*Football Manager 13 Pre-Order Beta Official Feedback Thread* - Keep it all in here please

Is there a way you can tell us why certain people are having slow processing speeds and how we can fix them before the game miss out.

The reason I ask is Beta finishes on the 2nd and I don't want to pay around £20 and then find it is still unplayable in the full game, at the moment with the processing i am experiencing I wont be buying the game which is a shame as it is the best FM ever made.

6 hours to do a preseason is a bit much. I could do almost half a season on FM12 in that time, what makes it worse for me, is software rendering does make it slightly quicker but I cannot play any matches as it causes a crash dump, so I have to use GUP assisted

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators
Is there a way you can tell us why certain people are having slow processing speeds and how we can fix them before the game miss out.

The reason I ask is Beta finishes on the 2nd and I don't want to pay around £20 and then find it is still unplayable in the full game, at the moment with the processing i am experiencing I wont be buying the game which is a shame as it is the best FM ever made.

6 hours to do a preseason is a bit much. I could do almost half a season on FM12 in that time, what makes it worse for me, is software rendering does make it slightly quicker but I cannot play any matches as it causes a crash dump, so I have to use GUP assisted

I've been discussing this with you all day via your thread in the technical issues forum, we don't have an answer for this yet so please be patient. We're investigating the issue, thanks.

• Administrators
Seeing a problem with the Ukrainian league:

Game is counting subs in its calcualtion of Foreign player limits, while the actual rules are "7 foreign players fielded at any time max". Players on the sub's bench are not "fielded", why is the game making that mistake? It's really ruining the experience of playing as Dynamo Kiev or Shakhtar, they simply don't have enough domestic players to keep it under 7 foreigners on field AND bench.

Proof of subs not counted on that limit in the real world:

DK last game had 6 foreigners on the field and 3 more on the bench

Foreigners on the field: Tiawo, Veloso, Vukojevich, Raffael, Ideye and Mahmedi.

Foreigners on the bench: Kranjcar, Nincovich and Ruben.

When I try to field that team in the game it tells me "The squad can't have more then 7 foreign players. (Currently 9)". Then why was DK able to field that team in real life????

Thanks for that, I've seen you posted it in the league issues thread and we'll look into it.

I gotta say i'm quite dissapointed with the defense in this ME, 90% of the games i've conceded was due to the passivity of the defense, strikers gain headers everytime through the middle of the centrals, either that or their wingers just start rushing into the area and score from incredible angles, what makes me mad is that the defense is not doing stupid stuff, they are on the right positions they simply just stand there looking at the ball, i don't get it lol. I do hope these weeks are enough to fix these type of stuff on the ME. On the other hand, i just think it's an amazing work done on the ME on anything else but the defense.

I've been discussing this with you all day via your thread in the technical issues forum, we don't have an answer for this yet so please be patient. We're investigating the issue, thanks.

I understand that and I am very grateful and glad the beta was released to show this up before I brought the game, I was just asking how do you solve problems when you dont have the exact PC set up I have and is it possble to find a solution before the 2nd.

Notice when you have a player in the 1st team available for reserves for 45/60/90 min, there is no option to remove. You have to switch to Reserves and then back to 1st team. Quite time consuming when you have lots of players selected.

Suggestion: Add a None option.

Notice when you have a player in the 1st team available for reserves for 45/60/90 min, there is no option to remove. You have to switch to Reserves and then back to 1st team. Quite time consuming when you have lots of players selected.

Suggestion: Add a None option.

I thought this at first but if you select the option which is already active it will remove it from the player.

I don't have the beta release but I read here that the match screen view does not swith automatically to the pitch when there's a highlight. I'm pretty sure most people watch the matches on highlights only, so I find this very worrying, please include an option to have it switch automatically.
It does and you can customise exactly what screen you it defaults to at the start and during the match.

I'm having real problems with setting this up, have checked the in game options and also preferences. The options seem to be:

- watch in overview mode and manually click pitch when a highlight appears behind the widgets

- watch in pitch mode and have match stats box cover a section of the highlights screen

- watch in split mode and sacrifice highlight space

Is there no solution here? Is there really no way to watch the stats and then the highlights as and when they appear without some sort of sacrifice?

Just had a news item: "Sutherland Concerned" and goes on to tell me how the player would be keen to leave if he can't get First Team Football.

The issue? He's just requested a leave of absence because he couldn't settle, hence the reason he's not playing. Not sure if it's a bug or just a cosmetic thing.

My feelings after getting 17 games into the season are pretty positive. The ME is a little jittery at times but I'm not really experiencing a lot of these issues that other people are and it is a definite improvement on the last iteration, which I simply gave up on in favour of reading flashing text and giving myself a headache. There seems to be quite a lot of fouls going on but seeing as I'm Chesterfield and we have quite a few dirty sods in our squad anyway it seems fairly realistic :). I'm probably just happy with it because I'm doing alright though. I'll be back on in a few days complaining like a trooper once I start losing too much.

Can we get rid of the silly abbreviations for Porto, Benfica, Marseille etc? Seeing a table with FCP, SLB and OM looks silly.

i know right? That's due licensing, i simply can't play with Benfica due to that, i'll wait until the editor comes to change that if possible

Defending is a joke. Players just stare at the ball when it rolls next to them, they don't even try to get it back from the opponents, they just STARE and run, hows that normal? So frustrating...

Yup, it's the main reason why i've stopped playing the game now, that and the crossing bug.

Wish they would fix it before launch but it's very unlikely :(

Having quite a few problems with the game so far. After playing 13 for about 30~ hours, my mate has already gone back to FM12 until a patch is released. I've tried a season and a half at Everton, and a half a season at Man City. With both Everton and City, the results are so sporadic that it doesn't feel as I can do anything to change them. I've tried quite a few tactics, 4-5-1s, 4-3-3s, 4-4-2s, nothings working. I've even attempted to recreate my FM12 tactics, and those still aren't consistent. The match engine, although greatly improved from FM12 on the shell, has completely game-breaking flaws that makes it a chore to play, rather than fun. On my Everton team, it seems as if one day I'm beating Liverpool 4-0, and the next I'm getting blown out 5-0 by Stoke, or another mediocre (no offense!) team. Despite all the signings I've made in the second season (David Luiz, Yossi Benayoun, Pablo Aimar, Francis Coquelin, Mathieu Bodmer, Giuseppe Sculli), we seem to be doing even worse, sitting in 18th with 3 wins and 6 losses. This is with trying multiple tactics, and even ones recommended on the forums.

My biggest gripe has to be the match engine. Crosses are deadly. Literally every cross results in their player losing my defenders and being open, with no effort for my players to recover. Although not every one was scored, nearly every cross against me resulted in an easy shot on target. When the cross is close to the goalkeeper, the goalkeeper makes no effort to come out and catch the cross. I'd say around 80% of the goals scored against me have been due to crosses, not just at the back post, but at about every angle imaginable, as the defense does NOTHING about them. Defenders don't mark, and certainly don't make any effort to tackle or intercept the ball, with crazy pass competition rates for the opposition.

Another thing that has really angered me is goalkeepers. With every goalkeeper I've used so far, Joe Hart, Costel Pantimilion, Tim Howard, Jan Mucha, their handling seems to be zero. On the lightest shot, it simply bounces off them. Never do they make an effort to hold it. With Tim Howard, I've had about 3 goals this season due to over hit balls which Howard just easily grab and clear. Instead, Howard amazingly figures out a way to drop the ball, and proceeds to stand there while the nearest player comes and smashes the ball into the open net.

As far as results go, scores seem to be too high. In the 2012/13 season, 1117 goals were scored. The average match had 2.94 goals, which is definitely over the realistic average. This seems a little overdone, as all aside from one of the top 7 teams had over 70 goals! I also saw many games that ended in high scores, such as 5-4, 4-3, etc. There seems to be one or two of those every week, which is also quite unrealistic.

On a positive note, I love the UI and all the additions outside the match engine. It's probably the thing that's making me stick with the beta. The new staff system is also pretty nice, especially the Head of Youth! Surprised me with 2 4.5 star PA Czech newgens in the first season without my knowledge. Hope the match engine is refined soon so I can begin enjoying the game. It's for the most part the only thing wrong with it, but sadly that is a huge thing for me and one of the reasons I play so much.

I can't stand the match engine ! Extremely dissapointed because it should have been improved this year but it's actually the worst match engine ever to be on an FM game in my opinion. The game looked brilliant but as soon as I got into my first match I couldn't believe what was going on.

Just a quick piece of feedback, I trust this is the right place anyway.

When I mutually terminate some contracts, seems arbitrary which staff this bug applies to they agree to the termination but do not always leave the team instead sticking around with the option to terminate now gone as you would expect but still very much usable by me as if I had never terminated the contract. Firing them solves the issue but you have to pay again. Reloading the game seemed to solve the issue but thought you should be aware.

Having quite a few problems with the game so far. After playing 13 for about 30~ hours, my mate has already gone back to FM12 until a patch is released. I've tried a season and a half at Everton, and a half a season at Man City. With both Everton and City, the results are so sporadic that it doesn't feel as I can do anything to change them. I've tried quite a few tactics, 4-5-1s, 4-3-3s, 4-4-2s, nothings working. I've even attempted to recreate my FM12 tactics, and those still aren't consistent. The match engine, although greatly improved from FM12 on the shell, has completely game-breaking flaws that makes it a chore to play, rather than fun. On my Everton team, it seems as if one day I'm beating Liverpool 4-0, and the next I'm getting blown out 5-0 by Stoke, or another mediocre (no offense!) team. Despite all the signings I've made in the second season (David Luiz, Yossi Benayoun, Pablo Aimar, Francis Coquelin, Mathieu Bodmer, Giuseppe Sculli), we seem to be doing even worse, sitting in 18th with 3 wins and 6 losses. This is with trying multiple tactics, and even ones recommended on the forums.

My biggest gripe has to be the match engine. Crosses are deadly. Literally every cross results in their player losing my defenders and being open, with no effort for my players to recover. Although not every one was scored, nearly every cross against me resulted in an easy shot on target. When the cross is close to the goalkeeper, the goalkeeper makes no effort to come out and catch the cross. I'd say around 80% of the goals scored against me have been due to crosses, not just at the back post, but at about every angle imaginable, as the defense does NOTHING about them. Defenders don't mark, and certainly don't make any effort to tackle or intercept the ball, with crazy pass competition rates for the opposition.

Another thing that has really angered me is goalkeepers. With every goalkeeper I've used so far, Joe Hart, Costel Pantimilion, Tim Howard, Jan Mucha, their handling seems to be zero. On the lightest shot, it simply bounces off them. Never do they make an effort to hold it. With Tim Howard, I've had about 3 goals this season due to over hit balls which Howard just easily grab and clear. Instead, Howard amazingly figures out a way to drop the ball, and proceeds to stand there while the nearest player comes and smashes the ball into the open net.

As far as results go, scores seem to be too high. In the 2012/13 season, 1117 goals were scored. The average match had 2.94 goals, which is definitely over the realistic average. This seems a little overdone, as all aside from one of the top 7 teams had over 70 goals! I also saw many games that ended in high scores, such as 5-4, 4-3, etc. There seems to be one or two of those every week, which is also quite unrealistic.

On a positive note, I love the UI and all the additions outside the match engine. It's probably the thing that's making me stick with the beta. The new staff system is also pretty nice, especially the Head of Youth! Surprised me with 2 4.5 star PA Czech newgens in the first season without my knowledge. Hope the match engine is refined soon so I can begin enjoying the game. It's for the most part the only thing wrong with it, but sadly that is a huge thing for me and one of the reasons I play so much.

^^ This echos all of my thoughts. The inconsistency is such a pain, there's no way of telling how you're going to do. I'm in the French third tier and well, I'll beat the top sides convincingly by 3 goals, then I'll lose by 5 to one of the bottom teams. One game I got so clowned on by the crossing bug that despite dominating possession and having more shots I lost 8-3. Yup.

Defending is a joke. Players just stare at the ball when it rolls next to them, they don't even try to get it back from the opponents, they just STARE and run, hows that normal? So frustrating...

Yes, defense needs to take a real good look at, i just played a very slow tempo, wasting time tactic with 3 DM's along with the 4 line in the back and lost 3-5, players would look like they were drooling looking at their boots thinking what am i doing here, while some average striker would go between 5 of them and score from a ridiculous angle any goalkeeper would defend, i've tried 6 tactics so far, 4 of them until fluid and i can't really say any were good at defense, the goals i've conceded were simply stupid, the defenders are in the right position to tackle, to antecipate themselves, to do something and they don't. The crossings.. lol, your WB presses their winger he passes to their WB he crosses and some midget striker appears sitting between CB's and scores 4 outta 5 times. I don't get it lol, i'm loving the way the players are acting, super excited for FM 13, but the defense is really something SI needs to take a good look at imo, this is actually making me think about the pre-order as i'm not seeing things like this being fixed in 2 weeks lol.

I've actually had a goal conceded from a free kick, where i had 7 players plus the goalkeeper around this 1 guy, the ball is passed from the freekick to his feet while they watch it go, and the guy scores, he doesn't score from a first touch no, not from a rebound, no.. he receives the ball he runs in the middle of all these players and the GK that doesnt even get out of his area, and basically enters the net with the ball on his feet, i actually thought about recording that and post it here because it's simply painful to watch

Wasn't going to get the new fm until after it was released properly and a patch came out, even though there is a bit of negative feedback and some bugs I thought bugger it I cant wait any longer, so after 3 hours of downloading it it only being 50% im bloody itching and raring to gooooo.....come onnnnnnn

On reflection after playing for a while I'm not very impressed.

Quite a lot of utterly bizarre results floating around the game that are quite unrealistic. I just beat Bayern in the Champions League with Celtic 7-1 despite going down to 10 men. A few days later I lose comfortably against Dundee United!

Also my top scorers are always wide players.

Manager AI is shocking in terms of transfers. Clubs either stockpile players or buy players they have absolutely no use for.

Hoping things improve for the full game release.

Havent got the beta yet, but reading this thread with interest. I appriciate that this is still a work in progress but there still appear to be many things that need to be fixed prior to release. The question I have to ask is, Do you think the majority of these problems can be sorted prior to release date? I, for one, would rather the release date be posponed in order to have a playable game.

I can't stand the match engine ! Extremely dissapointed because it should have been improved this year but it's actually the worst match engine ever to be on an FM game in my opinion. The game looked brilliant but as soon as I got into my first match I couldn't believe what was going on.

It's funny but I feel like the credo for this years FM was "everyone can play like Barca and every player can be a Messi".

Over their attempt to make the football overall look better they forgot to make defenders and goal keepers look like they actually know what they are doing.

The result now is that teams like Stoke have pass success rate of 85%+ and play an amazing short passing game and pressing for 90 minutes.

The result is that players like Adam fire up their afterburner and cut with ease through midfield and defense standing there watching amazed how Messi... erm Adam is soaring past them at the speed of light to score with amazing precision and power.

Defenders also seem to have forgotten how to jump or that if a cross comes searing in it's not the best idea for the fullbacks all to run into the middle and hold a powwow with their CBs.

Not to mention that it's really funny how some of the headers are practically scored from 30 cm away directly in front of the GK, who also has joined the powwow with his FBs and CBs instead of trying to actually intercept a cross that comes so close to them.

But at least the AI teams aren't spared from such comical behavior at the defense.

About 60% of my goals are scored from headers less then 1 meter away from goal, 30% come from Messi style dribblings by Valencia or Carrick and 10% are just freak accidents.

Another funny thing is when the ball physic runs amok and my keeper kicks a ball across the field and out of the stadium to give the goal kick to the opposition instead.

Not to mention that defender collect has no effect on keeper ball distribution whatsoever, keepers really seem to be at the lowest they have been for a long time.

Just played a whole season with Newcastle United.

The overall feel of the game is great, but the horrendous ME is ruining everything. I have gone back to FM12 with pro's update and loving it again

I have conceded (and scored) far too many 'glitchy' goals...For example....40 yard strikes from my centre back Coloccini.....about 40 goals or so (yes, 40!) which came from the far post crossing glitch. What I HATE is the fact that none of my players close down the wingers. Its horrible.

There are far too many to list, but I think SI need to have a really hard look at the ME and how it plays and make major fixes before the game goes gold.

I am hopeful that this BETA version is quite old and SI simply released it so we can also have a say in what needs to be rectified come release date

I was really looking forward to playing the BETA, but the ME has ruined it all.

:( Im gutted

On the main game, does 'space bar' not continue the game any more?

I've got 8 unread messages, and on previous FM's, pressing the space bar on the keyboard would take me to the next unread message, then continue the game once I had read/responded to them all. But it's not working for me on FM13.

Is this the same for everybody else, or have I accidently changed a setting or something?

On the main game, does 'space bar' not continue the game any more?

I've got 8 unread messages, and on previous FM's, pressing the space bar on the keyboard would take me to the next unread message, then continue the game once I had read/responded to them all. But it's not working for me on FM13.

Is this the same for everybody else, or have I accidently changed a setting or something?

I have just started my first season.

Spacebar is working fine here.

A amall gripe about FMC (which I do love)

When I make a Loan offer the rules regarding loans (eg "4 long term per season") do not show on the player offer panel as they do in FM full fat. Effectively a very useful feature has been removed. I appreciate that FMC is a slimmed down mode and that maybe the DLC "squad restriction overide" option makes this possibly invalid and may have rendered it unuseable - but I really miss it.

I haven't seen any of the issues with crossing or keepers that are mentioned here. People need to remember that until they've played a fair few games (half a season at least, and honestly more like in to the hundreds of matches) then they actually haven't seen anything like a representative sample.

I have just started my first season.

Spacebar is working fine here.

Thanks.

I'm not sure why it's not working for me, I've checked in the shortcut settings, and 'space' is set for continue game.. but it's just not doing anything.

I'm playing on a windows 7 laptop, not sure if that's got anything to do with it? I know I can't take any screenshots of FM on this laptop, unless I change FM to windowed mode.

I do find the defending and scoring buggy, I just finished a season where I scored 99 goals and conceded 79 although I'm not convinced it's the ME, as I did have games my defenders was fantastic. I've scored about 15 goals from far post crossing, but my strikers scored most of my goals, so again I didn't notice the far post crossing glith that's supposedly around.

The only thing I did notice was, whilst playing as England I told Darren Bent he needs to play for a bigger club if he wants to play for England and he agreed with me. I dropped him for 6 months and he never once told Aston Villa he wanted to leave, nor did he get unsettled and have any transfer bids come in for him.

The majority of the new features in this game has made this game the best to date, and despite minor bugs I really have not lost any enthusiasm for when the proper version comes out on the 2nd of November.

Thanks.

I'm not sure why it's not working for me, I've checked in the shortcut settings, and 'space' is set for continue game.. but it's just not doing anything.

I'm playing on a windows 7 laptop, not sure if that's got anything to do with it? I know I can't take any screenshots of FM on this laptop, unless I change FM to windowed mode.

Apparently it is a known issue and being looked at by SI :)

I haven't seen any of the issues with crossing or keepers that are mentioned here. People need to remember that until they've played a fair few games (half a season at least, and honestly more like in to the hundreds of matches) then they actually haven't seen anything like a representative sample.

Am pretty sure SI have acknowledged these issues.

Thanks.

Apparently it's an intermittent issue, it has been noted though i think.

A amall gripe about FMC (which I do love)

When I make a Loan offer the rules regarding loans (eg "4 long term per season") do not show on the player offer panel as they do in FM full fat. Effectively a very useful feature has been removed. I appreciate that FMC is a slimmed down mode and that maybe the DLC "squad restriction overide" option makes this possibly invalid and may have rendered it unuseable - but I really miss it.

Actually, having explored FMC a bit more I cannot find any screen anywhere that shows the Club's Loan restrictions, seems this aspect is a pen and paper job which is a shame. Am hoping to be proved wrong.

I've played much more than half a season and the problems are most definately there. To a point when it's difficult to play, which i'm not at the moment as it's just not fun. Add that to impossible font and skin colour and it's a big no for me.

alright played this for a little bit now. Immediate thoughts are

1) Goalkeepers are completely ********, and are the main contributors to the high goal count, i frequently have the ball bouncing off them and into the net (this is at blue square north level, perhaps its better up the pyramid?). On many occassions they dont even bother to move.

2) Attacking Midfielders are super effective, and strikers are bizarrely less effective, theres no need to play more than 1 up front in any circumstances from what I can tell.

3) Would love a small attendance stat in the bottom left on pitch view.

4) The magical mystery monster will attempt to negotiate deals for players that I have added as a transfer target, despite that being defined as my responsibility. Dont really mind this as it's a way to have a second round of negotations with a player who has taken the hump, but the mechanics between this and the responsibilities are contradictory.

5) New Layout is pretty confusing for me, its really taking a lot of getting used to, also being picky here, but the dark grey for unselected players would be better if it could just be a shade or 2 lighter.

6) I have had players reacting to other players individual teamtalks, which is really wierd, also many player reactions dont seem to make sense.

7) Game speed is terrible with lots of leagues loaded even on top end PC's

8) With a small squad at stalybridge, I seem to never have injuries, even when a player is injured during a match. Hopefully this is just luck rather than by design.

9) Too many pre-match press conferences (i.e. every game) for unimportant games

10) Press conference tone doesnt appear to make a blind bit of difference. I've resorted to just doing everything in "assertive". I wish the game would remember the last value selected in order that I dont need to select it every press conference.

Gotta say I was initially very disappointed about the skin, given that the FM12 light skin was genuinely painful, but this one is much better than I initially expected. Perhaps some of the lighter areas could be toned down a bit, but overall its certainly usable for long periods of time.

I've played much more than half a season and the problems are most definately there. To a point when it's difficult to play, which i'm not at the moment as it's just not fun. Add that to impossible font and skin colour and it's a big no for me.

Fine. There are plenty on here that will play two games and see something happen twice and decide its an issue. Most of my goals are coming from shots parried by the keeper, I'm not getting any joy down the wings :D

Archived