FM:13 From topdogs to underdogs, Rangers Football Club

lovenkrands01

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just into September after the first transfer window and I'm really enjoying FM this year as Rangers. Won every game so far quite comfortably apart from St.Mirren who i was lucky to beat on penalties in the league cup, drawn against Savco at the Big Jock Nou camp in the next round too. Signed a **** load of players, i'm a fan of rotation haha but I'm praying i wont be losing money every month with my wage bill at 107k p/w just now.

tacticss.th.png

transfersi.th.png

37,000 ST holders and a first league game home attendace of 37,212. Not very realisitic. I kept the same team (no transfer budgets at start) and won the first five without conceding. Enjoying the game apart from the attendance and young MacLeod who is useless in my game (yet ever present IRL).

A quick question for those finished one season or more- what formation are you using and what success have you had? I have used 4-4-2, 4-1-3-2 and 4-4-1-1 in the beta and although was pretty tight defensively and won most games, wasnt scoring a lot of goals- averaging just over 2 per game and so I felt that I wasnt using the formation to get the most out of the squad

@FrazT I've finished a season using 4-3-3 ( 2CM's, DM, 2 Wingers & 1 through the middle) and broke the record for most goals scored, think the record was Ross County with 88 and I scored 108 and only conceded 12 goals all season.

Tempelton & Shiels out wide with Little through the middle. Little was a goal machine scored 30 goals whilst Temps scored 12 with 19 assists and Shiels scored 12 with 15 assists.

Just completed pre season and about to start season 2, frustrating as I couldn't even go to London for a friendly with Chelsea as it was too far :-(

I beat FC Brugges 3-0 and drew 0-0 with Hamburg finishing off with a 3-0 win over Dundee

I'm into my 2nd season now and i tore up the league going unbeaten untill the very last game, was knocked out of both cups by celtic by the odd goal. I sold Lee Wallace straight away to get some funds in and managed to buy Barry Douglas 200k, Bradley Wright-Phillips £1.3m, Anthony Wordsworth 700k, Paul Connely 200k and also Jamie Mackie on loan.

Little and Wright-Phillips destroyed the league, and after starting the season 2 Wright-Phillips has started off played 10 scored 19. I have just had the embargo lifted and have signed Louis Saha. I couldn't register for the league but he fired a hatrick on his debut.

Loving the save at the moment but a bit worried as i am losing 1.7m a month at the moment.

Just hoping it doesn't sink me again.

Just trying to work both Aird and Naismith into my side when I can, with Naismith playing AML and Aird AMR. I do have Templeton and Shiels infront of them in their respective positions, but trying to build the two of them into better prospects. Aird just impressed me away in the Scottish Cup there with two goals although I was away to Girvan, whoever they are and Naismith also played well.

Been playing Naismith as a Inside Forward, pretty much because that's how I like Temps to play but not sure if it's Kai's best role, any advice?

Due to the receivers bug - I lost both Naismith & Hegarty and wasn't able to do anything about it. But Aird has been a revelation since he came into the side midway through the season due to injusy to Shiels, I play him as Right Winger and scores a fair few goals, I was playing Dundee United in Cup semi and was drawing 0-0 when I took temps off after 60 mins (much to his dislike) aird comes on and scores 2 in 10 mins and I finish them game winning 3-0 - He was a regular starter after that.

you will lose money in Division 3 because Rangers starts with players on like 12k a week. That's not a bug to be fixed, that's a fact of life and one I'm sure Rangers proper are currently having to deal with. You just need to be careful, cut down where you can and push through it. Gets easier the higher you go.

You will lose money over the season, but regain it again in june, each year i would build up to about 10-15mil in june then go into the red by start of the next years may, then be up to a healthy balance for the start of the following season.

Its a bit daunting at first, but the club recoups alot of cash in that end of june/july/start of august period between seasons, for me it was enough to just about cover each season before dipping into the red each time, then the 3rd season when i went up to the SPL i finished division 1 with profit of a few million, its still a good idea to offload players who have large wages though, like cribari/bocanegra/goian, i personally kept cribari till january season 2 but then i had Tyrone Loran as my other first choice and Faure stepped up to become a key player, then gasparotto in the wings.

So season 1 is at the half way mark, the end of the January transfer window.

February 1st 2012

Players Out

None

Players In

None

A quiet transfer window in which we managed to keep all of our star players. I have managed to grab a couple of 16 year olds on pre contracts for the summer so they should be able to be registered for next year.

The season itself has gone pretty well, the stats show:

Played - 22

Won - 17

Drawn - 4

Lost - 1

The loss was disapointing as I had played and won the game then suffered a crash and had to replay it which I ended up loosing, so I was a bit gutted there but other than that we have been playing well, albeit in a rather unique formation that was inspired by a formation I had success with in FM12.

The last match I lined up as follows:

GK - Alexander

DR - Argyriou

DC - Perry

WBL - Wallace

DMC - McCulloch

MC - Black

MR - Templeton

AMC - Hutton

AML - Aird

SC - McKay

FCR - Little

SUB - Douglas

SUB - Sheils

SUB - Gasparotto

SUB - Forssell

SUB - Naismith

I have promoted Sandy Jardine to Director of Football but without the ability to make any transfers he has not had much to do. Other staff appointments include bringing in Andy "The Goalie" Goram as a goalkeeping coach, Les Parry as a physio, John Reiley and Michael Watt as coaches and finally Willie Melville as a scout.

Financially we seem to be OK, we are loosing in the region of £1.2m a month and the bank balance stands at £1.2m so we will be going negitive shortly, fingers crossed I dont have to sell some of the young start who have been making such a good impression on the team.

Speaking of the team the top performers are as follows:

Average Rating: (apps in brackets)

Wallace - 7.29 (27)

Templeton - 7.27 (17)

Hutton - 7.26 (13)

Black - 7.22 (29)

Aird - 7.18 (21)

Goals:

Sandaza - 9

Aird - 9

Little - 9

Templeton - 8

Black - 8

Assists:

Wallace - 12

Black - 9

Hutton - 7

Sheils - 7

Templeton - 6

So its all going well, promotion should be sealed in the coming months and then I can concentrate on holding onto the key players for the second division and carry on scouting for the youngsters and hidden gems for the future.

No Surrender!

Some info and screens from my Rangers career.

In the SPL (season 4) won Scottish Cup in Div 1 so got European footy which seems to have made a huge difference in which players would join (maybe not, idk)

Anyway, squad: rangerssquadplayers2.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tactics: rangerstacticsteam.png

Results: rangersfixturesschedule.png

Finances: rangersboardroomfinance.png

Top regen: bradiemillaroverviewpro.png

Been doing really well in Europe but struggling to break down smaller teams in SPL. Most goals coming from Att Mids, pretty much given up trying to play two strikers.

Some info and screens from my Rangers career.

In the SPL (season 4) won Scottish Cup in Div 1 so got European footy which seems to have made a huge difference in which players would join (maybe not, idk)

Anyway, squad: rangerssquadplayers2.png

Tactics: rangerstacticsteam.png

Results: rangersfixturesschedule.png

Finances: rangersboardroomfinance.png

Top regen: bradiemillaroverviewpro.png

Been doing really well in Europe but struggling to break down smaller teams in SPL. Most goals coming from Att Mids, pretty much given up trying to play two strikers.

Nice going there mate!

How much did Daniel Agger and Iker Muniain set you back? You've done well to attract them.

I'm still far behind you, still in 2nd season having had a good start to the league. Got a while to catch up with you:rolleyes:

Agger and Munian were Bosman's, Agger is on £80k pm and Munian took £80k pm with 50% annual pay rise so he must be sold at end on season 2 unfortunately but should get a good price.

Agger accepted a pay cut down to £60k to extend his contract for 2 more years, delighted!

Surprised those two were mentioned and not the presence of Maloney : ) cheap filler so why not.

Agger and Munian were Bosman's, Agger is on £80k pm and Munian took £80k pm with 50% annual pay rise so he must be sold at end on season 2 unfortunately but should get a good price.

Agger accepted a pay cut down to £60k to extend his contract for 2 more years, delighted!

Surprised those two were mentioned and not the presence of Maloney : ) cheap filler so why not.

80k pm, as in 80k per month? So that means 20k per week right? If so, that is very impressive. But still a lot of money.

How are your finances now you're in SPL?

So the season is over and the Gers march back to the SPL has cleared the first hurdle.

Third Division

Rangers 91

Elgin 58

Berwick 54

Stirling 52

Clyde 46

Montrose 43

E.Stirling 43

Annan 41

Peterhead 38

Queens Park 37

Scottish Cup

Went out in round 2 with a 3-0 loss to Peterhead in a replay after a 1-1 draw at Ibrox

Challenge Cup

Went out in round 2 after losing 3-1 to Falkirk

League Cup

Lost to Celtic in round 3, 3-1 at Ibrox

So overall pretty happy with the performance, lost 3 league games which I was pretty happy with.

Top Scorer

Barrie McKay - 16

Fraser Aird - 13

Andy Little - 13

David Templeton - 10

Fransisco Sandaza - 9

Most Assists

Lee Wallace - 21

Ian Black - 14

Kyle Hutton - 11

David Templeton - 8

Fraser Aird - 7

A great year for the youngsters, hopefully they an keep up these kind of performace over the next couple of years.

WATP

anyone elses game still say they are in recievership in jan 2013? i tried to loan out naismith but to my dismay the recievers rejected it! i will be well ****ing pissed off if the bug is still in this

It is still there, be prepared to lose any player the AI feels like taking from you for next to nothing, it has been logged in bug forum and SI say it will be fixed in the next patch, pretty poor isn't it? Can't believe no-one picked up on it playing the beta.................

It ends when the embargo should, Sep 4th 2013.

2 weeks from start of season 2 in div 2 and admin bug still causing me issues, just lost Sandaza on top of losing Hegarty and Naismith. Hopefully no more as there is interest in Aird, Wallace and my back up keeper, roll on the close of the transfer window and the lifting of my embargo and pretend administration.

So it's not just me that took great pride in knocking out SPL teams lol

I was so happy when I knocked out Hearts!!! However, St Johnstone are quickly becoming my worst enemy, of the three times I've met them in cup competitions I've either gone out on penalties or to a last minute goal, gggrrrrr.

1st season and I made 3 signings :

- Lee Bowyer

- Mikkael Forssel

- Jason Koumas

None of them are on more than £3k a week and they're 1 year deals, Forssel has started on fire with something like 3 in 3. Bowyer is brilliant in the middle, can't wait to draw Celtic in the cup and see Bowyer & Black run over Brown!

Seasons looking promising.

There is a new FM13 hotfix patch just released and on the notes one of the fixes is: Rangers board selling players when not in receivership.

Good, at least that is fixed now, assuming won't affect existing games saves though so still need to get through 2 more weeks before I come out of Transfer Embargo

So time for another update now the final transfer window of the embargo is over.

8th September 2013

Players In

Stewart Bates - Aberystwyth - Free - 16yo regen AMC

Craig Wilson - Prestatyn - Free - 17yo regen AMR

Gareth Swattridge - Llanelli - 15yo regen DC

Barry Corbett - Leyton Orient - Free - 16yo regen AMC

Alex Kitchen - Newcastle - Free - 18yo DC

Conor Grant - Everton - Free - 18yo MC

Leo Chambers - West Ham - 18yo DC

Players Out

Emile Mpenza - Free

Mikael Forssell - Free

Pascal Chimbonda - Free

Habib Baye - Free

Francesco Stella - Free

Darren Cole - Free

Scott Gallacher - Free

Andrew Mitchell - Lincoln - Free

Kevin Kyle - Portsmouth - Free - Had played once last season and was not needed

Emilson Cribari - Grosseto - £30,000 - Wasnt getting much game time and took him off the wage bill

Dorin Goian - Bristol City - £500,000 - Had to get rid of his wages

So a bit of a clear out and some young blood into the reserves and to back up the first team. The season started off badly, loosing the opener 4-3 to Airdrie and then loosing two more, 3-2 to Alloa and 2-1 to Stenhousemuir. That necessitated a tactic change back to the 2-6-2 (2 x DC, 2 x wingbacks, DMC, 2 x MC, AMC, 2 x SC) that I started last season with and we turned it around with a 3-1 cup win over Ross County. Thankfully the embargo is now over and I can actually look at buying players again so I'm hoping to strengthen in January and take the second division title.

I have had a tycoon takeover by Donald Findlay, I am into the 2017/18 season (won div three in 12/13, div two in 13/14, div one in 14/15, finished 5th back in the SPL in 15/16 and won the league on the final day in 16/17)

Was lucky not to get the sack after being expected to challenge for the title in 15/16, the team were so inconsistent it was painful but now we've started playing properly! Considering this guy is meant to be a tycoon he hasn't given me much transfer money, instead he has focused on stopping us going bankrupt (last season he invested £33,460,000 whilst we still only broke even) fairly worrying.

We lost in the Europa League qualifiers on away goals last season after winning the Scottish Cup to qualify. This season we beat HJK in the first CL qualifier 8-3 on aggregate and now face Bylis (Albania) for the right to play in the group stage, that'd be massive with the finances and club reputation hopefully going up should we get through it.

My tactic seems to have finally started working, we have a good mix of youth and experience with a few regens for the future in and around the squad, here's a few screenshots...

My team at the moment...

ZgqIw.jpg

My transfers in the last two seasons....

ap3i4.jpg

My very first post on this site!

Just started up my Rangers game. Obviously a popular game on 2013. I'm trying to get rid of anyone collecting wages above 2000, except Lee Wallace. He is just too good. The key is to sign Free players, cheap Scottish players, and to sign transfer listed players on seson loan (or even better 2 years loan) - without paying anything.

It is almost impossible to get rid of players with high wages. Hopefully will I be able to get rid of the majority of the players in January.

Players in for my classical 4-4-2:

GK: Benvegnu FREE, Craig Samson £50k

DR: Stalteri FREE, Jack Grimmer LOAN

DL: Bob Harris LOAN

DC: Craddock LOAN, Pavel Kostal FREE, Darren McGregor £350k

MR: De Ridder LOAN, Kasper Hamalainen LOAN

MC: Richard Brittain £85k, Robson Ponte FREE, Ferrie Bodde FREE, Luigi Bruins FREE

ML: Simon Lappin LOAN, Fode Mansare FREE

ST: Simon Church LOAN, Leroy Lita LOAN, Adam Le Fondre LOAN, Mamady Sidibe LOAN.

All players signed are given maximum £1,5k in wages.

Any suggestions to better get rid of players? Tried selling, loaning out and mutual termination without success.

Just started up my Rangers game. Obviously a popular game on 2013. I'm trying to get rid of anyone collecting wages above 2000, except Lee Wallace. He is just too good. The key is to sign Free players, cheap Scottish players, and to sign transfer listed players on seson loan (or even better 2 years loan) - without paying anything.

It is almost impossible to get rid of players with high wages. Hopefully will I be able to get rid of the majority of the players in January.

MC: Richard Brittain £85k, Robson Ponte FREE, Ferrie Bodde FREE, Luigi Bruins FREE

ST: Simon Church LOAN, Leroy Lita LOAN, Adam Le Fondre LOAN, Mamady Sidibe LOAN.

Any suggestions to better get rid of players? Tried selling, loaning out and mutual termination without success.

Radical overhaul of the squad there. Are you not worried about all the loanees you have?

If no one's coming in for your players there's not much you can do, other than play them a bit and "put them in the shop window", let their contracts run down, or something like that.

I am thinking "Why waste money on players not good enough for the top division?". It seems possible to climb the divisions in Scotland with loanees (added with FREE players from each summer-window. Finally a overall lower wage-budget will enabled me to buy talented players for the future (and now). There are no rules (at least in 3rd divison) against # of loanees in squad or in match. The taught was to cut down drastically on the clubs wages. A plan not working as well as hoped, considering my extremely good reserve team atm :p However, I may use the players in the cups. Won against Celtic recently, only knocked out of the "unimportant" challenge cup.

I must say, players like Lappin, Stalteri, Le Fondre and Lita are tearing up the 3rd division. The quality of the league is maybe comparable to the English non-league?

Anyone else having problems with keeping a steady flow of cash throughout the season, losing money a monthly basis. Had a total of £1m in the red after being £10m in the black just after season tickets sales at the start of the season?

Is McCulloch worth keeping at the ned of season 1?. He still has good attributes but kepp getting coach reports that he is past his best.

hes going at a steady rate for me n div 2 but im coming into january and him an mpenza seem to have stopped scoring as regularly so i will be investing in a striker

Good post. Welcome to the forums and the thread mate. :thup:

Archived