FM:13 From topdogs to underdogs, Rangers Football Club

lovenkrands01

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He hasn't turned out amazing on mine so is currently on loan at Falkirk, he has 10 for dribbling & crossing etc. (currently Oct 2015).

My current XI is:

Craig Gordon

Lee Wallace

Marc McAusland

Ross Perry

Darren Cole

Gary Fisher

Darren McGregor

James Ness

Paul Gallagher

Kris Commons

Barrie McKay

I'm currently 1st in the first division and my XI is:

Sam Johnstone (21yo, free transfer )

Andrew Black (19yo, free transfer)

Luca Gasparotto (19yo, Rangers)

Stuart Urquhart (19yo, Rangers)

Stephen Hendrie (20yo, 200k)

David Templeton (26yo, Rangers)

Martin Malin (16yo, Rangers) *regen*

Lewis Macleod (20yo, Rangers)

Lee Wallace (27yo, Rangers)

Darren Ramsey (19yo, Rangers)

Barrie McKay (20yo, Rangers)

As you can see, it's a pretty youthful and homegrown team. I rotate a lot, however, so other players who are worth mentioning are:

Adam Webster (20yo, free transfer)

Kenny Mclean (23yo, 825k) He unfortunately got a 11 month injury which has allowed the 16yo to enter the team. Fantastic player though.

Mamady Sidibe (34yo, free transfer) I've had him since the third division. He's now a backup player for Darren Ramsey and Ashley Harris, still chipped in with 8 goals this season though.

Ashley Harris (21yo, free transfer)

Will Hoskins (28yo, 20k) purely backup

just finshed my 5th season

spl won 4points btween us and celtic finshed with 81points

league cup 3rd round

europa league semi final

scottish cup won

transfers in

mahane sylla regen amc free

ryo miyaichi free

ibrahima diallo regen rb 2m

transfers out

ramsay free

paul kane 500k

stuart urquhart 1m

total 1.5m

Hey Ryknow

Big thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions, most appreciated.

You're right about the money, its £7m for group stage, £700-900k for a win in Fm13, I just wonder what the TV money will be like on FM13 for Rangers, as I believe it's based on the country ranking- SPL is 31st at present. Season tickets are certainly the source of funds at present! My wage spend is now £90k as I 'treated' myself to some new signings to bulk the squad out.

It was hard as ONLY Scottish players, Kriss Commons on loan, signed Paul Gallagher for £80k though.

Some are saying it's impossible to win the CL with an all Scottish team, will take alot of time but I think it could happen eventually.....will be fun.

I'm 2nd now after 5-7 games, Celtic showed me the size of the gap though when they beat me 4-1 at their place, still this is my 1st SPL season.

Only Scottish is a massive commitment. I've found some great Northern Irish newgens so maybe they could pass? ;)

I'm surprised at the quality of Scottish newgens in this FM, so I suggest snapping them all up asap on creation date. At least you are basically guaranteed 1-3 good players through your own intake.

I'll be taking a more subdued approach with my HG rules. With a view to maintaining the academy HG players at the club and buying young to develop. So I have a preference and large amount of Scottish players already atm, but not 100% like you. I also find it easier to offload the foreigners to make profit, as its difficult to come by quality real Scottish players.

just finshed my 5th season

spl won 4points btween us and celtic finshed with 81points

league cup 3rd round

europa league semi final

scottish cup won

transfers in

mahane sylla regen amc free

ryo miyaichi free

ibrahima diallo regen rb 2m

transfers out

ramsay free

paul kane 500k

stuart urquhart 1m

total 1.5m

Nice job, how's all the finances going. Budgets? Wage bill? Etc

Just finished my first season and 3rd Division proved to be a walk over.

Players In -

Siegrist (GK) - Aston Villa - 2 Year Loan

Mpenza (ST) - Free

Tidser (CM) - Hibs - £240K

Sinclair (D/M L) - Partick Thistle - £100k

Fraser (M/AM L/R) - Aberdeen - 2 Year Loan

McAusland - (D C) - St Mirren - £150K

Players Out -

McCulloch - Charlton - Free

Kyle - Free

Hegarty - Luton - £5K

I need to play with my wage budget to end up forking out £500K on incoming transfers and McCulloch and Kyle where let go for free as they wouldn't get a game as I concentrated on the future and they helped reduce the wage bill.

league3k.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

league3stats.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Won the Challenge Cup with no problems however was knocked out the League Cup in the 2nd Round by St Mirren. St Mirren then haunted me again by knocking me out of the Scottish Cup in the Quarter Final.

Just thought I'd let you know how I'm doing!

I really wanted to do the whole Scottish challenge thing except for the rule that I could keep the foreign players that were already at the club. So after getting to the SPL with just that, winning the challenge cups and a league cup along the way I really started to struggle and kick on from there! There were no real top talent coming through Murray Park or any that were going to progress my team, and Celtic were starting to annoy me constantly winning the league. It all changed when I found a regen that had scottish parents but was playing in Poland for Legia. He was a ST and had 18 for finishing along with 19pace and something similar acceleration. My scouts had missed him despite having 2 scouts in this area. I happened to stumble across him as he scored a hattrick against newcastle in the euro cup.

Got him that Summer and my team has gone Crazy since then, 3 League titles back to back including 2 trebles and a champions league quarter final appearance. Ibrox has been upgraded to a 64000 all seater. I have a transfer budget of 24m and wage budget of 350,000. Now getting overs of 40m+ for him from Chelsea and Athletico Madrid but he is happy and not considering moving. I am loving it!

Best part is that I am currently on a 82game unbeaten run!

This is definitely the best FM save I have had!

Just thought I'd let you know how I'm doing!

I really wanted to do the whole Scottish challenge thing except for the rule that I could keep the foreign players that were already at the club. So after getting to the SPL with just that, winning the challenge cups and a league cup along the way I really started to struggle and kick on from there! There were no real top talent coming through Murray Park or any that were going to progress my team, and Celtic were starting to annoy me constantly winning the league. It all changed when I found a regen that had scottish parents but was playing in Poland for Legia. He was a ST and had 18 for finishing along with 19pace and something similar acceleration. My scouts had missed him despite having 2 scouts in this area. I happened to stumble across him as he scored a hattrick against newcastle in the euro cup.

Got him that Summer and my team has gone Crazy since then, 3 League titles back to back including 2 trebles and a champions league quarter final appearance. Ibrox has been upgraded to a 64000 all seater. I have a transfer budget of 24m and wage budget of 350,000. Now getting overs of 40m+ for him from Chelsea and Athletico Madrid but he is happy and not considering moving. I am loving it!

Best part is that I am currently on a 82game unbeaten run!

This is definitely the best FM save I have had!

Brilliant news!! How did you find the wonderkid?

I agree this is going to be VERY hard using only Scottish players, but I find most challenges get too easy. My mate is doing this challenge with Stirling, now THAT is hard!

1st season back in the SPL and it's v close between Celtic and me, with 6 games to go. I got given £4.4m to spend in jan but there just wasn't anyone around, managed to get 1 decent MC signed up for just 50k (worth £1m+) as he fell out with his club West Brom, and a lad from Bolton (ST, 19 years old) lined up on a free (worth £1-2m also) for the summer, £10k a week though.

Wages have crept up to £130k a week now, that will be the main spend on this save as I have to capture the decent Scottish players no matter what. Charlie Adam is my big summer target as he is unsettled at present.

Oh and this as massively disappointing, just had my youth intake and the best player was ONE star rating (assistant has 20/16 for judging). :(

All others were half star or less! Terrible as youth will be key to this save!

There's a bug with the star ratings for youth intake players in the latest update, you wont see their true star rating until you sign them, best to judge them by attributes for now till they hopefully fix it in the next patch.

Slipknot is on the money, should be fixed next patch. They are well aware of it.

A rough guide is times the stars by two. So a two star PA player once signed could be 4-4.5.

I had a 1 star PA get rated at 3, then a 2 star at 4.5.

Ok update from me & my Scottish only players Rangers save.

Transfers:

Signed 3 decent players on free's plus Charlie Adam on loan. Collier (winger/striker) might be a regen but he is pretty decent, Fraser is another winger and seems decent, Allan was the other, he isn't as good as I'd hoped yet. REALLY hard to find players now who will improve the team, Celtic have some good Scottish talents but they are never interested in signing (realistic I guess), they also signed Andy Carroll, their squad is v strong!

Finances:

£21m in the bank, helped by getting to the CL group stage. Wage spent £160k and spent £1.2m on players in the summer (as I said its hard to actually find any decent Scottish players now).

SPL:

1st year back I came a close 2nd to Celtic, mainly because I had to play them THREE times away and once at home.

2nd season I'm mid October and 1 point behind Celtic, because they just beat me at their place (again I'm playing them more away than at home!). Drawn 1 game and won all others.

Champions League:

1st season in the CL for me at Rangers, beat Kiev and then Sporting to qualify, was 4th seed so got a hard group of Dortmund, SLB and Athletico Madrid.

Somehow managed to beat Athletico 5-1 at home! Then snatched a 2-1 win away to Dortmund, amazing results as I'd aimed for 6 points from ALL the group games to be honest.

Misc:

Scottish league is up to 17th in the world now, Celtic are very strong and will be a big challenge to overhaul, all about consistency I think, i.e must win all games as probably will lose when playing Celtic away.

Scotland NT job, will it came up and I applied but they gave it to Dougie Freedman, shame, will go for it again the next time it comes up.

Season 7 still going well for me.

Almost got a draw with Liverpool in the home group game of Champions League. Was literally 30 seconds away from holding on, but alas it wasnt to be and the winner for them came. I think 4 points from my last two games (Genk away and Dynamo Kyiv at home) will be enough to get through and into the real money!

Got about £20m in the bank, spending £180k on wages currently.

Currently 5 points clear of Celtic at the top just coming up to Xmas time. Could it possibly be my year?!

Attendances are 44k average.

Qualified for next stage of Champions League, got drawn against Sevilla.

Still going strong in SPL - beat Celtic twice now, but still only 6 points clear of them, as they are only point they have dropped! Going to be very close this time.

I'm in my 1st season in the SPL and had a 54 game unbeaten run in all competitions ended by the Jambos - currently in October and Celtic are 5 pts ahead.

In Europe ( won the scottish cup last season) I qualified for europa throught the 2 qualifiers and got Athletico, Bordeaux and some random diddy team.

1st game was away to diddy team and got beat (ouch)

2nd game home to Athletico who took a 2-0 lead into half time with a Falcao double and thought I was in for a pounding, changed things around and got back to 2-2 in 81 mins, only to concede a 3rd in 83 mins. Fear not cos I equalised in 85 and went gung ho and scored a 4th in 89 and a 5th in 90+3 - couldn't believe - my greatest victory of this save so far.

3rd Game - Bordeaux away - Went for a more defensive 4-1-4-1 instead of my usual 4-3-3 as was looking for a draw - and snatched a 1-0 victory so with 1 round of games over I'm top on 6pts.

Bring on the diddys at home :-)

right guys, not sure if anyone has noticed yet, the STVnews website has created a database for football manager 2013 to show what the league reconstruction will be like, i have created a thread for it here

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/343323-FM13-SPLreconstruction-Courtesy-Of-STVnews

just incase anyone wishes to give it a bash :)

First season back in SPL and I'm 7 points clear of Celtic having just beaten then 2 - 1 at Ibrox. My team is full of youngsters and other than Steve Sidwell who I signed at the start of the season purely to tutor my young players the oldest players I have are Faure and Abdi Ibrahim from Man City. Apart from winning each of the divisions on the way up I haven't won any silverware, couple of cup finals but got beat on penalties and a few semi finals. Thought I would win at least the Challenge cup but not to be. Had hoped to win the Scottish Cup to get european football this season but got put out at the semi's in one of those games that you totally dominate but they score their one and only chance.

Was concerned with how hard the SPL would be from the other posts on here but so far I've been beating teams quite easily. Built my team of high potential youngsters from division 3 and played them non stop, now it's paying dividends. For my tactics I have copied a Dortmund tactic they used against me in a friendly, and though not the most defensively sound available I'm creating bags of clear cut chances and scoring plenty of goals. Playing a lone complete striker on support, a AML on attack, AMC on attack, RW on attack, CM on DLP support, CM on BWM defend and a normal back four. I have no idea how to upload stuff or if anyone would want to see any of the youngsters or tactics but let me know and I shall.

Got a little dilema heer lads in the second division with the mighty gers i have won the league by the end of febuary with 30 points clear of alloa in second and with a scottish cup semi final against hibs coming up should i play some youngstes/fringe player in the league and rest my key players for the semi final against hibs

Unless you're hung up on keeping records, I would play as many promising youngsters as you can. Especially with the league won, a draw here or there isn't so bad.

I decided to give FM another go, but after getting over the ME issues, it just is too easy and boring. Was really enjoying the challenge in the SPL on 13.1.2, but now I can just turn up and win.

This is the Super Challenge this month at my website and a fair amount of people seem to be doing it, so I'm about to fire up a save with them so I don't get left behind in the points :D

So does anyone have any tips for me, I've never been Rangers before. I'm guessing because finances will be tight for quite a while I'll be best blooding as many youths as possible?

This is the Super Challenge this month at my website and a fair amount of people seem to be doing it, so I'm about to fire up a save with them so I don't get left behind in the points :D

So does anyone have any tips for me, I've never been Rangers before. I'm guessing because finances will be tight for quite a while I'll be best blooding as many youths as possible?

What do you have to do in this challenge Cleon?

Just get promoted and win SPL at first attempt.

Some have gone down the signing and getting young players at the club in the first 3 seasons as they should be a doddle. You do lose a lot of money though, but make it up in pre-season again before losing it again. I just tried to buy experienced players in the first season to make sure I went up. A lot of the youngsters at the club at the moment imo, aren't good enough.

Focus on youth and avoid paying more than £5k pw on an experienced player. Tbh, you really don't need them as Div1-3 is really poor. The current experienced players will do until you bring in pre-contracted players after the ban. The best 1-2 players of your youth intake each year, can get around 10 games straight away, so they develop faster for the SPL. I had a 15yr old outshining the senior players.

The aim will be winning 85-90% of your games when back in the SPL, which by my experience should be fine on the current patch. Avoid Gael Kakuta (bosman) on this patch, as his "Shoots from Distance" and "Runs with ball" make him useless. Even when working on his instructions he still made 8-10 long shots even when a better option was present. Since dropping him, I play far better. He should be fine whenever the update comes out.

Absolutely ripping the Champions League to pieces in season 7. Qualified from the group stages, then knocked out Sevilla and Marseille. Through to the quarters and up against Lille.

Have won Scottish League cup this season and through to the semis of the Scottish Cup. Two points behind Celtic in the league but have 2 games in hand on them, and still have them to play again.

Exciting times. Ha

Harder going for me as using only Scottish players, neck and neck with Celtic at Xmas in season 2 of the SPL.

Amazing results in my first CL season, beat Athletico Madrid 5-1 at home, Drew 2-2 away, beat Dortmund 2-1 away etc, managed to win the group with 13 points on goal difference. Got Bayern in the 1st knockout, doubt I can win that.

Have some good young players, annoyingly I only spent £1.2m in the summer and hit my wage/budget limit, I thought as I had £20m+ in the bank I might get a new budget at Xmas, NOPE! Bit annoying, not that there is anyone to sign really - using only Scottish players REALLY limits the potential targets.

Challenges are always too easy so this is making a nice change.

Harder going for me as using only Scottish players, neck and neck with Celtic at Xmas in season 2 of the SPL.

Amazing results in my first CL season, beat Athletico Madrid 5-1 at home, Drew 2-2 away, beat Dortmund 2-1 away etc, managed to win the group with 13 points on goal difference. Got Bayern in the 1st knockout, doubt I can win that.

Have some good young players, annoyingly I only spent £1.2m in the summer and hit my wage/budget limit, I thought as I had £20m+ in the bank I might get a new budget at Xmas, NOPE! Bit annoying, not that there is anyone to sign really - using only Scottish players REALLY limits the potential targets.

Challenges are always too easy so this is making a nice change.

I guess all you can do is improve your facilities and aim to produce the best Scottish talents. Long term, but you won't find anymore 'real players' worthy of improving your team unless you can afford the Prem lads.

just finnished season 1 in the blue square bet premier,

finished 1st, P - 46, W - 37, D - 5, L - 4

only signed 2 players, sinclair from partick thistle & abied on loan from newcastle for the season

just about to start season 2, first season in the npower league 2, and i forgot about the transfer ban so abied has went to newcastle and i feel im fecked, but time will tell :)

Some have gone down the signing and getting young players at the club in the first 3 seasons as they should be a doddle. You do lose a lot of money though, but make it up in pre-season again before losing it again. I just tried to buy experienced players in the first season to make sure I went up. A lot of the youngsters at the club at the moment imo, aren't good enough.

I disagree, youngsters such as Darren Ramsey, Luca Gasparotto, Lewis Macleod etc are too good for that level. As soon as you're in the SPL, they're insane.

Second season in SPL got an offer of £2milish for Gasparotto, negotiated up to £4.2mil, but I wanted £5mil at least. It will cost me too much to bring a player in and would be on bigger wages atm. Gasparotto and Faure are very good together.

If I get a bargain newgen like I've been doing then I will move him on. Only valued at £750k.

I currently have Balotelli on trial, just for sh*ts and giggles. I would never sign him in real life but wanted to see how he played in pre season. My newgen striker is rated more than him.

My midfield 3 (2 CMs, one DM) now consists only of newgens, besides Jermaine Jones who will get a run out as he's player/coach.

Still hate this ME. Get hardly any enjoyment out of games.

I've been busy :D

Just completed 7IAR in the SPL now, with Lee Wallace at the grand old age of 34 still my club captain (although not a regular first pick).

Also manager of Scotland in the 2022 WC, got us through a group stage of Ivory Coast, Spain and Jordan, beat Wales in Second round then beaten 2-1 by Brazil in the Quarters.

Six of the boys in my first team have come through Murray Park as youth candidates, the two centre backs, my playmaker, my attacking mid, left winger and lone striker. Pretty much the spine of the team came through MP. I'm hoping to have that increased to 11 by the time I win 10IAR. Have Lee Wallace signed up to that season so we'll see :D

hey guys i dont post much on here but i have just noticed that in my rangers career im on season 2024/2025 that im still starting the league cup in the second round even though i have won it 4 years in a row. anyone else noticed this? i have actually just read the rules for the league cup and it says winners should start in the 3rd round should i post this in the bugs forum

Yeah sounds like a bug, but could be handy to just play some youngster in.

Does anyone have their U19 in a league? I'm second season SPL and still don't get the message being invited to U19 league. I get invited to reserve league every time.

Does anyone have their U19 in a league? I'm second season SPL and still don't get the message being invited to U19 league. I get invited to reserve league every time.

I might be wrong as I haven't checked but I remember being invited to the reserves but the under 19's league is considered compulsory by the board so you sign up to that automatically?

Season 8 (2019/2020) – SPL

League:

Position 1st

Pl: 38 w: 29 drawn: 5 l: 4 – pts 92 (ended up 19 points ahead of Celtic)

Pretty easy season league wise. I was also able to give my young back ups quite a few games due to Celtic being very poor at the start of the season.

Cups

League cup – Lost in the final on penalties to Celtic

Scottish cup – Lost in the 5th round 0-1 to Raith

Europe:

Champions league – Came 3rd in the group stage in a group consisting of Ac Milan, Man City and Hannover. I beat AC 4-2 at home and Hannover home and away. Unfortunately I finished 1 point behind AC to go into the Europa league

Euro cup – I beat Cluj 5-1 on Agg 1st knockout round. In the 2nd knockout round I was beaten 4-2 on agg.

Transfers in

Danny Wilson – free

Also a few newgens who go straight into the 1st team

Most notably an 18yo central defender for 3.3mill who looks outstanding and goes straight into 1st team.

Players out

lots & lots of young lads on loans and released

Players of note

Barrie McKay: Pl: 39 gls: 25 asst: 6 avg rat: 7.48

Ronald Jimenez (newgens): Pl: 37 gls: 4 asst: 0 avg rat: 7.34

John Fleck: Pl: 30 gls: 8 asst: 15 avg rat: 7.50

Will Hughes: Pl: 39 gls: 14 asst: 20 avg rat: 7.57

Chucks Aneke: Pl: 34 gls: 5 asst: 7 avg rat: 7.70

Next season goals

Hopefully I can get to the knockout stages of the Champions league and also retain the SPL trophy.

Just finished first season Won Div 3, Challenge Cup and League Cup. Got beat by them 1-0 in Scottish Cup Final.

How much money does the club lose in first few seasons? My income for season say 25,245,482 and Expenditure was 25,528,922 not much of difference but i am positive i started season with around 6 million mark. so where has this 6 million gone? surely with the income and expenditure being almost identical it should work out that there should be just under the original starting balance left

Just finished first season Won Div 3, Challenge Cup and League Cup. Got beat by them 1-0 in Scottish Cup Final.

How much money does the club lose in first few seasons? My income for season say 25,245,482 and Expenditure was 25,528,922 not much of difference but i am positive i started season with around 6 million mark. so where has this 6 million gone? surely with the income and expenditure being almost identical it should work out that there should be just under the original starting balance left

You'll need to look at the finances screen for the breakdown. From memory the club was losing a couple of mil a season overall, the expenses seem ridiculous, I mean I was spending £17,000 PER DAY on ground maintenance, that seems unrealisitc to me, non-football costs are massive etc too, basically I lose £2m a month on average, I'm upto the 3rd SPL season now (2018) and have £20m in the bank but thats because I've been in the CL group stage once and the Europa league once.

Season ticket sales are you're savoir. I've spent v little on transfers as I'm doing this save with only Scottish players.

Anyway the finances on Fm13 are nuts IMO, probably fairly realistic in terms of overall per season stuff but way out IMO on the breakdown.

Update from me = 3rd SPL season (2018) and Lennon has resigned from Celtic, they have FINALLY had a bad season after utterly daddying it previously (99 points etc), lost 4 games which is unheard of so they are 2nd behind me by 10 points end of Feb, this will finally be my year to win back the SPL.

Got knocked out the CL in the play off as I had to play Man City! 4-4 at home, 4-1 lost away. Remember I'm use ONLY Scottish players so my team isn't amazing. Got a couple of ok youth prospects making their way into the starting XI now but its SO hard to find anyone Scottish to sign to improve my team, hoping to sign an aging Darren Fletcher in the summer and get Charlie Adam back.

Archived