team not acting according to my instructions;

3) I should have some kind of help at least from the ratings, that must reflect the player's performance according to his position, role, duty.

Since this doesn't happen, you can't blame people when they say it's pure randomness.

Also, it's not just "the final third": in the image you see how crazy Watford players are to leave two attackers 1vs1. And how crazy Peterborough attackers are to patiently wait for the ball to be recovered, like they don't care about defending (It's not my job! I have to score!) If teams played like this in real life, a typical match would end like 23-17 or something.

As for team jellying, cohesion, mastering the tactics: it's true, my team have better results once they "understood" the tactic. That doesn't mean better performances, they'll just stop making stupid and idiotic mistakes.

If you want to invent a new style of football (the libero in the 40's, zonal marking, Ajax system, etc.) it takes time, the right players, specific training etc. But seriously, does it take four months for a British team to "master" the most basic 4-4-2? Do they play football or did they play cricket until July 2012?

Didn't realise this thread existed so posted the following in a new one but seems more appropriate in here:

Really like the new FM and this is just an idea for the next update. I always play as my team, Lincoln City, which means lower league management. This is great on FM 2013 but there is one thing that is really unrealistic:

When you try to loan players from teams in the same league, or league or two above, they ask for no contribution. For example, I wanted to loan Fleetwood from Luton after the first season when they had been promoted. He is on 1k and for a season long loan they asked for no contribution at all - this is really unrealistic as in real life all lower league teams are struggling financially and would look for at least 50/60% contribution for a player on 1k who is no longer needed. I can understand the big teams letting players go for no contribution to get experience but you should have to contribute to wages for experienced players at lower league teams otherwise it acts as a cheat for lower league managers that is not realistic. I know that in real life we have loaned players from our league or league above and have had to contribute the majority of their wages as everyone is extremely cash strapped atm.

Any chance this would be considered as an item to be updated in future?

Not according to Miles, that's why there's FMC.

He said some of them didn't have time to play 24/7 due to work and family. But ofcoz they play it alot. Just look at the video blogs of Miles on youtube. He clearly haven't slept for months :D He looks so tired. Probably been playing FM 13 beta all night long :)

Archived