FM13 - Athletic Club Bilbao - Los Leones

cemendur88

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've played four seasons as Atletic now. I won't try to summarise all four years, but the key competition results: Won Spanish Cup season 1, Finsihed 7th, 4th, 3rd and 1st(!!!!) in the league.

My tactics have been a mix of 3-4-3 (ala Napoli/Wigan) and 4-2-3-1 (ala everyone) with a a fast tempo, short passing, and high pressing (ala Bielsa!). I've tweaked them year on year based on the players in the team (eg, WB/FB roles depending on the individual's best roles, and IF or Winger instructions for the wide men based on individuals and overall philosophy).

I've been through a fair few Basque players, signing Rico, Benat, and Forlan at the start of season 1 with the £31.5m Tottenham paid me for Llorente. None of them are still at the club now as young players already at the club have come through, and I've been pretty active making sure I sign up the cream of the 16 year old Spanish crop each season - although only one of these has made it to my first team, he's a striker who scored 33 leage goals at 19 years old last season, therefore solving the main issue at Athletic; how to cope post Llorente. Interestingly, as well as Forlan did in season he was awful in season 2 and 3, and Aduriz was a much better option. I wish I'd gone with him from the start.

Big first eleven players signed over the four years include Inigo Martinez (£22m Jan of second season), Javi Martines (£36m end of season 2 after falling out of favour at Bayern), Ruffier (££19m) and Azpilicueta (£17m) at the end of season 3. On the whole though I'm still using a core of real life Athletic players, with Ramalho, San Jose, Herrera, Ruiz de Galaretta, Muniain, De Marcos and Susaeta all still key players for me. Ibai Gomez had an astonishing second season playing as winger of the right when Susaeta had a long injury, getting 21 assists and 9 goals in La Liga. He's never come anywhere near that form again since, unfortunately.

One of the most important things with Athletic I've found is to ensure the youth recruitment, junio training and training facilities are always kept as high as possible. It's this that's meant Ramalho and de Galaretta have become top quality players, and the likes of Herrea, Muniain and De Marcos have reached their potential. It's also meant the cantera is producing 2-3 4/5 star potential kids a season for me (even if they all seem to be DM's!).

Decided to come back to my save, but for season two I'm going to experiment with using wingbacks and a Libero, as well as keeping the tactic strikerless. So the formation is: SW; DC, DC; WBL, WBR, CM, CM, AML, AMC, AMR.

I have a £22.5m, 65k p/w deal in place for Inigo Martinez, who I want to retrain to be the Libero, despite Mikel san José already being accomplished in the position. I'd have used JaviMar if he hadn't buggered off to Bayern. :(

Doing my obligatory Athletic save now. I do one on each FM.

Started off different this time with the big transfer budget this year. I have decided to keep Llorente as I figure I won't need all that money. I usually end up having a lot of money and no transfer target with Athletic a few seasons in. Is there any chance he will change his mind and stay if you do well?

No one decent was really interested coming initially, but I still made a few bids and was surprised when Griezmann, Monreal, Benat and Ruffier all agreed to come (48 months installments). Though I now have an issue with the salary budget. I'm a few thousands pounds over and I can't afford to renew the contracts of Muniain (unhappy) and Susaeta, Amorebieta, Castillo and Toquero (all expiring in 12 months). I thought I'd be fine selling Iraizoz but surprisingly there are no takers. Hoping I'll be able to sort it out somehow before the transfer window is over.

I always use Munain as striker. He's been the best striker in the game for me the last three versions. Will play 442 with Llorente as targetman and Muniain buzzing around him. Started off well with a 3-1 win against AIK in the qualifiers. Muniain got two goals.

Ruffier

Iraola - San Jose - Ekiza/Aurtenexe - Monreal

Susaeta - Benat - Ander - Griezmann

Llorente - Munain.

First Season:

After the full overhaul of the back staff we have some good moves on transfer market. We managed to capture some good regens already as well:Noriega, San Sebastian, Fernandez. The whole transfer activity:Transfer S1 I sold the fullbacks as I used my own tactics with three CB. (CB-CB-CB-DM-ML-MC-MC-MR-ST-ST) Llorente also has been sold to finance the income transfers. Illaramendi has been transfer listed in January so I signed them to replace the ageing Gurpegi

Surprisingly we finished the season in third place and qualified to CL next season which is a great news (Financially too, as we can try to sign Inigo Martinez). Here it is the table and the fixtures list. La Liga, Fixtures 1, Fixtures 2.

In EL Tottanham was to tough for us but the team make a great effort.

Here it is the squad after the finishing of the first season:Squad

The youth intake was not to bad as one really good GK and one DM come through the rank, booth rated as four and half star player (can be a leading star of La Liga). Also managed to sign the following youth from Rayo for 11m €. Huge transfer fee but he can be the future striker force of the squad. Nieto

Next year we will focus on the domestic ompetitions and hopefully we can reach the KO phase of CL. The facilities also has been improved (New foreign youth feeder clubs also has been agreed) so I looking forward a good youth intake and improving squad.

Those guys look promising, szasinka. Nieto wow. I always struggle getting 'Right/Left Only'-strikers to do consistently well, but he looks like he can be a great poacher

I had a tough start to the season away against Real Madrid and then home to Barcelona in the first two games. Lost 6-1 to RM, but managed a 2-1 upset against Barcelona and went on to win the next 14 league games. The other good teams are not doing well at all. I reached the semi finals of the cup after beating RM, but lost 5-4 to Barcelona.

Currently sitting on top of the table after 24 games. 5 pts ahead of RM and 7 pts ahead of Barca. Looking at the fixture list it looks like I might be able to win it. Much thanks to Llorente who has 23 goals in 20 league games. It was very disappointing that it was Barcelona that ended up signing him for next season.

Griezmann has been great with AVR of 7.83, Susaeta not far behind. Aurentexe is my best defender. Muniain is scoring goals, but has had a few droughts already. I actually think he will improve when Llorente leaves.

I did win the league 1st season. It was actually a bit too easy. Barca and RM were surprisingly inconsistent, dropping points against relegation candidates. Llorente got a total of 40 goals (29 in the league) despite getting a 2 month injury. Now in 2nd season Barca and RM are looking much stronger. RM beat me 4-1 at San Mames. Higuain and CR are unstoppable right now.

Anyways, four months after leaving for free Llorente is willing to come back... only problem is... they want £44m!

I think I have to try and get him back. Aduriz did well in the targetman role at the start of the season, but his stats are dropping quickly and he just had two awful games. Toquero plays great in the odd game but usually goes missing. Most of the promising newgens were defenders and keepers, but I did manage to get a decent striker on loan from Barcelona with future fee agreed, but he is still some way off from being good enough.

I am currently paying 1.7m in installments each month. Signing Llorente would bring that up to a risky level, and it's not like I have any players I could sell, cos they are all important. I'm very desperate for a striker though.

Llorente makes his return with 11 goals in his first 3 games!:

UbnVJ0y.jpg

Direct image link: http://i.imgur.com/UbnVJ0y.jpg

I was able to get the fee down to £32.5m. First game, 2 days after signing, I let him sit on the bench in a cup game at home against Atletico. They won the 1st game 2-1, but I still field a young side that have done pretty well so far. They are unable to create anything of note and we trail 1-0 at HT. So I give them hell and put in Llorente. He grabs a hat trick to send us through to the quarter finals with 4-3 on agg.

The game had been postponed so the 1st game in the quarter finals is only 4 days later, against Sociedad! This time I choose my best team. We win 3-1 and Llorente grabs another hat trick. What a return!

Next game, 3 days later, is against Granada, who's struggling in bottom half of the table. I'm thinking surly he can't continue like this, but Llorente is on fire. Within 27 minutes he scores a hat trick, and ends up getting 5 goals and a perfect 10 in a record 8-0 win!

quick Sesond season update

It was a fantastic season as we do the double. The tactic starts work really well. Our attacking force was amazing with Muniain who bagged 39 league goals. Our defence also has been consolidated with arrival of I. Martinez (For 20m€+1m€).

We have closed the year with significant loss (due to transfers and the hefty facilities improvement costs (near 7m € ouch))

Here it is the table and the fixtures lists: Table, Fixtures1, Fixtures2

We have nearly throw away the title with late poor form but we managed the draw in Camp Nou which secure the title.

We did not have luck in CL with the group and we suffered some heavy defeat but we concentrate more on the league.

Next season we would like to reach the KO phase with more luck with the group the young improving squad I am sure that we can survive the Europe autumn. Our future new star (Nieto) improving nicelly allong with other promising youngstars, maybe I will bring up him from U19 directly and skip the experience year at Bilbao A.

And nice that they get new stadium with 53000 capacity next season. :o

nuevo+san+mames.jpg

They may well do on FM, although not looking too likely in real life lol. I was there the other day and the progress from October til now isn't staggering considering 3/4 of it should be ready for the start of next season. They are opening the first 3 stands for this next season then finishing it the year after that with the last stand. Such a shame to see the old one go though, I really hoped they would turn the stand with the arch from the old one around to keep a bit of history!

I signed Griezemann, Monreal, Benat and Azpilceuta(2nd window) in the first season and I didn't sell Llorente. As said earlier I also bought him back after 6 month.

They might not be initially interested, but if you make a bid they will agree to discuss a deal

Just started a new game, I always try and wait for the latest patch to come out. Although in this case it isn't really ideal as the Llorente deal is obviously happening at the end of the season and you can't cash in on him at all. Started with 17.5m and signed Griezmann for 21m (Buy Out Clause) paid in 48 month installments so I still have another 10m to spend at the moment, which should be enough to cover Benat's buy out clause also in 48 month installments. I've also signed Pol Balleste (Young GK) and Asier Del Horno for backup.

As for player updates, Laporte's had a massive boost and rightly so, haven't really got to see the rest of the squad in comparison to the last patch yet though. How many of you have signed Ruben Pardo? The guy looks awesome but I'm not getting any bid less than 30m accepted? and that's ridiculous money.

Recently started a new game with Bilbao. What is the transferbudget in the second season if Lorente stays. Cause when I sell him in August I have a lot of money but except Benat nobody wants to join my team.

You can't keep Llorente. He starts season one with the caveat that he is "Leaving on a Free Transfer" and there's nothing you can do. If you're not happy to let him go for free you can usually offload him by offering him our for £31.5m (his buyout price) at the start of the game. Forlan is the only other top class Basque striker, but he'll only manage 1 to 1.5 good seasons, though Aduriz seems to have been very good for most people and Muniain became a 30 goal a season striker for me after one relatively unsuccessful year in the position learning the role.

• 1 month later...

Just started a game with Bilbao. I tossed up between a few clubs but settled on Bilbao due to the challenge of having a limited pool of players to draw upon. It means tactical decisions will be based on who I am given rather than who I buy/sign.

Looking forward to it.

Just started a game with Bilbao. I tossed up between a few clubs but settled on Bilbao due to the challenge of having a limited pool of players to draw upon. It means tactical decisions will be based on who I am given rather than who I buy/sign.

Looking forward to it.

Let us know how you get on, it's definitely my favourite club to manage on FM13.

Is De Marcos really that good? He seems like a jack of all trades but master of none. His passing is low for a midfielder, his crossing and finishing are low. He can run all day with 17 stamina but that's about it.

Is De Marcos really that good? He seems like a jack of all trades but master of none. His passing is low for a midfielder, his crossing and finishing are low. He can run all day with 17 stamina but that's about it.

Played as an attacking midfield with attack instructions he can be immense. I'm in my 7th season and he has scored around 15 league goals every year for me (although this isn't on the post-Jan patch).

• 5 months later...

I load all spanish and french leagues (down to lowest possible level), then also top leagues in england, italy and germany to get some decent competition in european competitions, then if I can recall it I load all basque players

Archived