FM13 Arsenal Thread - Victoria Concordia Crescit

llama3

arsenalintroduction.png

MONTHLY UPDATE - August

After a good pre-season, it was imperative we continued our good form through into the opening stages of the new competitive season. New players, new impetus, new start. Here's how my August went

FIXTURES & RESULTS

18.8.13 | Barclays Premier League;

Nottingham Forest - 1 (Cox '88)

Arsenal - 1 (Wilshere '45)

As you can see, we began our Barclays Premier League campaign at newly-promoted Nottingham Forest. It wasn't quite the result I wanted to begin with, but the performance was promising. Aptly, it was Wilshere who scored our first goal of the new season, latching onto a Tomáš Rosický through ball. Rosický himself had a good chance to double our lead just after half-time; his shot was saved well and we ultimately paid for our missed chances. Simon Cox pounced upon Blackstock's parried effort at the far post. An annoying 1-1 FT score.

24.6.13 | Barclays Premier League;

Arsenal - 3 (Giroud '7, '18, '39)

Southampton - 1 (Ramírez '84)

Following the disappointment of 6 days ago, we returned to The Emirates needing a good performance and that's what we got. Olivier Giroud, starting ahead of new signing Jovetić, scored a first-half hat-trick to justify my decision to stick with him. Giroud showed two of his better aspects to his game with all three goals: the ability to finish expertly well, showcased by his first two goals, and the more obvious ability to use his power and physique in the air. In all honesty, the Olivier could've, or should've, bagged 5-6 goals. Good performance all round - bar that needless consolation goal gifted to Ramírez.

31.8.13 | Barclays Premier League;

Norwich - 0

Arsenal - 3 (Giroud '22, '59, Jovetić '70)

Another fine performance - with the added bonus of a clean sheet this time. Olivier Giroud picked up where he left off last season: scoring goals. Once again, he displayed his aerial prowess scoring twice either side of half-time, nodding home crosses from Jack Wilshere and Nacho Monreal respectively. Stevan Jovetić - replacing the two-time goalscorer, Giroud - made an instant impact upon coming on. He broke the offside trap, latching onto Carl Jenkinson's well-weighted pass, to score his first Arsenal goal. Lovely.

Mikel Arteta and Jack Wilshere dictated proceedings from deep, tallying an impressive 139 passes between themselves - two of them key passes.

bpltable1stseptember.png

Barclays Premier League table; as of September 1st

SUMMER TRANSFER WINDOW | IN'S, OUT'S, IT'S ALL HERE

As ever, it's been a hectic transfer window for all involved. This transfer window was always going to be a pivotal one; get it right and we have a chance to clinch the Barclays Premier League title, get it wrong and you could struggle in the chase for the UEFA Champions League qualification spot.

In's

STEVAN JOVETIĆ FORWARD | 23-YEARS OLD | FIORENTINA | TRANSFER FEE: £22,000,000 | He scored an impressive 19-goals in last season's Serie 'A' season

This was our marquee signing, our signal of intent, our replacement for Robin van P- I think we'll the clichés at that. Stevan Jovetić was someone I've been chasing for many a month. We initially made contact with Fiorentina during the final weeks of the season, much to their disapproval. They rejected any advances made by myself and the club. Having flirted with the Montenegrin maestro for a bit, we rekindled our interest and, luckily, hammered out an initial £22 million deal - the biggest transfer fee, for an incoming player, payed by Arsenal Football Club.

Jovetić will not only add lethal finishing and an alternative to Olivier Giroud, he will also bring van Persie-like attributes back to the Arsenal team again. Predominantly a centre-forward, he's more than capable in a deeper role. I look forward to seeing what he'll bring to The Arsenal.

LEON GORETZKA CENTRAL MIDFIELDER | 18-YEARS OLD | VFL BOCHUM | TRANSFER FEE: £4,700,000 | Capped at Under-19 level for Germany

I had the future in mind with this deal, as well as the present. Leon Goretzka stood out in a decent VfL Bochum team last season in the 2.Bundesliga, catching the eye of German scout Jürgen Kost in the process. Capable of fulfilling his potential in a box-to-box role or even as a holding midfielder, Goretzka brings versatility to the midfield as well as undoubted talent. Adding to the talented clutch of young Germans already at the club, Leon Goretzka should break into the first-team withing three seasons or so.

CARLOS ZAMBRANO CENTRAL DEFENDER | 24-YEARS OLD | EINTRACHT FRANKFURT | TRANSFER FEE: £1,600,000 | Friendly to be played against Eintracht Frankfurt as part of the deal

With the departures of Sébastien Squillaci and Johan Djourou, the need for a fourth choice centre-half was evident. Having had advances for SC Freiburg's Matthias Ginter rejected on numerous occasions, I had to scour Europe for another option. At £1.6 million, I believe I've found a fine player in the Peruvian international, Carlos Zambrano. He coincides with the ball-playing, forward-thinking nature of our defence.

At 24-years old, Zambrano has plenty of room to improve. I'm adamant that the technically good centre-half will become a Emirates fan favourite.

BILAL KAMARIEH WINGER | 17-YEARS OLD | HERTHA BSC | FREE TRANSFER | German national, but of Lebanese decent

He's yet another finding of our extensive scouting system in Germany. Little is expected of the skillful, diminutive wideman other than hardwork and a desire to better himself. On a free transfer, I decided to take a punt on Kamarieh. Signing a 2-year contract, he'll be part of the flourishing Arsenal U18's side for the forthcoming season.

- - - - - - - - - -

Pre-Contract Signings;

As mentioned in a previous update, I had agreed transfers for four players. French U21 internationals Yaya Sanogo and Opa Nguette signed from AJ Auxerre and Valenciennes respectively on free transfers, while Danish starlet Steffen Sørensen also joined on a youth contract from FC Midjytlland, while Crewe Alexandra's Micah Sommerville arrived at The Emirates for a measly £120,000 - already, the 16-year old has made his England U21 debut. Outstanding.

20-year old Yaya Sanogo enjoyed a good pre-season with the Arsenal first-team, while the other three enjoyed good starts to their Arsenal careers in the youth ranks.

- - - - - - - - - -

Out's

There were many outgoings, as expected. Most, if not all, outgoing players were fringe players who were on loan last season. Johan Djourou, Nicklas Bentdner, Park Chu-Young and Denílson all left the club this Summer, following unsuccessful attempts to pin down a regular first-team role, generating a combined £14.5 million. Another fringe player, Marouane Chamakh, was shipped off to Northern France on loan to Lille OSC.

- - - - - - - - - -

Free Transfers;

There were plenty of players out of contract this Summer. Notably first-team outcasts Sébastien Squillaci and Andrey Arshavin. The French calamitous centre-half, Squillaci, recently joined Sunderland while Andrey Arshavin clinched a pre-contract return to his homeland as CSKA Moscow came calling. Between those two alone, I estimate we save a whopping £110,000-a-week. A total of 10 other players were released:-

Sanchez Watt, James Shea, Ignasi Miquel, Daniel Boateng, Elton Monteiro, Nigel Neita, Josh Rees, Conor Henderson, Sead Hajrović, Zac Fagan

- - - - - - - - - -

Loan Deals;

As ever, there's been plenty of movement in terms of loan deals. To begin, Japanese winger Ryo Miyaichi becomes one of the many highly-rated Asians in the Bundesliga as he's joined Hamburg SV on a season-long loan. Another one of my highly-rated forwards, Joel Campbell, has returned to Spain - to affiliate club Salamanca - in an attempt to gain a Spanish passport and, in the process, a work permit. New signing Opa Nguette has joined nPower Championship side Leicester City for an initial 6-months. This should allow him to bed into English football at a relatively comfortable pace.

Chuba Akpom - who impressed at youth level last season, Nico Yennaris and Thomas Eisfeld have all joined Leyton Orient, Scunthorpe and Crewe Alexandra respectively. Lesser rated players - for example Jernade Meade and Craig Eastmond - have also left the club on loan. Other loanees are as follows:-

Wellington Silva, Chuks Aneke, Benik Afobe, Philip Roberts, Reice Charles-Cook, Anthony Jeffrey

UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP STAGE & CAPITAL ONE CUP 3RD ROUND DRAWS

It's that time of the year when our UEFA Champions League fate is decided. As ever, there was a strong representation throughout the pools, with the likes of Borussia Dortmund, Ajax, Paris Saint-Germain and Napoli all starting in the 3rd pool pot or lower. Here's how my group has been set-up:-

Arsenal

Shakhtar Donetsk

Napoli

Borussia Dortmund

We were drawn with three very good teams, in particular the Ukrainian champions Shakhtar Donetsk and Bundesliga outfit Borussia Dortmund. Luckily for me, Napoli's overall squad has regressed somewhat, but the dangerman Edinson Cavani still graces the San Paolo pitch every other Saturday - and he's still scoring goals. The first fixture is against Shakhtar Dontesk and The Emirates Stadium.

It's also the time of year when our Capital One Cup campaign starts to take hold. We've been drawn against fellow Barclays Premier League side Nottingham Forest, at The City Ground, in a second coming of our opening fixture of the Premier League season. As ever, my policy of mixing raw youth with experienced elders will be tested again. Let's see what we can do.

THIS SEASON'S EXPECTATIONS

We'll be looking to the best we can on all fronts. After narrowly missing out on winning the Barclays Premier League last time round, I'm expecting a similar showing in England's premier division next season too. Hopefully, premature exits from the Capital One Cup, FA Cup and UEFA Champions League last season will also be amended - even if at the expense of one of the domestic competitions.

As ever, the policy of playing attractive, attacking football will be paramount to any of my success. Not only is it a requirement on the board's behalf, but it's also a necessity on my own behalf. A club like Arsenal deserves to be graced by beautiful 'Wengerball'. That's what the Arsenal faithful will hopefully get.

That concludes my first monthly update of the new 2013/'14 season. Hopefully, it will be just as enjoyable as last season. Up The Arsenal!

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats one hell of a group you have there, best of luck! My striker Fantini just reached 300 goals for Arsenal, very proud :D My academy players are amazing me every year, with this guy now in the first team battling my current first choice England left back!

new academy player

19112B130BC9640C16A051F864A615B83447F106

old academy player

89F1785E0808A14454FDBCBB1E06E91EB3B8897F

arsenaltransferdeadline.png

We managed to seal the signatures of two players on Transfer Deadline Day - albeit younger players, both under the tender age of 17-years old. As for outgoings, there wasn't much. Just a loan deal.

In's

LABROS SPERTOS STRIKER | 16-YEARS OLD | PANIONIOS | TRANSFER FEE: £190,000 + pre-season friendly between clubs | Capped at Under-19 level for Greece

Having found him through Southern Europe scout Tony Banfield, the 16-year old Spertos joins Arsenal at exactly the right time. Baring similarities to new signing Micah Sommerville, the Greek striker has plenty of work to do referring to the physical aspect to his game, but he possesses fantastic technical and mental ability. Signed for a bargain £190,000, along with a pre-season friendly between Arsenal and Panionios, Spertos has time and ability on his side.

32723822.png

SHOLA SHORETIRE ADVANCED MIDFIELDER | 17-YEARS OLD | CRYSTAL PALACE | TRANSFER FEE: £95,000 | Born in Newcastle, Shola joins a clutch of creators in the U18's squad

Yet another regen player who's joined Arsenal Football Club this Summer. Adding to a treasure trove of attack-minded midfielders in the Under-18's, the Newcastle-born Shola Shoretire looks a fine prospect. His weakness, as with many Arsenal players, is his worrying injury record. Let's hope he puts that firmly in the past and kicks on at the club.

61535298.png

- - - - - - - - - -

Out's

Only two Emirates exits. Two creative and highly-rated midfielders, Kristoffer Olsson and Jon Toral, both joined Peterborough and Yeovil Town on 2-month loan deals respectively. Olsson, who's now 18-years old, will gain vital first-team experience, while Jon Toral will continue his development in the Black Country. Good luck, lads!

Arsenal-FC11_zps43885b1a.jpg

Season 3 March

Prem; 01/03/15; Old Trafford; Arsenal 1-0 Man Utd: Dede 90 + 2

FA(Q/F) 07/03/15; Emirates; Arsenal 3-2 Man City: Damiao 15 , Dzeko 33 & 42 , Vela 73 , Kompany O/G 87

CL(1st K/O Rd leg 2); 10/03/15; Emirates; Arsenal: 1(4)-(0)0 Red Bull Salzburg: Eduardo 88

Prem; 14/03/15; Emirates; Arsenal 3-0 Middlesborough: Eduardo 7 & 18 , Doria 48

Prem; 17/03/15; Emirates; Arsenal 3-0 Tottenham: Dede 27 , Damiao 64 & 75

Right, after a crash dump and then having to reinstall W7 I've started a new Arsenal save! I've turned off the first transfer window so I start with the same squad as Mr Wenger has at his disposal. Lets hope I can garner the same kind of success I had originally :D

arsenalintroduction.png

MONTHLY UPDATE - September;

Following our unbeaten start to our Barclays Premier League campaign, we welcomed back the UEFA Champions League and Capital One Cup competitions to our already tough fixture list. We had to negotiate some tricky fixtures in September - notably an away trip to St. James' Park and we also welcomed Shakhtar Donetsk to The Emirates...

FIXTURES & RESULTS

14.9.13 | Barclays Premier League;

Newcastle - 3 (Ben Arfa '12, '59, Gutiérrez '74)

Arsenal - 3 (Koscielny '52, Giroud '89, Cazorla '90+1)

It was a fine comeback, but we shouldn't have let ourselves get into such a predicament. I tinkered with our tactics a little bit, but that's no real excuse. Hatem Ben Arfa - often a thorn in my Arsenal sides - exploited our midfield's lack of defensive nous, running at our defence at every opportunity. Podolski's underhit pass was the catalyst to Newcastle's second, undoing all of Laurent Koscielny's good work in the opposition's area, while Fabiański was at fault for Gutiérrez's goal. Olivier Giroud's close-range effort sparked panic amongst the Geordie ranks before Santi Cazorla - who's been in fine form this season - sealed the comeback by blasting home from 18-yards via the post. Unbelievable.

18.9.13 | UEFA Champions League - Group Stage;

Arsenal - 2 (Arteta pen. '36, Podolski pen. '90+1)

Shakhtar Donetsk - 1 (Fernandinho '21)

This was a better performance. We controlled the game, passed the ball well and earned a deserved victory - albeit in a close-cut manner. Fernandinho stood out for the Ukrainian champions, putting the visitors ahead early on, but we battled back well. Both Mikel Arteta and Lukas Podolski kept their cool from the penalty spot on either end of the pitch. Aaron Ramsey played well, completing an impressive 80 passes alongside Mikel Arteta in the midfield.

In the absence of Thomas Vermaelen and Per Mertsacker, new-signing Carlos Zambrano made his Arsenal debut.

21.9.13 | Barclays Premier League;

Arsenal - 4 (Podolski '27, Koscielny '38, Gervinho '73, Oxlade-Chamberlain '77)

West Ham - 2 (J. Cole '20, Maïga '53)

Another high scoring Barclays Premier League match. The scoreline may indicate an end-to-end, fairly equal encounter between both sides, but it was far from it. The visitors only attempted 4 shots at goal, 2 of them being goals! Again, Santi Cazolra dictated proceedings racking up a total 54 completed passes and 2 assists, supplying both Podolski and Gervinho with goalscoring chances which both took well. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain made a good cameo appearance, grabbing a goal, and Aaron Ramsey continued to impress alongside Mikel Arteta.

24.9.13 | Capital One Cup - 3rd Round;

Nottingham Forest - 0 (D. Henderson missed penalty '44)

Arsenal - 3 (Gervinho '14, Wilshere '52, Oxlade-Chamberlain '77)

An impressive performance from the new wave of young talent at the club. Serge Gnabry, Leon Goretzka, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Francis Coquelin all started, while Yaya Sanogo and Héctor Bellerín both made appearances from the substitutes' bench. The first a well-taken Gervinho goal, the second another good team move rounded off by Jack Wilshere and the third a good strike from 18-odd yards - with Leon Goretzka and Tomáš Rosický at the heart of the build-up play.

We play Huddersfield Town in the 4th Round.

28.9.13 | Barclays Premier League;

Arsenal - 0

West Brom - 0

This was as one-side as it could get: 65% possession of the ball, 15 shots at goal and West Bromwich Albion didn't even manage one. Despite our neat passing play and good defensive display, games are decided by who scores the most - and neither team managed to score once! Stevan Jovetić missed our best chance, although his header was kept out remarkably well by Ben Foster. Aaron Ramsey stood out again, while Jack Wilshere impressed in the #10 role.

bpltable1stoctober.png

Barclays Premier League table; as of October 1st

INJURY UPDATE

We've been fairly fortuitous in terms of injuries this season, but the Footballing Bergkamp's haven't given us much luck of late. In the space of two weeks, four first-team members have been struck down by injury.

injurylistasof11013.png

Both Laurent Koscielny and Mikel Arteta suffered their injuries in the UEFA Champions League match against Napoli - which you will learn about in my next update. Gervinho strained his knee ligaments in the Capital One Cup fixture against Nottingham Forest, a game in which he scored. Lukas Podolski suffered his injury, a torn calf muscle, in the 4-2 victory over West Ham. You may remember that Aaron Ramsey suffered a similar injury last season.

We've got plenty of strength in depth, but it does leave our options somewhat short, especially in the final third. All will be notable absentees while they're out injured.

More to follow...

He looks very weak in the air, his jumping, strength, aerial ability and especially command of area all need improving

Thanks Llama3 but I was thinking on how to improve him rather then what needs improving think I'll get Szczesny or Vorm to Tutor him

Started a 2nd Arsenal game after getting bored with my PSG, Leeds, and Bilbao careers.

Decided to make wholesale changes to the squad, looking to build a quick, physically dominant team who's dangerous on the break.

Out:

Arshavin - 5m

Gervinho - 13.5m

Arteta - 8.75m

Mertesacker - 15m

Squillaci - 1.5m

Coquelin - 2.8m

Jenhinson - Loan

Total = 47.5m

In:

Papadopoulos - 14.5

Corchia - 15m

Wanyama - 13m

Fellaini - 30m

El Shaarawy - 35m

Neymar - 61m

Total = 169m

Net expenditure = 121.5m

Massive, and unrealistic, spending on my behalf but I wanted to shape my team as quickly as possible. I initially planned on playing a 4-4-2 but it was quickly evident that it wasn't working, I then went back to my usual counter-attacking 4-5-1.

Team formation:

-----------SKs

WBa---CBd---BPDd---WBa

-----------DMs

-------DLPd---APa

Ws--------------------IFa

-----------TQa

Team selection:

GK: Chez---Fabianski

RB: Corchia---Sagna

LB: Gibbs---Monreal

CB: Koscielny

CB: Vermaelen---Papadopoulos

DMC: Wanyama---Diaby

MCR: Fellaini---Ramsey

MCL: Wilshere---Cazorla

AMR: El Shaarawy---Chamberlain

AML: Walcott---Podolski

ST: Neymar---Giroud

Armero has been signed on a pre-contract, monreal will be sold in the summer. Sagna will also be sold in the summer along with Ramsey, Podolski, and Giroud.

I'll add that Diaby has been surprisingly good, I usually sell him immediately so this is the first time that I've actually used him and I've been pleasantly surprised by his performances :)

Currently 4th in the league, mainly due to the 4-4-2 failure in the beginning of the season. I've drawn Bayern in the CL so I'm expecting to go out unfortunately, and I'm in the semi final of the league cup. Performances have been good, but my squad is very small and fatigue and injuries have been problematic.

I must say Ramsey is an excellent creative midfielder - of you want to build a counter-attacking side, then he can help transition play very quickly, would recommend a rethink on that, he develops unbelievably quickly

I must say Ramsey is an excellent creative midfielder - of you want to build a counter-attacking side, then he can help transition play very quickly, would recommend a rethink on that, he develops unbelievably quickly

I agree, he was fantastic on my first Arsenal save, but he's not quite the type of midfielder that I want because he lacks the physical attributes that I'm looking for. I want a team with great physicals, pace and agility for the front three and advanced playmaker, and strength for the DM and DLP. Ramsey is very good, but just doesn't fit into my vision.

I think that this would be my ideal midfield:

DM: Sandro---Wanyama

DLP: Fellaini---Javi Martinez

AP: Wilshere---André Ayew/Asamoah

Mobile and physically dominant DM, Tall and strong DLP, tenacious and mobile dribbling AP. Ramsey doesn't really fit into those archetypes, he has the agility but lacks the acceleration for the AP role, and lacks the physical dominance for the DM or DLP roles.

Just three weeks into October and injuries are hitting us hard. Very hard, in fact.

injurylistasof221013.png

Santi Cazorla - who's been in masterful form this season - is out for around a month with lumbago. We're now having to face Borussia Dortmund, in the UEFA Champions League, with a somewhat make-shift starting eleven which includes Carlos Zambrano and Francis Coquelin, with Serge Gnabry and Emmanuel Frimpong on the substitutes' bench.

arsenalintroduction2.png

Monthly Update - OCTOBER

September was a good month as we continued our unbeaten Barclays Premier League run and began our UEFA Champions League campaign well. It would be hard to follow such a month, especially with away trips to Napoli and Liverpool, as well as the visit of Borussia Dortmund to The Emirates.

FIXTURES & RESULTS

1.10.13 | UEFA Champions League - Group Stage;

Napoli - 1 (Cavani '18)

Arsenal - 1 (Jovetić '45+1)

It was a backs-to-the-wall performance, but a decent one nevertheless. Napoli, lead by the exceptional Edinson Cavani, lead Serie 'A' comfortably and their performance matched their impressive league standing. Cavani's well-taken goal came about following a fine pass from Miralem Pjanić. They took a deserved lead, but we responded well, culminating in an Oxlade-Chamberlain cross which was finished off well by Stevan Jovetić, returning to the country we signed him from.

During the match, we had to shift things around with Mikel Arteta and Laurent Koscielny both picking up relatively serious injuries, as seen above.

5.10.13 | Barclays Premier League;

Liverpool - 3 (Carroll '8, '75, Gerrard '28)

Arsenal - 3 (Cazorla pen. '38, Giroud '48, Jovetić '79)

It was an end-to-end, never-racking game. To use the old adage, it was a fine advert for English football. Defensive mistakes gifted goals to Liverpool - Gerrard's solitary goal and Carroll's second to be precise - but we showed good character. We levelled the match just after half-time, through Giroud's right-footed finish , before we conceded again. 10-minutes before full time, Stevan Jovetić powered a header passed José Reina to share the spoils. Good result. Our unbeaten run continues...

19.10.13 | Barclays Premier League;

Arsenal - 2 (Wilshere '63, Giroud '83)

Blackburn - 1 (Rhodes '77)

Our players returned from their respective national duties battered and bruised - notably Thomas Vermaelen and Tomáš Rosický - thus forcing us to name a far from full-strength starting eleven and substitutes' bench. Initially lacking match sharpness, Jack Wilshere took the game by the scruff of the neck, charging passed the Blackburn defence to score a fine goal. Jordan Rhodes' alarmingly simple near-post header brought the visitors back on level terms, but Olivier Giroud's penalty box finish capped a good team move and clinched a vital victory.

22.10.13 | UEFA Champions League - Group Stage;

Arsenal - 2 (Oxlade-Chamberlain '64, Jovetić '85)

Borussia Dortmund - 0

Losing an in-form Santi Cazorla in the build-up to the match would hamper any team, but we played very well, surprisingly. Olivier Giroud spurned a good chance in the first-half as his shot was parried away by Roman Weidenfeller. The final third of the match approached - and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, deputising for the injured Santi Cazorla, stepped up to the mark. Bacary Sagna cut the ball back, finding the 20-year old in a pocket of space who passed the ball into the top right-hand corner. The second, and decisive, goal came about after Stevan Jovetić knicked the ball from Mats Hummels' gifted feet and slotted passed the on-rushing Weidenfeller with aplomb. Delightful result.

26.10.13 | Barclays Premier League;

Arsenal - 2 (Oxlade-Chamberlain '26, Giroud '44)

Fulham - 0

Fulham, managed by Sam Allardyce, posed a substantial physical presence, but we managed them well. We kept possession well and earned another much-needed victory. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, continuing his fine form, blasted passed a despairing David Stockdale from 18-odd yards before Olivier Giroud - latching onto a Stevan Jovetić pass and capitalising on a momentary defensive deficiency - doubled our lead and sealed the victory.

Jack Wilshere came off as a precautution at half-time, replaced by Emmanuel Frimpong for his first Barclays Premier League appearance of the season.

29.10.13 | Capital One Cup - 4th Round;

Arsenal - 4 (Walcott '10, Oxlade-Chamberlain '90+2, Monreal '111, Sanogo '119)

Huddersfield - 3 (Novak '58, '88, Higginbotham '91)

Only 35,000-odd Gooners turned out at The Emirates on a breezy Tuesday night, but they were certainly treated to an exhilarating game - although I wasn't treated to the dominant win I had hoped for. An experienced but youthful side took to The Emirates turf and got the job done, despite highlighting glaring defensive issues. Yaya Sanogo - a summer signing who's impressed for the Under-21's side this term - clinched the tie sliding a Micah Sommerville cross home. We've drawn Everton in the Quarter-Final.

As you may have guessed, promising regen Micah Sommverille made his professional debut as a extra-time substitute along with Héctor Bellerín, while Emmanuel Frimpong, Leon Goretzka and Serge Gnabry all started.

bpltable1stnovember.png

Barclays Premier League table - as of November 1st

THANKS, MR. GAZIDIS!

Arsenal's managing director, Ivan Gazidis, announced on November 1st that Arsenal's transfer budgets for the forthcoming January transfer window has been given a healthy boost. Rising from £32,500,000 to a hefty £62,000,000, we've now got the financial clout to rival even the biggest of "back door funded" clubs.

It's unlikely that I'll use most of it, but a potential target could be Manchester City's want-away forward, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. The Gabonese striker joined City in the Summer for £20 million, but has only managed one Barclays Premier League appearance this season.

Hope you enjoyed reading my latest monthly update. I may add more to it soon...

guys , is Coquelin a good prospect for first team? , I'm in my first season and play a flat 4-4-2 , Im currently playing Coquelin a lot in a ball winning midfielder role but he has'nt really performed for me yet.

It could be a bit early to expect anything from him but has he got the potential or should I look for someone else?

cheers

guys , is Coquelin a good prospect for first team? , I'm in my first season and play a flat 4-4-2 , Im currently playing Coquelin a lot in a ball winning midfielder role but he hasn't really performed for me yet.

It could be a bit early to expect anything from him but has he got the potential or should I look for someone else?

cheers

he is a very useful player i used him as a rotation player and sold for 17 million in my 6th season (i'd try him a a dlp)

A Ball Winning Midfielder in a flat 4-4-2 is not a great match generally, so not surprised he does not look great to you - but I have always found him a superb player, well worth developing.

Llew_Arshavin23,

Another fantastic update. Finding it hard to stay disciplined and focus on my Brazil save when I keep reading your Arsenal updates. May be time to fire up my save again. Perhaps I am not made for Lower League management and can only focus on my beloved Arsenal!

That is quite a transfer kitty you have now, are you sure there is not any area that you are needing to strengthen? Perhaps a versatile player to use for cover in thes injury plagued times?

How are you finding Jovetić? I got him in mine and he had some pretty good performances for me early on.

arsenal-1_zps7db11a7f.jpg

END OF SEASON ROUNDUP

FA CUP

We had a very disappointing FA cup going out to West Brom in the 4th round

League

We won the league with 104 points scoring 127 goals 1 more then our previous best, Liverpool City & United finish of the top 4. Chelsea(5th place) Reading (FA cup winners) & Swansea(6th place) are in the Europa League

Cap 1 Cup

We were knocked out in the quarters by winners Chelsea

Community Shield

We lost the community Shield to United

Champions League

We beat Juventus in the final with and impressive 4-2 victory.

Retirements

Michel Vorm retires

A Ball Winning Midfielder in a flat 4-4-2 is not a great match generally, so not surprised he does not look great to you - but I have always found him a superb player, well worth developing.

I have since changed my formation so now use a 4-1-3-2 so I guess he would be a bit better in his natural dm position although I play Arteta there as well but I may look for someone better or as rotation next season depending how le coq and arteta do for me.

cheers

** one more thing I don't play any wide players as its a narrow formation which uses 2 box2box roles either side of an adavanced playmaker , can Chamberlain play a central role as a b2b?

Hi all,

I have just posted this in the Tactics and Training Discussion thread but I thought I would post it here too - decent chance someone has already had experience of my particular issue...

Welcome any thoughts!!

Hi all,

I wonder if I could ask for a bit of help.

I am trying to set up a 4-1-2-2-1 (with 1DM, 2MC's, AML/R and a ST). My (very) basic thinking is that I wanted to create a solid formation which plays patient possession football (I know everyone seems to be trying this) with plenty of width; either from the full backs who can attack because a DM is waiting to cover or from the AML/AMR.

Anyways, to get to the point. I have tried this so far and encountered two main problems which I think are stopping the tactic from working properly.

1) My two MC's are having to cover far too much ground and are 1) ineffectual 2) knackered after 60 minutes. I am playing as Arsenal and have been using Wilshere/Cazorla as AP-A and then another (sometimes Wilshere, sometimes Ramsey) as DLP-S or B2B-S.

2) My ST is often isolated and again, therefore ineffectual. I have tried quite a few options here (probably too many to be honest) DLF, AF, TM, P. Bearing in mind, I am Arsenal and reluctant to buy a whole new squad I have been rotating between Giroud (TM or DLF) and Walcott (AF, P).

I appreciate that by not having an AMC I am likely to have issues with supporting a lone front man but I have also similarly found a DMC is a very good idea, particularly as many AI sides employ an AMC.

So, the question is, can anyone provide any guidance (either written) or point me towards an existing thread which covers a similar issue?

Really do welcome any thoughts.

arsenaltacticsteam3.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Llew_Arshavin23,

Another fantastic update. Finding it hard to stay disciplined and focus on my Brazil save when I keep reading your Arsenal updates. May be time to fire up my save again. Perhaps I am not made for Lower League management and can only focus on my beloved Arsenal!

That is quite a transfer kitty you have now, are you sure there is not any area that you are needing to strengthen? Perhaps a versatile player to use for cover in thes injury plagued times?

How are you finding Jovetić? I got him in mine and he had some pretty good performances for me early on.

Glad you like them, Mark. I found it hard to concentrate on my previous Arsenal saves, but this time, for some reason, I've really gotten into it.

It is a rather hefty transfer budget. I doubt I'll do much with it, mind. Maybe a few talented youngsters, but I predict little movement in January. As for Stevan Jovetić, he's been inconsistently good this season. He has had to put shifts in positions or roles that may not be his best, but he's done well, in all honesty. Next season I'm expecting him to pick it up even further.

arsenalintroduction2.png

Monthly Update - NOVEMBER

With the season bombing along, we performed well in the face of adversity during the month of October. With no less then around seven players - many of which are or have been first-team regulars - missing through injury, we had to make-do with the more than capable players in the squad and did very well. This month offered a bit more promise from the outset, but we still had tough obstacles to navigate. Here's how November went...

3.11.13 | Barclays Premier League;

Manchester City - 1 (Müller '9)

Arsenal - 1 (Rosický '71)

We visited The Etihad Stadium with a somewhat depleted squad, but we played well and came away with a deserved point. We may not have been the offensive force that we have been this season, but a draw will more than do. The Mancunians took the lead after Thomas Müller, signed in the Summer, too advantage of a penalty area meléê. We responded well and probably should've got the equaliser earlier than we did, with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain missing a fine chance just after half-time. The equaliser came through the brilliant Tomáš Rosický, who linked up well with Stevan Jovetić before finishing expertly.

6.11.13 | UEFA Champions League - Group Stage;

Borussia Dortmund - 1 (Bender '74)

Arsenal - 1 (Walcott '12)

It wasn't the best of performances, but we took away a vital point from the Westfalenstadion - making sure we topped our UEFA Champions League group. Theo Walcott, who's been blighted by injury, gave us the lead through a side-footed finish after good work on the left from Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. BVB really ramped up the pressure from then on, grabbing a belated equaliser three-quarters into the match through the most unlikeliest of scorers: Sven Bender. We held on, just, and sealed an important draw.

9.11.13 | Barclays Premier League;

Arsenal - 3 (Jovetić '6, Giroud '40, Walcott '88)

QPR - 1 (Zamora '80)

After our midweek exertions in the industrial heart of Germany, we returned to more familiar surroundings at The Emirates. Stevan Jovetić got us off to a flyer with a back-post tap in, before Olivier Giroud doubled our lead, finishing well with his weaker right-foot. The overall performance was good as we controlled the game and passed well, but Bobby Zamora's remarkably easy goal highlighted our worryingly weak defensive underbelly. Theo Walcott polished off a fine team move two minutes from time; it's two goals in as many games since his return to fitness.

Gervinho made his first appearance for The Arsenal since he injured himself last month, too.

23.11.13 | Barclays Premier League;

Cardiff City - 1 (Kim Bo-Kyung '80, Wittingham missed penalty '87)

Arsenal - 2 (Wilshere '25, Zambrano '30)

We got off a bit lightly here. Jack Wilshere continued his brilliant form when yet another one of his creative, graceful dribbles from deep culminated in a masterful goal. We doubled our lead just five minutes later: Carlos Zambrano was there, at the back-post, to volley home Mikel Arteta's free-kick. We eased off ever so slightly and, ultimately, paid for it. South Korean international, Kim Bo-Kuyng lost his marker and scrambled the ball home. André Marriner's awarded a dubious penalty to the home side, before justice was done as Wojciech Szczęsny saved the penalty comfortably. A lucky but important three points.

26.11.13 | UEFA Champions League - Group Stage;

Shakhtar Donetsk - 1 (Taison '24)

Arsenal - 2 (Giroud '58, Ramsey '90+4)

We travelled to the Donbass-Arena with qualification into the latter stages of the competition confirmed, but there was still a desire to do well - and we certainly did do well. Shakhtar's Brazilian contingent gave us problems in the return fixture, and they did so again: Luíz Adriano crossed the ball to Taison who made no mistake at the far post. Santi Cazorla made his long-awaited return to the first-team setting up Olivier Giroud's equaliser. We had chances to win it before the 94th minute, but it was fantastic to see Aaron Ramsey score the winning goal, coming on from the substitutes' bench, after racing onto a poor Olexandr Kucher back pass. Fantastic result.

30.11.13 | Barclays Premier League;

Sunderland - 2 (Fletcher '13, '82)

Arsenal - 2 (Cazorla '55, Walcott '84)

There have been far too many of these games this season - games in which we let it pass by until 10-minutes left when we shape up a little bit. Defensive frailties have been exploited by the opposition this term, with Fletcher's brace emanating from defensive mistakes, especially his second. Santi Cazorla and Theo Walcott got us on level terms - the former a rather ugly finish, while the latter a good team move with both Cazorla and Rosický at the heart of proceedings. Improvement needed, all-in-all.

bpltable1stdecember.png

Barclays Premier League table - as of December 1st

YOUTH DEVELOPMENT

With the development of youth players in the forefront of my mind, here are three players who've impressed on the training pitch in recent weeks and months. The talent is everywhere...

KEITH TOASE 16-YEARS OLD | CENTRAL MIDFIELD | ENGLAND | Impressed at Under-18 level this season

10195212.png

A product of our famed youth academy, Keith Toase has a huge future ahead of him. He's been an ever-present in the Under-18's team this season as they top their respective league. The prodigious 16-year old has tallied up an impressive four goals, while creating a further six, in twenty appearances. Already an England youth international, Toase bares notable similarities to current first-teamer Jack Wilshere - not least his love for The Arsenal Football Club.

MICAH SOMMERVILLE 17-YEARS OLD | FORWARD | ENGLAND | Signed from Crewe Alexandra for a measly £120,000

22855051.png

Signed for a £120,000 from nPower League 1 side Crewe Alexandra, Micah Sommerville has already made his Arsenal debut, coming off the substitutes' bench against Huddersfield in the Capital One Cup - and assisting Yaya Sanogo's winning goal! Possessing unprecedented technical attributes for such a young lad, Sommerville leaves a lot to be desired as he's still progressing with a tough training regime to improve his pace and acceleration.

BILAL KAMARIEH 17-YEARS OLD | WINGER | GERMANY | Knocking on the door of the German national youth set-up

52075422.png

Yet another talented youngster brought to the club for tuppence. In Kamarieh's case, he was signed on a free transfer from 2.Bundesliga side, BSC Hertha. His raw talent is plain to see, but he's got a long way to go until he stakes a claim to a first-team squad membership. Much like the aforementioned Toase and Sommerville, the young German-Lebanese winger has impressed at both U-18 and Reserve team level.

Hope you enjoy it. May add to it sooner rather than later...

Hi all,

I have just posted this in the Tactics and Training Discussion thread but I thought I would post it here too - decent chance someone has already had experience of my particular issue...

Welcome any thoughts!!

Hi all,

I wonder if I could ask for a bit of help.

I am trying to set up a 4-1-2-2-1 (with 1DM, 2MC's, AML/R and a ST). My (very) basic thinking is that I wanted to create a solid formation which plays patient possession football (I know everyone seems to be trying this) with plenty of width; either from the full backs who can attack because a DM is waiting to cover or from the AML/AMR.

Anyways, to get to the point. I have tried this so far and encountered two main problems which I think are stopping the tactic from working properly.

1) My two MC's are having to cover far too much ground and are 1) ineffectual 2) knackered after 60 minutes. I am playing as Arsenal and have been using Wilshere/Cazorla as AP-A and then another (sometimes Wilshere, sometimes Ramsey) as DLP-S or B2B-S.

2) My ST is often isolated and again, therefore ineffectual. I have tried quite a few options here (probably too many to be honest) DLF, AF, TM, P. Bearing in mind, I am Arsenal and reluctant to buy a whole new squad I have been rotating between Giroud (TM or DLF) and Walcott (AF, P).

I appreciate that by not having an AMC I am likely to have issues with supporting a lone front man but I have also similarly found a DMC is a very good idea, particularly as many AI sides employ an AMC.

So, the question is, can anyone provide any guidance (either written) or point me towards an existing thread which covers a similar issue?

Really do welcome any thoughts.

arsenaltacticsteam3.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'd Change you stiker to a DLF or Trequartista so he'll drop back a bit , also change the dlp to an BWM-D you can get Diame from West Ham for 3.5mill - release clause,I'd also sell a few players to help balance the books Arshavin Gervingo should go. I'd also wouldn't push up that far with my defensive line

Dede from Vasco is a MUST BUY IMO you can get him for 26million(foreign club release clause). he excellent as a cd-d and if you develop him right as a bwm-d

arsenal_zps4798531a.jpg

August Update

Transfers

In: David Hellmund - Estudiantes - 2.8m - 1.7k/week , Alex Nasa - Real Mardrid 45.5m - 170k/week , Hans-Werner Könler - 850k - Schalke - 55quid/week , Jens Schößler - Werder Bremen - 3.4m - 3.1k/week , Luis Miguel Zabalza - Athletic - 525k - 3.1k/week , Francesco Ruffini - Roma - 3m - 3.2k/week,

Matthieu Papon - Werder Bremen - 2.5m - 4.5k/week

Out: Daniel Zabala - Man City - 20m , Lee Brittin - Sligo Rovers - 220k , Lubos Jindrich - QPR - 4.1m , Kyriakos Papadopoulos - Livepool - 15m ,

Moi Gomez - Real Madrid - 22.5m , Emilliano Hollender - Schalke - 13m , David Nunes - Newcastle - 5.25m ,

Loans

fml-6_zps9a660f7f.jpg

07/08/21 | Community Shield (Final) | Wembley

Arsenal 1 (Fierro 43)

Reading 3 (Balbuena 11 , Ji Dong-Wong 13 , Redmond 88)

14/08/21 | Barclays Premiership | Emirates

Arsenal 2 ( Alex Nasa 3 , Fierro 13)

QPR 0

21/08/21 | Barclays Premiership |Brittania Stadium

Arsenal 2 ( Cavani 21 , Fierro 36)

Stoke 1 ( Carrol 82)

28/08/21 | European Super Cup(Final) | Ulleval Stadium

Arsenal 1 (Lambert 23)

Man City 0

injurycross_zpsb6e79f56.jpg

Correct as of 01/09/21

Jack Shay ; Strained Knee Ligaments ; 2-3 weeks

After a brief break from the game due to University commitments and a consequential relapse. I concluded my business in the January 2014 transfer window.

However, before I divulge into transfer dealings the current state of the top of the league is as followed:

5cdgr4.jpg

Manchester United enjoyed a strong January, winning all four games with Fergie, who is still at the helm, winning Manager of the Month. United brushed aside Swansea, Hull, Tottenham, Liverpool and Yeovil in the cup scoring 19 goals in the process. Us, Arsenal, also endured a good month with homes wins over Newcastle, Manchester City and Everton before losing 1-0 away to West Brom. This may of been due to the tough time we endured in the FA Cup playing 3 games, with a tightly fought 3rd round encounter against Middlesbrough, we also have a home replay to Leicester. Manchester City and Liverpool also faced tough fixtures in January with Manchester City certainly had the better results with Liverpool winning just 3 of the 9 games they had. Wolves also kept pace with the top 4.

Arsenal and the two Manchester clubs performed the most transfer dealings of the window. Manchester United made the strong signings of winger Gabirel Torje (£10.25m) and Isco for his £17.5m release clause on deadline day. This Isco deal was partly financed by us though the departure of Nani for £12m who moved to the Emirates on deadline day. This manic deadline day was the result of the impulsive sale of Theo Walcott to Manchester City for £23m and Santi Cazorla to Real Madrid for £20m. This financed the Nani deal and the purchase of West Brom's Craig Dawson where the center back was enjoying a strong season. I met his £8.25 m release clause and he will become the fifth center back at the club.

Before deadline day I had concluded deals for James Ward-Prowse for £1m and Dnipro's Eugene Konoplyanka who joined on a bosman. Simone Pepe and Scott Sinclair's loans were terminated with both subsequently transfer listed, with Pepe signing for Valencia. Manchester City signed Armenia international Henrik Mkhitaryan from Shaktar for £11.75m who was followed also by Theo Walcott. Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham conducted no transfer business of note.

Total Expenditure: £55m

Total Income: £77m

A nice £22m added to the clubs coffers. :)

For the second half of the season we still have to play Liverpool twice, Chelsea at Home, Manchester United at home and Tottenham away. This leaves us with a relatively comfortable run in in May as we hope to remain in contention for the title despite the obvious talent that has departed the club. I also have PSG to face in the last 16 of the Champions League and whatever FA Cup ties arise.

At the close season I will most likely to look to offload Podolski who's performances fail to justify his £100k p/w wage and Mertersacker who despite being an absolute rock at the back will most likely leave due to his age and his £80k p/w wage. Zabaleta may also depart in the summer if his performances are not outstanding and Arteta also as I look to rebuild for a new era.

arsenal_zps4798531a.jpg

September Update

11/09/21 | Barclays Premiership | Emirates

Arsenal 6 (Wilshere 41 , Lewis O/G 46 , Alex Nasa 48 & 59 & 73 & 87)

West Brom 0

15/09/21 | UEFA Champions League (Group Stage)| Emirates

Arsenal 2 (Fierro 14 , Dede 25)

Shakhtar 0

18/09/21 | Barclays Premieship | Madejski

Arsenal 4 ( Alex Nasa 12 , Dede 42 , Fierro 57 , Alex Nasa 76)

Reading 0

22/09/21 | Capital One Cup | Emirates

Arsenal 2 (Dede 3 , Fierro 35, Jimenez Inj 57 , Jose Antonio Inj 79)

Tottenham 1 (Necid 8 , Martinez Inj 9)

29/09/21 | Barclays Premiership | Emirates

Arsenal 2 ( Papon S/O 13 , Alex Nasa 35 & 52, Wilshere Inj 79)

Liverpool 1 (Damiao 46)

29/09/21 | UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE(Group Stage) | Veltins-Arena

Arsenal 2 (Fierro 25 , Bennett 66

Schalke 1 (Borysiuk 37)

Correct as of 01/10/21

Jose Antonio Fractured Cheekbone 2-3 weeks

Jack Wilshere Twisted Ankle 12-24 days

Sebasian Jimenez Torn Hamstring 2-3 months

arsenal2_zpsa4e0fd3c.jpg

Having posted how well Mertesacker is doing in my game above, I feel I should post my tactics, as this is by far the best I have ever done on any iteration of FM

arsetactics.jpg

As you can see its all lop-sided and specifically tailored to the strengths of the players at my disposal. It was inspired by an in-depth article I am writing about Fiorentina's tactics under Montella, particularly the formation he has employed since their January blip, but tailored to the strengths of the Arsenal squad. The difference with Montella is that since he has ditched his fairly traditional 352 in favour of a lop sided 442, he has maintained his central three, but Ljajic's upturn in form has given him a sort of free left-sided inside forward role, making room for Pasqual on the overlap, whilst providing intermittent support for Jovetic or Toni up front. With Arsenal I felt their greater defensive strength and better potential striking options would allow them to be more effective using the left sided attacker in a 'Bergkamp' role, and encouraging the left of the central three (either Wilshire, Rosicky or occasionally Cazorla) to drift wide, supporting Gibbs on the overlap. This was also decided upon because none of the Arsenal striking options are ideal lone strikers, and neither were any of my targets. Accordingly I sold Monreal and brought in the more attacking Jose Angel from Roma at the end of season 1 to ensure I could stick with the tactic (at a profit of 11m!). Against tough opponents, I have the option of dropping the DLP into a DM role and putting the DLF back into the AML (IF) role, also pushing gibbs back to full-back. But so far this has only been necessary against the manchester clubs and against Spurs,Chelsea and Real Madrid away (not yet played Barca or Bayern!).

As an illustration of JUST how effective this has been:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/803/arse1213.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/541/arse1314tojan.jpg/

This, as I say, is by far the best I have ever done in this game and so far the best I have seen with Arsenal. In season 1 I won all the cups as well, With Jores Okore (2.1m), (Kurt Zouma (10.5m over 48m), Diame (now sold at a 10m profit), Andreas Cornelius (1.5m), Matt Phillips (2.2m) and Simon Vukcevic, Daniel Carvalho on frees - as my only significant signings (ie ready for 1st team action), and all were back ups. (maybe played 30 games between them in all comps). The only other thing of significance is that I cancelled Bendtner's loan in the editor as I wanted to give him a shot at redemption! He did ok, before demanding a massive pay rise and finding himself sent to Inter for a over-priced 14m.

I have been a bit more exuberant in the summer of 2013.

Sales: Apart from Monreal and Bendtner (14m each!), I got 16.5m for Sagna, 6m for Fabianski, 2m for Afobe, 8.25 for Park, 8 for Chamakh, 6m for Vukcevic, and a few bits an bobs for reserves. This along with Arshavin and Squillachi leaving freed up a LOT of wages and gave me a very sizeable transfer kitty. This was added to by 13m for Diame.

In came: Micah Richards (7.5), Jovetic (15m), Cuadrado (5m), Jose Angel (2.1), Wanyama (7.5), Benteke (13m+Denilson - who no-one wanted to buy him), and in Jan 2014 Rodwell (6.5), Scott Sinclair (2.5), James McCarthy (5.5) and the big one - Javier Pastore as a straight swap for the injury prone Diaby who lost his place to Ramsey anyway. With a few regens and kids (who will become home-grown) brought in as well, I am pretty much set, and can rely on Bosmans and the youth set up to keep me going.

It will be interesting if I can keep this success going. the main problem seems to be crushing wage demands from players. Having had a great season winning the quad, Santi wants 170k p/w wages, and Jack's not far behind. Im fobbing them off for the moment, but if Pastore comes good, Santi may have to be let go. Sagna was sold as he wanted 160k p/w. Which for a 30 year old full-back is a joke....

arsenal_zps4798531a.jpg

October Update

02/10/21 ; Barclays Premiership ; Reebok

Arsenal 3 (Alex Nasa 12 & 34 & 57)

Bolton 0

16/10/21 ; Barclays Premiership ; Emirates

Arsenal 5 (Alex Nasa 20 & 30 , Mostafa 41 , Oxlade-Chamberlain 57 , Dede 59)

West Ham 0

20/10/21 ; UEFA Champion League (Grp Stage); Emirates

Arsenal 4 (Alex Nasa 1 & 50 & PEN 58 , Dede 60)

Olympiakos 1 (Traore 7)

23/10/21 ; Baclays Premiership ; Turf Moor

Arsenal 4 ( Mostafa 13 , Fierro 17 , Oxlade-Chamberlain 25 , Shay 41)

Burnley 1(Martinez 77)

27/10/21 ; Capital One Cup(Rd 4) ; Goodison Park

Arsenal 2 (Bennett 23 , Shay 43)

Everton 0

30/10/21 ; Barclays Premiership ; Emirates

Arsenal 0

Newcastle 1 ( Montero 4)

Correct as of 06/11/21

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Sprained Ankle 3-4 Weeks

Sebastian Jimenez Torn Hamstring 3-5 Weeks

Mohamed Mostafa Twisted Knee 1-3 Days

Alex Nasa 4-7 Days

arsenal2_zpsd9bf36fd.jpg

Having posted how well Mertesacker is doing in my game above, I feel I should post my tactics, as this is by far the best I have ever done on any iteration of FM

arsetactics.jpg

Very interesting, makes me want to load up a save and give it a go, I love unconventional tactics, especially when they are well thought out and work for the strengths of a team.. congrats on the success.

A few questions if I may?

Where do the goals and assists mostly come from?

And how does it play in the engine? i.e fast counter attacking football or beautiful slow passing etc?

What sort of team instructions do you usually have? i.e direct passing with lots of width/short and narrow?

Very interesting, makes me want to load up a save and give it a go, I love unconventional tactics, especially when they are well thought out and work for the strengths of a team.. congrats on the success.

A few questions if I may?

Where do the goals and assists mostly come from?

And how does it play in the engine? i.e fast counter attacking football or beautiful slow passing etc?

What sort of team instructions do you usually have? i.e direct passing with lots of width/short and narrow?

Hi there.

First key is not being frightened to take any opportunities to rotate at home against weaker opposition and in cups against lower division sides, as this keeps the big guns fresh and the reserves match fit.

My team instructions are :

Passing - Shorter

Closing - Press More (VITAL)

Roaming - More Roaming

All the rest Default

Defensive line - Bang Halfway

Width - Just past halfway (normal)

Tempo - Just into Quick

Time Wasting - Rarely

Counter Attack - Yes

No offside trap.

I have Arteta at DLP as playmaker (sometimes the MLC AP if he is out), Giroud/Benteke as Target Man with mixed supply.

Or in other words how I think Arsenal need to play in real life!

TM gets most of the goals (48 in 65 for Giroud & 10 in 8 starts and 10 subs for Benteke). The DLF chips in too with almost 1 in every 2 games, and the rest depends on who plays where. Jack & Santi get goals from the MLC (AP), and if played wide Theo gets a few in the winger role (whereas Santi/Ox/Cuadrado get more assists). Gibbs chips in with a few goals and assists down the left too. Also my set-pieces are quite effective. Mert doing the near post flick on with Kos/TV5 charging in at the back post while Giroud worries the keeper. Probably get 15 a season from corners, shared among centre-halves, the right-back and the odd scrppy strikers goal.

It is quite balanced in that it adapts a little to opponents. If someone is putting me under pressure it can get decent counters (always leave winger upfield at corners!) at pace, but equally the solid midfield 3 interchanging and the target man mean it can cope with a slower possession re-cycling game. With a relatively settled first 18 it can be very effective and fluid. I recently spanked liverpool 6-0 at home, and 5 of them were lovely team goals. I still need better back up for Gibbs I think, but other than that, I have 2 good players in every position, so can no focus on my long term aim of having a squad which is all home grown bar a few world stars. That said, Lewandowski on a bosman may be too good to turn down ;-)

That's brilliant.. thanks for the detailed explanation.. thought i'd give it a little run out with my newly created Cardiff save in pre season, but obviously catered it for my side.

Granted it was against weaker opposition but the results and match stats were impressive...

c0KYvjL.png?1

But I won't spam this thread with irrelevant info.

Thanks.

That's brilliant.. thanks for the detailed explanation.. thought i'd give it a little run out with my newly created Cardiff save in pre season, but obviously catered it for my side.

Granted it was against weaker opposition but the results and match stats were impressive...

But I won't spam this thread with irrelevant info.

Thanks.

Great to see it working for someone else!

trying to sign Jones from MU he said he is interested, he is visible on my shortlist, it even says on his profile that he wants to impress me in his next game but everytime i get a bid accepted his agent wont let me offer him a contract because he isn't interested!

Finished my first season in fifth JUST, very close!

aleague.jpg

Won the FA Cup

arsenal_zps4798531a.jpg

October Update

02/10/21 ; Barclays Premiership ; Reebok

Arsenal 3 (Alex Nasa 12 & 34 & 57)

Bolton 0

16/10/21 ; Barclays Premiership ; Emirates

Arsenal 5 (Alex Nasa 20 & 30 , Mostafa 41 , Oxlade-Chamberlain 57 , Dede 59)

West Ham 0

20/10/21 ; UEFA Champion League (Grp Stage); Emirates

Arsenal 4 (Alex Nasa 1 & 50 & PEN 58 , Dede 60)

Olympiakos 1 (Traore 7)

23/10/21 ; Baclays Premiership ; Turf Moor

Arsenal 4 ( Mostafa 13 , Fierro 17 , Oxlade-Chamberlain 25 , Shay 41)

Burnley 1(Martinez 77)

27/10/21 ; Capital One Cup(Rd 4) ; Goodison Park

Arsenal 2 (Bennett 23 , Shay 43)

Everton 0

30/10/21 ; Barclays Premiership ; Emirates

Arsenal 0

Newcastle 1 ( Montero 4)

Correct as of 06/11/21

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Sprained Ankle 3-4 Weeks

Sebastian Jimenez Torn Hamstring 3-5 Weeks

Mohamed Mostafa Twisted Knee 1-3 Days

Alex Nasa 4-7 Days

arsenal2_zpsd9bf36fd.jpg

Man Nasa is playing brilliantly for you! What role does he play for you?

arsetactics.jpg

As you can see its all lop-sided and specifically tailored to the strengths of the players at my disposal. It was inspired by an in-depth article I am writing about Fiorentina's tactics under Montella, particularly the formation he has employed since their January blip, but tailored to the strengths of the Arsenal squad. The difference with Montella is that since he has ditched his fairly traditional 352 in favour of a lop sided 442, he has maintained his central three, but Ljajic's upturn in form has given him a sort of free left-sided inside forward role, making room for Pasqual on the overlap, whilst providing intermittent support for Jovetic or Toni up front. With Arsenal I felt their greater defensive strength and better potential striking options would allow them to be more effective using the left sided attacker in a 'Bergkamp' role, and encouraging the left of the central three (either Wilshire, Rosicky or occasionally Cazorla) to drift wide, supporting Gibbs on the overlap. This was also decided upon because none of the Arsenal striking options are ideal lone strikers, and neither were any of my targets. Accordingly I sold Monreal and brought in the more attacking Jose Angel from Roma at the end of season 1 to ensure I could stick with the tactic (at a profit of 11m!). Against tough opponents, I have the option of dropping the DLP into a DM role and putting the DLF back into the AML (IF) role, also pushing gibbs back to full-back. But so far this has only been necessary against the manchester clubs and against Spurs,Chelsea and Real Madrid away (not yet played Barca or Bayern!).

As an illustration of JUST how effective this has been:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/803/arse1213.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/541/arse1314tojan.jpg/

This, as I say, is by far the best I have ever done in this game and so far the best I have seen with Arsenal. In season 1 I won all the cups as well, With Jores Okore (2.1m), (Kurt Zouma (10.5m over 48m), Diame (now sold at a 10m profit), Andreas Cornelius (1.5m), Matt Phillips (2.2m) and Simon Vukcevic, Daniel Carvalho on frees - as my only significant signings (ie ready for 1st team action), and all were back ups. (maybe played 30 games between them in all comps). The only other thing of significance is that I cancelled Bendtner's loan in the editor as I wanted to give him a shot at redemption! He did ok, before demanding a massive pay rise and finding himself sent to Inter for a over-priced 14m.

I have been a bit more exuberant in the summer of 2013.

Sales: Apart from Monreal and Bendtner (14m each!), I got 16.5m for Sagna, 6m for Fabianski, 2m for Afobe, 8.25 for Park, 8 for Chamakh, 6m for Vukcevic, and a few bits an bobs for reserves. This along with Arshavin and Squillachi leaving freed up a LOT of wages and gave me a very sizeable transfer kitty. This was added to by 13m for Diame.

In came: Micah Richards (7.5), Jovetic (15m), Cuadrado (5m), Jose Angel (2.1), Wanyama (7.5), Benteke (13m+Denilson - who no-one wanted to buy him), and in Jan 2014 Rodwell (6.5), Scott Sinclair (2.5), James McCarthy (5.5) and the big one - Javier Pastore as a straight swap for the injury prone Diaby who lost his place to Ramsey anyway. With a few regens and kids (who will become home-grown) brought in as well, I am pretty much set, and can rely on Bosmans and the youth set up to keep me going.

It will be interesting if I can keep this success going. the main problem seems to be crushing wage demands from players. Having had a great season winning the quad, Santi wants 170k p/w wages, and Jack's not far behind. Im fobbing them off for the moment, but if Pastore comes good, Santi may have to be let go. Sagna was sold as he wanted 160k p/w. Which for a 30 year old full-back is a joke....

Very interesting mate. Keep us informed of how it goes.

So a few quick questions. Do you do much manual slider tweaking? Or you just rely on the roles? I also find it interesting that you have Giroud on the left of the front two and Poldi on the right, would you not put Poldi on the left so he can drift around in that space a bit more and leave Giroud a bit more space to get open in the centre?

How does Walcott play for you? Only on the wing or do you give him runs up top?

milner any good? in a hurry

good buy. he is good tutor with professional personality. amb, pro, det all quite high. he also offers different style of MC with decent defending skill. can buy him under 10m if he requested transfer (most likely will happen). get gel with Arsenal fast. peak age.

the only cons is he is still not the type of MC that Arsenal needs (strong defending skill with decent passing skill). Inler is way much better than him but also twice expensive.

anyway, I had bought Milner in my save when i need a MC with more defending with passing skill but not much budget. he had brought up several youngsters and i am happy with this deal. good luck.

milner any good? in a hurry

good buy. he is good tutor with professional personality. amb, pro, det all quite high. he also offers different style of MC with decent defending skill. can buy him under 10m if he requested transfer (most likely will happen). get gel with Arsenal fast. peak age.

the only cons is he is still not the type of MC that Arsenal needs (strong defending skill with decent passing skill). Inler is way much better than him but also twice expensive.

anyway, I had bought Milner in my save when i need a MC with more defending with passing skill but not much budget. he had brought up several youngsters and i am happy with this deal. good luck.

Hi all. Have started an Arsenal save. Want to bring back as many former players as staff as I can. Nice to read about your updates on the club I love.

I have started OK, but don't feel I have found the right formula yet. I hav one question for you: Santi Cazorla. I can't get the best out of him. How do you play him? What is your experiences?

Archived