FM13: Newcastle United - Alan Pardew and The Eight Year Plan.

tommonufc

Two shots on target, two goals. Efficient work! :thup:

How is Jores Okore coming along for you, possible screenshot :D? Excited to see how he does for me this coming season, going to be experimenting with a back three in pre-season so I can try and make use of Streete and Okore more often, and even Alex Kitchen.

Colo Coloccini is home-sick, and wants to leave the club - the big baby!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two shots on target, two goals. Efficient work! :thup:

How is Jores Okore coming along for you, possible screenshot :D? Excited to see how he does for me this coming season, going to be experimenting with a back three in pre-season so I can try and make use of Streete and Okore more often, and even Alex Kitchen.

Colo Coloccini is home-sick, and wants to leave the club - the big baby!

I was just glad we mustered two shots on target considering the selection problems :D

No complaints with Okore, he's performed brilliantly when called on. His technical attributes could do with some work, but I'm going to intensify his training workload next season, I reckon he's fit enough to cope.

joresokoreoverviewprofi.png

This is my main tactic i use with very good results including 2 wins again man utd and i also won the europa league using this tactic all the way through set to an attacking style of play. Any feedback would be great thanks

tacticsi.jpg

Just started a Newcastle save today

Transfers Out

Shola Ameobi - Udinese - 875K

Mike Williamson - Southampton - 3M

James Perch - Wigan - 3.8M

Sylvain Marveaux - Reading - 4.3M

Jonas Gutierrez - Fulham - 6.75M

Fabricio Coloccini - Arsenal - 8.75M

Gabriel Obertan - Tottenham - 2.2M

Danny Simpsom - Reading - 3M

Xisco - Huddersfield - 1.7M

Steve Harper - West Brom - 85K

Haris Vuckic - Leeds - Loan

I didn't include all the youngsters I sent out on loan.

I have to pay Xisco like 25K/week till the end of the season but I still imagine me putting him into a wheelbarrow and delivering him to the Huddersfield training ground personally. Total waste of space.

Coloccini was just to old and to well paid for me. (I'm not a Newcastle fan)

Transfers In

Jones Okore - CB - FC Nordsjælland - 1.3M

Ademilson - ST - Sao Paulo - 5.25M

Wellington Nem - AMC - Fluminense - 3.6M

Fernando - CM - Gremio - 6.25M

(I bought these 4 players by paying their buyout clauses over 4 years)

Jeremy Berthod - LB - Free

Sean Murray - AMR - Watford - 8.75M

Danny Wilson - CB - Liverpool - 3.5M

Vico Fede - AML - Grenada - 4.3M

Davide Astori - CB - Cagliari - 10.25M

Vincenzo Grella - MC - Free

Adam Maher - AMC - AZ Alkmaar - 20M

Astori and Wilson were signed because I like playing left footed CBs in my LCB slot and because Astori is awesome. Adam Maher was rated 4.5 stars by my scouts and his determination (16) pointed to a rather rapid development, so I loaned Vuckic out and brought him in (5M are due after 40 league appearances). I actually wanted to sign Gino Peruzzi for my right back position but he failed to get a work permit and I had to move Anita to RB which is why I signed Grella as midfield cover. I play with 2 inside forwards on the wings and Vico Fede and Sean Murray were the only two half decent ones I found for a reasonable price. I also gave Ba a new contract with a release clause of 35M and 70K/week.

Current formation:

nftact.png

Looks good so far, but I'm only two games into pre season.

My main concerns right now are my wage structure which is waaaay off, with Krul earning less than some of my rotation players but I hope I can adress that next season. I'm also worried about the amount of homegrown players for my Europa League squad, so I have set down James Ward-Prowse (MC/AMC) as long term transfer targets for myself and want to bring Campbell and Shane Ferguson into the first team next season (both are loaned out to get some first team experience under their belts).

a little tip for bringing adam campbell through i signed rivaldo on a free transfer and trained campbell with him i let him go at the end of the first season but campbell now has 17 for determination anita had a great first season for me at right back and even popped up with a couple of goals but ive brought in kyle walker for the second season for RB and anita can partner tiote in DM and papadopolous is about ready to take over colo at CB but i will be rotating these 2 for the second season and maybe look to offer colo a coaching role the season after

Man, went 2-0 down away to Shaktar and came back to win 3-2 on aggregate keeping an awesome clean sheet at home. Then beat Fenebache 6-2 on aggregate so in Europe I'm doing great, but in the EPL I've had a run of game without winning. I still sit 5th but its all going dull there. Have my whole team back now though so we can hopefully crack on.

Cisse is at 19 goals with another 10 games in the EPL left and whatever else I manage in Europa.

Firstly, what a fantastically detailed OP tommonufc! :thup:

Just started a save with Newcastle and currently still on day one sorting out training and tutors.

My transfer targets include two new centre backs, possibly three should I cash in on Colo as well as a full back and a new non-African striker.

Other aims will be to introduce a wage cap whilst adding young quality to the squad to ensure an ever decreasing average age and potential resale value.

Will update again once the transfer window shuts, most likely a few days yet.

Newcastle United Season Review 2012/13.

Premier League Table.

We had a excellent Premier League campaign in my first year in charge of the club and finished in 2nd place behind champions Manchester City only on goal difference. I am a bit gutted not to of won the league after coming to close but hopefully it will motivate us next season to go one better.

nufcpremierleaguetable2.jpg

In The Cups.

We won the Europa League this season to end the long trophy drought at St. James' Park. We had to do it the hard way beating the likes of Lyon, Atletico Madrid and Machester City on the way to the final were we beat Germans Bayer Leverkusen at the Amsterdam ArenA.

nufceuropaleaguefixture.jpg

In the FA cup and League cup we got knocked early after fielding a team of youngsters and reserves. We got beat off Fulham 3-1 in the 3rd round of the League cup and we embarrasingly lost 2-0 to Colchester United in the 3rd round of the FA cup.

The Squad.

The best players in our squad this season were Steven Caulker, Papiss Demba Cisse and Hatem Ben Arfa.

At the start of the season we played a 4-5-1 formation which I wasn't really happy with so after signing so many AMC players I decided to make a 4-2-3-1 narrow formation which is something I have never played with before.

nufcsquadendofseasonone.jpg

Liverpool have just offered me £28m for Demba Ba, as much as I love him, he is on his way to Anfield now. Andy Carroll is transfer listed for £4.5m so I might bring him back home to Tyneside.

@DBurns Thanks :) Look forward to hearing more - got to say, this current Newcastle side has been cracking for tutors! Perch, Taylor, Colo, Tiote, Cabaye, Krul, even Hatem!

@col_nufc1 Great season there :thup: That's a cracking price for Ba too! Andy Carroll was pretty decent for me, seems to be a beast of a target man on this years game. Unfortunately he's not really fitting into where I'm going with my side at the moment (not to sound too Brendan about it).. so just moved him on, think my DOF sold him to QPR for around £3.8M, so a £200k loss on the price I brought him. Payed him some extortionate wages in my eagerness to bring him to Newcastle, £90K weekly wage.

You don't need to really cash in on Tiote, especially from day one. If your looking to sell him, you will get a much better price when teams are sniffing around for him after a good first season. Looked at Wanyama at the start of the game, but was a while ago, so forgotton what he looks like, and how he compares to Tiote - but my advice would be keep hold of Tiote for time being. He's an important player within your first XI, but is also very, very useful in terms of developing others - I've had him tutor many players, which has helped them develop no end - and possibly even Wanyama if your bring him down south. Newcastle were linked with him last January and in the summer, before tonight, which has probably added an extra £5M on his value.

Jonas is probably expendable - have a look through the thread, quite a few people have sold him - my tip would be too offer him out at what you would like to get with an extra £5M on top, and work your way down until you gain interest and get a deal.

Regarding Tiote, if I was to sell him at the moment (Aug. 2014) I'd easily bag £25M +, but I wouldn't sell him unless I got anything like north of that figure and Yann M'Villa came back on the market at Rennes.

We're in the Final of the Europa League against Zenit! Beat Tottenham 3-2 on aggregate, but that only tells part of the story. 2-0 win at home then went to White Hart Lane to finish the job and wound up 2-0 down at 90 minutes - Extra time with ten minutes to go Nem feeds Ba and he slots it in, leaving Tottenham 10 minutes to score twice (Away goals :D)

Except Isco is now banned for the final thanks to a yellow card, and all my other players are completely knackered. That, and I have to play Tottenham again 3 days later at home in the League - if I beat them or draw City win the League (which suits me, being a City fan!) and then have to play Liverpool and Sunderland. Last game of the season is a massive derby, huge! Fighting for 4th place with Chelsea at the moment.

Edit - What the hell, come on, Fixture list - The Europa League Final is between Liverpool and Sunderland?! Come on! The most I have to rest in the last 4 games is 6 days between Tottenham and Liverpool.

FFFFFF

Edit - Isco's Morale was Poor, just made it Fairly Good by talking to him for a bit :D Love and hate this game all at once!

After the final day heroics from Cheick 'Josimar' Tiote and Jores 'Shearer near post header' Okore, I thought I'd give a quick update on what it meant in terms of the league season and how the squad performed.

The Final League Table

englishpremierdivisionoj.png

The Squad

newcastleunitedsquadpla.png

A fantastic end to the season, though we got a massive slice of luck with Man City dropping the ball a little due to their barn storming Champions League run ( who said this game was true to life again? :p). Some pretty positive form from most of the players and but for the ACoN and that late suspension Papiss Cisse would most likely have finished as the league's top scorer. As it was he was pipped by Sergio Aguero and RVP. He did make it into the Team of the Year along with Hatem Ben Arfa and Davide Santon.

I'm not expecting to retain the title next year as Man City and Man Utd have already started splashing the cash this summer. City managing to scupper one of my potential deals by triggering Antoine Griezmann's release clause and offering him silly money to sign, while Man Utd look set to sign M'Vila to bolster their midfield. Another possible target Andre Schurrle has been transfer listed, but Bayern Munich have pounced there so I doubt we'll have much chance of persuading him to leave Germany.

I'm looking to move on a few of the older fringe players to free up squad space for youngsters who were out on loan this season just past. Have my DoF trying to find deals for Ryan Taylor, Dan Gosling, Mike Williamson and Perchinho. I may also cash in on one or two of the more key players if we get silly bids and their contract demands are too rich for my taste, but no concrete plans to move any of them on just yet.

Getting ready to start my Newcastle save and I was thinking about cashing in on Tiote and Guiterrez and purging Ligue 1 of their mass of talent. I'm thinking of Wanyama to replace Tiote though. What kinda prices are you guys getting for Tiote and Guiterrez?

What Tommo said pretty much :D

Jonas is probably the most expendable option. I didn't use him much on my beta save due to the form of Marveaux, but on this current save Jonas has actually been excellent for me and I'm loathe to sell him now.

Very impressive league campaign, very impressive! Got to say I had to google Josimar, hell of a strike :p

Just had a look at Wanyama, he moved to Benfica first season, but would have developed a bit better I think under human control. Seems the match engine dosen't tend to favor the 'Makelele's' of this world too highly still, and a player really has to tear the opposing midfield apart for them to get a decent rating, unless your side win 6-0 or something like that - so the likes of Tiote and Wanayama if played right still won't pick up any man of the matches.

Tiote's key stats that make him top draw are his high anticipation, positioning, as well as aggression and strength coupling together with his tackling. Meaning he's going to be near enough always in the right position to intercept and put in the reducers on opposing forwards. Wanyama is quite some way off in some of his mental stats despite the fact he has age on Tiote - he'll turn into a very good player, but I'd say Tiote could be classed as world-class in the category of player he is.

8165518289_a0fb58aa56_b.jpg

Very impressive league campaign, very impressive! Got to say I had to google Josimar, hell of a strike :p

Just had a look at Wanyama, he moved to Benfica first season, but would have developed a bit better I think under human control. Seems the match engine dosen't tend to favor the 'Makelele's' of this world too highly still, and a player really has to tear the opposing midfield apart for them to get a decent rating, unless your side win 6-0 or something like that - so the likes of Tiote and Wanayama if played right still won't pick up any man of the matches.

Tiote's key stats that make him top draw are his high anticipation, positioning, as well as aggression and strength coupling together with his strength.

86 World Cup...still one of my fave years along with 82 (even if Mr Narey did make the Brazilians angry with his toe poke :lol:)

At least the match engine seems to be giving your defenders better ratings this year for actually defending....not scoring 15-20 goals direct from corners

@DBurns Thanks :) Look forward to hearing more - got to say, this current Newcastle side has been cracking for tutors! Perch, Taylor, Colo, Tiote, Cabaye, Krul, even Hatem!

That's always good to hear! :thup Made a few additions to the squad along with a potentially controversial sale of a key player!

Fantastic seasons from DandyDon and col_nufc1!

Ffs, finished ****ing 6th in the league and drew my last game to Sunderland when a win would have put me ****ing 4th on goal difference. Two strikers, overload, fullbacks supporting, Take More Risks, Get ball forward, Pump Ball Into Box and got nothing for it. Useless. We did win the Europa but the Champions League was so close :/

86 World Cup...still one of my fave years along with 82 (even if Mr Narey did make the Brazilians angry with his toe poke :lol:)

At least the match engine seems to be giving your defenders better ratings this year for actually defending....not scoring 15-20 goals direct from corners

All this is waaay beyond my time - can just about remember Colin Hendry being in my France 98' sticker book! :p

Ffs, finished ****ing 6th in the league and drew my last game to Sunderland when a win would have put me ****ing 4th on goal difference. Two strikers, overload, fullbacks supporting, Take More Risks, Get ball forward, Pump Ball Into Box and got nothing for it. Useless. We did win the Europa but the Champions League was so close :/

Ouch...frustrating way to miss out. Congrats on the Europa Cup though :thup:

Aaaaand due to missing out on the CL I can't get Gotze interested - he wants to go to Chelsea, which is annoying because I can get 28mil for Ben Arfa right now straight up, off - guess who - Chelsea.

Tempted to shore up my defence and use Nem on the right wing more though. That way I can actually get some scouts and backroom staff too.

On top of this, if I sell Ben Arfa to Chelsea they likely won't buy Gotze, then I can steal him at the end of next season... I hope

Finally managed to get one of my main transfer targets signed...no thanks to my DoF....without Chelsea, Man City or Bayern Munich mucking things up for me.

jankirchhoffoverviewpro.png

Eventually had to pay £15.5 million to activate this lads release clause as his club Mainz kept moving the goalposts during negotiations. I didn't want to pay quite that much as it means I'll definitely have to sell a couple more players before I make any other signings, but I was very tempted by the combination of height, strength and great pace this lad has for a defender.

Ooh hes good - just got him and Inigo Martinez, both central defenders. Got Kirchoff for 9.25mil but Martinez was *expensive* at over 20 million. That said, I'm just selling Steven Taylor for 15million lump sum to United, Cisse has gone for 28 mil and Ben Arfa for another 28 mil.

Trying to thin out the Africans a bit, its not that I'm racist, its that the ACON is ridiculous - once a year and right in the middle of the season? Lol.

Jovetic and Ba can hold the line, I'll move Andre Ayew to the left wing and try and find a dedicated right winger - any recommendations? Would have been Gotze but sadface :(

My new Director of Football - the Italian that looks to be part of the Cosa Nostra - has been after Kirchoff, as well as a number of other players I haven't gone through with.

8165750698_0ce9d28451_b.jpg

Here's my transfers ahead of the coming 3rd season - think I'm done for now, although will be moving Adryan to Ipswich if I can once he's recovered from injury.

8165719571_1bde7e2d47_b.jpg

Edit; Experimenting with a 3 at the back at the moment in pre-season - seeing promising signs, a mixed XI beat Dunfermline 4-1, finishing with 60% something possession and peppering 32 shots on goal!

A first XI would look something like this, very attacking! Played with wide midfielders, who are pretty attacking, but have great workrate to cover.

abDGsQ1acs.jpg

I have to stop spending money.

That said I just got Inigo Martinez, Kirchoff, Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Yann M'Vila, a regen kid who looks awesome and Henrique - United's youngster striker on loan :)

So now I have lots of flexibility, but I did sell Cisse, Ben Arfa and Krul - I bet you Newcastle fans are wincing at the idea of those three going! Haha

I'm having a difficult bedding in period, 4 opening games of the season and I've drawn them all aswell as going out of the Europa League due to a 1-1 draw in the 2nd leg.

Trying to not mess around with the tactics every game so I don't confuse the players, I think it's probably more to do with player roles as I've just set Nick Helenius as a target man next to Cisse and Hess really made a stamp on the games, at 6"5 you'd hope so!

Cabaye is the one I'm getting least out of, I've tried DLP & AP to make use of his craftiness but alas to no avail.

Loving the challenge though, Tiote's my boy... Mr T!

Not had any big movements in the transfer window or?

When I took control I changed a good few players but I stuck their training on Very High and Team Cohesion, the start of my 12/13 season was amazing - Christmas time and beyond it went to total **** when I lost 4 Africans (Tiote, Ayew, Cisse, Ba) who were all key players!

Jan 2014 for me and a great start is proving difficult to sustain. Won the league and EURO cup in my first season

2012league.jpg

I lost Ba to his release clause early but Moussa Sow proved a decent replacement. Brazilian wonderkid Ademilson has really come through for me and played pretty much all the EURO cup games with Shola alongside as target man. Iñigo Martinez was signed as a replacement for Williamson and has done OK but not spectacularly. Anita has been principle RB as I sold Simpson ASAP.

But now (Jan 2014) I'm 5th in the league, 19 points behing leaders Man City and obviously out of the race. 3rd is the best I can hope for. Lost Super Cup, lost Community Shield, out of CL at group stages, out of Capital One Cup and just scraped past Wolves in the FA, it's not looking amazing.

Second season signings have been largely letdowns, despite the fact that they all received good reports from top scouts. Jay Spearing was signed as midfield cover but doesn't look up to scratch. Younès Belhanda however looks like a smashing signing and lets me rotate Cabaye or have options in AM/RW. Nathaniel Clyne is a versatile fullback who provides competition and rotation options but Isco, who cost €20M and is on 90k a week, just isn't living up to the price tag despite some excellent stats. Paul Pogba looks tidy at €6.7M from Juventus but it's still early days.

I'm toying with the idea of starting again but it's taken me SO much work to build up my scouting network...

4 goals 8 assists for me in the league this year, 7.2 rating, playing mainly as a creative inside forward from the left wing. No grief either; he seems easy to keep happy. Maybe I'm being harsh but I just hoped for a little bit more from a blue-chip player in terms of impact -- he tends to go missing in big games whereas Ben Arfa, for example, regularly comes up with winning goals or key passes. But as you say, he's young so fingers crossed.

Yeah. Hes creative, good on the ball etc. He usually plays AP Attacking in the CM spot for me, sometimes on the wings too - thats the good thing about him. I also have Dzagoev, Milner, Ayew, Tiote, Anita and Adryan who can all play Centre Midfield and most of those players are versatile too! That isn't including Yaan M'Vila and Wellington Nem, Stevan Jovetic who can play the wings and Vila is a DM.

Flexible team, I love it.

Also check out Yassine Benzia. Epic young striker and just scored twice - once with a classy run around the keeper! West Brom at Home, we won 6-1 in the end, Jovetic added another 2 to the 4 he scored the game before :D

Encouraging to see how you've got some of the youth players developing Tommo. I started my save with Newcastle last night as I was looking for a good re-building project. Of course, Newcastle didn't really need a re-building to take place, until I got my hands on them... I'll post transfers and my first few results later tonight. :D

Sammy Ameobi's unreal on this :D He's made 7 appearances for me so far (4 starts) mainly on the left wing and he's netted 5 times and assisted 3!

I'm on an 11 game win streak at the minute, still yet to lose and only points we've dropped was that 0-0 draw with the Scousers in the first league game. Cisse has 7 goals and 5 assists in 8 appearances. Ba has 3 in 6 and Ben Arfa 2 goals and 4 assists. Everything's really clicked into place now I've got Tiote, Anita and Cabaye bossing the midfield. Perch & Jonas not doing too badly either in DM when needed, but thankfully I've never had to play them both at the same time yet :p

@Tommonufc Sent you another PM pal.

I don't have the tactic that tactic to hand any longer - I could post up my current one being used, but it's nothing revolutionary mind, and probably more effective due to being tailored to the personnel in my side from game to game.

Excited for Brugge game this evening :D

my DoF seems to be doing a better job this summer of identifying signings...I've cancelled a couple of his deals so fat, but they have been bids for decent players in areas we need cover. He'd arranged deals for Tim Chandler the American right back and Patrick Hermann a winger from Gladbach, I ended up cancelling the Chandler deal as I didn't think he was quite good enough defensively, but might go through with the deal for Hermann.

I haven't been having too much luck myself securing my main targets as Man City blew my chances of signing Griezmann and then the AMC I wanted, Roman Bezus, failed to get a work permit. Did manage to secure this young lad from Feyenoord when he was transfer listed by his request.

jordyclasieoverviewprof.png

Signed him mainly because I love that mix of excellent mental attributes and good fitness and stamina. He should fit in nicely with our hard working midfield and means we're adequately stocked there in case we get an irresistable offer for Le Dreamboat himself. He's become a regular in the Dutch national side over the previous season, and seems to be the successor to Mark 'Never touched him Ref' Van Bommel (although maybe not quite as dirty going by the fact that he's only had 1 yellow card in his 6 international appearances so far....quite tame by MVB standards)

I'd really like to pick up either an experienced AMC to play while Adryan develops, or a good, quick winger so I can shift Ben Arfa across to that position instead but finding it hard to find one that's not going to cost the earth.

Looks to be a nice player there - my DOF also lined up a deal for Chandler I canceled on, also looked at Herrman myself this summer with the my DOF completing a £11M deal I canceled on after second thoughts - chosing to go after Moritz Leitner of Dortmund instead.

That combo of high Aggression and low tackling could see him rack up some bookings though :p

newcastletransfers.png

The start of my very own 8 year plan. I'm sure some Toon fans will be shocked at who has left in the first season, but that's how I wanted to rebuild the club. Looked at a fair few of the signings that people had made in here and looked around for some others. For some reason Mason Bennett went to Spurs after I had agreed a contract with him, so I signed Fierro instead.

Adryan kept getting denied his work permit. :(

The start of my very own 8 year plan. I'm sure some Toon fans will be shocked at who has left in the first season, but that's how I wanted to rebuild the club. Looked at a fair few of the signings that people had made in here and looked around for some others. For some reason Mason Bennett went to Spurs after I had agreed a contract with him, so I signed Fierro instead.

Adryan kept getting denied his work permit. :(

Not shocked - just don't understand why people would chose to manage a club, then go on to sell the players that would help to make the club desirable to manage in the first place. May be my bias due to me being a Toon fan, but I wouldn't dream of going to Everton as an example an sell off Felliani and Baines - they would be players I want want to evolve a team from.

People can easily 'rebuild', although I would argue that there is no rebuilding process needed, without raising millions by selling off prize assets. Just seems nonsensical to me.

But hey, everyone can manage any club how they like, and that's the beauty of FM :p

People can easily 'rebuild', although I would argue that there is no rebuilding process needed, without raising millions by selling off prize assets. Just seems nonsensical to me.

It was more so I don't get hit hard during the ACON. I knew I could get a lot of money for those players and I knew I could replace them adequately.

Looks to be a nice player there - my DOF also lined up a deal for Chandler I canceled on, also looked at Herrman myself this summer with the my DOF completing a £11M deal I canceled on after second thoughts - chosing to go after Moritz Leitner of Dortmund instead.

That combo of high Aggression and low tackling could see him rack up some bookings though :p

Yeah I can see a few yellows in his future career...but how can I resist having Jordy Clasie the Classy Geordie :D

Just passed the summer transfer window on my save so time for an update.

There was quite a turnover in terms of players. The main sales from the club were captain Coloccini to Arsenal for £10.5m as well as Mike Williamsom going to Southampton for £5m and Sylvain Marveaux to Reading for £7m. Others to leave included Shola Ameobi, Rob Elliot and Steve Harper whilst Gabriel Obertan, Xisco and Ryan Taylor were makeweights in player exchange deals to Spurs, Hull and Southampton respectively. Loan deals were completed for Nile Ranger and Dan Gosling which got both players wages off the wage bill. Incoming were Steven Caulker, Tom Cairney and Adam Lallana in the aforementioned player exchange deals. Jack Butland was brought in to replace Harper as Krul's number two and will ultimately compete with him in a few years. To replace Coloccini and provide new club captain Steven Taylor with competition were Ciaran Clark (£3.9m), who will also see game time at left back and midfield, Jores Okore (£1.3m) as well as Caulker. Midfield was boosted with the arrival of Ruben Yttergard Jenssen (£1.7m), James Forrest (£2.8m) and Lallana and Cairney. Up front I decided to go for something different and buy Wellington Nem and plan on using him as a false nine as opposed to buying an out and out striker. For the future, we brought in Mason Bennett (£2.3m), Adryan (£875k) and Nathan Redmond (£4.8m). In reality we spent £3.5m, however we paid for all our players up front and avoided the 48 month payments whilst reducing both the wage bill and the average age of the squad.

Results so far have been promising with an opening day 1-0 win over Stoke with Cisse netting the winner. Our first home league game was one to remember, a 4-1 win over Spurs thank to a hat trick from Cisse and a cracking fourth from Cabaye. A disappointing result followed with a 1-0 home defeat to Reading.

In Europe, we progressed past Hearts. After a first leg home 0-0, a stronger squad won the second leg 3-0 with goals from Vuckic, Ba and Redmond. Our Europa League group pits us against Athletic Bilbao of Spain (a chance to see Llorente in action), HJK of Finland and Ukrainian outfit Metalist.

Archived