Sports Interactive Community
tommonufc

FM13: Newcastle United - Alan Pardew and The Eight Year Plan.

Looks like a boring night in for me after everyone has bailed going out tonight.

Films, check.

FM, check.

Newcastle save, check.

A mountain of crap to eat, check.

Maybe not so boring after all...

@DandyDon .. may I ask how you set your team up? particularly your defence? I've never got to grips with stopper and cover formations

I've got Taylor playing the stopper role with Colo playing as a Ball Playing Defender and the cover role usually, though when I play 4-5-1 they're both playing as central defenders. Simpson and Santon are the first choice on the flanks and just have them set up as Fullbacks-Automatic, though I might be tweaking that a bit.

I have the stopper set to fairly short passing and very low creative freedom as I want to try and minimise the chance of him trying to play constant long balls out from the back and hoofing away possession. The Cover defender has the more defensive mentality, but more mixed passing and little bit more creative freedom (not a huge amount though, I'm not asking them to be a playmaker). The exact settings keep getting tweaked through the season and I'm still not 100% happy with the results, still concede some horribly soft looking goals, but Taylor and Colo both finished the season with pretty decent ratings (and without having to score crazy numbers of goals from broken corner kick routines).

Amazing effort with the thread.. Will have a dabble with the DEMO and looking forward to playing in Europe first season. Cant wait until game is out now

2012/13 Season Update...We came, we saw, we conquered (eventually)

newcastleunitedjantomay.png

As you might have guessed having three strikers in the squad who were key players for major contenders in the African Cup of Nations looked like it could prove a major problem for us in January and February. Ba and kweuke were both selected for Senegal and Cameroon, while Cisse would have joined them but for a serious injury he picked up.

Luckily for me I hadn't figured on the form of dynamic young duo Adam Campbell and Haris Vukic who put in several fantastic performances in that period. Both of them giving me hope that they could develop into the top class players they can be. They even played well in our 3-0 defeat at Old Trafford where Man Utd somehow racked up a convincing win despite the fact that we had as many shots on goal during the game as they did (both sides having 25 shots) while we had double the number on target (14 out of our 25 shots were on target compared to 7 of theirs) and 51%.

Some new arrivals also helped steady the ship despite more injuries for Ba and Cisse. Alan Dzagoev and Bressan arrived early in January on free transfers and I added Marc Albrighton for £2.4 million to give us another option on the right wing. All of them made significant contributions in the following months. Dzagoev especially impressed me with some of the chances he created playing behind the striker. (Just wish we'd taken a few more of them!)

Man City continued their revival through January and February and for the next few weeks we kept taking turn about at the top of the league. However toward the end of April their success in the cup competitions seemed to catch up with them a bit. We were going well in Europe but the domestic cups had been something of a washout, City had made it to the final of the League Cup and were in the semi's of both the FA Cup and Champions League. They were somewhat surprisingly knocked out of the FA Cup by Stoke but then they received a massive knock to their title hopes, suffering a 7-0 hammering at Anfield :eek: I have to put the scoreline down as a freak result due to some of the issues with the beta match engine, because there's no way the match stats should have led to a result that one sided.

Obviously that result played into our hands and City slumped off the pace a little, allowing us to open up a 5 point gap going in to our showdown at SJP. They also slumped out of Europe, losing the oil rich semi-final against PSG on goal difference. In the crucial match we managed to take a 2-0 lead into half time with goals from Ba and Taylor, looking pretty dominant in the process. City came roaring back in the second half and even without the likes of Aguero, Tevez and Dzeko to call on they were able to level the match, but they just ran out of time to grab the win.

The draw meant we had the luxury of knowing we only needed a solitary point from our last 2 games, while City absolutely had to win both of theirs and hoped we slipped up massively. However we cruised to the win against QPR with one of our best performances of the season and wrapped things up with a game to go making the defeat away to Everton meaningless in the end.

englishpremierdivisionf.png

We also managed to secure some European silverware against the odds, managing a real hit and run, counter attacking win against Juventus in the final, with a man of the match performance from Hatem Ben Arfa. Ben Arfa was probably my star of the season, although he didn't finish with the highest average rating in the squad due to the occasional diabolical showing. He finished the campaign with an impressive 16 goals and 22 assists from 45 games, most of those playing on the right wing, but several in the AMC position. Sylvain Marveaux and Tim Krul were my two highest rated players in terms of their average rating, (7.58 and 7.44 respectively) and Sylvain made it into the Players Team of the Season alongside Steven Taylor and Davide Santon.

Despite injury interrupted seasons both Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse played as well as you'd expect when fit, averaging a goal every 2 games roughly (12 from 24 for Ba, 8 from 20 for Cisse). Hopefully with a bit more luck on the injury front and no ACoN distraction mid season they can have a more fruitful time of it during the next campaign. I saw plenty of promising signs from some of the younger players too and the likes of Campbell, Vukic, Amalfitano and Adryan will be starting games more regularly next season.

There may be trouble ahead....

One cloud on the horizon (and it is potentially a biggie..) is that with the unexpected success of the past season, several clubs are casting longing looks at the likes of Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Santon and Ba. I also keep getting told by my Assistant Manager that several members of the squad have concerns about their contracts and if their demands turn out to be anything like Cabaye's (as mentioned earlier in the thread) I could be very hard pushed to meet all of them which could lead to some very disgruntled players moping around the club.

As far as transfer activity goes, we've been priced out of a move for my main target Dusan Tadic as Twente want around £20 million for him, however there are a couple of interesting possibles in the market now. The likes of Javier Hernandez, Lukas Podolski and Javi Garcia are all currently transfer listed as they're unhappy at their current clubs. Depending on how the contract situations play out in July I might end up making a move for one or more of them.

@DandyDon Top season there, cracking double! Contract renewals are always annoying, especially when you want to keep finances under control. Tied Ba down on a long term deal, but that now seems him on £60K+ a week :/ Suppose it's to be expected.

Finally getting rolling into my save; have previously made several starts to pre-seasons only to get run-time errors, have loaded a skeleton database, and haven't bothered with bringing anybody in, so working with the squad as in real life. Made an unbeaten start in the first four games in the league, winning two, drawing two - and been handed a tough Europa League group, which sees a nice trip to San Siro to play Inter Milan!

DirtyJoe Thanks :) .

@tommonufc

I got Ba onto a new deal about halfway through the season, £50+k a week and a £35 million release clause. However his agent was agitating for another contract even before the season finished :eek:

Any chance of SI introducing "use shotgun" option to contract talks....

similar story to me Tommo... going to start my save proper today, if i get any peace and quiet from the mrs :)

Bocchetti agreed to sign! Praised him in public and he's chose us over PSG.

He'll be coming in that the end of the season. Who do I pick between Kjaer, Colo and Bocchetti? I'm thinking Colo and Bocchetti atm, but Kjaer's been very good this season.

And on a side note, destroyed the mackems to get to the league cup final where I'll be playing Villa. Thinking it's looking likely we'll be taking our first trophy of the season here.

Bocchetti looks like he should be a class act playing as Ball playing central defender, plus he can always give Santon a rest at left back if need be.

My only signings so far in the summer have been Bocchetti and Vladimir Weiss on free transfers. I did think about signing Javier Hernandez from Man Utd as he was transfer listed with an asking price of £9.25 million. In the end though I decided I have enough strikers at the club and I'll only move for a new one if Cisse, Ba or Kweuke get too demanding on the wage front. Hernandez ended up moving to Porto for £10.5 mill.

I did have a £9million bid accepted for Adam Lallana of Southampton, but he wanted at least £50k a week as a rotation player, with a hike to £80k a week upon his first international cap. I decided to pull out of talks for now as I'm not quite ready to pay that for a player who will essentially be back up (for this season at least, Marveaux deserves to hold on to the AML position after his performances in the season just finished).

I'm working on trying to bring in Nathaniel Clyne and possibly Jack Robinson to the club to add to the contingent of English players but so far haven't been able to agree fees with their clubs.

Southampton did make a bid to make their loan deal for Mike Williamson a permanent one, but he turned them down so I'll have to offer him out to clubs again as he's even less likely to play with Bocchetti's arrival. I have also transfer listed Jonas with a heavy heart, he didn't get many games last season due to the form of Ben Arfa and Marveaux in the wide positions and he's getting frustrated so I'd prefer to let him move on now.

@james_wilko - Bochetti is a top signing! How much did he set you back?

I picked him up for a deal at around £16M, largely made up from clauses. Moved on Danny Simpson to fund that, and had planned on using Saylor at first choice right back until I could get enough funds to bring in a right full back. Alas, that save soon disappeared into the ether - damn those Runtime Errors!!

@welshace - Wiped my old PC and loaded up steam and FM to play the game on there - is a lot more quicker than the laptop, but as soon as I got into the first pre-season friendly I got a runtime error. Looked in the forum and found it to be something to do with the graphics I had added in - got rid of those, and loaded up the save all over again, and it was still happening. So will have to wait for the full release and hope SI have sorted it out before I can get into a decent save - as at the moment I've only got small database with England loaded on the laptop.

Haven't bothered signing anybody or selling - just trying to get a 4-3-1-2 firing, with Ben Arfa in behind. Is looking pretty good so far, best result being a 4-0 home win to Stoke - Cisse grabbing all four. The ME is very different I've noticed, the passing stats from some of my players is way beyond what was previously achieved - with Bigirimana bossing both of my Europa League qualifiers, and Anita doing something similar within the league. Cabaye is just about to return from injury, so eager to see how he fites into the 'Pirlo' role.

Tommo, Bocchetti's a freebie. His contract is up at the end of the season and I coerced him to us over PSG when they offered him a contract. I have to wait til this season finishes and he'll be here.

In January when Ba, Cisse and Tiote go to the ACON I found we really struggled, ended up losing twice in a row to Swansea and then Spurs. Also dropped out of the FA Cup as I played an entirely back up team V QPR.

Was a little disappointed with Adam Campbell's stats - thought he might have been given a serious upgrade but have had to throw him in at the deep end to cover Cisse during the ACN in Jan - and he's scored 8 in 7 in the poacher role!

@dutch3723

I wouldn't worry too much about his stats, they'll get much better with the right guidance. Plus he's smashing it up 1st season for me!

18 goals in 13 starts and 7 sub appearances!

ScreenShot2012-10-28at132811.png

Absolutely amazing thread. I'm a rookie when it comes to FM but this will help me immensely. Many thanks.

Well welcome to FM, destroyer of social lives and biggest time sink that I know of :D and good luck with a Newcastle save :thup:

@Historyhead Thank you, best of luck with your save. :)

darrensen Wow, he's on fire! How are you playing him, and setting the team up?

Got my Newcastle save underway..finally had time to get into it properly, just smashed Sunderland at home 4-1 on opening day of season to start things off...very nice indeed! :)

darrensen Wow, he's on fire! How are you playing him, and setting the team up?[/font]

tommo it's in my video mate. Playing him as a poacher but you'll see my formation and tactics in the vid.

Ouch......second season is not off to a great start, just got mullered 4-0 in the community shield and so far haven't managed to bag one of my transfer targets

@CaptainStarbuster Thanks man, appreciated :)

Seemed to be over the back of the run time errors on the latest edition of the beta, so started over once again. Brought a few faces in this time, and even managed to move on Xisco! Got the season off to the flyer with a 3-1 win over 5under1land; started Ameobi over Cisse up top with Ba in this game purely on real life bias that he loves to score in these games, and true to life he smashed in a penalty to put us 2-0 up!

8135407786_74cfa858fc_b.jpg

[/img]

Was wondering if anyone would help me with the individual player settings for Ben Arfa, have him playing in a AMR positions as an Inside Forward, but whenever he gets the ball he just passes it back to the full back. I want him to be making the runs down the line, cutting inside and generally taking on players like he does week in week out in real life, just cant seem to replicate it at the minute in FM13.

Also has anyone seen Cisse miss easy tap-ins, he seems to do this atleast once a game :/ abit frustrating when he does it but i suppose it realistic, can't score everytime he shots :p

wko8bc.png

Got to say I'm struggling to get him firing too, but that's probably a wider problem to do with my team not scoring enough at the moment.

If your wanting him to cut inside, you have to have space created for him to be running into. I've seen him with me running infield from deeper positions, for example as he's bringing the ball over the half way line - but he rarely picks the ball up in the final third and jinks past players.

First things I can think off would be increasing his creative freedom, and lowering his through balls. The latter will increase his likelihood to run with the ball, decreasing his instructed option to find a through ball. Next thing would be to look out how far he's up the field when he's getting the ball - if he's picking the ball high up the field he won't have space to run inside, and will run into traffic. Try decreasing his forward runs, so he perhaps receives the ball deeper and can run and attack defences from higher up the pitch.

You're not alone, he's not exactly pulling up trees for me either - something I struggled with last year too.

Wow. Fantastic Post.

Any feedback on Team Instructions tactics? Passing or direct styles of play etc that suit Newcastle ....??

He's not totally consistent for me, but certainly seem to be getting more out of him on this version of FM compared to last year where he was usually anonymous for me apart from the odd game in 10. I have really amped his creative freedom and pretty much let him get on with it as an Inside Forward usually, did up his Attempt long shots from Rarely to Sometimes as well.

Not sure how many changes the update made to the beta match engine but judging by just a few games so far we seem to be defending a little better, but missing more chances upfront. Unfortunately defenders seem to be way too effective at attacking set pieces again. Just beat Blackburn with Steven Taylor grabbing a hattrick of headers (equalling his goal tally for the whole of the previous season in one match).

Wow. Fantastic Post.

Any feedback on Team Instructions tactics? Passing or direct styles of play etc that suit Newcastle ....??

Thanks.

Well I'm trying to get a passing style into the side, but struggling to be honest. I'm not getting the best from Ba or Cisse, as I don't think I'm getting the ball forward quick enough for them.

I'd say that a rather quick, direct (but not long-ball) 4-4-2 would suit Newcastle. This would hopefully see you get the best from Ba and Cisse up front.

Something I like the look of and have played around with is a 4-3-1-2 as seen in the tactics section on the first page.

Would only annoy me if I lost to them :p I think it's pretty sound way to kick off your season - beating the mackems!

Just beaten Liverpool at home 3-0 with this line-up. Going to give it a few games see if I can make it stick.

8138988809_e0f642ed28.jpgabDDpVqaij.jpg

Interesting formation Tommo...I'll look forward to hearing how it works out.

I haven't been quite so adventurous, 4-4-2 with advanced wingers at home usually, and your basic 4-2-3-1 away.

It looks adventurous, but essentially plays as a midfield diamond. Ba is to the left, which sees him track the full back slightly, with Ben Arfa to the right somewhat that sees him drift wide to the right, with a midfield three of Ayew, Tiote and Cabaye - Ayew will be the highest of the three so is in a cm position, with Cabaye playing below him who moves up from DM, and Tiote just sitting in front of the back four.

Just beat Manchester City 3-1 at home in the Carling Cup - although a runtime error popped up as I started this sentence now!! Aggghhhh!

Just played Barcelona in the European Super Cup and at 2-0 down got the following message from John Carver 'The current scoreline doesn't reflect our possession and overall domination of the game'

Wondered what he'd been smoking at that point but on checking the stats after the game we had 54% of the possession, a higher pass completion rate than Barca and 18 shots on goal to their 9. Unfortunately the strikers still haven't quite found their form so far since the new season kicked off.

Ahh, unlucky. I had a similar situation in one of my Europa League games, away to Rubin, should have won the game by two or three goals, instead returned from Russia losing 1-0! :(

Any signings made for season two? You mentioned that you were unable to bring in any of your targets..

Ahh, unlucky. I had a similar situation in one of my Europa League games, away to Rubin, should have won the game by two or three goals, instead returned from Russia losing 1-0! :(

Any signings made for season two? You mentioned that you were unable to bring in any of your targets..

Managed to make some ground on transfers toward the end of August, finally. I've made a couple of major deals, bringing in Antoine Griezmann from Real Sociedad (another Frenchman :D) and added Rasmus Elm as a transfer target and my board managed to bag him.

Still haven't managed to sign a fullback which I really hoped to get in, but still have a couple days of the transfer window left to wheel and deal.

Niceee - I spent quite heavily, and was quite busy in the first window; managed to move on a few too. Sold Danny Simpson at right-back, but didn't bring in a direct replacement, so fielding Anita, Raylor and Tavenier there until I gain extra funds and bring in a full back. Andre Ayew was the major signing, brought in the familar faces of Strandberg, Adryan, Wellington Silva, Dzagoev and Okore.

Been stuck in a spiral of frustration for the last hour and half. Play Man City in the league, play Rubin in the Europa League; Man City again in the Carling Cup - Run Time Error - repeat.. AGGGHH!

Upside to that is that I've refined a nice 3-4-3 to counter attack City with :p

Not having a lot of luck with the runtime errors!

I've not had any crashes so far on the beta thankfully.

Finally added a new fullback when I managed to clinch a deal for Nathaniel Clyne on the last day of the window, but unfortunately our deal for Jack Robinson fell through when the window shut. I've managed to move a few bodies out selling Shola Ameobi to Espanyol for £1.3 million, Mike Williamson to Charlton for £2mill, Jonas to Porto for a welcome £5.75mill and Ryan Taylor left on the last day of the window for £4 mill to Aston Villa.

Had the beta since release but was kind of waiting for a FM13 NUFC thread to pop up - nice one, great thread.

Just started a game and as ever I have gone in with all guns blazing and rung the changes!

Outgoings (to pick but a few) are Xisco, Ranger, Shola, Simpson, Raylor, Williamson, Marveaux, Harper - in fact most of the fringe/reserves!

Incomings so far are....

Jovetic for £17.5 - about £4m up front, rest over 48 months

Wellington Nem for his release

Adryan for his release

Dzagoev end of contract

Kjaer for £3m or so

Might take some blending this one!

Any suggestions for a good right back? I'm planning on starting the season with a downloaded 4-2-3-1 tactic...

Krul

Taylor Colo Kjaer Santon

Tiote Cabaye

HBA Jovetic Ba

Cisse

Would like a more natural right back than S Taylor...any suggestions?

Any suggestions for a good right back? I'm planning on starting the season with a downloaded 4-2-3-1 tactic...

Krul

Taylor Colo Kjaer Santon

Tiote Cabaye

HBA Jovetic Ba

Cisse

Would like a more natural right back than S Taylor...any suggestions?

How much have you to spend? Are you still in the first window?

I've moved on Simpson, and using Anita there until I can get an upgrade.

Hoping I can move in on Leighton Baines in January, and move Santon across.

good call on Anita, completely forgot about him!

Struggling to find a good tactic though - haven't played any games this season but have played a few matches on other saves and just can't get something to work with NUFC. Tried wide, narrow, the lot. Any tactics that fit well?

Had the beta since release but was kind of waiting for a FM13 NUFC thread to pop up - nice one, great thread.

Just started a game and as ever I have gone in with all guns blazing and rung the changes!

Outgoings (to pick but a few) are Xisco, Ranger, Shola, Simpson, Raylor, Williamson, Marveaux, Harper - in fact most of the fringe/reserves!

Incomings so far are....

Jovetic for £17.5 - about £4m up front, rest over 48 months

Wellington Nem for his release

Adryan for his release

Dzagoev end of contract

Kjaer for £3m or so

Might take some blending this one!

Wellington Nem has a release fee of 111 mil. I hope you didn't pay that!

He had a much lower release clause when the beta originally came out I think, like 3.5million or something.

good call on Anita, completely forgot about him!

Struggling to find a good tactic though - haven't played any games this season but have played a few matches on other saves and just can't get something to work with NUFC. Tried wide, narrow, the lot. Any tactics that fit well?

You've got pace in the side, with Ben Arfa, Ba, Cisse - so can look for a quick tempo, attacking play. Just stick with something that you would think will work, and let settle - has taken me a around 15 games into the season before I'm finally seeing what is working, and what isn't.

I see you've got Jovetic, what's he like playing in the cm position?

I'm having a good deal of success at the moment with; I'd imagine if you could get this to work, Jovetic could be deadly breaking into attacking areas, and linking up with Ben Arfa.

Tiote - Cabaye - Ayew

Ben Arfa

Cisse - Ba

I feel sooo dirty.

The thread was really well written and has persuaded me to start a Newcastle save. I am a Sunderland fan ;) (actually I'm wearing my Sunderland shirt right now!)

Anyway, I haven't brought in too many players as I'm quite impressed with the depth the squad already has.

In:

Royston Drenthe - Free (Adds a bit of depth on the left hand side to give Guttierez a rest from time to time, although he has been outplaying Guttierez at the moment!)

Simon Kjaer - £3M (Cheap enough and a good option for CB. Don't think he's quite good enough to challenge Taylor or Colochini but definitely better back-up than Williamson.)

Out:

Shane Ferugson - Loaned to Stoke

Mike Williamson - £2.8M to Wigan (happy at the price I got for him, effectively only paid £200k for Kjaer who I feel is a lot better.)

Xisco - Free to Zaragoza

Nile Ranger - Free to Brentford

Gael Bigirimana - Loaned to Leeds.

Had a terrible pre-season and only won one game but doing ok competitively. Drew first game of the season against Stoke 1-1 (stupid last minute goal when I decided to rest players) and beat Dinamo Moscow 2-1 in Europe (came back from 1-0 down.) Just hammered West Ham 4-0 while resting players like Tiote and Guttierez (even Anita scored!)

Enjoying it at the moment and looking to bring in a CB before the window shuts, and my long term target is to bring in another decent striker/someone to replace Ameobi as I don't like him (I wonder why ;))

Haha, I think that's the biggest accolade the thread has received yet.. along with SI's stamp of approval :D

I would have had Bigi and Ferguson tutored before loaning them out, keep an eye on their performances - I doubt they will have the determination to progress, especially Bigirimana.

No need to sell Ameobi at all, he's still got at least two good games a season in him :D Center back, could probably go for youth if your sticking with Taylor and Colo - Strandberg, Okore seem popular choices, I liked the look of the young English guy from Wolves (forgot is name) - or get Streete tutored by Taylor early and promote him into the first team.

His release fee was/is £3.5m and I am running the latest version of the Beta so he might have signed a new contract on yours?

Season so far!

Thought id give an update on my season so far........

Heres my tactics for both Home and Away

11lt0ec.png

League Table, bearing in mind I have two games in hand over some teams

jgoyet.png

Fixtures Played so far

24xq99d.png

Transfer History

28bz3v7.png

Recent highlight was the 3-2 away win in Europe, was losing 2-1 with 30 mins to go,playing a weakened side, bring on shola ameobi and he sets up obertan for the equaliser and then scores an 80th minute penalty to give us a priceless win and leave us top of the group! In Shola we trust!