*Football Manager 13 Pre-Order Beta Official Feedback Thread* - Keep it all in here please

For some reason with my 442 tactic, my defenders have scored 4 goals out of 6 goals in my 2 matches so far in the 1st season. Europa League 3rd qualification round. My Tactics ...

Crossing - Default

Defensive Line - Push Up

Roaming - More Roaming

My DL (Enrique) & DR (Johnson) are supporting the wingers.

Counter Attack & Play Offside - Both YES

Corners - 6 Yard Box

Free Kicks - To Best Header

Throw Ins - Long

Anyone else getting plenty of goals from their defenders? DC (Coates & Carragher)

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone help with these queries:

Playing FMC on windowed mode, I cant see my tactic on the tactic overview screen. Also Offside isnt viewable on the team tab and no scroller is present to access it.

Where are staff responsibilities playing FMC?

I have seen (through my brief read) that only head of staffs are visible. However, how do I go about scouting more than just 1 area? Obviously my head scout can only be in one place at once.

Are classic tactics not available? I thought this was 'classic' FM. In all the old version of CM/FM I played, the tactics creator was not there but now we HAVE to use it. What sense does that make?

It looks like it isnt possible to retrain a players position. Is this correct? Again, this seems to not be true to 'classic' fm where this was possible in many earlier ediitions. Re-training position is fundamental to the way people manage and isnt unnecessary admin even for the most casual of gamer.

Under shortlist, what is the 'development list'?

Why on finances do we only get an overview? I would like to know where I am losing money (if I am) and where I am making money (if I am).

It seems this is actually a dumbed down version of FM rather than 'FM Classic'.

Can someone help with these queries:

Playing FMC on windowed mode, I cant see my tactic on the tactic overview screen. Also Offside isnt viewable on the team tab and no scroller is present to access it.

Where are staff responsibilities playing FMC?

I have seen (through my brief read) that only head of staffs are visible. However, how do I go about scouting more than just 1 area? Obviously my head scout can only be in one place at once.

Are classic tactics not available? I thought this was 'classic' FM. In all the old version of CM/FM I played, the tactics creator was not there but now we HAVE to use it. What sense does that make?

It looks like it isnt possible to retrain a players position. Is this correct? Again, this seems to not be true to 'classic' fm where this was possible in many earlier ediitions. Re-training position is fundamental to the way people manage and isnt unnecessary admin even for the most casual of gamer.

Under shortlist, what is the 'development list'?

Why on finances do we only get an overview? I would like to know where I am losing money (if I am) and where I am making money (if I am).

It seems this is actually a dumbed down version of FM rather than 'FM Classic'.

It is true that the name FM Classic is absurd, given that it is brand new

No, they really, really wouldn't

If they would get paid more or if the quality of living in the new country was higher they most definitely would. This is just a hardcoded hack IMO. The transfer market was already completely unrealistic ignoring the number one motivator and that is money.

I have to agree with the crappy player issue. Almost every game the opposition goalkeeper playing like he is casillas or neuer and my goalkeeper, handanovic, despite rated 4 star is playing like ****. The opposition players also have insane ability to deliver a cross (somehow no one in my team defend :( ) or scoring from more than 20 yards.

The new UI is good, but what bothers me is the selection now moves to the upper right. Now every time I click on a player I have to move my mouse to the upper right, which is farer and not as efficient as the selection menus in FM12.

Apart from these, I am enjoying the games. I will have to leave for a week to travel before I can play again :(

The opposition players also have insane ability to deliver a cross (somehow no one in my team defend :( ) or scoring from more than 20 yards.

Seems most of the goals im conceding are like this, also my full backs are getting terrible ratings each game no matter what i do

If they would get paid more or if the quality of living in the new country was higher they most definitely would. This is just a hardcoded hack IMO. The transfer market was already completely unrealistic ignoring the number one motivator and that is money.

If this was true, then real life BSS/BSN would be 100% foreign players. The fact that it is around 1% shows what is more realistic. In FM, most players will not leave their native land, families and jobs to play semi-pro football for less than a living wage. Some players are willing to move for an inflated wage, and a handful (mostly those who have played in England before) are willing to sign for "normal" wages. That is much, much better and more realistic and it leads to a closer alignment with real squads. If anything, there are still a few too many non-local players over time, but it is much closer to reality now.

On the position strength screen I've got the Sweeper and DC on top of each other, if I click on it I only get the sweeper strength, no DC strength. Anyone else getting this?

Same here, if you start at GK you can tab through the positions as a workaround.

First off I'd like to say it seems a big improvement over last year.

One thing I've noticed is that wingers seem to always try and cut in and shoot from ridiculous angles. At first I thought they were low crosses across the 6 yard box but after reading the commentary, it seems they just love a shot on goal, no matter how unrealistic.

Also my fullbacks seem to hate tackling but that might just be because they are bad...

I'll try and get a video tonight when I get in.

Same here, if you start at GK you can tab through the positions as a workaround.

Yes. You can also click on the DC position from the Team Report, which will bring you the DC Position Strength.

I think moving to the 'widget' style UI is a good step that will improve the UI in the long term. The in-game widgets could be improved though, as the non-text elements (the minimize and 'customize' buttons, and the 'whitespace' around the edges) take up too much space relatively. At least at higher resolutions. I can re-size my Match Stats box quite small, but these elements take up almost a quarter of the widget at the smallest size, which could be better used for displaying actual stats.

Also, another vote for dark skin, or at least the ability to specify background colours in preferences, not just foreground text.

Friday morning and FM13 is STILL not appearing in my Steam library. And now some people are suggesting I need some code (which I was told previously I didn't need, and do not have) to activate it? This isn't true, is it?

This really is shockingly bad. I've paid money to have access to the beta, and I don't. That's just not right.

Friday morning and FM13 is STILL not appearing in my Steam library. And now some people are suggesting I need some code (which I was told previously I didn't need, and do not have) to activate it? This isn't true, is it?

This really is shockingly bad. I've paid money to have access to the beta, and I don't. That's just not right.

Ok lets start from the top...

You bought through steam? If so, you dont need a code, it should be in your library. If you bought from anywhere else you should have been sent a code. Regardless of what people have been telling you, it is simple. Bought through steam app or website = no code. Anywhere else = code. If you bought from anywhere else and don't have a code, call the retailer, it is their fault.

At risk of being patronising, are you 100% sure your steam library is showing 'All Games' and not 'Installed' or some other subgroup?

Do you have a steam receipt?

Like what i have seen so far. Having difficulties in finding the information i need since you keep moving it around. E.g. getting to a players prefered moves now suddenly seems very difficult to find. That would be my suggestion: stop moving things around between each new version of the game :(

Ok lets start from the top...

You bought through steam? If so, you dont need a code, it should be in your library. If you bought from anywhere else you should have been sent a code. Regardless of what people have been telling you, it is simple. Bought through steam app or website = no code. Anywhere else = code. If you bought from anywhere else and don't have a code, call the retailer, it is their fault.

At risk of being patronising, are you 100% sure your steam library is showing 'All Games' and not 'Installed' or some other subgroup?

Do you have a steam receipt?

Erm... I'm not entirely sure how to break this to everyone.... :o

Good things about the ME so far. The passing game and some of the attacks look really nice, even though it's a bit idiotic that even the low end teams pass the ball around like Barcelona.

Defense on the other side looks like it has made a step back. Lots of those situations where player A stands on the pitch, turns his back to opponent and player B comes casually up to him and kicks him in the back.

Goalkeepers have might a light years leap backwards. Half of the shots they deflect into the center, other half they don't even react to.

Oh and high balls, they don't even care about that, no matter how close the cross comes near them they don't even bother trying to catch it.

Another thing is, what's up with all those floating crosses on the far post ending up being missed even from 1 meters away, usually they hit the post or the bar.

Does anyone else find the player's 'information' screen looks really weird now?

I can't get used to the new layout/format of it.

Is there anyway to change it back to the old-style information screen, instead of the new 'profile styled' layout?

I've checked in settings/interface.. but there are only options to change the player screen, team screen and competition screen.

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

can the beta be installed on more than one computer? I wanna download it here at work :D

It's linked to your Steam profile, so you'll need to install steam on the other PC and then download the beta again.

It is highly recommended that you don't have both PCs running at the same time (or at least Steam running on both PCs) as that could result in your account being locked and losing all the games you have on Steam.

Has anyone encountered any problems regarding the system specs of the new game? Ik read (a couple of pages back) that someone encountered a very slow FM13 running only 4 leagues where before he ran 40+ leagues with ease in FM12 on the same machine, and one getting one star where FM12 gave him 4,5 star for the same amount of leagues loaded. My machine is not what you call state of the art and FM12 tends to get quite slow after about 10 seasons in game running only a couple of countries/leagues at a time (using add/remove league when skipping countries). Also my netbooks internal graphics card isnt that great so in FM12 match action got jerky every now and then (therefore I watch in classic 2D and only show replays in 3D). I get by with my machine, try to run as few leagues as possible and using 3d engine only for replays. I wonder if FM13 is much more demanding or if I should be able to play it the same way I was used to in FM12. I ordered a boxed copy already and I hope I wont have to buy a new machine just to play FM13.

Anyone noticed big differences in processing speed between FM12 and FM13 on the same machine?

Thanx

Am having major slow down issues, having to wait 5-10 minutes in game processing and i've never had this before. My PC is 5 star rated and in FM 2012 it whizzed through. It's almost unplayable. Also why has the progress bar when processing been removed?

• Administrators

Shouldn't be a massive difference between performance for FM12 and FM13 so if you feel you're encountering slowdown issues please post in the technical issues forum and make us aware. Forums are here - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/295-Crashes-and-Technical-Issues

Minor issue, but when I am doing a player search and scrolling down the list of players, I select one, have a look at his stats, then click back.........it reverts to the top of the player search again. In the past when I would go back it would be at the same point of the search that I left. Just annoying having to scroll down and find where I was again.

Hope that makes sense!

• Administrators
dont know if this mentioned earlier in the thread, is there/will there be some kind of instruction manual for the game? specifically the new training module.only mastered training on fm12 now its all changed :(
There's a tutorial if you go to 'New Game' -> 'Tutorial' and failing that we're hoping to have the updated manual released soon. Thanks.

Started playing the game last night, with the initial impression being a comparison with how I played FM12.

1) Tactics

FM 12

I created my own tactic (4-1-2-3) and had pretty good success with top european teams like Arsenal, Anzhi (maybe not top but they had a lot of money), AC Milan. I was either winning the league or the champions league, playing possession, attacking football.

FM13

Started off with PSG (having bought Gotze and Dzagoev) using the same tactic from FM12 and in my first 7 games (4 of which were at home) I scored 2 goals and conceded 12, and I wasn't playing possession, attacking football. That was being played by the opposition (teams like Ajaccio, Bastia, Bordeaux etc).

The opposition would run down the line, cross it in and score, be it by head or foot against Thiago Silva and Alex. My full backs are Van der Wiel and Tremounilas, who are not world class, but it's a bit odd that they get skinned game in game out regardless of opposition.

Outcome:

I think my tactics definitely need to be tweaked, but it does seem a bit odd that the same tactics with top players which allowed me to win most games in FM12, is now losing most in FM13.

2) 3D Match View

FM 12

I really liked the Director Cam in FM 12.

FM13

With the Director Cam I can't quite tell where the ball ends up when someone takes a shot at goal, I have to look at the commentary bar to see if it was a goal or not, so I have had to switch to elevated view, which is a shame, as it's not as engaging.

Also the game starts to pause a lot during the second half, making it hard to watch the game.

I have a 2.2GHZ processor with 4GB RAM running on Vista, and even though FM is the only application running (with 1.5GB RAM free), quite a few games start to crawl in the second half.

I am only running the top flight leagues in England, France, Spain, Italy.

Next step

Gotta try to figure out a tactic that will allow me to play possession, attacking football which wins games.

Ok Neil, thanx for your assurance.

And btw, vista tends to slow things up whatever you youse your pc for, mahanhz. I went back to XP after a year of annoyance and seem to have a different machine all together.

Had a quick play of the beta this morning and so far think it looks really good. Will just need to get used to the new placement of lots of the links.

Just a question, the search box that used to be in the top right of the screen (in FM 2012) that now sits under the magnifying glass, is there a away to add it to the main screen (so I don't need to do an extra click every time I want to use it?)?

Also, in the same vein, is there a way to get the calendar bar back at the top of the screen (like FM 2012) instead of one click away?

Thanks

• Administrators
Minor issue, but when I am doing a player search and scrolling down the list of players, I select one, have a look at his stats, then click back.........it reverts to the top of the player search again. In the past when I would go back it would be at the same point of the search that I left. Just annoying having to scroll down and find where I was again.Hope that makes sense!
If you don't mind could you please raise this in the bugs forum under UI issues? Thanks :)

Archived