*Official* Football Manager 2013 Constructive non-ME Feedback Thread

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay maybe I haven't been up to date with the rules of football lately but since when is a handball, that wasn't preventing a goal chance, a straight red card?

I just got a player sent off for handball somewhere in the middle of my half with at least 4 other of my players around and even deeper standing then the player who handballed.

I left my laptop on with Steam running, just looked in my Steam libary now, and next to FM13 it says 'update required'?

I thought Steam always updated games on it's own, FM13 was not running either. Anyway, I just tried double clicking my FM13 beta icon, and it appears to be updating FM13.

Was there a release day patch? I've had a look at the sticky threads but I can't see a new changelist.. thanks.

Surely the whole point of a feedback thread is to get feedback, positive AND negative/constructive?

Quite why people are saying 'Don't complain about 'X'' is beyond me - That's surely why SI have set up this thread in the first place so they know what has worked/not worked.

I will (and have) posted positive feedback about aspects of the game, but if a consumer's opinion is that the game is poor, for whatever reason, they have the right to express that opinion, albeit in a constructive way.

Anyone reading this thread looking for sunshine and rainbows needs to consider its purpose.

Every year they release it and there's problems, then we need to wait a few months for a patch before it becomes playable. Do you feel it's unreasonable to feel the game should be good to go from its date of release?

The keeper can't make a simple 20 yard pass? Even taking that out of the equation, he could have EASILY saved that and chose just to dive ridiculously early for dramatic effect. Also, who actually says "What is your point caller" anymore? How old are you, like 50?

Hey! Nothing wrong with being 50. Sadly, He/she can't him/herself, thinks he/she works for SI customer service.

Surely the whole point of a feedback thread is to get feedback, positive AND negative/constructive?

Quite why people are saying 'Don't complain about 'X'' is beyond me - That's surely why SI have set up this thread in the first place so they know what has worked/not worked.

I will (and have) posted positive feedback about aspects of the game, but if a consumer's opinion is that the game is poor, for whatever reason, they have the right to express that opinion, albeit in a constructive way.

Anyone reading this thread looking for sunshine and rainbows needs to consider its purpose.

Nothing wrong with constructive feedback, its arguably what drives the series forward more than anything, but there are a fair amount of pointless sarky remarks floating about that are not much use to anyone.

Well well

After now playing for 18 hours straight i can confirm after playing ever version this game is good very good.

It is complex indeed and for the first 6 games i could not score for toffee even my prolific Charlie Austin bar the odd goal in the

Capital Cup.

But after spending a hour reading the tactics forum i found that the reason my through balls where not being played were due to my tactic and the fact the Ai where parking the bus on the edge of the area so everything was going wide but crossing is not working like it did since the 2nd beta and i find a balance to it now and find counter a more productive process.

It is also about the right fit for the right job player wise more than ever

So i took stock and decided the best form of attack is defence so i went about creating a tactic that played more people within the lines or banks if you want to call it and hey presto my form is turning around including a 3rd round cup game at Everton where Charlie scored 2.

Shouts are much Much more prevalent for sure and the match engine philosophy has been cranked up a level or two i now see what the possibilities are and this match engine is already far superior and complex than anything that has gone before.

Yes there many area needed tweaking and please before you give me the fanboy stuff read my previous posts i have not always seen eye to eye with the game.

Much thanks to Si and a even bigger thanks to WWFAN your ramblings my good man once again is on the money.

to add i understand why i win and why i lose more than ever on this version if you look hard enough If your struggling at fm then by and large it is your tactics

Every year they release it and there's problems, then we need to wait a few months for a patch before it becomes playable. Do you feel it's unreasonable to feel the game should be good to go from its date of release?

I don't feel it's unreasonable at all. I'm quite active on these forums and the majority of my posts have been constructive feedback/suggestions because I don't think FM2013 is up to scratch or provides enough/any new content for dedicated fans.

What I would say is that there is a subtle difference between giving feedback that the game is totally broken and pointing out specific issues that need to be fixed.

Sadly, most of the stuff I've highlighted won't be fixed/updated and wasn't fixed/updated in FM2012 - that's my biggest disappointment.

Either way - people have the right to (and are being asked to) submit their feedback - positive or negative.

Does anybody not also think the tackling is atrocious? Tackling on hard and my player doesn't even attempt to stick a foot in and just remains stagnant while they pass it by him or cross it.

I have to agree....this is my only big gripe with this version this year, I just want to see one of my defenders go to ground once in a while or at least stick a foot in yet it seems they just want to provide a standing wall that needs passing around

That may be the problem, it happened in the first half where all the options went dark and wouldnt let me select anything, but went back to normal after half-time!

This happened to me last night. I changed some shouts at the beginning of the second half. For the remainder of the match (I was watching full match), my shouts remained greyed out, nor could I go to my team screen, or even make a substitution. I couldn't even cancel my 'pending' shouts and the game essentially remained locked in 'pending' status.

As far as the new match engine is concerned, I do feel some ambivalence towards the changes right now. I love that players awareness in general has increased; they make decisions quicker, move with more fluidity and no longer get stuck slowly turning in a semi-circle. Defensive positioning and players running back to provide cover also looks good. My issue with my defence is that they hardly ever seem to put in a tackle now. The closing down on the edge of the area looks decent, however they still seem susceptible to through balls. However, I nearly never see a tackle - even with hard tackling selected and my fullbacks on defend.

Another issue, as already mentioned in a response, is the lack of dribbling in general, from either my AMC or my wingers. My wingers, in a wide, attacking formation, never seem to want to run up the touchline to put a cross in. I have them set to fully run with the ball and use the 'exploit the flanks' shout, but every time they either stop, and play the ball back to a fullback, or more often, they just pass the ball inside. I understand this could also very well be a tactical fault on my part, so I'd love some suggestions :)

Overall, I'm optimistic about the changes SI have made and can see that the new match engine has a lot of potential. The changes to training also look excellent; they're much more realistic and streamlined. Also, FMC and the new online play are both welcomed editions.

One final thing, processing in this edition does seem a lot slower. Admittedly My PC is ancient now (intel dual core 2.0), but FM 12 did run very smoothly with just a small database and the english, welsh and scottish leagues selected. I'm currently playing Rangers with a large database and just the scottish league selected. During matches my GPU also seems to be taking a beating for some reason as my fan runs very high, which it never did in FM 12. (I have an old radeon 8800 gt, which seemed more than adequate for FM 12). I also experience some occasional on pitch lag, and even some lag when I'm making substitutions on the team selection screen during a match. Is this a known issue? Or is it just a case of me finally having to admit it's time to euthanize my old computer? :D

Match Engine:

Once upon a time, there was a product called Football Manager Live. Back then, SI used FML as a testing base for the ME of FM. Then FML players could give their feedback (we had plenty of rants) remember the times PaulC? ;-) but it did make the ME better for FM later on, and of course also FML.

Ever since they closed it down, testing has been made only by Q&A, and then later Beta, meaning that we now see a brand new ME, maybe not developed completely from scratch, but at least some parts are brand new. Im afraid I have been around long enough to know and accept, that the ME wont be perfect come release, but this year I am certain that it will take a bit longer to finetune it. By that I mean:

- I see some "silly" movements on the pitch, where attackers a lot of times runs on the back line, and then either scores goal of the year, or miss of the year.

- I see many many runs from defence to attack down the wings.

- Barca in a 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 should win 75% of the matches without no major problems. It should not be needed to adjust and tweak system before each match. But here it just dosnt work that way. I think there is a problem managing a top side, as the game automatically makes it harder than it should be.

General:

- I think the layoyt will be great when getting used to it. I wont judge it on a few weeks of play. But I think it has plenty of potential.

- A bit dissapointed that the challenges are the same as in FMH. A bit creativity would have been welcomed.

- FMC a good and quick way to play, and could be a possible network play mode. I do lack a bit more depth, but that can be added along the way I guess. It is better to start very simple and then add a bit as times go by.

For now I will keep playing the challenges, and a bit of FMC, to work out the tactics, as clearly everything that was working in FM12 is not working anymore. And I find it quite hard to make a stable tactic even for top sides.

[video=youtube;-W6FN_jSEjI]

My tackling is on hard and closing down is press more so I'm dumbstruck as to why my midfielder (white team) closed their man down at the start of the video and then just stood there admiring the Lille player. That is infuriating moment #1.

The through ball to the winger who crosses it could easily have cut that pass out but instead just ignored it completely and even stopped running just enough to allow the through ball to be completed. Infuriating moment #2.

My marking is set to man and offside trap is unticked so I'm confused as to why my centre back's just watch their striker run past them for an easy square ball resulting in a goal. Infuriating moment #3.

I know people will dismiss this because it'll be viewed as needless nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking but it's 3 instances that ultimately led to a goal where in each of the 3 instances my tactical choices beforehand (pre-match) had been set up in such a way to avoid exactly those situations, so where did it go wrong? My complaints about the lack of action in the 3 instances are actually basic facets of a football match. This is the best football game out there so it's not nitpicking to highlight things like this. It's just striving for that little bit more which isn't too much to ask.

• Administrators
What a load of fanboyish drivel.

People mostly complain about major bugs not because they don't understand the ME.

Please stick to feedback and not labelling other users because of their opinions. It will not be tolerated. Thanks.

Not him, but annoyed by the same thing. "The loss of the ability to watch a match in split view and have highlights in full screen." In previous games, the view would switch automatically from the match view to a screen of your choosing.

But now, you either have to do it manually, or you have to get used to a tiny little window in the middle of the screen - and the game not taking advantage of neither all the space available on a screen nor the wealth of options and stats.

Just to mention this is also something that has been bothering me a fair bit too.

In the past I have always played matches with players stats page open, and the game always automatically switched to a match highlight when necessary and then back to your chosen screen once the highlight was finished.

In one previous version (maybe fm09?) there was a bug that stopped this working correctly, but think it was eventually fixed in a patch.

So I guess I was wondering if this is perhaps a bug that means this doesn't work like it used to, or rather purely a design decision to remove it?

Well well

After now playing for 18 hours straight i can confirm after playing ever version this game is good very good.

It is complex indeed and for the first 6 games i could not score for toffee even my prolific Charlie Austin bar the odd goal in the

Capital Cup.

Damn that Charlie Austin and his bricklaying and goalscoring skills...:thdn:

[video=youtube;-W6FN_jSEjI]

My tackling is on hard and closing down is press more so I'm dumbstruck as to why my midfielder (white team) closed their man down at the start of the video and then just stood there admiring the Lille player. That is infuriating moment #1.

The through ball to the winger who crosses it could easily have cut that pass out but instead just ignored it completely and even stopped running just enough to allow the through ball to be completed. Infuriating moment #2.

My marking is set to man and offside trap is unticked so I'm confused as to why my centre back's just watch their striker run past them for an easy square ball resulting in a goal. Infuriating moment #3.

I know people will dismiss this because it'll be viewed as needless nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking but it's 3 instances that ultimately led to a goal where in each of the 3 instances my tactical choices beforehand (pre-match) had been set up in such a way to avoid exactly those situations, so where did it go wrong? My complaints about the lack of action in the 3 instances are actually basic facets of a football match. This is the best football game out there so it's not nitpicking to highlight things like this. It's just striving for that little bit more which isn't too much to ask.

No offense however in Real Life football there will always be mistakes by players if you scrutinise every mistake made in conceding a goal. You forget that yes it is a game, and yes you have set up tactics to play a certain way however does not mean that your team will automatically start playing perfect for every second they are on the pitch. Players have atributes for a reason, your midfielder I bet does not have 20 for tackling so will not be perfect in a tackle, I bet your defenders don't have 20 for anticipation and decision making and whatever and so will sometimes make mistakes.

Think about it. I am currently manager of AFC Wimbeldon. I too have tactics set up to tackle hard and press more however I gain a lot of yellow cards because my players attributes are very low and so will not always be great in a tackle.

No offense however in Real Life football there will always be mistakes by players if you scrutinise every mistake made in conceding a goal. You forget that yes it is a game, and yes you have set up tactics to play a certain way however does not mean that your team will automatically start playing perfect for every second they are on the pitch. Players have atributes for a reason, your midfielder I bet does not have 20 for tackling so will not be perfect in a tackle, I bet your defenders don't have 20 for anticipation and decision making and whatever and so will sometimes make mistakes.

Think about it. I am currently manager of AFC Wimbeldon. I too have tactics set up to tackle hard and press more however I gain a lot of yellow cards because my players attributes are very low and so will not always be great in a tackle.

None taken.

You really don't need 20 in tackling to take the ball off of him in the situation in my video. He literally just stood off him when he was standing still. No pressure, no tackle, no nothing, despite my tactics telling him otherwise.

You also don't need 20 anticipation to track the run of a striker. It's basic stuff here. Guy on the wing running into the box, you don't stand and watch as a striker streams past you waiting for a tap in.

My biggest gripe however was with the through ball to the winger. It was literally right at my full back who'd tracked the run the whole way and then decided not to intercept. Just really strange and while people will always dismiss it because it could happen in real life football, they never ever mention the fact that for the majority of the 90 minutes in real life football everything that I was expecting of my players they would have done.

Obviously FM had just decided that they were going to score and that was that :thdn:

When playing a network game with a few mates i cannot seem to scout any players?

When i go to scouting and new assignment the scout and location combos are disabled. I am playing as Man Utd.

In single player they are available as normal - is there an issue here with network gaming?

Just had a look and it says i am not allowed to scout an regions or nations, according to my board i have no scouting restrictions

I have also cancelled all my current scouting assignments

I'm in the same position :D though this and the coach training bug are the only two issues stopping me from playing. SI normally sort things out quickly though...

The coaching bug has a workaround, if u check the bugs forum out dude

I'm in the same position :D though this and the coach training bug are the only two issues stopping me from playing. SI normally sort things out quickly though...

what editor problem you have?

for me everything works except creating a new player...he don'tm appear in the game...

but that have a workaround...

any other problems?

what editor problem you have?

for me everything works except creating a new player...he don'tm appear in the game...

but that have a workaround...

any other problems?

Yeah its that what is causing me a problem, is there a workaround for that too?

I'm puzzled, very puzzled. Put someone down as on the loan list, got a load of offers, but the only thing it's letting me do with the offers for the player is reject them. Not accept, not delay, just reject. What's going on?

You don't need to do anything - if they are on the loan list, the loan offer is automatically accepted. It confused me for a while too :D

Hi SI please help,

I have pre-ordered through Steam. Steam does not automatically update my game. I have already verfied the cache through steam, but my game status says that I am on this version now:

13.1.1.328972 (game creation version 322253). This is not correct or is it?

Yeah its that what is causing me a problem, is there a workaround for that too?

take some unknown player...from for example cook islands...put him in your team...and change everything

it works..i try it :)

that way i created few young players who are missing for my original team..

hope it helps :)

take some unknown player...from for example cook islands...put him in your team...and change everything

it works..i try it :)

that way i created few young players who are missing for my original team..

hope it helps :)

Excellent, never thought of that! Thanks !!!

Hi SI please help,

I have pre-ordered through Steam. Steam does not automatically update my game. I have already verfied the cache through steam, but my game status says that I am on this version now:

328972 is the full game.

• Administrators
Hi SI please help,

That's the latest version, you're fine.

Absolutely. But there's a difference between "looks like a bug with x feature" and "I miss being able to do this, please bring it back" vs. "zOMG, button 473 was moved three pixels right! I played for 20 years and now I'm quitting!" My post was aimed at those who need a bit of perspective.

Archived