FM13: Celtic - 125 Years Of Unbroken History

McGeady10

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been chasing Ganso for a year, got him unsettled enough that he refused attempts by his club to sign a new deal. It gets within six months of his contract expiring and I make my move.

I ploughed all my available transfer funds (£10 milllion) into wage budget and approach to sign. His agent says 'my client isn't that interested in joining your club so you better make an amazing offer (fair enough, I'm trying to get Ganso to play in the SPL after all).

he's on 25k a week with Sao Paulo so I offer him the world, >100k a week, key player status, max goal and toty bonuses, a 10% yearly wage rise, wage increases after x amount of club and international games, the whole works basically. Straight away his agent says 'yep that'll do us, well finalise with your admin staff' blah blah.......Then I get this news item

DavidOwens_NewsInbox-3.png

He signed a deal on 55k a week to stay in Brazil over signing for a team with massive financial muscle who are straight into the CL group stages this season and have been to the Quarter final stages in a European comp in the last few years, my clubs rep is now ahead of the likes of Inter and the game still pulls this rubbish? I'm beyond furious right now.

I've been chasing Ganso for a year, got him unsettled enough that he refused attempts by his club to sign a new deal. It gets within six months of his contract expiring and I make my move.

I ploughed all my available transfer funds (£10 milllion) into wage budget and approach to sign. His agent says 'my client isn't that interested in joining your club so you better make an amazing offer (fair enough, I'm trying to get Ganso to play in the SPL after all).

he's on 25k a week with Sao Paulo so I offer him the world, >100k a week, key player status, max goal and toty bonuses, a 10% yearly wage rise, wage increases after x amount of club and international games, the whole works basically. Straight away his agent says 'yep that'll do us, well finalise with your admin staff' blah blah.......Then I get this news item

DavidOwens_NewsInbox-3.png

He signed a deal on 55k a week to stay in Brazil over signing for a team with massive financial muscle who are straight into the CL group stages this season and have been to the Quarter final stages in a European comp in the last few years, my clubs rep is now ahead of the likes of Inter and the game still pulls this rubbish? I'm beyond furious right now.

I feel your pain mate, but I also giggled alot lol!

I feel your pain mate, but I also giggled alot lol!

I must admit I do find myself thinking back on times like this on FM and have to laugh at myself for the state of apoplectic rage this game is capable of inducing in me at times....you should see me when I lose a game 1-0 to a 93rd minute goal.:D

Edit.... I should also add I like the way the way the FM gods of fate have a way of balancing things out in the game. Meet my new first choice keeper brought in after the departures of Rensing and Viviano.

AgustnOteiza_OverviewAttributes.png

Going to be tough trying to keep a hold of Smithies as a backup now though, might have to cash in on him but will see how it goes during the coming season.

I must admit I do find myself thinking back on times like this on FM and have to laugh at myself for the state of apoplectic rage this game is capable of inducing in me at times....you should see me when I lose a game 1-0 to a 93rd minute goal.:D
Edit.... I should also add I like the way the way the FM gods of fate have a way of balancing things out in the game. Meet my new first choice keeper brought in after the departures of Rensing and Viviano.

Haha, unbelievable... just lost him for 4 months minimum to knee tendonitis. I swear this game, if you weren't able to laugh at it sometimes, you'd cry.:lol:

Why would you possibly close this thread over a smilie?

It's a Celtic thread surely us as virtual Celtic managers can take some pleasure in our FM victories?

He`s just maintaining a balance, because of the middle smiley! Im pretty sure he found it more amusing than anything! :thup:

In fact now I think on it, it was probably sarcastic lol

Haha, unbelievable... just lost him for 4 months minimum to knee tendonitis. I swear this game, if you weren't able to laugh at it sometimes, you'd cry.:lol:

Real Madrid scored in at me on 92 mins to equalise the tie, I swear to god I have never seen my kitten run away from me so fast lol!

Controversial left back..

Very good spot that. I don't have any natural full backs good enough for my first team and have been using a converted cb at rb but needed someone with decent attributes as an attacking lb to fit in with my tactics and Ward-prowse fitted the bill in terms of attributes. I'm retraining him to left back and although atm he has a red dot positionally he hasn't put a foot wrong since I started using him there.

Alright chaps, finally started my Celtic save.

So far punted Samaras, Zaluska, Wilson and sent Miku back to Getafe.

Brought in Russell, Craig Gordon, Carles Planas from Barca at left back (21) and okores at centre half (19). Also got Lomban at centre half on a loan from Barca with cheap option to buy and a Hungarian DMC called Vass who's 23 and awesome.

Shall be mostly playing 4-3-3 until I can get a top playmaker in then I'll try and switch to 4-1-3-2, think Argentina until Jose Pekerman at the World Cup a few years back now.

Come to think of it I might try and get him in as my director of football ;-)

So far I've only playing my first away CL qualifier. Won 2-0 against some mob with a difficult name.

Guys, has anyone got any tips for tactics to use with the hoops ?

Im top after 18 games but its been a very inconsistent season, played 18 won 13 and drawn the rest but cant think of the last time i played a game and thought i thoroughly deserved to win that, every game very close. Just to see what you guys play ?

Cheers

Guys, has anyone got any tips for tactics to use with the hoops ?

Im top after 18 games but its been a very inconsistent season, played 18 won 13 and drawn the rest but cant think of the last time i played a game and thought i thoroughly deserved to win that, every game very close. Just to see what you guys play ?

Cheers

I play a flat 4-4-2 very fluid with everything except creative freedom and roaming on default. CF is set to more expressive and roaming is set to more.

I use shouts I have set up pre match and only change them depending on performance and scoreline. My default shouts are drop deeper, play narrower, hassle opponents, get stuck in, pass into space, get ball forward, hit early crosses and exploit the middle.

My strategy is set to defensive for all but the games I'm very clear favourites for.

Roles and duties are as follows (keep in mind you'll need to have the players with the right attributes if your going to follow these to the letter)

Gk Gk-defend

Lb Fullback-attack

Rb Fullback-defend

Lcb Limited defender-stopper

Rcb Ballplaying defender cover

Rm Winger-attack

lm Winger-support

Lcm advanced playmaker attack

Rcm Ball winning midfielder-defend

Left striker (right footed) Target Man support if playing Immobile or Trequartista if playing Walclott

Right striker If playing Balotelli, it depends who is his strike partner, if it's Immobile he's used as a poacher, if it's Walcott he's a used as deep lying forward attack.

If my fourth choice striker Victor Fischer plays he's a poacher so I try and never use him and Balotelli together as I feel 2 poachers don't offer enough mobility up front.

This tends to work well against most of my league opponents as I now have such a strong team they all try to shut up shop against me, keeping things defensively compact and deep lures them into being more attacking and my tactic is to get the ball in dangerous areas very quickly before they have a chance to get organised, so despite me using the defensive strategy it works more like counter attack, without the risk you get with the actual counter attack strategy where so many of your players commit to attack when you have the ball you're left exposed at the back.

Have played 12 league games this way so far this season and only lost one when I forgot to check my shouts and I played the entire first half with the wrong ones.

I`m playing a 4-1-2-2-1 with aml/r

35 games played - 21 wins, 8 draws and 6 losses, I think 2 of the losses were clear deserved losses.

I shall take note of where i end the season at, and how many losses i have had, and perhaps work on my tactic from there.

Never had much of a stance on Scottish football being a Reading fan, however I guess I've always leaned slightly towards Celtic, and it should be a bit of fun managing them.

Looking to play a formation with five at the back. A mate of mine has had ridiculous success already with Bolton using a 5-3-2, so I think I might follow suit, and fiddle around with it.

So far I've brought in Grosso on a free as left-back cover, Fernando Meira as a temporary stop-gap at CB just for this season, and Wellington Nem who should tear up the SPL. (£1m, with another £2.5m over 24 months - he has a £3.5m release clause despite his £9.5m rating.)

Not sold anyone yet, but trying to ship out Commons (and potentially Forrest) as they just don't fit into my tactical system. Loaned out Tony Watt, and a couple of others I can't recall.

Will keep you updated! There are some really decent youth prospects that I'm looking forward to nurturing.

Im just into Feb of my first season and so far coasting it in the league after a patchy start with many draws but only lost once so far. I qualified for the champs league but got a group of AC Milan, Valencia and PSG so ended up 4th with 5 points.

I am mainly playing a 4-4-1-1, using Miku/Commons/Formica behing Hooper. However I have a decent 4-4-2 which I use in SPL home games.

I had a bit of an injury crisis in August where Waynama and Ledley both were out fro 4 months so I had to bring in loan cover. Hopper has been scoring regulary.

Transfers In

Fernando Meira - decent stop gap free transfer, was a regular at the start of the season but on the bench now

Jeremy Berthod - free transfer back up LB

Glenn Whelan - loan, actually been very good

Formica - loan, been ok nothing special wont be making transfer permanent

Gary Mackay-Stevens - 2.1M, brought him in on Jan as he was on list and West Brom put a bit in, been decent so far

Transfers Out

Kelvin Wilson - 500K

Stokes - 1.2M

Bangura - Free

Ambrose - 200K

Just wondering, this is directed at those a fair few seasons in - do Rangers return to the SPL with anywhere near as much clout as they used to have? Where are they finishing for you guys?

Season one back in SPL 7th

Season 2 4th

Currently over halfway through their third season in the SPL and they're 9th on 29 points with only 8 wins from 25 matches 10 points clear of relegation but 36 behind me in 1st place.

Season 2 4th

Currently over halfway through their third season in the SPL and they're 9th on 29 points with only 8 wins from 25 matches 10 points clear of relegation but 36 behind me in 1st place.

Interesting, I wonder if they'll ever be genuinely challenging Celtic again...

Can't get over how much of an utter liability Efe Ambrose has been for me! Complaining about competition for a starting place, I tell him to prove why he should be first choice, he says he shouldn't have to prove it - and then goes and scores an own goal in each of his next two games, both of which were totally his fault. Ratings of 5.6 and 5.4, even though we won and drew those games! Looks like he'll be on his way out...

So, the wife gave me the game as a present, so I'm on it now (what do wish for Xmas then???)

Just through the transfer window in the first season

Made a few transfers in the summer window

Glenn Whelan - on loan - from Stoke

Erik Janza - from Mura 05

Pontus Jansson - from Malmö

Jores Okore - from FC Nordsjælland

Stefan Strandberg - from Rosenborg

Jesper Juelsgaard - from FC Midtjylland

Johnny Russell - From Dun Utd

Out went; Izzy-Commons-Stokes-Rogne

Best starting lineup:

Forster

Matthews

Juelsgaard

Wanyama

Strandberg

Forrest

Kayal

Ledley

Russell

Hooper

Miku

Leading the league with 13 points down to 2nd place Aberdeen

My reserves went out of the quarter finals of the league cup against Kilmarnock

Still in the cup

Beat Buducnost and Slask to reach the group states in the CL

Came up against Man Utd, Lille (LOSC) and Olympiakos

Won 2-0 (H) against LOSC, Lost 1-0 (A) to Man Utd, Won 3-1 (A) to Olympiakos, Won 6-0 (H) against Olympiakos, Lost 3-2 (A) to LOSC and won 3-0 (H) against Man Utd

So now I have to do one goal better than Lenny and beat Barca over 2 matches in the next round. But with Gary Hooper the CL topscorer so far and with Forster having had 6 clean sheets, there is hope (not much - but it's there)

To try and do that I brought in a few more new faces and sold a few

Lassad, Samaras and Kelvin Wilson left - with Lustig on his way as well (Swedish club are trying to make a deal with him and their transfer window isn't closed yet)

Ryan Gauld - from Dun Utd

Ezequiel Cirigliano - from River Plate

&

Ademilson - from Sao Paulo

and then on transfer deadline day, I saw that Man Utd had transfer listed Darren Fletcher (Cup tied for the CL though). A £8m offer were sent to Bluenose and accepted - negotiations broke down, a new £8m offer were sent and accepted with same result, then another, and another, before succeeding with 3 hours left on the clock

So the team that will take Celtic forward will be

Forster

Matthews

Juelsgaard

Wanyama

Strandberg

Forrest

Fletcher

Ledley

Russell

Hooper

Ademilson

About the young players

Fletcher is tutoring McGeough to raise his mental stats, training is trying to do the same with his pace, and positioning training is trying to get comfortable with the MR position, so he can be a backup for Forrest - George and Johnstone have played a few games there with Forrest and McGeough out at the same time

Watt seem to be coming along nicely, 10 goals in 24 matches so far, most of them as a sub - he will still be my 3rd choice striker as I want him to see as much playing time as possible (sorry Miku, you have been great so far, but as it is, there is no money to extent the loan - and with Hooper and Ademilson at the club, it is hard to see you as one our my two main strikers)

To be honest, not many of the young players seem to be able to make it as a first team player at Celtic (in the game) - Watt seem to be the one that have the most chances to stick around - McGeough will need one hell of a tutoring from Fletcher, but if one player can do it, it will be Fletcher, so fingers crossed that McGeough turn out half decent

2016/2017 - Six in a Row

I wasn't overly excited about this season as I had it marked down as a year of transistion due to the fact that I was going to be losing some of my ore experienced players due to contracts running down.

First I'll talk about the players who departed the club.

James Morrison left for West Ham after only one season in Celtic colours. He was only taken on a two year deal and I only ever really saw him as a stop gap playmaker. He did very well for me and left with my blessing.

The same went for Beram Kayal. I thought he'd get a move to a bigger club but again he left with the blessings of everyone at Celtic Park.

I was less happy to see Scott Sutter and Connon Wickham leave. Wickham spat the dummy out on transfer window day and to ensure harmony remained at the club I let him go back to Ipswich on loan.

The Sutter deal came out the blue but a couple of million for a fullback approaching his 30th birthday was just too good to turn down.

The biggest loss fo the summer though was Giorgos Samaras. A guy who'd done amazing for me. Was gutted to let him go but had to free up space in the squad to allow Johnny Russell to make the left wing position his own.

Mario Suarez was brought in from Atletico Madrid to plug the gap of experience and also bring quality fo the squad. Linus Hallenius was a Swedish striker signed from Genoa. Again I don't see this guy as the long term answer but think he can do me a turn for a season.

Scott Sinclair was signed to provide depth to the squad in attacking areas. I had him on loan a couple of seasons ago and it was good to welcome him back whilst Mirsad Hidic was one for the future.

We also broke the club transfer record to sign young Bosnian playmaker Enver Softic from Red Bull Salzburg at £7m.

I believe this guy is European class and will go onto prove himself to be one of the best players on the continent.

We also failed to talk Gary Hooper into extending his contract and after failing to punt him on deadline day I banished him to the reserves for a season.

2wnzqsj.jpg

Here's how the league finished...

I ws very happy with how we done in the league as there was a lot of new players in the team and I was expecting a little more inconsitancy. It is also very heartwarming to see the top five teams in the SPL going into European competition. This is mainly due to the good work we have done over the years and I think next season we go straight in the Champions League group stages.

Again we scored over 100 goals and although our defence wasn't great I'm not overly concerned as I think I now realise it's just the way I like my team playing that's going to mean we lose goals.

29fqc7b.jpg

The domestic cup competitions were a huge source of embarssment to myself after we lost in the final of both to Hearts and then newco Rangers.

I'm going to put it down to having a lot of young players integrated into the team this season and playing in their first cup finals. Totally unacceptable though and something I'm hoping to improve on next season.

European football for the year though proved to be very memorable.

After seeing off Maribor and HJK in qualifying we went into a tough group with At Madrid, Milan and BATE.

Some stunning performances, including taking six points from the head to head with Milan, saw us comfortably qualify for the last 16 where we faced VFB Stuttgart.

After a 3-1 win at home a tense 1-0 reversal in Germany saw us ito the quarter finals to play Chelsea.

In front of a packed Celtic Park we recorded a 1-1 draw before going down to London.

Despite going 1-0 down a Ramires goal in 13 minutes a late Joe Ledley strike proved to be decisive in a 3-2 away victory that sent us in the Champions League semi finals.

Despite being over powered and out classed by Real Madrid in the semi's I feel the team has the potential to at least compete at that kind of level.

mtqjc3.jpg

Player stats for the season?

30trin8.jpg

As you can see the sart turn of the season was Enver Softic who had an amazing debut season hitting 27 goals from midfield. James Forrest again was amazing for me yet again and Johnny Russell really began to fulfill his potential.

Sadly I'm going to have to say goodbye to William Barbio. This guy has a lot of potential but I had to phase him out the team this season as he was not going to be permitted a work permit for his new contract. He showed in his fleeting appearances that he was a top player.

In terms of young players?

Stuart Easton was forced into the limelight after Scott Sutter left the club and had a top season for a 19 year old kid. Melker Hallberg began to show some of the potential we saw in him when we signed him four years ago. He's now 21 years old.

Vjeran stipanovic is becoming hot property and we will do well to keep a hold of the 21 year old Croatian left back.

Tony Watt also kept up an impressive goals to game ratio, however, Dylan McGeoughs progress has appeared to totally stall.

Season 2 4th

What season did you get yor takeover mate?

Just finished my 2012/13 season - won the SPL and League Cup, slumped to a defeat against Dundee Utd in the Scottish Cup quarters, and knocked out by Chelsea (on away goals) in the Champions League quarters. Only lost two league games all season, both of which were after the split when our form seemed to decline quite a bit.

My biggest piece of advice to you guys is to use AMCs, their position is so effective this year. Rainford Kalaba is available for little over £2m and scored 6 in 7 European games for me, winning the SPL player of the season too.

Miku won't sign a new deal so I'm looking into some options to replace him. Ademilson won't join either - stumped. Got about £20m to spend, not sure why but the board keep throwing money at me, our balance has improved massively this season.

Finished my first season with Celtic, without spending any money (just got Grella and Boenisch for squad depth) I won the league (27-10-1) and the league cup. Lost in the first knockout round of the CL against Chelsea (4-1 and 0-4) and in the Scottish cup semi's against Motherwell.

16hu6qg.png

707srm.png

REVENGE FOR 2003

(and this time it was the cup with the big ears, not the "small" one"

2mwxvkx.jpg

Don't ever think that I have managed to win the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE in the first season in my first game of the season (haven't played any other careers on FM13)

Started out in a 4-4-2 but after drawing to Barca at home (first leg of the first knock out stage after Xmas) and loosing to Motherwell with my first team 11, I decided to try out a new tactic - I came up with a 3-6-1/3-5-1-1 call it what you like - result: my reserves beat Motherwell in the next game 2-0 - and the first team beat Barca 2-0 at the Camp Nou

Beside beating Barca:

Arsenal (1-0 HOME - 1-2 AWAY)

Juventus (1-0 HOME - 4-2 AWAY)

And then Porto in the final 3-1

Team that won the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE:

Forster

Matthews

Juelsgaard (sub with Janza midway through the second half)

Strandberg

Wanyama

Mulgrew

Kayal

Cirigliano (1-0)

Ledley

McGeough

Watt (2-0 and 3-1)

---

Forrest were out injured, but would have played AMC instead of McGeough - And Fletcher were cuptied (and injured)

Watt have taken over as my nr 1 striker - Hooper were out injured for a couple of weeks - and Watt beat Ademilton to be man to take over, and hasn't looked back since - either Hooper or Ademilton will most likely leave in the summer as it is a bit to much with both of the as backup to a single striker role

I have Luke Shaw (Southampton) coming in on a bosman to be back up to Juelsgaard - and Islam Feruz have decided that London wasn't for him, and is returning as well (don't like the way that he left, but a club home grown with his potential, you just can't refuse) - two Scottish newgens are also joining in the summer (both 4 star potential)

Just had my first job offer after 6 years at Celtic and in previous versions I would usually jump ship at the first chance of managing in the Premiership but didn't even give this offer a second thought before rejected. I'm in it for the long haul with Celtic in this save, at the very least I'll be sticking around to do the ten in a row.

DavidOwens_NewsInbox-4.png

would anyone please post up your tactics for me to try Im really struggling to get 2 or more wins on here with celtic, i got into the cl groups but finished bottom and now my job is insecure because im drawing too many

thank you

pm me your email

How did you change it to get the huddle mate?

I found the picture on Google (Can't find it back of course!) and put it in the steklo folder, I think there was a folder named bg or Background inside, then renamed it to "1" and replaced the original.

I'm really struggling to get any sort of result. We only just managed a 96th!!! minute penalty win over HJK and lost our match against Ross County. It's probably my tactics :(

Archived