FM13: Borussia Dortmund - Echte Liebe.

So you are going into 3rd season? Quite large wages tbh, but he is great. Depends what patch you're using. If 13.3 then I'd give Leitner more of a go.

Yes, will be heading into third season next.

Had kind of thought similar to be honest. As good as Sahin is, Leitner, (who has impressed when called upon), is probably the better option when taking everything into account.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@tomtuck01 - Leitner has been nothing short of fantastic for me, turning in performances which convinced me to let Thiago go a season earlier than I was planning.

@Ryknow - You're getting some top-quality youngsters through your academy, whereas I'm having to poach mine from all over Europe. I see Zanetti as taking over from Gotze as my long-term AMC, with Lazarou providing my back up.

I'm still muddling through pre-season. Just analysing my squad and Schmelzer, Reus, Bender and Hummels are all 29 or older. I'm toying with the idea of starting the season with none of them in the starting line-up, to see if the youngsters could cope. I'm not sure if I can bring myself to do it yet though...

As with my first season, I'm not bothering with a full blown season review or anything like that, just half a season at a time. The first half of this campaign can be found in post number 970. Enjoy.

--------------------------

Bundesliga

Second17Games-Bundesliga13-14_zps75e4a0ce.png

BundesligaTable-Finish13-14_zps915cbe0a.png

Well we weren't quite as good as we were in the first half of the season, but we got over the line and lifted the Bundesliga title! The most pleasing aspect of it all has to be that we secured the title with victory over Bayern! Also it was nice that Thiago Alcantara performed very nicely after joining in the winter window. He wasn't great all the time, but did put in some very useful performances.

It was also good to see Cristian Benteke do so well in his first season in Germany - he finished at the leagues second top scorer with 17 goals.

DFB-Pokal

DFB-PokalQF-F13-14_zpsa5da31c9.png

So we retained the domestic cup that we won last term. We didn't have tough draws in the quarter and semi finals, and in the semis inparticular we destroyed Hertha Berlin with absolute ease. In the final we faced Kaiserslauten, who had had a decent Bundesliga season upon their return to the top flight, but we gave them a good going over to end the season on a great high.

Champions League

CL2ndRndOnwards-13-14_zps6eed6cc3.png

Bit of a nightmare really. Played well in the first leg and should've probably won, but in the second leg it all went a bit wrong. They scored two offside goals, and two from corners. We did go 1-0 up, but once they took the lead at 2-1 we were always up against it as we had to leave space at the back as we pushed for goals.

Nevermind, just got to do better next season.

What Next

Well, I doubt much. We already have a fantastic young squad that can grow together. A few will leave as they have deals expiring, but in terms of players coming in there may be a striker, but I enviage little else.

Cheers for reading. Hopefully my seasons are easy enough to follow despite me being too lazy to do a proper end of season review.

Nice work on the winning the title and DFB Pokal.

How's Benteke on yours? He had 10 for finishing in my save, which I just don't understand considering his exploits IRL. I opted for Lukaku instead and that worked well, but IRL they are both well suited for BVB.

Edit: @Numero: That would be quite the clear out. Depends on their wages but I don't think I could bring myself to selling Hummels. I want to keep Bender around, and Reus but he asks for big wages. Schmelzer is probably the most likely to leave but is a HG Club player.

Into my second season and considering bidding for Bernd Leno in the january transfer window . Reckon he's a good alternative to ter Stegen, who unfortunately recently renewed his contract. Loads of potential as well . Anyone have any experience with him? How much did he cost you, if so ? Any other less costly gk's with similar abilities ? Would prefer german.

Also, Kevin Volland is a good replacement for Lewandowski but currently misses too many clear cut chances , and he's being a bit incosistent . ''Places Shots'' PPM should come in handy . I'm using him as a deep-lying striker and sometimes inside forward ( rotating with Bojan , who seems to be a better player atm even though he still hasn't settled ) . I'm also training his composure now to get him to perform better during more important matches.

BTW, Nuri Sahin and Gundogan/Mkhitaryan make an amazing midfield duo. Especially Nuri Sahin who seems to be on fire right now. I got him for 6M€ but his wages demands were quite steep ( A bit ridiculous, since Dortmunds is his favorite club in-game and IRL) . Loads of tackles, interceptions and quality passing throughout.

Meanwhile:

2qkldt5.png

Nice, managed to unsettle him, looking forward now to him being transfer listed in January, haha.

Tomtuck: Good to hear regarding Benteke. Talented player.

Oneflyride: Leno, Zieler and ter Stegen are all good options, with ter Stegen capable of being the best in the game imho. Don't worry about him signing a new deal. He signed 2 new deals while I was chasing him. I kept praising him and declaring interest and eventually got him for €16mil +50% sell on clause for the start of 2nd season. It just means he'll ask for more money, but is worth it. Got lucky as they wanted €26mil, not sure why they accepted my bid as I'll never sell him. Judging by others £18-20mil is the average price to get him from Gladbach, but he's definitely worth it.

I've had Zieler but only as a backup option who I moved on later as it wasn't fair having him just sitting on the bench. He's a good keeper but won't get near ter Stegen's level.

Leno is probably closer to ter Stegen's potential and always plays well against me. Great keeper, but I've only had him in FM12. I'd say he'd cost you around the same for ter Stegen. The longer you wait on either, the higher the price will be.

Volland's a great player and a good amount of potential for you to mould him into what you want. I went the deep-lying striker route as Lukaku is my main scorer.

Great to hear about Nuri, Gündogan Mkhitaryan trio. Is that a flat 3 CM midfield?

He is yes. Think he finished the season with 22 golas and six assists from 35 appearances. Add to that Reus and Mkhitaryan getting 17 & 15 goals respectively and we did ok up top.

May however look for another out-and-out striker. When Benteke was unavailable I was going with Reus or Mkhitaryan, which though it worked, it wasn't ideal. Have also got Michael Rauth from Kaiserslautern, and a couple of regens, though they won't be eligible to play for another year.

Has anyone had any experience with Granit Xhaka?

I'm also trying to find a player suitable to play the Libero role, the lad Leon G would have been a good option but he's just moved to Schalke so it'll cost too much to prize him away.

Oneflyride: Leno, Zieler and ter Stegen are all good options, with ter Stegen capable of being the best in the game imho. Don't worry about him signing a new deal. He signed 2 new deals while I was chasing him. I kept praising him and declaring interest and eventually got him for €16mil +50% sell on clause for the start of 2nd season. It just means he'll ask for more money, but is worth it. Got lucky as they wanted €26mil, not sure why they accepted my bid as I'll never sell him. Judging by others £18-20mil is the average price to get him from Gladbach, but he's definitely worth it.

I've had Zieler but only as a backup option who I moved on later as it wasn't fair having him just sitting on the bench. He's a good keeper but won't get near ter Stegen's level.

Leno is probably closer to ter Stegen's potential and always plays well against me. Great keeper, but I've only had him in FM12. I'd say he'd cost you around the same for ter Stegen. The longer you wait on either, the higher the price will be.

Volland's a great player and a good amount of potential for you to mould him into what you want. I went the deep-lying striker route as Lukaku is my main scorer.

Great to hear about Nuri, Gündogan Mkhitaryan trio. Is that a flat 3 CM midfield?

I think I'll end up getting Leno as he's unsettled and should be transfer listed during the January transfer window. I'd love to get ter Stegen but he'd cost me around 25m € and I don't have it right now , + my wages expenses are quite high so 48 months payment is out of the question.

No, I'm playing Bender as DMC (he's brilliant aswell, as you all know haha) and 2 MC's : Sahin as more of a deep-lying playmaker with Gundogan a bit further with more attacking mentality (Not using TC) . They're both hard-working though and complement each other a lot. Mkhitaryan is also fantastic as cover for Gundogan, and my new signing Rode is settling in well with good performances . Will prove to be a good signing for 10M€ surely.

My transfer center history, if anyone's interested :

n2g0w7.jpg

Any way to make this bigger?

Preseason round up time, including afew transfers, matches, etc. Enjoy.

Transfers

A budget of £24million was handed to me this summer, and with me not anticipating much activity it was more than enough for what I wanted.

Transfers14-15_zps67b0b95d.png

We negotiated all summer long for Bernard, with Mineiro initially not budging from there £37million valuation. Eventually we got it down a bit and signed a player who can give us another option and add a bit of magic perhaps when needs be. Sahin has come in on another season long loan, with us just paying £42,000 p/w of his wages.

The sales paid for the Bernard deal, with the Vergini sale representing great business after signing him for free just a year ago. I didn't wish to lose Alderweireld, but I'm simply not tripling somes wages. His agent was been a pain so I just decided to sell - bought for £8.75million, two years later sold for £23million. I'm happy with that.

The window has ended with some money still in the bank if a player or two is needed in the January window.

Preseason Matches

Preseason14-15_zps06365d62.png

A solid little preseason with a tour to Switzerland and South Korea giving the team some good match fitness. In the middle of that was the Super Cup against lat years beaten German Cup finalists Kaiserslauten. We won comfortably 3-1, with Erik Lamela grabbig a couple of goals for an early confidence boost heading into the new season.

The season is well underway, so another update will come some time over the weekend!!

So, a quick update.

Transfers in have already been dealt with in my last post, but transfers out changed before the end of the transfer window.

De Jong has joined Napoli for £10m. He didn't make a single appearance last season, and the amount of young talent we've got in the forward ranks meant I felt it was time to move him on, despite the fans thinking it was an aberration.

Bittencourt put in a transfer request, so has joined Valencia, again for £10m. Simply put, I don't want players who don't want to be here.

Schmelzer has joined SLB on loan, with a view to a permanent £15m move. Essentially, this has been made in order to allow Ademola enough game time to develop fully.

Halilovic has also departed, heading to PSG for a whopping £40m. Easily the hardest transfer decision I made this summer, but ultimately he wasn't home grown, and all of that transfer fee is profit, as he was brought in on a free.

I'm 12 games into the Bundesliga campaign, and am 1 point clear of Bayern in second. I've won both the European Super Cup, beating Athletic 5-1, and the German Super Cup was sealed with a 3-0 win over Munster. In Europe, we've topped our group with 6 wins out of 6, scoring 27 and conceding just 3 against Rapid Wien, Shakhter and Palermo. Not the most testing of groups, but you can only beat what is put in front of you I guess.

I suppose the most pleasing thing has been doing all this without Bender, Hummels, Schmelzer, Schurrle and Reus. All of them are still in the squad, but haven't made a single appearance. I've put my trust well and truly in my crop of youngsters, and its looking so far like trust well placed. Manuel Adam in particular has been a revelation at AML, with 8 goals and 8 assists in 12 appearances. On that form, Schurrle wouldn't have got a look in anyway. Lazarou has 6 goals and 7 assists from 10 starts at AMC, and from MC Johnson has a very healthy return of 7 goals and 3 assists from just 6 starts.

I'm planning on moving on the established stars over the next two transfer windows. No doubt the fans will be up in arms, but back-to-back Bundesliga titles, as well as the Champions League twice in three seasons, I'm thinking they should trust my judgement.

Quick update from my save;

I'm currently just at the end of my Third Season, in this time iv won 2 Titles (came 2nd first season to Bayern who lost only 1 game!) , won the german cup every year (3) and FINALLY just beat PSG in the Final of the champions league.

My team is ridiculously good, im at work at the mo but they are all coming into age and majority are mid 20's although bear in mind I have not used a transfer and so I still have Gotze :D yet Lewa was sold first season as he wouldn't sign a new deal.

My line up is based on this :

Ter Stegen / Rodriguez (Regen)

Corchia ---- Hummels/Okore -----Zouma/Papadopolous (schalke) ---- Schmelzer / Tobo (Regen)

Bender/Enriquez (BWM) Gundy/Goretzka (DLP)

Lamela (AMR) Ozil/Gotze (AP) Reus/Lisowski (regen)

Maupay / Volland

This team along with some others iv forgotten to mention rip it apart. Goretzka, Maupay and volland in particular are must buys.

Lamela

Finally signed ter Stegen for a fee of 22,5M€ , my finances are a bit ruined now but I needed a quality GK badly as Weidenfeller wasn't performing at his best anymore. Also sold Pisczek to Bayern (fans are a bit angry,sigh) for 13M€ , will be getting Sebastian Jung from Stuttgart for a fee of 7M€ as he's transfer listed, not bad.

• 2 weeks later...

DortmundTifo-600x450.jpg

Pre season

5k9QpD9.png

Decided to play fringe/youth and few first team players in our pre season and SuperCup. Happy to see us putting 9 goals past Kehl.

Transfers

Dy65Lsv.png

Ax4DSFF.png

his agent offered him to me, hoping to develop him nicely for the future.

NnpcI9W.png

Got released by Anderlecht in the summer and agent offered him to me. Decent back up to Leroy.

JKvayDr.png

Paid 4.5M for him from Bilbao. Chief scout thinks he'll be the top keeper in the future, decided to bring him in for back up due me selling other goalkeepers.

U66Rhvo.png

Paid 4.5M for him from Atlético Madrid and was rately highly from my scouts. Already scored 4 in 2 games for U's19.

Out - Finally sold Reus, I accepted to pay 65K p/w so he can move to Porto on lower wage.

Leroy and Dumont got called up by France and got capped :cool: Dumount for 2 goals on his debut.

Currently got 119M to spend but board won't let me put it toward wages budget. Wage budget: 2.79M p/w - spending 983,782 p/w

Brought in Evra as U's19 coach and Ibrahimovic as U's19 manager

Well, its taken me an age to finish this season. Turns out work gets in the way a little...

Season Review 2018/2019

German Super Cup:

A routine 3-0 victory over Munster with goals from Loustau, Johnson and Adam brought us our first trophy of the season. As expected, we dominated from the first whistle, and the result was never really in doubt.

European Super Cup:

A Leitner hat-trick was the undoubted highlight of our 5-1 mauling of Athletic Bilbao, with Lazarou and Maupay joining Leitner on the scoresheet. A fantastic result, especially considering that this was when my new-look side was in its embryonic stage.

World Club Championship:

ES Tunis were beaten 4-0 in the semi-final, and Mexico's America were defeated 3-0 in the final. Oddly, over the two games, we had 7 different scorers. Nothing like sharing the goalscoring around, and our third trophy of the season was sealed.

DFB-Pokal:

Being perfectly honest, we should have been knocked out by Stuttgart in the second round. 3-2 in the 89th minute, we somehow grabbed a 4-3 win. Utterly ridiculous, but not quite the most dramatic end to a game this season. More on that later...

FSV Frankfurt, Freiburg and Augsburg were beaten on the way to the final, where we faced Bayern. We chose not to turn up, and were comfortably beaten 2-0, ending our chances of winning the trophy for the third year on the spin. No complaints though.

Bundesliga:

However, in the league we did secure a third straight triumph, with the title all wrapped up with 5 games to spare. Amassing 81 points, we won the title at a canter, with Bayern languishing a whole 14 points behind us by the end of the season. As you would probably expect, we scored the most (75) and conceded the least (29). Yet I still think we can do better, particularly away from home, where we lost 5 games this season (Freiburg, Wolfsburg, Nuremberg, Bayern and HSV). I was overlooked for the manager of the year, only finishing third, and Bayern had more players in the team of the year than us. Odd to say the least.

Champions League:

An easy group of Shakhter, Rapid Wien and Palermo was topped, and we comfortably saw off Valencia in the last 16. Galatasaray were dispatched in the quarters, leaving us against Real Madrid in the semis, the team that knocked us out two seasons ago. A 1-0 defeat in the Bernebeau in the first leg was a fantastic result considering they absolutely battered us for the whole 90 minutes. Kawashima put in the performance of his life between the sticks to give us a fighting chance in the second leg. And then this happened:

j5kumx.jpg

:D - Gobsmacked to say the least. Possibly the most complete performance of my reign to date. This set up a final against Napoli, the team I had sold Luuk De Jong to in the summer. It was always going to happen, wasn't it? Luckily, my side decided that wasn't to be the whole script. A nervy game as we wasted chance after chance, extra time, and penalties looked certain. I seem to always lose penalties. It turns out this game didn't go to penalties...

6f3vc9.png

Cue wild celebrations, and me professing my undying love for a lad called Ernst. That's not something that happens every day I tell you...

Squad analysis:

Goalkeepers:

Kawashima is possibly the best keeper I have ever managed on this game, which makes it so frustrating that Japan keep calling him up every five minutes. 12 clean sheets in 20 league games shows his talent, particularly when you consider he is playing in a side with some much attacking intent. Volpicelli is developing well, and will most certainly replace Sippel as my second choice next season. Sippel has done a good job, but at 31 its time for him to depart the club.

Defenders:

Loustau and Bertani were fantastic again, and I'm sure I'll be batting off bids for them again this summer. At left back, Ademola has stepped up, and Plattenhardt has pushed him far. I'm keen to promote M'Bengue into the first team squad next season, so I may let Plattenhardt go, but I'm not sure yet. At centre back, Gunter, Gusmao and Moreau were all truly outstanding, and even Peter produced when called upon. I'm definitely well stocked defensively for years to come.

Central midfielders:

I was really impressed with Johnson's contribution in his first full season, and he pushed Leitner and Goretzka for a starting place this year. Rode did his defensive duties well, and was ably deputised by Lewandowski. I've got a few youngsters developing well in this position, and it may be that one of them joins the first team squad next season, as suspensions and injuries hit us hard in the middle of the pitch at times this season.

Attacking midfielders:

Adam was the stand-out performer, with 16 goals and 19 assists from 31 appearances at AML in his first season in our squad. Volland, flitting between AML and AMC, netted 16 goals and 12 assists from 28 appearances, which was also massively pleasing. My biggest threat definitely came down the left hand side, and this is something I might need to address next season, as although Vukasinovic and Acuna did well, they didn't set the world alight. At AMC, Lazarou has done well, but Gotze was massively disappointing. It may be time for him to go.

Strikers:

Brendel (28 goals in 24 games) and Maupay (27 in 27) were fantastically outstanding, and I simply couldn't have asked for any more. They provided the cutting edge that fired us to the title and European glory. Karanka was used sparingly, netting 6 goals in 9 games, which was pleasing.

Highlights

03/10/2015. This date will rankle with me for a long time, as its still my only home league defeat as manager of Dortmund. 16 wins and a draw this season kept our extraordinary run going. Its almost as if we expect three points when we step out at home. I'm loving it. Not really sure how I'll cope if we do lose a home league game.

Back-to-back Champions League victories and three titles on the spin have started to make me wonder how much more I can do here.

In my six seasons I've won:

4 Bundesliga titles

3 Champions League titles

1 Europa League title

2 DFB-Pokal titles

2 German Super Cups

3 European Super Cups

2 World Club Championships

Not a bad trophy haul really...

Targets for next season

More of the same I guess. Getting rid of Hummels, Bender, Schurrle, Reus, Schmelzer and Gotze permanently this summer is my primary aim, as well as recruiting some more talented youngsters. Gotze aside, none of them made a single appearance in the first team squad this season, and looking at our results, its hard to argue we missed them a whole lot.

I guess my big issue now is whether or not to continue, or to start a new game. I'm more than likely not going to get FM14 until Christmas, so I've got enough time to have another long-term, decent save. This save, and in particularly the guys who have contributed so actively to this thread, have taught me a lot about player development, and I'd love to try that out with someone else, either my beloved Arsenal or a lower-league team, building a team of youngsters and seeing them get better and better as we climb the leagues. I'm just not sure I can bring myself to leave Dortmund after investing so much time. Oddly, my last long term save was Napoli (on last year's game) and that is pretty much Arsenal's Champions League group.

• 3 weeks later...

im starting my first dormund save.,... only ever played in Bundesliga with Werder Bremen (back when ozil was still ard).

read from the posts here that some blokes used the editor to formalise gortze transfer to bayern for 37 mil in 1 july 2012. so tats wat i did as well.

as for lewandoslki not renewing, i decided to chase in on him in the first transfer window. He went to Barca for 38 mil

i re-invested the money in german youngsters and belgian players

Fellaini arrived for 35mil over 48 mths

Radja Nainggolan arrived for 21 mil over 48 mths

Mattias Ginter arrived for 12mil over 24 mths

Samed Yesil arrived from liverpool for 8mil over 24mths

Leon goretzka arrived for 7mil over 48 mths

Dennis Praet arrived for 3.5mil over 24 mths

my game plan was to use Fellaini at CF to replace Lewandoslki instead of buying a replacement striker.

Fellaini has execellent mental and technical skills and is physically a monster, more than capable of bullying any opposition CBs.

he will fit in well with 4-2-3-1 becos he has Comes deep to collect ball PPM

Radja Nainggolan was brought in to free İlkay Gündoğan to replace Gortze at AMC

Looking at İlkay Gündoğan, i feel his positioning is too low to play further down and it wld be a waste to spend points to train his defensive skills

he is actually relatively quick on his feet.

Radja Nainggolan pairs with Sven Bender and i cancelled Nuri Sahin loan (his wages are too high).

going to rotate the youngsters into the team as the season goes.

my next move is to pick up experienced players as mentors and also to cover any long term injuries.

im looking at Owen HArgareaves to cover central midfield and the entire right wing (although he has fitness problems, he has excellent mental stats and speaks german)

also looking at Kanu (nigerian striker) to help train Samed Yesil

looking for a good mentor at AMC level. (Any suggestions?)

• 4 weeks later...
im starting my first dormund save.,... only ever played in Bundesliga with Werder Bremen (back when ozil was still ard).

read from the posts here that some blokes used the editor to formalise gortze transfer to bayern for 37 mil in 1 july 2012. so tats wat i did as well.

as for lewandoslki not renewing, i decided to chase in on him in the first transfer window. He went to Barca for 38 mil

i re-invested the money in german youngsters and belgian players

Fellaini arrived for 35mil over 48 mths

Radja Nainggolan arrived for 21 mil over 48 mths

Mattias Ginter arrived for 12mil over 24 mths

Samed Yesil arrived from liverpool for 8mil over 24mths

Leon goretzka arrived for 7mil over 48 mths

Dennis Praet arrived for 3.5mil over 24 mths

my game plan was to use Fellaini at CF to replace Lewandoslki instead of buying a replacement striker.

Fellaini has execellent mental and technical skills and is physically a monster, more than capable of bullying any opposition CBs.

he will fit in well with 4-2-3-1 becos he has Comes deep to collect ball PPM

Radja Nainggolan was brought in to free İlkay Gündoğan to replace Gortze at AMC

Looking at İlkay Gündoğan, i feel his positioning is too low to play further down and it wld be a waste to spend points to train his defensive skills

he is actually relatively quick on his feet.

Radja Nainggolan pairs with Sven Bender and i cancelled Nuri Sahin loan (his wages are too high).

going to rotate the youngsters into the team as the season goes.

my next move is to pick up experienced players as mentors and also to cover any long term injuries.

im looking at Owen HArgareaves to cover central midfield and the entire right wing (although he has fitness problems, he has excellent mental stats and speaks german)

also looking at Kanu (nigerian striker) to help train Samed Yesil

looking for a good mentor at AMC level. (Any suggestions?)

You can post this here mate:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/373623-FM14-Borussia-Dortmund-Echte-Liebe?p=9201995#post9201995

And help you there as i see you play fm 2014.

Archived