*Official* Football Manager 2013 Constructive non-ME Feedback Thread

One thing I would say, SI, is that despite my feedback being mainly of the constructive variety, I am still playing the game - so you must have done something right.

Also - the DoF feature is welcomed - I like being able to list my unwanted players and let someone else do the donkey work.

Any chance someone can look at the issues I raised with the various player/team ability/potential being displayed wrong/not displayed?

Will keep adding stuff as I see it.

D

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators
One thing I would say, SI, is that despite my feedback being mainly of the constructive variety, I am still playing the game - so you must have done something right.

Also - the DoF feature is welcomed - I like being able to list my unwanted players and let someone else do the donkey work.

Any chance someone can look at the issues I raised with the various player/team ability/potential being displayed wrong/not displayed?

Will keep adding stuff as I see it.

D

Best to raise issues in the bugs forum if you haven't already

Cheers Lucas - To be honest, I was looking for some feedback as to whether other people thought it was a bug, or whether it was something I was missing with the new interface/setup. If you could give me your thoughts (just track my previous posts for last night/today - there's only a couple relating to player ratings) I'd really appreciate it.

P.S - I've raised a fair few bugs over the course of the beta ;)

• Administrators
I'll try and upload the next few examples but specifically, post/crossbar rebounds & crosses/shots from very tight angles.

Yeah any examples would be very much useful, especially if you have a number of very similar ones. Thanks.

Why is it players are always outraged at being fined for getting sent-off after 2 yellows? Do they think its somehow ok and not as bad? I'd say it was worse if anything.

I tend to issue a warning when they first get sent off, any future sending offs result in a fine and they are ok with it

Probably been mentioned and I had hoped it would have been fixed:

When you post adverts looking for staff the default job role is U20s when that's not what I want.

Example, I just advertised for a GK coach and accidently signed one as an U20s GK coach on a long term contract, thus using my one and only slot for this staff role. Is this an issue or am I being thick and can change the default setting in some way?

• Administrators
In team-talks, when praising players and they "looked to switch off" or "didn't seem interested", after a good win, is this a bug or just down to my rep?

It's likely due to your rep - what team are you playing as and what was your starting experience? (Automatic, international footballer, Sunday league etc)

It's likely due to your rep - what team are you playing as and what was your starting experience? (Automatic, international footballer, Sunday league etc)

Liverpool, can't remember starting experience but at the moment it's National reputation. I 'think' I may have chosen Professional footballer

Is it just me or is it only the mods that face no serious ME problems or concerns whatsoever?:pCertainly they seem to know something we don't

Damn it I almost feel guilty for really enjoying it this year after reading all the pontifications from the annual knockers FMC is a brilliant addition for someone in my current circumstances and as I've actually bothered to keep up with the history of the ME and it's development I've no real concerns about it. It's taken those backward steps so that it can now be taken many steps further forward than any previous version.

If you're really an FM lover you'll help with that process rather than typing walls of text that you think demonstrate your expertise, Cloughie himself said that football generates more hot air than Vesuvius, methinks FM surpasses both

Not to mention that there is a profound relaxation in this whole situation,if not inherent,concerning the problems and the bugs,while it shouldn't be.I'm not sure why that seems to be happening though;)Is it because it is exactly how Kriss thinks it is?

A lot is in the eye of the beholder, ME is very much a work in progress but it's passable overall and should rapidly get far better than any previous ones.

Is it really just us and should we really be hoping for an ME improvement though?Or is it just wishful thinking?I don't think we will be seeing much of improvement though since many believe that the game is great already:p

I am a Syrian 32 years old living in Dubai. I have been a loyal fan and player for FM for years now and before that CM during the nineteens. I read an critical here in Dubai about a week ago that there is no plans to make Arabs Leagues in the game, why is that? and why not to make Arabic version of the game? look for example fifa13 & fifa12 have an Arabic version and the sales laterally hitting the roof, give it a second thought and I am sure the game will be on the best 5 selling in the Arab world.

After playing the full game for quite a number of hours I can safely say that tactics that use pushed up wingers, especially the 4-2-3-1, are having incredible difficulties. The pushed up wingers rarely track back, and when you play the 4-2-3-1 formation you will constantly have 4 players way too far up the pitch resulting in the 2 central midfielders battling out the midfield. This causes these formations to be beaten way too easily, which is a shame because a lot of the top teams play this formation. 4-4-2 is the most stable formation as of right now, which takes out some of the charm of football managing...

Another thing I have noticed is that when defending, teams tend to move too far down so that opposition players standing just outside of the box are wide open for shots even if you have close down settings on those players in opposition instructions...

• Administrators
Liverpool, can't remember starting experience but at the moment it's National reputation. I 'think' I may have chosen Professional footballer

Yeah it'd be a rep issue, with the 'bigger' clubs you need to work at it for a little while first and earn a bit more respect from the players. Thanks.

I agree somewhat. I'm dying to play the full game, but I don't know if I want to spend £30 to test it and see the bugs for myself, or see if fanboys are just ranting. So all I can go on if forum feedback, which is mixed to say the least.

That said, the ME is always a work in progress. What's wrong with that? That's just how it works. Though I do prefer FM12's ME.

It's really sad to accept this as just the way it is and works. You have no idea that it's this mentality that's keeping the game so underdeveloped, especially in the tactics area.

My God...

I´m back to FM12 too. Can we get the money back or is already too late? :(

I think they have to pay us to play this FM13 joke.

No, they don't pay you. YOU paid THEM when you bought the game in order to test it for them.

It's a great business plan and you have only yourself to blame. :)

Is it just me or is it only the mods that face no serious ME problems or concerns whatsoever?:pCertainly they seem to know something we don't

Don't get me wrong, I see all the problems everybody else is seeing (the real ones that is) but I've followed the progress of the ME right from when it was decided it needed massive rewriting to enable adjustments that just weren't possible with the previous one.

Now two years later it positively needs the input of the fan base to help develop it to a standard which will be far beyond what was possible before.

I'm very confident that'll be achieved but in the meantime I can live comfortably with what we have because I understand the reasons for it.

The feedback is fine, except that the emotive language and semi hysteria rather make me cringe, it is only a video game after all.

PaulC will take on board all valid criticism and use it, he isn't likely to respond to posts which call into question his honesty, integrity and sometimes even his parentage.

That's why we keep saying keep it constructive and provide evidence where atall possible.

Don't get me wrong, I see all the problems everybody else is seeing (the real ones that is) but I've followed the progress of the ME right from when it was decided it needed massive rewriting to enable adjustments that just weren't possible with the previous one.

Now two years later it positively needs the input of the fan base to help develop it to a standard which will be far beyond what was possible before.

I'm very confident that'll be achieved but in the meantime I can live comfortably with what we have because I understand the reasons for it.

The feedback is fine, except that the emotive language and semi hysteria rather make me cringe, it is only a video game after all.

PaulC will take on board all valid criticism and use it, he isn't likely to respond to posts which call into question his honesty, integrity and sometimes even his parentage.

That's why we keep saying keep it constructive and provide evidence where atall possible.

You can't expect customers who pay for the game to have your understanding, and they shouldn't. It's NOT only a video game, it's a product that costs money.

If the problems were not so often or too severe each time then people wouldn't be hysteric.

Don't blame the customers please, that's beyond arrogant.

• Administrators
You can't expect customers who pay for the game to have your understanding, and they shouldn't. It's NOT only a video game, it's a product that costs money.

If the problems were not so often or too severe each time then people wouldn't be hysteric.

Don't blame the customers please, that's beyond arrogant.

He hasn't blamed anyone there whatsoever. I'd suggest you go back and re-read what he's written as it strikes me you've completely misinterpreted what he's said. He's admitted there are problems with the match engine and asked that people where they can provide feedback - without going over the top.

He hasn't blamed anyone there whatsoever. I'd suggest you go back and re-read what he's written as it strikes me you've completely misinterpreted what he's said. He's admitted there are problems with the match engine and asked that people where they can provide feedback - without going over the top.

You are right, he didn't, my bad.

But he should be able to accept the "semi-hysterics" as he calls them. It's VERY logical for people to complain they way they do in this forum.

hello,

Is it normal that my reputation is national when i start: unemployed with sunday league experience with lots of leagues from all around the world (as low as indonesian third division) with swiss & french nationality?

thank you

• Administrators
You are right, he didn't, my bad.

But he should be able to accept the "semi-hysterics" as he calls them. It's VERY logical for people to complain they way they do in this forum.

I don't think it is really, logically we're far less likely to listen to and act upon someone say ranting and abusing us than someone who may well be just as upset, but provides evidence and feedback in a way that we can use it to improve the game.

People can have a moan by all means if they're unhappy, but if you're providing feedback we would very much appreciate it being constructive.

'Wingers are rubbish' isn't anywhere near as good as 'wingers are struggling to beat the last man, they turn and play the ball backwards in advanced positions despite my instructions' (with pkm example).

Given the amount of forum angst, it is probably worth reposting this:

Lots of things being posted relating to not being able to defend or attack are almost certainly down to users' tactics, not the ME. Such tactical issues illuminate the problems of coding the ME. There is a footballing logic that it and AI tactics access, which includes having a certain number of players moving between the lines (pushing up or dropping deep). If a user's tactic is very static and keeps players glued to their line, then they arguably should be struggling to get results, just as a real life team playing totally static football would. Historically, users employing static tactics have been able to "beat" the ME rather than the AI by keeping their defence back and channeling their passes through to a single, usually quick, player. The lack of collision detection in the ME resulted in this player being guaranteed a certain number of good chances every match. The only thing that mattered was how well he played.

In reality, any team would be able to mark that player out of the game. The one dimensionality of the tactic then gets exposed, as it can't create another type of chance. A user with this type of tactic should be seeing bad football and getting frustrated. How do you know that is you? Generally, if you always kept both FBs on Defend duties, had at least one DLP, possibly two, and forwards only on Attack duties, then there is the strong possibility you were relying on the 'no collision' exploit to overpower the ME. If you had multiple DLPs and an FC in the FCC position, it was almost certainly you.

Ultimately, if this type of tactic is struggling, then it is evidence that the ME has improved structurally. That doesn't mean that it doesn't have some bugs, such as defensive positioning on some free kicks, shooting too often from extreme angles, pressing not being aggressive enough etc. However, these are all secondary to the overall structure working far, far better. Structural improvement was the key focus of the two year ME redevelop, which required the introduction of player collision and ball physics. If you can't see quite how much this has improved the overall play of the ME, then you are missing the wood for the trees. Everything outside of this structural improvement is polishing. The ME might need burnishing in certain areas, but the underlying framework has improved significantly.

Just wanted to say thanks for this advice. After being incredibly frustrated with how stupid my team seemed to be when going forward, I tried to take this advice to heart. I went away from tactics that were tried and true with the old match engine and decided to add some creativity along with some shouts. My team is suddenly playing beautiful football and scoring goals again while remaining solid at the back. It seems that position swapping works extremely well in the new match engine and causes the AI defense huge head aches. Just one thing that's made a big difference.

I'm enjoying the game so far, some small bugs here and there but so far so good. Only major issue is the network mode which I play the most, why refer to it as new and improved network mode when its a disaster and so much worse than last year. There is no longer a LAN option too which I think is a major disappointment. ME seems to be fine for me, apart from an issue with where I'm unable to change my tactics once I make a shout, but the general gameplay seems good

Well, I've played FM2013 for 5 hours today and I'm really liking it. I guess I'm lucky enough to have a PC with 5 star performance rating but I really can't understand some of the flack on here.

I love the new training parts and transfers are more realistic. One player I went for failed his medical. A shame but that's real life for you.

ME seems good, more realistic but the lack of a players' tunnel baffles me.

Just wanted to say thanks for this advice. After being incredibly frustrated with how stupid my team seemed to be when going forward, I tried to take this advice to heart. I went away from tactics that were tried and true with the old match engine and decided to add some creativity along with some shouts. My team is suddenly playing beautiful football and scoring goals again while remaining solid at the back. It seems that position swapping works extremely well in the new match engine and causes the AI defense huge head aches. Just one thing that's made a big difference.

I have to second this. I was very frustrated with the ME. But, once I took wwfan's advice and redesigned my tactics, I'm seeing much better football by my players and they are playing more or less the way I am asking them to play. My only remaining major gripe is the absolute refusal by central players, whether midfielders or forwards, to run with the ball. The second a central player receives the ball, regardless of their dribbling stat, their ppm (i.e. runs with ball), their instructions, or my shout (run at defense), they stop immediately and either shoot or pass to a teammate. I am not sure whether this is a deficiency in my tactics or a flaw in the ME. If it is an ME flaw, then it should be fixed, and if it is a problem with my tactics, then hopefully someone (ehhm, WWFAN, ehhhm) can advice me on how to rectify it.

The new look is fantastic as is all the new options. Sadly for me I'm in the same boat as all the others here having problems with the ME. My players just don't close down or tackle no matter the settings. I've saved and reloaded a match playing slightly different every time but the opposition knocks the ball around like Barca.

This reminds me of when FM08 was released and the same sort of thing was happening so I played FM07 until 09.

Really hope it gets looked at and we don't have to wait till FM14.

• Administrators
This made me lol.

Anyway, any idea when the creating side of the editor will be fixed?

Also, is the game faster than FM12? It feels slower to me but some have said its faster..

Yeah we're obviously well aware of the editor issue and we'll be looking to address it as soon as we can. Unfortunately it's not just a quick case of 'this is broke, we'll fix it and release the fix' - we have to test things to make sure it works properly. Would be even worse if we 'fixed' it, only for that fix to cause say any edited games to crash. It's definitely high priority but please be patient as we look to resolve the issue. Thanks.

i always love the madness of a release day and patch day, every single year its the same, "OMG how could you ruin the last version like this" then at xmas we will get the same, then again in feb. Its only a game guys, just play it and have fun, or play another game if you dont have fun playing this one.

From my point of view the ME still needs work in a pressing sense, and in a defensive line sense, i still think the defense sits too deep, or the midfield sits too deep which leads to a lot of what appears to be good one touch passing, most of it isnt, its just the players have a lot of room so are able to play alot of passes without being pressured enough, once that is tweaked a bit more this will be a fantastic ME, it looks better and it offers far more in the way of real football. A few tweaks here and there and no one will remember the 15th or so edition FM12 ME.

A good point here! :thup:

And untill the tweaks are made, you can always play FM2012.

For me, this past few weeks have been great:

1) playing FM13... discovering the new game. Ok, i dont like the ME so far... not to bad, i'll wait a couple more weeks!

2) Go back to FM2012, playing my old save game

3) Go to point number 1, and start again! Repeat untill ME from FM13 is at taste!

Is the team meeting ( address team as new manager) a new feature ?

I cant remember the option to address the team as new manager , even so its a great way of boosting the team morale when you take charge as an unknown manager.

• Administrators
Is the team meeting ( address team as new manager) a new feature ?

I cant remember the option to address the team as new manager , even so its a great way of boosting the team morale when you take charge as an unknown manager.

No, that was in for FM12 originally, although I'd say it has had a tweak for FM13.

Apologies if this has been asked already, but I accidentally made it so the save game box comes up everytime I start a new game, I know it's not a big deal but how do I stop this? Can't find it anywhere in preferences where it was last year!

Won the blue square with Luton, we were the favorites so not too hard, spent my time on the game today working hard to get in the right players for life in Division 2.

Re the ME some of you need to look beyond the bugs, for those of us who have struggled in previous versions to get teams to play more than a lumpen direct British game it’s been a revelation. Finally I know that if I can get together a quality team then I can play quality football, for every dodgy bug affected goal there has been a well crafted one, not to mention plenty that were pretty bog standard. Without a doubt the ME has some issues, get rid of those, tweak the marking, pressing, control and positioning areas and it will be excellent, oh and the GK distribution that’s the one that drives me mad, it’s like a hangover from FM2012 and earlier not to mention reminding me of British football at its worst.

Archived