FM13: Borussia Dortmund - Echte Liebe.

I sold a few back up and reserve players but still didn't scrape enough cash for another centre back - although tbh that wouldn't have been necessary so far, as Hummels (appointed club captain) and Subotic have played every minute so far.

Buy Jores Okore. He will do the job for cheap and has great potential.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okore does look quite tasty - scout reckons potential to be as good as Hummels. But apparently he's not interested in joining Dortmund.

My current transfer targets:

GK: ter Stegen, Leno, Butland (cheap)

DR: de Sciglio, Corchia, Mario Fernandes

DC: Zouma, Ginter, Kirchhoff

DMC: Tachtsidis, Emre Can, Cirigliano

AML: Sterling, Sarabia, Ljajic (cheap

FC: Ademilson, Dongou, Niang

Great effort :thup:

Just two remakrs however.

Professional football was frowned upon in Germany until the late 1960ies, thus the clubs was not founded as a professional football club.

The brewery being responsible for the name is an unconfirmed rumour. Borussia, being the Latin name of Prussia (i.e. all of northern and eastern Germany), is a common name for football clubs in Germany.

Constantly picking up the three points despite playing poorly. Always a good sign, I suppose. Jakub Błaszczykowski has saved my backside on numerous occasions, coming off the bench to score or assist a goal, his pace is a great asset to have as a substitute!

What a fantastic thread start. Every year on FM I get a team I love to manage and this time it's Dortmund.

As ever with me, I've made a lot of changes - more than I should really but it's great fun. First season I won the league by 5pts from Schalke and was knocked out of the CL on away goals by Real Madrid in the 1/4 Finals. I was surprised to win the league as I lost 7 games but Bayern struggled to 4th place and in the end it was comfortable. I thought that Lewandowski would be better than he was (17 goals total), and he missed loads of chances which would have finished Real Madrid off at 2-0 in the home leg and 0-0 in the away leg. Błaszczykowski and Perisic also didn't play all that well. at the start of the game, I bought in Adryan and loaned him out for the season. When the Board increased my transfer kitty to £6.5m in January I bought in Kirchhoff and Jantschke for £6.5m each (over 36 months). Kirchhoff averaged 7.26 at Mainz and 7.85 with me, Jantschke was good FB cover.

At the start of the summer, City offered £24m for Hummels and I took it. This, understandably, displeased Grosskreutz and Perisic and despite the players I subsequently bought in, both asked for transfers on deadline day as I had promised them new players. Perisic went to Valencia for £8.5m and I am hoping to convince Grosskreutz to stay as he is getting goals and high ratings consistently. Błaszczykowski has gone on loan to l'OM and I intend to bring him back and give him another chance next season while Schieber went to Zaragoza for £6m. Lewandowski went to Barca, also for £24m, when I decided to 'test the market' when he demanded £80,000pw in wages. With my new found riches I went for young players generally. I got ter Stegen for £14m, Ginter for £7.25m and Galeano for £5m for the centre back positions, Cuenca on loan from Barca, Schmiedebach for £5m + Santana and Dodo from Roma for £3.5m as cover at LB. Up front I brought in Luuk de Jong for £11m, Javier Hernandez for £9.75m (beating Bayern to that deal) and Ademilson for £5.25m. With ter Stegen on board I didn't want to pay Weidenfeller £42k pw to be a back up (although h'd had a v.good 1st season) so I got Rensing for £1.4m on £20k pw and sold Weidenfeller for £2.5m to Leverkusen. This upset the fans somewhat. I really wanted Schurrle and Lars Bender but couldn't get either.

So I now have a very young, exciting (I think) squad and the 2nd season is off to a flyer. Won the German Super Cup 3-1 against Frankfurt, beat St. Pauli 4-1 away and Leverkusen 5-2 at home. Hernandez has 3 goals and 2 assists in the 2 league games. I was in pot 3 in the CL and I have Zenit, Real Madrid and Dynamo in my group. Strangely, Lewandowski has already been transfer listed at Barca and put in the B Squad.

What a fantastic thread start. Every year on FM I get a team I love to manage and this time it's Dortmund.

As ever with me, I've made a lot of changes - more than I should really but it's great fun. First season I won the league by 5pts from Schalke and was knocked out of the CL on away goals by Real Madrid in the 1/4 Finals. I was surprised to win the league as I lost 7 games but Bayern struggled to 4th place and in the end it was comfortable. I thought that Lewandowski would be better than he was (17 goals total), and he missed loads of chances which would have finished Real Madrid off at 2-0 in the home leg and 0-0 in the away leg. Błaszczykowski and Perisic also didn't play all that well. at the start of the game, I bought in Adryan and loaned him out for the season. When the Board increased my transfer kitty to £6.5m in January I bought in Kirchhoff and Jantschke for £6.5m each (over 36 months). Kirchhoff averaged 7.26 at Mainz and 7.85 with me, Jantschke was good FB cover.

At the start of the summer, City offered £24m for Hummels and I took it. This, understandably, displeased Grosskreutz and Perisic and despite the players I subsequently bought in, both asked for transfers on deadline day as I had promised them new players. Perisic went to Valencia for £8.5m and I am hoping to convince Grosskreutz to stay as he is getting goals and high ratings consistently. Błaszczykowski has gone on loan to l'OM and I intend to bring him back and give him another chance next season while Schieber went to Zaragoza for £6m. Lewandowski went to Barca, also for £24m, when I decided to 'test the market' when he demanded £80,000pw in wages. With my new found riches I went for young players generally. I got ter Stegen for £14m, Ginter for £7.25m and Galeano for £5m for the centre back positions, Cuenca on loan from Barca, Schmiedebach for £5m + Santana and Dodo from Roma for £3.5m as cover at LB. Up front I brought in Luuk de Jong for £11m, Javier Hernandez for £9.75m (beating Bayern to that deal) and Ademilson for £5.25m. With ter Stegen on board I didn't want to pay Weidenfeller £42k pw to be a back up (although h'd had a v.good 1st season) so I got Rensing for £1.4m on £20k pw and sold Weidenfeller for £2.5m to Leverkusen. This upset the fans somewhat. I really wanted Schurrle and Lars Bender but couldn't get either.

So I now have a very young, exciting (I think) squad and the 2nd season is off to a flyer. Won the German Super Cup 3-1 against Frankfurt, beat St. Pauli 4-1 away and Leverkusen 5-2 at home. Hernandez has 3 goals and 2 assists in the 2 league games. I was in pot 3 in the CL and I have Zenit, Real Madrid and Dynamo in my group. Strangely, Lewandowski has already been transfer listed at Barca and put in the B Squad.

Which tactic did you use first season? Thinking of starting with Dortmund but have no idea how to play Lewandowski, Reus and Gotze.

Which tactic did you use first season? Thinking of starting with Dortmund but have no idea how to play Lewandowski, Reus and Gotze.

I'm only a few games in, (late September), and Reus has spent a fair bit of time injured so I can't really help you with him.

Regarding Lewandowski though, I use him as an Advanced Forward in a 4-2(DM's)-3-1. The only default instructions I have changed is to switch his Wide Play to Normal from Moves Into Channels, and to lower his Long Shots to Rarely. So far so good, as he's scored thirteen goals in eight games thus far.

As for Gotze, I have had him as my AMC, set as an Advanced Playmaker - Support. He has been solid if not spectacular, assisting five in seven appearances.

Great post guys!

I am wondering how everybody uses Reus?

I normally put Gotze as left IF (support) and Kuba as right winger (support). Is it wise to set Reus on the AMC position as trequartista? To be honest, i a even thinking about using Reus as striker. (trying to sell lewandowski to bring in some extra transfer budget)

I think Gotze makes for a better playmaker/treq and Reus (if he's on the left) a better IF. They're both right-footed, but Reus's main advantage over Gotze is his finishing and long shots. I'd rather have Gotze pulling the strings. I also think Gotze potentially makes a better winger (at AMR) as his crossing is superior.

Maybe also worth bearing in mind that Gotze is natural at AMC and Reus at AMR - they are both accomplished at AML. So another reason to play Gotze in the centre.

Personally I've been mixing it up. Reus and Perisic are doing better than Gotze and Kuba for me.

Also - is selling Lewandoski the best way to raise transfer funds? I'd have thought you'd have to spend a lot of money, or take time developing youth, to replace him. Probably better to sell Reus or Kuba if you need cash, since there is more cover and promising youth in the attacking midfield positions.

Mainly the formation below.

GK (Def)

FB (Sup) - CD (Def) - BPD (Def) - FB (Sup)

Anchor Man - DM (Sup)

AMR (IF) - AM (AP) - AML (IF)

ST (DLP or AF)

I sometimes switched the wide AMs to play 3 central AMs and then switched the full backs to wing backs to give the width. Also sometimes I put the DM into a CM position, Leitner came in to CM and scored a few goals in those cases.

I found that Reus was most effective as the AM (IF) from the right but was good from the left too, Lewandowski scored most of his goals as a DLP or Advanced forward - although I never really worked him out over the season. Gotze played AMC (AP) and was well into double digits for assists but only got 2 goals. I subbed him a lot as his condition seemed to drop quickly.

Mainly the formation below.

GK (Def)

FB (Sup) - CD (Def) - BPD (Def) - FB (Sup)

Anchor Man - DM (Sup)

AMR (IF) - AM (AP) - AML (IF)

ST (DLP or AF)

I sometimes switched the wide AMs to play 3 central AMs and then switched the full backs to wing backs to give the width. Also sometimes I put the DM into a CM position, Leitner came in to CM and scored a few goals in those cases.

I found that Reus was most effective as the AM (IF) from the right but was good from the left too, Lewandowski scored most of his goals as a DLP or Advanced forward - although I never really worked him out over the season. Gotze played AMC (AP) and was well into double digits for assists but only got 2 goals. I subbed him a lot as his condition seemed to drop quickly.

Thanks for this, hoping to get the game tomorrow and make a start with Dortmund. Also hoping that this Dortmund thread can have a lot of people playing with them. Would be great to see loads of you playing with them.

Finally brought the game a week late :p but I've started with Dortmund.

Looking to play a 4231 formation and want to get the best out of Lewandowski so playing him as an advanced forward.

So far, only brought in Ruben Yttergard Jenssen for £1.7 over 48 months. Also hoping to get Alan Dzagoev on a free in January.

Played 1 game against Dortmund II and won 1-0. Leitner with the goal :)

Hey guys, I have started a game with Dortmund but a number of players our ineligible for friendlies, notable players too (ie Reus, Lewandowski, Gotze etc) I have checked squad registration and they are all registered.

Is there a particular reason for this or am I missing anything?

Cheers

I'm playing a 4-2-3-1 and have been tinkering with it as I feel I should be getting better performances. I'm second in the league at the beginning of Feb (Bayern are 12 points ahead but I have a game in hand) and went out of the Champs Lge and the German Cup far too early.

I made a few changes to personnel in January, partly to address my weakness (fullback) and partly to build for the future.

I was given additional money to spend and also sold Piszczek to Bayern for £10m. They are welcome to him and his positioning 7, concentration 9, marking 8! He just cost me too many goals and didn't assist enough.

I brought in:

Hugo Mallo (DR) - £8.75m

Ademilson (FC) - £5.75m

Jetro Willems (DL) - £10m

Jan Kirchhoff (DC/DMC) - £15m

Manu Badu (DMC/MC) - £3.1m

Alan Dzagoev (AMC/MC) - free

These guys are all young and have good potential. Things are now looking good for a strong squad over the next few years, as we all know how well stocked Dortmund are at MC and in the AMC line.

I also want to sell Schmelzer, who has performed nearly as badly as Piszczek. Neil Taylor is now first choice but I suspect that Willems will take the spot sooner rather than later.

Just a quick update with a few screenies of my transfers and league table. Finding it hard to get the best out of Gotze and Lewandowski. Atm I've set Lewandowski as a poacher and has 6 goals in 10 games and he's also my target man. Playing a 4231 formation and can't get Reus playing well at all. Any tips?

Currently top after 10 games and also got Dzagoev coming on a free in January. All in all, positive signs so far.

Transfers

League table

Struggling to find suggestions of players really - can't get ter Stegen in first season because of the 2.5m transfer kitty, trying to sell off one of perisic or goebkreutz but haven't been able to so far - i desperately need some form of set piece taker lol - there is none whatsoever in the club

also finding 13 a bit weird, all the new training features and whatnot have left me a bit confused on where to start

Struggling to find suggestions of players really - can't get ter Stegen in first season because of the 2.5m transfer kitty, trying to sell off one of perisic or goebkreutz but haven't been able to so far - i desperately need some form of set piece taker lol - there is none whatsoever in the club

There's absolutely no need for you to buy Marc-André ter Stegen in the first transfer window. I only suggested him as a possibly long-term replacement for Roman Weidenfeller.

Another good option would be Anthony Vanden Borre, who starts FM13 as a free agent.

I finished my first season with Dortmund and did well and won the league. Also reached the German Cup final but lost to Bayern in which they scored 2 late goals. Got a few managers awards, few players in Team of the year and here's some screenies. (signed ter stegen in January)

245x6cn.png

29w1wuh.png

My only problem was that I couldn't keep enough clean sheets, here's my 2nd season transfers. Sold Piszczek, thought his defensive attributes were too low. Signed Peruzzi as a replacement. Also sold Kuba as I was hardly playing him and just signed Isco.

vzdmw3.png

(the first 2 transfers are regens)

I don,t know how you get this team to work but this is imposible. They are awful and I don't know why. I tried evry variation of 4-2-3-1 tactic , atacking , counter, fluid , balanced, short , direct, man marking, zonal, with Gotze as Ap support or winger or IF.... it's simply impossible...8 games losing in a row ...I didn't have problem with any team like this one....

Can somebody recreate real Klopp's tactic ?

Quick update on the start to my 2nd season, won the super cup against Frankfurt. 6 games into the league and I've won 5 lost 1. The loss was 1-0 at Freiburg with a lot of players rested due to playing against Real Madrid away on the Tuesday after. Scoring lots, conceding too many but winning games. Not had a lot of tough fixtures early, I'm at Schalke soon.

In the CL I drew Real, Zenit and Dinamo. I drew 2-2 at Real, having lead twice but conceding a late equaliser - but only had 3 attempts at goal so no complaints at not winning! Then I've beaten Zenit 3-1 with a hat trick from Hernandez. If I can get 6 points off of Dinamo I'll be safely through.

Signings have settled well. Schmiedebach has been superb, ter Stegen is getting high scores but finding clean sheets hard to come by as part of a young defence with attacking full backs. Javier Hernandez has been a revelation, scoring 11 goals in his first 7 games, meaning Luuk de Jong has struggled for a look in despite 2 goals in the super cup. The fans are still very angry that I sold Weidenfeller to Leverkusen.

We've got £62m in the bank, with the year projection showing £82m balance so I'm hoping the board will give me some more funds if I want to strengthen (currently £4.5m budget left) but I've got nothing urgent and am ooking for very young regens mainly. Still after Lars Bender and Schurrle but the asking price is currently £52m each!

Elsewhere, Bayern have given 'Arry Redknapp the Managers job! He'd ended the first season at Chelsea so I didn't see that coming. Lewandowski is banging them in for Barcelona B after his £24m move in the summer - he's on the list for £14m now. And Liverpool sacked Rodgers to bring back Rafa, who promptly signed Gareth Barry, which made me chuckle.

This is a great thread and such an enjoyable save with Dortmund this year. What a squad. I am packing the midfield playing a 5-5-0 tactic.

As the attacking mifield I have Reus in the middle with Blaszczykowski on the right and one of Gotze or GroBkreutz. Centre Mid is trickier. I had to sign Jenas on loan to be a backup to Bender and Gundogan. defence picks itself. But Santana is having a storming season. I signed Drenthe on a free to be a backup wing back on the left.

I beat Bayern 1-4 in the super cup. I sit top after 6 games and haven't lost once. Superb fun with Dortmund. I think I'll start following them IRL in the Bundesliga!!!

Ivan Perišić just scored an incredible 5(!!) goals in one game from the left-wing against Bayer Leverkusen in our rather entertaining 7-3 victory! He's really bounced back well after previously being alienated and requesting a transfer! He's now 'enjoying playing for the club' and has even signed a new deal! I just managed to get a deal wrapped up for Mehdi Benatia for just £5.75M, and he'll be joining in January. Currently top of the table, with 32 points after 13 games.

managed to get ter stegen in january with a part exchange deal involving grobkreutz who wasn't that great for me. stupidly sold off weidermann (who was awful) to find that i can't play Ter Stegen in the CL.... needless to say i didn't last very long after that

perisic who i initially listed has been really good surprisingly, really good IF on the left wing and reus on the right wing, but kuba has been pretty strong as well so it's a good rotation. really struggling with defence though, tbh i'm pretty sure it's the match engine but the amount of really weird defender errors is stupid on this game, so many times with awful positioning or players just looking at the ball

Started with Dortmund and wanted to ask you guys a question, which youngsters should i invest the most?

well let me first tell you my starting eleven:

Ter Stegen-Jung-Hummels-Kirchhoff-Schmelzer-Kehl(Bender)-Ilkay-Reus-Perisic-Lewandovski

i try to use bittencourt, koray gunter, grobkreutz, mattias ginter moriz leitner and zimmermann as you can see guys like ginter and zimmermann are also additional transfers, the squad is all german with the expection of Lewan and perisic

some notes;

*Perisic is amazing, he plays both left and right, as an inside forward, and half way through the first season: 11 goals so far with 4 assists

*Jung played really good so far in the right back, and he improved his attributes really well too.

*Kirchhoff is also playing great, he and hummels are very good partners.

now let me repeat my question

A)which youngsters should i invest the most? Leitner , Bittencourt, Gunter, Ginter etc..

B)What do you guys think about Fullkrug or Lasogga? I want to buy a german striker for next year..

CapaJr, i really like Kirchhoff (best german defender in 2018!). Leitner is also great. I think Fullkrug would be a good reserve, nothing more.

In my case, I'm the king in Bundesliga, but i just cant win anything in europe :(

Bayern and others are my bitches, but when I play agains Chelsea, Man Utd, Barcelona, I never win :(

My team is:

GK: ter Stegen, Mannel

Full Backs: Schmelzer, Schwaab, Matteoli and Célio (regens)

Centre Backs: Kirchhoff, Subotic, Ginter and Sadikovic (Regen)

Midfielders: Sven Bender, Lars Bender, Sigdursson, Yttegard Jenssen, Gallus (regen)

Attacking Midfielders and Wingers: Gotze, Lucas Moura, Reus, Schurrle, Adrian Bruno (regen), Isco

Strikers: Arif Menderes (world class regen), Grob (regen), Giuseppe Rossi and Josimar (regen)

I think I need better full backs and maybe a world class midfielder, but I think my team is good enough to win something in europe (the problem may be the coach)

My regens:

Arif Menderes:

arif1z.jpg

another of him:

arif2.jpg

Soren Grob:

grobc.jpg

Adrian Bruno:

brunow.jpg

Lukas Gallus:

gallus.jpg

Sadikovic:

sadikovic.jpg

Celio:

celiop.jpg

Matteoli:

matteoli.jpg

how many of those regens are from your academy, and scouting which region do you generally come across those regens?

your teams look really good. i brought schurrle too, btw, i sold Lewan for 42M Euro's to Benfica, what do you think about the deal?

now i have : Son Heung Min as my first striker, Ademilson as second, Samed Yesil as my third.

My line up for the secon season:

STEGEN-JUNG-KIRCHHOFF-HUMMELS-SCHMELZER- BENDER-GUNDOGAN-REUS-GOTZE-SCHURRLE-SON HEUNG MIN

4-2-3-1

I've put my Dortmund save on hold for the moment, because I'm convinced there's a problem with the match engine that favours playing MR and ML over AMR and AML - with the former you seem to give up nothing in attack but gain loads in defence. Looking forward to trying Dortmund again in the future.

I sold Lewandowski for 39M euros to Chelsea and I really had problems to find a replacement... i tried Lacina Traore, Kolbeinn Sigporsson.. they're good players, but Lewandowski is very, very superior. Just now that I have Arif Menderes, the problem is solved.

Mateolli , Sadikovic and Arif Menderes are from my academy, Grob and Gallus are from Bayern, Adrian Bruno is from a team of Uruguai and Celio from Brazil

Your team is fantastic for the second season, Heung Min is very good, but I think is the only position you can improve! Yelsin I really dont know, and Ademilson gets very good in the future, but I never had him

I regret of selling Gundogan (42M to Real Madrid), he's really fantastic.

I think the best place to look for regen is Brazil, because they have ridiculous low clauses... Argentina have very good regens also, but expensive... Germany is very good, specially Dortmund and Bayern

I just won my first title on FM13 in my second season as Dortmund. I bought Rodrigo from SLB after I sold Lewandowski to Arsenal for £20m. Rodrigo has been a revelation, scoring 25 in 40 games. I am delighted with the amount of good youngsters at the club who I have used instead of buying big named players as I usually do with Man united etc. Just been given 16m to spend in summer and am in need of a good keeper, I like keepers to be older so anyone 28+ would be ideal. Any of you seasoned pros have any suggestions? Weidenfeller coming to the end now and want to replace him before he completely loses it!

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has gone quiet!

I've just completed my third season, having won the league in all three years. Having won on the final day in season 2, this year was easy by comparison as I won by 10 points from Bayern. Javier Hernandez the star again.

Cup competitions were a very mixed bag. Knocked out of the German Cup by little Dresden on pens in round 3 and I have never got passed the 1/4 finals in that one, which is getting annoying. In the Champions League I was in with At. Madrid, Olympiakos and Red Bull Salzburg. Drew away in Madrid and won the next 2 home games comfortably before inexplicably drawing in Salzburg, losing 3-1 at home to Madrid and getting stuffed 4-2 in Greece, thus finishing 3rd. I then romped the Europa league by hammering 7 past Kobenhavn with no reply, edging Chelsea, comfortably winning the 1/4 final against a team I can't now remember, beating Besiktas 9-1 on aggregate in the semi and beating Arsenal on pens in the final despite going behind twice.

I've not made many changes in the summer, I had Lewandowski on loan back from Barca in season 2 but he's gone back, I've sold Schmeidebach in favour of an Argentinian regen to back up Bender as Anchor Man and bought in a Dane as 3rd choice striker behind Hernandez and Ademilson. Starting to blood my 17 year olds in the first team, I have a striker who is about the best regen I've ever managed in any game and I will post a screenshot later. In a PSF in Lyon he came on with the team losing 1-0 and scored twice to win it, then in the German cup he came off the bench and scored 2 more. Hernandez is injured for 3 months so the young strikers need to step up now. I managed to lose the super cup to Hannover 1-0 despite them only having 3 attempts at goal to my 23.

I was offered the Man Utd job after season 3 so I've created a new save where I've accepted that job as well, not sure which one to take forward first...

Hello, everyone!

Sorry of my own lack of activity in the past couple of weeks, I've had little time to play on FM - even when I have, it's been on my Arsenal save. Nevertheless, I'll be making my first genuine Borussia Dortmund save soon. As ever, I'll keep you lot informed with regular updates.

Good luck with your saves, too :thup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has developed Leitner to the point of playing him/getting good results out of him yet ? I bought him for Spurs (£15m ) at the end of season 1, but having tried to give him a bit of game time, I think he's going to have to go out on loan second half of season 2 and get some regular first team football under his belt. He's looking a bit weak and overawed on the pitch right now.

I also bought Draxler for 17m as well, with the same result. For the first time that I can remember in FM, it looks like I have foolishly eroded my experienced squad players away too soon, and *****ed too much of my money on youth.

Great thread, think I may have to start a Dortmund save since I want half their squad in my Spurs team !

Just started my "mandatory" save with Dortmund as its my second favourite team in the world, what i will be looking to do is keeping with the strategy the Klopp was developing there, which is betting in the youth talents that are in the youth tams of the club.

For the first season I only bought

Demba Ba for 7M

Wellington Nem for 3,5M

And I sold Blaszczykowski for 20M to QPR

I play a 4-3-3 with control metality and high pressing

Weinderfeller

Piszczek --- Subotic --- Hummels --- Schemelzer

Kehl

Gundongan ------------------- Wellington Nem

Reus -------------------------------------- Gotze

Lewandowski

Unfortunately my 3 wonderboys (Gotze, Reus and Wellington) they got injury for 7-8 weeks all of them so i had to cop the begging of the season without them which make my team very inconstant because i created my tactic around them.

One thing i actually think is annoying in this team is that there are very few players with more than 15 of determination to be tutors.

Archived