GK Kenny Ashdown

DR Jaager Peltier Byram

DC Pearce Lees Kissy Gimpel

DL White Drury Taylor

MR Diouf Green Norris

MC Boudjemaa Austin Green Norris Adryan

ML Buniva Pugh

ST Becchio McCormack Varney Aase Poleon

Awful run, we were doing ok at the back but couldn't score, so I changed formation and have 3 wins on the bounce and I'm up too 16th

Hmm, not blowing away teams this year; even with Quintero. I'm finding that I'm getting over run in midfield, even with enforcers like Austin and Torres, so I've spent some time on the tactics forum. 'Narrow diamond' like tactics seem to be popular again this year and in particular I'm seeing tactics featuring wing backs & 3 x DC's. So, as I'm comfortable with the players available/who I can sell/use of the unwanted list to free up wage budget; I'm starting again with a 'narrow' tactic.

Hmm, not blowing away teams this year; even with Quintero. I'm finding that I'm getting over run in midfield, even with enforcers like Austin and Torres, so I've spent some time on the tactics forum. 'Narrow diamond' like tactics seem to be popular again this year and in particular I'm seeing tactics featuring wing backs & 3 x DC's. So, as I'm comfortable with the players available/who I can sell/use of the unwanted list to free up wage budget; I'm starting again with a 'narrow' tactic.

All my formations use 3 CBs, my more solid one uses wing backs, more attacking I use the same players but in wide midfield

Signed Enyeama as a replacement to Kenny, this Dan Atkinson in my youth team is getting rave reviews so I'm going to use him as my long term GK, I'm all about the academy

I had a fans trust take over at the end of my 2nd season when i had just been promoted.

Tom Lees has improved heaps, think a national call up might not not be to far off

Guys im playnig 4-3-3

Varney as an IF from the left is not the best and almost got no replacement for him.

Got a loaned striker (Jerome) that is doing quite well. I am thinking to offload Diouf and Mccormak. Both not doing what is really expected at the moment.

Unfortunately, my payroll is already beyond limit and Im in November. Any good hunts in January?

Playing a very attacking football. Used that WOW guides in the tactical forum, and its doing pretty well. I need freebies in January or hopefully great loans by then. AML, AMR and a good backup DC.

Any thoughts about a good assistant coach too?

Too much questions I know :) But its my first ever time to play with Leeds. A team that deserves much more than its current RL ranking :(

cant wait to start my Leeds save tonight, hopefully will put up a good promotion run before start making plans to conquer Europe.

anybody tried getting Craig Gordon, i think hes not got a club irl, used to be highly rated on fm!

Update on my Leeds save.

Currently nearing towards the end of the January transfer window in the 1st season and so far so good, Leeds are lying in 1st position after 30 games but with very close competition from Cardiff and Blackpool both of whom I played and beat in the last two games. 5-3 against Cardiff and 3-0 against Blackpool. I'm sort of happy with the team that i have managed to put together as players I wasn't expecting to perform are doing really well for example Varney averaging 7+ over the season and there is many more like him. Anyway the team is as follows:

lufcteam.png

And I have sold the usual suspects but mainly relied on loans for any quality. Mark Antoine-Fortune for example has been a revelation scoring 24 goals so far. Just signed Simon Davies and Andreas Ibertsberger on frees during the January transfer window as everyone was after Davies so I took a punt which has worked off and only signed him on a 6 month contract due to age anyway so wouldn't have been too bad if he had been terrible. And Ibertsberger due to the recommendation of him within this thread, he started off asking for big bucks wage wise so I quickly lowered that down and set to non-negotiable which he snapped up. Here's the transfers:

transfersm.png

Throughout the season I have been rotating between 3 tactics (442, 41221 and 4123) and this seems to be keeping things fresh allowing me to rest/rotate certain players and keep the teams guessing as to how to setup against Leeds. The press have even started to say that I'm a "Tinkering Mastermind" and good at surprising the opponent. Each of my formations that I use are converted back to classic as I dont like the whole set as a ball winning midfielder and support/attack/defend thing, I think its much easier to change a formation and set it up how you want using the good old classic method seems to work better for me also.

Just to show how close the League is here's the proof:

top9.png

Hope to report back when the season is finished, hopefully having claimed one of the 2 automatic promotion spots but anything could happen.

First ever time playing FM, life long Leeds fan. 200k budget, got rid of Connolly. Brought Bradley Wright-Phillips & David Meyler in on loan so far. Any suggestions as to what formations seem to be working the best so far?

First ever time playing FM, life long Leeds fan. 200k budget, got rid of Connolly. Brought Bradley Wright-Phillips & David Meyler in on loan so far. Any suggestions as to what formations seem to be working the best so far?

I played a 3-2-3-1-1 with White and Byram at wing back, mainly due to our lack of wingers

oooo your hard to please :herman:

how about Cristian Danalache

nOqwX.png?1

Disappointed to report that after agreeing the transfer (£350K negotiated) and his contract requirements this went to w/p. He didn't get it. Not sure if this is a database error?

I've just started using Mr Hough's FM13 tactic which is working well.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/327286-Mr-Hough-FM13-First-Patch-Tactics.

If you don't want to use an imported tactic and want to make your own, you may still want to consider the use of wing backs and 3 x DC's?

I am playing 433 with 2 IFs and 1 Striker.

Diouf is a big mess I would say? And Varney as a Left IF is not the best too.. Any suggestions?

Im in January first season.. and got around $800k budget left for transfers.. any suggestions???

I am playing 433 with 2 IFs and 1 Striker.

Diouf is a big mess I would say? And Varney as a Left IF is not the best too.. Any suggestions?

Im in January first season.. and got around $800k budget left for transfers.. any suggestions???

Aye, don't play wingers, Varney is terrible and Diouf isn't great, find a playmaker amc and play wingbacks

Right got a big 27mil to spend third season, invested it in British youth as I always do, starting 11 now is:

Enyeama

Byram - Mancienne - A Williams - White

Austin

Jon Williams - Livermore

Freeman ----------------------Ince

Paloschi

or

Enyeama

Lees - Mancienne - Williams

Byram ---------------------- White

Williams - Livermore - Austin

Ward-Prowse

Paloschi

Trying to get Redmond to add depth to my wingers

Aye, don't play wingers, Varney is terrible and Diouf isn't great, find a playmaker amc and play wingbacks

Ok, I will just offload them and try to buy new ones :)

Im trying to use them as IFs not exact wingers... and use my wingbacks on Attack roles.

sometimes the formation just gets you like straight wins then 5 straight losses... a big shame in the game :(

Ok, I will just offload them and try to buy new ones :)

Im trying to use them as IFs not exact wingers... and use my wingbacks on Attack roles.

sometimes the formation just gets you like straight wins then 5 straight losses... a big shame in the game :(

Aye, just try and add some pace/flair because we lack any creativity and pace, yeah I went on some horrible losing streaks, my main problem was just drawing though

After I realised how the unwanted list could be used at game start and how much I was struggling with the tactics I was using, I started my Leeds save one more time. I sold as before: White, Poleon, Rachubka (all for just under double their value), Connolly, Brown & Pugh (offer him out at £550k over 48 when you've rejected Charlton's bid for Brown). This time I sold Becchio to Genoa for £2.8M (most over 48) using the unwanted list. I also used the unwanted list to mutually terminate the contracts of Bromby (injured), Gray, Ashdown, Drury, Nunez (none of them good enough) and Diouf (short term contract and didn't fit with the new tactic). The Becchio fee in particular significantly changed the game for me.

With the good £ raised, with some alterations to the wage budget and with an eye on players to fit Mr Hough's new FM13 tactic I signed:

Jan Lastuvka, GK £475K Dnipro (missed out on Seb Viera).

Marcos DR Pronte Preta £70K.

Vanden Borre DR free.

Filipe Machado DL £35K Guaratingueta.

Wescley DC Pronte Preta £85k.

Stefano Denswill DC Loan.

Israel Damonte MC £275K Nacional.

Juan Manuel Torres MC £1.5M (most over 48) Metalist.

Adryan AMC £875K (over 48) Flamengo.

Wellington Nem AMC £3.5M (over 48) Fluminese.

Joel Pohjanpalo ST £85K HJK.

Fernando Aristeguieta ST Caracas loan at £1k fee/month & 100 % wages.

Ademilson ST £5.25M (over 48) Sao Paulo.

Signing on 1.1.13:

Free Transfers

Madson AMC Santos.

Julio Cesar versatile left footer Fluminese.

Fernando Henrique GK Ceara.

Ignacio Canuto DC Figueirense.

Doria DC £525k (over 48) Botafoga.

Overview of players:

My usual South American dual nationals are few and far between this year, the values of the likes of Cahais & Sanchez etc have significantly increased in this database. So bargains are much harder to find - but Marcos, Filipe Machado & Wescley are Championship quality squad players and their low transfer fees make them attractive signings. Vanden Borre, Torres, Damonte & Lastuvka are good players at this level. Pohjanpalo, Aristeguieta & Stefano Denswill have good potential. The three Brazilians Adryan, Nem & Ademilson have minimum fees that can be bought over 48 months and are top class players. I found through trial and error that they are best targetted in August when initial interest passes. Bid early and they may go elsewhere for a lot less money. Nem wants a very good contract but his fee compared to his value (£3.5M & £9.5M) makes him a relative 'steal'. Doria also has a minimum release fee at £525k and has a thread in the forum. The four South Americans joining on free transfers 1.1.13 are quality players and are highly recommended.

I signed the Ass Man, coaches, scouts & physios that I've mentioned in the thread before and released all existing backroom staff.

Tbh it was hard work to pull this squad together and the timing of signings fitted with adjusting budgets every few weeks in order to manage it. Also, I'm unsure how I feel about the use of the unwanted list as it did make it so much easier to move on players. For example I doubt that Becchio can be sold without it and mutual termination is not accepted by players unless you use it.

EDIT Just seen Nem dribble from well inside his half into their penalty box. He then passes to Ademilson who puts it away. Nem is unbelievable at this level.

Agree with this, although even though Diouf isn't natural or accomplished at AMC, he's actually performing pretty well in that role for me.

I've just started using Mr Hough's FM13 tactic which is working well.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/327286-Mr-Hough-FM13-First-Patch-Tactics.

If you don't want to use an imported tactic and want to make your own, you may still want to consider the use of wing backs and 3 x DC's?

Just been promoted into the Premier League so gonna try this tactic during pre-season may become main tactic. During the championship iv been using a 442 that i created and Mr houghs russian tactic from FM12 also at times rotated to a tactic from FM12 called "And the Viper strikes with an RKO" these 3 formations led me to win the league with 6 points clear from Watford in 2nd so highly recommend trying those if you havent before.

Just been promoted into the Premier League so gonna try this tactic during pre-season may become main tactic. During the championship iv been using a 442 that i created and Mr houghs russian tactic from FM12 also at times rotated to a tactic from FM12 called "And the Viper strikes with an RKO" these 3 formations led me to win the league with 6 points clear from Watford in 2nd so highly recommend trying those if you havent before.

It's a good tactic, you control possession and do not concede many. I'm currently finding goals a little harder to find but assume this is down to the all the changes I made to the squad. The bigger issue for me seems to be maintaining morale with my team talks.

I'm struggling to find the will to play this game, think fm2013 is awful :(

Does anyone else hate what they've done to the match day screen (especially the overview page) just full of clutter. Used to play FM because it was sleek and proffesional looking, now its like something you would get on a playstation..

How can someone start a save and use some one elses tactics through out. How is that rewarding in any way?

Alright lads hows it going!

Must say I'm struggling with FM13 as well, I've continued with the same beta save that I first started with as I figured I'd stick with it rather that restarting, but having now played through 4 seasons and watched lots of games I've come to the conclusion that there are serious issues with the FM13 match engine so am taking a break for a week or so, really don't want to start my next season until SI start doing something about the ME...

I'm still using my own fairly standard 4-4-2 tactic (which is probably a big part of my problem but I'm sticking with in on principle now :D), have finally got promoted to the Premier League after winning the Championship in my 4th season (made the play offs in 2nd and 3rd season.)

The only real life players I still have are:

Aidan White

Rodolph Austin

Tom Lees

Torstein Andersen Aase

Ryan Guald (ML)

Florent Cuvelier (MC)

Josip Basic (DR/MR)

Grzeogorz Kowalewski (MR)

All of the non-Leeds players can probably be bought very cheap/free in the first couple of seasons.

Good luck fellas, hope you're enjoying FM13 more than I am at least! :p

How can someone start a save and use some one elses tactics through out. How is that rewarding in any way?

Well as I said I've used a 442 that I created (which has been my main tactic) and as you can have the team learn up to 3 tactics at a time I added those two as well and have used them from time to time against weaker opponents in the case of the viper tactic and in the cup for the Mr Hough Tactic. Ill be the first to admit I'm not a tactical genius not everybody can be so if there is a starting block to adapt to your team then some may need to use it, people wouldn't create and upload them if there wasn't demand.

For me the enjoyable part of the game is buying/signing personnel ie. staff (to make sure you have the best scouts/coaching possible) aswell as players and hunting for those 15/16 year old regens who are going to become superstars, then setting up a training regime to try and make them become their full potential. I find it very rewarding when the 15 year old CB you signed works his way into your first team and you see him develop into a little gem that cost you all of 0k-500k. The fact that he might be playing in a formation that somebody else has created and I have tweaked slightly is something that doesn't bother me.

But hey ho, everyone's different but for me that's how I enjoy the game. For others they may think its wrong, who cares.

If your comment is directed at me, I enjoy finding and buying players and the challenge of improving the team. I struggle with tactics.

Hmm decided to give my first season in the Premier League a go anyway and I'm doing much better than I expected, sat comfortably in mid table after 10 games. Long way to go yet though!

But given that 17 of my 25 man squad are aged 21 or under (regens ftw) then maybe I do have the potential for a decent squad. :D

Hmm decided to give my first season in the Premier League a go anyway and I'm doing much better than I expected, sat comfortably in mid table after 10 games. Long way to go yet though!

But given that 17 of my 25 man squad are aged 21 or under (regens ftw) then maybe I do have the potential for a decent squad. :D

How did you spot Regens without Genie Scout being out yet?

If your comment is directed at me, I enjoy finding and buying players and the challenge of improving the team. I struggle with tactics.

My comment was aimed at everyone who doesn't use their own tactic. To be honest though I think you have a very good understanding on the game and come across good at football manager, I just can't see why anyone would un-do all that by using someone elses tactic. Anyway each to there own I suppose, just play the game to enjoy it :)

Well think I might force myself into starting a proper leeds save as I have the day off work. Used to just play each game with the 'match overwiew screen' with text commentry on the bottom. Might just have to watch each game instead now as I hate what they've done to it.

Aye I just rely on in game scouts and go for highly rated players that already have good attributes for the role I'd use them in. And accept that probably 75% won't make it but over several seasons not to hard to end up with half a dozen that end up being wonder kids

My comment was aimed at everyone who doesn't use their own tactic. To be honest though I think you have a very good understanding on the game and come across good at football manager, I just can't see why anyone would un-do all that by using someone elses tactic. Anyway each to there own I suppose, just play the game to enjoy it :)

Well think I might force myself into starting a proper leeds save as I have the day off work. Used to just play each game with the 'match overwiew screen' with text commentry on the bottom. Might just have to watch each game instead now as I hate what they've done to it.

Each to their own indeed. For me the issue is one of maximum enjoyment with the time I have, I could spend time creating a tactic, but like Nicko, I enjoy the player purchasing, development & staff elements of the game, this is where I prefer to spend my time.

I have not ever really been a fan of the "exploits", last year was 3 central strikers overloading the ME, but there are a number of solid, non exploit tactics made by people that actually produce really nice football and also help people (me included) to continue to learn how the ME plays. Over time I think people tweak to suit themselves anyway, so they end up being different.

Me too and thanks for the kind words :)

I'm still finding this FM very challenging even with an imported tactic: absolutely bossing games, creating loads of chances with their keeper making 'worldy' saves. I'm drawing games that you should be winning and the result is squad morale is flat. Additionally (and despite arranging every high profile friendly I can) I'm losing about £500k every month through September 2012 onwards. I know I can chip away at this with cup runs and getting the wage budget down, which raises a question from me; has anybody from Nov/Dec 2012 successfully sold McCormack, Norris, Peltier/Pearce (decent but there is better)/Varney? I know that I can get about £1M for McCormack through using the unwanted list, but what about the others? Tbh I'm seriously considering paying Norris & Varney off. Varney is moaning about lack of games from October and they are picking up £60K & bonuses each month to warm the bench.

EDIT You can move on Norris & Varney from the middle of November but both demand money to move. Realistic I suppose given the contracts that they are on. I can't bring myself to do this atm.

Well just started my first leeds save and must admit it's very frustrating not being able to sell mccormack for £3m+ and I'm stuck with the likes of varney, norris and somma never seems too great on FM.

But still managed to bring a few players in with the vast majority of the payments in excess of 30 moinths.

LB Sanchez Mino - Loan/Future fee £2.5m

CM Jonas Svensson 800k

CM C.Aranguiz 4.2m

AM Adryan 1.5m

COMING IN IN JANUARY ON FREES

CM/AM the awesome Bressan renan

CD I.Canuto

CF Willian Jose .

Not the team of the calibure I had on FM 2011 or 2012 but still one which should win promotion in my first season.

Lots of other good young players I've found but can't bring in due to the wage budget, might be able to get some in in january with a bit of luck. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=107406402&insideModal=1 http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=107406355&insideModal=1 http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=107406375&insideModal=1 http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=107406428&insideModal=1 http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=107406417&insideModal=1 http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=107406387&insideModal=1

Well just started my first leeds save and must admit it's very frustrating not being able to sell mccormack for £3m+ and I'm stuck with the likes of varney, norris and somma never seems too great on FM.

But still managed to bring a few players in with the vast majority of the payments in excess of 30 moinths.

LB Sanchez Mino - Loan/Future fee £2.5m

CM Jonas Svensson 800k

CM C.Aranguiz 4.2m

AM Adryan 1.5m

COMING IN IN JANUARY ON FREES

CM/AM the awesome Bressan renan

CD I.Canuto

CF Willian Jose .

Not the team of the calibure I had on FM 2011 or 2012 but still one which should win promotion in my first season.

Lots of other good young players I've found but can't bring in due to the wage budget, might be able to get some in in january with a bit of luck. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=107406402&insideModal=1

Well done on Bressan - I've never been able to land him. Out of interest, what did you offer him?

Just to add, really good find on Jose; looks quality.

At the end of October 2012 now, just lost 4-3 AET to Chelsea in the League Cup. I'd hoped that they might play a reserve team, but it wasn't to be and Mata, Oscar, Moses and company sent them through. Really disappointed - even the League Cup is harder this year :(

Despite a full house against Chelsea, we lost £700k in October. I do need to clear out some of the high earners.

Well done on Bressan - I've never been able to land him. Out of interest, what did you offer him?

Just to add, really good find on Jose; looks quality.

Thanks, offered bressan 17,750/week plus lots of other extras.

Thanks, offered bressan 17,750/week plus lots of other extras.

Meant to add, if you use the unwanted list you can probably shift McCormack at game start; but you may only get about £1M for him.

Guys... I am in February.. still with exactly the starting team.. Shamefully, didnt do any transfers any of the windows, except for a couple of loans...

All my players are 3.5 stars Max in their positions.. thats why im position 16

Is this position normal provided this?

The board are satisfied, and I think I can end the season at position 13 or so...

so the folks that ended up higher, definitely had players with 4 stars in a couple of positions right?

My tactic has been enhanced lately.... I just need a better Assistant Manager.

Any suggestions? Please all comment, im open for any advice :D

Guys... I am in February.. still with exactly the starting team.. Shamefully, didnt do any transfers any of the windows, except for a couple of loans...

All my players are 3.5 stars Max in their positions.. thats why im position 16

Is this position normal provided this?

The board are satisfied, and I think I can end the season at position 13 or so...

so the folks that ended up higher, definitely had players with 4 stars in a couple of positions right?

My tactic has been enhanced lately.... I just need a better Assistant Manager.

Any suggestions? Please all comment, im open for any advice :D

I think 13th - 16th is about right using the existing squad and given the difficulty this year. As you suggest, you need to push up squad quality if you want to achieve a higher league position. To do so, there are a lot of suggestions on players in the thread should you re-start.

In terms of an Ass Man, I'm using Ayres Morais de Albuquerque. I suspect his attributes are slightly random, but he is a really steady Assistant. You may need Brazilian players or a large database loaded to find him.

If you keep Varney until the Premier League you can sell him for 2Mill easy I offered him out and had 5 clubs offer me it all upfront. Also sold Becchio for 3.5m back to Simon Grayson at Huddersfield. So i'd recommend keeping hold of those two for a while!

~Edit.

Just had this on my save:

takeoverv.png

Hope it goes through. Fingers crossed.

Coming up to December and currently 7th in the Prem and into 1/4s of Capital One Cup, board have given me 9mil to spend in Jan, not sure where to invest

takeovercomplete.png

Takeover complete! Only another 6.5million made available for transfers but might spend that in January and request more see what happens :D

Do any of you that are past the second season have any cheap suggested signings? Promoted in first season but went a bit overboard on 48 month deals so now I've only been given £2.5mill to spend. Need 2 DCs, LWB, CM (2 if possible) and an SC. Trying to sell players to raise money but I only get 10% to spend so I'm not going to have much more to spend!