Sports Interactive Community
Matthew Le God

FM13: Southampton F.C. - Reasons to be cheerful - Part 3!

Will be interesting to see how the new training sytem will affect the youngsters coming through.

Haven't had time to really look at it to be honest.

Can you tell your young players to focus on physical attributes?

Sorry if it seems like i'm going off track for the Soton thread - i'm interested as i'll probably start with them on Beta, and with the top class youth system (and current batch of youngsters) it's something worth looking at.

Will be interesting to see how the new training sytem will affect the youngsters coming through.

Haven't had time to really look at it to be honest.

Can you tell your young players to focus on physical attributes?

Sorry if it seems like i'm going off track for the Soton thread - i'm interested as i'll probably start with them on Beta, and with the top class youth system (and current batch of youngsters) it's something worth looking at.

Slightly relevant because it will be key for a Saints save how the youth develop because it looks like there biggest asset. From the screenshots he posted there are six players in the squad who are 4 - 4 & 1/2 star potential players (Clyne, Mayuka, Ramirez, Schneiderlin, Shaw, Ward-Prowse as well as Lallana at 24 who can develop more and Sinclair who isn't listed) so more than half the team potentially top premiership players.

ANyone know if the Saint's youth facilities, training etc. are maxed out or can you request improvements.

Won't agree about Saints being overrated.. yet. Will see how they do in the first season in my save as Bristol City, and if they finish ridiculously high, i'll be back ;)

Completed "The Saviour Cometh" challenge as my first run round of the game.

I may do a more detailed post with screen shots and the like later but my brief thoughts are below. As it was a challenge this is all FMC.

Used three formations over the half-season:

4-1-2-2-1 was my main formation with Spiderman as a deep lying playmaker, Cork and Davis as the central midfield (Davis as an advanced playmaker), a combination of Lallana, Puncheon and Ramierz on the wings and Lambert as a lone frontman.

Used a 4-4-2 diamond a few times; Ramirez went to the tip and Cork sometimes ended up as one of the wide midfielders while Rodriguez partnered Lambert.

And for at least a couple of games I switched to a 4-1-2-3 with Lambert, Rodriguez and (a slightly out of position) Ramirez as the three strikers... Rodriguez and Ramirez being almost psuedo-wingers.

In the end I survived with a game in hand and was generally comfortable. Only lost twice (to Everton and Man City) but had far more draws then I'd have liked. We were generally hard to beat by struggled to score that many ourselves; the polar opposite of how we are at the moment in real life. I didn't make any transfers in and the players I got rid of were far from the first team.

Thoughts on players:

Boruc was a star most of the time. In several games he ended up with a rating in the 8's or the 9's and seemed impossible to get past. Every so often he'd have a howler but looks to be very solid.

Clyne and Fox both performed well. Much like real life Fox seemed to hoof it when given a chance but Clyne ran the byline well (although he often seemed to forget to cross the ball at the end). Defensively neither were great, running parallel rather than closing off an attacking player... but considering that the defending of fullbacks seems weak across the board I can forgive that.

My main central defenders were Hooiveld as a limited defender and Yoshida as a ball-playing defender. Both scored the odd header and were competent enough in defence. When Fonte was called upon he seemed up to the job as well.

I never really seemed to get my central three to work. The centre is so flooded by the A.I. that it's damn hard to do anything through it anyway but on the whole the only contribution Spiderman, Cork and Davis seemed to make to a game was watching their match fitness go down. There was nothing shocking from them... but nothing particularly impressive either. Of all people Chaplow seemed the best, coming on as an impact sub with box-to-box and having a useful habit of picking up goals off the back of rebounds/spilt shots. Compared to his performances so far this season in real life Ward-Prowse seems a little underpowered and rarely featured for me.

On the wings the star was Puncheon. Partly this was because of how seemingly over-powered crosses are and the fact I kept him as a traditional winger while I experimented more with Lallana and Ramirez as inside forwards (especially Lallana who has pretty poor crossing stats). Lallana and Ramirez themselves were both good enough, picking up a number of goals and assists but never really stood out... and both (especially as inside forwards) had the annoying habit of running to the corner flag before cutting inside, dribbling along the line and then shooting on an impossibly narrow angle rather than pass or cross.

Lambert was solid but little more. I think I got about 8 goals out of him (and one hat trick) but he had a tendency to be anonymous; there were a couple of games I went through without seeing him. Pace is still key in the game so he struggled when having to run onto balls but the power of crosses meant that he was effective if the ball was knocked into him.

Couldn't do a thing with Rodriguez. Played as a lone striker nothing happened. Played as part of a two man strike force... nothing happened. Played as an inside forward on the wings... nothing happened. Played as part of a three man strike force... eventually got a goal but that's it.

Managed to avoid any real long term injuries to first team players so rarely used the likes of Guly, Lee, Mayuka (who was at the ACoN for a fair amount of time), Richardson et al. A couple were annoyed about a lack of first team football but as I was only doing the challenge I wasn't that concerned about long-term effects and so ignored them. Seaborne was drafted in as a left-back a few times when other replacements were injured; was competent enough defensively if a non-entity in attack.

Overall thoughts?

Gameplay wise crosses are overpowered. With the exception of Clyne who could seemingly never get one away I very rarely saw them blocked and keepers normally made no effort to claim them. In addition long shots seem to actually be a realistic option this time... not so much for actually scoring but in my experience they were either parried or came off the post/bar more than ever previously meaning that there's going to be more tap in chances. That said with the default highlights now only showing clear-cut chances it could be there were dozens of long shots going nowhere near which I just didn't see.

I never felt that I ever quite got the best out of the team over the half-season despite some good results. I'm sure there's more I could do with the central midfield as all three of the players I use there have pretty damn solid stats. Every A.I team seems to flood the midfield which may explain why they did so little... but even so. On the wings I think with the current power of crosses it's generally going to be better to have wingers than inside forwards which is fairly bad news for Lallana there (average pace/acceleration and low... for this level... crossing) and seems to be a waste of Ramirez. That said with only Puncheon and the de Ridder being anything like a "classic" winger Ramirez may simply have to do the job. There's also got to be more to come from the strikers; Lambert never seemed to able to draw team mates into the game and I refuse to accept that Rodriguez is as bad a player as he was for me.

Defensively I was fairly happy with the fairly basic zonal system that I'd set up. I couldn't really deal with crosses... but then no-one, A.I. or human... seems to be able to, meaning there were a lot of free headers and shots at the back post but Boruc kept me in a huge number of games and much like the infamous super-goalies in 1 v 1 situations a few years back it seems there's a system induced inaccuracy for some players in those circumstances.

Overall a mild-success. Taking the results I had and putting them over a season I think I'd have been comfortably mid-table (although it should be noted how tight it was... during the course of a match I could watch us go from 17th to 13th and back again fairly regularly) and with some of my own additions I think the squad can easily be strengthened. With only around 4/5 million to spend you have to be careful but a quick glance at the areas where I think I might need more depth (left back, a back-up deep lying playmaker and possibly another winger) there are good options for decent money.

Saints look to be a fun team to play with... especially long term considering the relatively young age of the squad. There's quality there... I just have to work out how to use it.

Into about February with my Saints game and currently 5th which I'm really pleased with. Would have probably finished the season by now if i hadn't over a dozen crashes and had to have re-played so many games. :mad:

Started with a 4-1-2-2-1, Boruc in goal, Cox and Clyne fullbacks, Fonte and a Danish prospect CBs, Schneiderlin holding, with Davis and Ramirez just in front then Lallana and Mayuka wide and Lambert up front. However it didn't really work, despite the likes of Schneiderlin and Ramirez getting like 130 passes a game I didn't score enough and was conceding too much from the cross exploits in the ME.

Now playing 4-4-1-1. Similar style to my first formation (short passing, slow tempo, fluid) but it seems more defensively solid having the traditional wingers close to the fullbacks and I'm conceding less cross related goals.

Transfer wise, First Window - I brought in a 19 year old Danish CB (scout found), (can't remember his name) but he's doing ok and has some pace which neither Fonte and Hooiveld have. Brought in another scout found Swedish CM, and finally I bought Wellington Nem, young Brazilian AM/RLC, who was valued at £9 million but had a £3.5 million. He's now a wonderkid and my top assister :D

Second window I brought in another two Brazilian prospects (thoroughly scouted 4 1/1 star potential) for a total of £1.5 (loving those minimum fee release clauses)

Sales wise I have sold Guly do Prado, Tadanari Lee, Kelvin Davis, Chaplow, Richardson and trying to off load a few others.

My young prospects - Shaw, Stevens, Sinclair and Chambers are all out on loan but haven't really increased their stats much so they might have to stay at the club next year. James Ward-Prowse has a had a few first team games but is going on loan to Celtic.

I also changed Jack Cork to a RB and he is averaging 7.10 and moved Clyne to left back (although he can't cross for toffee on his wrong foot) and my biggest revelation has been Jay Rodriguez who spent most of the first half of the season on the bench, but with Rickie underperforming I have given him a go and he has now got 9 in 15 starts! Ramirez is also a lot more happy playing in the AMC role rather than CM and has flourished scoring 6 goals from there since the new year!

Off field wise I got the training ground improved, can't seem to get a feeder club (bug? requested in September but had no response and can't re-request) overhauled the back room staff including Cantona in as DOF (couldn't afford the wages of the good stat ones)

Best performers have been Boruc (get him to sign a new contract) Fonte (surprising) Lallana, Wellington Nem (wingers have the most goals). and then Rodriguez and Ramirez have been awesome since i move their positions. Lambert has probably been the biggest disappointment, his lack of pace hurts him a lot and his 'shoots with power' trait seems to make him miss easy chances or shoot straight at the goal, his low passing also seems to hurt his build up play. Also JWP doesn't have good enough stats to be involved in games that often, certainly wouldn't start him by choice in a PL game like in real life.

I'll post some screen shots later.

Why'd you sell tadanari lee?

Also just interested how they choose the attributes for lee, he was injured most of last season and before that he wasn't in the database.

Can't wait to start my game when the editor is out.

Dunno wether to do it with first window on or off? anyideas. previously I have had it off but they never adjust the budget for january which annoys me.

ahhh fair enough.. i thought i saw someone say it had come out.. oh well, i'm just downloading the game now.

also... have first window on .. but just dont buy anyone.. simple :)

Why'd you sell tadanari lee?

Also just interested how they choose the attributes for lee, he was injured most of last season and before that he wasn't in the database.

Can't wait to start my game when the editor is out.

Dunno wether to do it with first window on or off? anyideas. previously I have had it off but they never adjust the budget for january which annoys me.

Lee didn't really fit in with my initial formation as he can't play wide and other players are better. Ramirez is a more quality AMC and so is Lallana at AMC and then there is JWP who's long time future I think lies at AMC. Then Lambert and Jay Rod are better strikers (and I only play one) so considering he was worth about £3 million I saw him as a good opportunity to raise funds, sold him for about £2 million I think.

You only get £4 million transfer budget which is about fair enough considering IRL Saints were still making offers for defenders around this value on deadline day that didn't come off. I only brought in 3 players for about £6 million after selling about 7 and raising some cash. The first 11 is pretty good though, but a bit defensively weak particularly Fox, Yoshida and Hooiveld. Fonte it just about Premiership quality and Borux is top class.

BTW, the centre back I got in (just found him in the 'Good Centre Backs' thread', although I didn't find him from there)

Name: Jores Okore

Nationality: Ivory Coast (but plays for Denmark)

Club: FC Nordsjaelland

Position: DC

Value: £700k

Sale Value: £1.3 release clause

Work Permit Needed?: No

Makes sence, Only looked over his starts and nothing stands out,

I had a quick game that corrupted, I went to three at the back because of the lack of a decent left back, and what I played it worked well. Apart from left back though, struggled to thinkof players I needed as most of the players where a similar level to each other

EDIT obviously you could always make improvments but I'm emotionally attached to some of the players so its hard to replace them especially when there all of a similar level

Makes sence, Only looked over his starts and nothing stands out,

I had a quick game that corrupted, I went to three at the back because of the lack of a decent left back, and what I played it worked well. Apart from left back though, struggled to thinkof players I needed as most of the players where a similar level to each other

EDIT obviously you could always make improvments but I'm emotionally attached to some of the players so its hard to replace them especially when there all of a similar level

Fox isn't as bad as he has been playing in real life, he just lacks a bit of pace so if you adjust his individual tactics he does ok, had him as a more defensively minded full back not getting as far forward and crossing from deep. Clyne is the more overlapping attacking full back. The first eleven is all pretty good I don't think it would be too difficult to keep the team up without making any signings, you have to watch for injuries though as there isn't much depth.

okore and sandberg make a brilliant defensive duo..

Who's Sandberg? Looking to replace Fonte next season, especially if I have european football! Will need a left back, centre back and striker as priorities. Maybe a big bruising DMC as Schneiderlin is turning more and more into a Xabi Alonso type player DMC.

Oh and I will get round to screenshots if I finally finish the season.

He was in the database before he signed for Southampton, but the J-League data isn't extracted to the retail game due to the lack of license.

Update:

Still 5th with 5 games to go now, although Newcastle have a few games in hand so could overtake me, but my run in is pretty good with only Liverpool in the top half left to play, so hopeful I will be at least 6th (4th is like 12 points away). Also just got to the FA cup final after beating a struggling Leicester side on penalties after drawing 2-2 after extra time.

Just got my first set of regens in as well. Got a 4 and a half star potential DMC, with 18 determination and he's a Saints fan! He's also got fairly decent influence already so could be a future captain, really excited to start getting him some games. Got a 4 star potential DC as well, who at 17 is already rated 2 stars so can go straight into the first team squad. The Academy production line roles on!

Most of my younger first teamers have progressed well, Wellington Nem, Morgan, Okore, Mayuka, Ramirez, Clyne have all seen fairly dramatic attribute increases. JWP has also gone up a fair bit despite not playing much.

Oh and my fans were upset at the sale of Tadanari Lee (and the board has reminded me of this all season) but they were possibly right, he has scored over 30 goals in the championship for Blackburn!

started a saints save after being impressed with the op.

only 4 games into the season with a loss against utd day 1, a win v chelsea and a draw v newcastle. had a win in the capitol one cup too against huddersfield i think.

addressed the defensive weaknesses with james tomkins coiming in from west ham for 4mil ish. could turn out decent and wanted to try and stick to britsh players as opposed to random europeans.

following in this vein neil taylor arrived from swansea to fill the left back role.

will post more info further into the game.

Left Back and Centre back are definitely the weak areas. Although Shaw will be a top left back in the future.

the amount of late winners im having scored against me is unrealistic and infuriating!

Unrealistic?! Sounds about right to me. ;)

the amount of late winners im having scored against me is unrealistic and infuriating!

I know it may seem extreme, but I always create a closing out tactic for the last 10 minutes or so if I'm ahead or if I'm tied and want a draw. My usual tactic is a 4-2-3-1. With my closing out tactic, I set my overall strategy to contain. I then use the shouts pass to feet, work ball into box, and clear ball to the flanks. I play with a back 4 and 2 DMs (2 MCs dropped back) all set to defend. I drop my wingers back to play as ML/MR set to wide midfielder defend. I generally set my AMC to the support AMC role to act as a ball collector and distributor in the middle of the pitch when we gain possession. My striker plays as a defensive forward.

A slightly more offensive version has the two wingers dropping back as support wide midfielders with the AMC being a support AMC and the striker being a poacher. I sometimes use that formation and play a counter attack with the shout work ball into the box to discourage long shot.

If I give up a late goal with a back 6 set to defend with two wide midfielders set to support, well, my players need to hear about it after the match.

thanks for the advice. im playing 4 2 3 1 with the two dms. just need to switch the mentality to a more defensive one.

finished season 1 in 8th place. defeat on the final day saw me drop from 6th.

all in all a decent first season

Manuel Pamic could solve the leftback problem for around £700k?

I played Clyne there and trained Cork into a right back, it's taken a while but he's become a pretty decent right back, although he's only average offensively (11 crossing/dribbling) but got him up to 15/15 pace acceleration and he got into the England squad.

However, I'd recommend getting Shaw some game times, I sent him out on loan first season but he didn't improve much, so I decided this season to keep him around. I bought a 29 year old left back from some french club with decent stats and high determination to tutor him (Shaw) and his stats have shot up, he has 13/14's for most attributes now and I'm in November of the second season. He's played so well that he's keeping his tutor out of the team. So as much game time you can get for him and JWP.

Into my second season, spent £25 million mainly on 'stop gap' players who can tutor the younger ones, something I've never done before but it seems to be working.

Got Mudingayi for £5 million, Jelle Vossen for £5.5 mil, this left back for £6 mil, and my star player so far Jan Kirchhoff for £7.5 million. (average rating of 7.70, my AM regularly points out during games how awesome he is being)

Sold a few players (sadly including an underperforming Rickie Lambert :() and raised about £8 million.

Started the season terribly, lost 3 out of the first 4 (including back to back 4-0 losses to Utd and Arsenal) but up to 4th in a very strange league so far where Man City have about 12 more points than second and the next 6 or 7 teams are about 3 pts apart. Think I was struggling with the ME update, also some confident boosting Europa league wins helped. All my youngsters are progressing well.

BTW, as a tip if you are asking Cortese for something in board requests and he turns you down, don't be afraid to disagree with him, particularly about his ambition as I have asked him for feeder clubs, training ground upgrade and now stadium expansion (only 4k seats mind) and he has approved them all after initially saying no.

second season and with the hefty transfer budget you get i invested some cash.

craig dawson from west from for about 4.5mil and fonte went out for 2.5mil. trying to stick to the domestic player bias. john ruddy came from a relegated norwich as back/competition to boruc. adam smith on loan from spurs offers cover for the fullbacks and for some bizzare reason i took andy carrol on loan from liverpool :(

signed some very good yougsters for the u18 squad.

kind of wish id invested in more quality 1st team mebers now after a horrific start to the season.

was lying in 16th spot after 8 games with 1 win although those games were against utd, city, arsenal, chelsea, liverpool and spurs! players started coming to me saying they were worried about performances so need to get some wins on the board against the teams in the bottom half.

second season and with the hefty transfer budget you get i invested some cash.

craig dawson from west from for about 4.5mil and fonte went out for 2.5mil. trying to stick to the domestic player bias. john ruddy came from a relegated norwich as back/competition to boruc. adam smith on loan from spurs offers cover for the fullbacks and for some bizzare reason i took andy carrol on loan from liverpool :(

signed some very good yougsters for the u18 squad.

kind of wish id invested in more quality 1st team mebers now after a horrific start to the season.

was lying in 16th spot after 8 games with 1 win although those games were against utd, city, arsenal, chelsea, liverpool and spurs! players started coming to me saying they were worried about performances so need to get some wins on the board against the teams in the bottom half.

Tough run of games but keep morale up by praising performances and if needed do a team meeting. Think it'll be a few years before I can compete regularly with most of those teams and I'm using my second season as a consolidation season to blood my youngsters and improve them. Pretty much ever game the media comment on how young my team is. Boruc (33) aside I now currently have a first team who's ages are 18, 19, 23, 22, 22, 29, 21, 25, 22, 24. With most of my back up players being 17 -20, aside from one 29 and one 24 year old!. So I'm thinking my team will hit it's peak years in a couple of seasons.

I'm also hoping that in a few years by not spending too much I will be able to sign a superstar signing.

Update: Just about to hit the new year currently in 2nd but I have had a very easy run of games. Lots of the big teams seem to be very inconsistent, Utd have already lost 7, Chelsea even more. Man City are top but they were like 12 pts clear and now only 4pts.

My youngsters are coming along nicely but Adam Lallana seems to be fading even though he's only 25, Jay Rod has been excellent, 13 goals in 15 league games. Also topped my Europa league group winning 5 out of the 6 games. (Teams were Montpellier, Sparta Prague, and Anzhi Makhachkala( Russian team with Eto'o, Christopher Samba etc.).

Any of you been able to get training camps after first pre-season? I'm in season 4 now and the board have not organized one yet.

Ramirez tears a hamstring 3 days before the start of the season while on international duty. it's going to be a long 3 months.

Is Ryan Seager on the game? He's been banging them in IRL for the Under 18's. If so, what are his stats/potential like?

need to put them in spoiler tags mrsaints....

to do so... encompass them in tags like this:

[spoiler*]writinghere[*/spoiler]

but without the *'s obviously

Oh yeah apologies didn't think.

Starting a save, just now, wondering about tactics

The original 4 3 3 with a holding midfielder as well as a 4 3 3/ 4 5 1 with a attacking midfielder/second striker are getting trained but I find them boring as there basically defaults. I was going to try and come up with a formation thats a bit more exciting.

I was thinking a 4 3 1 2 with 3 cm. Like italy during the euros, a heavily rotating narrow midfield four, all with specific roles. 2 very attacking wing backs and a complete forward and a striker that I might rotate.

Would it work? I have used it previously (on fm12 so bear that in mind) but only when my teams better than most others, could this overachieve? I have never used it as a underdog before and I don't think it will be very stable at the back considering we have a poor defence. I think the only way it would work is if it keeps 60+ possession. I am making a prototype of this formation, what roles should they have, I atm have a am, like machirano or however you spell it, dlp ala pirlo, bwm like rossi but I can't think of the fourth?

I was thinking also of a 3 at the back formation but I think to use it successfully at southampton it would probably be more of a permanent 5 at the back, rather than having the desired extra man in attack, and defence. Any other formation ideas, or tips that will help me with my current ones?

Also any ideas on future permanent roles/positions for players like mayuka, ward prowse, chambers, rodriquez

I am definitely making mayuka a poacher as he is a poor support player, he might even become a super sub as I edited his pace/acceleration not much just 16 for each) ward prowse I don't know whether to have him as a box to box, advanced or deep lying playmaker. I was heading more towards box to box as at the moment he hasn't excelled at anything and I always find it hard to find decent regen box to box midfielders.

Rodriguez I think could become a decent complete forward. apart from creativity he is nearly there already and I believe just making him in to a new lambert is a bit limiting. I am also tring to turn lallana into a trequartista as well as ramirez, though I'm probably wrong in thinking it will work. I think I have misunderstood the point of a trequartista as I basically think of them as a goalscoring playmaker/ second striker, but I think I am wrong

EDIT: Just looking at some good tutors, artur boruc at first glance looks like a great tutor for gazzaniga, also ramirez for ward-prowse or chambers maybe, when he is old enough to tutor?

Am I right in thinking that determination is the main thing to look at for tutoring?

Any of you been able to get training camps after first pre-season? I'm in season 4 now and the board have not organized one yet.

I'm getting sent to Germany every preseason.

I'm getting sent to Germany every preseason.

You have the date you get the news notification from the board?

Wonder if it have something to do with how long i set my pre-season to, I normally pick 7 week pre-season.

im starting a game with the saints :) ...inspired by this awesome thread ..just created a 4-1-4-1 to use for the season hope it works out ..update soon

You have the date you get the news notification from the board?

Wonder if it have something to do with how long i set my pre-season to, I normally pick 7 week pre-season.

Ah, I only pick 5 week preseason.

Alright lads, just fired up a Saints save, am aiming to get a career save out of it!

1st day actions - addressed staff weaknesses (fired most of the physics, all of the fitness coaches and 3 of the worst scouts) have good incoming replacements at contract agreed status. Have left everything else alone partly because I couldn't find anyone decent to bring in but would welcome all suggestions!

Bit of scouting- Wellington Nem, Okore, Lisandro Lopez, and Ruben Y-J. As IRL the defensive frailties in the squad need sorting as a priority. Will also look for a new left back...any suggestions?

Tactics....hmmm! The recommendation from coaches is a 41221 but I'm thinking more along the lines of a 442 to get a Lambert/JRod partnership up front and provide some cover for the fullbacks out wide. Spiderman and Davis in the midfield looks ok but at least one new CB is a priority because I would prefer to get rid of Fonte and/or Hooiveld.

Will post more thoughts as I get into pre-season

Edit: the problem with a 442 is it won't suit Ramirez and per Welshace #93 he has to play.....drawing board beckons!!!

oh the potential in this team..

ramirez is one of the most highly rated players in the game..

and with shaw and ward-prowse... thats one hell of a back bone to build from..

Alright lads, just fired up a Saints save, am aiming to get a career save out of it!

1st day actions - addressed staff weaknesses (fired most of the physics, all of the fitness coaches and 3 of the worst scouts) have good incoming replacements at contract agreed status. Have left everything else alone partly because I couldn't find anyone decent to bring in but would welcome all suggestions!

Bit of scouting- Wellington Nem, Okore, Lisandro Lopez, and Ruben Y-J. As IRL the defensive frailties in the squad need sorting as a priority. Will also look for a new left back...any suggestions?

Tactics....hmmm! The recommendation from coaches is a 41221 but I'm thinking more along the lines of a 442 to get a Lambert/JRod partnership up front and provide some cover for the fullbacks out wide. Spiderman and Davis in the midfield looks ok but at least one new CB is a priority because I would prefer to get rid of Fonte and/or Hooiveld.

Will post more thoughts as I get into pre-season

Edit: the problem with a 442 is it won't suit Ramirez and per Welshace #93 he has to play.....drawing board beckons!!!

You thought about playing 4-2-2-2 with an AMR and AML? Would allow you to build Rickie/Rod partnership and have Gastón and Lallana out wide cutting in on their stronger foot.

You thought about playing 4-2-2-2 with an AMR and AML? Would allow you to build Rickie/Rod partnership and have Gastón and Lallana out wide cutting in on their stronger foot.

Not a bad idea- thanks for the suggestion. Just about to play 1st friendly vs Magdeburg. Will start 442 but will go to AML/AMR part way through to test.

Hon the Saints. Started yesterday with them, hooked on that team and mainly that youth setup. Unreal stuff. Didnt buy any players first window. Currently sitting 5 in the PL.

I play a 4-2-3-1, with one CM and one DM, LW as inside forward, RW as winger and AM as advanced playmaker. I let the AM go out of position. Attacking style and free flow. LB and RB I have set as wing back and auto. I figured out that getting players on loan to add depth to the squad in the field I cannot buy players that are good enough for a suitable fee.

as LB I borrowed Jack Robinson in first season, and bought a new one in season two and sold Fox to make room for Shaw.

Update on pre-season.

Signed Wellington Nem and Jonas Okore. Sold Tadanari, Seabourne and De Ridder. Loans out Butterfield and Hoskins.

May also get rid of Fox and no one is interested in Forte....

In 4 pre-season games to date we have conceded once and scored 7 - all 4 victories. Most in-saints like! Using a 442 which seems to be working ok, getting control of the midfield is a nightmare and mids/defenders seem insistent on dwelling on the ball, turning their back to the direction of play and then getting dispossessed!!!

Still getting to grips with training...

Oh yeah apologies didn't think.

Starting a save, just now, wondering about tactics

The original 4 3 3 with a holding midfielder as well as a 4 3 3/ 4 5 1 with a attacking midfielder/second striker are getting trained but I find them boring as there basically defaults. I was going to try and come up with a formation thats a bit more exciting.

I was thinking a 4 3 1 2 with 3 cm. Like italy during the euros, a heavily rotating narrow midfield four, all with specific roles. 2 very attacking wing backs and a complete forward and a striker that I might rotate.

Would it work? I have used it previously (on fm12 so bear that in mind) but only when my teams better than most others, could this overachieve? I have never used it as a underdog before and I don't think it will be very stable at the back considering we have a poor defence. I think the only way it would work is if it keeps 60+ possession. I am making a prototype of this formation, what roles should they have, I atm have a am, like machirano or however you spell it, dlp ala pirlo, bwm like rossi but I can't think of the fourth?

I was thinking also of a 3 at the back formation but I think to use it successfully at southampton it would probably be more of a permanent 5 at the back, rather than having the desired extra man in attack, and defence. Any other formation ideas, or tips that will help me with my current ones?

Also any ideas on future permanent roles/positions for players like mayuka, ward prowse, chambers, rodriquez

I am definitely making mayuka a poacher as he is a poor support player, he might even become a super sub as I edited his pace/acceleration not much just 16 for each) ward prowse I don't know whether to have him as a box to box, advanced or deep lying playmaker. I was heading more towards box to box as at the moment he hasn't excelled at anything and I always find it hard to find decent regen box to box midfielders.

Rodriguez I think could become a decent complete forward. apart from creativity he is nearly there already and I believe just making him in to a new lambert is a bit limiting. I am also tring to turn lallana into a trequartista as well as ramirez, though I'm probably wrong in thinking it will work. I think I have misunderstood the point of a trequartista as I basically think of them as a goalscoring playmaker/ second striker, but I think I am wrong

EDIT: Just looking at some good tutors, artur boruc at first glance looks like a great tutor for gazzaniga, also ramirez for ward-prowse or chambers maybe, when he is old enough to tutor?

Am I right in thinking that determination is the main thing to look at for tutoring?

Ramirez isn't old enough, but he will be in a few years. I'm just finishing my third season and he's been awesome in my AMC role scoing goals for fun (I think he's also Ward-Prowse's tutor as well). Mayuka has trailed off a bit and I think I am going to sell him, I re-trained him as a MR but he's now down the pecking order as I have Oxlaide-Chamberlain for that position, Lallana as back up and I bought a Brazilian called Adryan and re-trained him for that position.

I have Jay-Rod playing as a poacher, his finishing, pace, acceleration and off the ball are all 16 and he has a whopping 19 for composure now. He's been my top scorer for the last 3 seasons and is an England regular.

I have ward-prowse as an AMC, been training him to play there and he's just become natural at it, his creativity, flair, first touch, dribbling and technique have all got to about 16. Him and Luke Shaw are developing into top class players. Boruc is also a good tutor but Gazzinga doesn't develop that well, don;t think his PA is that high.

My second season I bought some players that could tutor some of my younger players and play in the first team while the youngsters were improving.

Hello,

I'm starting a new season with the Southampton and, if possible, to give me what's the best role for Lallana and Ramirez?

I'm playing in a 4-2-3-1:

GR: Boruc (GR - Defender)

RB: Clyne (FB - Attack)

CB: Fontes (CB - Block)

CB: Hooiveld (CB - Defend)

LB: Fox (FB - Defend)

CM: Schneiderlin (Winning ball - Defend)

CM: Steven Davis (constructor game - Support)

AMR: Mayuka (IF - Attack)

AMC: Ramirez (IF - Attack)

AML: Lallana (Winger - Support)

PL: Lambert (back striker - Support