FM13: Southampton F.C. - Reasons to be cheerful - Part 3!

Matthew Le God

Just to add on my last post regarding my tactic.

Possession is usually 50/50 or there abouts. The back 7 are happy to pass it around but as soon as one of the more forward thinking players gets the ball.. Charge! (Every now and then fullbacks will go on long mazy runs)

Lots of misses, although that is partially down to players like Zaha/Redmond/Clyne/Ademilson.

Ademilson hasnt been successful for me. Neymar or Rodrigo are the type of player you want for the T role. My regen (who ive just sold for 45m to Madrid) relied on his speed and ability on the ball to come need and run the ball 30 yards before shooting. Ademilson doesnt fit this role for me (hasnt developed well) so I will have to be on the lookout for a new striker.

Ginter And Kirchoff are beasts for me (combined value of just under 50m). Bagged about 15/20 goals between them from corners in the title winning season. Love these two, absolutely recommend.

Ademilson's average rating is only just 7 for me but he's scored about 9 in 17 for me with some appearances from the bench, which is pretty good considering he's only 18 and come straight from Brazil. His stats though definitely say 'poacher' to me rather than treq or a creative type player. His strengths are finishing, off the ball, and composure with decent pace.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/322197-FM13-Ademilson

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ademilson's average rating is only just 7 for me but he's scored about 9 in 17 for me with some appearances from the bench, which is pretty good considering he's only 18 and come straight from Brazil. His stats though definitely say 'poacher' to me rather than treq or a creative type player. His strengths are finishing, off the ball, and composure with decent pace.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/322197-FM13-Ademilson

Yea exactly. I bought him before I had this tactic in mind and he just doesnt fit into it.

No, No, Yes

Matthias Ginter plays for Freiburg

Ruben Yttergard Jensen plays for Tromso, although I bought him from Twente a year later at about 8x the previous sale price

Murillo is a regen and is no longer part of my team

Another player you could look out for is Magnus Wolff Eikrem, very good player who I would have signed if it wasnt for already having my midfield partnership already.

Okay. Can you remember how much he would set my back, say at end of season 1??

He was listed at the end of August for me at around the £10 million mark, got him for a bit less than that witha few add ons.

Transfer fees seem to cluctuate about, first Saints save I got Kirchoff for £7 million flat at the end of the first season, I've just bought him for twice that in January.

In my Arsenal game Astori was also listed but for far less.

Centre-backs and decent wide players are the priority for that Saints team IMO.

Cheers for the suggestion. Would he (Eikrem) play in the position Ruben Yttergard Jensen plays in for you? as a DLP (support) and the teams ticked playmaker?

Yes that would be where I would play him. He would be comfortable playing further forward if you wanted, because he has a good first touch, however is dribbling and other attributes would limit the impact he has there in my tactic.

Starting a save...

Only targets in mind so far are a couple of first choice CB's , Zaha and Siebe Schrijvers (my newest favourite buy)

For CB's I was considering:

Jan Kirchhoff (but not sure as everyone buys him)

Dragovic (solid defender for cheap)

Ashley Williams (standard buy)

Danny Batth

Have played a half season with the original team, and only now in January got my first transfer budget. Bought three youngsters who joined the club on new years day, and is starting to look towards the new season already. Replacing the ones who I have decided will not be given new contracts (Richardson, Boruc, Chaplow and Puncheon). Replacements in respective positions: (Seamus Coleman, Jack Butland, Magnus Wolff Eikrem and Ole Kristian Selnæs). Also tried to bring in Vegard Forren as a ball playing defender, but he tried his luck in Turkey instead. Only purchasing british and norwegian players for the first team, while the youth team will be filled with talented youngsters from around the world.

I'm having a strict rule on amount of players in each squad: 25 in senior squad, maximum 11 in reserves, and 22 in youth team. Each youth member is made available to the reserves, giving them as much game-time as possible.

21 games into the season, I'm 14th, with 25 points, 5 points ahead of relegation zone.

Tactical I'm using a 4-3-1-2 narrow formation, where Tadanari Lee have been outstanding in the attacking midfield positions. Struggling to get goals from Lambert and Mayuka, while Rodriguez is top scorer. Have had some really bad losses (5-0 Norwich, 4-1 Reading, 4-1 Fulham) but also some wonderful victories (4-2 Arsenal, 4-2 Newcastle

Not made any big changes in the backroom staff, but will evaluate these before next season as well.

Hoping to survive the relegation battle now.

So I just finished my first season in charge of Southampton and it was pretty successful overall.

I got to the 5th and 6th rounds of the league/FA Cup and managed to finish 8th in the league. I feel I could have don better in the league but I struggled towards the end of the season, only picking up 10 points from my final 11 games, with poor performances from players who had been previously very reliable (Boruc and Cork in particular).

Tactics wise I went for a pretty standard 4-2-3-1 aiming to get most out of Lallana and Ramirez in particular, I struggled to get Lambert to fit but Jay Rodriguez came in and did well, ending up as top scorer in the league (with 27 goals). I scored a lot of goals this season but I do need to look towards becoming a bit more solid at the back and hopefully a little more consistent before next season.

I was initially going to look to sign more players in January but I decided against it as my current (rather small) squad was performing well. Danny Fox ended the season as one of my best players, Richardson did well even when asked to cover at CB when both Yoshida and Fonte were injured in December, also the encouraging development of both Luke Shaw and Ward-Prowse meant I didn't feel desperate for new additions.

Transfers

In:

Royston Drenthe (free)

Paul Pogba (loan)

Andreu Fontas (loan for the 2nd half of the season)

Bressan (free)

I also managed to arrange transfers for Jan Kirchoff (£8.5m), David Ospina (free), Matheus Diovany (free), Ryan Guald (free) and Cristopher Drazan (free).

Out:

de Ridder, do Prado, Chaplow, Puncheon, Seaborne, Forte, Robinson

Plan is to sort out the backroom staff over the summer and keep an eye out for a defensive midfielder, then to do my best not to succumb to 'second season syndrome'. Also I think I need to learn to trust my squad players more, there were times when my first 11 were getting tired but I couldn't rely on my squad becuase they were lacking in match fitness.

Starting a save...

Only targets in mind so far are a couple of first choice CB's , Zaha and Siebe Schrijvers (my newest favourite buy)

Danny Batth

To be fair in both my games Fonte has been very solid for me first season and then becomes a sellable asset later (think I got about £4.5 million for him last time), so that could free up some finds for other targets if you only get one CB.

I'd also recommend some extra attacking players depending on your formation, there is enough in Attack with Lamber, Rodriguez and Mayuka but beyond Lallana and Ramirez there isn't much.

Just finished the first season, finished a solid 7th, went on a bad run during the season, but we pulled it back, very happy with where we finished. Lambert finished with 19 goals in the Premier League, making him second top scorer after Rooney, so very pleased with that. Playing a narrow 4-4-2 diamond, Ramirez as the Trequartista and playing very well. Brought in Siebe Schrijvers and Bellusci in the summer, and then in January brought in Ademilson, Yann Sommer and Mehmet Ekici. Hannover got relegated so I wouldn't mind bringing in Ron-Robert Ziegler, also Marin is listed and could do with someone to challenge Ramirez for AMC slot.

Starting a save...

Danny Batth

You can also take a look at Erik Sviatchenko. I bought him for only 1.2M and so far he's been rock solid. Here's a screenshot of him in the third season.

Nice recommendations everyone. Always good to beat the top teams to hidden gems when managing a team like Southampton.

Who does everyone have as striker(s). I know of Admeilson and Kweuke as strikers who dont cost the world who come to Southampton in first season - also add Quintero and Henriquez (loan from man utd) to that list...anymore suggestions?

Nice recommendations everyone. Always good to beat the top teams to hidden gems when managing a team like Southampton.

Who does everyone have as striker(s). I know of Admeilson and Kweuke as strikers who dont cost the world who come to Southampton in first season - also add Quintero and Henriquez (loan from man utd) to that list...anymore suggestions?

Not sure you need many strikers with Lambert and Rodriguez.

Jay Rod became an England regular for me and was banging in 35 goals a season easily.

Not sure you need many strikers with Lambert and Rodriguez.

Jay Rod became an England regular for me and was banging in 35 goals a season easily.

True, but Lambert ain't no spring chicken and i play two upfront. He's more suited to the lone striker role. So being that i play two upfront i would ideally like 4 strikers...hence the post for suggestions....

^depends who you have/need?

Finished my season, slipped down to 4th and got there on goal difference (mainly thanks to the mean defence).

Need to have another look at my tactics as in a lot of games I was having far far too many shots but not enough clear cut chances for the amount of possession. Ademilson ended up being top scorer and his stats are coming along nicely.

Second Season

Transfers in:

Curtis Davies £6M

Jan Kirchhoff £8M

Zaha £6M

David Ospina Free

Artem Milevskiy Free

Andy carroll loan

Grosskruetz(Sp?) loan

Had a superb first half of season hovering around 8-10th place. Didn't make any signings in January which cost me dearly. my form went into free-fall and I picked up a miserable 5 points from the close of the window until the end of the season, eventually succumbing to a 15th place finish.

Kirchhoff was my stand out performer being the only player to receive high ratings even when things were at there worst.

Just about to begin season 3. Have already sold Jay Rod, Sharp, Milevskiy and Gazzainga while I've agreed the transfers of Denilson (Arsenal), Eduardo Vargas and Paloschi.

Hello everyone!

Started my Southampton save last friday I'm into October of 2nd season atm.

Finished at 11th in my first season and I can say i made a revolution in the team. Atm I'm really strugglin :/ sittin' at 20th after 5 games. Can't get the best out of Ramirez and this is driving me nuts. Any recommendation on how to play Gaston? I'd love it.

Has anyone else been given extra funds in January? Got a message saying that due to the the improved financial position Cortese has increased my budget to £8m (was at £1m after purchases)? Looking to add Fierro if possible and maybe add a couple of tutors to improve my youngsters.

Has anyone else been given extra funds in January? Got a message saying that due to the the improved financial position Cortese has increased my budget to £8m (was at £1m after purchases)? Looking to add Fierro if possible and maybe add a couple of tutors to improve my youngsters.

I didn't. At the beginning of the season i told Cortese we were fighting for a spot in the lower half of the table so maybe that's one of the reasons I wasn't given extra funds.

Oh, and my reserve team would kick-ass if every player there had like 10 years less. Crespo, Litmanem, Salgado, etc. Old glories ftw!

Got given £21 million!

Spent some of it on Kirchoff but spent little lese as I wasn't sure where I was going to end up at the end of ths season so wanted a decent summer transfer pot.

Also was worried about the balnce but it seems ok.

Yes, Kirchoff is a very good prospect. How much did he cost you?

At the time he was listed I didn't have enough funds to get him. He ended in Dortmund for 11,25M.

Oh by the way, Ademilson = beast. He was basically forced to take a spot in the first team in the second half of the 1st season and has been a key player in this 2nd season. He started the season so badly, but since November he turned into a completely different player. 27 games, 19 goals!

Real Madrid wants him :(

Yes, Kirchoff is a very good prospect. How much did he cost you?

I came up with a complicated deal with a load of add-ons (including a quite hefty international appearance fee ;))

all in all though he'll probably cost me about £11 million ish, with about £7 million up front.

Got him for far less in my first game around £6.5 million straight up, but that was second season whereas this was first window. Worth every penny though!

Just finished my 2nd season. I'm a bit disappointed, I thought we could do better than a 12th place, but whatever, we had lots of problems:

The bad start from Ademilson, bad season from Pepe, some kids on the first team who had troubles playing on Premier League and the most important aspect, we conceded tons of goals (there was a time i was yelling at the school library because Zieler completely lost us 3 points against Bolton and I'm not even accounting those moments when he could do better).

Finally I have a tactic that makes Ramirez and Nem play good, but they aren't still playing at -what I think it's- their best.

Stars of the season: Ademilson, Burdisso and Capoue. Here come some screenshots:

primeiraligainglesavist.png

southamptontcticasvista.png

ademlsongeralatributos.png

etiennecapouegeralatrib.png

jorgealarcngeralatribut.png

adryangeralatributos.png

Sorry about all this screenshots, if there's any problem with them, tell me so i can change/remove them. And if any of you want to take a look at any other player, just tell me. I'm off to the transfer market ^^

I thought Southampton would be a good secondary game as the facilities are in place with a good youth section, so I started a game. Focus on sneaking staying up and progressing youth.

I signed

M.Bennett 1m

Hughes 4m

A Campbell 2m

Out

Puncheon 3m

Richardson 1.5m

Prado 1m

Chaplow 1.6m

First team was very young in places, I went with

GK Boruc

RB Clyne

CB Hooiveld

CB Fonte

LB Shaw

CM Scheinderlain

CM Lallana

LM Hughes

RM Chambers (the young winger in the U18's

ST Bennett

ST Campbell

With such a young side the goal was just to stay up if we could. And we did, fairly nicely in the end in 16th 7 points clear. And progressed some players nicely for next season. I'll be looking for some centre backs and shift out some deadwood but I am happy with the state of the rest of the team considering how young they are. Now to avoid second season syndrome, with the youngsters progreessing well, fingers crossed we will be okay. I got a nice new contact too and mainly some of the youth intake were good. However this guy is an absolute beast for his age.

vaughan.png

I know he has a lot to work on mentally but he has the foundations to be a ridiculous beast. He will be my 3rd striker purely to help him progress. He scored on debut against Norwich once Bennett picked up an injury. I would say he is the best youth intake player I have had on any FM.

Hi guys, Started with Saints cos i like the Asymetric formation and they're players suit it, Bought Wellington Nem, And looking for Young English talent aswell as having Shaw and Prowse, trying to sign Will Hughes, Any others?

Adam Campbell, Ross Barkley, Nick Powell.

I thought Southampton would be a good secondary game as the facilities are in place with a good youth section, so I started a game. Focus on sneaking staying up and progressing youth.

I signed

M.Bennett 1m

Hughes 4m

A Campbell 2m

Out

Puncheon 3m

Richardson 1.5m

Prado 1m

Chaplow 1.6m

First team was very young in places, I went with

GK Boruc

RB Clyne

CB Hooiveld

CB Fonte

LB Shaw

CM Scheinderlain

CM Lallana

LM Hughes

RM Chambers (the young winger in the U18's

ST Bennett

ST Campbell

With such a young side the goal was just to stay up if we could. And we did, fairly nicely in the end in 16th 7 points clear. And progressed some players nicely for next season. I'll be looking for some centre backs and shift out some deadwood but I am happy with the state of the rest of the team considering how young they are. Now to avoid second season syndrome, with the youngsters progreessing well, fingers crossed we will be okay. I got a nice new contact too and mainly some of the youth intake were good. However this guy is an absolute beast for his age.

vaughan.png

I know he has a lot to work on mentally but he has the foundations to be a ridiculous beast. He will be my 3rd striker purely to help him progress. He scored on debut against Norwich once Bennett picked up an injury. I would say he is the best youth intake player I have had on any FM.

Nice regen, I rarely seem to get decent striker regens, mainly full backs and DMCs. Have a young target man though who I am hoping is the Lambert replacement.

Just in September in 2nd season. First season finished 4th and went on a 22 game unbeaten run! Won FA Cup 6-0 in the final against City! Admeilson scored 5! Playing a flat 4-4-2 OR a 4-2-3-1. Not thrashing teams week in week out but grinding out results. Just beat Schalke 3-1 away in first Champs League game and am top of the Prem after 5 or 6 games. Only dropping 2 points so far with a 2-2 draw away at Swansea. When the formations both get to 100% familiarity i expect the team to come into its element.

Preferred starting XI:

Ospina

Clyne - Burdisso - Kirchoff - Shaw

Nainggolan - Wayanama

Zaha ----------------- Ramirez

P Cisse - Ademilson

Subs: Butland, Wellington Nem, Scheinderlain, Eikrem, C Clark, Okore, Kweuke

Others in squad: Lambert, Cork, Masiela, Lallana, Fonte, Adyran, Ward-Prowse

Been a while since i updated my Southampton career info. Just some thoughts I have to share with you.

Well, I'm into August 2016, beginning of the 5th season. What should i say? Despite not having a career full of trophies I can say that this has been the save I've enjoyed the most since i play FM (actually, since CM 99/00). I've won a lot in the past but never compared to this level of awesomeness! Southampton rules!

I usually gather with my friends at Fridays and weekends and when we don't feel like going out (rain sucks a lot --' ) we just stay by in our group basement, smoke some joints, enjoy some cold beer and play FM like maniacs. They can't understand how can I be so patient to start a save with an unknown team (I'm from Portugal, no one gives a **** about this kind of teams, just the big ones like Man Utd, Chelsea, Tottenham, etc). They can't understand how can I enjoy playing FM when I'm into the 5th season and still haven't won the league.

However, all of them are jealous of the kids I have in my team, the 17/18 yo kids who now are (almost) top class. When they check my Adryan, Ademilson, Shaw, etc, etc and then compare to their attributes in their saves, I see their eyes crying tears of jealousy! They call me lucker, they accused me of using GenieScout (i refuse to use GenieScout) and then they say I'm a noob for not winning anything with these players. Well, maybe I'm not a great tactician, I'm not Mourinho, but damn i feel proud when i see the players i developed. And that, is what brings me the most enjoyment. Titles will come! Soon! Very soon! Nevermind, they are already here! :D

Quick update:

1st season - 11th place

2nd season - 12nd place

3rd season - 5th place (reached the Semi-finals of the FA cup)

4th season - 6th place and Europa League winner

5th season - starting it, just won European Super Cup against Dortmund (5-1)

This is the tactic I've used in the 2nd season and decided to bring back on the 4th. Guess it is the one which I can get the most from my players.

1j9bhh.png

Since my last post here, hadn't got any discussion (not complaining about it) I won't post any screenshot of players, so that the post won't be super-long. If you would like to see anyone just tell me, I'll be delighted to show you!

As you can see, I'm super happy so pardon me for all this excitement!

Good luck on your saves, lads! Be patient, the rewards will be worth it!

Been a while since i updated my Southampton career info. Just some thoughts I have to share with you.

Well, I'm into August 2016, beginning of the 5th season. What should i say? Despite not having a career full of trophies I can say that this has been the save I've enjoyed the most since i play FM (actually, since CM 99/00). I've won a lot in the past but never compared to this level of awesomeness! Southampton rules!

I usually gather with my friends at Fridays and weekends and when we don't feel like going out (rain sucks a lot --' ) we just stay by in our group basement, smoke some joints, enjoy some cold beer and play FM like maniacs. They can't understand how can I be so patient to start a save with an unknown team (I'm from Portugal, no one gives a **** about this kind of teams, just the big ones like Man Utd, Chelsea, Tottenham, etc). They can't understand how can I enjoy playing FM when I'm into the 5th season and still haven't won the league.

However, all of them are jealous of the kids I have in my team, the 17/18 yo kids who now are (almost) top class. When they check my Adryan, Ademilson, Shaw, etc, etc and then compare to their attributes in their saves, I see their eyes crying tears of jealousy! They call me lucker, they accused me of using GenieScout (i refuse to use GenieScout) and then they say I'm a noob for not winning anything with these players. Well, maybe I'm not a great tactician, I'm not Mourinho, but damn i feel proud when i see the players i developed. And that, is what brings me the most enjoyment. Titles will come! Soon! Very soon! Nevermind, they are already here! :D

Quick update:

1st season - 11th place

2nd season - 12nd place

3rd season - 5th place (reached the Semi-finals of the FA cup)

4th season - 6th place and Europa League winner

5th season - starting it, just won European Super Cup against Dortmund (5-1)

This is the tactic I've used in the 2nd season and decided to bring back on the 4th. Guess it is the one which I can get the most from my players.

1j9bhh.png

Since my last post here, hadn't got any discussion (not complaining about it) I won't post any screenshot of players, so that the post won't be super-long. If you would like to see anyone just tell me, I'll be delighted to show you!

As you can see, I'm super happy so pardon me for all this excitement!

Good luck on your saves, lads! Be patient, the rewards will be worth it!

I'd love to see screenshots of your promising players if you get chance to put them up. Adryan, Shaw, Ward-Prowse etc.

Second season, and major investments in all parts of the squad. After coming 15th in the first season, fighting relegation all the way, I'm now looking to be pushing for upper-table in this season. And a good cup-run in the league-cup would be great.

OUT:

Boruc

Gazzaniga

Richardson

Fox

Schneiderlin (minimum release clause)

De Ridder

Puncheon

IN:

Hilario

Butland

Coleman

Forren

Haïdara

Taïder

Wolff Eikrem

+ youths u16

Quite happy with the first batch of youth coming through the club as well, but Man. United snatched three of my 4.5 star potential players throughout the summer. One right back, one left winger and one striker. Not happy with Fergie now.

Through the same youth intake I have a five star right back, and a four star keeper, proving that Southampton is an excellent talent factory.

Reaching november in 3 days. Only victories till now. 1st on league, 1st on Europa League group, knocked out City in Capital Cup.

This season is vital on the team's ambition. Chose Champions League qualification as the objective but i really want to be champion and i believe I have the team to do it.

Well, here come the screenshots. I'll just leave the links, otherwise it would be a wall of images.

Martin Chaloupka - my DoF discovered him on Viktoria Plzen and bought him for 1.7 millions. I'm really happy with his development. Btw, what position do you think he should play? Last season he played mostly MC because it was needed and mostly because the striker position was really strong. This season, due to the injuries of Ademilson and my boy Adrian Smith, he has played a few games and he really played good.

Luke Shaw - I know he is good, but he hasn't reached what I think it's his full potential. Due to the tactic i use, he plays a defensive role and does a good job. I still think he has a lot to improve and i really hope that happens.

James Ward-Prowse - I basically put all my chips on him last season. He wasn't ready to be a first-team player and I basically had to change my tactic and adapt it to suit him. He did good. But this season ... Beast.

Erik Lamela - when I bought him, i was kinda meh... I knew he had potential but seeing him listed for transfer by the club and by his request in all the previous saves I played, I thought it would be risky to buy such a player. Something must be wrong with him. Well, I had the wrong idea. 14.5 million for this player was a bargain. I play him in the AML role and I just have to improve his crossing rating and he'll become the player I want him to be.

Adryan - seeing his initial attributes and now checking him. makes all the time spent on improving his training schedule worth it. I think he has already reached his full potential and to be honest I thought he could improve even more. Still has the capacity to be a first team player.

Ademilson - into my 5th season and this guy basically grabbed the team, put them on his back and carried on. He is fast, he is accurate and what i appreciate the most is his capacity of never giving up on the ball. always pressing, grabbing lots of goals from defender's and keeper's mistakes. reminds me of the IRL Liedson (former Sporting Clube de Portugal player, atm on Porto). 147 games, 115 goals.

Adrian Smith - best for last. Came from the 12/13 youth intake and I'm really lucky to have him. At that time, I thought I had the DoF offering contracts to the youth intake, but i was wrong. He actually became a free player, after getting released from the club. I had to get him back! He just started playing regularly last season despite having identical attributes as Ademilson, but at that moment, the brazilian was clearly the star of the club. The kid had no chance of playing. This season, Ademilson got injured for 3 months in the game against Brighton, right before the European Super Cup against Dortmund. Guess who entered the pitch? Yeah, my boy Adrian Smith, turned a 0-0 game into a 4-0, scoring a poker after coming of the bench. European Super Cup? Easy piece! Hat-trick! I'm sorry for Ademilson since he is already a club icon, soon turning into legend, but this guy is gonna bench him.

Second season, and major investments in all parts of the squad. After coming 15th in the first season, fighting relegation all the way, I'm now looking to be pushing for upper-table in this season. And a good cup-run in the league-cup would be great.

OUT:

Boruc

Gazzaniga

Richardson

Fox

Schneiderlin (minimum release clause)

De Ridder

Puncheon

IN:

Hilario

Butland

Coleman

Forren

Haïdara

Taïder

Wolff Eikrem

+ youths u16

Quite happy with the first batch of youth coming through the club as well, but Man. United snatched three of my 4.5 star potential players throughout the summer. One right back, one left winger and one striker. Not happy with Fergie now.

Through the same youth intake I have a five star right back, and a four star keeper, proving that Southampton is an excellent talent factory.

Wow! Great batch! The maximum i had was something like one 5* and one 4,5* . Too bad, United got your youngsters. Hope you'll learn from that as i did! Maximum attention to the U-18 contracts

Archived