FM 2013: Manchester United Team Guide : Who needs Batman when we have Robin!

matty2323

Thanks for the positive feedback on my post. Here's some more details on the tactic that I've developed.

Firstly, the results at the moment...

ManchesterUnited_FixturesSchedule.png

I know I haven't had any notable opposition except Chelsea but it's the consistency & control I like. Notice the lack of goals conceded and although I am not thrashing teams I am VERY consistent. Also with shouts I try and control the game once I am 2-0 up; I regularly get 60%+ possession. In fact v Blackburn I got 72%!!! This conserves player energy. Especially important as I am operating with a smaller squad. At the moment I have Van Persie, Rooney, Moutinho & Cleverley all out but I just beat Besiktas 3-1 - they scored despite 1 shot, 0 on target (a P Jones own goal!) I am bringing in Adryan, Henriquez, Powell, Xhaka all into the first team.

Now, the tactic...

ManchesterUnited_TacticsTeam.png

This was the team that beat besiktas at home - as you can see very inexperienced. I tweak the tactic for each game. Sometimes making the BPD a DM or pushing the WB up to Defensive Wingers.

The most important individual instructions are the 'kagawa' role... It's always Kagawa with Cleverley coming in for cup games etc

ManchesterUnited_TacticsPlayer.png

This position has yielded following results for Kagawa. This is after a painful first season where he never seemed happy or up for it...

ShinjiKagawa_OverviewAttributes.png

Finally, just want to share some of my top youngsters at the mo...

Nick Powell making the step up into first team seamlessly. I want him to become a first choice CM by the time he's 21...

NickPowell_OverviewProfile.png

Luis Campos - yet to play for me but this guy will be my next DLP replacing his compatriot Moutinho.

LuisCampos_OverviewProfile.png

Sascha, what can I say? I think you're going to be a star. Think he can replace Van Persie. He's only JUST turned 15; feels kinda wrong. Am going to give him as much game time as poss. Think I can make him a regular starter by the time he's 17.

SaschaIbrahimovic_OverviewProfile.png

Adrian Dobinson. I had to wrestle Arsenal off him. He's kinda like Rooney crossed with Beckham. Might turn him into playing just off the striker in the Kagawa role. I think him and Sascha have a bright future together!

AdrianDobinson_OverviewProfile.png

If you want any more info on my tactic, please let me know.

Thanks

Lawrence

Could you upload your tactic mate?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished my third season, won the Premier League for a third consecutive season and finally got my hands on the Champions League after beating City in the Final :)

Summer Transfer Window has just opened and I've splashed the cash on this little lad:

LionelMessi_OverviewAttributes.png

£161million well spent!!!!

Just started my new game and the transfer just shut and my team looks like this.

zfX4M.jpg

Below is the transfer history.

DKRPQ.jpg

Very pleased how things went transfer wise. Got Fellaini for a stright swap with Anderson and Vidal only cost me 10mil + Valencia. Jovetic & Herrera for 15mil a piece I think is an excellent bit of business, although I did have to pay the buyout clause for Dede.

I don't see me doing any business in January unless Rooney and RvP fail to earn the wages they are on. Maybe sell Carrick as I have Rubben Jenssen for backup.

Played Man City away first game and got a 0-0 draw which I was pleased about, all 3 defenders played brilliant. 2nd game I beat Swansea at home 2-0.

Adrian Dobinson. I had to wrestle Arsenal off him. He's kinda like Rooney crossed with Beckham. Might turn him into playing just off the striker in the Kagawa role. I think him and Sascha have a bright future together!

AdrianDobinson_OverviewProfile.png

You need to work on his first touch....

Anyone have a working tactic after the patch? I find that things that started to look ok before patch, no longer works.. How you guys can win the league/champions league etc at the moment is beyond me... Im trying to use a BBM, anyone had any luck this?

Anyone have a working tactic after the patch? I find that things that started to look ok before patch, no longer works.. How you guys can win the league/champions league etc at the moment is beyond me... Im trying to use a BBM, anyone had any luck this?

I'm fairly certain it was just a hotfix and there were no changes to the match engine so it shouldn't effect results.

So, I have reached the half season. You have already seen the transfers from the start of the season and you have seen the results from the start of the season.

Results:

xYH0G.png

Champions League:

anLYE.png

In the first knockout round I'll be playing against Barcelona. The first match will be played in Spain.

League:

YH8NV.png

A bit of almost everything:

oemGo.png

I'll be playing against Leyton Orient in the 3rd round of the FA Cup at home.

The Capital One Cup isn't important to me in the first season, so I just used players who are not In Superb Condition, Fully Fit, Match Fit and who don't have 100% for Match Fintess.

In the semi final I'll be playing against Everton. The first match will be played in Liverpool and I will continue with my policy.

There won't be any transfers in January.

If anyone wants to see any screenshot then just let me know. :thup:

End of season 4 review

Transfers

I brought in Neymar to get the goals, Mesut Ozil to set them up and Jan Kirchhoff to prevent them at the other end.

High profile sales included the aging Robin Van Persie to Monaco, Jonny Evans to West Ham and Nani to Atletico Madrid.

Domestic Competitions

We had a good run in both domestic cups, reaching the Semi-finals of the FA cup before being knocked out by City and winning the Capital One Cup with a 3-0 victory over Burnley at Wembley. After losing the league title on the last day of last season we weren't going to make the same mistake again and were crowned champions at the end of March after racing away from the chasing pack. We ended on 98 points although it could of been a lot more as I just played youth in the last 6 games, scoring 93 and conceding just 18.

Champions League

We were handed a decent group which consisted of Schalke, Besiktas and Olympiakos and sailed through it, topping the group with 13 points. The first knockout round saw us come up against fallen Italian giants AC Milan, we took them apart at the San Siro with Neymar scoring all the goals in a 4-0 victory. The 2nd leg I fielded a weakened team as the job was pretty much done but the youngsters still came away with a 2-1 home win. The Quarter finals produced an all-English tie with Tottenham, the first leg was held at Old Trafford and after suffering a 2-0 defeat I thought the dream was over. In the 2nd leg at White Hart Lane we were much improved and managed to win 2-0 taking it to extra time where we scored two more to advance to the next round. The Semi-finals gave us another domestic opponent in Arsenal and the away leg proved to be challenging but we escaped with a 2-2 draw giving us the advantage going into the home leg. Knowing that a victory at Old Trafford would send us through to the final seemed to motivate the players very well as they demolished Arsenal 5-0 as Mesut Ozil ran the show and claimed for man of the match award for 2 goals and 2 assists. Then came what shall now be referred to as 'The battle of the San Siro' as we faced local rivals Manchester City in the final. Both teams had chances early on but it was City who drew first blood as David Alaba scored a comical own goal. Shortly before half time we had a good spell of sustained pressure and it eventually paid off when Ronaldo tied the game at one a piece. At half time I told the players I wasn't happy with their performance and it seemed to work as we came out strongly in the second half with Neymar notching to put us in the lead for the first time. I made my last substitution after 70 minutes bringing on Antonio Valencia to freshen the side up but disaster struck as he went off injured only 2 minutes later leaving us with 10 men for the remainder of the game. Things then got worse as Edin Dzeko rose highest from a corner to knock in the equaliser. It looked like City would have the advantage heading into extra time as my 10 men were tiring until the last minute of normal time Cristiano Ronaldo took control of the ball on the halfway line, ran past 3 defenders and unleashed an unstoppable drive into the top corner leaving Joe Hart with no chance. If anyone ever doubted him as a big game player they were made to eat their words as he claimed the man of the match award on the biggest stage of them all as we held on to be crowned European champions for the 4th time in our illustrious history and complete a famous treble.

Squad

This is the batch of players that delivered the seasons incredible success (R = regen):

GK - De Gea / Amos

DR - Jones / Smalling / Marcio ®

DC - Hummels / Kirchhoff

DC - Vidic / Excoffier ®

DL - Alaba / Winstanley ®

MC - Vidal / Powell

MC - L Bender / Lye ®

AMR - Rooney / Valencia

AMC - Ozil / Isco / Kagawa

AML - Ronaldo / Rothwell ®

ST - Neymar / Henriquez / Grafite ®

The star performers were Jan Kirchhoff who ended with the highest average rating of the squad, Neymar who scored an impressive 45 goals in all competitions, Nemanja Vidic who is still as solid as ever despite being 34 years old now, Cristiano Ronaldo who scored 20 and assisted another 15 and Mesut Ozil who broke the premier league assist record with 21 and also contributed with 9 goals.

Regens

2012-11-08_00004.jpg

I picked up this guy from AZ Alkmaar in January. I assumed he was fully developed with those stats but he still has 2 stars of potential to fill.

2012-11-08_00005.jpg

Signed this lad when he was 15 and he has developed wonderfully, with another 2 stars to fill I think he could become the best centre back in the world.

2012-11-08_00003.jpg

This lad came through the youth system in the first season. He has an odd distribution of stats so not sure how I will train or use him but he has great potential and has performed well when called upon

2012-11-08_00002.jpg

Roy came through at the same time as Alec and despite having 5 star potential I didn't think he looked that good but when he when I checked on him midway through last season I couldn't believe how much he had progressed. He has already won his first of many caps for England and could well be a starter for me next season.

2012-11-08_00009.jpg

This future star came through the academy last season and I was shocked when I saw him. Possibly the best regen I've ever had come through the system of the club I'm at. So excited to develop him, he is already the clubs youngest ever goalscorer.

2012-11-08_00010.jpg

Right back is the only position I've had issues with so far over my tenure so when I spotted this gem I offered him a contract straight away. The best part is the club I poached him from was none other than Leeds United.

Future plans

I have Yann M'Vila arriving on a free transfer to replace the outgoing Darren Fletcher who wanted a new challenge and couldn't be convinced to stay. We are still bankrolled by the Romanian tycoon so I have just tied up a deal for Lionel Messi. The prospect of him, Ronaldo, Neymar and Ozil as a front 4 is simply mouthwatering. Other than that I won't be doing much more transfer business unless some more amazing regens are unearthed. I will now concentrate on developing the outstanding youngsters whilst the galactico's defend the league and european titles.

Anybody having good results using 3 at the back ? ive been playing with 3 at the back for half a season now with mixed results. We are currently 2nd behind City. We have only conceded 9 goals with 23 games played, City have played a game less and conceded 19 !! However we arnt winning enough games, many games i have played ie, Norwich away, west ham home and villa away this last month and drawn them all, either 0-0 or 1-1. So even though i delighted how we are defending, we arnt creating enough clear cut chances. anybody using 3 at the back for united, be intersting how well its doing for you. especially you lol22 how is your formation doing ? my kagawa role wasnt working for me so opted for two up front but still not producing the goods.

Cheers

Hi

Thought I'd post a quick update... I am into February now and my season is hotting up...

I somehow fell 4 games behind Citeh due to Club World Cup commitments etc. With my attempts to save on wages I had the feeling that my squad might fall apart. At one time I had Moutinho, Cleverley, Rooney & Van Persie all out but I was pleased with contributions from Xhaka, Powell & most of all Welbeck! So going into a must win game at home to Citeh I was 9 points with 3 games in hand. With fixture congestion etc it was a must win so I played my first team in my signature 3-5-1-1 formation and played at full tempo to catch them off guard. 3-0 up after 14 minutes I think it worked. It could have been more but I was happy with the win. Kagawa scored the pick of the bunch with a 30 yard run through the centre of their defence

ManUtdvManCity_PitchFull.png

That game also saw Thiago make his debut after his £25m move from Barcelona. I felt I needed reinforcement in midfield with a long term injury to Cleverley and niggles affecting Adryan & Moutinho I was short of quality in there. I like his stats a lot and I think he'll fit my style of play well. Other January wheeling and dealing saw Smalling go to Chelsea for £12m (was about to double his wages and give Fulham £3m if he played one more game!) & Hernandez to Real for £17.5 - I thought he was stunting the growth of Henriquez who is potentially a better & more rounded player. I have to say both these departures were with a heavy heart as I am big fans of them in real life.

So after a few more games including getting thru to League Cup final, this is the situation in the league. My games in hand come in the next three weeks against reasonably average opposition so I hope I can come out of these leading the race for the title even if it is on goal difference. please note how few goals conceded. In fact before I drew 2-2 with Newcastle, I had only conceded 1 at home!!

EnglishPremierDivision_OverviewStages.png

In terms of feedback on the 3-5-2 / 3 at the back / wing back experiment here are a few observations.

1. Tweak it. I have tweaked the formation for EVERY game depending on opposition shape / strategy.. Below is example of how I line up in an easy home game where they play a flat 4-5-1 or 5-4-1. This way I get an additional forward stretching the play and one of the 3 CBs comes out of defence.

http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/lol2213/media/ManchesterUnited_TacticsOverview-2.png.html

2. It's good for domination but not LOADS of goals. This tactic is / can be stable and consistent. Used properly you won't concede many but you may not score as many as you like. I have scored 2.3 / game this season, conceding 0.6 / game. My absolute ideal is 2.5 / 0.5 and I think if I can improve my squad I will get to that.

3. Picking the right players in the right position is key. This is kind of a given in every formation but especially here because so many of the roles are quite stylized to individual set of attributes. As I said when I started this experiment, the main driver was the fact that I had 5 good centre backs and only 2 'proper' wingers, of which 1 (Valencia) can play wing back. I've retrained Nani to be back up to Kagawa.

All in all I like the tactic and will continue to work on it before posting it up to download. The main thing I like is the control of the game. If you set out correctly you can control possession even in tough games such as Man City, Arsenal or Chelsea away. The two groups of 3 in the middle retain the ball for fun. The only issue can be scoring. If Kagawa and/or Van Persie are off form it can be a dry day so I just try and keep them fit and happy and Danny / Angelo / Luis warmed up and ready on the touchlines!

Also I have still been switching back to a back 4 where I think its needed. I like to vary tactics to key the AI on its toes. It's like Fergie said the other week about our new 'diamond' midfield, a tactical surprise can give you the upper hand!

Finally, I got this regen coming on a free end of season. Any feedback on him would be appreciated - do you reckon he'll make the grade for me? I'm pretty hopeful I reckon he could make a very good standard wing back

NikicaStimac_OverviewProfile.png

I also got Honda coming at the end of season. Free transfer + 27k per week I couldn't resist. He will be perfect Sushi Eating partner / back up for Kagawa.

One played i COULD resist the temptation of a free signing was Paul Pogba though. Good stats but I take my real life grudge against the guy who turned his back on us..

Really hoping I can win some silverware again this season so that I get some decent money in the transfer window. I am happy with the base of my squad but I have to sign another striker - Van Persie's injuries and Rooney now playing as CM means I feel I need a new talisman. I'm thinking Lewandowski - any feedback on him at United? I like his stats and age - he looks like a complete striker and at 24/5 should be just entering his prime. I also want to sign Gotze but that's a long shot with my finances!

Any feedback / comments appreciated.

Urgh, couple of terrible results this morning. Lost 4-2 to City at OT, went to Stoke and won 4-0 but then lost 3-1 to Newcastle at St. James'. All in the league, my lead at the top of the table has been slashed to 5 points.

On top of that, Ronaldo and Nani are getting moody with my aggressive team talks.

@lol22

Nice writing!!

Im in mid season 1. Llorente is coming for free. Currently with 4-3-3 and 4-5-1. So only one striker at one time. Should sell RVP? He's injury is too hard for me with 180k wages.

I sold RVP to Juventus for £24m in January as i'd gotten annoyed by his injurys - re-invested the money bringing in Cavani for £20m (he was transfer listed) and ended up with Cavani being signing of the season :)

the most important games in season one (almost in january)

Man utd - Chelsea 4-1

Dortmund - Man utd 2-0

Spurs - Man utd 1-3

Liverpool - Man utd 2-1

Man utd - Dortmund 3-0

Man city - Man utd 0-3

Man city - Man utd ( Capital cup , playing second choice players) 1-2

Man utd - Arsenal 3-0

Aston Villa - Man utd 0-3

Currently 37 points out of 48 , scored 37 goals and conceded 10

Top players : Hummels, Bale , Jones (MC) , Fellaini , Valencia !!

I've manged to get myself two young CB's in my team who are 6'7" and 6'8" and both have jumping of 20. Needless to say I do not lose aerial battles and they are unstoppable at corners.

Height was not something I ever really considered before, but It certainly makes a difference, and I'm pleased that overall the stats for regens seem more balanced than before so far for me at least.

@lol22

Nice writing!!

Im in mid season 1. Llorente is coming for free. Currently with 4-3-3 and 4-5-1. So only one striker at one time. Should sell RVP? He's injury is too hard for me with 180k wages.

I seriously regret not signing Llorente on a free and cashing in on Van Persie. Van Persie is great for me when fit & happy but his injuries mean it is difficult to justify 180k pw. Also if you leave it a season or so his value will drop rapidly.

How is your season going?

RVP hasnt been that good in mine. 9 goals in 17 games. Im in December now though and 5 points clear of City with a game in hand. Won every game in the league bar 2. Chelsea are in the relegation zone in my mine. Something like 1 win all season.

I hope they get relegated so I can sign half there team.

I got Gotze for 15.25 mill and Nani at the start.

I decided at the start of the season to try and stick with the majority of the squad we currently have and only bring in younger players that can be used for years to come. The oldest player bought in was Fellaini but at 24 he still has plenty of time left in him and was excellent all season. I started the season using a 4-2-2-2 formation which was ok but a little inconsistent. I decided after a terrible performance away to Basel in the champs league that i would switch tactics and after reading up on the tactics forum about the advantages of wing backs and 3cb i decided to switch to a 3-3-2-2 tactic that i created which would prove a little more consistent throughout the remainder of the season although far from perfect.

Line Up (1st choice / backup)

GK: De Gea / Lindegaard

DRC: Vidic / Smalling

DC: Jones / Ferdinand

DLC: Papadopolous / Evans

WBR: Rafael / De Sciglio

WBL: Alaba / Evra

DMC: Fletcher / Carrick

AP / BBM: Kagawa / Cleverley / Powell

BWM: Fellaini

Treq: Rooney / RVP if rooney unavailable / Wellington Nem

Adv Fwd: Van Persie / Hernandez / Welbeck

The change to this formation was the reason behind selling Nani and Valencia in January as they were not needed and with the club losing money they would fetch good transfer fees to help with the finances.

Transfers In:

K Papadopolous (DC) £16m

M Fellaini (MC) £5m + Anderson P/Ex

Wellington Nem (AMRLC) £3.5m

David Alaba (DL) £17m

Adryan (AMC) £875k

Mattia De Sciglio (DR/L) £12.5m - £7.5m upfront + add ons after league games, international apps etc

Alan Dzagoev (AMC) £free - Joined in January at end of contract

Romario (DR) £free - joined in january at end of contract

Transfers Out:

Ashley Young £27m to Arsenal - could not resist this deal and he would not have been 1st choice anyway

Anderson £P/ex to Everton for Fellaini

Nani £20m to Lille - eventual runners up in champs league - January Window

Valencia £20m to Bayern - January Window

Capital One Cup

I went out of the capital one cup pretty in the 1st round to West Brom who at the time were playing pretty well. I always use my back up team / youngsters for this competition as i am not bothered about winning it due to the extra games and it is a good opportunity to give the back ups some game time.

FA Cup

Started the FA Cup with an away trip to wolves so again decided to go for the back up / youth policy and only managed a draw although we came good in the replay with a 2-1 win. This was followed by a home tie against barnsley so again i went for the same squad policy and we won 1-0. The 5th round we were drawn against man city away and with some injuries i went in with a mix of youth and experience and we were unfortunate to lose 1-0.

Champs League

In the Champions League i was drawn an easy enough group with Montpellier, Benfica and Basel. We came through the group stages easy enough winning 5 of the six games convincingly whilst only conceding 1 goal. The only defeat was a shocker 3-2 away to Basel where i was terrible and ultimately decided on change of formation. Knockout stages was not kind and drew me like so many others i have seen on here away to Barcelona 1st. In the 1st match we played quite well but 2 goals in 3 minutes was enough for a 2-0 win to Barcelona. In the home tie we were dominant all the way through with 24 shots and 58% possession but only managed a 2-0 win resulting in an eventual loss on penalties. A little disappointed to go out at this stage but when its Barcelona i suppose i can hardly complain.

Premier League

Premier league season was pretty good and was the only competition i managed to win. I came away with generally good results against all the big clubs apart from a 2-1 defeat away at liverpool and a 3-2 defeat home to arsenal on the last day when the league was already won and i played a young side. Biggest challengers all season were Tottenham and Man City who pushed me pretty well. The final touch coming with a 1-0 win away to tottenham at the end of March that put me far enough clear to rotate the squad and pick up the points needed to win the league.

Final Table:

ScreenShot2012-11-10at080857.png

Overall i am happy with the season. Its been difficult getting tactics right and i am still not convinced i have it right so am going to change my strategy for the new season and go to a 4-2-3-1 with 3 inside forwards behind a poacher. I notice Gotze and Neymar on the transfer list so may consider bids for 1 of these and will then look at youth. I will be letting go of the older players on free transfers also such as Rio, Giggs and Scholes as i did not really use them all season and could do with losing their wages. Evra & Buttner will also be sold as i already have 2 LB in Alaba and Fabio.

End of 1st Season Review

After really struggling trying to find a tactic to use. I eventually settled on 4-2-3-1 (narrow). I wasn't really happy with it, as I do prefer to play with two up front, but the one up front seemed to work ok.

I only made one transfer and that was bringing in Kyle Walker from Spurs for £15 million. No transfers out but did send a lot of the youngsters out on loan.

The season didn't all go to plan, finishing in the runner's up spot in the league to Man City, and being knocked out of both the Capital One Cup and the FA Cup quite early on. I did mainly use the kids in those competitions to try and give them some first team experience. However, the Champions League was a complete success. After topping my group, we overcame AC Milan, FC Porto, Barcelona in the semis and then a 2-0 victory over Valencia in the final.

Rooney was my top scorer with 22 goals. Which just showed how much I struggle to get a tactic which I could stick with. Chopped and changed so much throughout the early part of the season, no-one could really get settled.

Looking forward to the second season and will hopefully wrestle the premier league back from City whilst also putting up a good defence of my Champions League crown.

Just coming towards the end of the January Transfer Window in my first season, leading the league by a distance from City and Chelsea. Real Madrid have bought Anderson off me for £12.5m and I've brought in Aaron Ramsey from £12.75m as his replacement. Good choice?

I've also brought in Adryan, like most people, and I'm also closing in on Southampton duo Shaw and JWP for a combined £14m. Not sure about JWP, considering pulling out now I've also got Ramsey and Adryan, but Shaw looks like he could be Evra's long term replacement though he'll be facing stiff competition from Blackett, who has impressed while Evra has been out for 3-4 months and Fabio when he returns from his loan spell at QPR.

Also looking at Maher, he looks like a serious player but AZ want a bit much for him currently.

The big question is how did you manage to lose with players like Messi, Rooney, Neymar, Ozil at San Siro?

A loads of big name players.

2016/17 Champions league first knockout round first leg against AC Milan we managed to lose 4-1 at the San Siro so we needed a big performance in the return leg at Old Trafford but I wasn't expecting this...

2012-11-10_00004.jpg

Archived