Weakened teams in cup games?

Am noticing that in the early rounds of league/FA cup, when I've come up against decent teams - they always put their full strength team out? Anyone else noticed this? In FM 12 I thought it was realistic that a lot of the bigger clubs would put out youngsters and squad rotate as we see in real life in these competitions.

The one thing that ruined FM12 for me was the fact the big sides hardly EVER fielded a proper side, this went for finals, rival matches. One side would always have a useless side of youngsters and reserves. But not only was this the FA and League Cup but also it was all domestic cups in the game for every nation. I could over look that for the League Cup, but not the FA Cup (Or the rest of the main domestic cups in game)

So, I glad to hear that the AI has been sorted. I can deal with trying to topple a big side, makes the win more worthy.

Am noticing that in the early rounds of league/FA cup, when I've come up against decent teams - they always put their full strength team out? Anyone else noticed this? In FM 12 I thought it was realistic that a lot of the bigger clubs would put out youngsters and squad rotate as we see in real life in these competitions.

I think it is overstated that big clubs use youngsters in club competitions. The media might say that they are sending youngsters when in reality they might be allowing 2-4 kids to play and have a younger bench perhaps.

Take a look at the Tottenham team meeting league One Carlisle in this years Carling Cup http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19645193. They still have Gylfi Sigurðsson, Clint Dempsey, Huddlestone, Vertonghen and Dawson in the starting lineup and Defoe, Sandro, Walker and Lennon on the bench. Yes they have some younger players in the squad but we are talking about meeting a club two leagues lower in the early stages of the Carling cup.

Arsenal have been noted doing a lot of this but in the same round, again against a League one team http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19645217 ( although perhaps a stronger one ) use many players that we consider starting eleven or rotation players we wouldn't be surprised to see play in a Premier league battle.

In my opinion big teams should play some youngsters, at least in the early stages of the Carling cup ( less in the FA cup ), but not only youngsters, also starting players and rotation players.

Archived