FM13: Everton F.C. - Featuring overused toffee puns

swisso

I got a bit more when I finished 2nd in the first season, but not a huge amount. I had moved some to trim the wage bill and hadn't asked the board for any costly upgrades, but the first season still takes a toll on the finances. Once the TV money and Champs league money gets set in the summer, you should see that number go up some, mine did. Luckily, you should also be able to free up a decent amount of transfer and wages with outgoing transfers in the summer. And of course, if you can stay in the Champs league for the 3rd year, then I got a quite decent transfer budget the following summer.

I guess the loan debts etc make it understandable, I just thought I'd get more than the pathetic wage I've been given considering my achievement of 3rd and guaranteed CL football because of that.

I mean, the way I see it is Silvain Distin is being released, Mucha is being released, Phil Neville should be released (I've offered him a new contract one a one-year basis simply because I feel like I NEED to or my squad will be tiny), Leon Osman is over 30, Jagielka is getting on a bit, Heitinga isn't exactly young, Hibbert is old, too.

BASICALLY, the Everton team is quite old and needs a lot of improvements and I thought that, despite the debts, they would try and give me more money. I mean...what if I had finished 5th, say? I would've got even less than £2.6M and I'd have been in no position to challenge top 4.

Anyhow, not played my save since that post due to work etc. - bringing in David Ospina as an initial backup to Howard then eventualy successor at the end of 2013/2014 season (when Howard's contract will expire). Ospina is on a free. Also Miralem Sulejmani is coming in from Ajax on a free to offer more options because of his versaility and ability to play across the entire front attacking positions (AMR, AMC, AML). I'll probably start him at AMC but Naismith was so good for me that I might have to keep Sulejmani as a back-up.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cheers for the advice mate.

Probably could have gotten M'Vila for the price you mentioned (about £32m) but didn't want to spend nearly all the Fellaini money on one player (especially since, as good as M'Vila is, he'd still be a downgrade from Felli). PSG had already signed Nainngolan unfortunately, and Wanyama had gone somewhere too. Is Vadis Odjidja really good enough to fill that void?

In the end, I couldn't get anyone I was particularly keen on for anything approaching a reasonable fee, so ended up signing Javad Nekounam (sp? Iranian DM) for £1.5m. 32 years old, so not exactly a long term option, but he's got great stats, and should do a solid job for this season, until I can the right deal for a long term replacement.

I sold Fellaini as well at the start of my second season, brought in John Obi Mikel on loan as a replacement, but he didnt really fill the gap and I excellent regretted accepting the £30m for Felli, then I brought in Thiago Motta in the Jan window to play along with Mikel and again I was still missing a spark and it wasnt until the last 5 games that I stumbled upon the perfect fill-in player by mistake really. John Heitinga, I threw him in as a direct replacement ball winning midfielder and he has been superb for me so if you need a cheap alternative use him and strengthen elsewhere. It helps Duffy has formed an excellent partnership with Jagielka in defence. In the meantime I have Leroy Fer from FC Twente developing into the Fellaini roll.

Well, I think I have managed to pull off the coup of the century at Everton - 8 July 2015 after selling a 29 year old Jelavic I managed to sign Neymar for 44.5m pounds! It did hit the bank pretty hard and he is costing me an arm and a leg (~7m per season) but I am hoping he can lead the club to glory.

After being relegated at the end of the second season (2013/2014) David Moyes was sacked & I took over as Everton manager. Just finished my third season in charge and so far things have gone pretty well;

2014/2015

Capital One Cup – lost 1-0 in 4th round to Arsenal (H)

FA Cup – lost 1-0 in 4th round to QPR (A)

npower Championship:

2014-2015_zps6e4f8609.png

2015/2016

Capital One Cup – lost 2-1 in 2nd round to Tranmere (H)

FA Cup – lost 1-0 in 5th round to Leeds (A)

Barclays Premier League:

2015-2016_zps9df7bdef.png

2016/2017

Capital One Cup – WINNERS (beat Aston Villa 3-0)

FA Cup – WINNERS (beat Wolves 2-1AET)

Champions League – finished 3rd in group (Valencia 13, Dortmund 11, Everton 10, Anji 0)

Europa League – RUNNERS UP (lost 1-0 to Lyon)

Barclays Premier League:

2016-2017_zps4f3247e4.png

Overall record;

P159, W105, D29, L25, F311, A125, GD+186

and tidbits of information on what you've changed?

I wouldn't want to spoil any surprises before it's been released :D

But the obvious club changes will be there:

- Southport linkup, we're paying them a small fee, £20,000, to allow the U21 matches to be played at Haig Avenue. There will be a chance of a friendly match each season, set with a 60% chance.

- Bury linkup, similar to the Preston one setup, again a 60% chance of a friendly match being played since we have played them every other season since 2006.

- Pittsburgh affiliation in the USA has been removed, since it was never really an affiliation, we just flogged them some training methadologies.

- Adjusted some of the loans slightly based on the club accounts that were released

- Added a £200k sponsorship for Dafabet

- Increased Season Tickets to 23,000

- Adjusted some of the Tactical Preferences (these won't matter if you take control of Everton)

- Increased average attendances to 36,000

I've reviewed a lot of the backroom staff; the scouts, coaches and physios and you'll see changes in most of them. Some staff have also left or been removed from the staff list (if their roles don't fit properly within FM terms)

Under 16 Players file

Created a file with some of the U16 players from Everton, just a handful of the lads who've played for the U18s that i've seen this season.

- Ryan Ledson, played for and captained England U16s, midfielder

- Jon Joe Kenny, fullback

- Joe Williams, midfielder

- Arlen Birch, played for Wales U16s but switched to England U16s, centrehalf

- James Graham, played for Wales U16s, centrehalf

Just to add, because these players are 15 year old, and Ledson starts off at 14 (he doesn't turn 15 until August) their CA and PA stars may be overstated in the Coach reports. So don't worry, i haven't overated them :D

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mzahms > download and stick it in My Documents > Sports Interactive > FM13 > Editor Data and make sure you've ticked the file when starting a new FM game :thup:

I wouldn't want to spoil any surprises before it's been released :D

But the obvious club changes will be there:

- Southport linkup, we're paying them a small fee, £20,000, to allow the U21 matches to be played at Haig Avenue. There will be a chance of a friendly match each season, set with a 60% chance.

- Bury linkup, similar to the Preston one setup, again a 60% chance of a friendly match being played since we have played them every other season since 2006.

- Pittsburgh affiliation in the USA has been removed, since it was never really an affiliation, we just flogged them some training methadologies.

- Adjusted some of the loans slightly based on the club accounts that were released

- Added a £200k sponsorship for Dafabet

- Increased Season Tickets to 23,000

- Adjusted some of the Tactical Preferences (these won't matter if you take control of Everton)

- Increased average attendances to 36,000

I've reviewed a lot of the backroom staff; the scouts, coaches and physios and you'll see changes in most of them. Some staff have also left or been removed from the staff list (if their roles don't fit properly within FM terms)

Not expecting specifics, but has much changed on the playing side of things?

A few of the players who've had the better season like Jagielka, Osman, Baines and Gibson should be reflected in their updated profiles and a few like Heitinga and dare i say, Howard, should be reflective of their season thus far. Politicians answer :D

There's nothing drastic in there, i don't think anyones really excelled beyond expectations and i don't think anyones failed in their expectations either. I'd say Baines is having his best ever season, so is Jagielka (certaintly more consistent) and Fellaini.

I've adjusted a few of the U21s and U18s, but nothing major. Haven't been impressed with a lot of the U21s anyway, especially the likes of Junior (he's nowhere near the first team) and the U18s have fielded a lot of U16s who aren't old enough to feature in FM13.

Wow! Most of you have great results... And I thought that getting fifth in the first season is good :( My team for the second season is:

GK: Howard/Ospina

DR: Clyne/Hibbert

DC: Bochetti/Jagielka

DC: Heitinga/Duffy

DL: Baines/Oviedo

MC: Fellaini/Neville

MC: Will Hughes/Rodney Strasser

AML: Stoch/Gueye

AMC: Barkley/Osman

AMR: Vladimir Weiss/Mirallas

ST: Jelavic/Destro

Got some very good fees for Pienaar and Naismith.

DC: Bochetti/Jagielka

Have you played Bochetti yet, or did you just get him? Must be pretty good to keep Jags out. He has been amazing for me so far through 3 seasons. I've also found the Duffy plays far better than his stats suggest. Sent him out on loan to Bolton 2nd season in Prem and he averaged 7.47 and more or less single-handedly kept them up.

Well, I think I have managed to pull off the coup of the century at Everton - 8 July 2015 after selling a 29 year old Jelavic I managed to sign Neymar for 44.5m pounds! It did hit the bank pretty hard and he is costing me an arm and a leg (~7m per season) but I am hoping he can lead the club to glory.

How has this been working out for you so far, Nick? I'm really considering trying to bring him in if he'll come. He's transfer listed in Jan of the 3rd season on mine for $71m. I think a top-quality striker is the last piece of the puzzle for me. Have you been playing him on his own up front, or with someone?

Struggling with Everton at the moment, especially tactically. Tried 4-2-4, 4-2-3-1 and 4-1-2-2-1 and having little to no luck with results, apart from grinding out some draws where I should be winning. Anyone hit upon a good tactic that works well?

I was a fan of the diamond midfield in FM11, but I found I was getting over-run in midfield using it on FM13.

Frustrating.

How do people get Jelavic scoring? Im playing him as a poacher' date=' hes got 2 in 9![/quote']

19 in 32 as a DLF Attack in a 4-1-2-2-1 formation. I was struggling to get him scoring as well before the role change.

Luke Garbutt. Does anyone keep him? I sold him to Middlesbrough for 170k in 2016 who sold him one year later to Fulham for 2.3m and he has earned an England cap while there. I feel England arescraping the bottom of the barrel calling him up.

Luke Garbutt. Does anyone keep him? I sold him to Middlesbrough for 170k in 2016 who sold him one year later to Fulham for 2.3m and he has earned an England cap while there. I feel England arescraping the bottom of the barrel calling him up.

I sent him out on a couple of full season League 2 loans at the beginning, and he did decently. Ended up letting him go on a free because my coaches didn't rate him and I had Luke Shaw ahead of him who was doing really well deputized Baines. AFC Wimbledon, in League 2, picked him up and he has been doing well for them. Averaging just over 7 and about 10 assists. Based on his stat growth though, I don't see him ever really being a player to compete in the Prem.

Yeah but i dont want to play a 4-4-2 because top teams will just rip you apart. I like my formation but dont know where best to play fellaini :s

:confused: I'm second in the league after 25 games in my first season ... not sure why you think 442 can't work tbh.

Try something asymetrical then :)

It's not unbalanced and you can accomodate all the positions with ease.

I like to use Baines as DL with Pienaar at ML and have Pienaar set to Cut Inside and Hold Up Ball and i've set Baines up as a Wingback with Run With Ball often, Run From Deep often and Cut Inside too. Works a treat :)

If i use an AML with Baines, i find i can never really get the best out of him. I used Mirallas as the AMR and had him cutting inside too, so he was often becoming the 2nd Striker with Jelavic.

Pienaar played 10 games then got a broken leg! But barkley has more than taken his chance, been playing great upto 5th now. Signed Mario Bolatti on loan as my anchor man and hes been a great signing if i have enough money ill make his move permanent but getting £6million with everton to buy him doesnt leave me with much confidence!

Barkley has been keeping Pienaar out on my save too. Especially with Nem on the right and Gueye on the left, there's no place in the starting line up for Pienaar. I'm in the 3rd season and have kept him around as a decent tutor and backup, but will probably let him leave this summer when his contract expires. Offered an extension on lower wages, but he just wasn't having it and hasn't stated his intention to retire yet.

Barkely as an IF, support in the AMC position has been great, though. Terrorizes defenses and always seems to pick out the right position to receive the ball and make runs.

Just finished my first season with Everton. Came second in the league behind an unstoppable Tottenham, lost out to Man United in the final of the FA Cup and got beat by eventual winners Arsenal in the semis of the Capitol one cup.

I managed to keep all the stars at the club, which consequentially meant no big signings. I did pick up Hiljemark for about £800k and get Hubschman in on loan, but the first was a prospect and the second a backup. In January I brought in Litmanen for free, for the one and only purpose of tutoring George Green.

Despite the theme of near-misses, the season probably couldn't have gone a lot better - Fellaini missed the first half of it through injury and we were without Howard for a while also. Miralles missing the last 2 months of the season was perhaps a bigger blow, as it meant him missing the FA Cup final, in which we played an even game for 91 minutes and 20 seconds before conceding the only goal of the game.

Unsurprisingly, Fellaini and Baines had the highest average ratings out of the senior players, with 7.67 and 7.45 respectively. Following was an incendiary Jelavic, who got 26 goals in 35 starts and 6 subs and earned a 7.43, from the DLF(s) role. In his 14 appearances, Duffy got an average rating of 7.52, with Vellios getting 12 goals in his 19 appearances.

The fans are happy with performance in general and my job status is "Untouchable" atm, but my god those fans seem viscous. Do Everton just hate everyone?? Every lost match the fans are devastated, be it against West Brom, Arsenal or Man United. I'm pretty worried that in over-achieving the this season, I've made my job next season impossible. I know I'll be jealously watching all the other league sides strengthen over the summer, full in the knowledge that with the added pressure of the Champions League fixtures, the side will be under more strain than ever.

Man Utd and Spurs have been sniffing around Baines all season, and I wouldn't be surprised if other players attract interest. I don't know whether I'd be best off to hold onto the big players for dear life and rely on the squad we have for next season, or whether to sell off a star for the chance to restructure. Anyone else had this dilemna?

Edit: Also, has anyone managed to get that leech Junior to leave? The only way anyone will come in for him is if I offer him out for nothing, and after that he comes back saying he wants us to pay over half his wages for the rest of his contract to move. Since I get no fee out of it, I'd basically just be giving him £1.2m to go and play somewhere else. Grrrr

Vrig, I also couldn't shift Junior. I ended up just loaning him out until his contract expired and he never played a game.

Regarding squad depth, you should get a little bit of spending money in the summer to help stregthen. If not, you can probably sell a couple of fringe players to raise a little bit of money. If funds are still tight (and presuming they aren't now hugely expensive), I would move for Strandberg and Wellington Nem. They are both relatively inexpensive, very versatile, and don't have to start games right away.

Strandberg gives you some cover across your backline and as a DMC/anchorman to add solidity. Even though it isn't listed, he did a decent job for me at FB when necessary.

Nem gives you cover all across your attacking band and can slot into any one of the 3 amc or striker positions with relative ease.

I would hold onto your big players as long as possible because they will do nothing but carry you forward. I have finished 2nd, 3rd, and 2nd in Prem and made it to finals of Champs League without having to sell the all big names (Heitinga aside) or splash a lot of cash.

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, Nem was already picked up by Corinthians and Strandberg isn't appearing (Norway not loaded - though would have thought h'd still be there).

Fortunately - and I was stunned to see it - Everton gave me a little money! I picked up Destro for free, Denilson on loan and Fer for £5.5m, which seems a massive bargain, so long as he stays fit. Did bring in some Greek keeper who undercuts Mucha and a regen off Bayern - the first free, the second for £1m - but I'm hoping I wont be forced to play either of them.

To further cope with the depth problem I'm working on a 4-4-2 so I can switch between that and the 4-3-3 I used religiously last season. I just beat Real Madrid 3-2 with it in pre-season, so it's looking good! I'm loving the Fer/Fellaini partnership in midfield. Fer is on DLP(d) and Fellaini is a ball-winner(s). Fellaini gets all over the place and Fer is always free for the ball in tons of space. At times its like watching Scholes/Keane or Pirlo/Gattuso. I'm hoping it lasts.

Baine, Coleman and (intermittently) Jelavic are attracting interest from big teams, but I think I'll take you up on that advice. It's good to know it can be done, although now I'll feel worse if I eff it up haha

Had a laugh-or-cry moment when the entire backroom staff left because I'd failed to notice their contracts expire. I'm probably spending less on a better staff now anyway - so who needs them?:p

Edit: Also, wondering how Heintinga does for everyone at CB? Coaches tell me he's 4-star quality, but his not-so-great physical attributes were making me think I'd need to bring in a stop-gap between Distin and Duffy. I was thinking he could do better in a stopper/cover partnership, but I've never set one of those up before. Looks like I'll have to trade a result or two for the experiment.

I've used Fellaini as a CM(a) and he always plays well, getting goals now and then. When I did that I'd just use Heitinga as DM and Neville/Gibson as CM(s). Hiljemark was another option for CM(s), but he was average at best. Neville and Heitinga both do well in midfield for me though.

Never used Fellaini as an AM, although that article really makes me want to try.

anyone had a take over at Everton, but i feel this will be the only way to take them forward?

I've had them come in twice saying that an approach had been made and that they were putting a transfer embargo in place, but neither have materialized. They have both been led by local businessmen and both claimed that they are going to pump a good deal of money into the club. I've finished 2nd, 3rd, and 2nd the past three seasons, one the League Cup, FA Cup, and reached the final of the Champions League. My finances are in very good shape with the new TV money, etc.

Being an Everton fan, I really should have started a game as them earlier, but, it doesn't matter, I've started one now!

The first challenge, was, of course keeping Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines. I was expecting Baines to be the more difficult to keep hold of, as in every other save I've had, he's left Everton almost immediately, normally to either United or City. However, on this occasion, I was very fortunate, and received no bids. As for Fellaini, I had bids from Chelsea and Tottenham, as well as interest from PSG, and a number of other European sides, but once I set his asking price to £40m (much to Marouane's dismay), those bids soon disappeared. I did have to have crisis talks with Fellaini, but after assuring him we'll have European football by the end of next season (surely that's doable?), everything was back to being rosy.

There was some departures however. Victor Anichebe left to join Wolves for £3.8m, Apostilos Velios went to Huddersfield for £1.3m, Jake Bidwell left for Crewe for £120k, an unhappy Junior left on Free to join Wrexham and Luke Garbutt went on loan to Carlisle. There were offers made for Johnny Heitinga, but, after weighing up my options, I decided given the money I'd be receiving I'd be unlikely to get a similarly talented CB for decent money, so have stuck with the Dutchman for now.

Nothing too extravagant when it comes to Arrivals either. I signed my go-to man on every save Ruben Yttegard Jenssen for £1.8m. The centre of midfield is always an area I try to strengthen on FM when I'm Everton, and Ruben is the perfect player to boost the squad. He has an excellent range of passing, is technically very sound, with good first touch and technique attributes, has very good mental stats, is fit, has stamina and excellent work rate, perfect for Everton. That was all as far as spending money went, but I did secure Wilfried Zaha on loan from Manchester United (made a few transfers on the editor, forgot to loan him back to Palace, so thought I'd take him), just as a back-up striker/winger, and a bit of explosion and pace to bring off the bench if need-be.

Here's how I'll be lining up:

-----------------------------------Howard----------------------------------

----Neville-------------Jags---------------Heitinga-----------Baines---------

-----------------------Jenssen-------------Fellaini----------------------------

--Mirallas------------------------Osman----------------------Pienaar----------

----------------------------------Jelavic-----------------------------------------

Played 2 matches thus far, and the formation seems to be working okay. Got a 1-0 win over QPR to kick off the Premier League, and a 2-0 League Cup victory over Leeds. Been a little shaky defensively, definitely going to have to work on the defending in training, but we've looked decent. Mirallas has been the star in both games, dominating on the right hand side. Baines and Jagielka have put in excellent performances, and Fellaini's chipped in with a decent start too. Hopefully we'll be able to kick on, continue the good run, and push for a Top 4 spot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Made a few shrewd purchases on Deadline day. Had a little bit of cash left, so thought I'd go for a few bargains to boost the squad a little. I added a back-up defender, bringing in Jonas Ivens for £170k, which, given a week later Heitinga came back from International duty with an injury, made it a pretty handy signing. I also spent £80k on Damien Boudjemaa. He's not going to be lighting the Premier League up with an average rating of 8.5 any time soon, but he's got the stats to become a very useful squad player. I've used him as a sub twice, and he's done well, could work well as an impact sub.

Results so far:

Everton 1 - 0 QPR

Leeds 0 - 2 Everton

Everton 0 - 0 Man City

West Brom 0 - 2 Everton

7 points in 3 league games, no goals conceded in 4 games. Defending very well. We're not making the most of our chances up top, but getting in the right positions, Jelavic and Fellaini just need to find some confidence and we'll be rocking!

Has anyone done anything with Ben MacLaughlin? (at least I think that's his name, I'm away from the computer right now!)

He's a 17 year old DR. I hadn't noticed him until this morning and usually release him, but today I noticed he has a professional personality and 18 determination so surely would make a good tutor in a few years.

hes currently on loan at championship Watford in my game so not a bad level for an 18 year old. he's got 2.5 stars potential so should be good for mid-table prem when he's fully developed I think.

I'm planning on keeping him as a squad player to tutor kids in future, what does everyone else think?

I'd consider keeping him in your game, as he's got a 2.5* potential, but he's pretty awful on mine. 1.5* potential, no particularly impressive statistics other than Determination. I don't think I'll be finding any use for him.

On a ridiculous run of form so far this season. Sitting at the top of the league, unbeaten in 6 with 5 wins and 1 draw. My run of league results are as follows:

Everton 1 - 0 QPR

Everton 0 - 0 Man City

West Brom 0 - 2 Everton

Everton 5 - 1 Tottenham

Chelsea 2 - 3 Everton

Everton 2 - 0 West Ham

Wins over Tottenham and Chelsea, and held City to a 0-0 draw, in a game in which I could easily have won. Amazed at how well this is going.

The only thing that's not quite going to plan is the lack of left winger. Pienaar's done his cruciates on International Duty and is out for 9 months, Guaye's torn his hamstring and is out for 2 months, and Oviedo's just torn his calf leaving him out for 4 months. Looks like Leon Osman and maybe Wilfried Zaha will be filling in for a while! I've just places a bid for Fede Vico ready for January, so hopefully that'll go through okay, and I'll get a boost in January. Could be a struggle until then though!

I've just places a bid for Fede Vico ready for January, so hopefully that'll go through okay, and I'll get a boost in January.

This kid will be massive for you. I run the same formation as you with him on the left as an AML/IF attack and he destroys people. Third season and he is at 3.5 stars with 5 star potential. Seems to always pop up at the far post for crosses from RB Coleman and then volley them home. Has been capped at the Spanish U21 level, but brought up to the full team yet.

Finally splashed a bit in my fourth season and brought in Iker Muniain who was listed by request. Playing him at AMC and he and Vede are tearing things up in the beginning of my fourth season. 5 games played and 7 goals and 7 assists between them.

Made it to January in my first season, and it's been an interesting little season so far. Managed to put together some excellent wins, with wins over Chelsea, Tottenham, City away, and Newcastle away, but those have been mixed in with some recent disappointing losses. We lost 3 on the bounce to Reading, Southampton and QPR, and also suffered losses to Stoke, Arsenal and Manchester United. We're not sitting too badly in the league though, here's how it currently stands:

ef183169-f9a4-434a-b842-5910c67fdf93_zps5bca1649.jpg

Pretty interesting. Stoke somehow leading the table by a point, but with Chelsea only 3 points behind and with 2 games in hand, they're in the driving seat. After about 14 games I only needed to win my 2 games in hand to go top, but 3 losses on the bounce really hurt my chances. Just hope we can put together some good results at the back end of the season and get a European spot. I'd love to come in the Top 4, but think that's unlikely at the minute.

I've also come to a decision that could either make or break my time at Everton, I've decided I'm going to sell up on the players that are costing me a fortune, try and massively lower the wage budget, and keep Everton in the black. Fellaini has been the first to depart, heading to Manchester United for £35m, and I've just agreed an £11m fee for John Heitinga to join Fenerbahce. The money for Fellaini has meant I can now afford to sign Fede Vico, and have tabled a £2.5m bid for him. Wilfried Zaha, who was on £40k a week on loan has been sent back to United after not performing as well as I was hoping, and Coleman and Hibbert have moved on following the deals agreed earlier in the season.

I've managed to take advantage of a couple of stupid mistakes I made on the editor when completing the January transfers. Instead of moving Christopher Samba and Loic Remy to QPR in the UK, I moved them to QPR(G), a team with the same name, but based in Grenada. So, seeing as how no-one had made a move for them, and they were on Amateur contracts in Granada, I thought I might as well snap them up. Not the most realistic transfers, but they're on low wages, and they're good players, so I'm happy to bend the rules just a little. :D

Cool! I'll try in my second season to play a 4-4-1-1 with fellaini as inside forward and a either TM or AF on the top with direct and blanced style. Not sure whetere to use control or attack.

Yeah, that's an interesting idea. I liked it when bakes mentioned a number of posts back and would have tried it if I wasn't so far into my save and already set on my system. If I was starting from the beginning though, I would definitely try it. I would probably used more of a control style to allow him the time to hold it up and let the others move off of him.

Finished the first season, was reasonably successful. Managed to win the FA Cup which was nice, got a nice run in that competition. My run was Wrexham, Scunthorpe, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Arsenal and then Notts Forest, so fairly easily really. Placed 7th in the league too, but it was a tough campaign. Stoke were the big surprise of the season, they were still leading after 30 games, and ended up coming 3rd, and that was only because their goal difference was worse than 2nd place Chelsea.

Made major changes in the Summer. Out went Phil Neville, Tim Howard, Leon Osman, Stephan Pienaar, Loic Remy and Jan Mucha, and along with the £54m boost with the TV revenue it gave me a really nice transfer budget. As for my signings, I brought in:

Will Hughes - £4.8m

Alberto Paloschi - Free

Mattia Destro - Free

Barry Llewellyn (regen) - Free

Sebastien Kehl - Free

Jack Butland - £3.5m

Constant Bakayoko (regen) - £4.5m

Granit Xhaka - £17m

Nathaniel Clyne - £8m

Oscar Ustari - Free

Bernard - £24m

David Beckham - £300k

James Rodriguez - Free

Lots of signings, a few young guys that I can develop, and a few guys like Xhaka, Clyne and Bernard who will slot into the first team. Then, we've got Hughes, Butland, Clyne, and the regens who can be developed, and most of them are British. My First XI is now:

----------------------------------Butland------------------------------------------

---Clyne----------------Samba------------Jagielka----------------Baines---------

-------------------Yttegard Jenssen-------Xhaka-----------------------------------

--Mirallas-----------------------Bernard--------------------------Vico--------------

----------------------------------Jelavic--------------------------------------------

Looking pretty strong, with a long list of useful back-up players. Hopefully the likes of Mirallas and Jelavic will have more of an impact in the second season, and the new signings will boost the consistency, as the second half of the first season was pretty disappointing.

Archived