FM13: Newcastle United - Alan Pardew and The Eight Year Plan.

tommonufc

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I am fully aware that I could have got higher prices - if I had played the first season, seen their values sky rocket and then sold I could have doubled by money....but that's kind of not the point of the experiment, I am not aiming at getting loads of money, it is to sell my non-English players to buy English players so I am ready for the first game of the season!

Ah right sorry... I missed that.... .. Didn't realise your aim there. ! no problem then... you probably got top mark for them at the start so thats fair enough.

best of luck with the season.

yep, have Campbell in a sub role so far, as I have a young side I'm trying not to burn them out so rotating the team quite a bit. Must say I am enjoying it - certainly don't have a strong squad but did get a bit bored of being able to get a world class squad in the first season and end up winning everything. Considering I've played this game since 1991 I think I am due a bit of a new challenge!

Yeah, you've literally given away some of your players. Each to their own though.

Surely you need to be playing Campbell week in, week out now, with Ba, Cisse gone? He has a lot more potential than Zaha and Ameobi.

Are you in for tutoring and developing any players, or just playing around with a different slant on a save? If you are you probably need to bring in some senior players quickly before time is wasted! I'd have a look, if you haven't already, at Taylor tutoring Streete for sure - but you definatly need someone to get the best from Butland, Campbell as they have incredible potential. Zaha from what I remember has some good stats, but poor mentals so he would also be prime candidate, along with Sammy Ameobi for good tutoring.

Have you played Marcus Maddison, Esteban Lopez and Roland Aarons at all? They all have the potential to be a decent Premier League players - and without the quality in front of them in the first team it would be a good chance to get game time in first season.

What type if any takeover have you guys experience? I'm just coming to the end of my first season and I hear that's the time any potential takeover occurs? I really don't want a tycoon takeover as silly as that sounds as i enjoy the challenge with Newcastle.

Is the big man shoe in to sell up in the summer is what I guess I'm asking?

Yeah, you've literally given away some of your players. Each to their own though.

Surely you need to be playing Campbell week in, week out now, with Ba, Cisse gone? He has a lot more potential than Zaha and Ameobi.

Are you in for tutoring and developing any players, or just playing around with a different slant on a save? If you are you probably need to bring in some senior players quickly before time is wasted! I'd have a look, if you haven't already, at Taylor tutoring Streete for sure - but you definatly need someone to get the best from Butland, Campbell as they have incredible potential. Zaha from what I remember has some good stats, but poor mentals so he would also be prime candidate, along with Sammy Ameobi for good tutoring.

Have you played Marcus Maddison, Esteban Lopez and Roland Aarons at all? They all have the potential to be a decent Premier League players - and without the quality in front of them in the first team it would be a good chance to get game time in first season.

Highlight all - offer to clubs 100% of value, kerching. Any leftovers, offer to clubs 75%, 50%...seriously I didn't lose any sleep over what I got for them!! I could have neg'd them, maybe squeezed another million here or there but who cares?!?

Reading this thread I'm sure some of you are having a manlove affair with Campbell. If it makes you feel better I'll start him in my next game ok? ;)

Highlight all - offer to clubs 100% of value, kerching. Any leftovers, offer to clubs 75%, 50%...seriously I didn't lose any sleep over what I got for them!! I could have neg'd them, maybe squeezed another million here or there but who cares?!?

Reading this thread I'm sure some of you are having a manlove affair with Campbell. If it makes you feel better I'll start him in my next game ok? ;)

Doesn't really make me feel better, no - but thanks anyhow. 'Manlove affair' care to point out how? Take a look around the threads on this forum, I'm pretty sure your garner similar sentiments with lots of players in lots of different teams - no man love, just somthing to be expected when posting in a club thread.

NUFC_logo.png

Season 4 (2015/16)

Back into the Champions League after last years second place. Will be hoping to get off to a good start in the league and stay in contention with Man City. Have strengthened the defence in pre-season, bringing in Nemanja Vidic for a season, and Kurt Zouma, whilst only selling one from the first team in Vurnon Anita. Hoping to get into the latter stages of the Champions League and domestic cups whilst winning the league!

Young Players

Jack Butland

Jak Anlwick

Shane Ferguson

Jores Okore

Reemie Streete

Alex Kitchen

Kurt Zouma

Leandro Bittencourt

Moritz Lietner

Mehdi Abeid

Gael Bigirimana

Roland Aarons

Adyran

Esteban Lopez

Javi Espinosa

Adam Campbell

Sammy Ameobi

Haris Vuckic

Beytullah Akkan *Turkish Regen*

Summer Transfers

Nemanja Vidic was just too good to turn down, still a beast of a center back despite being a tad slow. Have been accustomed to slow center backs, with Coloccini still excelling into his 30s. Iker Munian was another freebie, not too sure where he's going to fit into the side, as I have far too many attacking midfielders, but he was too good to pass up.

Only sold one from the first team, Vurnon Anita. Rejected bids of around £25M for him last season, but he didn't really feature too heavily since my move away from a back four, so decided to cash in on him as he entered his final 12 months of his contract. Nottingham Forest came calling for Sammy Ameobi, rejecting bids of £5M raising up to £8.5M! Coach reports suggest he has a lot more developing to do, and have got him in training to boost his finishing in hope he can be molded into a well rounded poacher. Juventus also came for Alberto Paloschi, rejecting bids of up to £9M.

8186512924_b8be452874_b.jpg

Zouma is definitely on my list for this save, never managed to get him ever on FM12 so going to push the boat out if needs be to nab him for Newcastle. Good business Tommo :thup:

I'm coming up to April 2013 now, and missed out on Paloschi as he decided to sign a new deal with AC Milan, gutted cos he looks an excellent tutor :( Still in all competitions, won the League Cup earlier on penalties against Stoke. Got Porto in the semi's of the Europa League and Fulham in the semi's of the FA Cup. In the league I'm 2nd, a point off Man Utd but we've got 2 games in hand so really it's mine to lose with 8 games left, 6 of which are at home :D

I'm about to start the 2019-2020 season, and done surprisingly well! A little update for those of you that find it interesting.

1. season: Won premier league with 74!! points and 60-41 goal difference. A crazy season in which all beat all.

2. season: Second in prem.

3. season: Won prem.

4. season: Second in prem. Won Ch.league

5. season: Won prem. Won Ch.league. Won club world cup.

6. season: Second in prem. Won club world cup.

7. season: Won prem.

I have switched tactic every season, but it's always based on 4-2-3-1. Always "balanced" and always "control" at home and against bottom half teams away. Always "defensive" against good teams away.

Have sold players for a total of £401m and bought for £220m, and picking up some great talents(even though they cost a lot in FM13). Found out that i can sell for large sums after i win Ch.league(Santon was sold with a heavy heart for £35m to City in 2017).

The last player from the original Newcastle squad was S. Taylor. He retired in 2019 and was a rock every season! He also managed to get 50 caps for England. Other players from the original squad that became huge players for me was Krul, Anita and Santon.

The other stars didn't really live up to their rep, so used them to get more complete players in. Gutted i didn't manage to make Adam Campbell a first-team player :(

Now this is the thing, and the main reason why i'm posting. Every season the tax have increased, but the last three seasons it has gone from £24m to insane £189,5m!!! Now all the money i've generated is gone, and i'm on my way to an ugly bankruptcy. Today SI have comfirmed that it's a bug they are looking at, but thought you guys should know. Not easy to see almost £200m drained from my account for no good reason...

So, what to do? I'm leaning towards pausing this save. I'm never gonna do so well again, and if i'm progressing Newcastle will be about £200m in debt when the next season is over :(

Zouma is definitely on my list for this save, never managed to get him ever on FM12 so going to push the boat out if needs be to nab him for Newcastle. Good business Tommo :thup:

I'm coming up to April 2013 now, and missed out on Paloschi as he decided to sign a new deal with AC Milan, gutted cos he looks an excellent tutor :( Still in all competitions, won the League Cup earlier on penalties against Stoke. Got Porto in the semi's of the Europa League and Fulham in the semi's of the FA Cup. In the league I'm 2nd, a point off Man Utd but we've got 2 games in hand so really it's mine to lose with 8 games left, 6 of which are at home :D

Paloschi's been pretty great for me - could well be a front line striker and get me goals, but I invariably use him off the bench - first season he scored 7 in 9(15), second season 10 in 8(8) and so far this season 3 in 1(4). He keeps badgering me to go out on loan, be transfer listed or this and that, because he's stuck behind Campbell; but he's very useful.

Kurt Zouma is already peeved about not playing enough games, and it's not even December. My back line of Bocchetti sweeping behind Vidic and Taylor has been largely very successful, although I'm still shipping too many goals; but Coloccini's inability to get rubbish despite being so slow is prolonging Zouma being sidelined, and that's not even to take into account Remie Streete! How on earth I'd ever manage with a back four I don't know!

Vidic has been a rock - returning to Manchester United a putting in a man of the match performance as I shut up shop, hit them on a break and won 1-0 with Gotze scoring in the 80th minute.

8188545185_b8bd00c668_b.jpg

Sodding Greeks :mad:

8189060743_3f48721a10_b.jpg

Edit European Hangover, what hangover? :D

8190179858_715115aff6_b.jpg8189098717_6628b0d5d5_b.jpg

City's first defeat of the season, and doubled their goals against column in one evening. Think this clash would have fitted into Sky Sports' 'Top of the table, Super-Sunday, Title Challengers Clash of the Century' category for sure. Leaves me two points behind now, so in position to ponce should Mancini drop his guard - although very doubtful; as can see them going on another unbeaten run until I visit the Etiaed mid April, game 34!

Round two next, Man City in the League Cup Quarters

Danny Simpson is awful! In first season and im ten days away from january and hes going! Steve taylor is performing there, any recommendations on a more natural RB? Dont think perch is good enough either. And a more natural AML when ba goes away for january, but due to lack of funds ill probably rotate Marveaux and Obertan, but Ober's crossing needs to drastically improve! One problem with newcastle is lack of depth, especially in first season.

EVERYONE.

Klamer made a point a few posts up but I've been talking on the SI tax thred for a bit now and its not worth continuing to play the game until a tax fix is issued.

the longer you play the higher the tax is hitting the club to the point where team are paying out hundreds of millions in tax so it ends up bankrupting the club.

I suggest everyone saves off their current games and waits for a fix before continuing

Have noticed this a lot with peoples transfers, not just in this thread, but in general.

Loaning out players in the first window will invariably have little to no affect on their development until they have the personality to develop themselves through regular football under AI training. Loaning out the likes of Bigirimana, Abeid, Sammy Ameobi isn't advisable - your much, much better of getting them tutored within the first season, before sending them out on loan. At Newcastle you've got some great tutors to make the club really viable to develop young players - so my suggestion for any one reading that would usually send out young players on loan, thinking that's the done thing, don't - get them tutored, keep an eye on their determination and then send them out to a club where they will play every week, ideally with top training facilities, and to a manager that has a good 'working with youngsters' or 'man-management' rating.

Just sold Shane Ferguson to Fiorentina :( Would have liked to keep him, but after offering him out, £10M for a player that just doesn't play any more was too good to turn down. Been very pleased how he's turned out this year, never got anything out of him in FM12, but he's been a reliable player for me when he's played at left back or left midfield.

8191718666_577630157b_b.jpg

Tommonufc, yeah thats what i done with adam campbell i got him tutored by Cisse and rather than loaning him out ive given him a few games at a young age, he played alot of my europa campaign and is deputising for cisse while he is at ACON, and done a very good job too got like 5 goals in 4games. But while cisse, ba and tiote were away at ACON i played poorly, draws and losses :thdn: which makes me think i have to strenghten at end of season in attack, but bringing in Bocchetti on a free :D so my defence will be alot stronger than this season, also need a natural right back, to give steve taylor competition.

Tommonufc' date=' yeah thats what i done with adam campbell i got him tutored by Cisse and rather than loaning him out ive given him a few games at a young age, he played alot of my europa campaign and is deputising for cisse while he is at ACON, and done a very good job too got like 5 goals in 4games. But while cisse, ba and tiote were away at ACON i played poorly, draws and losses :thdn: which makes me think i have to strenghten at end of season in attack, but bringing in Bocchetti on a free :D so my defence will be alot stronger than this season, also need a natural right back, to give steve taylor competition.[/quote']

Natural right back - Vurnon Anita played at right back for me, and very well too, when I played with a back four. Bocchetti is a very good signing, has been very reliable for me - invariably not an 8.0, but always a steady 7.0. Steven Taylor is best suited to a central role, and depending on your defensive set-up you'd probably be looking at Taylor and Bocchetti as your first two.

Had a look at any of the other young players in the U18's or squad at all?

Remie Streete im having tutored by Colo but he hasnt has any playing time yet. Have high hopes for him and Adam Campbell, you can see from when i first had him how far his attributes have improved. Yeah i might stick Anita there, but taylor is playing well at RB, when Bocchetti comes im going to have a strong defence. Colo, S Taylor, Bochetti and strandberg who has been my best CB

Just started a Newcastle save and decided that I'd do my best to try and develop the promising young players at the club. This meant that I only bought a few players- Okore, Solly, N.Taylor and Barkley (Swapped for Jonas). Overall I spent just under £10m on the four of them. Leaving the club were Elliot, Simpson, R.Taylor, Gosling, Obertan, Sammy(loan), Jonas, Xisco and Ranger. This brought in funds of around £13m. Going for a simple 4-4-2 with a DM and two advanced wingers, results have been steady so far with just a couple of 1-0 defeats to Spurs and Fulham by the end of September.

Vuckic has been the standout youngster so far, netting 6 times in 6 games in the League Cup and Europe. Bigi has been impressive as well when used, Campbell is inconsistent so far and Abeid/Amalfitano have yet to impress. I'm going to be using my second string in all of my European and Cup games so that they'll all hopefully get at least 10 starts this season.

cant seem to get any consistency with my newcastle team. Im playing mainly 4-2-3-1 wide. Brought in victor ficher to play on the left. Im using shouts and i dominate posession a fair bit but i just loose or draw games i shouldnt. cant seem to do well against the top teams either. anyway to turn this posession into clear cut chances?

Gutted, it all fell apart after january ended up finishing 9th! but still well within my objective i set at start of season. Think all i need to do is add strength in depth and then ill be challenging for Champions league next season! Need a decent striker for when Cisse goes to ACON.

Gutted' date=' it all fell apart after january ended up finishing 9th! but still well within my objective i set at start of season. Think all i need to do is add strength in depth and then ill be challenging for Champions league next season! Need a decent striker for when Cisse goes to ACON.[/quote']

Ademilson, he fitted straight in when Cisse went away for me in the first season. He may be young but by god can he finish!

Yes thanks for your advice Dodds i did try sign podolski because he didnt play a single league game for arsenal last season LOL! But he didnt want to come' date=' but Ademilson seems up for it and can get him for a bargain £4-5mil which is good because im on a tight budget[/quote']

Using him as a poacher is deadly!

So, after 2 plays on the demo, my new laptop came and so I started a full game save.

As always, first game loaded in Newcastle.

I used the skeleton of the tactics used in FM12, being a narrow 4-2-3-1.

The standard team being:

Krul (sweeper keeper)

Simpson

Coloccini

Taylor

Santon

Tiote (ball winning defensive midfielder)

Cabaye (defensive deep playmaker)

Ben Arfa (inside forward)

Ba (advanced playmaker)

Obertan (inside forward)

Cisse (advanced striker)

- the 2 inside forwards are marked as swapping positions during the game, as are the stiker and advanced playmaker.

I then went out and hired Lubos Michel as the DoF. He may not survive the cull come the end of the season though.

Next came the transfers.

- Firstly out went Elliot, followed by Simpson for 5M (prices in euros)

- Other loans included Ferguson, Abeid, Ranger and Campbell.

- Best piece of outgoing business was asking 12M for Guti and Fulham offering 850k per month loan fee and 10M end of loan clause.

- Incoming included Okore, Wellington Nem, Hiljemark, Mattheus, Berghuis, Dragovic, Adryan and Corchia.

21 games down, and we are 3rd, behind the two Manchester teams. We are scoring plenty, but letting in too many at the moment. Right now we have to see how we will cope without Cisse (EPL top scorer) for the ACoN. Our boy Cabaye is a top bloke as well, getting twice as many assists than anyone else in the league.

Currently in the January sales (half way through), and Marveaux has left on loan, whilst Doria, Romario and Isco have all joined.

At the end of the season we have Cica and Destro joining on free and Prestia joing for 3M.

High up on my wanted list includes:

- Luke Shaw and James Ward-Prowse (help keep up the numbers)

- Andre Ayew (if Tiote leaves - rumours are growing)

- Kiyotake, Gotze or Muniain (depending on value, availability and if they want to join)

- Dybala and Olinga

- Labyad

Unfortunately I was unable to get Dzagoev, as he signed a new contract on day 1.

am thinking of restarting my Newcastle save in FM 13, can anyone enlighten me on which reserve players and U18s are worth keeping (meaning they develop pretty well after a couple of seasons)? I wouldn't sell the obvious ones such as Vuckic, Adam Campbell, Abeid, Bigi and Shane Fergie. Other than those (on top of my head right now) I am planning to let go on loan or release the rest to make room for fresher, more potential youngsters to develop. Help, seniors?

am thinking of restarting my Newcastle save in FM 13, can anyone enlighten me on which reserve players and U18s are worth keeping (meaning they develop pretty well after a couple of seasons)? I wouldn't sell the obvious ones such as Vuckic, Adam Campbell, Abeid, Bigi and Shane Fergie. Other than those (on top of my head right now) I am planning to let go on loan or release the rest to make room for fresher, more potential youngsters to develop. Help, seniors?

Young players at the club I wouldn't loan out in the first year, and thus look to develop would be; Remie Streete, Jak Alnwick, Marcus Maddison, Esteban Lopez, Alex Kitchen, Rolando Aarons, plus the guys you've mentioned.

The rest, well you can keep them so they fill out your reserves and U18 sides, but wouldn't just loan or release them 'to make room', make room for who? Not going to sign a whole new U18 and reserve side are you!

Just if anyone is interested, there's a way to fix the tax bug that has been mentioned earlier. Basically what's happened is that there is a new regulation that comes into place from 2013 onwards where "corporation tax" is increased to 24%. However instead of just increasing it actually counts as a new tax, so the old one is still there aswell as the new one, so you're paying 2 lots of the same thing which amounts to just over double of what you were paying in the first season. Hope that makes sense :p

SI have fixed the problem but it's looking like it won't be out until the next patch, and it wo't be save game compatible. The fix does involve the use of FMRTE though, if anyone is interested just drop me a PM.

Just made it through the January transfer window. I tried to seal deals for young British talent early, using my limited budget to bring in Thomas Ince for £7m and James Tomkins for £5m + Mike Williamson. Quite happy with these moves as both have solid starting stats and can still be developed; first round of tutoring has just ended so I can redistribute my senior players in a month or two the tutor the ones most in need. It got to just before deadline day and I had been reliant on Vuckic and Campbell as my main strikers due to the two Demba's leaving for the ACON. Disaster struck as both were suffering injuries that lasted 2 weeks or more- so I panicked. Ended up snapping Rivaldo on a free (Well, he'll be a decent tutor for Abeid) and Ademilson for £5.25m. I realise the latter has a lot of potential, but I did plan on trying to make a completely British side, but he'll count as HG so I can get over that. The only other departures were Shola and Marveaux, both on loans with minimal fees and wage contributions. However, future fees of £1.7m and £5.25m will hopefully be activated at the end of the season to boost my funds.

At the moment I'm on course to finish comfortably in the top 7, although if I can find some form I could probably push into the top four. Out in the quarters of the League Cup to Man Utd and 3rd round FA Cup to Liverpool. I've got Young Boys in the 1st knockout round in Europe which I'm banking on progressing so that it'll be a minor boost to funds. Squad currently looks like:

GK: Krul, Alnwick, Harper

FB: N.Taylor, Santon, Solly, Anita (Can all play both sides)

CB: Coloccini, S.Taylor, Okore, Tomkins, Streete, Good

DM: Tiote, Anita, Perch (Suprisingly good)

CM: Cabaye, Barkley, Bigi

AMR/L: Ben Arfa, Abeid, Ince, Amalfitano

ST: Ba, Cisse, Vuckic, Campbell, Ademilson, Rivaldo

@tommonufc

Young players at the club I wouldn't loan out in the first year, and thus look to develop would be; Remie Streete, Jak Alnwick, Marcus Maddison, Esteban Lopez, Alex Kitchen, Rolando Aarons, plus the guys you've mentioned.

The rest, well you can keep them so they fill out your reserves and U18 sides, but wouldn't just loan or release them 'to make room', make room for who? Not going to sign a whole new U18 and reserve side are you!

actually i kinda am planning to release the rest of the deadwoods and sign a whole new set of youth players with detemination and work rate at least 11 plus decent positional attributes (minimum tackling of 11 for CD, pace of 11 for wingers and so on). I would like to maximize the use of my good facilities to develop those who are decent enough to be developed. My senior team would consist of just 24 players (more manageable according to Jose Mourinho), thus most of them would have to be able to play in a few positions. Reserve squad would be young players or back ups for the first teamers so they would regularly get games during League Cup and reserve games. All in all probably about 50 players among the 3 squads to keep everybody fit, happy and regularly playing (learn that from SFraser *RIP*)

That was the plan. haven't started reloading the game at all, just making a whole list of plans before starting one. Thanks for the response

First thing, I don't think your going to be able to sign a whole new squad of youth players, and secondly I wouldn't really bother with reserves.

Youth players don't come cheap, especially ones with any potential, and most won't want to move clubs anyway - so it's going to cost you an absolute fortune to get players of the specifications you've given to the club; plus, if a youth player is so highly rated, I wouldn't be putting him in the U18s!

Secondly, reserves, for me, are made up from first team players that need match fitness, or youth players too good for U18s. So I, personally, don't see the point in actually buying players to place in there.

2qtbiab.png

Here are my transfers for my first season as Newcastle boss. On deadline day I holidayed it as it usually takes an age to complete, and for some reason Damien Comolli went mental and brought in four more players, including winger Nolito despite me playing a 4-1-2-1-2 formation. I sold Ben Arfa mainly to raise transfer funds, and tbh I would've rather got north of £20m for him but £18m will do just fine. I won my first game of the season 4-2 at home to Sunderland, with a brace from Cissé and a goal each from Wellington Nem and Jovetic on their debuts. Also knocked Motherwell out of the Europa League in the Playoff, but lost 2-0 at Wigan after Davide Santon was sent off.

I'm pretty optimistic for the coming season in honesty, I have Reading now, might play Guidetti and Cissé up top as Ba has been *****.

8198761815_7111a2ea78_b.jpg

Nearing the end of the 2015/16 season, and still in Man City's trail in the league. A couple of occassions they've dropped points and I have too, meaning I'm unable to close the gap. So going into the three games of the season I need them to drop some points at some stage, and hope that I can pick up nine from nine.

Into the Europa League semis, with a Second Leg away at Real Madrid to decide if I reach the final or not.

My Results/Fixtures.

8199852800_78874e77f1_b.jpg

Man City Fixtures

8199853226_78a54110b9_b.jpg

2015 season was crazy. Won the league and won the CL after a final against Barcelona where we barely had a shot on target but managed to park the tanks and scrape a hugely undeserved 2-1 :-) Gaston Ramirez was amazing for me over the season as was wonderkid Drazen Skocibusic. Cisse bangs them in for me week in, week out. Ben Arfa was fans' player of the year. Steven Taylor isn't the hot headed liability we sometimes see in real life and, if anything, has been better than Collo in the game. My squad is pretty thin but we've had had no serious injuries. It seems like broken ribs and arms have replaced the fragile lower limbs of previous FM versions which is fine by me -- they heal much faster.

The bad news is that the players' wage demands went mental and as a result I've had to offload Jonas, Vucick, Sow and Cabaye. Got €18M for Sow and €30M for Cabaye but he's very hard to replace in a deep lying playermaker role. With the money I've signed Jovetic (who was great for me in FM12 so fingers crossed) and Erik Lamela, dropped Belhanda into Cabaye's role and signed Oskar Hiljemark to provide a rotation option.

Only one player up front means only one striker needed (plus cover) and they tend to be the most expensive in terms of fees and wages so it's an economical formation to play.

Lots of talented kids signed up too; spent AGES (and lots of €) on scouting so high hopes there. Campbell and the others in my game weren't up to much so they've almost all been moved on.

And who'd have believed it: Perchinho has survived all the squad culls to survive as backup RB/anchor man and even got a cameo role in the CL final to shore things up in the last 10 minutes of containment and panic. Perch v Messi? Game on!

@tommonufc What formation etc do you employ with your team? You seem to have a lot of success with it.

Formation would be a 3-5-2 -

Krul/Butland

Taylor/Okore --- Vidic/Zouma --- Bocchetti/Streete

Gotze/Santon ----- Dzagoev/Leitner ----- Cabaye/Tiote ----- Ayew

Ben Arfa/Isco

Munian ---- Campbell/Paloschi

Subs/Others; J.Butland, L.Bittencourt, H.Vuckic, J.Espinosa, M.Abied, Adryan, Adelmison, E.Lopez, R.Aarons

Pretty attacking set-up, is made more defensive with two wingers that have a good workrate and can track back to form a 5 in defence when needed. Not really a set-up that is out for possession, build up is pretty direct, but far from route one. Have really found a back three to work, with me rarely susceptible to wingers having lots of space to cross in.

In the big games, such as my next fixture away to Real Madrid, I'll drop the wingers back into wing backs, and a center back into Libero sweeper, and drop into a flat midfield three. Wing backs would be Azplicueta on the right, with Santon on the left. Midfield would usually see Tiote brought in, with Cabaye and Ayew brought centrally. Ayew is great in these games, I set him up to run with the ball at every opportunity and can create havoc. As well as this, you won't find too many midfields with such high workrate!

2015 season was crazy. Won the league and won the CL after a final against Barcelona where we barely had a shot on target but managed to park the tanks and scrape a hugely undeserved 2-1 :-) Gaston Ramirez was amazing for me over the season as was wonderkid Drazen Skocibusic. Cisse bangs them in for me week in, week out. Ben Arfa was fans' player of the year. Steven Taylor isn't the hot headed liability we sometimes see in real life and, if anything, has been better than Collo in the game. My squad is pretty thin but we've had had no serious injuries. It seems like broken ribs and arms have replaced the fragile lower limbs of previous FM versions which is fine by me -- they heal much faster.

The bad news is that the players' wage demands went mental and as a result I've had to offload Jonas, Vucick, Sow and Cabaye. Got €18M for Sow and €30M for Cabaye but he's very hard to replace in a deep lying playermaker role. With the money I've signed Jovetic (who was great for me in FM12 so fingers crossed) and Erik Lamela, dropped Belhanda into Cabaye's role and signed Oskar Hiljemark to provide a rotation option.

Only one player up front means only one striker needed (plus cover) and they tend to be the most expensive in terms of fees and wages so it's an economical formation to play.

Lots of talented kids signed up too; spent AGES (and lots of €) on scouting so high hopes there. Campbell and the others in my game weren't up to much so they've almost all been moved on.

And who'd have believed it: Perchinho has survived all the squad culls to survive as backup RB/anchor man and even got a cameo role in the CL final to shore things up in the last 10 minutes of containment and panic. Perch v Messi? Game on!

Nice stuff :thup: What was the story with Campbell? Any of the youth players still kicking around for you.. Always interested to know how others have faired as I seem to have done quite well - even making use of Alex Kitchen, Roland Aarons and Esteban Lopez.

I'm in the process of trying to develop Kitchen, Aarons, Lopez and Satka but none of them are looking that good. My assistant rates Satka the highest at 3 stars, with Kitchen only 1.5 stars :(. I do have 3 top notch Italian regens (5 stars) who are looking awesome at 16.

Aarons at the moment is rated 3 star potential, likewise with Lopez - both have decent attributes here and there, but just awful mental stats that would make them Premier League quality. Kitchen looks to be a decent Championship center back, two star.

Have only had one decent youth graduate in four seasons, this year getting a striker who is rated three star potential.

Nice stuff :thup: What was the story with Campbell? Any of the youth players still kicking around for you.. Always interested to know how others have faired as I seem to have done quite well - even making use of Alex Kitchen, Roland Aarons and Esteban Lopez.

If the game's like previous years there's probably a fair degree of randomness in the initially determined abilities of most young players. I didn't get lucky with this save; no real first team potential in the ranks. I've still got Bigirama, Kitchen and Cambell on the books but out on loan and hopefully away permanently. They've all had plenty of good coaching and first team action at carefully selected loan clubs but they'll never be top class which is what I need to have another run at the league and Europe. I'd rather spend a few million filling the reserves & U18s with potential 5 star players than hang onto players that I know will never be stars.

Archived