*Football Manager 13 Pre-Order Beta Official Feedback Thread* - Keep it all in here please

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
does anyone have the feeling that all teams are equal. it seems it doesn't have any difference wheter you play barcelona or gijon..you can destroy barcelona 3-0 and then next game you can be destroyed against gijon..this is ridicilous. what ever you do tactic wise seems not to work..i tried about 5 different tactics and it's always the same. you never know how the game will play out, you can play against some minnows at home and not be able to count on sure victory and that's with playing as real madrid ffs..this new ME is really really bad.

Yep. I know it's a beta, they're aware of the issues and are working on them but I've cancelled my pre-order. I'll keep an eye on things to see how it progresses but it's FM2012 for the time being.

I thought in one of the video blogs it showed that you could set the time that the pop ups displayed for ?

You can, but it's still not long enough. You can only set it to a max of a few seconds. Like somebody else said, i'd quite like the option to have it there all the time.

I notice cross is more effective in 2013 which is a welcomed improvement of ME. At first I, too, worried about wingers might be too powerful. But when I looked for numbers. Cross take 8 out of 19 goals my team completed. It seems like a fair share to me.

I notice cross is more effective in 2013 which is a welcomed improvement of ME. At first I, too, worried about wingers might be too powerful. But when I looked for numbers. Cross take 8 out of 19 goals my team completed. It seems like a fair share to me.

yeah,cross is more effective because keepers and defenders are non existant.

does anyone have the feeling that all teams are equal. it seems it doesn't have any difference wheter you play barcelona or gijon..you can destroy barcelona 3-0 and then next game you can be destroyed against gijon..this is ridicilous. what ever you do tactic wise seems not to work..i tried about 5 different tactics and it's always the same. you never know how the game will play out, you can play against some minnows at home and not be able to count on sure victory and that's with playing as real madrid ffs..this new ME is really really bad.

Yup, all teams are pretty much the exact same this year. It makes the game really boring. This proven somewhat by the two saves i have at the moment.

In my PSG save i came second to Lille, 3rd were Bastia somehow, Lyon were 4th.

In my Dundee United save the top3 in the SPL were Celtic in 1st as predicted, 2nd was St.Mirren and 3rd was Ross County, both of which should be relegtion fodder in all honesty.

• Administrators
Every time I try and play the game I get an 'unexpected error' crash on a new Macbook Pro. Incredibly frustrating. Feels like I've wasted £25.

Raise it here and we'll look into it for you - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/306-Mac-Specific-Issues

Thanks.

• Administrators
In my save, Liverpool bought in a striker called Mphela...His stats look like Mid Championship quality...Once again, AI squad building is a joke :/

SI, this is one of the most crucial aspects IMO...

Don't you read these posts..

If you think it's an issue please raise it in the bugs forum - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/298-Transfers-Contracts-and-Responsibilities

Thanks.

• Administrators
I'm playing in the norwegian second division at the moment, and i'm only allowed three substitutes to be selected pre-match, will this be fixed in the final version?

Something we're aware of already, thanks for raising it.

I have been playing FMC for a few days now and I am really impressed with it - it's perfectly balanced between depth and quick play time which I didn't think was possible.

One little gripe I have is with board requests. It seems affiliated clubs are in FMC, but there is no way to request them? There is no direct way to request improved youth training facilities, junior coaching or youth recruitment. These things are all implemented in the game (club overview -> view facilities -> view club facilities) but there is no obvious way to improve them?

OK, I've taken a slightly different approach to most people I'd imagine - the most crucial aspect of this game for me is the longer term aspects as I love playing career games, and often with some of the more unfamiliar leagues. So far therefore all I've done is stick the game on holiday mode and analyse what happens over the long term - I haven't yet played a single actual game!!!

There are 4 crucial aspects of the game therefore where I'm looking for improvements:

* AI Squad Building - do the major teams in each league deteriorate over time. In previous incarnations of the game the top teams would get weaker within 5 or 6 seasons and wouldn't replace aging stars

* Variety of league and competition winners - in 30 years time in real life there will be some variation of the teams at the top of leagues around the world. So I'm looking for somebody other than the obvious teams to start lifting some trophies

* Financial stability - in previous games within 7 or 8 years you'd be approached by teams offerring you transfer budgets of £200m+ because their bank balances have rocketed

* Ability to pay big money to sign aging stars into leagues with lower reputations i.e. Drogba and Anelka to China, Eto'o to Russia and Beckham to the US

So far I've holidayed to 2030 and thought I'd share my initial views:

AI Squad Building

* Most of the major teams do have a squad with a better age balance than in previous games, there are plenty of 20 - 23 year olds who are getting game time, although still not as much as the older players in the 30-33 year old bracket

* I've analysed all of the leading transfers to check that none of them have been stupid deals for players who are already in their mid 30's - and most of them are fine with players currently in mid to late 20's as you would expect

* I've also analysed a couple of the major English clubs transfers going back for the last 10 years and whilst there are some who were bought in for large sums and then barely played (mistakes happen in real life after all - Bebe anybody!) these are fewer than I've seen in previous versions and those players who don't get games do get moved on within a few seasons and normally for transfer fee's that are circa 60-75% of the fee originally payed.

* The overall number of transfers into the big clubs is much lower - 3 or 4 players per season max. Again I think this is more in line with reality?

Conclusion - looks much better than previous versions, but not perfect

Variety of competition winners* This is disappointing - very little variation at the top in the first 17 years. Nobody outside Man Utd / City / Arsenal / Chelsea / Tottenham has finished in the Top 3 in the Premier League (desptie Stoke getting a sugar daddy and spending hundreds of millions)

* Juventus have won all but 2 of the Serie A

* R Madrid and Barcelona have won all but 2 of the Liga BBVA (the other 2 went to Valencia)

* Worryingly English clubs have won 12 of the 17 Champions league trophies

Conclusion - Not looking good, very similar if not worse than previous versions - however it's still early days

Financial Stability

* This looks a lot better, with most teams still with sensible bank balances and transfer budgets. In fact Man Utd have a negative balance of £46m in 2030 and are on a downwards trajectory. Man City are only being kept in the black thanks to constant injections of funds by the chairman

* Even abroad, most teams seem to be on a pretty even keel with no stupid balances - Real Madrid have a bank balance of £86m in 2030

* The one exception to this is Barcelona, who have been on a constant upward trend. In 2030 they have a bank balance of a whopping £630m. This is so out of kilter with the other clubs that I can only guess that this is a bug with the set up for Barcelona??????

Conclusion - looking much, much better. Hope the Barcelona issue is a bug which can be easily fixed?

Stars moving abroad

* At the start of the save I set up a manager for Los Angeles Galaxy, Anji (Russia) and Guanghzou (China). There were plenty of unemployed stars willing to talk to LA Galaxy, this felt right. Only a small number would talk to Anji (but I was able to do a big money deal with Thomas Hitzelsperger) but nobody would even open up discussions with Guanghzou

* Over the last 17 years there have been a good handful of players who've moved to the US to a variety of clubs to end their careers their - this feels like just the right number. For example Javier Pastore went to New York, Falcao went to Seattle, Karim Benzema went to San Jose

* No players that I would consider to be in the same class as Drogba, Eto'o or Anelka have moved to Chinese or Russian clubs

Conclusion - An improvement on the stars moving to the US, but no sign of any stars willing to open discussions with Russian or Chinese sides. Can SI look at doing whatever they've done to the US teams to the Russians and Chinese please?

I'm going to holiday a bit further and understand whether any of these trends change further into the game, but so far I'd give a score of 6.5/10 for the improvements that I personally had been looking for in the game - it's definitely better than FM12 but isn't quite as good as I'd hoped it might be.

EDIT: One final point - the International manager bug from previous versions appears to have been resolved - no more 'nobodies' being appointed as England manager, at least not yet in my game

Unplayable.

Garbage.

Clunky, claustrophobic interface. Everything greyed out as if you’ve mass selected everyone. Everything needs nine thousand clicks before it takes. You have to hunt around forever to find things you used naturally before. Why? Just to make it seem things have been radically overhauled? To annoy for the sake of annoying?

The match engine: fuzzy names, fuzzy players, jerky action. Every time the AI team crosses beyond your last man (your defenders will invariably leave someone over) they stroke it into the net. Regardless if it has to pass miraculously through your keeper. Every time.

Every.

Single.

Time.

Totally, completely and utterly pointless exercise putting in any effort whatsoever.

Why have I parted with £30 when I should have waited until (probably) next spring when it will finally be playable?

And what, in the name of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, was wrong with the FM12 match engine.

Well done guys. Cocked up the best engine so far.

I’ve just wasted hours on this getting to the league games and it’s time pissed up the wall.

Last year the FM12 demo was great, any bugs were nowhere near show stopping (not that I noticed many) and for the first time I carried on my demo game when the game proper came out. What's gone wrong with this?

• Administrators
Any word on German youth teams being empty?

Raise it on the bugs forum and we'll look into it. Are you sure the youth players aren't showing up for those teams B-Teams rather than reserve/U18s?

If it was a real BETA it would have started weeks ago. Paul C has admitted the game won't be fixed for release but stuff patched on release and in a later update.

I'm sure we are making a difference, but this code was reportedly hours old when it went live Thursday , if that really was the case then I'm not holding up much hope that we are going to get anything resembling a playable game come the 2nd. Lucky most retailers took payment when the pre orders were placed, if I had known the game was in this state I would have waited see if it can be salvaged.

Utterly bewildering that they manage to mess up the ME so badly between last patch and the new release every year.

Edit : Just read that the decision to go with this ME over 12's was a recent decision and that in your own words "it may be 1 step forward 2 steps back" with this ME.

If it was a real BETA it would have started weeks ago. Paul C has admitted the game won't be fixed for release but stuff patched on release and in a later update.

I'm sure we are making a difference, but this code was reportedly hours old when it went live Thursday , if that really was the case then I'm not holding up much hope that we are going to get anything resembling a playable game come the 2nd. Lucky most retailers took payment when the pre orders were placed, if I had known the game was in this state I would have waited see if it can be salvaged.

Utterly bewildering that they manage to mess up the ME so badly between last patch and the new release every year.

I´m gonna wait 2nd November but anybody knows how reclaim the money on Steam? I never did that.

I want a playable game in November (when i pay for it) not in March with the last patch. Match engine is the worst ever.

• Administrators

Edit : Just read that the decision to go with this ME over 12's was a recent decision and that in your own words "it may be 1 step forward 2 steps back" with this ME.

When you say 'recent decision' he actually said 'recent months' so it's not like it was made last week :D

I don't often post on here, but I feel the need to this time.

An avid fan/player of the games for what seems like decades, this is the first time I don't feel good about it. Sure it's a BETA and sure I enjoy the faddy DoF touches to make it feel like a new game, and not just an update, but something doesn't feel right.

The bizarre results, amount of goals etc is quite worrying. I am playing as Chelsea and I am dominating every game in terms of possession, tackles won, headers won, attempts, CCC etc but losing more than I am winning.

Just lost at home to Man Utd despite 68%-32% possession and similarly one sided other stats. Yes, Chelsea Bayern CL final in real life last year, yes Chelsea Barca CL Semi last year, but to lose 0-6??? Come on, that is ridiculous.

For some reason I, for the first time ever, feel that the game is unplayable. Something not right, despite the little touches that the die hards are raving about.

Very disappointed, hope it is sorted as, ordinarily, I love the game.

Is it possible to turn off the changing pictures/rotating stadium on the match day screens? Especially the latter one is making me dizzy when trying to read on the screen. I can't find any good arguments for having any movable objects in the background of a screen that requires reading.

Other than that, and the generating of match reports everytime you try to access a match, the game looks ok. That is, I find it cruel to include the Liverpool-woodwork statistics in the game. 1st match, 5 in the woodwork ;)

Could anyone help me here? No way of getting rid of the rotating background? I'm sure it's not a problem for the majority, but I'm almost getting seasick from this..

Started a season with Rangers (in the Third Division).

One thing I've noticed is the ridiculous expenditure over the months.

For example:

'Match day expenses' for 1 month at £720k (£2.7M season to date)

'Ground maintenance' at £350k (£3.2M season to date)

'Other' at £320k (£3.3M season to date)

Now this seems well over the top and is crippling the club and I'm not even in February yet...

Thoughts?

I thought this as well so did a bit of investigation and its about the same as other English clubs in the same attendance bracket

Its the loss off revenue from the 10k fans missing from every home game that's a bigger issue. The extra cash about £2m a season is what is hindering my finances IMO. Not to mention 18k turning up for cup games on a Sat afternoon there should be at least twice that for games at Ibrox on a Sat

When you say 'recent decision' he actually said 'recent months' so it's not like it was made last week :D

He also said this was a 2 year development cycle, so even "recent months" would be pretty late in the game to be switching to a ME he himself admits isn't right. He also says that this is a necessary evil if they are to deliver the ME we want/you want to deliver....and that's great, but reading that thread it certainly doesn't sound like you are going to have the ME in a place that both you and us can be happy with come the 2nd.

Feel free to prove me wrong though !

I'm starting to wonder if I'm playing a different game to everyone else. I'm playing as Derby, playing a straight 442, AM doing opposition instructions and team talks, and after 18 games I'm 4th, having conceded less than a goal a game, only 1 of those being fom a back post cross. I've only scored 2 myself from back post crosses. The only issue in the ME, from what an can see, is GKs handling - fielding has cost me 3 bad goals so far. The rest of the goals I've scored and conceded seem sensible.

I don't often post on here, but I feel the need to this time.

An avid fan/player of the games for what seems like decades, this is the first time I don't feel good about it. Sure it's a BETA and sure I enjoy the faddy DoF touches to make it feel like a new game, and not just an update, but something doesn't feel right.

The bizarre results, amount of goals etc is quite worrying. I am playing as Chelsea and I am dominating every game in terms of possession, tackles won, headers won, attempts, CCC etc but losing more than I am winning.

Just lost at home to Man Utd despite 68%-32% possession and similarly one sided other stats. Yes, Chelsea Bayern CL final in real life last year, yes Chelsea Barca CL Semi last year, but to lose 0-6??? Come on, that is ridiculous.

For some reason I, for the first time ever, feel that the game is unplayable. Something not right, despite the little touches that the die hards are raving about.

Very disappointed, hope it is sorted as, ordinarily, I love the game.

Completely agree with this, there is something just not right about FM 13.

To many changes to the UI and the match engine, it's quite clear a large number of players are not satisfied. I don't believe myself to be complaining needlessly either, I love the FM games and fully support the work SI do, but I think they should have paid attention to the age old quote "Don't fix what isn't broken".

Touches like the DOF and improved player/board interaction are great, but for every great feature there's a "I can't view a match report without having to generate it?". The base game mechanics have taken a step backwards. I'm intrigued to see what SI do next.

I understand this is a beta but why doesn't defender collect work for me? I have it on my sweeper keeper and he just boots it down the field every single time. I am not exaggerating. It kills me. Is this happening to anyone else or is it just me? Or is it a known bug in the beta?

I will try to set my keeper to non-sweeper keeper and see if he still does it.

Yup, to be honest I'm starting to consider refunding my purchase. What worries me are so many weird UI changes and decisions. FM12 UI was great, consise and coherent and suddenly in FM13 they throw it ALL out of the windows and make something complete different, god knows why. The match engine was bound to be buggy mess, remember that's it's brand new despite the fact that it LOOKS like the old one. It's not so don't expect miracles. And the worst part. Only two weeks until the release day. There is no way it'll be in good shape on November 2nd. Time to look out how GMG handles refunds and go back to FM12.

I understand this is a beta but why doesn't defender collect work for me? I have it on my sweeper keeper and he just boots it down the field every single time. I am not exaggerating. It kills me. Is this happening to anyone else or is it just me? Or is it a known bug in the beta?

I will try to set my keeper to non-sweeper keeper and see if he still does it.

Think this is a known bug

I have to ask, why did you change so much? The ME and the staff changes I can understand but why are team-talks and player values and scouting reports so different. I just think with a couple of weeks to go the game still requires quite a bit of work.

I´m gonna wait 2nd November but anybody knows how reclaim the money on Steam? I never did that.

I want a playable game in November (when i pay for it) not in March with the last patch. Match engine is the worst ever.

I'm not sure about pre-orders but it's almost impossible to get money back off Steam because you're not buying the game itself you're buying a digital licence which isn't covered by the same laws as the actual game.

What worries me are so many weird UI changes and decisions. FM12 UI was great, consise and coherent and suddenly in FM13 they throw it ALL out of the windows and make something complete different, god knows why.

That's a big part of the problem for me. FM12's UI was part of a continuous chain of logical evolutions to the interface going back years. It didn't need such a drastic overhaul, so I don't know why it got one. I'm hoping that someone will be able to put together a more proper FM skin, but I don't know what kind of restrictions the changes to the game might put on those efforts.

Glad I'm not the only one who think's that they have changed too much this year.

Totally agree with the: why fix something that wasn't broke: post above.

Some of the new stuff is great, such has the new loan negotiations and the transfer deadline feature.. but other things, especially the UI have been changed too much.

It's strange when stuff you have always been used to, are no longer there, or are in a totally different place/screen.

Re: the UI, is it me or has the font size increased?

As much as I'm enjoying some of the changes, on my 27 inch monitor the text looks larger than it has done in previous years, making it look in my eyes a bit more dumbed down. I know that sounds like a silly thing to say, but I always think larger text makes things look a bit basic. Is there no way of having an option to change the size of text, much like you can change the resolution?

As much as I'm enjoying some of the changes, on my 27 inch monitor the text looks larger than it has done in previous years, making it look in my eyes a bit more dumbed down. I know that sounds like a silly thing to say, but I always think larger text makes things look a bit basic. Is there no way of having an option to change the size of text, much like you can change the resolution?

Edit - OK, teach me to check thoroughly before posting!!! I was only looking at FMC, not the main game. FMC does seem to have larger text, but the main game has the same size as before. This does kind of make sense, but equally would be good to have an option still in FMC to reduce the size? Makes is seem a bit more consoley?

Edit - OK, teach me to check thoroughly before posting!!! I was only looking at FMC, not the main game. FMC does seem to have larger text, but the main game has the same size as before. This does kind of make sense, but equally would be good to have an option still in FMC to reduce the size? Makes is seem a bit more consoley?

The opposite, it's tiny and is causing headaches.

I don't know that this is a bug or something I can change in settings.

I've noticed a few times that when I click proceed and the general news items come up the opposition manager has said something about one of my players and/or they've said something. However what was said doesn't appear in my news items. I would have thought that if something was said about my player or they said something it should be highlighted my my newsfeed

yeah,cross is more effective because keepers and defenders are non existant.

My stats told the difference. My team made 46 successful crosses out of 221 total and scored 8 goals, 2 of them are corner. It didn't look like "keepers and defenders are not existent" to me. Besides, in real life, a successful cross to far post is as dangerous as it is in ME of 2013. So I'm fine with that.

Actually I feel ME of 2013 has more diversities to score than before. And I like it a lot.

Just stepping in to emphasise a general point...

There is some excellent, constructive feedback in this thread - positive and negative - which is very much appreciated and which we take on board. However those of you looking to raise specific issues or seek updates on the development of the match engine (or on the status of issues in other areas) would be better served posting in and reading the pre-release beta bugs forum.

We're monitoring it continually so every issue raised there will be reviewed, responded to and generally updated. Brocky will do his utmost to keep you all updated in here (at silly o'clock in the morning sometimes) but we can't respond to every feedback thread post unfortunately, it'd be unmanageable.

Match engine issues are really bugging me. Too many goals from far post crosses, acute angles and rebounds after GK saves. All known issues being looked into and hopefully fixed for release/patch. I really like the look of everything else, I even think the new ME looks very promising but major issues are really dragging it down at the moment. I will give the game a rest now until there is a ME patch. I look forward to continuing my career with the update ME...

I agree with most here.

The new UI is horrible. I loved the FM12 UI, cant for the love of god understand why SI wanted to change it, and if they did WHY so much?. The default skin is just laughable.

I have tried the FMC skin port some modders have come up with its better, but still far from good enough considering its made for FMC wich I will never play.And the ME? Goals from crosses are coming WAY to often(Focus passing down flanks?) and the fact that it feels more like a hockey match with all the sliding and buttons and info are basically not where you want it to be.

The speed bursting is quite insane! I mean wingers with barely any decent pace and acceleration looks like they got a ACME Rocket stuck to their back.

Sigh! I am always hopeful, but for now its FM12 until there has been some radical patching from SI.

Can someone say whether there has been an extra option added to conversations with players in FM13 when they request a new contract, and you can't afford it? They always come to you and say they want to leave, and you can't actually tell them that you want to offer them a new contract, you can just say prove yourself, or no or standard options like that. It would be good to say to someone, that you do want to offer them a new contract but can't exceed a certain wage, but if they wait then when you have some money, you'll improve their contract straight away!

I rejected a player's request to terminate his loan. Now, after finding a replacement, a month later, I want to end his loan and send him back to his club because he is still unhappy, but the option to terminate the contract isn't there. If this is how it is supposed to be I see no logic, I'm the boss!

Backroom staff in fm has always been STUPID. I have NEVER seen a positive impact from any staff member in FM.

Now we can give a lot of tasks to the DoF;

the idea is very good,

BUT the DoF is exactly the same as all other staff members = no matter who it is, no matter what reputation, no matter what kind of attributes --> he only creates CHAOS if you give him any task !!!

Just had a player score an offside goal and the commentary instead said that the opposition player had completed his hattrick despite being nowhere near the action, and the goal being ruled out for being offside

and in the same match I've conceded 3 goals from the keeper parrying it to an opposition player, the 3rd goal sticking to the post :D

Archived