[FM13] Paris Saint-Germain F.C

MrSundlofer

I'm hoping signing someone like Benzema, Nasri or Lloris will cover the "High Profile Signings" mantra they tag on.

Gary_Parker you should definetly come back to Paris and implent how you want to run things. Actually I'm kinda hoping if I play this save for long enough ill get a board takeover and revert back to normality.

Jogo - I thought Aubameyang would be pushing it in terms of nationality that's why I also didn't mention another of my prospects Aboubakar from Valenciennes. Being from Glasgow I unfortunately have witnessed just how good Wanyama is and he seems to have been given a boost in the recent patch so for a nominal fee he seems like a great signing.

If you don't mind me asking how are you lining up?

I've set up 3 tactics to get the team gelled to, they are :

451/433 depending on the opposition.

4231 with wingers/inside forwards.

And I'm torn between a basic 442 or trying a 352 variant..

EDIT : Rabiot is big project for me, I'm hoping I can use Cabaye to tutor him to eventually step in and replace him.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good stuff Hoarau.

I used the same tactic and formation throughout, bar the slight amendment when I used Menez a couple of times instead of Gameiro. I even signed players to fit the system, hence not having bothered to buy any wingers or wide players. We do have Bahebeck returning from loan for season 2 in case I ever change the style (him and Menez could do the roles).

I don't know how to do images sorry, but the set-up for me is the same as I posted earlier:

3 x cb - all on defend

2 x wb - both on support

2 x cm - left as dlp support, right as cm defend

1 x am - centrally as am on support

2 x st - tm support on left, af attack on right

The only quirky thing I did was put Menez as an advanced right winger when Gameiro was unavailable once or twice (instead of the second right-sided striker).

So i've started a game with PSG. Cannot upload pictures to Steam at the moment for some reason but i'll outline my transfer dealings so far.

In.

Raphael Varane - £19m

Kurt Zouma - £15m + Sylvain Armand

Neal Maupay - £1.3m comp

Maxime Gonalons - £6.5m

Morgan Schniederlin - £7.5m

Lucas Digne - £5m + £2.5m over 50 appearances

Sebastian Corchia - £7.5m + £2.5m over 50 appearances

Clement Grenier - £7.5m

Out

Marco Verratti - Loan

Zoumana Camara - £1m

Thiago Motta - £4m

Alphonse Areola - Loan

Siaka Tiene - £2.2m

Sylvain Armand - P/ex

Going for a 3-2-3-1-1 formation, which once Steam is up i'll post. The likes of Beckham will stay for this season and tutor my youngsters for better personalities.

I'm very intrigued with your set up Gary_Parker, is be interested to hear and see more.

Great signings, did you offer Madrid the £19.5m straight away? I've actually scouted Schniederlin with great interest, you've had experience I take it? Gonalans is someone I've had on previous PSG saves, how's he this time round? There's another CM who names escapes me from Lorient who looks very handy, ill get his name once I'm home and share.

Great start though.

Finnaly this thread become active. Are you guys looking to build a team around home-grown players?

Hopefully it can stay active.

I'm not planning on having my side home grown exclusive' date=' I want a certain type of player be it French or foreign. I'd like to have a couple of Parisian youngsters like Rabiot, Ongenda & Bahbeck amongst others. I think both [b']Jogo[/b] & Gary_Parker are aiming for all-French domination but they better explain it themselves.

Reading your guys posts has got me to make a PSG save, I always thought it'd be far too easy with all the money but its actually a real interesting challenge trying to keep the core of the team French!

So far I've brought in Etienne Capoue, Eliaquim Mangala, Christian Maldini, Zakaria Bakkali and Tristan Berghuis, and I'm finalising deals for Kurt Zouma, Maxime Gonalons and Raphael Varane, exciting times ahead!

Edit- I've gone a bit mental with my spending and also signed Strootman as he was transfer listed for 9m and Cristian Tello from Barca as he only had a 8.75m release clause!

Eliaquim Mangala's gone straight back off on loan to Real Sociedad and Veratti's been loaned out to Fiorentina due to my influx of midfielders, I'm also getting Jetro Willems so will sell Tiene

It's good to see more residents of Paris and it's good to see the different approaches. Mine is quite radical (French only) but I like to add self-imposed challenge conditions. You guys are signing some good players too and have positive ideas to implement so it's refreshing.

I'm about to start season 2, and had a light summer with 1-1 draws against FC Dallas & New York Red Bulls being my only activity. I thought this may backfire on me but we eased past Lyon 2-1 in the French Champions Trophy (season opener) and even Gaetan Charbonnier scored! Better still, Giroud will be back from injury soon, as will Moussa Sissoko and Matuidi.

I didn't make any more signings yet. Madrid are accepting £65m for Benzema but he still wants £300k p/w and I am not willing to pay that. Lyon are being difficult on Gomis. He is listed by request, wants to leave, wants to perform well to impress me and says he dreams of playing for PSG. However every time we get close to a fee, they keep raising their valuation (fluctuates from £16m to 23.5m) and on the occasion we agreed a fee, his agent wanted to shatter my wage structure so a deal wasn't struck. The fact that his relationship opinion of me has been 'contempt' since early summer, with a willingness to negotiate rating of 2, means this one may never happen. I tested QPR over Loic Remy just in case, and they would accept £10m for him (although his agent didn't want to tolerate my maximum wage of £69k p/w either).

Maxime Gonalons and Morgan Schneiderlin were also approached, but I wasn't desparate enough to continue talks once the refused offers exceeded £10m. Instead I have just promoted Bodmer to the first team squad after his loan return, because I feel he will be content to serve as a squad player.

Best of luck to you all for the season ahead!

I must say its great reading all the different approaches, very inspiring. Hope the leek of interested and interaction continues.

Ill hopefully get some more game time tomorrow and be able to post an update with some screenshots.

So, here is the formation.

F2999B6EA8040C1343DC9BD1264BA2DD81589C58

That looks very interesting, i like the 3 at the back systems. Will you be looking to bring in actual wide men? Or will you be looking at better wing backs incase you want to drop them back?

Jogo Bonito - If your still looking for a French frontman have a look at Alexandre Lacazette? I got a very promising scout report and he looks like hes got bags of potential with room to improve, but i really think he could step in straight away.

Also gents, have a scout of FC Lorient midfielder, Enzo Reale. Looks great.

That looks very interesting, i like the 3 at the back systems. Will you be looking to bring in actual wide men? Or will you be looking at better wing backs incase you want to drop them back?

Jogo Bonito - If your still looking for a French frontman have a look at Alexandre Lacazette? I got a very promising scout report and he looks like hes got bags of potential with room to improve, but i really think he could step in straight away.

Also gents, have a scout of FC Lorient midfielder, Enzo Reale. Looks great.

My plan is for attacking wingbacks to play there. Press high up the pitch and defend from there. My back 3 will be mobile enough to cover behind them. I've got Digne on the left and Corchia on the right now. I do like Van Der Wiel though, awesome player. I'm trying to get a great season out of a lot of them and sell them for a good price. I've looked at Lacazette too, he's a really good player. I need a forward who can drop deep and influence the game too. I've had Menez play as a treq up front when Ibra has been injured but need someone more well rounded.

Anyway, in March, just had a poor batch of youth players but found some at other clubs I hope to poach.

League table looks like this....very happy so far

6AC062B8121C6B320DF3E6771F47BEF89F1F0549

Excellent stuff Gary - much better than my first season (I lost 4 in Ligue 1).

Hoarau, what's going wrong? On the new patch I have only had two teams (Bournemouth and PSG). Bournemouth started terribly despite a strong squad and were in the relegation places until I swtiched to a back three and ended up taking the title right at the death. At PSG I went with three at the back again, it seems to work much easier (although I was not the best team early on). Have you tried a 3-man defence? Has a 4-man defence worked well for you at any club on the latest update?

Season 2 has been strange for me, especially at home. First two home Ligue 1 games were 0-0, then a defeat. My first two away had been wins. I then drew at Barcelona in Europe, followed by a draw and another win away in the league. Next up we hammered Zenit 4-1 at home, before returning to league action with another home defeat, an away draw and another away win. After 4 home games - all against low rated opposition - we have scored one goal (two draws and two defeats) except the blitzing of Zenit. Away I have won four and drawn one (plus a draw at Camp Nou). I use the same tactics and formation in every game, home and away, as last season. It's odd but captivating - currently sat in 6th thanks to our form on the road.

Hoarau, what's going wrong? On the new patch I have only had two teams (Bournemouth and PSG). Bournemouth started terribly despite a strong squad and were in the relegation places until I swtiched to a back three and ended up taking the title right at the death. At PSG I went with three at the back again, it seems to work much easier (although I was not the best team early on). Have you tried a 3-man defence? Has a 4-man defence worked well for you at any club on the latest update?

Season 2 has been strange for me, especially at home. First two home Ligue 1 games were 0-0, then a defeat. My first two away had been wins. I then drew at Barcelona in Europe, followed by a draw and another win away in the league. Next up we hammered Zenit 4-1 at home, before returning to league action with another home defeat, an away draw and another away win. After 4 home games - all against low rated opposition - we have scored one goal (two draws and two defeats) except the blitzing of Zenit. Away I have won four and drawn one (plus a draw at Camp Nou). I use the same tactics and formation in every game, home and away, as last season. It's odd but captivating - currently sat in 6th thanks to our form on the road.

It was a hellish start in all honesty, it fell on me aswell to be totally truthful. There was a point at the beginning of the season where I was 17th for a run of games... It all resulted from me playing really poor tactics and then choping and changing tactics from game to game, intact I can admit to making the cardinal sin of panicking and changing tactics during games several times and of course this backfired. I was getting the dreaded "the managers job rests on the result of the next game" warning every match for a good while..

I'm currently just at the beginning of March '13 and I'm sitting 3rd, I'm on a about a 10/11 match unbeaten run thanks to two formations :

1) attacking 4-4-2 - I really struggle to score goals with any tactic before something clicked with this one, Its still no where near efficient enough but it's a work in progress. Most of my goals are coming from out wide oddly enough.

2) 4-4-2 staggered - this one I tend to use for tough away games and home games where I'm weary of the opposition. It has a player in each of the "holes" if you will, a DMC & AMC. This I think will be my most used formation and with some further tweaking and work next preseason(should I survive) then I may be onto a winner.

My signings have actually, despite my performance this season been very impressive. I added a couple of more players so ill run down the list again :

Yohan Cabaye - Been a great addition as I hoped he'd be, my staggered 4-4-2 has him sitting in the middle of the park as a DLP and he's starting to make his mark on games now running the show, including an outstanding performance in a 3-0 victory over Olympic Marseille.

Neal Maupay - I haven't managed to start him yet as I had hope to use to the season I've had but he's came on a handful of times and shown glimpses that tell me with more game time next season he'll be my talisman soon enough. Very excited about this young man.

Etienne Capoue - This was a signing I debated about due to me having 3 options scouted, Etienne - Chiek Tiote & Victor Wanyama. I wanted to bring in a physical midfielder to compliment Cabaye as I felt aside from Matuidi the CM slots where pretty light weight. After some serious comparisons Capoue's combined £13m release clause, his ability to cover at CB if needed and lastly his iformation screen lists him as a PSG supporter won me over. He's had a mixed bag of a start, sent off against his former club on his return there but then he has a few more goals to his name than I expected. He's coming on to a game now which I'm happy with, he also just got his France cap and scored for them.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang - This was my "Joker" transfer, complete disaster. Not because of the player no, no. I signed him as my joker but then realised I was unable to registrar him untill Januray! So he only played a couple of cup games for me untill I could register him. I'm glad to have got him, one of my favourite players to watch in Ligue 1 in real life so the fact he's had such a boost in the latest patch to show his great form was a no brainier. I buttered him up in the press enough that he handed in a transfer request and I got him for £15m, a resonable few for a league rivals best player. He's got as many goals as games so far so I see a good future for him at the Parc de Princes.

My only other dealing was agreeing to bring in David Ospina on a Bosman from Nice, great keeper to give competition to Sirigu, very happy with this business

So that's been my season so far, not what I had hoped for but starting to even out. It's made the first season a lot more exciting and immersive than I thought it would be which in a weird way I'm glad of. I have big plans or next season, ship a few names out and work on bringing in some in.

Ill need to get some screen shots up tonight so you guys can have a right laugh.

Jogo - that's the kind of form I was getting, although slightly worse of course. Is it starting to turn around? How about transfers did you do much business for season two?

Hoarau, it's good to see it is coming together. Maybe it's natural that it takes some time to gel? You and me both suffered that although mine was not so bad and I didn't deviate from my tactics or formation. That said, the pressure is high and my team was very dull in the first month or so, always defensively sound but not too attractive. I'm sure I heard some fans chanting 'zut alors' and 'sacrebleu' at the time, before they came to respect me and my methods.

Season 2, I am still in October 2013 - no more games played since my last post. I'm only a few points off top despite being 6th, and expect to challenge for the title again - and hopefully go a bit further in the Champions League too, although wont expect to be anywhere near winning it yet.

My summer transfer business was very limited with just Cabaye £14m, Corchia £10.75m, Sanogo (free) and Haidara (loan) joining. The latter 3 are just back-up's for now although Corchia will get a few games over the season. Haidara returned on loan again as I may well sign him next season (both Jallet and Mathieu will be 30 by then and will be released or revert to back-up duties). Benzema and Gomis deals didn't materialise and I decided to risk injury to Giroud or Gameiro - if it happens I will promote the likes of Charbonnier, Maupay, Sanogo and Ongenda.

If I knew how to do screenshots (simple advice welcome - I don't have photobucket, image shack or anything) I would happily put some up.

Your spot on Jogo, I think I panicked when things didn't go my way in the first few games, changed too many things...changed things again and this the heads went down and I lost the squad for a while. I'm just starting to see some good football and some confidence creep into the team.

How's Cabaye been for you? How you playing him?

Are you looking at anyone else after being rebuffed with Benzema?

I think there's a thread at the top of the forum about screenshots, I'm not a wiz at them but know the basics.

Best way to do screenshots i've found is to use Steam. I'll outline it as best I can from memory..

in FM press F12 on your keyboard and it'll take a picture (probably make a really odd sound too).

Once you've taken the screenshots you want, press Ctrl and Tab together to open up the steam dashboard.

Choose screenshots from there, its normally in the bottom left box on the page

Highlight all of your screenshots and select upload.

This will load them to the steamcommunity.com website which you can access using your normal steam login details.

From there go to your profile, find screenshots from there. If you click on each they'll open in a window of their own, right click on that and copy image URL

Paste the image URL into this website between tags of and

That should be it.

I don't normally like going clubs with plenty of money, but I haven't been a team like PSG for quite a while now, so have decided to have a save which I shall start up sometime later on tonight

Welcome aboard lfc7 and bon chance. I have NEVER been at a club like PSG, or even had half of their budget anywhere, anytime. Will you adopt any kind of 'philosophy' or just splash the cash?

ParisSaint-Germain_FixturesSchedule_zpsb0325ed9.png

Ligue1_OverviewStages_zpsaba8d761.png

ParisSaint-Germain_TacticsOverview_zps0d437c3b.png

Yay, first screen shots, done via a new photobucket account.

Mathieu is currently injured so Digne has moved up. Menez is also injured so Bodmer has taken his bench spot. I rotate my two international goalkeepers, and likewise with Capoue/Matuidi. Otherwise, it's a consistent approach I take.

Welcome aboard lfc7 and bon chance. I have NEVER been at a club like PSG, or even had half of their budget anywhere, anytime. Will you adopt any kind of 'philosophy' or just splash the cash?

Thanks for the welcome :) am not sure to be honest, don't think ill spend much first season unless there is a major weakness in the squad. As I haven't had a save where I spend crazy money in ages I may just go crazy, see how the game pans out :) Are you spending crazy ?

The only club I've ever gone crazy that's like PSG on any past FM's is Shakhtar Donetsk, loved having a save with them, but past FM's it hasn't had the same appeal so when I have a save in Ukraine its normally with the likes of Metalist, Dnipro etc now

Jogo Bonito, well done with the screenies. How does your wingback formation work for you? I prefer to use the wide players as wingers, using my outer defenders to close down space. Digne has really come on for me too, epic player.

Thanks Gary, I am pleased that I managed it, although the attempt to do so via Steam only ended with a red cross in a box when I put them on here. Anyway, photobucket seems fairly simple (luckily for me).

My WB system works well for me. My defensive record has been excellent since the start but the two WB's also offer my width and get forward alot. They are often putting the crosses in and really get involved in my build up. Having solid centre-back's helps because they're good enough to deal with most attacks. Stamina, crossing and pace are important for these WB's, in addition to having decent defensive stats. Also, Gameiro is my right-sided striker (AF) and he tends to use his pace to get in the channels, so also provides a few decent crosses. In terms of WB personnel, Digne and Corchia are both progressing well and I am comfortable that they will takeover from Jallet and Mathieu without any concerns.

I should add that I am an old-school (old mainly) manager that has never ventured away from 442 or very occasionally 4411. The latest update seemed to direct me to three at the back and wing back's for performance reasons, so I am enjoying a slightly different style to normal.

Poor domestic home form (in complete contrast to superb Champions League home form) and a suspension for Sissoko (AM) pushed me to try a new tactic for the Ligue 1 home clash with Bordeaux. My gamble of removing the AM and replacing him with a 3rd striker (first start for Maupay) against opponents who had held me 0-0 in the Cup (defeating me on penalties) was well rewarded with a 3-1 win - my first home league win of the campaign. Their late consolation by way of a penalty masked the gap between the sides.

The away form has been quite mediocre recently too, but I don't know if I am brave enough to adopt this as the new 'norm'. The injury to Maupay from this match was not serious and will only sideline him for 2-3 days.

ParisSaint-Germain_FixturesSchedule-2_zps4a1ecc7d.png

ParisSaint-Germain_TacticsOverview-3_zps9ee76d8c.png

Finally, a new striker deal is about to be completed, one month ahead of the winter window. I couldn't risk that Lyon would not offer a new contract so instead of a free transfer next summer, I made another move.

I tried everything possible to keep the wages down but this is the agent who has a relationship of 'hatred' with me and after £90k p/w was refused and the response went to orange I knew I had one final offer to make. I was surprised that he accepted £100k + hefty bonuses although that is £31k p/w above any of his colleagues (Cabaye on £69k p/w).

However, this is like a marquee signing and I am so far under my budget that I will take a hit on it. At one stage this season Lyon were after £49 million for him so I guess a fee of £6.25m isn't too bad. And I am finally hoping to get Maxwell & Lugano off the payroll soon, so the total wage bill won't change too much.

LawrenceHicks_NewsInbox_zpse9cd2720.png

Oh, that was a shock. On completing the deal I was able to register Gomis and give him his debut (from the bench) immediately in December. It must still be in the joker window? Anyway, I bottled it and went back to the previous tactics with my AM and two strikers but coasted to a 4-1 home win against Monaco (all my goals from inside the penalty area within the first 16 minutes). Gomis meanwhile 'earned' a rating of 5.8 after I rested Giroud at half time - I hope he will improve and justify my 18-month chase and massive outlay on him!

Finally, a new striker deal is about to be completed, one month ahead of the winter window. I couldn't risk that Lyon would not offer a new contract so instead of a free transfer next summer, I made another move.

I tried everything possible to keep the wages down but this is the agent who has a relationship of 'hatred' with me and after £90k p/w was refused and the response went to orange I knew I had one final offer to make. I was surprised that he accepted £100k + hefty bonuses although that is £31k p/w above any of his colleagues (Cabaye on £69k p/w).

However, this is like a marquee signing and I am so far under my budget that I will take a hit on it. At one stage this season Lyon were after £49 million for him so I guess a fee of £6.25m isn't too bad. And I am finally hoping to get Maxwell & Lugano off the payroll soon, so the total wage bill won't change too much.

LawrenceHicks_NewsInbox_zpse9cd2720.png

Oh, that was a shock. On completing the deal I was able to register Gomis and give him his debut (from the bench) immediately in December. It must still be in the joker window? Anyway, I bottled it and went back to the previous tactics with my AM and two strikers but coasted to a 4-1 home win against Monaco (all my goals from inside the penalty area within the first 16 minutes). Gomis meanwhile 'earned' a rating of 5.8 after I rested Giroud at half time - I hope he will improve and justify my 18-month chase and massive outlay on him!

Got yourself a bit of a bargain there eh? Nice going, I like Gomis but I think ill wait and try to get either/both of Lacezette and Beniza, both of whom I reckon will end up better than Gomis current ability. That aside he's a great immediate player and should up the quality you posses up front. Nice work man.

Any other French talents you have your eye on? I find your targets interesting due to them being very specific.

I finished my season....awful end, finished 5th. I've got screenies to post tomorrow evening didnt have time tonight...

Jogo, interesting change to your formation, however, with 3 up front, maybe changing Giroud to a DLF support would help with your attacking links. Also look to a ball playing defender in the centre, or maybe even a Libero/Sweeper?

Hoarau, unlucky at the end there. Hope next season goes a lot better

ShortSharpShock, welcome and good luck. Rabiot looks to have great potential. In season 2 here and he is in my reserves and doing well. He is also playing for France in U21 Euro qualifiers and U20 World Cup and I am just about to offer a new contract to ensure he stays long beyond 2015.

Gary, I was only brave enough to try that 3 striker formation once so far but you're almost certainly right about having the link between midfield and attack. I did use Giroud as TM on support thinking he would do that, but not sure if that was as effective as DLF would be. Excellent point you made about having a ball playing CB too and something that crossed my mind too. Despite the settings, in reality my CB do automatically play short passes to either WB. Would I be missing out on anything defensively if I do change that setting? I don't want them attempting anything dramatic when under pressure back there.

Hoarau, shame about your 5th place - how did the board and fans react? It will be interesting to see/hear what let you down and what worked well. I don't think you can go wrong with Benzia, but I felt I had enough youthful strikers there and didn't want to end up with too many all blocking each other. Lacazette also looks good but wasn't exactly what I was after at the time. Your targets should serve you well and I can see them both as being great long-term additions. I wonder, will the board decide to put in undersoil heating at £2 million for you like they did for me at that point? They also agreed a feeder club in Japan for a marketing boost, but I rejected them as all teams only had one player each, and they weren't even real.

My other targets at the moment are really from the same short list that I had before. I rarely scout or go in to the transfer centre because I feel that those players originally identified are the ones that would fit in to my ideas at PSG. Nothing has changed there, except that some of those 'second rate' strikers I was forced to look at (Gignac, Cisse etc) will no longer interest me. I don't plan on doing any more business until the end of the second season. At that point the likes of Bodmer, Mathieu, Jallet and Ciani will be over 30 and I will make a decision on them because I like players younger than that. I always set my contracts to expire at around 30 with the intention of moving them out, putting their understudies in to their position, and refreshing the squad with a back-up or ideally promoting our own youth (I don't use newgens or regens).

In terms of players, I am hoping to get Djibril Sidibe back as permanent RWB cover next season, and hopefully Haidara too for LWB support, if Newcastle sanction a full transfer. As long as I manage my GK rotation properly so that neither of my internationals want to leave, I am fine there. My midfield is going to be alright for a few more years, and unless Benzema becomes available on better terms, my striking pool should be set for some time too. If I allow Ciani to leave (great purchase by the way at £1.9 million - now valued at £3.8 million and rating 7.55 this season) I would be a CB short, but Teddy Mezague is very capable back there (superb value at £140k) and Capoue will probably begin to feature more at the back, especially if I go for a ball-playing type.

It was readily accepted that I sold off alot of the foreign imports in season 1 for values below what they should achieve, but I wanted to do most of my business in season 1 so that season 2 and 3 were fairly light. I am comfortable with the strategy because season 2 only needed Cabaye, three back-up's and now Gomis. Even with the latest signing, the net spend was only £9 million this season (or even less if I can shift on a few remaining foreign reserves). It is likely that season 3 will be even quieter on that front, with maybe just two supplementary wing-back's to come in, and a reduced wage bill (yes, looking at you Maxwell, Lugano and Momo Sissoko - the unregistered, unused, unwanted and unworthy wage sponges).

Anyway, for now I have some points to make up on runaway leaders Evian TG (yes!) so will update if and when I get a few more fixtures done.

Gary, I was only brave enough to try that 3 striker formation once so far but you're almost certainly right about having the link between midfield and attack. I did use Giroud as TM on support thinking he would do that, but not sure if that was as effective as DLF would be. Excellent point you made about having a ball playing CB too and something that crossed my mind too. Despite the settings, in reality my CB do automatically play short passes to either WB. Would I be missing out on anything defensively if I do change that setting? I don't want them attempting anything dramatic when under pressure back there.

You should see the same sort of thing. A ball playing defender could operate as your DM at times, coming forward and playing more searching passes. Your other two wide defenders would still play across the back and to the wingbacks.

A libero would move right into the hole and essentially become a very deep lying playmaker. Varane is the best at that I think, but even he would need a lot of work. Getting the right stats is essential, i've yet to get it working well.

Well this is the final league standing :

leaguejf.jpg

I also lost the French cup final 2-0 to Toulouse...bad times.

Ive started a clear out of people i was not impressed with, perhaps i didnt know how to use them best, regardless they didnt perform for me(who did though..). Once i've despatched the "deadwood" i'll have a solid look over my tactics as thats where i fell apart at several times during the season and i want to get it sorted and a solid focus going into preseason. If i can get my tactics into some sort of ogrinised state i'll then look into recruiting the right type of player i need/want for this PSG adventure.

Transfers Out :

Nicolas Douchez - AS Monaco - £2.4m

Ezequiel Lavezzi - Real Madrid - £17.75m

Maxwell, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, David Beckham, Zoumana Camara will all be moving on algon with possibly Marco Verratti depeding on the bids he attracts.

As for inwards as i say i'll be looking at my tactics in details before spending without focus, the already agreed deal to bring in David Ospina from Nice will only be followed by an absoulte steal in my eyes, a player i really like in real life and in FM so to see him avalible for such a fee was a no brainer.

Transfers In

Lucas Ocampos - AS Monaco - £4.2m

So a really important preseason ahead, i thought this save would be one of the easier ive had but it seems ive made it the most challenging and i must admit i'm loving it because of it. So i'll keep you up to date on my pre-season business if i'm not boring you guys.

Any suggestions or help would be well recieved.

Right finally starting my save and I think its going to be tougher than I imagined when I was presented with this message (SS below), plus there is a lot of expectation although am really looking forward to it :D

Think am going to go along the lines of buying some of the best French talent (young and old) and high profile signings like the club wants, I may just go with the squad as it in season 1 and only make a signing if any of my targets are likely to move, but we shall see

psg123456.png

Hoarau, not boring at all (but my updates might be - too long!). Are you still in pre-season and what's your plan for season 2 in terms of other players, formation and tactics? Happy to help on anything although certainly don't claim to be a guru!

Gary, thanks for advice on BP defender, I will consider giving that a go and let you know if I do and how it works.

lfc7, best of luck - any business done so far?

Edit: Hoarau, just seen and replied to your PM. Thanks alot :thup:

Hoarau, not boring at all (but my updates might be - too long!). Are you still in pre-season and what's your plan for season 2 in terms of other players, formation and tactics? Happy to help on anything although certainly don't claim to be a guru!

Gary, thanks for advice on BP defender, I will consider giving that a go and let you know if I do and how it works.

Not yet still sorting training and stuff out, wondering what tactic to go with ? may make a 4-4-2 diamond (no wingers) and a 4-3-2-1 (no wingers)

I was going to start a PSG game, but the thread wasn't overly active, and I love an active team thread :D

Since the we seem to be getting quite active now, I'm on my way to Gay Paris.

Welcome :)

Well I've began work on a 3 at the back formation. 3 CB, in the middle is a ball playing defender with two CB on defend duty. I thought I would be safer putting a DMC in front of them because I was gonna play with a four across the middle midfield so wanted som added security and a link between defense and midfield, this is where I'm struggling, which role to go with, was gonna go with either a DLP(D) or a DM(D)?

Up front I want a goal threat so was gonna go with a AF(A) & either a DLF(S) or Treq(S). I may set the tactic up twice but instead of a DMC have an AMC(alter the CM roles to cover perhaps?) so as to play some nice attacking play such as the board want. I'd like to have a back up tactic to utilise more often a structure involving my full backs but I'm unsure how to line that up with a balanced att/supp/def midfield.

Think ill keep it balanced and standard untill I get some stability in the side, perhaps go counter/control depending on the opposition.

The transfers side of things has taken a bit of an out of control turn, I held on for all of two weeks perhaps and once I started moving players out who had no future I ended up with a rather large kitty to rebuild with.

Aside from Douchez and Lavezzi leaving for good fees I released/sold the following to free up a lot of wages and dump my transfer funds from £131m(that was what the board gave me) to nigh on £165m..

Out :

David Beckham - Free

Zlatan Ibrahimovic - Arsenal - £13m

Maxwell - St Etienne - £2.8m

Alex - Schalke - £7.5m

This is where it gets rather out of hand and I plan to counter by moving a couple of other players on this summer and throughout the season.

In :

Yann M'Villa - Rubin - £15m(£10m upfront £5m after a certain amount of appearances)

Kurt Zouma- St Etienne - £23m(£5.5m up front, 7.5m after 10 internationals, £10m after 48mths)

Victor Wanyama - Celtic - £13m

Diako Fofana- Nice - £8m

Bernard - Atletico Minerio - £30m

Yeah so I spend a bit more than planned. I feel addition of French youngsters Fofana and espically Kurt Zouma, both of whom will spend the best days of their careers here at the Parc de Princes. Zouma will be vice captain to Sakho within the next few years, hopefully he can forge a fantastic partnership with Mamadou and someday Varane.

Was delighted to welcome M'Villa back to France and for what I would consider a reasonable steal what with age on his side and his obvious potential. Wanyama is a player I've been scouting since I started this save, very happy to have got him for a reasonable fee and again age is on his side and he has room to improve.

Last but not least is that HUGE outlay on 20 year Brazillian playmaker Bernard. I've managed him in brazil and I have complete confidence in his ability to step up. His club were playing hard ball so I buckled as I wanted to get him early enough to work on some things with his training. Some of you may be wondering what I'm thinking putting out that much for an unproven talent but he looks like he could become a Paris legend like compatriot Rai.

Ill put up some picks once I've done a bit more preseason.

Do you think 4 at the back was part of your problem? I am a traditional 442 guy but found in my first go on the new update that it didn't work, hence planning 3 x CB from the beginning here. It will be interesting to see if that improves things for you after that change. I see that you've already implemented Gary's suggestion to have a BP defender at the back, so you're one stage ahead of me there.

It sounds like your width will be from two wide midfielders (3142 or 3412) with DM or AM options being the difference in the two choices? Would that not leave you exposed a bit out wide when defending? I may have misunderstood, but if not there wouldn't appear to be much tackling to prevent crosses? As for the strikers, you seemed to score enough in season 1 - did you have anybody prolific? I guess it depends on who you have up there as to what roles and combinations work best, but AF(A) and DLF(S) would seem a decent combination. I would imagine that with a DLF you shouldn't need an AM - but were you planning to use Bernard in that role or somewhere else?

On your transfers, you have invested heavily there, but it's swings and roundabouts. I wish I had been able to offload Maxwell for anything like £2.8 million, Zlatan you got more for than me (but I saved on wages by moving him in season 1), and Zouma has cost you alot more than me by waiting a year (also he is fully established in my side from the early move). Agree that Zouma and Sakho should be a great long-term combination for you now. Who else will you use back there - maybe Capoue as BPD in the centre?

M'Vila is an excellent buy. I made an offer for him in season 1 but he wanted wages way over his current level of £69k, and despite his very low fee, I didn't follow up on it. At his age he should be superb for you for a long time. Bernard should give some good flair, and although I never managed him before, his in-game ability seems to match his real life (but to be confirmed) potential. I hope the £30m gamble pays off anyway! Wanyama is a good pick although you do seem to have a surplus of CM players now? Fofana is an interesting one (a bit like Djibril Sidibe for me), but has decent potential for development.

How big is your first team squad now? I'm using a core group of about 20 first team players, and using my youngsters from the Reserves if I need to look beyond that. I'm trying to achieve (1) controlled wage spend (2) limited transfer spend (3) youngster development and integration (4) content and valued group of players that will get enough game time.

Do you think 4 at the back was part of your problem? I am a traditional 442 guy but found in my first go on the new update that it didn't work, hence planning 3 x CB from the beginning here. It will be interesting to see if that improves things for you after that change. I see that you've already implemented Gary's suggestion to have a BP defender at the back, so you're one stage ahead of me there.

It sounds like your width will be from two wide midfielders (3142 or 3412) with DM or AM options being the difference in the two choices? Would that not leave you exposed a bit out wide when defending? I may have misunderstood, but if not there wouldn't appear to be much tackling to prevent crosses? As for the strikers, you seemed to score enough in season 1 - did you have anybody prolific? I guess it depends on who you have up there as to what roles and combinations work best, but AF(A) and DLF(S) would seem a decent combination. I would imagine that with a DLF you shouldn't need an AM - but were you planning to use Bernard in that role or somewhere else?

On your transfers, you have invested heavily there, but it's swings and roundabouts. I wish I had been able to offload Maxwell for anything like £2.8 million, Zlatan you got more for than me (but I saved on wages by moving him in season 1), and Zouma has cost you alot more than me by waiting a year (also he is fully established in my side from the early move). Agree that Zouma and Sakho should be a great long-term combination for you now. Who else will you use back there - maybe Capoue as BPD in the centre?

M'Vila is an excellent buy. I made an offer for him in season 1 but he wanted wages way over his current level of £69k, and despite his very low fee, I didn't follow up on it. At his age he should be superb for you for a long time. Bernard should give some good flair, and although I never managed him before, his in-game ability seems to match his real life (but to be confirmed) potential. I hope the £30m gamble pays off anyway! Wanyama is a good pick although you do seem to have a surplus of CM players now? Fofana is an interesting one (a bit like Djibril Sidibe for me), but has decent potential for development.

How big is your first team squad now? I'm using a core group of about 20 first team players, and using my youngsters from the Reserves if I need to look beyond that. I'm trying to achieve (1) controlled wage spend (2) limited transfer spend (3) youngster development and integration (4) content and valued group of players that will get enough game time.

These are things i've been debating, this is the basic starting shape of the two am working from, both are very similar and will need tweaked.

tactic1.jpg

tactic2.jpg

Now i completely agree with your observation about where is my defensive width going to come from, at first i considered using defensive wingers? Ultimitly i'm going to try and tweak the WB roles so they attack quite efficently but i need them to also help out at the back. Yeah Zouma has cost me a fair price but i think its not too bad and he's worth it as a long term investment. As for the CM's i've just moved Blaise Matudi on to Benfica for £9.5, he was really poor last season and he was in the lqast year of his contract, plus he was asking for a rather large raise which i wasnt willing to pay.

Fofana looks very promising and he was cheaper than Corchia, will take some work but with Jallet in front of him there is time and i'm very optimistic. Ha! Yeah gamble is the perfect word, i'm really hoping he takes to the league and settles in the side as his price tag may come back to haunt me but i'm quietly confident. these are my other targets but they are based on shipping out some more fringe players.

kiyotake.jpg

martial.jpg

kondogbia.jpg

I really like the look of Kondogbia, gonna let him stay where he is for a seaosn or two and see how he develops also i'll have to nove on Verratti to make space. Marital i'd like to cover Zouma, Sakho & eventually Varane but i'd also have to move on Thiago Silva. My squad is actually not too bad, probably a tad too big, but i have got a lot of reserves now included in my first team squad, Rabiot - Bahbeck - Ongenda - Maupay - Kebano -Landre. Hoping to give them some decent game time, cup & some European games, hopefully see some development.

Hows your save going? Did you sort the Maupay pic working?

Hoarau, I think I misunderstood a little anyway. As I thought you were suggesting 3 x CB, no WB, 4 x M, 1 x AM (or 1 x DM) and 2 x ST, that was why I felt your wide defending appeared to be exposed. I now see you planned on having WB and a staggered midfield, and WB can easily do the wide defending on their own if they have good stamina and pace to match high defensive attributes.

Formation 1 looks very scary to me! The wide defending mainly. Good luck with that! Formation 2 looks slightly more rounded, although I'm not sure your DM is needed if you have a BPD. There may be a gap between midfield and attack although I guess your CM(A) will do that. Maybe you can play 2 at the back and use 6 of your central midfielders? Just joking!

The price on Zouma won't be an issue, he will definitely be worth it. Matuidi has been a very good performer for me, rotating with Capoue for 1.5 seasons as CM(D). But if he hasn't done it for you I can see why you sold him on - you have plenty of options there, including M'Vila now. You also have lots of attacking midfielders, but no attacking wide positions in your formations. Are you going to use Bernard, Ocampos, Lucas Moura, Pastore etc all in the one possible AM role?

On squad balance, the other thing that caught my eye: who would you use when injury/fitness/suspension rules out Digne at LWB? You have at least three for the RWB role but seem limited on the other side - although Bourdin has good potential.

The players on your shopping list look OK. Kondogbia I took a look at in season 1 out of curiosity, but I don't need any wide midfielders. Do you? Martial again looks a decent option - but there are so many young, quality CB in French clubs that you could pick any of 20 and not go wrong. Kiyotake again looks OK but seems to add more numbers to those positions you are well/over-stocked in. I like the youngsters you are developing in your first team squad, a good number of them will be valuable assets.

I haven't progressed much so still only in January 2014 now. There will be no more transfers coming in for me and I'm still unable to offload the terrible trio Maxwell, Momo Sissoko and Lugano. Evian TG are still leading, with Lyon and PSG tucked in just 3 points behind them so I am confident in the title race. I qualified from the group stage in Europe but have drawn Chelsea (last season we were knocked out by Man City at that same stage).

lfc7, real life eh? Ha. But never mind, Rome (or Paris) wasn't built in a day.

Jogo - cheers for the input.

I've been working on getting a left back in, looking closely at Evra both for rotation and tutoring purposes. Yeah I have too many players for the midfield slots but I'm offloading Verratti and one or two others. Ocampos will play up top and perhaps on the right depending on my shape, same with Bernard he'll play wing left or off the front two.

I'm still unsure as to these formations but I'm spending some time in preseason going over them.

Seems your keeping things right with ins and outs, very admirable. Do you think your self imposed limitations is hindering you competing with the likes of Man City and the other European big boys?

Jogo - cheers for the input.

I've been working on getting a left back in, looking closely at Evra both for rotation and tutoring purposes. Yeah I have too many players for the midfield slots but I'm offloading Verratti and one or two others. Ocampos will play up top and perhaps on the right depending on my shape, same with Bernard he'll play wing left or off the front two.

I'm still unsure as to these formations but I'm spending some time in preseason going over them.

Seems your keeping things right with ins and outs, very admirable. Do you think your self imposed limitations is hindering you competing with the likes of Man City and the other European big boys?

You're welcome - they're just ideas and/or observations as it's trial and error for all of us. You're a work in progress but still might succeed before I do anyway. Gary has some good ideas on tactics etc so may be able to help when he pops back in here.

It's true, after a quite radical overhaul in Season 1, it's just little tweaks here and there for me. I'm still interested if a major signing becomes available that meets my philosophy (and wage structure), but right now I am more about working with what I have as I believe I possess the tools necessary to succeed and compete with those top clubs. My CL group indicated to me that we are progressing well (1-1 at Barca and 2-1 win at home in the return, plus 4-1 demolition of Zenit at home). Last season Man City only just edged us out in Europe, and the Chelsea games this time should be quite close, whatever the outcome.

As players like Jallet, Mathieu and Ciani hit their 30's, their long term replacements Corchia, Digne and Mezague are ready to be regulars. The squad places will then be filled by recruits 19-24 whether from our own pool or acquired from other clubs. It's evolution rather than revolution here.

Some good squads there gents.

Hoarau, both formations have quite a solid look to them, however, with your two defender, two wingback formation, you might need to look at a sweeper keeper or maybe change the DM to an Anchor Man to offer that extra cover. If i'm playing with actual wingbacks (not wingback roles in the fullback level) i'd always have 3 at the back. You could look at training Capoue to be a sweeper and use him as a Libero, he'll regularly come forward into the DM line and play passes around.

You have a very large squad, I'd love to see the end of season stats on games played there. Some great players/prospects though, well done. Ongenda looks like he could become an excellent deep lying forward with the right training. You should also consider pushing Yaisien into the first team, he becomes a really good player too.

Looks like am going to have to make a few signings as Sissoko and Bodmer are out on loan and with the formation am using (4-1-2-1-2 no wingers) I need another DMC, MC and a ST to rotate with Ibrahimovic who am playing as a CF Attack, any suggestions ? I do have a few players in mind just wondering what players you lads have signed

For DMC I've signed Etienne Capoue for his release fee £13M

For MC I've signed Yohan Cabaye, but had to pay £20M as Man U had a deal already agreed, I've also signed Koke for £13M as he can play in both DMC and MC and with Beckham and possibly Motta leaving next season can provide competition in both positions

Looks like am going to have to make a few signings as Sissoko and Bodmer are out on loan and with the formation am using (4-1-2-1-2 no wingers) I need another DMC, MC and a ST to rotate with Ibrahimovic who am playing as a CF Attack, any suggestions ? I do have a few players in mind just wondering what players you lads have signed

For DMC I've signed Etienne Capoue for his release fee £13M

For MC I've signed Yohan Cabaye, but had to pay £20M as Man U had a deal already agreed, I've also signed Koke for £13M as he can play in both DMC and MC and with Beckham and possibly Motta leaving next season can provide competition in both positions

I'd suggest Capoue, Cabaye & Koke ;)

Seriously, Capoue is a good choice as he can also cover at CB if required. Cabaye should do fine although the fee was a little high. Any other positions you're looking for? Still after another striker?

I'd suggest Capoue, Cabaye & Koke ;)

Seriously, Capoue is a good choice as he can also cover at CB if required. Cabaye should do fine although the fee was a little high. Any other positions you're looking for? Still after another striker?

I know didn't want to pay that for Cabaye but Man U were about to seal the deal so had no choice, I am going to leave it as it is with my two formations being 2 up top and 1 uptop, so if Ibrahimovic is out injured ill go to my other formation although I may buy a striker in Jan or next summer

Wont be on my save till tomorrow as spending time with the family then off to work for a 12 hr night shift

Mr. Layzee, I'm enjoying it but then I spend ages deciding which team to be before diving in. PSG is in contrast to any kind of game I usually go for, and I added my own philosophy and mission to make it more personally challenging. I'm slowly getting towards the business end in season 2, the league is still tight and whatever happens I'm looking forward immensely to season 3 already.

I can't speak for the other guys but they seem to be having fun with it. As you will have seen, winning Ligue 1 didn't happen for everybody in season 1, winning the Champions League is an even bigger challenge. If you want to make it harder, put some of your own self-imposed limitations in to it - I guess it depends on what you want, and how you want to achieve it.

The OP probably contains reasons for having a go and only you will know if this club can entice you in and keep your interest. An active thread like this may convince you?

ParisSaint-Germain_FixturesSchedule_zps552ef6c7.png

ParisSaint-Germain_TacticsOverview_zps3a3bd46c.png

Ligue1_OverviewStages_zps27649cb1.png

Recent form has been OK and we are now top although our rivals have a game in hand and the lead changes most weeks. The defence is standing up well, Digne and Corchia coming on nicely, and Gomis is slowly beginning to contribute. Maupay has been used a couple of times and had a fairly good game in the French Cup. Mathieu has been out for a few weeks but is ready to come back in to contention, Jallet has been out for 6 weeks and Cabaye suffered a 5-month inury which rules him out for the season. I just lost the 'Big Bucks Derby' against Monaco but luckily played OM next and the usual victory followed. Chelsea loom on the horizon.

Archived