ri916's FM13 Anglo/Euro Youth Academy Challenge

Wow, lots of updates to get stuck into!

Braumiller - good to see some quality youth coming through, bodes well for the future!

Shakes - Two good consolidating seasons, and Nightingale especially looks promising.

XaW - Paulo, Plojovic and Engel especially look quality - your youths in general make me jealous!

Tactic Master - Good luck in Belgium, Lasage looks pretty good for that level!

Alfsmalf - Great work on reaching the playoffs in the first season :thup:

Avangard Kursk currently sit three points from safety at the winter break - we'll need to come back fit and firing if we are to stay up!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep going Shakes decent effort there and in my eyes that first youth intake you had dosen't seem to bad to me, Wheeldon looks a good all-rounder and not a bad debut season considering he is just 16. The two left wingers aren't the worst, at least they are different styles, with Holsgrove being a more technical one (could possible retrain to M/AMR and have him cutting inside so he dosen't need pace perhaps?) and Dunne the quicker of the two.. I like the look of Nightingale, good technical and mental ability there. Good luck next season, if it's midtable again could always really give the youths a chance if you can afford a few losses and really see if any step up.

KUTGW all, will be joining you all pretty shortly I expect, still not particularly thrilled with the ME.

Shakes - Keep going mate and i'm sure it wont take long for your yongsters to kick start their careers, because from my experience with this challenge from last year, playing week in week out really builds up their CA very fast!

I tell you something guys, i'll be glad when my youth intake comes through, i'm stuck with greyed out players on he bench! got 17 players and greyed keeper at full strength, but injuries could destroy our season :(

Well, the Kursk dream is over :(

Second season syndrome really kicked in, and we were always struggling to pull clear of the five relegation places. It may well be that I got rid of the old guard too soon and focused on the prospects too early - lessons learned I think.

Anyway, not to be put off, I'm starting again in the sunnier climes of Spain :)

Cheers aldojags! It is a difficult challenge, but it has really got me into FM13 when I was struggling to find a save to hold my interest...

UD_Marbella_escudo.jpg

Off to sunny Spain I go, and the holiday hotspot of Marbella. Possibly most famous as one of Carl Cort's former employers (:eek:), they seem to have a decent infrastructure and reasonable expectations of 11th. Squad is a bit thin, and there are only two players in the under-18s at present. Still, if I last more than two seasons I'll be happy :D

Found out about this challenge a few weeks ago while trawling the forums for FM 13 information - it looks a definite step up from Dafuge's challenge!

Currently holidaying through first season in England, will update from my new club office shortly :)

In a surprise move, Whitehawk FC have appointed relatively unknown Australian Cal Pottsworthy as manager for their upcoming debut season in the Blue Square Bet South. While not a household name to many Hawks fans, it is understood Pottsworthy enjoyed a noteworthy virtual career with AFC Wimbledon before seeking a new challenge further south.

In an encouraging statement for young Hawks supporters, Pottsworthy has declared that his reign will be notable for a singular focus on products from the club's youth team. Though the club does not possess quality facilities at present, the Board were excited by Pottsworthy's long-term plan.

May I ask why we are not allowed to use grey players? Seems odd to me considering they have came through the club clearly, and that I don't think they are ever very good...

Anyway's I'm holidaying now, Will be in England, no real clue who to manage, will wait and see who jumps out at me.

Lewes_F.C._logo.png

2015/16 - Blue Square Bet South - 6th

Certainly we were better performed this year, with the second best goal difference in the division. However we spent much of the year just out of touch with the playoffs, and when we did finally manage to force our way into the playoff spots we promptly lost 4 of our next 5 games spoiling all our hard work. Still it came down to our last game, playing the dead last team at home, a win would have put us into the playoffs and we could only draw. :(

We made a short run in the FA Cup, falling just short of making it through to the first round proper, while in the FA trophy we somehow lost to an 8th tier team.

Similar pattern again with the youth intake, the best of these should turn out to be good players but I think I need to swap my head of youth development for a defensive guy, after 3 years of having an attacking guy we're getting a bit imbalanced!

Our squad is developing well,the young guys have taken over, whether from the intakes or there before I started.

2014/15 debut players:

• 14a Wheeldon - ST - Probably our best player now, 15 goals and 14 assists was a great return.
  • 14b Holsgrove - ML - Was looking pretty good until he was again sidelined with a long term injury.
  • 14c Warner - MR/DR - Again showed being all physicals no longer dominates lower leagues in the new match engine. Good potential still to improve.
  • 14d Nightingale - MC - Got himself snet off in his first two games. Recovered to have a solid year without really being spectacular.
  • 14e Wilkinson - DC/MC - Not totally convincing as a DC but with few defensive options coming through will continue to get a chance.
  • 14f Dunne - ML - Claimed the left wing for himself, a real success story for the season.
  • 14g Flood - GK - Didn't play as the incumbent was on form. Might just throw him in next year because his potential is good.
  • 14h Dudley - ST - Didn't really impress, with the number of striker options we have needs to show something next year to justify being given further chances.
  • 14i Daniels - MR - Sucked early and didn't get any more chances.

New players:

• 15a Hemsley (Report) - MC/DC - Got his chance through injury to our midfield, did well enough.
  • 15b Mean (Report) - ST/ML - Had a couple of chances up front when our strikers needed a rest, future should be on the left wing though.
  • 15c Barker (Report) - DR/DL - Young full back didn't really set the world on fire but has great potential.
  • 15d Oliver (Report) - ST - A few mostly sub appearances towards the end of the year, hard to judge him on them.

Next Year

After this year anything less than a playoff position would be a disappointment. Most of the players have improvement left in them, so here's no reason they can't do better.

[b]Season    Tier   League    FA Cup   FA Trophy
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b]
[url="http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/319117-ri916-s-FM13-Anglo-Euro-Youth-Academy-Challenge?p=8216314&viewfull=1#post8216314"]2013/14[/url]   BSS   [url="http://i.imgur.com/jcwRQ.jpg"] 14th [/url]    [url="http://i.imgur.com/QmYE4.jpg"] 2nd Q  [/url] [url="http://i.imgur.com/awyar.jpg"] 2nd Rnd[/url]
[url="http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/319117-ri916-s-FM13-Anglo-Euro-Youth-Academy-Challenge?p=8220055&viewfull=1#post8220055"]2014/15[/url]   BSS    [url="http://i.imgur.com/liPPu.jpg"]15th[/url]      [url="http://i.imgur.com/GRwWi.jpg"]2nd Q[/url]    [url="http://i.imgur.com/sY4uO.jpg"]3rd Q[/url]
2015/16   BSS     [url="http://i.imgur.com/s0ZM1.jpg"]6th      [/url][url="http://i.imgur.com/6iEgX.jpg"]4th Q[/url]    [url="http://i.imgur.com/gtKKs.jpg"]3rd Q[/url]

Some great progress there Shakes!

Good luck ElSmurfo & Steboyuk

A couple of write-ups due here, got carried away with the game and have been slacking in the update department. Boss is out today, so I should get a chance to write it up :D

evlogo.gif

Excelsior Veldwezelt

Season 6 Review (2018-19)

Season 6 (2018-19)

The start of the strikerless era :)

All things considered I would call this a successful season! A 5th place finish (2nd best ever league position for the club), missing out on the playoffs by a single point (and finishing the league going LLD) left a slightly sour note, but considering the changes from top to bottom I was happy.

The brightest spot of the season was the development of Nirmal Hmar (YP 4a). Despite my best attempts to put him into a creative role, he scored 19 goals in 35 appearances, with just 2 assists (what a tactical genius I am! He did almost the opposite of what I set out for him to do!).

While this was fantastic, the formation is definitely still a work in progress. Great runs of results are tempered by some bad stretches where nothing seems to go right.

League Table

Weekly League Positions

Competition History

Season   Year   Division  Pos  Pld  Won   Drw   Lst  For  Ag   GD  Pts  Belgian Cup
  6   2018-19     2       5    34   16    7    11    49  37   12   55    5th Rnd
  5   2017-18     2       9    34   12    9    13    48  47    1   45    6th Rnd
  4   2016-17     2      11    34   11   10    13    41  48   -7   43    7th Rnd
  3   2015-16     2       3    34   15   11     8    49  39   10   56    5th Rnd
  2   2014-15     2       8    34   11   11    12    47  52   -5   44    6th Rnd
  1   2013-14     3A      1    34   18    7     9    61  36   25   61    4th Rnd

The YOUTH INTAKE was a decent bunch, although none truely jump out at me.

Benoit Bodart (YP 6a) obviously has potential, but he as well as some positional retraining being needed he has no presence about him currently.

Jasper Steegmans (YP 6b) looks nice, but he is stuck behind one of my best players at the DR spot. Hoping to get him out on loan for 1st team experience.

Interesting note for those beginning the challenge and frustrated by the initial lack of good potential youths.

Ruben Eerdekens has been called up to the Belgian u19s, despite only being viewed as 2* potential in my season 4 intake. Another 2* potential youth from that class is showing signs on higher potential too. Will report on him when/if he fulfills it.

Nice result from a loan for Driss Afkir (YP 4a)! Young player of the year for Division 3A.

Additional Screenshots

Finances

Season Ending Squad Stats

Transfers

Belgium Club Reputations

Season 7 Targets

* Challenge for play off spot

* Improve on our 460 tactic

evlogo.gif

Excelsior Veldwezelt

Season 7 Review (2019-20)

Season 7 (2019-20)

Tactical uncertainty leads to too much tinkering.

My unease with the overall performance of the original 460 tactic led me to tinker for much of the season, which I have no doubts affected us this season. Still we finished in 6th, one spot ahead of predictions and a lot more comforting was the continued maturation of several of our young prospects. In fact, Aziana Nsigni (YP 5e) came into the side due to injuries early in the season and never looked back, eventually picking up the Fans Player of the Season award! An average rating of 7.38 for the DC over his 31 games was beyond everyones wildest dreams and the 18 year old is now a fixture on the teamsheet. This emergence and the fantastic main youth intake player this season has lead to what I am hoping will be the finally tactic tinker for a while, a move to a 550 formation! I now have 4 DCs who I would happily start in any game, so this move should help with squad management as well as improved performances (based on a small subset of games at the end of the year, including a thumping 3-0 win against the runaway league winners).

Youth Intake

After 3 years of pleasing intakes, many of the players from them now regular first teamers, I received what I would term my first 'wow' youth.

Meet David Vranken (YP 7a) - Report. A first team ready 16 year old DC (who incidentally and oddly is competent at MR too!) who I REALLY like the look of. He is already physically ready for action (which a lot of my kids are not) and his central defender type stats are great too! Truth be told, I am also kind of looking towards potentially retraining him as a Ball Winning Midfielder type MC due to my wealth of DC talent and relative lack of any true MCs going forward.

League Table

Weekly League Positions

Competition History

Season   Year   Division  Pos  Pld  Won   Drw   Lst  For  Ag   GD  Pts  Belgian Cup
  7   2019-20     2       6    34   15    8    11    46  40    6   53    4th Rnd
  6   2018-19     2       5    34   16    7    11    49  37   12   55    5th Rnd
  5   2017-18     2       9    34   12    9    13    48  47    1   45    6th Rnd
  4   2016-17     2      11    34   11   10    13    41  48   -7   43    7th Rnd
  3   2015-16     2       3    34   15   11     8    49  39   10   56    5th Rnd
  2   2014-15     2       8    34   11   11    12    47  52   -5   44    6th Rnd
  1   2013-14     3A      1    34   18    7     9    61  36   25   61    4th Rnd

So, will the 550 finally prove to be the tactic that sticks!?

Here is how the current base formation

amc amc amc
    mc mc
wbl         wbr
  dc dc dc
     gk

Other Screenshots

Finances

Transfers

Season End Squad Stats

Season 8 Targets

* Challenge for play off spot - the board are still only targeting a top half finish but in our 7th season in Division 2 I really want to make that next step

* Settle down with the tactical changes, pioneer the 550 :D

what does KUTGW mean

Keep Up The Good Work

You really don't play without any strikers braumiller?

Nope. One of my AMCs bombs forward when in possession to play as quasi-forward, one definitely gets forward but not above all else and one sits in the hole and tries to pull the strings but nope no forwards.

In my season 7 review I just posted, I put the current formation I am playing in there for you to see.

A slight backwards type of season their Braumiller, but as you say, the players are now maturing which can only be a good sign and that central defender looks an absolute beast! Congratulations on producing such a talent! I think despite the backwards step, you will only be moving forwards in he coming season!

The fact that I knew Kursk had the potential to have a better stab at this challenge really. Last time I cleared iut the older players far too quickly, which meant that the younger players had to produce straight away. There were a load of promising youngsters that came through, and I just didn't get the same feeling for Marbella. I think I actually love this team, which is weird!

The fact that I knew Kursk had the potential to have a better stab at this challenge really. Last time I cleared iut the older players far too quickly, which meant that the younger players had to produce straight away. There were a load of promising youngsters that came through, and I just didn't get the same feeling for Marbella. I think I actually love this team, which is weird!

Whatever makes you enjoy the challenge :) Good luck again!

So I thought for my first long term game on FM13 i'd give this challenge a try. Was given a choice of a few interesting teams.

I decided to eventually choose Kettering Town as my team. Here's my Profile Info page.

KetteringLogo.jpg

Their facilities are rather decent for a newly promoted team, however from what i have seen this is gonna have a negative effect on financial state of the club. So could prove a problem.

The squad from first impressions looks impressive, however they look thin on depth in center midfield and left back. Squad 1 - Squad 2

All in all I think the team is more than capable of hitting the media prediction of 14th, its just the financial side of it that worries me a lot.

Well after VERY slow progress (been busy recently) I finally managed to play halfway through the third season to the Christmas break, and in the aftermath of a takeover from a local businessman, I was sacked. I was sitting comfortably mid-table with players returning so I'm not quite sure why but hey ho I move on. I'll probably start this challenge up again in the next week or so and may look to manage somewhere else.. Spain perhaps?

Edit: Just read through the updates and saw that TM took over at URN. Hope you can have better success with them than me. There are some good players in that team, I just struggled to find a formation that used them all and provided good results. Good luck! :thup:

Cambridge_City_F.C.jpg

After an exciting, humbling, and oft-times frustrating season at Whitehawk, manager Cal Pottsworthy has done what many recently retrenched managerial staff have done in the current economic climate: gone back to school.

To tide over his passion for the world game whilst broadening his educational horizons at famed University of Cambridge, Pottsworthy has been appointed as manager of local club Cambridge City F.C. After decades of playing second fiddle to their cross-town rivals, the Lilywhites are hoping Pottsworthy's as-yet unproven youth-only culture pays dividends for the club. If not, Cambridge City supporters are content in the knowledge that their Cambridge-branded degrees will make up for any on-field failures of their beloved team.

Round Two!

SV_Waldhof_Mannheim_0.gif

XaW - SVW Mannheim - 2. Bundesliga - 2017/18

Table | Past positions | Transfers | Squad | Finances

Oh so close! Even as he had a very good season we have had one major problems this season; scoring. It improved towards the end of the season, but after 20 games we had only scored 23 goal! We usually created loads of chances, but our strikers have struggled to find the net while the rest of the team haven't contributed as much as I had hoped for. Defensibly, however, we did very well as both defense and goalkeeper proved why they should play. Our biggest problem with defense is speed. The central defenders are a bit to slow, but they are much better than the rest I have available yet. We have some promising defenders coming through soon, but as of yet they aren't good enough. I was hoping for promotion this season and we were close, so next season we should have a proper chance I think.

In the DFB-Pokal we managed to beat Borea Dresden in the first round before losing a 4-5 match at home to Frankfurt in the second round.

Youth Intake:

This years youth intake. Improved quite a bit and a couple of interesting players.

Initial youngsters:

João Paulo (YP0a) - A bit disappointed about his play this season. Only 9 goals as the main striker isn't as good as he is able to.

Federico Gómez (TP0b) - Still trying to get his quickness improved, but haven't progressed much. Played some matches and did well enough.

Vito Libertini (YP0d) - Out on loan, but didn't play.

Robert Huber (YP0e) - Decent season. Scored a couple of goals and did well.

Intake 1:

Bruno Russo (YP1a) - Got some matches this season, but still needs to improve.

Heniz Höferth (YP1b) - 2 matches as a sub and keeps improving.

Felix Schuler (YP1c) - Good season from our first choice at left back.

Admir Plojovic (YP1d) - Maybe our best player. Still I'm hoping for more from him.

Hans Veiß (YP1e) - Need to improve or else his YP-tag might disappear.

Eugen Henel (YP1f) - A very good season and even scored some goals.

Floran Wagner (TP1g) - Great season. Scored quite a bit as well.

Fuat Yilmaz (YP1h) - Mainly a sub this season, but didn't impress when he got his chances.

Bastian Krämer (YP1i) - A good season, not many mistakes, but still needs to get better.

Andy Behrend (YP1j) - Backup for the first team. Scored two goals in a game, both freak crosses that became goal.

Pierangelo Varacalli (YP1k) - A good season, much thanks to his speed.

Andreas Bauer (former YP1l) - Horrible season. Lost his YP-tag.

Intake 2:

Sven Reith (YP1a) - Got a couple of matches as a sub and even scored in the final game of the season.

Prince Doudu (YP2b) - Did well in a season stopped short by injuries. Needs to score more goals.

Nikolay Gorbunov (YP2c) - Need to step up his game if want to keep the YP-tag.

Marvin Fießer (YP2d) - Out on loan this season and did fantastic. Should challenge for the first team next season.

Giorgos Karathanasis (former YP2e) - Lost his YP-tag.

Felix Männel (YP2f) - Got some matches as a sub, but still needs to improve.

Smaïlia Tawali (YP2g) - Last chance to keep his YP-tag next season.

Senijad Salihovic (YP2h) - Got a couple of matches and would have gotten more if he didn't get injured.

Marvin Wenzel (YP2i) - Out on loan, but didn't get to play.

Erdinç Dündar (YP2j) - Out on loan, but didn't get to play.

Intake 3:

Jan Engel (YP3a) - Good season for the U19s. Should be old enough at the start of next season.

Tom Baum (YP3b) - Need to step up his game or he is losing his YP-tag.

Intake 4:

Tolgahan Erdem (YP4a) - Improving well. Might get some gametime when he is old enough.

Robert Hopp (YP4b) - Progressing very good. Could become a first team player.

Danny Hinkel (YP4c) - Improving still. If he keeps on working good he could become a great player.

Alexander Zimmermann (YP4d) - Still needs much work.

New intake:

Askin Evirgen (YP5a) - Report - Very talented and technical midfielder. Could be exciting to see his progress.

Maximilian Franke (YP5b) - Report - Yep, another defensive midfielder. Talented too!

Christopher Reilly (YP5c) - Report - Young Irish left back. Good talent.

Ugur Kurt (YP5d) - Report - Seems like a decent talent.

Season	  League	  Position	Cup		Europe		Achievments
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/14	 3. Fußball liga  15th		N/A		N/A		Survived
2014/15	 3. Fußball liga  5th		N/A		N/A		N/A
2015/16	 3. Fußball liga  2nd		1st rnd		N/A		Promotion
2016/17	 2. Bundesliga	  5th		1st rnd		N/A		N/A
2017/18  2. Bundesliga	  4th		2nd rnd		N/A		N/A

Had great fun in Holland last year, but the lack of league depth put me off a little from trying again. Looked a lot at going in Russia, but again only 2 leagues so..........off to Portugal i go :)

SC Salgueiros 08

SC_Salgueiros_08.jpg

Somewhat of a "phoenix" club, Salgueiros 08 formed from the ashes of S.C. Salguerios - a team who whilst they didnt have a huge record of success, can boast names such as Deco and Ricardo Sa Pinto amongst their former players. The new club has risen through the local and regional leagues and now takes its place in the Portugese Portugese Second Division South.

With a squad which is thin, but not lacking experience (5 members of the squad over the age of 35!) it will be hard going. The board, amazingly, expect a top half finish! We dont have a stadium, instead ground sharing with Padroense (who are in the north league....).

I think the squad is enough to stay in the division, but meeting the board expectations is going to be tough....

Manager Profile

Starting to really enjoy this new 5-5-0 formation! :)

Example of the football being played.

Opening goal in a 3-1 win, Nirmal Hmar (YP 4a) drops deep twice to pick up the ball and pull strings (he is playing as an Advanced Playmaker - Attack) and makes a nice late run into the box to sweep home a nice finish.

Cameo appearance from David Vranken YP 7a in his new Ball Winning Midfielder - Defend roll he is currently learning :)

NOTE - needs bumping in quality to see better

[video=youtube;lkYIkB0RoiU]

SC Salgueiros 08

LOGOSCS081600.jpg

Season 1 - 2013/14

Final position - Portugese 2nd division south - 10th

League Table

Past positions

Overview

Was worried about being able to keep up with board expectations this first season. We had a large number of ageing players, and a squad that wasnt too flexible in terms of positions. With no pre-existing youths, depth wasnt great either. Original plan was to play 4411, but the fact that both our right wingers could only play AMR and no MR led to an asymetric 4321 (basically 4411 with the MR pushed up to AMR). After losing 4 of our first 5, i was already looking into cheap flights out of portugal..........however somehow we turned it round and won 4 on the bounce after that. We then settled into my traditional pattern of consistent inconsitency.....never looked in danger, but never threatened the top half. 4 wins from our last 7 secured 10th place, just enough to hold onto my job against board expectations of "top half".....

Best players

Quim - Our veteran striker, clearly past his best and slower than a week in jail, but still popped up with enough usefull goals. With no great strikers coming through, need to try and squeeze another year out of him......

Luca - our best midfielder and main source of assists. Never going to be great, but enough about him and a reasonable age to make him a solid player for a few years

Couto - Channeling his name sake and FM legend Fernando Couto, he was a rock at the back. A beast in the air, and not past his best yet.

Youth intake

Really happy with this. Of course tempered by the fact that my Ass Man is useless, so his judgement of the players could be all wrong.....but in theory enough to really pad out the squad, with a few who have the potential to be good players in the league above. Bodes well. Signed every single one of the intake:thup:

2 get the YP tag:

YP01a - Anselmo Boissy - Not fast, but has the makings of a good centre back. LIkely to be thrown in the deep end as we need a partner for Couto

YP01b - Ruben Chastre - We have no other DM in the squad, and he looks very promising. Will see some playing time right away, as we need a DM in the formation to make us more solid

Transfers - Clean as a whistle.......

Next season aims

1)Consolidate - Board expects top half again, if i can make 8th or 9th il be delighted. We are no where near ready to go up

2)Develop youth - 4 of our over 35's have announced this will be their last seasons, so we are in for a big turn over. Need the youths ready for next year!

3)Finances/facilities - made a loss last year despite low wages and no transfers. Maybe a couple of rounds in cup might bring in some income but making cash in FM13 seems very hard

Quick question XaW, and to anyone else who could help my general ignorance, but how would I go about adding my club logo to my posts? It seems to come up with an error (that I don't have permission to add the photo) every time I try. Also, how do you add the season progression code at the bottom of your post?

I may be getting ahead of myself, but when things do finally start to click I'd love my season updates to be as interesting as the others here.

Oh, and KUTGW :)

Quick question XaW, and to anyone else who could help my general ignorance, but how would I go about adding my club logo to my posts? It seems to come up with an error (that I don't have permission to add the photo) every time I try. Also, how do you add the season progression code at the bottom of your post?

I may be getting ahead of myself, but when things do finally start to click I'd love my season updates to be as interesting as the others here.

No problem.

For the images, use the code [**IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img823/8964/evlogo.gif[/img**]

(Remove the two sets of **'s and replace the URL of the logo with wherever you find your clubs (Wikipedia, Imageshack if you upload one like I did, etc....)

For the code piece,

use the tags [**CODE] & [/code**] and anything inbetween them will be kept in text format. (Again, remove the **'s)

I write my season progression stuff in Notepad and space it out nicely, and then copy and paste in inbetween the CODE tags

:thup:

I suspect when you try and add the image file, your leaving the check box about "reference locally" checked - Uncheck that and it will work

Jambo98, well done on a decent first season, keep it up, i'm sure you will be in the mix next season!

Braumiller, loving the football style mate! It's similar to mine I think, maybe I should post up a goal sometime :D

As for me, i've just reached 18th March and received my youth players which i so desired just for a bit of width in the team and take the bucket load of some of our more talented players! All will be revealed in the end of season report.

Archived