FM13 What team should I be!

Purefun

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't played as Kyiv, no, although I've managed in Ukraine quite a lot (3 years as Shakhtar in one save; on a separate save I had 2 years with Krymteplystya, a second division side) and always thought they looked like a good side to manage. They've got some class players too, as you've highlighted.

I'm going through a severe FM slump at the moment and I haven't really got into a game since the new database was released. I'm looking for an interesting team to manage, with a long term goal. I don't mind whether they are a fallen giant or a team that has never won a trophy but just looking for a long term aim.

Nation: England, Germany, holland, Italy, Spain, Scotland

Division: Don't mind really

European Competition: don't mind

Media Prediction: Depends on the challenge

Board expectations: preferably none, but not too bothered

Transfer Budget: Not too fussed

Wage Budget: See above

Finances: Don't mind really but not masses of debt

Nation: England, Europe maybe.

Division: League One

European Competition: NA

Media Prediction: Top 4, promotion candinates

Board Expectation(s): Same as above

Transfer Budget: Pretty wealthy

Wage Budget: Pretty Wealthy

Finances: Rich, okay.

Other: Looking for a team with money, good squad and up there for promotion, would prefer league one but if someone suggests a good team in europe will consider

I'd suggest Newcastle :thup: Currently who I'm managing and I'm lovin' it. Plus the Newcastle thread is really active.

I was in a slump too until I got into this Newcastle save.

Cheers mate, might give them a go. Only issue with the toon army is I had a good save with them on the first patch, finished 3rd and won the Europa league and I don't think I'd be able to hit those heights again. Definitely one to consider though.

Division: Championship

Finances: not important

Stadium: should be big enough to generate some funds

Prediction: don't mind

Candidats: Sheffield Wednesday, Birmingham, Blackburn, but I open for other good suggestions

Promotion should be possible in the 1st/2nd season

what to start a new game in the prem, can't decide who though, liverpool, , qpr, swansea, villa or wigan?

I suppose QPR if you want to have lots of money to spend and build a new superteam to contend with Utd, City, Chelsea etc, although the idea of rebuilding Liverpool back into what they once were sounds the most appealing.

Division: Championship

Finances: not important

Stadium: should be big enough to generate some funds

Prediction: don't mind

Candidats: Sheffield Wednesday, Birmingham, Blackburn, but I open for other good suggestions

Promotion should be possible in the 1st/2nd season

What about Leeds?

They have some money, a team that need to be build but with good options.

And have some monye 5M €

Nation: Italy

Division: Serie A

Media Prediction: Middle Tabble

Board expectations: Dont care

Transfer Budget: Dont care

Wage Budget: Dont care

Finances: Don't mind really but not masses of debt~

I want at team with story nad that has good youth facilities and young players in Italy. Any help?

Sampdoria. Or Atalanta, but I prefer Samp. Got the training and youth facilities. Players like Romero in goal, Poli, Palombo, Pedro in midfield, and Icardi up top. No debt as far as I know, but not much money to use. And their story is nice too - having just returned to the top tier. The squad has a great core but really needs some diligent work in the market to start challenging for Europe.

Nation: Europe. Eastern or Central Europe

Division: Top

European Competition: Preferrable but not reuqired

Media Prediction: Top half, preferrably

Board Expectation(s): Realistic

Transfer Budget: A couple million would be nice

Wage Budget: Some space would also be nice

Finances: Solid

Other: Just curious what people have for suggestions. My standard go-to clubs in past versions were AFC Ajax, Bayer Leverkusen, Hamburg, and CSKA Mosocw. Not of those really appeal much in this version for some reason. I like clubs that are near the top in a given division, with enough reputation to attract some foreign players, with the goal of developing some new stars and being competive from the start. Rich clubs like Anji and Shakhtar don't hold a ton of interest for me at this point. I've been playing as Vfb Stuttgart because they have a good youth setup and quite a few quality prospects... which is nice, but it makes me really hesistant to spend the transfer money other than on positions of absolute need, as I don't want to bloat the squad. I am really intrigued by managing in Russia and have tried out both Spartak Moscow and Lokomotiv Moscow, but started to feel constricted by the foreigner rules quite quickly. Still think Russia might be my best bet. The problems I forsee with a lot of possible nations is not being able to keep the talent very long, not having much money, and not being able to attract foreign players of any quality. Its why I hestiate on mid-level Dutch clubs, Scandinavian clubs, and lot of the smaller Eastern European nations.

I would have suggested Red Star Belgrade but they might be in too low a reputation league for you. They have a quality stadium and a few top young players. Then the fact they haven't won the league in 5-6 seasons.

If you want to manage in Russia then try Rubin Kazan - Rondon, M'Vila, Tore, Ermenenko - good core of players though no good youth prospects. They are minted but have a ba**ard of a debt - £20m - which has to be paid within 2 years! I may start a save of them actually.

Nation: MLS or Australia

Division: Think only one league (MLS league split)

European Competition:N/A

Media Prediction:Mid Table

Board Expectation(s):Low expectations

Transfer Budget:some

Wage Budget:some

Finances:safe/secure

Other:Any guidance welcome for a fun save

I need help picking a new team I have narrowed down the selection to the following clubs

BÍ/Bolungarvík- Iceland second division, reasons never manager in Iceland, plenty of games as have a league cup before season starts and have Nigel Quashie ex QPR tied to a contract till 2015, reasons against all clubs semi professional and i tend to prefer a nice July to May season.

1. SC Znojmo- Czech second divisions, have had a lot of fun saves in the Czech league, they have Marek Heinz on loan, predicted to finish bottom but reckon can make them a real force, reasons against want to try a different league.

NK HAŠK- Croatian second division, a team made up entirely of players in there early 20s and have a very promising centre back and striker to build a team around.

Rakovski 2011- Bulgarian second division- reasons for had a save few versions back with Botev Plovdiv who are a parent club to them so have numerous of there ex players on there books and several players on loan from them, again tipped for relegation but could happily finish in the top half.

Almere City- Dutch second division only reason really tipped to finish second from bottom but have the potential to do much better.

so as you can see 5 teams but I can only pick one who should I go for?

I can highly recommend the Russian league. Just finished my first season with Zenit and it was a titanic battle between me, Anzhi, Spartak, CSKA and Rubin for the championship. I was 2 points ahead of Anzhi going into the penultimate game away against....... Anzhi! Luckilly I won it and won the league before the final game as the other teams slipped up too. Succeeding in Europe is the big challenge though. I got knocked out of the CL in a group containing Dortmund, Chelsea and Galatasaray, finished 3rd and went into the Europa where I got as far as the Quarter Finals after beating Hapoel Tel Aviv, Athletic (with Llorente and the rest) but got beat on away goals against Schalke.

I need help picking a new team I have narrowed down the selection to the following clubs

BÍ/Bolungarvík- Iceland second division, reasons never manager in Iceland, plenty of games as have a league cup before season starts and have Nigel Quashie ex QPR tied to a contract till 2015, reasons against all clubs semi professional and i tend to prefer a nice July to May season.

1. SC Znojmo- Czech second divisions, have had a lot of fun saves in the Czech league, they have Marek Heinz on loan, predicted to finish bottom but reckon can make them a real force, reasons against want to try a different league.

NK HAŠK- Croatian second division, a team made up entirely of players in there early 20s and have a very promising centre back and striker to build a team around.

Rakovski 2011- Bulgarian second division- reasons for had a save few versions back with Botev Plovdiv who are a parent club to them so have numerous of there ex players on there books and several players on loan from them, again tipped for relegation but could happily finish in the top half.

Almere City- Dutch second division only reason really tipped to finish second from bottom but have the potential to do much better.

so as you can see 5 teams but I can only pick one who should I go for?

If it was me choosing I'd be tempted to go for Almere - Should you be successful, you'll still be competing with 3 or four teams for the title. For me, the other leagues could be dominated after a while which could get boring.

I recently started a game as Dynamo Kyiv after advice here and enjoyed it for half a season or so but didn't find it the challenge I was after. Ideally what I'd like is to start a game in a small European league with a mid table/Europa League level team and spend a few years building them up, gaining a good repuation and starting a career. I will have about 10 European leagues loaded and would like to think I'll progress through places like Holland or Portugal to top clubs in Germany, Spain or England - though I expect this take a long time. Challenge and patience are the key words here!

So, I'm thinking Norway or Switzerland at the moment, leaning towards Norway because of the quality young Scandinavians around. Ideally I'd like a club with decent youngsters and a little bit of money to mould the squad with.

Has anyone got experience there? I quite fancy Tromso or Stromsgodset.

Nation: mid-level European league (Switzerland/Norway maybe).

Division: Top

European Competition: Europa League (or top half finish last season)

Media Prediction: Top half/Europa qualification

Board Expectation(s): Realistic

Transfer Budget: Enough to bring in a handful of players to mould the team how I'd like them to play. Happy to buy cheap though.

Wage Budget: As above.

Finances: Good.

Other: Preferably a young squad and good chance of producing decent regens.

Tromso would be a great place to go (although I have no experience), judging by their talents.

In Switzerland there's Grasshopper Zurich who are traditionally known as the biggest club in Switzerland (in terms of silverware they are, at least) but haven't done anything for a few years now. Last year they finished 8th in their league so it'd be quite interesting building back up a team like Grasshopper before jumping to a bigger club, I guess. Unfortunately I've never played as them so I have no idea about finances, expectations etc.

I'd go for FC.Sion, they have a good squad and Gattusso! If not for a massive point deduction last season they'd be in Europe now. But Basel have the most money. Do not expect big budgets though.

Nation:Anywhere outside of England, Italy, Germany, Holland, France, Portugal, Russia, and Spain.

Division:1st

European Competition: Doesn't matter

Media Prediction:5-10

Transfer Budget: Doesn't Matter

Wage Budget: Doesn't Matter

Finances:rich would be nice, but it really doesn't matter

Other:I want to use a 3-5-2. So any teams who can fit that formation nicely would be a huge plus.

Newcastle, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs, Arsenal (either of the North London clubs can work, they're almost even-footing for 4/5th)

not got much of a clue about Italy in terms of youth systems unfortunately and no idea about Spain at all.

Newcastle, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs, Arsenal (either of the North London clubs can work, they're almost even-footing for 4/5th)

not got much of a clue about Italy in terms of youth systems unfortunately and no idea about Spain at all.

Thanks mate, doesn't even have to be a side with a good youth system that would be a bonus just a side with potential to really push on and challenge domestically in a few years

I would have suggested Red Star Belgrade but they might be in too low a reputation league for you. They have a quality stadium and a few top young players. Then the fact they haven't won the league in 5-6 seasons.

If you want to manage in Russia then try Rubin Kazan - Rondon, M'Vila, Tore, Ermenenko - good core of players though no good youth prospects. They are minted but have a ba**ard of a debt - £20m - which has to be paid within 2 years! I may start a save of them actually.

Actually, I've eyed up the Serbian league a couple of times. They have some quality players and some clubs with real history. I also like that they seem to be able to hang onto younger players a bit better than many smaller nations. Or at least leverage pretty big transfers when they leave.

I tried PSV for a bit and have gone back to Russia for Lokomotiv. Liking them so far but I may try Rubin at some point. Thanks.

I can highly recommend the Russian league. Just finished my first season with Zenit and it was a titanic battle between me, Anzhi, Spartak, CSKA and Rubin for the championship. I was 2 points ahead of Anzhi going into the penultimate game away against....... Anzhi! Luckilly I won it and won the league before the final game as the other teams slipped up too. Succeeding in Europe is the big challenge though. I got knocked out of the CL in a group containing Dortmund, Chelsea and Galatasaray, finished 3rd and went into the Europa where I got as far as the Quarter Finals after beating Hapoel Tel Aviv, Athletic (with Llorente and the rest) but got beat on away goals against Schalke.

Zenit have a tremendous squad for Russia but I can't get past the whole supporter issue that popped up there recently. But there is definitely something intriguing about managing in Russia. Hoping to do well with Lokomotiv.

Looking for a team with a bit of money to spend, but could do with a bit of a rebuild. Kind of want to stay away from the Premiership, but if something comes up that interests me I may go for it.

Both Milan clubs, very little money but they can do with a rebuilding job, Roma, maybe even Valencia or Malaga, some options out there

Everton have the task of trying to become bigger than Liverpool and they also have less funds and their team isn't as good to start with.

Newcastle on the other hand have a brilliant squad but little competition in terms of rivalries. They get plenty of money if you succeed too.

I'd say Everton is harder but has better longevity. Newcastle is still a lot of fun.

Looking for a team with a bit of money to spend, but could do with a bit of a rebuild. Kind of want to stay away from the Premiership, but if something comes up that interests me I may go for it.

Bayer Leverkusen

Nation: England preferably

Division: League One or lower

European Competition: n/a

Media Prediction: dont mind

Board Expectation(s): dont mind

I normally go top league, or sometimes one below, but have never really had a really succesfull game with a lower level team. Looking for a team with enough money to strengthen and a good youth system too. I'm not skilled enough in the lower leagues to take on too big of a challenge I dont think! Just a decent wedge of money and some good youngsters for a platform to build on would be perfect. Possibly a fallen giant style team.

You'll struggle to find a club with a decent wedge of money and good youngsters to start off with. Money wise, Bournemouth are one of the biggest wage spenders but what they have available in their budget to spend, I don't know. They do have a large squad though. Barnet are a good save, I had a good save on FM12 with them and whilst things have changed slightly, the same principles are there in that they don't have alot to spend, but often produce players that can go onto play for the first team. You'll probably lose Davids if you choose Barnet though. Rotherham could be a good shout in League 2. Not sure what they have to spend but they have some good players. Other teams in League One could be Brentford, Coventry for youngsters.

On the previous patch, Mansfield Town has £250k in transfer money and a little to spend in wages. Not sure whether that's been changed since the new patch but it might be worth checking it out.

I'm going through a severe FM slump at the moment and I haven't really got into a game since the new database was released. I'm looking for an interesting team to manage, with a long term goal. I don't mind whether they are a fallen giant or a team that has never won a trophy but just looking for a long term aim.

Nation: England, Germany, holland, Italy, Spain, Scotland

Division: Don't mind really

Media Prediction: Depends on the challenge

Board expectations: preferably none, but not too bothered

Transfer Budget: Not too fussed

Wage Budget: See above

Finances: Don't mind really but not masses of debt

I would highly recommend Eintracht Frankfurt in Germany, they have a big stadium, little or no debt, some great youngsters and good youth facilities, predicted for mid table anonymity, it is possible to gain european qual first season if play smartly....honestly should be a fun game, i'm on my second season and really enjoying the game

You'll struggle to find a club with a decent wedge of money and good youngsters to start off with. Money wise, Bournemouth are one of the biggest wage spenders but what they have available in their budget to spend, I don't know. They do have a large squad though. Barnet are a good save, I had a good save on FM12 with them and whilst things have changed slightly, the same principles are there in that they don't have alot to spend, but often produce players that can go onto play for the first team. You'll probably lose Davids if you choose Barnet though. Rotherham could be a good shout in League 2. Not sure what they have to spend but they have some good players. Other teams in League One could be Brentford, Coventry for youngsters.

On the previous patch, Mansfield Town has £250k in transfer money and a little to spend in wages. Not sure whether that's been changed since the new patch but it might be worth checking it out.

Agree with most of that NF.

I had a Bournemouth game on the current update. They do have a good squad but only £90k transfer kitty if memory serves me right. Preston and Crewe had something like £300k before the update, which I think were the biggest in L1 at the time, but finances at Preston were not great.

In L2, Rotherham and Gillingham did have the biggest budgets originally, and when I was at Gillingham they had a lot of sell-on clauses to cash in (I began with £700k in L2). This was pre-update so not sure if that still applies. I would imagine the Mansfield budget would be similar to £250k still because nothing seems to have happened IRL that would drop it.

Martin, if you do go for a lower league team you may struggle with a back 4, the new update seems to work much better with 3 x CB and wing-back's. Only after I did that was I able to get Bournemouth firing (climbing from relegation zone to win L1). I did find them enjoyable if that helps.

Looking for a solid team outside top ten of premiership or championship that have potential to be built into a force. Not fussed about budgets or anything like that.

Southampton. Decent money. Great youth development.

I'd suggest Stoke. They have a decent spine of players to begin with along with a fair amount of dead wood you can move on to generate transfer funds. I'm just coming to the end of my 5th season with them and over the years have won FA Cup, League Cup, Europa League, Super Cup and have just clinched my first title - hugely enjoyable.

Archived