FM13: Southampton F.C. - Reasons to be cheerful - Part 3!

Matthew Le God

The problem I've got at the moment with Cork at the moment is his agents extortionate demands, he wants 50k per week! It seems a load of the players agents dislike me in the third season. Regarding the new patch, I've had

no issues at the moment with match performances, I'm sure I read that it's save game compatible and sorts out the tax issues, if this is the case then thank god as I spend little on new players relying on youth and new gen's so

it'd be nice to know that my earning aren't just evaporating via tax.

Also Cork's doing well for me, at present at RB but I've a few good young RB's coming through at the moment so I might move him back to the midfield next season.

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would definitely use Lambert as a 'Complete Forward' as I think he has the attributes for that. Clyne and Fox I'd set to 'Support' rather than 'Attack' and 'Defend'. I like to have similar roles for my wingers so I think both Lallana and Puncheon will be inside forwards. Puncheon will 'Cut inside' and Lallana will 'Move into channels'. Ramirez will be either 'Trequartista' or 'Attacking Midfielder - Attack'.

Definitely concerned about the fact that people are finishing 5th and having Rodriguez score around 20 goals. :p

Just starting my career save as Southampton. I think I've nailed down my formations, roles, and most of who I will be using. I have encountered one selection dilemma however, and that is at DC. I have two experienced players in Fonte and Hooiveld (sp.), and a good young player in Yoshida who appears to only have the potential to be about as good as these two, but tends to work better into my side when paired up with one of the others.

Out of these three, which two would you guys recommend putting together as my absolute best two to start in my first team? Or maybe I should sign somebody?

Just starting my career save as Southampton. I think I've nailed down my formations, roles, and most of who I will be using. I have encountered one selection dilemma however, and that is at DC. I have two experienced players in Fonte and Hooiveld (sp.), and a good young player in Yoshida who appears to only have the potential to be about as good as these two, but tends to work better into my side when paired up with one of the others.

Out of these three, which two would you guys recommend putting together as my absolute best two to start in my first team? Or maybe I should sign somebody?

I think you'd be mad not to look at the CB's and not want to buy anyone.. weakest part of the team for me, and only Fonte is good enough.

I think you'd be mad not to look at the CB's and not want to buy anyone.. weakest part of the team for me, and only Fonte is good enough.

Unusual, seeing that Yoshida and Hooiveld are performing adequately, while Fonte isn't for me. But, yeah, I need someone to replace my older guys who is solid.

Only one of those I have managed to perform have been Yoshida, even tho he's stats are far weaker then the others. I ended up buying Stefan Strandberg for the first team and Dória for the future. Dória have a small minimum release clause, but due to he's age you won't get him before new years.

Another youngster you can get quite cheaply is Adryan, also with a small minimum release clause. He is a very promising AM, good enough to step in for Ramirez now and then.

In the LB department i tried out Masilela this save, and performed quite well for me. You get him very very cheap, and good enough for a few seasons.

Only one of those I have managed to perform have been Yoshida, even tho he's stats are far weaker then the others. I ended up buying Stefan Strandberg for the first team and Dória for the future. Dória have a small minimum release clause, but due to he's age you won't get him before new years.

Another youngster you can get quite cheaply is Adryan, also with a small minimum release clause. He is a very promising AM, good enough to step in for Ramirez now and then.

In the LB department i tried out Masilela this save, and performed quite well for me. You get him very very cheap, and good enough for a few seasons.

I agree with Yoshida, he stood out for me in the first season, my end of year training report after the first year said he improved remarkably.

I agree with Adryan, hes quality, I just didn't buy him because in my efforts to roleplay I didn't think it was realistic to buy him

But why would you buy a left back... are you not planning to give Shaw as much game time as possible? I found Fox to be adequate enough for a season, after which I want to integrate Shaw into my team.

well im languishing in 18th place with six league games to go 4 points behind qpr. tried 4231 442 and will probably see the season out with 4312 gk baruc lb shaw cb fonte and hooidveld rb clyne cma bwm wanyama cms cork am ramirez tm lambert p rodriguez .won 7 league games all season and shipping in too many goals

Hey, I got relegated too. I deserved it. Spent my money on Butland instead of someone I really needed in defense because I was pissed at Boruc for having 20 Eccentricity and completely screwing my team's performances up.

Lambert was awful, Mayuka was awful, Lallana was awful, Fonte was awful, and Ramirez most of all, despite scoring the goal of the season, was, in fact, awful, and the list goes on.

Bought a bunch of regens and also Dyer to give me a good AMR, something I was lacking. I'm also selling Fonte and Hooiveld and getting a decent defense. My budget is 15 million pounds, more than I thought I could get.

I'm sticking with it, you should too. The team has so much potential to fill.

But why would you buy a left back... are you not planning to give Shaw as much game time as possible? I found Fox to be adequate enough for a season, after which I want to integrate Shaw into my team.

Shaw started out with terrible stats for me, so to rely on him and Fox seemed like a suicide. Normally I would borrow a LB but when I checked Masilela out he proved to be better then Fox and a ok tutor (15 det).

Fonte was good enough for me for the first season, I then bought Kirchhoff second season who has been an absolute beast. I bought Okore first season next to Fonte and they were both pretty solid. I got both Doria and Adryan and both were decent, Doria was a first team regular for 3 seasons but he's been replaced by a home grown newgen, Adryan never really got going in my team I couldn't find a spot for him after Ward-Prowse developed.

Shaw isn't good enough for a first team regular until about season 3/4. Once he got a decent run though he has become on of the best fullbacks in the game for me. Both him and Ward-Prowse are world class in my game so I must have got lucky.

Are into season 3 now and even tho Shaw started with so bad stats, he is turning into a really good LB.

15 pace and acc, 15 stam, 17 det, 14 crossing, 15 dribling and 15 tech. So with abit focus on he's defensive stats he can turn out as one of the better LB's.

Are into season 3 now and even tho Shaw started with so bad stats, he is turning into a really good LB.

15 pace and acc, 15 stam, 17 det, 14 crossing, 15 dribling and 15 tech. So with abit focus on he's defensive stats he can turn out as one of the better LB's.

he'll get better, think for me he is 17 pace/acceleration, 18, Stamina, 19 Crossing, 18 Dribbling, 18 technique.

he'll get better, think for me he is 17 pace/acceleration, 18, Stamina, 19 Crossing, 18 Dribbling, 18 technique.

Jesus...that good? Any chance of a screenie? I'm managing Barnsley and have had my eye on him since the start of the second season in the Premiership.

Just had my worst season yet, finished 12th in the leagues, lost 5-1 to QPR in the FA Cup 4th round, lost in the Capital One Cup to some team, and got knocked out of the Europa League by Twente thanks to a 93rd minute own goal by Davide Santon. Would have gone through on away goals if he hadn't done that.

On the plus side, Stevan Jovetic had an incredible debut season and scored 21 goals.

WOW, if them two arnt encourtagement to play as the saints i dont know what is.

As a fan, i think that with the 5m, (if you sell Hooiveld, Fonte, Chaplow + others) possibly up to 14m, as i had, you can buy a complete new defense who will get you to about 10-14th. I got Ashley Williams at 4.5m and Ciaran Clark for 3.5m, Masilela 650k. All good players, this season it is clear thats where we need to improve, and there are some good deals out there. Especially not to get relegated!

WOW, if them two arnt encourtagement to play as the saints i dont know what is.

Remember they have variable PA though and I think I got pretty lucky.

Top youth facilities though is another reason to choose Saints as well when it produces newgens like this, (from first intake as well)

10cqczn.png

I will be updating this thread with a big update as I'm pretty much the Barcelona of England once I finsih my current seaspn, if you notice all 3 of those players are only 4 1/2 star rated and I have a couple of bought newgens who are simply awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Blimey, a stark contrast to my save where they won the league in the first season. :lol:

I've struggled for consistency this season but I'm sat 8th, trying to make up the 4 point gap to 6th with 9 games to go!

Only big bits of business this season were the signing of Ryan Shawcross from Chelsea for £14.5m, and the sale of Davide Santon for £18m, so I have a strong enough team to challenge for top 4.

Jovetic is out with a torn hamstring though. :( So my first choice team is:

Steele

Clyne - Shawcross - Clark - Shaw

Cork - Schneiderlin

Lallana ----------------- Ramirez

Forestieri - Rodriguez

Subs: Gazzaniga, Kjaer, Yoshida, Ward-Prowse, Chambers, Lambert, Lolli ®

Lolli is an Italian regen who Nicola Cortese signed for me in season 2, and he's described as a wonderkid. Pleased that Shaw's stepped up with the departure of Santon, and his attributes have progressed nicely, definitely gonna be an international soon.

Finished 8th in my first season, getting Europa football. Disappointing, if it wasnt for 2 critically bad runs I could have got a CL spot.

Once again I am yet to find any sort of consistency in this years game.

Strengthened the team this year with experienced players such as Taylor, Fletcher, Eduardo and Pienaar. Zaha and Kweuke also came in.

So I am somewhat surprised to find myself 20th, 5 points from 8 games. Scored 7, condeded 13.

I adopted the 5-2-1-2 that proved successful at the end of the first season but am really struggling.

southamptonx.png

Finished 8th in my first season, getting Europa football. Disappointing, if it wasnt for 2 critically bad runs I could have got a CL spot.

Once again I am yet to find any sort of consistency in this years game.

Strengthened the team this year with experienced players such as Taylor, Fletcher, Eduardo and Pienaar. Zaha and Kweuke also came in.

So I am somewhat surprised to find myself 20th, 5 points from 8 games. Scored 7, condeded 13.

I adopted the 5-2-1-2 that proved successful at the end of the first season but am really struggling.

southamptonx.png

Why is gaston not playing?

Started a Southampton save; have had a few down the years. Started out as a tactical experiment, trying to succeed using a narrow midfield diamond outside the top clubs, and doing better than I expected in all honesty.

Didn't sign anyone to start of with, although I will be looking to strengthen in the January window I've just got to, after being given a sizeable budget to work with after I realigned my seasons expectations.

8292597131_94af8d47ba_b.jpg

8293653640_73e3d4f72b_b.jpg

8293651202_211eebe4c1_b.jpg

Hey guys, half way through season one - going decently well so far.

Am playing mainly a 4231, with gaston in the AM spot, and usually Lallana and Wellington Ben on the wings.

My main prob is I really struggle to get Lambert and JRod scoring consistently - lambert has 9 by feb, 2 of which are penalties and 2/3 headers from corners (he's also missed a further 3 pens!) while Rodrigues has 5 goals. I play them up top alone usually, lambert as a TM(A) and JRod as a AF. Any hints guys? Maybe show me your tactical set ups?

While i was manager at another club, i saw that at the second season Southampton had been relegated to championship and i thought it was a nice challenge so i made the switch and continued there.

The club hasn't sold any of the premier league players so it is superior and i have 5 wins and 1 defeat so far.

My tactic formation so far is

b1d7a563848748fb86911b0.png

I think it would be good enough for premier league football next season but i think i must buy better centre backs and better bench players. Long term i should find someone to replace aging Lambert who has 8 goals in the 6 games i am at the saints

Just finished 4th in second season! Great loseless run of 15 games at the end!

Adryan is a beast. Fierro, Ademilson and Murillo have 60 goals between them as I rotate them for that single striker position.

Wellington Nem is tearing up the left wing, Zaha bombing down the right.

Defence is useless and concedes tons.

Started a new save as I was a bit bored with success in my last one after 10 seasons.

Got around £16 million in player sales (guly, puncheon, de ridder, fox etc.) bought Astori as he's a real life saints target to play at the back (he was also transfer listed) got Wellington Nem and Butland as well.

Playing a simple 4-4-2 with Lambert up front with Gaston (re-training as a striker) seems to ge the best out of Lambert who has 7 in 6 prem games (+ 3 in the cup) and I have won 5 of the first 6 including home wins against Chelsea and Man Utd.

Also boosted Shaw's CA in the editor so I could play him as first choice left back like he is IRL.

Do you guys have any tips for getting the best out of Gaston Ramirez, I have signed him on my Villa save after Southampton went down, and even though his stats are superb he has been poor for me, I can't seem to fit him into my team?

In the above game I have re-trained him as a striker (think he starts accomplished anyway) and played him up front as a treq next to Lambert seems to suit him. First game I struggled first season to get the best out of him but he started to shine as an AMC playing in the hole. He's a bit off an all-rounder stats wise and he has good PA so it's about moulding him into a role.

Into December 2014 and I am top of the table by 6 points! Only dropped 5 points so far!

Qualified top of the Champions League Group Stage. Lost my first game 7-3 to Bayern but won the next 5. Group also included PSG and FC Kopenhagen!

Its all very lush at the moment, Akinfeev is coming in January to take over from Boruc, the other two will provide a bit of competition as I will look to offload Boruc.

Pogba was a great free signing, put in some good displays. Will look to cash in on him eventually though.

Wary that in a season or so I will need to break the bank to keep some of these players.

Murillo, Nem, Ginter and Kirchhoff are all already demanding 80k+ contracts. Luckily I have them all tied down for 2-5 seasons. Chelsea are rumoured to be thinking of using Nems buy out clause (35m). I hope they dont. If they do I will try to sign Bernard.

Steven Taylor turned out to be a horror buy. Thought he would be great backup, fairly costly at 11m. Plays absolutely shockingly. Constant mistakes. Also my highest earner on 70k. Played about 10 games in 1 and a half years. Will offload ASAP

southampton1.png

What a period too!! Really congested fixtures against masses of quality. Really happy with how it went. Shame about the West Brom result but I practically fielded my under 18s!

southampton2.png

Into December 2014 and I am top of the table by 6 points! Only dropped 5 points so far!

Qualified top of the Champions League Group Stage. Lost my first game 7-3 to Bayern but won the next 5. Group also included PSG and FC Kopenhagen!

Its all very lush at the moment, Akinfeev is coming in January to take over from Boruc, the other two will provide a bit of competition as I will look to offload Boruc.

Pogba was a great free signing, put in some good displays. Will look to cash in on him eventually though.

Wary that in a season or so I will need to break the bank to keep some of these players.

Murillo, Nem, Ginter and Kirchhoff are all already demanding 80k+ contracts. Luckily I have them all tied down for 2-5 seasons. Chelsea are rumoured to be thinking of using Nems buy out clause (35m). I hope they dont. If they do I will try to sign Bernard.

Steven Taylor turned out to be a horror buy. Thought he would be great backup, fairly costly at 11m. Plays absolutely shockingly. Constant mistakes. Also my highest earner on 70k. Played about 10 games in 1 and a half years. Will offload ASAP

southampton1.png

What a period too!! Really congested fixtures against masses of quality. Really happy with how it went. Shame about the West Brom result but I practically fielded my under 18s!

southampton2.png

Any chance of a screenie of Zaha?

Ive just done the double. League and FA Cup. Got Barcelona in the final of the CL to come now. Team is hobbling along in terms of fitness and general availability. Since winning the prem 4 or so games ago I have been fielding mainly youngsters to get some game time or some out of favour players.

Zaha has been great. His runs are brilliant however he would get so many more goals if he could shoot.

Attribute wise he has barely increased. 18 Pace and Acceleration, 17 Dribbling. 15 Flair. Passing 9 Finishing 10, First Touch 10, Composure 10.

http://puu.sh/1L4El

Here is the tactic. DLP is set as a playmaker.

http://puu.sh/1L4GF

Cheers matt. Will give it a go with my soton team. Im in my first season. Currently 6th at xmas. Seem to have soooooooo many shots but can finish. Other teams have less than 10 shots, even fewer still on target but still end up winning!!

Cheers matt. Will give it a go with my soton team. Im in my first season. Currently 6th at xmas. Seem to have soooooooo many shots but can finish. Other teams have less than 10 shots, even fewer still on target but still end up winning!!

I'm the other way round, seem to be mugging a lot of teams of despite having fairly equal match stats in terms of shots and possession. I do still get the odd 'hit the woodwork an incredible 5 times' game, has happened 3 times now.

Somehow though I am top in the first season (just into January). Just got given an extra £21 million transfer budget and got Kirchhoff in to improve my already solid defence. Have a back 5 of Boruc, Shaw, Astori, Kirchoff, Clyne that is easily the ebst defense in the league. not scoring a hatful, only about 1.6 goals a game but I'm conceding less than 0.5.

Lambert is top scorer, then Ademilson and Ramirez are chipping in with a few as the other striker.

Only two defeats in the league so far, both away to midtable teams. I am so far unbeaten at hom and unbeaten against Chelsea, Man City, Utd and Arsenal. Even just beat Utd 4-1 at Old Trafford ins the League Cup semi-final and Chelsea 3-2 in the league at the Bridge with Astori scoring a hatrick from set pieces!

Wow sounds like you're doing great. If i was top i wouldnt care how i was winning just as long as i was! Im not doing too bad. I need to scout Astori and Kirchoff as i see their names mentioned alot on here.

What formation and team instructions you using? Any chance of a screen shot(s)?

Wow sounds like you're doing great. If i was top i wouldnt care how i was winning just as long as i was! Im not doing too bad. I need to scout Astori and Kirchoff as i see their names mentioned alot on here.

What formation and team instructions you using? Any chance of a screen shot(s)?

Also if your centre back got a hat-trick - lets hear your set piece instructions too!

Playing a flat 4-4-2, counter, balanced, short passing made using the TC. Past games have shown me Lambert doesn't work up front on his own so I have him as a Target Man set to support and partner him with either Gaston (re-trained as striker, Treq/Attack) or Ademilson (poacher/attack). Then have Wellington Nem (ML) and Lallana (MR) as wingers on attack, Morgan (MCL) as DLP on support, Cork (MCR) as a BWM on defend. At the back Shaw (DL) and Clyne (DR) as full backs on auto, then Astori (DCL) as BPD and Kirchoff (previously Fonte) (DCR) as a normal centre back on defend. Don't think I have changed any of the individual settings.

Set Pieces are just default.

I just seemed to start well and have got on a bit of a roll so morale is high across the board. Also had a bit of luck, Astori's hat trick, I've had few injuries and Ramirez and Lamber have both hit 35 yard direct free kicks.

Just to add on my last post regarding my tactic.

Possession is usually 50/50 or there abouts. The back 7 are happy to pass it around but as soon as one of the more forward thinking players gets the ball.. Charge! (Every now and then fullbacks will go on long mazy runs)

Lots of misses, although that is partially down to players like Zaha/Redmond/Clyne/Ademilson.

Ademilson hasnt been successful for me. Neymar or Rodrigo are the type of player you want for the T role. My regen (who ive just sold for 45m to Madrid) relied on his speed and ability on the ball to come need and run the ball 30 yards before shooting. Ademilson doesnt fit this role for me (hasnt developed well) so I will have to be on the lookout for a new striker.

Ginter And Kirchoff are beasts for me (combined value of just under 50m). Bagged about 15/20 goals between them from corners in the title winning season. Love these two, absolutely recommend.

Archived