FM13: Newcastle United - Alan Pardew and The Eight Year Plan.

tommonufc

Hmmm, don't know the PAs of the other guys, but Campbell and Streete are both [below], so they have the potential to turn into Premier League players, so takes a bit of an oaf not to get anything from them :p Obviously highley dependant on tutoring, and changing their personalities to ones more responsive of the training recieved and game time, and rising thier CAs.

That aside, I've been gifted with Campbell's PA I'd say - looking a world class poacher at the moment, and still room for further development coaches say.

Trying to scout out some 15/16 year olds, but really struggling to find anything viable. Few potential stars in the PL academies at the moment, two at WHU, but they want £20+ and £50+ for each of them. Have begun to set up a good affiliate network, with BATE Borisov of Belarus as a feeder, so can loan out South American's I recruit and gain work permits; and Ipswich Town, who I've promoted from League 1 through sending players to :p

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

27x2xps.png

This will definitely be one my best results on FM this season. It's taken me up to 2nd in the league at the start of October, Chelsea do have a game in hand on me though. Really enjoying this save, every player is performing brilliantly and I've finally found a tactic that works.

I think everyone is. It's not clear yet if the data patch is backwards compatible. My advice is, if you're in season 1, don't finish the season, or at least have a backup.

Can confirm it IS backwards compatible.

As soon as the patch is out, you will no longer get double taxed BUT you won't get the cash you've already lost back unfortunately :)

As soon as the patch is out, you will no longer get double taxed BUT you won't get the cash you've already lost back unfortunately :)

Shocking!!

I'm making a claim! ;)

Glad to hear its backwards compatible, would be disappointed to undo any work done.

Any idea when the patch will be out, I'm currently stalling my save in the 1st season waiting for it. I'm currently doing my uni coursework just to stop myself from playing it. :p

Any idea when the patch will be out, I'm currently stalling my save in the 1st season waiting for it. I'm currently doing my uni coursework just to stop myself from playing it. :p

Oh the horror.....:p

I remember the large numbers of essays that got done in the wee small hours of the morning due to 'just another hour' of Champ Man 97/98

I am halfway through the second season and I have just had this message in the inbox :cool:.

adamcampbellgetsintoeng.jpg

So after just over one and a half seasons tutoring and heavy training on the poacher role and a lot of match time this season, Adam Campbell could get his first England cap against Chile at Wembley Stadium aged just 19.

He will be in the squad with two other Newcastle players in Steven Caulker and Jack Wilshere. It would of been Steven Taylor as well if he wasn't injured again :rolleyes:.

Nice stuff, think he got his first England cap around the same time in my save.

How on earth did you get Jack Wilshere so early on in to the game?

He never played in the England match he was a unused sub :(

Wilshere only played four league games for Arsenal in the first season and was unhappy about a lack of first team football, so after a lot of negotiation with Mr Wenger we finally agreed a deal of £14m. He has been pretty poor for me so far though but that is probably my fault as I have played him in various roles in these postitions AMC, AML, AMR, MC, DMC.

can anyone help me out with my tactic. im not doing to badly, im in the top 4 but i cant seem to push on and beat the big teams and get the consistency i need to win the PL.

Im playing 4-2-3-1

ben arfa and fishcer on the wings. Adam campbell up front as a poacher. Dzagoev behind the striker as a playmaker. and ayew and cabaye in midfield. Ayew is set to ball winning midfielder. cabaye is a deep playmaker.

I cant seem to get the best out of dzagoev. i dont know whether this is the problem.

anyone help would be great

Your need to be more specific - how do you set your team up? Direct, slow build up play? What's going wrong do you think, not scoring enough? Conceding too many?

----------------------------------------------

Could have done with Forest getting me a result here :( No wonder their going down :mad: Clowns!

8202901555_ea8778efeb_b.jpg

Into my third season, picked up two consecutive 3rd places. Lost in the First Knockout round of the Europa league in the first season, made it to the Quater Finals of the CL in the second season. Managed to make it back from 4-1 in the first leg to 4-4 at home to United but lost it in the second leg. I was triumphant in the FA Cup second season, so I have had some glory.

Third season is looking intresting, top of the table mid-November, just thumped Arsenal 6-1 at home. Recently been taken over by some random business chap, hes chucked 18m into my transfer budget and enhanced the youth/training facilities, so cant complaing. The Russian billionaire would of been prefered, but you cant win them all.

Somehow managed to get Callejon in my first season for £6k, he was not wanted and transfer listed by Madrid...... stupidly cheap, not sure what was going on there, but couldn't say no to a bargin. Went for the standard Adryan and Dzagoev purchases to go alongside him and picked up Kjaer for £3m to sure up the defence. Alex Song came in on loan in January, did a good job.

Shipped out Perchinho and Simpson for 3.5m each to Norwich and Lpool respectively. Loaned out the majority of youth players including Campbell (and again in the second season, against my wishes, thought I stopped my youth guy sorting his loans out, but apparently I was wrong).

Second season Mattia Destro came in on a free and forked out for Leitner and Bittencourt. Nobody seems to want any of my players, had no bids for anyone really(Cabaye and Ben Arfa in the first season but I wanted to keep them, then Kjaer after the second season), so Im stuck with most of the current heroes. Golsing, Obertan and Taylor got moved on for 2.5m,3.6m and 3m. Harper retired and Alnwick went on loan...... I had no second keeper, brought in Tom Stark off Bayern on loan before I found a nice 5 star potential regen. Also brough Batra on loan from Barca for the season

Third season in came Admelison for 5m, Nathaniel Clyne for 10m and a five star potential regen CB from Roma for another few million. Also looking forward for January when an unhappy Oxlaide Chamberlaine has penned a deal to join.......Far too many wide players to keep happy need to move some on, need the funds for the defence aswell. I managed to have a solid defence in the first season, only conceeded 33 which was up there with the best, second season I leaked 50 goals, was not happy. Already at 15 in my third season after 14 games, WBA only let in 6 so far!

Anyone recommened any CBs at this point? Been looking at bringing in some regen youngsters but most of them seem to be asking for 12k+ Whats that about?! One chap I just looked at from Real is asking for 22k he is only on 55 quid at the minute, greedy sods!

FINNNAALLLLY. At long last I reach the summit. Man City drew 1-1 away to Leicester, incidently a point that could prove priceless in their bid to stay up, and it was left for me to do the business against West Brom to leap frog them for the first time in nearly 20 games.

8204172494_9b355e6188_b.jpg

8203081753_5f84b43561_b.jpg

8203081837_6efe5d9e51_b.jpg

Congrats Tommo, best things come to those who wait and all that :thup:

Been making slow progress on my second season so far, waiting for the update to sort out the tax issue and taking time to try and clear a couple other games off my pile of shame. Anyway with the update out now I've been plowing on through with it today, so here's an update.

Results so far

newcastleunitedfixtures.png

Until the New Year we were in fantastic form and pretty much running away with the league at one point. Cisse, Ben Arfa and Jonas all in fantastic form in the league, with the rest of the squad not too far behind them. We qualified comfortably from our Champion's League group (getting the oil rich PSG in the 1st Knockout round), the only real disappointment was the annoying 1-0 defeat at the hands of Wolves in the League Cup.

January and February however were a rough couple of months for us with a combination of niggling injuries to the likes of Ba, Cisse, Tiote, Jonas, Taylor and Cabaye, suspensions and loss of form saw us lose several league matches, get knocked out of the FA Cup in the 4th round and lose the first leg of our knockout tie with PSG. During the January window I did manage to sign one of my early 1st season targets when I bought in Dusan Tadic from Twente Enschede for £7.2 million, and my DoF also secured some extra cover my arranging a loan deal for Adam Lallana (who had signed for Man utd in the 1st season).

The League Table

englishpremierdivisiono.png

We were 8 points clear of Man Utd at one point, but our slump in form has allowed them to close the gap and they currently have real momentum in the league, unbeaten since they lost to us in December and only dropping points in 2 draws. Hopefully with Cisse and Ba returning to full fitness and a promising team meeting that boosted morale we can arrest our slump and kick on during the last few months of the season, fingers crossed.

I have already managed to secure my major signing for the summer though, arranging to bring Keisuke Honda to the club when his contract expires with CSKA Moscow. I'm delighted with that as with his high Work Rate and Teamwork attributes he's an AMC who should fit in very nicely with the hard working midfield we've got at the club and he should also be a fantastic tutor for some of our young players and pretty much a bargain for his free kick ability alone :D

What's going on with Man City? They're, as you can see, fairly indomitable in my save. Without them as dominant in your save it seems the league is a bit more evenly matched, to the extent that you probably won't be seeing to teams finish on 90 points like my last campaign.

..and Wow, Liverpool are useless.

Spotted, in the Arsenal thread I think, that somebody had signed Honda to play him at left back as an attacking option there. I went after him with similar plans, but the erstwhile Damien Comolli made a hash of the deal and he headed to Paris. :( Top freebie though!

"Good things come to those who wait.." Got to say it's been one of the more enjoyable saves I've had in recent years, a tad more realistic I think - still yet to progress into the depths of the Champions League just yet, so that will be something I'll want to improve on, as well as carrying on my unbeaten stretch.

Transfer wise for the coming season I've signed a few young players for development, and picked up Giuseppe Rossi on a end of contract from Villarreal. He's come on relativly cheap wages, have given him a one year deal for the time being, with plans of an extension depending on how he fits in. He has some great stats to fit in next to Campbell as my creative forward, something that fellow freebie Iker Munian has been excelling in. But again a similar sory of me hoarding too many attacking, creative players. Damn, I'm a sucker for a creative number 10!

Not sure what's happening with Man City, they were down in the bottom half of the table for most of the season, even after buying the likes of Hamsik and Douglas Costa. They have hit some form finally though and now with a couple games left to go they've clawed their way back up in to the Champ's League spots.

Man Utd have kept their form going and did sneak past us to the top of the table and are three points ahead with the last 2 games left....but they do have to come to SJP for the next match so there's still a chance. We didn't make it past the 1st knockout round in Europe, we beat PSG in the second leg, but they grabbed an away goal that got them through.

With Honda arriving in summer, doubt I'll be making many moves transfer wise unless there's some real bargains to be found.

EDIT: Looks like title is going to Old Trafford. 2 goals and a MoM performance from Adam Campbell not quite enough to grab a win. We had to play most of the match with 10 men after Bocchetti halved Kagawa and they were able to score a second late on. So they are still 3 points ahead with only a home match against Swansea, while we have to head to Arsenal.

Shawcross was looking a bit to expensive, old tony wanted a good £25m for him, went for Phil Jones for £15m instead. Still got £18m in the transfer kitty after altering the expectations in January to champions league qualification, think I will just save it unless my DoF can sort me someone interesting. Still at the top of the table after 24 games, 6 points clear of Chelsea and 11 clear of City who have two games in hand. Racked up at 14 match unbeaten run dating back to the start of November after defeat to United; 11 wins 3 draws. The defence worries seem to have stabalised, only conceed 6 in the last 10. That gives me the joint best defence with a struggling Everton whilst being joint top scorers with Chelsea; 50 goals apiece.

Second season has gone a lot better than my first. (Scraped a top half finish and narrowly missed the sack..)

I'm currently sitting top after 20 games, Campbell is firing on all cylinders with 11 goals in 19 league apps and has led to me putting Cisse on the transfer list as I haven't managed to get him scoring at all since the start of the game.

Squad currently -

GK - Krul

RB - Corchia

CB - Saylor/Colo

CB - Kjaer/Bocchetti

LB - Santon

CM - Ayew/Jenssen

CM - Fellaini

AML - Ba/Sterling

AMC - Dzagoev

AMR - HBA

ST - Campbell/Cisse

Managed to bag a couple of regens with some really high potential that I'm rotating in the squad, and have a few that I have my eye on including a 17yr old 6"5 English CB that my scouts have found for me.

Highlights so far are -

Campbell's brace against the champions -

2dqtwex.jpg

Stuffing united -

10ckffa.png

& an away win against the dirty mackems -

6nw6q8.png

jack what sort of insturctions do u use on that formation. i have the same but im leaking a few goals and cant seem to get results against the top teams. im sitting in 3rd.

i have ayew in mdifield with cabaye. dzagoev as the playmaker and fischer on the left. campbell as a poacher.

jack what sort of insturctions do u use on that formation. i have the same but im leaking a few goals and cant seem to get results against the top teams. im sitting in 3rd.

i have ayew in mdifield with cabaye. dzagoev as the playmaker and fischer on the left. campbell as a poacher.

2e67qs2.png

I think the key to playing like this is to have a pretty strong back 4 to be able to cope with opposition counter attacks, this has lead to some great results against the big sides but differently to you occasionally i do struggle against weaker teams.

Anyone have any tips for coping with playing badly against weaker teams? Is it an over confidence problem?

You need to untick your selections in Specific Instructions, and just instruct those through shouts.

Unticking the defaults has a, seemingly to my previous detriment, a massive knock on effect.

Basically, un tick the deep, narrow, and quick to normal. Possibly revert to a control to get a balance you might want, and have a look around in the shouts in game to get the specific approach your looking for.

Been following this thread for a while but I've decided I'll update with my first season and start of the second. I managed to keep the majority of the team together and the only real player I lost in the summer was James Perch to Wigan.

Wasn't too impressed with my signings if I'm being honest, brought in Kweuke for a cheap option upfront and realised I made an amateurish mistake when I found out he'd be going to the ACON. My gamble paid off however as Cisse, Ba, and Tiote were all spared for the tournament due to their nations not qualifying. Wellington Nem and Dennis Praet were my youngsters I decided to add to the team and Medhi Benatia came in to add some cover at the back and signed Sidney Sam to help out on the wings.

The most notable result before January was a 5-1 win at Old Trafford in only our second game with 4 goals coming from Cisse to add to his 2 goals at home to Swansea. Also home wins against City and Arsenal, with an away win to Sunderland helped us up into the top reaches of the table. Brought in Isco and a young Italian centre back on loan in Jan to help bolster things and to help with the loss of Williamson to Blackburn. Our performances somewhat dropped even though we were still getting the results. Europe was a disaster, I preferred to play the youngsters but games against Napoli, PSV and Academica were too much for them although we did give a good account of ourselves. Before a run of 7 easy-ish games we had Arsenal, City and Chelsea in a row. Picked up 4 points from them and lying in 2nd I thought we had a good chance of making up ground on United although being 7 points behind. Out of 21 points we only managed 12 and finished 7 points behind. Stand out players were Cisse with 26 goals and Ben Arfa was immense with 14 goals and 19 assists.

End of the season we had a clear out to get us ready for the Champions League. Out went, Colo, Jonas, Obertan, Marveaux, Simpson, Benatia, Sam and Harper to bag us £29m and a huge amount of the wages.

Brought in Admelison, Moussa Dembele, Vrsalijko, Papasthopolus, Felipe, Redmond and Jose Angel. My personal favourite is a guy called Giusseppe Bellusci who came in from Catania for £4.4m but is hugely impressing. Was only supposed to be back up but looks really good so far. Opening 4 games has seen us get just the 5 points but have had United and an Arsenal side bolstered by Llorente. Adam Campbell came off the bench to score two goals to hand us our only win of the season against Fulham away. He impressed in Europe scoring the winner against Marseille where former players Jonas and Colo are now. Other teams in the group are Dortmund and UCL champions Galatasary (??!!) So difficult group but should hope to scrape through.

Huge apologies on the amount of text, would have liked to use screenshots but used the steam picture capture thing and can't find them at all on my computer to upload and not even sure how you do on this forum anyway XD

You need to untick your selections in Specific Instructions, and just instruct those through shouts.

Unticking the defaults has a, seemingly to my previous detriment, a massive knock on effect.

Basically, un tick the deep, narrow, and quick to normal. Possibly revert to a control to get a balance you might want, and have a look around in the shouts in game to get the specific approach your looking for.

Jack, against the weaker teams i generally try not to over complicate things. I try to control the game rather attacking strategy and untick the specific instructions

Cheers boys.

Anyone else thought Santon could be trained to a decent AML?

Not AML' date=' but AMR, yeah I see that. He's stronger on his right foot than his left, so playing on the right your get the best from him, especially his crossing.

I've been training him as a winger for the last year or so now, and have been playing him on the right of my midfield.

Only tend to play him in the big games where I need a wing back option in my right of midfield, as I usually go with very attacking players there - but he plays as a defensive option in the Man City games, Real Madrid games in Europa League last season ahead of Mario Gotze and was great.

He's a very well rounded player, and capable of playing up and down either side.[/font']

Anyone have any tricks for getting the best out of adam campbell. he seems prolific for everyone but me lol. Ive got him as a poacher in front of dzagoev. His confidence is shot now because he just cant seem to score.

Screenshot of him would be good?

Tips - well nothing revolutionary; get him tutored as soon as possible, get his personality one more favorable to intensive training and game time - train him how you see fit and get him playing.

If you can create chances for him, he'll likely to be putting them away. He's a out and out poacher essentially, so you have to have your team set up to create for him, as he's not going to offer too much in build up.

For me, he's very, very quick, with great dribbling and agility - so he's very dangerous running at the last man (think Owen vs. Argentina 98'), so he gets a good amount of goals feeding from a through ball into him, and blasting past his defender. In and around the penalty area he's always a threat, and one on one he has a very high conversion rate.

Other than that, you may have just had hard luck with his PA, but saying that, even then he can become a top striker.

Finished the 1st season in 3rd place, behind the 2 Manchester teams. Spurs finished fourth, but again Chelsea won the CL, meaning for it must suck to be a Spurs fan.

I sacrificed the FA Cup and League Cup, allowing me to reach the semis in the Europa League.

Going through the off season, and so far my transfers have been:

OUT

Xisco (free)

Marveaux (3M)

Obertan (5M)

Ranger (1M)

Ben Arfa (30M)

Guti (5M)

Tiote (26M)

Ba (loan for a monthly fee of 1,1M)

IN

Destro and Cica (free)

Prestia (3M)

Emerson (3M)

Muniain (47M)

Ayew (47M)

+ a couple of regens.

I am still trying to get Gotze, but he is not willing to negotiate.

Players up for grabs next season include Ward-Prowse, Olinga, Pogba and Xavi (if only).

All of this gives me a strong squad, and if I can these few others, I should be set for a good few months.

I see some very strong regens coming through (alas, not for me), but are expensive to get.

Ayew and Munian for £94M :saywhatnow: Ben Arfa sold for £30M and you didn't even get profit on a replacement :saywhatnow:

Is Gotze interested in moving just yet? Is he under your 'filtered unrealistic targets' transfer targets? If so, and you've got a high enough reputation as a manager just yet you should be able to tap him up and draw his attentions to Newcastle relativly easy, that might even see him transfer listed.

That's what Chelsea seemed to do in my save, they unsettled him, and he demanded a transfer listed at Dortmund, for me to then ponce once listed.

Not a personal attack on you Weasel1976, but just generally don't understand people that sell the likes of Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Tiote. All very counter intuitive - especially when you can't even replace them in quality for the money you guys get. 'Raise transfer funds in the first season'? You don't need them, your get more than enough money once in CL, plus the caliber of player you can attract in the first window will greatley rise when you reach the Champions League.

I'd never go manage Everton, sell of Baines and Felliani; go to Napoli and sell Cavani and Hamsik; Dortmund, sell Lewandoski and Gotze.. These stars are surely what makes managing the club attractive. Trying to see it through a neutrals perspective, but still don't understand why you would want £30M for Ben Arfa for example, when your going to pay even more than that, and more in additional fees and wages to recruit an adequat replacement.

Bare in mind my values are in euros not GBPs, although not sure of the ex. rate used between the two.

I sold Tiote as he was getting too many red cards n my formation, and ended up costing me a number of points. Ben Arfa went out as he was not a top performer for me, and I wanted to look for a replacement. I sold Ba, Guti and Marveaux as they did not fit in to my structure.

As for Goetze, I may just have to wait another season, but by then I may have located a cheaper option.

Knocked out the CL in the QF again, Porto this time 3-2 aggregate defeat. More dissapointing by the fact I smashed holders Juventus 7-0 in the home leg of the previous round HBA scoring a hattrick. Four games to go, trailing City by 3 points with a game in hand, they just dropped points to United in the early kickoff, I proceeded to throw away a two goal lead to Villa who I can never seem to beat. Lpool (A), Blackburn (H), Arsenal (A) City (A) my final fixtures, so crunch game at the end. Mega disadvantage for me though, Arsenal on the Friday then two days latter the decider against City. Ive been done there, City knocked me out in the FA Cup yet still dont have as packed a final week as me.

I seem to be scoring alot of goals in my 4-2-3-1 tactic with a control strategy but does anyone have any advice for not conceding? most games i play even against weaker teams involve big score lines like 3-2, 3-3, 4-2 etc. i cant seem to keep clean sheets. i always get hit on the counter which is annoying.

What will happen if i play the control strategy but specify a deeper defensive line rather than pushing higher up (which its set to by default) ? will this mess the control strategy up?

If i can get this right i reckon i could win the title rather than finishing just in the top 4. I did win the champions league last season which was a miracle.

I am still going fantastically well in my save. Coming up to January now and I am still 2nd, behind Man City, yet to play them. My three main strikers Cissé, Ba and Guidetti have been firing on all cylinders and are setting the PL and EL alight. I'm giving my youngsters more games now, such as Bigirimana, Streete, Clark, Mario and Neil Taylor. In my most recent game I drew 1-1 at home to West Ham after Yohan Cabaye somehow contrived to miss 2 penalties in the first half. I replaced him at half time after that.

So after an average 1st season (finishing 5th), I thought that the squad wouldn't need too many changes. One thing I was certain of was that Cisse would leave to the highest bidder after only scoring 12 goals in 40 appearances all season. Eventually he left to Chelsea for £22.5m Other departures were Marveaux (£4.8m) and Ferguson (£3m). Abeid and Campbell left on loan to play more first team football this season, whereas Amalfitano, Gosling, Sammy and Tavernier went out on loan because I couldn't sell them. Shola's injury meant that I couldn't shift him either. However, I was more than happy with my signings. I used all the money I received to bring in Jovetic for £28.5m (Although not sure whether to play him as an IF or upfront). Then with the initial budget I was given I bought Clyne for £5.25m to now be completely happy with my defence for the next 5 seasons or more. The only other signing was to bring Carroll home for £3.5m.

The season has been poor so far, I went out in Europe in the knockout stages to Dinamo Moscow and out of the 14pts from 8 games I was aiming for, I only have 8. With such a large squad and so few injuries I've been changing the team every game, so I think now I'm going to have to settle on a strongest XI and stick with them solidly for a few games. At the moment I think it will be:

GK: Krul

RB: Clyne

LB: Santon

CB: Tomkins

CB: S.Taylor

DM: Anita

CM: Cabaye

AMR: Ben Arfa

AML: T.Ince

ST: Ba

ST: Jovetic

That leaves me with fantastic backup players like Solly, N.Taylor, Coloccini, Okore, Streete, Perch, Tiote, Bigi, Barkley, Vuckic, Carroll and Ademilson.

What preferred moves has everyone applied to Campbell? Currently got Places shots & moves into channels. Thinking about setting 'going round the keeper when 1on1', anyone had any luck with anything else?

If he already has places shots, then training him to round the keeper seems like it could possibly be a waste of training time, especially given that he already has high finishing. Depending on your tactics, training him to beat the offside trap could be useful, although that it only really if you play quite a few through balls, but it should see him get plenty of scoring chances

What preferred moves has everyone applied to Campbell? Currently got Places shots & moves into channels. Thinking about setting 'going round the keeper when 1on1', anyone had any luck with anything else?

I cant get campbell to score to be honest, not at the level everyone else is. So them prefered moves sound good to me. Any tips for defending jack since we both use the same strategy and formation? I ship quite a few goals a game but score plenty

hsw651.png

Here's another fantastic result from my team. 2-0 and a man down, and we still manage to get the win. Haris Vuckic off the bench getting the winner. We're through now, a point behind Napoli going into the final game. They entertain Braga while I have FC Admira Wacker Modling at home, hoping to snatch top spot.

Archived