FM13 - Athletic Club Bilbao - Los Leones

cemendur88

I had a great first season with a loss on penalties to Marsielle in the Euro Cup. Got to the Semi's in the Spanish cup, and had a really bad return game against Betis, lost 3-0 and was out. As for the League I got a 3rd place, 1 point ahead of 4th and 23 points up to 2nd (R. Madrid).

2nd season was mediocre at best, finished 8th in the league after Forlan stopped scoring. Got to the quarter finals in the cup. And got knocked out in the first knockout round in the CL.

3rd season was better, another 3rd place finish, this time closer to 2nd and further from 4th than before. Lost to Atletico Madrid in the semi finals of the cup (it was Madrid and Barcelona in the other final anyway..).

I made a few signings for Bilbao Athletic in the first season, and they finished in the top of Liga Adelante last season and are looking good so far in this season, only 4 points from a first place. My guess it that in a season or two it will be a newgen only team, so the best players from the academy will get regular football in Liga Adelante, which really help them develop.

Just finished my first season, coming in 7th in the league (although, but for a last minute equaliser from Rayo in the final game of the season I'd have finished 5th). I was knocked out of the Europa League in the first knockout round by Schalke, but the highlight of the season was a very unlikely Spanish Cup win - beating Madrid 5-4 in the quarter final, knocking Villareal out with an away goal scored in the last ten minutes of the semi-final second leg, and coming from 1-0 down to beat Barcelone 2-1 AET in the final. Muniain was La Liga young player of the year, with Ramalho third. Herrera is now a regular part of the Spain set up. I managed to secure a 4 year contract off the back of this, my Bielsa-like attaching play and integration of youngsters in to the first team.

The board expect me to finish in a Champions League spot and reach the semi finals of both the Spanish Cup and Europa League in my second season, which is pretty daunting - especially as Forlan has taken a dramatic dip and is now second best to Aduritz, according to my assistant, and I've failed to sign any senior players during the summer window. Chelsea were willing to let me have Azpilicueta for £9.5m but his wages were unreasonable (and Iraola was one of my best players last season anyway), and Ruffier's price is too high.

I guess I'd better hope for a lucky year on the injury front - and see if the 16 year old newgen striker I signed with 5 star potential fancies developing very quickly ;)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a couple of questions for those who are a bit into there saves:

1) does the b and c team managers still move players up and down between b and c team on the current patch? while you yourself cant do anything about it other then to move the player back again

2) is it easier to sign players from Sociedad this year then it was on fm12?

1) My assistant is doing this for me, yes. But I think you might be able to change that in the new 'Staff Responsibilities' section. Maybe someone else can confirm.

2) Yeah, it's not easy, though I think this mirrors real life. A few people have had success getting hold of Griezemann due to a release clause (see earlier posts), but Sociedad are not interested in selling Inigo Martinez to me.

I'm thinking of starting an Athletic Bilbao save, but have a question: Just how hard is it with the no non-Basque players rule in place? Is it possible to find enough Basque talent to get anywhere?

Depends on your aims - you're unlikely to win La Liga or the Champions League anytime soon, but you can certainly do reasonably well. There's a good squad there already (players like De Marcos, Susaeta, Muinian and Herrera are top quality) and there's a handful of youngsters (Ramalho, de Galarreta, Aurtentxe, Etxebarria) with 4/4.5 star potential at different stages of their development.

With Llorente set on leaving on a free you can cash in on him at the start of the game and look at strengthening the squad with the likes of Benat, Monreal, Diego Forlan, and Stephane Ruffier. Unrealistic targets at the start of the game, but Basque nonetheless, include Xabi Alonso, Mikel Arteta, Cesar Azpilicueta, Antoine Griezemann, Inigo Martinez, and, of course, Javi Martinez. You should also note that players 16 and under of Spanish nationalilty can be signed, so every March you can scout all the Spanish newgens and nab the best ones before they sign contracts elsewhere.

I've found playing as Bilbao to be the most fun save I've done in ages, because it forces you to concentrate on developing young players and finding the right tactics for the squad you have. If you prefer some wheeler-dealing and changing 8 or 9 players each summer this isn't the club for you. It also makes you appreciate your average players a lot more, because they're going to be around for a long time, and it's important to rotate much more than anywhere else. You can't afford for those back up players to become unhappy and hanker after a move away because there's few decent replacements out there.

Depends on your aims - you're unlikely to win La Liga or the Champions League anytime soon, but you can certainly do reasonably well. There's a good squad there already (players like De Marcos, Susaeta, Muinian and Herrera are top quality) and there's a handful of youngsters (Ramalho, de Galarreta, Aurtentxe, Etxebarria) with 4/4.5 star potential at different stages of their development.

With Llorente set on leaving on a free you can cash in on him at the start of the game and look at strengthening the squad with the likes of Benat, Monreal, Diego Forlan, and Stephane Ruffier. Unrealistic targets at the start of the game, but Basque nonetheless, include Xabi Alonso, Mikel Arteta, Cesar Azpilicueta, Antoine Griezemann, Inigo Martinez, and, of course, Javi Martinez. You should also note that players 16 and under of Spanish nationalilty can be signed, so every March you can scout all the Spanish newgens and nab the best ones before they sign contracts elsewhere.

I've found playing as Bilbao to be the most fun save I've done in ages, because it forces you to concentrate on developing young players and finding the right tactics for the squad you have. If you prefer some wheeler-dealing and changing 8 or 9 players each summer this isn't the club for you. It also makes you appreciate your average players a lot more, because they're going to be around for a long time, and it's important to rotate much more than anywhere else. You can't afford for those back up players to become unhappy and hanker after a move away because there's few decent replacements out there.

Cheers for the response :) I really like the challenge of only being able to sign a very narrow range of players and I guess also gives you a chance as you say on developing your own and trawling for every young Basque talent you can find and grabbing them.

Just managed to sign Inigo Martinez for £22m (only £4m up front) on deadline day of the summer window at the start of season 2. That move meant I like Ekiza sort out a move to Werder Bremen that my DoF had been working in. I also let Forlan leave after a dramatic downturn in stats and form from the first season, and have been playing with Muniain in the middle of a front three with De Marcos and Susaeta, hoping they'll share the goals around. Seems to be working so far.

This is how I line up in my two main formations, both with fluid, attacking instructions, pressing hard and playing short passes:

4-2-3-1 with the right winger pushed on in to a striker's position:

Iraizoz

Iraola San Jose Inigo Martinez Monreal

de Galaretta/Iturraspe Javi Martinez

(DLP - S) (BWM - D)

Herrera De Marcos

(AMC - A) (IF - A)

Susaeta/Ibai Muniain

(W-A) (CF - A)

3-4-3 ala Napoli/Wigan:

Iraizoz

San Jose Ramalho Inigo Martinez

(BPD)

Iraola De Marcos

Herrera/de Galaretta Javi Martinez

(AM - A) (BWM - D)

Susaeta Ibai

(IF - S) (IF - A)

Muniain

(CF - A)

I also have a ridiculous formation I use against the biggest teams where I play 3 CB's, 2 WB's, a diamond in midfield and a TM upfront. It concedes the flanks, overruns the centre and looks to break fast on the counter. It does well against Barcelona (who I have league wins and a draw against, as well as a Cope del Rey cup final victory), but is a hit and miss against Real Madrid.

Completed my first season with Athletic Club.

Main transfers :

Out - F. Llorente 36 Mil. €

In - A. Griezmann 24 Mil. € ( clause ) N. Monreal 12 Mil. € ( clause ) , A. illarramendi 7.5 Mil. €, M. Balenziaga 4 Mil. €, X. Etxeita 1.2 Mil. €

Liga : 4th with 72 pts behind Barcelona ( 95 ) Real ( 86 ) Athletico ( 73 )

Europa Cup : Q/F lost to Stuttgart ( A 0-0 / H 2-2 )

Copa del Rey : Q/F lost to rivals Osasuna ( H 1-0 / A 0-2 )

I seem to find myself always completely overhauling whenever I take over a team so a team with an only Basque nationality requirement will forbid me from doing my usual failing which will ultimately spoil the save. I will probably add myself as a 2nd manager to take over the B team in order to better guide the youths.

I seem to find myself always completely overhauling whenever I take over a team so a team with an only Basque nationality requirement will forbid me from doing my usual failing which will ultimately spoil the save. I will probably add myself as a 2nd manager to take over the B team in order to better guide the youths.
playing as Athletic also help me overcome one of my own failings, namely the time it take for me to progress past transfer windows....when the options on who to sign are so limited it is much easier and it consumes a lot less time to make up my mind on transfers, which in turn helps me to get the save going and play it for more game years

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my fourth season - and won La Liga! I'm not really sure what happened, but after re-signing Javi Martinez, and adding Ruffier and Azpilicueta over the last two summers, it all clicked. I've now finished 7th, 4th, 3rd and 1st.

Ramlho has turned in to one of the best defenders in Spain, Ruiz de Galaretta is a first team regular, and Markel Etxeberria will take over from Iraola as first choice RB next season (Azpilicueta has settled in to the LB position better). My First team is Ruffier; Iraola, San Jose, Ramalho, Azpilicueta; Herrera, Martinez; Susaeta/Ibai, Muniain, De Marcos; Jodra (newgen). All of those players have developed significantly from season one, with wide players Ibai, Susaeta and De Marcos all contributing 10+ goals and 10/12 assists. Muniain had a season at Centre Forward when Aduriz faded and before Jodra was ready, and scored 31 goals!

I've also got 6 or 7 newgens signed from elsewhere at a young age or developed straight from the cantera who have the potential to be world class.

Just finished my fourth season - and won La Liga! I'm not really sure what happened, but after re-signing Javi Martinez, and adding Ruffier and Azpilicueta over the last two summers, it all clicked. I've now finished 7th, 4th, 3rd and 1st.

Ramlho has turned in to one of the best defenders in Spain, Ruiz de Galaretta is a first team regular, and Markel Etxeberria will take over from Iraola as first choice RB next season (Azpilicueta has settled in to the LB position better). My First team is Ruffier; Iraola, San Jose, Ramalho, Azpilicueta; Herrera, Martinez; Susaeta/Ibai, Muniain, De Marcos; Jodra (newgen). All of those players have developed significantly from season one, with wide players Ibai, Susaeta and De Marcos all contributing 10+ goals and 10/12 assists. Muniain had a season at Centre Forward when Aduriz faded and before Jodra was ready, and scored 31 goals!

I've also got 6 or 7 newgens signed from elsewhere at a young age or developed straight from the cantera who have the potential to be world class.

can advise which player to get rid in 1st or 2nd season ?

I started by selling Llorente by offering him to foreign clubs for his buyout clause of £31.5m. Tottenham and Chelsea both bid that, straight cash, and he went to Spurs. I used the money to buy Benat, Monreal, and Mikel Rico - all of which did okay for a little while but have been moved on now so I can bring youngsters through.

I don't think I really sold anyone else at the start. You need to keep hold of your squad players and you need to play them enough to keep them happy, because there's only a small pool of players to replace them with. I've found by asking for the training facilities to be improved and number of coaches to be increased I've been able to drastically improve some of the more average players like Ibai Gomez, Iturraspe, Inigo Perez, and Aurtenetxe so they're now 3.5/4 stars, which is plenty good enough for a team who are realistically only ever going to challenge for a Champions League place (unless they fluke the league, like I did - though the fact I managed to pinch significant players like Azpilicueta and Javi Martinez when they fell out with their managers was a stroke of luck not everyone's going to have, I'd imagine).

The other players I moved on as youngsters improved or signings were made were Amorebieta (he played well enough but decided he wanted a new challenge), and Borja Ekiza (always pretty useless for me).

Reading through this thread has made me want to play as Athletic Bilbao. I'm really enjoying my Swansea save at the moment but after reading this, I'm putting the Swans game on stall to give this a go.Never played as Bilbao before but love the idea of only having a certain number of players available to sign, and having to develop your own talent. Will keep you updated on my progress.

Decided to give it a go with Bilbao. Has anyone managed to keep Llorente or is it impossible and coded into the game that he will leave? I know it says leaving on a free transfer but have I no chance?

Decided to give it a go with Bilbao. Has anyone managed to keep Llorente or is it impossible and coded into the game that he will leave? I know it says leaving on a free transfer but have I no chance?

I was also wondering this. If I can't keep him long term then I'm definitely selling straight away.

I was also wondering this. If I can't keep him long term then I'm definitely selling straight away.

Impossible to keep Llorente, it's coded into the game he'll leave at the end of the contract. Your only chance to make money is to sell him in the 1st transfer window, and usually a couple of english team (i.e. Chelsea and Spurs) are offering the entire release clause fee (36M€!). If you don't sell him in july/august 1st season, in january 2013 he will agree a free transfer (usually with Barca) on 1.7.13

The only way to have the chance to offer him a new contract, is opening the editor and untick the box "he will leave at the end of the contract" and then start a new game.

I sold Llorente. Been playing Muniain as a lone Striker. The problem I'm having is that I'm creating a lot of clear cut opportunities, but I have nobody with that goal scoring touch. I also have the problem at the moment that I'm dominating games and losing. Almost coming up to the January window, will update properly once I'm there.

An hour and a half after my last post, and 6 frustrating games later, I've decided to start again. Didn't get sacked but must have been close. Was fed up of reading ''<insert every team name in the world here> profit from wastful Les Leones''. Need to find a tactic that fits the bill.

Just out of interest.. who do you lot find more reliable, ekiza or amorebieta? Both have flaws, but as I'm conceding a lot of goals from crosses on this latest patch, I'm starting to think I should give amorebieta the nod more often than ekiza. Opinions?

Just out of interest.. who do you lot find more reliable, ekiza or amorebieta? Both have flaws, but as I'm conceding a lot of goals from crosses on this latest patch, I'm starting to think I should give amorebieta the nod more often than ekiza. Opinions?
Amorebieta, he is better in the air and he is left footed (and so compliment San Jose better)

1st January 2013

Guess I should start at the beginning. I took over with the intentions of playing 4-2-3-1 formation, but failed miserably with it so started again. Struggled to get the team to score goals, despite making quite frequent CCC's. Also seemed to concede goals without giving the opponent CCC's so I needed to change it before I punched my laptop in frustration. It didn't help that I had my then Assistant manager, Johan Cruijff setting OI's, and getting players sent off with his overly aggressive approach.

Formation

My formation is now a steady 4-3-3 like the one in the OP. For anyone interested in the tactic and roles, here's a picture. All roles are unchanged except long shots on rarely for everyone.

tactic.jpg

[/url]

Tranfers

After finding out that Llorente was definitely leaving, I offered him to clubs for his release clause. Spurs and Arsenal came up with the cash upfront, and he ended up going to Arsenal. So with a heavy tranfer budget, I set about bringing as much quality into the club as I could. I bought Monreal, Griezmann and Benat for their minimum fee releases. All were paid over 48 months. I also bought a 16 year old keeper in called Pol Balleste from Malaga(highly recommended - 4.5 star potential compared to Arrizabalaga's 3.5 stars). Del Horno came in for back up and tutoring purposes. Lots of youngsters who looked poor were shipped out on frees or had contracts terminated.

Athletic_Transfers_History.png

I also have the ambitions of signing Llorente and Martinez back, plus Cesar Azpilicueta, Inigo Martinez, Ruben Prado, Iker Hernandez, Asier Illarramendi and possibly Stephane Ruffier and Raul Garcia, depending on how players develop.

Staff

Had a complete overhaul of the staff. You can see my current staff here.

The League

LIGA_BBVA_Overview_Stages.png

Been really happy with how things are going in the league. For anyone wondering, the reason my goals conceded is so poor compared to everyone around me is because I suffered a 6-1 drubbing at the hands of Real Madrid in the Bernebeau. Not my proudest day. The other two losses were to Celta at home(3-0 up and Ander Hererra decided to lunge in, sent off, powerless to resist a comback) and a 1-0 loss away to Osasuna on an off day for my players. My best win comes at the hands of Barcelona. A 2-1 win at Camp Nou thanks to a very clinical display.

Cups

I have had some very kind draws so far in cup competitions. I beat Ast. Tripolis 5-1 on aggregate in the 3rd round qualifier of the Euro cup, before beating Luzern by the same scoreline in the play off. My group was then Metalist, Partizan and Slask. I used rotation, fringe and youth players for all these games including qualifiers and managed to finish the group 2nd on 13 points, missing out on top spot to Metalist on goal difference. I have since drawn Lyon in the knockout stages, and if I win through that, it's potentially Tottenham.

In the Spanish Cup I have beaten Alaves 4-2 on aggregate, followed by Rayo Vallecano 6-0 on aggregate. I have now drawn Malaga in the quarters, and the winner will play either Sevilla or Cordoba in the semi's. So a decent chance of making the final.

Player performances

Gk - Been using Iraizoz as main league keeper, Fernandez as Euro Cup keeper and Pol Balleste as the Spanish Cup keeper. No real stand out performers among them. Balleste is developing nicely though, along with Arrizabalaga.

RB - Iraola has played the league games, with Jonas Ramalho and Merkel Etxeberria taking the cup games. Iraola has been solid as expected (7.22) and the youngsters are both coming along nicely too.

LB - Monreal has been below par to be honest, and I'm tempted to drop him for Xabi Castillo, who's been a revalation in cup games. 8 games, 3 goals and an average rating of 7.54 is hard to ignore. Also have Enric Saborit developing nicely.

CB - Mikel San Jose has been ever present, while the other spot has been rotated between Amorebieta and Ekita. Cup games have seen Del Horno, Aurtenetxe all have a go. The latter is starting to look like a future starter, and Aymeric Laporte is also improving well.

DM - Playing Benat here, and using Itturaspe when he needs a rest. Gurpegi has also played here in a few cup games.

CM - These slots have belonged to Hererra(3 goals) and De Marcos(7 goals), who have been played really well. Cover provided from Inigo Perez(5 goals) and Itturaspe. Galaretta is the future and Ivan Pena also looks like he might make the grade.

RW - Position being owned by Susaeta(6 goals), with Gaizka Toquero providing adequete cover.

LW - Griezzman also has 6 goals from the other wing, and Ibai Gomez is excellent cover and has scored 5 himself.

ST - Playing the main man Muniain here, and tried to set it up so he creates for others and himself. He's scored 7 goals so far and has 5 assists. Not quite the ratio I'm after but time is on his side. Aduriz is doing very well when he comes in, having scored 7 himself. Guillermo Fernandez looks like a great prospect and has also featured a couple of times.

Season aims

-Get into Champions League

-Make Spanish Cup Final

-Win Euro Cup(ambitious)

-Continue to develop yougsters

If you've managed to read through all of this without getting bored, then I commend you. I got a bit carried away. Guess it shows my enthusiasm for this save. Absolutely loving it at the moment. I'll try not to make the end of season one so long. Can't wait for the new youth players now..

this is my first ever Athletic Bilbao save, i have never ever played with them before. Hopefully this will be one of the legends for me.

As you can see i've used all my resources and now have a ambitious squad. What do you guys think about my Bilbao?

I'm about to start my first season and here is my squad.

screenshot20130108at728.png

Some nice aquisitions there. Should be good enough for top 4. Interested to know how you managed to convince Inigo Martinez to sign though? I have had bids accepted in every window so far, and each time he tells me he's not interested. I can't even offer a contract.

Some nice aquisitions there. Should be good enough for top 4. Interested to know how you managed to convince Inigo Martinez to sign though? I have had bids accepted in every window so far, and each time he tells me he's not interested. I can't even offer a contract.

Its interesting really. First save i had i declared how interested i was in signing him, praised him etc.. etc.. then towards the end of july i had my bid accepted by his club, but unfortunately he was not interested even on negotiating. (just like yours) Well, what could i do, nothing! so i gave up on him and continued my game, after a couple of weeks later the game had a crush dump, i did not saved it so i had to start all over again, and i did, but this time, as soon as i loaded a new game, instead of targeting other players like benat etc.. i went after inigo, and this time, he said he was not interested but still was willing to listen to my offer, and just like that, i signed him for 3 million euro's a year + bonuses

hi nice thread, just got fm13 so this is my first save, i started out as barca b manager, got the athletic job in oct and been bringing them up to the top 7, going to go more attacking and see if that can turn some of my losses into draws and draws into wins, with the last 10 games of the season coming up i will post on my first season when im finished, the biggest problem i will have in season 2 is a striker.

I've brought Forlan for striker position but i must say Aduriz is playing much better, definitely give him a chance, he will be very good option for 1-2 years until a decent regen comes up.

btw, i havent selected english, italian leagues etc.. since its useless with bilbao save, however i still want to be able to hire coaches from those countries, is there a way to do it without loading an entire country and slowing the game?

I've brought Forlan for striker position but i must say Aduriz is playing much better, definitely give him a chance, he will be very good option for 1-2 years until a decent regen comes up.

btw, i havent selected english, italian leagues etc.. since its useless with bilbao save, however i still want to be able to hire coaches from those countries, is there a way to do it without loading an entire country and slowing the game?

I also found the staff options available to me to be a bit limited. Sadly, I dont think there is any other way of doing it.

Couldn't agree with you more about Aduriz, he's been playing really well for me too.

I also found the staff options available to me to be a bit limited. Sadly, I dont think there is any other way of doing it.

Couldn't agree with you more about Aduriz, he's been playing really well for me too.

Then i guess i will load Italian, Brazil and English leagues, because in a team like Bilbao, giving the best possible training to players is the most important element for future success.

quick question to everyone:

how do you guys get the best out of Benat? i play him in MC as a deep lying support role but he is not effective at all..

and how is Rico doing for most of you?

i must say, the center of my midfield, Benat & Rico is the most worrying area for me. (along with our goalie, he is nowhere good enough if we really want a serious challenge for top 4)

guys i have loaded uruguay, venezuela, argentina and france, because there is a considerably large amount of basque people in those countries, i dont know if this is included in the game or not, but i'll eventually find out if there is a basque regen from these regions in future seasons .

how do you guys play Aduriz, i cant seem to get him playing well in most games.

I play him as a lone striker trequartista, i have Ander as a play maker behind him in the AMC position, Muniain AMR inside forward support, Griezmann as a winger attack at AML

Is anyone far enough into their save to show off any good regens they may have? That have either come through their own academy or another team's?

What other nations produce "Basque" players? Or is it just Spain?

1st July 2013

So the season is over. All in all, it was a great first season for me at Bilbao. An impressive league campaign got me up to third in the final league standings. Not as impressive in the cup competitions, but I'd have taken this at the start of the season for definite.

League

LIGA_BBVA_Overview_Stages.jpg

Tranfers

Athletic_Transfers_History.jpg

Everyone signed today(1st July 2013) is a newgen. Once the newgen creation date came around I spent about an hour scouring spanish clubs for 16 year old talent that I could sign because all of the newgens that came through my youth system were awful. Managed to get some of them on compensation, but had to splash out quite a bit of cash on others.

I still plan to attempt to sign Llorente and Martinez back. Azpilicueta seems to be the first choice rightback at Chelsea, but I'm monitoring it. Also keeping tabs on Inigo Martinez and Ruben Pardo, but Sociedad did well and got a Euro Cup spot so they might cost me a bit now.

Cups

Okay so I may have got a bit ahead of myself in my January update. Got knocked out of the Spanish cup to Malaga in the next round(QTR's) losing 4-3 on aggregate. Also got knocked out of Euro Cup in the next round(1st knockout) to Lyon 5-2 on aggregate. Shambles.

Player performances

Untitled.png

[/url]

I wasn't really disappointed with anyone, except maybe the goalkeeper but when you play attacking football like my team then the keeper will always concede goals.

You should also be able to see from the picture how much goals are shared around my team. Oh and for anyone wondering, San Jose takes my penalties, that's how he got so many goals.

So onto the second season we go..

Season aims

-Finish in top 4

-Win Spanish Cup

-Get into knockout stages of CL

-Continue to develop yougsters

The newgens

Angel Pinillos

ngel_Pinillos_Overview_Profile.jpg

Gaspar Selles

Gaspar_Selles_Overview_Profile.jpg

Emilio

Emilio_Overview_Profile.jpg

Inaki Bergara

I_aki_Bergara_Overview_Profile.jpg

Isaac

Isaac_Overview_Profile.jpg

Jacinto

Jacinto_Overview_Profile.jpg

Jaume Ferrer

Jaume_Ferrer_Overview_Profile.jpg

Javier

Javier_Overview_Profile.jpg

Miguel

Miguel_Overview_Profile.jpg

Ricardo

Ricardo_Overview_Profile.jpg

Some exciting prospects there I hope, especially Miguel.

quick question to everyone:

how do you guys get the best out of Benat? i play him in MC as a deep lying support role but he is not effective at all..

and how is Rico doing for most of you?

i must say, the center of my midfield, Benat & Rico is the most worrying area for me. (along with our goalie, he is nowhere good enough if we really want a serious challenge for top 4) .

I play Benat as a DLP in the DM position. He does okay, but doesn't set the world alight. Average rating of 7.15 with 4 goals and 13 assists in first season. I didn't sign Rico because he's not really any better than Itturaspe in my opinion and he's older.

First season of my Bilbao save is also over, and look how similar it is to Phenomenon! i'm shocked :)

screenshot20130110at253.png

scredenshot20130110at30.png

Some notes:

a)Rico was playing below average so i decided to play IIIlaremendi and he was better then him.

b)Forlan was good, scored 14 in the league but Aduriz was better, he scored 18.

Although Aduriz is reliable, i'm still thinking of maybe using Muniain as a deep lying support as a lone striker role and play Susaeta on the right wing, i have not decided yet. This is basically a decision between Aduriz/Forlan & Susaeta

c)Goalie is by far the weakest link, all the rest can be resolved somehow but goalie is a serious concern, he is not good enough, i will be buying Ruffier this summer, although he is not one of the best, he is still slightly better then our current goalie, which tbh, is what this team needs the most.

d)San Jose/Inigo Martinez/Herrera are the top 3 players of the first season

e)Iraizoz/Rico were the least performed players of the first season

plans for the future:

after extensive scouting, i found many good 16 years old spanish regens. I will be buying most of them and create a solid platform for the team's future. I also have 2-3 really good regens that came out from my own academy. I have tried to hire the best youth coaches and focused a lot on their individual trainings.

my plan is to play for top 4 position for two more seasons and after that, with the help of developing regens and my current stars, i'm planning to win the title in the 2015/16 season, the season of 2015/16 will be the beginning of a new Era for Bilbao :)

(ofcourse i could be challenging for the crown even earlier than this, but this is my realistic strategy)

Btw: do you guys have a problem with the lack of good coaches? will loading up England, Brazil and Italy will help?

and Phenomenon, i will do just like you, buy about 9 or 10 very good 15-16 years old regens that i found, this is the crucial element for my 2015/16 project :)

I'm playing him as a AMR in my second year, lets see how he is. I decided to play Muniain as a lone striker to utilize best from such a talent.

I'm so used to buying 2-3 very good players with my other FM saves, the summer transfer window was a weird one for me :)

Its hard to get used to the Basque restrictions but now i'm getting used to it and its really much enjoyable then other saves, simply because its really hard to dominate the league you are in.

Season one finished,

after taking over end of oct, my job was to get into the top 6, I failed finished 8th.

so looking back at the season the highs def were the draw away to barca and the home win over league winners madrid.

bad points have to be the last 6 games only 2 wins on the run in and I seen all 6 games as winnable.

good players Susaeta, great linking up with llorente

Llorente how am I going to replace him?

I need a new ass manager, any ideas?

how can i go about getting Muniain as a striker?

• 3 weeks later...

Started my annual Athletic save by selling Llorente to Arsenal for £31.5m and switching to a 4-1-2-3-0 strikerless formation, with Muniain as the false 9. Two players in - Benat for £17.5m and Griezmann for £21m.

Currently just coming to the end of January, topped our EL group, drawing PSG in the first round, and we are 2nd in the league, 3 points behind Real Madrid, but a huge 10 points clear of Barcelona. Drew with both clubs away, and still unbeaten in all competitions.

Had a staff clearout, bringing in only Spanish, and where possible, Basque staff. Francisco Ayestaran joined as AM; Borrell, Correa, Iribarren, Antonio Marin and Toni Ruiz joined as Coaches; Juan José Lasuen joined as a GK coach; Gonzalo Abando as a fitness coach and finally Ricardo Perez as Head Physio.

Archived