Sports Interactive Community
llama3

FM13 Arsenal Thread - Victoria Concordia Crescit

I had a go at the beta but could not tolerate the fullback bug.

My 4-2-3-1 [Wide] was getting totaly destroyed by MLS teams.

I will have to wait until they fix if before starting my real save.

Anyone got Cazorla doing anything? I've tried him as an advanced playmaker and then a Treq, in both he just plays low 6's.

Anyone got Cazorla doing anything? I've tried him as an advanced playmaker and then a Treq, in both he just plays low 6's.
he does ok for me as a amc-treq

Like Llama3, i have him playing Advanced playmaker, Attack. usually in the center next to a box to box player with a deep lying playmaker just behind them, had to use cazorla on the wing for two games in a row now though(still as an advanced playmaker attack) and hes performed well, 3 goals in 5 games, 1assist.

Got Giroud firing too, hes 5goals in 6 games, 2 assist and like real life gets in goal scoring positions very often :), i play him as an advanced forward with attack setting.

I've started my Arsenal pretty early this year, and the first season went through with great success, doing well in the league and winning the CL finale agains Juve due to Poldi scoring a penalty in the 92. minute.

Anyways, these are the notable transfer I had during the first season (the numbers might be wrong, as I'm using NOK):

In:

Isco (17 mill)

Ricardo Rodriguez (16 mill)

Ruben Yttergård Jenssen (1.5 mill)

Jose Enrique (6 mill)

Kurt Zouma (27 mill)

Out:

Chamakh (9.5 mill)

Arshavin (5 mill)

Djorou (6.5 mill)

Gervinho (9.5 mill)

Andre Santos (3 mill)

I've mainly deployed a narrow 4-1-2-1-2, with very defensive full backs.

GK: Szcz

DL (Defending): Enrique/Gibbs

DC (Cover): Kos/Mert

DC (Stopper): Verm/Zouma

DR (Defending): Sagna/Rodriguez

DM (Anchorman): Coq/Frimpong

MC (Deep-Lying Playmaker): Arteta/Ramsey

MC (Box-to-Box): Wilshere/Ox

AMC (Offensive Playmaker): Cazorla/Isco

ST (Trequartista): Giroud (Isco as back-up)

ST (Poacher): Poldi/Walcott

Poldi and Giroud ended the season with 45 goals combined, with Cazorla coming in third on the top scorer list with 12 goals (and 13 assists, fair play to the little spaniard).

I've started season two by clearing out some rubble and buying a lot of way-too-expensive-youngsters. Hopefully some of them will turn out to be brilliant.

Inn:

Martin Kelly (DoF bought him for 7 mill while I was on vacation. Oh well, another back-up for Sagna)

Newgens (90 mill)

Out:

Mertesacker (21 mill)

Denilson (5 mill)

Chu-Young Park (11 mill)

Nicklas Bendtner (7.5 mill)

The season has started well, with one point loss against Newcastle in 5 games, with Walcott showing his worth with 6 goals from 7 games (2 of those games off the bench), having an average rating of 7.98. Ox and Poldi have also had a decent start.

I'm working on selling Diaby, Frimpong and Ryo as they doesn't really fit in with my team, or are just not good enough to warant a place on the bench.

Why have people been selling Mertesacker? Too slow?

He compensates for his speed fairly well with positioning and anticipation, but his determination (10) is far below what I consider viable.

Edit: Typo (quite a few, considering the length of the sentence :o)

I keep getting comments along the lines of "we need to be tighter in our own area as it's too easy to get shots off right now" - what should I be changing? Closing down is already pretty high!

could be a case of being caught out on the break instead - general gist is that your opponents are getting a lot of shots away, not necessarily a marking or closing down issue

Advanced Playmaker - Attack

Llama what midfield set would you use for Arsenal I was thinking of using 4231 deep with Arteta playing in the DMC as a deep lying playmaker defend. Diaby/Ramsey/Wilshere cannot play the DMC role so I would have to buy another DMC to play alongside Arteta. I am playing this way because I don't think SI has fixed the problem with the central midfielders dropping deep to protect the space between the central defence and midfield.

If you can recommend a midfield set up to use with Arteta and Diaby that would allow me to protect the space in front of the central defence that would be great.

Llama what midfield set would you use for Arsenal I was thinking of using 4231 deep with Arteta playing in the DMC as a deep lying playmaker defend. Diaby/Ramsey/Wilshere cannot play the DMC role so I would have to buy another DMC to play alongside Arteta. I am playing this way because I don't think SI has fixed the problem with the central midfielders dropping deep to protect the space between the central defence and midfield.

If you can recommend a midfield set up to use with Arteta and Diaby that would allow me to protect the space in front of the central defence that would be great.

First of all you are forgetting Coquelin, who is actually a good midfielder.

Second of all - I would use a normal 4-2-3-1 (play to your team's strengths - lots of good central midfielders) i am using Central Midfielder - Defend (Arteta), Central Midfielder - Support (Wilshere) & Advanced Playmaker - Attack (Cazorla) at AMC

Started my save earlier, all is looking rosy. Signed Demba Ba for £7M (his release clause) to add more depth up top as well as on the left flank, and also signed Adryan and Oskar Hiljemark for the reserves/youth squads. Sold Arshavin for £4M to Dinamo Moscow, Chamakh for £7M to Porto, loaned out Djourou to QPR (£6.25M agreed fee) as well as the majority of the promising youth players to various clubs, as arranged by Liam Brady (Head of Youth development).

Won my first match 3-1 at home against Newcastle, with Chamberlain, Gervinho and Diaby on target, the possession-based tactic obviously working with us keeping 64% of possession in the game. Currently using a 4-2-3-1, with an IF - Attack on the left (Podolski, Gervinho, Ba) and a Winger - Attack on the right (Chambo, Walcott, Gervinho). Have Diaby playing as a B2B midfielder alongside Arteta as a DLP, Santi as an AP > Attack at AMC behind Giroud up top as an Advanced Forward. Lots of depth in the squad for once this year. Love it.

another year, another class thread :thup:

Not starting a proper save till the game is out in 2 weeks, to many issues for me to play just now, looking forward to it

Peter Hill-Wood just went ahead and agreed a £19M fee with Newcastle for Yohan Cabaye... should I finalise the deal or is it not worth it?

Peter Hill-Wood just went ahead and agreed a £19M fee with Newcastle for Yohan Cabaye... should I finalise the deal or is it not worth it?

If only this happened in real life! I'd buy him and pop him in over Diaby in your team.

Chelsea have offered me more than 26 million for walcott though 9 million was upfront. So you guys should try asking them for the same.

First of all you are forgetting Coquelin, who is actually a good midfielder.

Second of all - I would use a normal 4-2-3-1 (play to your team's strengths - lots of good central midfielders) i am using Central Midfielder - Defend (Arteta), Central Midfielder - Support (Wilshere) & Advanced Playmaker - Attack (Cazorla) at AMC

LLama are you using that with wide inside forwards/wingers or a narrow fomation?

cheers

Hi guys as a fellow arsenal lover i thought i must get my input to this as i never do normally, have started the beta version and some of the results are slightly shocking(good and bad), i got knocked out of the group stages in the champs league, celtic won my group, yes i know shocking! along with zenit who came second, but i qualified for the euro cup and have just knocked out schalke! which btw i cannot wait for wednesday nights game against them, still debating weather to go or not!

i sit top of the table on 1st march with recent wins against chelsea (4-0) and man city (4-3) the table goes like this -

1st - arsenal

2nd - liverpool

3rd - chelsea

4th - man utd - qualified for euro cup due to league cup win

5th - man city

6th - SOUTHAMPTON! shocking i know!

and one we all hate down in 9th is Spurs! hahah!

My transfers in have been -

mattheus - 1.8

jovetic - 11.5 plus giving djourou to

ba - 7mill - release clause, got to be done

perrota - loan pay half his wages at £20,500 a week and £500 a month ontop, good backup player and has saved me a few times due to some bad injuries in my team

baines - 11.25 i got him on deadline day in january

out -

djourou - px

arshavin - 4 to juventus

squillaci - 1.3 to newcastle

giroud - 10 to fenerbache

chamack - dortmund on loan

fabianski - 1.5 to real madrid, didnt expect that from them but i dont like him

rosicky - terminated his contract, didnt play him wasnt needed and he left without wanting any money so i saved 50k a week

my formation is 4-1-2-2-1 and my line up is

szczesny - gk

rb - sagna

cb - vermaelen

cb - koscielny

lb - gibbs

dm - perrota when arteta has been injured

cm/box to box mid - diaby

cm/advance playmaker - wilshere

amr winger - chamberlain

aml winger - podolski - gervinho atm due to injury to podolski

st - poacher - walcott or jovetic

sorry it is a bit long but thought i would get all the information for you guys

Yes the 7 million release clause for Ba is very tempting, don't blame you there matty :D

Decided to restart my Arsenal save. Just using this one to get used to Football Manager 2013. I'll be writing up a few brief updates as my save develops.

Decided to turn off Budgets in the first Transfer window. Gives a more realistic reflection of each clubs' squad.

anyone got a formation working yet? my defence is useless , I know its a possible match engine problem but how are you guys getting on in the defence department?

anyone got a formation working yet? my defence is useless , I know its a possible match engine problem but how are you guys getting on in the defence department?

i have conceded 38 goals in 31 games but have scored 68, its the highest conceded in the top 4 but i have scored the most in the top 4 my formation is

gk

fb - auto

cb

cb

fb auto

cdm - defensive mid

cm - box to box

cm - advanced playmaker

amr - winger - attack

aml - winget - attack

st - poacher

stil conceded goals, but i have hardly kept any clean sheets, a lot of 2-1 or 3-1 games but il take the 3 points :)

I have also started again, arent we a bunch of restarters :p, something was bugging me about my save couldnt put a finger on it, things were going well results wise, anyway..

Heres my transfer's

arsenal13z.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If the image is uploaded correctly you should see that i've made massive changes to the squad, Player exchange's i was quite happy with, got Rami for Gervinho and Cabaye for Mertersacker.

Only 3 games in so far - 3-2 win against Spurs, 2-1 away win at wigan and a 6-3 win at home against fulham, Giroud has been on fire! he has 7 goals in 3 games, 4 against fulham was an incredible display of finishing by the big man.

Ive got Giroud, Ba, Pod and Walcott for the striker role, but Llorente at athletic has announced he is leaving on a free and it looks set to be between us and chelsea in the race to sign him, though di matteo keeps upsetting llorente by praising him in the media after every game which apparently the spanish striker is "sick of the comments", also Cavani has been transfer listed by request, with an asking fee of 25mil, no current offers for him though.

If i manage to offload a few players (Rosicky and fabianski) i might possibly be able to afford some sort of upfront fee for Cavani, will have to see how it goes, till then giroud is doing the job.

that is quite an overhaul you did there :lol: Anyways i am going to be restarting my save as i was too busy playing around with the new features i forgot to build a proper squad and ended up with only Giroud as a striker!!

i have conceded 38 goals in 31 games but have scored 68, its the highest conceded in the top 4 but i have scored the most in the top 4 my formation is

gk

fb - auto

cb

cb

fb auto

cdm - defensive mid

cm - box to box

cm - advanced playmaker

amr - winger - attack

aml - winget - attack

st - poacher

stil conceded goals, but i have hardly kept any clean sheets, a lot of 2-1 or 3-1 games but il take the 3 points :)

nearly the same as mine , just the defence that's letting mine down too at present, being a new manager I always like to bring in a marque signing just not sure what position?

the only signings I have made is Alan Dzegoev after selling Walcott to chelsea for 22m which really is a great offer.

nearly the same as mine , just the defence that's letting mine down too at present, being a new manager I always like to bring in a marque signing just not sure what position?

the only signings I have made is Alan Dzegoev after selling Walcott to chelsea for 22m which really is a great offer.

Well imo, although wenger brought in steve bould as ass man to make some attempt at solving the defensive frailties they are still there so i always try to bring in players for center back/left back and defensive midfield.

Just played my first champions league match against Zenit, lost 2-1 Demba Ba got his first goal for the club and had another dissallowed (which the referee made a mistake in doing so, the "Authorities" stayed quite after i commented in the post match press conference, so im not too happy with that loss) got Malaga and PSG as my other group opponents, going to be tough to get through this group stage.

thats where people make a mistake i believe, walcott can get u 30 goals a season he had 22 in 38 games a season and i still got 7 games to go plus semi final of fa cup, who do you play as your cb's? i hate mertesacker and i will be selling him i use vermaelen and koscielny

thats where people make a mistake i believe, walcott can get u 30 goals a season he had 22 in 38 games a season and i still got 7 games to go plus semi final of fa cup, who do you play as your cb's? i hate mertesacker and i will be selling him i use vermaelen and koscielny

I always keep him, his pace is extremely valuable, as for CB's I use Verminator and Special K, i dont like Mertersacker or Djourou so i always offload them asap, ideally i want Hummels/Verminator/Chiellini/Koscielny

i did another save before i started this one and i got hummels for 18mill i was shocked! i find you cant have 4 world class cbs as its a nightmare rotating and you will always get 1 unhappy, its best to get a young one who is on the verge of the 1st team whos good enough for cover but happy to sit in the reserves, bartley wouldve been ideal if we had never sold him!

Just beat United 6-0 at the Emirates, as you do...

Walcott's been on fire playing as a lone poacher with Cazorla just in behind and Chamberlain on the right-flank, 6 goals in 6 games including a hat-trick against United.

Without trying to sound blunt, but why do you FM'ers sell Per Mertesacker? Yes, he lacks pace, but his mental attributes are outstanding. Complements the pace and power of either Thomas Vermaelen or Laurent Koscielny very well, in my opinion.

LLama are you using that with wide inside forwards/wingers or a narrow fomation?

cheers

a wide 4-2-3-1

I just cannot understand people selling Mertesacker - if your high line is getting exposed for pace then you aren't pressing properly in midfield. If you play a deep line then Mertesacker has no weakness to expose.

I've just started an Arsenal save myself. So far I've sold Squillaci and Arshavin for a combined £6m, and I'm shifting on Chamakh too. Djourou is up for sale.

Only signing I've made so far is Ba. However I'm strongly considering signing Cabaye and shifting on Diaby. Can get Cabaye for £17m, thoughts on this?

These are my transfers for the first season. This save won't last past the beta though as there are many bugs.

iLfsf.png

The only big deal was Walcott to Chelsea, I probably made a huge mistake but I figure this is a beta why not do something different. I brought in Sidney Sam as his replacement on the cheap and Ademilson as I tried getting rid of Chamakh. Also brought in Kjaer even though he is on pretty high wages.

the cross bug is getting on my nerves, apart from that it wasn't going too bad, or at least i wasn't noticing many other bugs. occasionally the goal keeper goes walk about, or the right back will score an own goal, thank fully these are all things they have said they are aware of over in the bug threads.

the crossing bug is frustrating me and is the main reason that i will not carry this save on after it is released, althought im top by a point, with 2 games to go, and got the final of the fa cup v cardiff so not all to bad

These are my transfers for the first season. This save won't last past the beta though as there are many bugs.

iLfsf.png

The only big deal was Walcott to Chelsea, I probably made a huge mistake but I figure this is a beta why not do something different. I brought in Sidney Sam as his replacement on the cheap and Ademilson as I tried getting rid of Chamakh. Also brought in Kjaer even though he is on pretty high wages.

how good is kjaer? i almost had him for 3 mill on mine then decided against it

Marouane Chamakh and Johan Djourou are rated far too highly.

Chamakh makes an outstanding Target Man or Deep Lying Forward and Djourou is a more than adequate as a 4th choice Centre Back.

I’ll probably sell them both anyway as I hate their guts!

Chamakh is not a bad player, has already had severe attribute reductions - remember he has not played 2 consecutive games in getting on for 2 years, his lack of form is huge, it is not all a talent issue, it is form. Djourou is not overrated, remember he had an excellent season 2010/11 playing the vast majority of the season straight back from injury and looked comfortable in a team that beat Barcelona. His weaknesses are clear and obvious.

surprised some of you are doing fairly well , I'm only a little way in and properly haven't given my team enough time with my current tactics , but the defence is just so lame , crap teams pass it around like barca outside the box and then just walk threw my defence as if there not there.

it will get better once the full game is out, this is an older version beta, so the full game will be a much newer version