FM:13 From topdogs to underdogs, Rangers Football Club

lovenkrands01

Yeah, im losing money every month but my season ticket sales make up for it.....im hoping when I get into Europe then i'll make more money....if I dont then it'll just be player sales and not going daft on wages that will make me enough money to buy top players.

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walked through the lower leagues fairly easily and finished 2nd in my first season back in the top flight (well ahead of Celtic in 5th though!).

Since Division 2, I've mostly relied on regens. My keeper, for example, was bought from Cork City for £90k when he was 16. He's now 19, has 20 caps for Ireland and is worth £2m. Croatia's been another ripe market, as has Costa Rica. At the moment, at the end of my fourth season, my starting team has five regens in it.

For real life players though, Abdi Ibrahim is usually released by Man City at the end of the second season. I bought him in initially as cover, but he's developed into my first choice central midfielder. Also, Gustav Svensson is brilliant on a freebie for your first season back in the SPL.

Looking forward to getting my first crack at European football this year and pretty determined to win the league. Last season, I would dominate games, but only score once, before a sucker punch in the 80 somethingth minute. I cut this out towards the end of last season with a few tactical tweaks, so hopefully things will be a little easier.

Well I officially cursed Lee McCulloch! After scoring over 40 goals in div3, breaking all kinds of records and picking up the Player of the Season award....he went an broke his ankle in a pre-season friendly a week before the div2 seasons 1st fixture! Gutted as at his age that will virtually retired the poor guy. Always notice CA drops like a lead ballon on players over 30.

Luckily the intake was kind to me and i've got a rather handy 16 year old coming through the ranks. Sandaza has been distinctly average and now the young 16 year old gets on the bench ahead of him. McCulloch will hopefully still have enough ability to be back up to. McCulloch like alot of players agreed to a new contract at reduced wages, but hes still one of my highest earners and after the broken ankle its likely I will let him go once his deal expires at the end of the season (2nd season on game).

Done quite well with the youth players I found while the embargo was present. By total luck I found Joe Van Der Sar and while I wont pretend hes going to be the next Dutch no1 hes developed very well for a 14 year old (when I signed him). Now at 16 he is more than capable being 2nd choice gk. Ive reached the point in game where the transfer embargo has just been lifted. Signed free players on free's the day after as its getting to the point now where virtually all my side are under 21 years old. Sign Lee Camp on a free whose easily better than Alexander with PA higher to, Simon Church also arrived who I was surprised to see still sitting there without a club. Took a few games to get up to fitness but hes now scoring for fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Im in my first season in the SPL....only played Hibs away but easily won 2-0 :) Signed Armstrong from United for £1.4m, thats basically my whole transfer budget gone. C****c have made some rubbish signings so I think I can finish above them if I can keep improving the youngsters i've bought in the previous years.

I've put my save on the back burner for a while. Just secured 1st in div2 and like div 3 didnt lose a game but if anything now my teams got my young players getting better and better I barely let a goal in over the enitre season and well its getting a little boring. I will come back to it im sure, but its really slowed up when it comes to processing time, most likely due to me loading so many players that my aging laptop cant handle like the good old fm12 days.

I always start with sunday league rep and work up and didnt like the fact that a 28 year old with no history was the mighty Rangers manager to lol!

• 3 weeks later...

Blitzed through the first 3 seasons no problem.

Signings were hit and miss. Tried to bring in a lot of youngsters in the hope they would come good but most didn't. Some of my better signings were Ben Gordon (Season 1), Lee Camp (Season 2), Jason Holt, Paul Dummett, Henri Toivomaki and Samuel Galindo (Season 3).

Kind of stuck because Dummett and Gordon both play well (7.52 after 11 and 7.51 after 19 respectively), just can't decide who my first pick is.

Halfway through the first season in the SPL. I'm second behind Celtic. True to real life they just seem to be able earn a beautiful amount of money on their signings: Wanyama left for £12m season 1, Mathews left for £8m season 3, Tony Watt left for £19m season 4. Watt leaving may actually help me as he was a machine (20 goals in 22 with 7 assists. 7.8 avg).

Struggling for goals tbh, got given next to nothing for the SPL and what I did get I spent on Johnny Russell who's been OK, but not fantastic (5 in 19). Got a few players on 4 or 5 goals but that's it. Does anyone have any recommendations?

After playing FM for years I finally got a great youth player come through. Wee lad by the name of Ross Johnstone. 5 star potential. The English Premier League is sniffing round had to offer him a contract immediately to prevent him going to Chelsea for 500k. Got high hopes of pairing him with McKay

Its nice to read there still people playing a Rangers Save.

I switched Jobs midseason 18/19, and went to Manchester United.

Took Greenwood with me and Nylund, iam crying everytime i see what the KI has done with my Rangers Team. They could have been so good...but no, sell the best players for cheap prices. Atleast Milne is still playing there (hes 30 now). It tend to easily gets boring, but i will start a new save with FM14.

Good luck to everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, alot of them are Regens, so i wont post them.

1 Season:

Lewis Milne from Cowdenbeath is absolutely worth it. He´s still playing there (iam into Season 23/24), good CM.

Sondre Rossbach from Odd BK, good solid backup, but sold him to St.Mirren (he was Nr1 there).

Noel Makombo-Eboma from Alloa. Will develop good.

2 Season:

Ryan McGivern, hes solid.

3 Season:

Johannes Geis (get him!!!)

Robbie Brady, will do good, but will not shine.

As mentioned before, the rest where Regens.

Can anyone who reads this do me a huge favour please. I'm gonna update the first post. Can you tell me your favourite signings (not newgens) in the first 2 or 3 seasons. I'll put the in first post and credit you of course.

Thanks.

Either Ben Gordon (Free, Season 1) 7.3 average overall after 5 seasons or Jason Holt (Free, season 3) 7.25 average. Great signings. Ben Gordon has been solid which is frustrating as I also signed Paul Dummett who is also playing well.

Can anyone who reads this do me a huge favour please. I'm gonna update the first post. Can you tell me your favourite signings (not newgens) in the first 2 or 3 seasons. I'll put the in first post and credit you of course.

Thanks.

I have only loaded all leagues from Scotland, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Wales for a quick game for a change. I am in the 5th season now and these have been my best signings so far that aren't regens.

First season

Hérold Goulon on a free

Abdi Ibrahim on a 2 year loan from Man City.

Callum McManaman on a 2 year loan from Wigan.

Cristiano Zanetti on a free transfer.

Shaun Cummings on a season long loan from Reading.

Danny Green on a 1 year loan from Charlton.

Ryan Gauld £550k compensation fee from Dundee United.

Second season.

Dele Alli on a free transfer.

James Tavernier on a 2 year loan from Newcastle United.

Abdi Ibrahim £22k from Man City.

Ross Draper £180k from Inverness CT.

Paul Dummett on a free transfer from Newcastle United.

Dan Gosling on a season long loan.

Third season.

Stuart Armstrong on a free transfer.

Cillian Sheridan on a free transfer.

Scott Laird on a free transfer.

Raúl Ruidíaz on a 6 month loan.

Fourth season.

James Tavernier on a free transfer.

Gary MacKay-Steven for £450k from Southampton.

Raúl Ruidíaz on a free transfer.

Max Clayton on a free transfer.

Fifth season.

Yaya Sanogo for £3.3m from Auxerre.

Danny Wilson for £1.4m from Liverpool.

Carl Jenkinson for £2.3m from Arsenal.

Archived