Sports Interactive Community
Jordanknox

Signing young players (FM 13 Beta)

For years my whole gameplan on fm is to sign promising youngsters and turn them into worldbeaters. Has anybody found this extremely difficult on the beta? My scouts have found a lot of quality players but the AI just wont negotiate on any of them. I have a shortlist of around 40 players that look good but my scouts will not give a ball park sale value on any of them and every bid just gets rejected. Is this a bug?

The way it should be imo, it was way too easy to buy a team of very good prospects, who would then win everything before turning 23.

Much better the way it is.

Well, yes and no, hursty2.

Yes, on the one hand, you're right, it should be a little harder buying up Barcelona's next great hopes.

However, bottom of the rung, 20th in Serie A teams should probably not be asking for 40m euro for a 15 year old.

That's mainly been a problem at that age range, though (14-16), I've managed to buy some highly scouted players for 'reasonable' sums (16-18m pounds) after they hit 18...

Stuff like that and what I imagine is them making scouting reports less perfectly accurate (haven't played enough to know for sure, but there is more variance) is good, not bad. It's been way too easy to build a young core in FM.

Oxlade-Chamberlain cost Arsenal twelve million pounds - if a club in a similar financial position to Southampton is pressured to sell a similarly special prospect, they should be charging way closer to fifteen or twenty than two or three. If teams are charging even more than that, it still kind of makes sense, as the FM player has far more accurate information about how a kid will turn out (20/20 scouting reports) than real managers do.

sterling 500 000 then more if he does certain things. ox was already a gd player and walcot. but the game wants 30 odd million for a 15 yo or 16 yo whos not done anything and plays for southend.

I'm in agreement. This, coupled with the terrible defending in matches, has caused me to revert back to my trusty FM11 for now. Talk about killing the enjoyment.

This is maybe true. But on the other hand, many promising new Regens are not offered contracts by their clubs immediately and you can grab them with cost <1m.

Yep, but if that is the case at least it feels a bit less like cheating. Of course in an ideal world the clubs should be getting these lads on proper contracts quicker, but as we see it isn't always like that in real life either.

Stuff like that and what I imagine is them making scouting reports less perfectly accurate (haven't played enough to know for sure, but there is more variance) is good, not bad. It's been way too easy to build a young core in FM.

Oxlade-Chamberlain cost Arsenal twelve million pounds - if a club in a similar financial position to Southampton is pressured to sell a similarly special prospect, they should be charging way closer to fifteen or twenty than two or three. If teams are charging even more than that, it still kind of makes sense, as the FM player has far more accurate information about how a kid will turn out (20/20 scouting reports) than real managers do.

With add ons it was pretty much £15 million, in fact in game I just got another £1.5 million from Arsenal. Even when we were struggling financially we sold Gareth Bale for £12 million. We have luke Shaw who hasn't played a league game yet and we have reportedly turned down bids of over £6 million.

You can't really expect decent teams to sell top prospects for peanuts, it's not realistic. Unless the player's contract is running out, the club is in financial troubles or the player is transfer listed or wants to leave. A top prospect regen shouldn't be leaving and the club doesn't want to sell. Monitor the player for a year or two, if he is for a low league club and starts getting first team football he'll jump at a chance to leave to a bigger club and will want to leave.

However, I signed two 4 and half star rated potential, 17 year old, Brazilians for £1.5 million combined. Both have good enough stats to play first team championship football. I have another 4 on my list that have minimum fees of around £4 million. Both had low minimum fee release clauses. You can still buy cheap youth, but you have to find the right players, you just can't hoover up all the talent for peanuts, which is realistic.

Yeh I much prefer it now.

In FM12 I had no self control on the rare occassion I played as a big team. I would send my scouts out and sign every player they said could be leading star for the division, basically always for only £1 million over 48 months. Then loan them out year on year, sell the ones who weren't progressing for a lot of profit, keep the amazing ones, rinse repeat. I know the simple answer is to simply not do that, but its not easy.

This year is much mroe realistic as there are much fewer players with whom you can do this, i.e. only the ones where the situation realistically dictates, e.g. tiny club or youth player out of contract (i.e. Paul Pogba, both for Le Harve > Man U and Man U > Juve)

I think that anything greater than 20M is definitely excessive and it they should probably be asking for upwards of 5M. Then the AI should hammer on a load of clauses/monthly payments.

12M for a very good young player makes you think twice about paying it and the ones that are better than that (wonderkid standard) should demand up to 20M unless they're a tiny south american side.

True enough they should be asking for clauses and future payments reaching that kind of 12-20 mil range, rather than up front

Exactly, it is beneficial for both clubs and is probably the way most sides operate.

'If he does well and makes it with us, you get a big payout.'

'If you make a massive profit out of him, we want some.'

'Alright then, but if he's rubbish you're getting nothing!'