Sports Interactive Community
llama3

FM13 Arsenal Thread - Victoria Concordia Crescit

Started a game with Arsenal and have brought in Adrian, Camacho and Wellington Nem and have sold Arshavin.

Playing a 4-2-3-1 deep and won my first two games against Southampton and Reading though Woj was POTM both times :O

season 2 complete mixed one.

PL- 2nd by a point went into last game a point ahead of city and only managed a draw away to Norwich while spuds got whipped by city..

CL- final lost to Madrid this time..so have lost a final each to both La liga giants

COC- winner

FA cup-4th round

Players out-

Fabianski- 6 mill

Podolski-17mill

Sagna-10 mill

Ryo- 5mill

Wellington Silva 3 mill

Joel Cambel- 4 mill

Players In-

Ibrahim Sy- 1mill

Leandro Damio- 40 mill

Martin Montoya- 4 mill

waiting to see the results of mine - but in my beta save Rosicky on Gnabry was very good. Koscielny on Miquel always tends to work well.

This may sound like a strange question but in all previous versions I have never watched the games just read the commentary but in this version I am thinking I might need to start watching. How long does it take to play through a game when you watch? What speed do you have the match set at? Thanks

Ramsey and Arteta didn't work out for me with Ramsey ending up not liking him!

you'll drop ramsey's determination by tutoring that pair!

This may sound like a strange question but in all previous versions I have never watched the games just read the commentary but in this version I am thinking I might need to start watching. How long does it take to play through a game when you watch? What speed do you have the match set at? Thanks

depends entirely on the speed you watch - and you can choose the speed and highlights level - but the longer you watch the more you learn. My games take about 25 minutes roughly. But some of my mates can do it in 5-10 minutes easily.

I read (possibly in this topic) that the match engine is a lot more buggy is you watch the game, so I'm not watching until the update!

lovely turnaround to beat newcastle at home. Was 1-0 down to Ben Arfa's header, but a late Vermaelen header, and then Tiote own goal turned it around.

For anyone who's wondering, I've just checked Serge Gnabry's potential ability:

and it's a healthy -9 PA

I think some of his starting attributes are slightly underestimated, but they will definitely improve under the right management and tutorship.

For anyone who's wondering, I've just checked Serge Gnabry's potential ability:

and it's a healthy -9 PA

I think some of his starting attributes are slightly underestimated, but they will definitely improve under the right management and tutorship.

His potential might be high, but his starting stats are too crap for him to ever become world class imo.

He has great flair, good technique and pace, but the rest of his stats are absolutely awful. I've got him up to 14 determination at the moment (I think), and I'll develop him, but I just can't see him becoming a useful player.

I've made a quick visit to the FM13 editor to boost a couple of his starting attributes - nothing too drastic, though.

I've also boosted the PA's of a few others: Thomas Eisfeld, Carl Jenkinson and Ignasi Miquel. Once again, no major changes.

Destroyed Man City 4-0 in a top of the table clash at the Emirates. Great performance, and kudos to Marouane Chamakh in attack. Giroud is out for 4 weeks, so I trusted the Moroccan to start in attack he got the opening goal, and generally played superbly.

I must say on the subject of Chamakh - he can still be very effective used correctly - he has great Teamwork, Work Rate & Stamina - he links play superbly, has a great first touch, his decisions are good, and he is fairly strong and good in the air. As a target man, or deep-lying attacker in a link-role he can be extremely useful. He has 4 goals for me in 9 games this season, at an average rating of 7.08 - considering he is backup and plays quite rarely, thats not a bad ratio.

Hi guys,

Big Arsenal fan from Austalia! First CM/FM game i played was CM3 so fairly experienced, but ive been struggling so far in his game.

Using a 4132 wide like llama3, but i have been struggling to score. Defensively the team is pretty solid, but none of my attacking players seems to be scoring.

I have signed Gotze (IF-A) to go with Corzola (AP-A) and Wilshere (IF-A) as my attacking midfield trio, but they have all been averaging low 6s.

My striker is set as either a AF or DLF and he doesnt sem to get many touches.

Any ideas? would i be better of playing a 4132 narrow with my AM trio all set as AP?

Big Yellow - I am using a 4-2-3-1, not 4-1-3-2. Too many attacking roles possibly?

Hi llama3

I just wondered, did you make many signings in your game? I always find it really hard to sell players as I feel a bit of a traitor as Wenger would not do it in real life, but its the only way to be able to bolster the squad with quality reinforcements.

Big Yellow - I am using a 4-2-3-1, not 4-1-3-2. Too many attacking roles possibly?

woops i actually meant 4231!!

i have arteta and ramsey in the central midfield support roles.

what role have you set for your lone striker?

i currently have:

GK: SK-S

DR: WB-S

DCR: D-Stopper

DCl: D-Cover

DL: WB-S

MCR: DLP-S

MCL: CM-S

AMR: IF-A

AMC: AP-A

AML: IF-A

FC: DLF/AF - A

i currently have:

i use walcott as my main striker, put him as a poacher and if he stays major injury free he can bag u 30 goals a season

So made a few changes to my tactics last night. Unticked everything, dropped my AMC down so now play a 4-3-2-1, moved Santi to AML AP (a) and he has been a completely different player to the one playing as my AMC. Also changed to Fluid and Control, the results have improved drastically in a really short space of time. Still a few annoying games where I have conceded a late equaliser but the stand out result was beating Chelsea 4-2 at the bridge, I was 4-0 up at half time so annoying that I let in 2 in the 2nd half but really chuffed nevertheless.

My stand out performer is Giroud, now playing him as CF (S) and he is banging them in, something like 8 in 5. I am still a long way off City in 1st, 9 points, but I'm much more positive about catching them now.

Thanks to all for advise

you'll drop ramsey's determination by tutoring that pair!

It was suggested by Bould but might not take his advise anymore!

Just signed Kolo Toure in the January transfer window for 190k as there were only 3 hours left in it and Vermaelen is out for 8 months with ligament damage =[

It was suggested by Bould but might not take his advise anymore!

The drop in determination can be worth it if it means other key stats like Professionalism, Ambition, etc. are raised and the player being tutored picks up valuable PPM's. As far as developing players go, 15 Determination isn't going to cripple someone's chances of reaching their potential.

Havent posted on here in a while so think i will update my progress.

i like to mix it up with the formations and ended up with a 3-2-2-1-2

1st team being:

GK - Szczesny

RB - Sagna

CB - Mertesacker

CB - Vermaelen

DM - Kirchhoff

WBL - Baines

RM - Walcott

CM - Arteta

AM - Wilshere

ST - Jovetic

ST - Giroud

Top 5 scorers - Giroud 13, Insigne 12, Vermaelen 9, Podolski 7, Jovetic 7

Top 5 assists - Walcott 12, Wilshere 12, Gervinho 7, Arteta 7, 4 players with 4 Baines, Santos, Ramsay and Dzagoev

Transfers in - 1st transfer window

Insigne 10m, Okore 1.3m, Hiljemark 1.4m, Kirchhoff 13.25m, Maher 20m, Dzagoev 3.8m, Probst 6k and Gauld 525k

Jan transfer window

Jovetic 13m and Baines 16.75m

Notable transfers out

Chamakh 8m, Arshavin 2.5m, Squillaci 1.3m and Mannone 1.4m

Premiership finished 3rd - 1st Man City 81pts, 2nd Chelsea 79pts, 3rd Arsenal 71pts

League cup 3rd round - Lost to Leicester City after a replay

Fa cup 3rd round - Lost to Leicester City after a replay again (Bogey team i think!)

Champions League 1st knockout stage - Lost to PSG after they scored a late away goal

Just about to start my 2nd season, will update in due course

The drop in determination can be worth it if it means other key stats like Professionalism, Ambition, etc. are raised and the player being tutored picks up valuable PPM's. As far as developing players go, 15 Determination isn't going to cripple someone's chances of reaching their potential.

So if they dont get on the player being tutored actually loses determination stats?

He could do, or he could not. Determination isn't guaranteed to decrease or increase from tutoring and from experience if two players don't get on there won't be any change; if there is, it's minuscule at best.

Tutoring isn't an easy thing to get right as you can't easily predict if two players will get along or not. Fortunately, players can be tutored more than once so if your Ramsey has lost points, he can still reclaim them.

Destroyed Man City 4-0 in a top of the table clash at the Emirates. Great performance, and kudos to Marouane Chamakh in attack. Giroud is out for 4 weeks, so I trusted the Moroccan to start in attack he got the opening goal, and generally played superbly.

I must say on the subject of Chamakh - he can still be very effective used correctly - he has great Teamwork, Work Rate & Stamina - he links play superbly, has a great first touch, his decisions are good, and he is fairly strong and good in the air. As a target man, or deep-lying attacker in a link-role he can be extremely useful. He has 4 goals for me in 9 games this season, at an average rating of 7.08 - considering he is backup and plays quite rarely, thats not a bad ratio.

Llama what role and duty are you using for Giroud and Chamakh in your 4231 set up. I would also be interested in how you set them up in regards run from deep and roaming instructions.

Also could you advice on how to get the best from Cazorla. What role suits him best

I am playing with the 4231 deep formation and I generally go for a balance/control starting strategy.

Thanks

Really need to get some quality youngsters into my reserves, keep going out of the cups really early which means they get even less playing time :D

Currently 4 points clear having played a game more then Man City, 35 games unbeaten since last season, and drew my first leg at Marseille 2-2, need a strong performance at home to get through!

Hi llama3

I just wondered, did you make many signings in your game? I always find it really hard to sell players as I feel a bit of a traitor as Wenger would not do it in real life, but its the only way to be able to bolster the squad with quality reinforcements.

No signings so far. The squad is good enough to win things with - yes even Chamakh.

i currently have:

Deep-Lying Forward Support - as he drops deep, linking play and creating space for the attacking midfield trio to get in on goal with quick passing moves.

Llama what role and duty are you using for Giroud and Chamakh in your 4231 set up. I would also be interested in how you set them up in regards run from deep and roaming instructions.

Also could you advice on how to get the best from Cazorla. What role suits him best

I am playing with the 4231 deep formation and I generally go for a balance/control starting strategy.

Thanks

I play Giroud normally, Chamakh is back up for Giroud and slots into the same role - Deep Lying Forward Support (set as Target Man - Play to Feet)

Cazorla I play as an Advanced Playmaker Attack - but the roles around him will affect him hugely. Since my Box to Box Midfielder became a Deep Lying Playmaker the whole team has looked so much better.

No signings so far. The squad is good enough to win things with - yes even Chamakh.

Deep-Lying Forward Support - as he drops deep, linking play and creating space for the attacking midfield trio to get in on goal with quick passing moves.

I play Giroud normally, Chamakh is back up for Giroud and slots into the same role - Deep Lying Forward Support (set as Target Man - Play to Feet)

Cazorla I play as an Advanced Playmaker Attack - but the roles around him will affect him hugely. Since my Box to Box Midfielder became a Deep Lying Playmaker the whole team has looked so much better.

Llama with the forward playing as a deep lying playmaker does he not occupy the same space as the AMC when he drops deep in the hole taking the space which the AMC wants to operate in. Also what are thoughts on playing with two DMC instead of two Central Midfielders. My AML is set to inside forward attack with move into channels because Podolski is left footed and cutting inside would not work because he is already on his stronger foot. Do you think it matters too much when if I set him to cut inside

Did you make any youth signings at all llama?

What's your current side at the moment may I ask?

Also did you bring any new staff in?

No

Szczesny

Jenkinson - Mertesacker - Vermaelen - Gibbs

Arteta - Diaby

Oxlade-Chamberlain - Cazorla - Podolski

Giroud

No

Llama with the forward playing as a deep lying playmaker does he not occupy the same space as the AMC when he drops deep in the hole taking the space which the AMC wants to operate in. Also what are thoughts on playing with two DMC instead of two Central Midfielders. My AML is set to inside forward attack with move into channels because Podolski is left footed and cutting inside would not work because he is already on his stronger foot. Do you think it matters too much when if I set him to cut inside

The forward is a deep lying forward, not deep lying playmaker. No he doesn't occupy the same space because the AMC is on an attack duty so pushes forward, the DLF also drops into wider positions too which is where the IF's push in on goal. - Why would you switch an inside forward to move into channels? Its the 1 setting that defines an inside forward! Podolski has the PPM avoids using the weaker foot, and has scored many goals for me on his left foot because he makes diagonal runs into the box, and recieves it on his stronger left foot, shooting across the goalkeeper. So set it back to cut inside.

Hi llama

May I ask what team strategy you play? I'm trying to get a nice balance between to attack and defence , I'm scoring goals but I'm also leaking a lot.

*Also I have my midfield duo set as dlp/s which is either ramsey or wilshire and my other midfielder set as a cm/d which is either arteta or coquelin.

not sure what to do with diaby can he play the dlp role?

By the way I tested the dlf/s striker role (giroud) and both my inside forwards got a goal each (podolski and the Ox) and Corzorla playing in the hole as a

advanced playmaker got potm.

Control Philosophy, because I like patient ball retention and movement. My defence has not been great so far this season, so not sure I am best to offer advice at the moment. Diaby is a very good DLP Support - his physical stats are excellent in the role.

thanks , I have been using balanced control , in the dlp/s role Im using Ramsey/Wilshire but I may try Diaby but he is injured at present

Do you have both central midfielders on dlp/s I been using the other as cm/d (arteta/coquelin)

By the way anyone who is looking for a young prospect in the amc role look no further than Adryan , just turned the game round for me in the capital one cup , came on with 20 minutes

to go getting both assists to win 2-0 against Birmingham

Well my season has completely fallen apart from mid march now with 9 league games to go i was 9 points clear in league just beat bayern in the CL Q/F and in semis off FA cup now with 2 league games left i am 4 points behind and not had a win in 9 games do not know what has happen have totally bottled it starting to feel like real life arsenal.

After today's game I'm having to steer clear of FM so I don't make any drastic last minute transfers! Arteta very nearly got the chop from my team :lol:

I am interested to see how much I can improve Gnabry.

Same with me to be honest his stats dont really look too good but the coach reports loook very promising saying he could be a key player for Arsenal, should be interesting, keep us updated with your progress

On August's deadline day I opted to move on Mertesacker for £10.25m, Gervinho for £11.75m and Diaby for £7.25m. This has brought my transfer budget up to £33m (some sales included monthly instalments), with remaining wages of £110k which means I will have plenty to play with come January. My intention is to continue to build a young team, with the main priority being to find a young replacement for Arteta's role. This person needs to be the backbone of my midfield and the real brains of the operation. Cabaye is an option but I'm looking for someone a little younger, perhaps under 23. Any recommendations for this position would be greatly appreciated!

On August's deadline day I opted to move on Mertesacker for £10.25m, Gervinho for £11.75m and Diaby for £7.25m. This has brought my transfer budget up to £33m (some sales included monthly instalments), with remaining wages of £110k which means I will have plenty to play with come January. My intention is to continue to build a young team, with the main priority being to find a young replacement for Arteta's role. This person needs to be the backbone of my midfield and the real brains of the operation. Cabaye is an option but I'm looking for someone a little younger, perhaps under 23. Any recommendations for this position would be greatly appreciated!

James Ward-Prowse(13mil)of southampton if your looking for really young player to develop(hes 17 at start), i just got him on my new save(yes started again for like the 20th time) according to my Steve Rowley i should of signed him at any price!, if you want a bit older try Jonas Svensson from Rosenborg, he has a few random stats, hes 19 to start with and has become the player i always sign first for any save i start(1.3mil is a bargain), and another option that ive always wanted to try but never have is Andrea Poli from Sampdoria, has really good all round stats for that central midfield role at the age of 22.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check those out! I'm actually managing Southampton on the same save so I'd feel wrong stealing James Ward-Prowse away when he's one of 3 or 4 key prospects for the team.

Well after a massive collapse at the back end off the 1st season not winning any of my last 9 league games and throwing away a 9 point lead to finish prem in 3rd which i suppose is not bad 1st season, lost in semis off CL to R.Madrid 6-1 on agg and lost 2-1 in fa cup semi final to Man City which ment my losing streak ended up 12 games last season.

So changes have been made have kept same formation but have decided to play more rigid this season.

Season 2 Transfers

Players in

Lorenzo Insigne ST Napoli - free

Demir (regen) AMR Dortmund - 525k

Craig beakersphere (regen) ST Wolves £4.2mil

Andre Schurrle AML Leverkusen - 22mil

Lars Bender MC Leverkusen - 18.5mil

Asmeilson ST Sao P - 5Mil

Transfers out

Tomas Rosicky 1.2mil

Andrey arshavin 2.2mil

Abou Diaby 5mil

Demba Ba 20mil ( Did not want to sell but Bayern offered 20mil and i could not turn that down)

Chamackh 5mil

Frimpong 6.75mil

Gervinho 11mil

Denilson 3.7mil

Park Chu 3.5mil

Bendtner 2.5mil

Joel Campbell 1.7mil

Andre Santos 3.2mil

Miquel,Eastmond and Galidino also sold for a combined 1.1mil

Afobe,Yennaris,Gnarby,Jebb,le Coq and roberts all sent out on loan

Did someone signed Radja Nainggolan from Cagliari or Sandro from Tottenhan? They become the best defensive midfielders in the game 2-3 years later. And Nainggolan is probably the best mentor in the game.

Has anyone tried Vermaelen, Mertesaker and Koscielny in a Back 3 formation? Or Vermaelen at left back with Koscielny and Mertesaker at centre back?

My scouts rate Mertesaker and Koscielny as 1/2 star better than Vermaelen and I am finding it really difficult to settle on a good left back.

Gibbs?

I signed marcel schemlzer from Dortmund for 6m but so far he has been rubbish!

After seeing the papers this morning about Cavani , which is most likely a load of PR rubbish , I thought I would check him out in-game , He is transfer listed at 20m!!!

Chelsea Liverpool and myself are interested , his tranfer fee is dropping all the time , might be able to snap him up even cheaper come January, is he worthit?

Also The ox is a beast down the right as an inside forward he scored twice in my last game and got one assist , Walcott is not really getting a look in , not sure if I should ship him on unless I can get him on a decent long term contract but if he asks for mega bucks I may sell him after all I may get Cavani.