FM13: Everton F.C. - Featuring overused toffee puns

swisso

Season Update 2016/17

Season 2016/17 finished and we finally reached the promised land (something i wasn't even able to do with my Tycoon Everton :D)

zcik.th.jpg

we almost managed a season with only 1 loss to city but injuries cost us against West Brom and my kids lost 5-0 on the last day of the season to Brighton.

Capital One Cup

We made it to the Capital One final beating Villa, Stoke, City and Newcastle on the way but unfortunatly my 10 men lost to the kopites 2-1

The FA Cup

We managed to get to the 6th Round beating Swansea, Cheltenham and Sunderland but crashed out 3-0 to stoke which was part of the week of death when i had to play 2 FA cup matches and a Champions League match in 1 week

The Champions League

We finished top of Group E against Zenit, Kobenhavn and Napoli losing only 1 match however lost in the 1st knock out round 4-2 on Agg vs Juventus

Team of the Season

e7f4.th.jpg

Transfer Notes

The new season has seen me less transfer active than usual due to not being able to find any players i though were worth the asking price with only 2 young regens coming in, and my only 2 first team signings being Daniel Martelli at 23 Year Old Argentine Regen CB to replace Heitenga who at 34 still sold for 4mil and Jags who is now a coach for my 1st team, and Ricardo Vera, a 22 Year Old Mexican regen AMR who will replace Salvio who had a on-off season mixed with injuries.

the only other out was Seamus Coleman to Celtic for 3 mil as he was surplus to requirements and shockingly i refused a 15 mil big from Arsenal Manager David Moyes for Shane Duffy (he's too solid and scores a fair few goals for me to let go)

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the 18/19 season just ended and Laurent Blanc has done what I feared! Champs League qualification via the league! Git!

This is obviously great for Everton, but has a) raised the bar for me, and b) made it less likely he will be sacked!

This excellent league finish was made possible by finishing the cup competitions by January and the easy schedule meant a run in the league of 10 games unbeaten to finish the league off.

Begrudgingly, well done LB.

In the transfer market another of my discoveries was sold for 10mil netting a 7.5mil profit in Jan, then at the end of the season another of my big prospects was sold to United for 23mil, a tidy profit of 21.7mil on that one and the second of my discoveries to go for over 20mil.

Matt kennedy went to Arsenal for 7.5mil, think I would have taken that, not sure what Arsenal were thinking there!

I picked up a newgen keeper for my new team for 1.1mil, so was good to be reunited so I can get his development going again.

In my world I got relegated with Augsburg, as I had no second tier loaded in Germany I quit, within a week I was offered a job at Shalke (where I picked up the newgen keeper). Luckily 2 seasons slightly over performing with Augsburg got my rep up enough to land a decent job, looking over the Shalke team I will be competing for Europe this season and my aim is for Champions league, this should get my rep up enough for a return to Everton (bringing some top german talent with me!) in a couple of seasons, assuming LB messes up or gets poached by a bigger team.

Fingers crossed eh?.......

Oh, and Ben McLaughlin!!

I identified this lad from the original squad as a future tutor, but until now havent had a game long enough to actually use him.

Since I was sacked he was loaned out to Championship teams Leeds and Huddersfield, before returning to Everton for a single game.

I then coughed up 1.2mil to bring him to Augsburg at the beginning of last season (as he had turned 23) and make him my first choice DR, following my resignation I took him to Shalke as a tutor costing me another 1.5mil. I'll keep buying him whenever I move as he is a great tutor as well.

He can probably play to a good level in the Championship when hes developed so will be great for tutoring your youth intake, but might not be good enough for players brought in to the club.

I would recommend keeping him if you are playing a long term save, just give him the odd game to keep him happy when when hes 23 keep him as tutor.

After my last save crashed, and I lost all progress, I decided to start again. I went in with a plan of keeping Marouane, Baines and Jelavic, with a plan of building a squad around the first 2 + Barkley, but that plan didn't quite happen as I expected. Unlike my previous save Fellaini just wasn't going to change his mind about wanting to leave. So, I worked on getting as much for him as I could. I offered him out for £40m, hoping that someone would be stupid enough to match his value, they weren't. In the end, I had to sell him to Arsenal for £29m. I then recieved an interesting offer from Dortmund for Jelavic, and after not having much success with him in previous saves, decided to cash in, and sell him off for £10.25m. Elsewhere, Anichebe left, and Hibbert was sold for £1.8m to Southampton. This in the end gave me transfer earnings of just shy of £50m, giving me about £30m to spend. My incoming players were as follows:

Miguel Veloso - £6.5m

Gino Peruzzi - £6.25m

Alessandro Matri - Loan

Zakarai Bakkali - £600k

Siebe Schrijvers - £1.8m

Gylfi Sigurdsson - £9m

Glyfi the big signing of the transfer window. I've seen him leave Spurs for around that price before, so dropped an offer in, and kept my fingers crossed. To my surprise, they accepted very quickly, and Gylfi was on his way. Very happy with that signing, as I've had a lot of success with him in previous saves. Matri looks a promising striker, bagged 2 goals in a 3-1 win over Hull in the 2nd league game of the season, and alongside Velios, Schrijvers and Bakkali should make for a talented, young strike force. Then, Veloso I've had success with before at Everton, playing a DMC role, and Peruzzi everyone knows about as a very talented WBR, should compliment Baines on the left perfectly!

So, after all that, this is my first XI:

----------------------Howard-----------------------

--------------Jagielka--------Heitinga--------------

---Peruzzi-----------Veloso---------------Baines----

--------------Osman---------Gibson------------------

-----------------------Gylfi----------------------------

--------------Velios----------Matri--------------------

My plan is then to give Howard one more season, Jagielka two more seasons, and Gibson one more season. After that, they'll either be replaced with youth players (Barkley for example will become first choice CM), or replaced hopefully with world-class young talent. I like the idea of building an under-30s side, as well as bringing through some of the youth players. I've got Barkley, Garbutt, Lundstram, Kennedy, Hammar, Green, Touray, Jones, McLaughlin and Grant all on good training to try and boost their stats, and then I'll bring through the ones that impress, and improve, and work them into the first team squad. Feeling very positive about Hammar, Green, Kennedy and obviously Barkley!

Edit: Massive deadline day coup. Just snapped up Marco Van Ginkel for a bargain price of £4.5! Real boost to the midfield, and another very talented youngster. Excited to see how he goes!

I am having bad first half of the second season. Fellani got injured early in the season and is out till Feb/March. I am languishing between 5th and 7th but way off top three. Haven't really sold anyone important bar Baines whom I replaced with Taylor from Swansea. In fact, I have strengthen the squad with Giaten and Weiss for wide positions. Don't know why we are struggling. Consistently inconsistent. My strikers are really struggling with goals. :(

As for the UCL, I have finished 2nd in tough group but my lack of luck means we are going to play mighty Barca in last 16!

Ball Winning Midfielder... BEAST

I played him Box-2-Box. He won English Player of the year, English team of the year, and got into World Team of the year.

Fantastic first season in charge for me. Alessandro Matri from Juve turned out to be a revelation. Bagged 26 league goals, more than everyone in the league bar Giroud, and his goals, alongside a fantastic defensive partnership between Distin and Jagielka, as well as some fantastic performances from Gylfi led us to 4th place, and a Carling Cup win. Fellaini ended up having a relatively quiet season at Arsenal, and failed to do anything against us in the 2 games against them, so I'm quite glad I managed to cash in on him. As for my other signings:

Miguel Veloso - Solid season, a few injuries which put him out for a few weeks, but when he played, he performed excellently. One issue that I did notice, was the lack of back-up at DMC. So, as a result, I've picked up Oriel Romeu on loan, and looking at signing Etiene Capoue.

Gino Peruzzi - Only managed 10 league appearances due to 4 injuries which put him out for a couple of weeks, but performed solidly when given the chance. Will play back-up to new signing Cesar Azpilicueta next season.

Siebe Schrijvers - Limited chances in the side, only making 3 appearances, but he's only 17, so will get his chance in the future.

Gylfi Sigurdsson - Magnificent signing. Made 8 goals, 9 assists and an average rating of 7.52. Love Gylfi, will be a fixture in the side for years to come.

Marco Van Ginkel - 21 league appearances, 3 goals, 4 assists, average rating 7.20. Complained about lack of first team football early on, so gave him a chance, and he performed excellently. Well worth the £4.5m

Then, in the summer transfer window so far, I've signed:

Cesar Azpilicueta - Bargain signing from Chelsea, costing just £3.4m. Managed to sell Coleman for £6.25m, so he'll be my primary RWB next season, with Peruzzi playing back-up. Excited to see how he goes, should be a good, experienced right wing back ready for the Champions League.

Oriel Romeu - On loan, will play back-up to Miguel Veloso, but might end up terminating his loan if I manage to sign Ettiene Capoue for £13m.

Alessandro Matri - Got him on loan for a second season, was magnificent last season, so hoping for similar results this season!

Excited for the Champions League!

I know. Amazed he was so cheap. Jose wasn't using him, because he splashed out on Rafael for £26m, and so Azpilicueta didn't get a look in. Got a fantastic group of wing backs now. Baines on the left, and Azpilicueta and Peruzzi on the right. Oviedo's solid cover on the left too, pretty promising. Would like to sign Andre Ayew to replace Baines eventually, but I'm happy with Baines and Azpilicueta for now :D

Unbelievable!!!! Everton have won the Premiership!

Laurent Blanc is practically untouchable now which means I am going to have to wait a long time before I get my desk back! Having said that a second place finish in Germany has certainly helped for when the job does come up.....

Having checked the team of the year only 8 players out of the 18 man squad where actually brought to the team since I left so I feel my hard work on the youth side of things has really helped LB, having said that he is a top quality manager too so he should get some credit!

In the Transfer Market there were notable departures for:

Pozzobon, a newgen, for £14.25 to Arsenal netting a tidy £13.5mil profit, he is now a first team regular for Arsenal!

Xavi, a newgen, for £14.5 to Arsenal netting £12mil profil, also a first team regular.

Esposito, a newgen, for £14.5 to Arsenal netting £13.8mil profit, he is now a first team regular.

There were others, total sales were £92mil some big ones for players I hadnt signed or signings I had made, but the price tag wasnt worth mentioning!

The only other sale of note was Hussain, a newgen, Striker who was an absolute beast of a Targetman who could play up to about mid-table prem I would say. I brought him over to Germany to tutor my players as he is Professional personality and 20 determination.

On the buying side a total of £63mil was spent by LB, notable signings included Rafael £3.3mil, Neal Maupay £9mil, and Paul Pogba a whooping £31mil!

We're both in the Champions League so I am hoping for a bit of luck in the draw and the chance to knock LB down a peg!

• 2 weeks later...

Bit quiet in here so time to break the silence.

2017/18 is almost over, 4 games to go, and we have defended the title \o/. With a 2-1 win over Liverpool \o/, At Anfield \o/\o/\o/\o/

i'll post up season review/preview in a few days once i've done it.

Just started a new save on the latest LFC Marshall update.

Fellaini has gone for £22m (release clause) couldn't do anything, would have liked to get more for him. I now have £18m to improve a weak midfield.

Any suggestions? I missed out on James McCarthy as he chose Fulham and i walked away from deals for Gackar and Defour as they wanted too much in wages.

I'm looking at schneiderlin but he will probably cost alot meaning i wont be able to bring another in.

Scrap that, just had a bid of £10.75m accepted for Schneiderlin but he wanted £60k a week so he's not an option now

So, as I mentioned earlier, Laurent Blanc jumped ship to PSG leave the hotseat available for me!

After 4 years in Germany I came back to good old blighty and right away brought Ross Barkley back on a free! Yes thats right 27 year old Ross Barkley cost me nowt! Cant believe it. Spurs missed a trick there and should have tied him up.

I also brought back my boy Ben McLaughlin as defense tutor and Hussain I bought from Everton a season ago as another Tutor.

I let a bunch of players go including J-Rod who had suffered quite badly in my absence but still got 8 mil for him. Hes 30 now and I will probably bring him back in a few years as a coach.

Just before the season kicked of though a spent a fortune on a guy called Jonathan Lera, a newgen, striker. Cost me £25mil, and only got 3.5 stars! He did however score on his debut so not a bad start.

I've done 2 games and am top o' the league. When the window shuts I think I will post up my first XI here and see what people think, hope theres not too many newgens though, think I am in my 10th season now!

Is it only me who keeps on having takeovers collapse, find it annoying as I want new owners who hopefully have a bit of cash the only positive to them takeovers collapsing is that I hold hope that I might get taken over by a tycoon which has happened to a few on this thread

Morning lads! Excited for the new season!

Couple of questions as ive been away from FM13 for a while, planning on a new start again this weekend.

1. Whats the current new favoured set up for tactics for most people?

2. For SWISSO - with FM14 coming up, any of our youngsters getting a boost do you think? Not sure when the cut off is, but obviously Mr John "who'spirlo" Stones has shown great promise

I think John Stones was already at CA 119, which is quite a high CA for someone who's only played Championship football at such a young age. Don't expect too many changes there :)

Only real changes with the U21s have been with McAleny and Vellios. Had a chance to watch both of them in the U21s last season and both have improved; Vellios has improved his all-round game and obviously McAleny has looked sharp in front of goal.

Hello Toffees!

I've read back a couple of pages but I can't see any starting formations on the latest patch (no unofficial transfer updates). The finances are very tight but that's no problem because I want to use the starting squad as much as possible. I had some trouble with Fellaini wanting to leave but I've convinced him to stay as long as I qualify for the EL in two seasons.

This does leave me with a bit of a selection dilemma though, I think my play is going to be one dimensional and a little lackluster. There's nothing wrong with a steady, well thought out tactical set up but I really am lacking in creative ideas.

For the time being I initially started with an asymmetric 4-2-3-1 but didn't like the balance so I fiddled a little and have come out with a 4-5-1 shape with a DM, AML and a MR - the AML being an Inside forward creating space for Baines on a higher duty. It's fluid, controlling and pressing but blows hot and cold when it comes to dominating games, unsurprisingly really.

It's working well (I'll let you know how well when I've played some more games) but it's not how I see us really challenging for the European slots, how we will evolve and create a tactical identity. How we will introduce the promising youths etc. Any thoughts chaps on how you would set up the starting squad, and separately what you think this squad could play in a few seasons?

Just started a new save on the latest LFC Marshall update.

Fellaini has gone for £22m (release clause) couldn't do anything, would have liked to get more for him. I now have £18m to improve a weak midfield.

Any suggestions? I missed out on James McCarthy as he chose Fulham and i walked away from deals for Gackar and Defour as they wanted too much in wages.

I'm looking at schneiderlin but he will probably cost alot meaning i wont be able to bring another in.

Scrap that, just had a bid of £10.75m accepted for Schneiderlin but he wanted £60k a week so he's not an option now

There's a couple of good young midfielders at Sampdoria, Andrea Poli & Pedro Obieng. I managed to sign both of them for Swansea and their wage demands were pretty reasonable. Radja Nainggolan always worth a look as well if he hasn't been snapped up by the likes of PSG.

Not sure which season you're in though, if it's first season those lads might not be available or willing to move, if you can get one or more of them pair them up with Gibson in central midfield and you should be fine.

Rather missing my own Everton save at moment. Had a great little team coming together. Not been able to continue with since I posted back in June. Work commitments and problems with the PC mean I've not been able to have a good long FM session in a while.

Having to content myself with the odd hour here and there on my new laptop during the commute/lunchbreaks and making slow progress on a Swansea save.

Hello Toffees!

I've read back a couple of pages but I can't see any starting formations on the latest patch (no unofficial transfer updates). The finances are very tight but that's no problem because I want to use the starting squad as much as possible. I had some trouble with Fellaini wanting to leave but I've convinced him to stay as long as I qualify for the EL in two seasons.

This does leave me with a bit of a selection dilemma though, I think my play is going to be one dimensional and a little lackluster. There's nothing wrong with a steady, well thought out tactical set up but I really am lacking in creative ideas.

For the time being I initially started with an asymmetric 4-2-3-1 but didn't like the balance so I fiddled a little and have come out with a 4-5-1 shape with a DM, AML and a MR - the AML being an Inside forward creating space for Baines on a higher duty. It's fluid, controlling and pressing but blows hot and cold when it comes to dominating games, unsurprisingly really.

It's working well (I'll let you know how well when I've played some more games) but it's not how I see us really challenging for the European slots, how we will evolve and create a tactical identity. How we will introduce the promising youths etc. Any thoughts chaps on how you would set up the starting squad, and separately what you think this squad could play in a few seasons?

I think it's how you want to use Baines and Coleman :)

If you want to fire crosses into the box and use them as Fullbacks, then you'll need players with Jumping, Movement and Anticipation in the box to await the crosses. Using Fellaini as an AMC might be useful here, especially as an AMC pressuring high up the pitch (perhaps set tackling to hard, pressing all the way up?) Using Osman/Pienaar as an AMC and sending in lots of crosses isn't advisable really, at least from a logical viewpoint :D

Then there's another way...

Using Baines and Coleman as wingbacks on attack duty (but playing from the DR/DL position) with mixed/no crossing and getting them to drive inside to the opposition area (train them with PPM's cuts inside, runs with ball often, get's forward etc) I used this with Alba and Alves at Barcelona and it was great to watch at times when they picked up the ball and ran inside.

Using the width from those guys means you can afford to keep Fellaini back as DMC to contest any clearances that the opposition makes or any counter-attacks. Personally i'm fedup of using crossing now and i'll look to keep the ball as much as possible, crossing can be so wasteful! Even Baines' real life stats only shows a 25% to 33% cross success rate and then there's the success of the actual cross being converted into a goal. Slim chances of a goal from crossing.

At the moment I've tried to create a dynamic attack with lots of movement. Playing Mirallas as a right winger (from RM), either Osman or Gibson as a CM(A) alongside him and next to that Fellaini as a supporting ball winner, Pienaar/ Naismith are contested the attacking left position with Baines overlapping and Jelavic drops deep from ST to create space. I don't really have many prospects to worry about though and Barkley is finding lots of game time rotating AML and MR. I do want to be able to fit him in better though. I may look to switch to a proper 4-5-1 (4-1-2-2-1) as it may just be the lop sided formation putting me off. Jelavic is very much a 'false nine' but is popping up with a goal every two games but again I don't see him as a long term option or have that much faith in him, I'd like to switch from the DLF(s) to more of a Trequartista but that would probably mean few transfers coming in, not to mention more reliance on the midfielders to score. They do get in the box as it is though so with a bit more flair and creativity up top (which seems to be really lacking in this team?) they should flourish.

swisso, is Chris Long getting an upgrade at all mate?

Granted I haven't seen him play, so you'll know best, but following our results he seems to be a pretty decent player, no?

And while on the subject of everton youth, any ideas whats happened to George Green? Didn't go on the U21 preseason tour, and seems to have dropped off the face of the planet......

Nearly all the youth players have had a rise in CA, it's part of their natural progress, Long probably more so :)

As for Green, he played against Derby U18s at Finch Farm the other week in the 1-1 draw and played quite a free role, often as an AMC, but then as a DMC playmaker when we struggled to get the ball moving.

Don't know what the plans are for him, I'm not too convinced by his attitude, but his talent is evident. I don't believe he warrants the hype when he joined though, he's definitely not the next "big thing".

Naismith for me is keeping Jelavic out of the team as a lone deep lying forward, linking play tremendously and also being a regular on the score sheet! I may let Jelavic go in January, what is a reasonable fee to expect for him? I'm going to have a look around for a replacement more in the Trequartista/ Supporting deep forward mold, I have a suspicion that Barkley may be able to do this role?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone playing as everton with the summer transfer update? Seems like this seasons version should have a fun everton save, with young talents Barkley, stones and deulofeu. Not sure what formation will be the best tho. Just trying to work out a good strategy

Started up a game a week or 2 back.

Sold Fellani for 28.5 mill and a few other players.

Bought Capoue, Chadli, Matias Suarez, Fletcher on loan, Giacherrini on loan. Currently top 4 points clear of united at the end of December. Hopefully I can keep it up in the 2nd half.

im playing with the summer transfer update file but it doesnt include last weeks deadline day

feillani's 22m clause was matched and i had to sell him , retained baines, signed javi garcia on loan from city and leon britton from swansea. first match of the season i was away to liverpool, gerrard missed a penalty after 5 minutes. barkely scored a 30 yard screamer only for aspas to equalise but soon after delefou bundled in from close range. followed this up with a 1-0 against west ham at goodison and played the reserves in the league cup against wolves who we beat on penalties. really loving the game at the moment, i only bought it last week and it my first fm since 2007. loving the detail.

i need a goalscorer, playing jelavic as deep lying forward and i got petric on a free but need a guy who can score. berbatov is looking amazing so far but he's 31 and i already had 13m knocked back for him, i refuse to budge though

• 2 weeks later...
Swisso my man, I assume the data is all locked in now for FM14.....do you know if our "loan" deals for Barry and Lukaku make it in?

Everything up until today is still making it in :)

Including Hallam Hopes new contract the other day. If Baines signs a new deal in the next few weeks, it'll likely be too late.

I believe there may be another week yet before the data is locked.

So my first season with everton went well. i had a really unfit squad at the start of the season so i decided to sacrifice the league cup and went out in the fourth round. Different story in the fa cup however, had a relatively easy run in but smashed chelsea 2 - 0 in the final. The league was also a success as we finished 4th and secured champions league football.

Playing this save with all transfers up to date using pros update, so fellaini had already gone.

So my predicament, i'm sure i could get around £25 - £30 million for baines if i offered him out, and as i only have a £5 million budget it would come in very handy, however he is my best player. what do you guys think, keep or sell.

Everything up until today is still making it in :)

Including Hallam Hopes new contract the other day. If Baines signs a new deal in the next few weeks, it'll likely be too late.

I believe there may be another week yet before the data is locked.

Nice one. Barry/Lukaku/Delefeo (cannot spell his name just like our club shop) loans going to be shown?

Putting my pre-order in for FM14 today.....not long to go.......

So my first season with everton went well. i had a really unfit squad at the start of the season so i decided to sacrifice the league cup and went out in the fourth round. Different story in the fa cup however, had a relatively easy run in but smashed chelsea 2 - 0 in the final. The league was also a success as we finished 4th and secured champions league football.

Playing this save with all transfers up to date using pros update, so fellaini had already gone.

So my predicament, i'm sure i could get around £25 - £30 million for baines if i offered him out, and as i only have a £5 million budget it would come in very handy, however he is my best player. what do you guys think, keep or sell.

Baines is quality but he is just a left back. It's not like he's knocking in 30 goals a season for you.

If you can get 25-30 mill for him you could bring in 3-4 players and improve the squad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finished my 1st season with Everton and finished 4th and thought the Champions League might help with some extra cash. I got 4 million to spend so I sold Fellaini to Man City for £36 million thinking I would then have about £20 million to spend. Once I sold him I checked my budget and I now have £9 million to spend!!! The only signing I've made so far is Craig Gardner in January for £2.5 million who isn't really the same quality and I bought him for back up/rotation rather than a replacement and even then I had to sell Hibbert to afford him.

Archived