ri916's FM13 Anglo/Euro Youth Academy Challenge

After a long Hiatus, I shall return with my FC United save to finish what I started.

For those who don't know, I've made it to the Prem and survived my first season there. Curently in my third season, will update on both once I finish this one.

Excellent new TGT. Looking forward to the update :thup:

Damn, the beta needs to hurry up so I can start my FM14 youth only adventure back in England! Jealous

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Delighted to see Shakes taking Real even further - they were brilliant fun to play as, and I quite enjoyed only 30 games in the top league in Portugal (helps with a small squad).

I kind of gave up on them (read rage quit) after my last champions league exit, was on a 33 match unbeaten run, up 3-2 going into the home leg of the first knockout round - dominated the game but somehow ended up down 3-1 with the aggregate loss coming off a GK own goal. :( I still have the half played season that I haven't touched in a couple of months. Maybe I'll play out the season and go for one more go around now I've had time to not be so pissed off about it.

My update will hopefully come tomorrow now that I have finished the season, but this simply couldn't wait:

dddd7d890572b4c77ff3b8c1d44e5112.png

My first youth player is set to retire. He played in every level of the Pyramid and only started struggling in the Championship. His presence in the team will be missed and I hope he becomes a good coach so I can hire him. He made 431 league appearances for the club over 17 years, from making his debut as a 15 year old to his last appearance as a 32 year old.

FC United Of Manchester-2029/2030

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJUqAAuvEGAAeVHJHQOeUIf2Z2fh5AWLfU09wXT7_pwICCZYPPfLh66ovS

League Table | Transfers(No Cheating!)

Barclays Premier League-13th

A great season in League play for us as we held our own in the Prem despite me radically changing the starting XI, with many of the stars of our promotion pushed into the bench or the reserves by players with bigger potentials.

Cups

FA Cup-We disappointingly lost 2-1 to Bristol City in the Third Round.

Capital One Cup-We beat Wrexham 2-0 in the Second Round before being smashed by Swansea 3-0.

Important Events Of The Season

We Won Our Fisrt PL Match: A 1-0 win away to Fulham, thanks to an 88th minute Abbott II goal, sent us on our way towards Survival

The First FC United-Manchester United Match: A great match, on the second matchday, saw us lose 3-2 despite Howarth's double.

Youth Player Wins European Golden Boy Award: Adam Abbott II, with his consistently impressive performances won the most coveted personal award for young players after he added to his amazing Championship season a very solid debut in the Prem.

5056e8bdfa44bdb4aad3c50115a64686.png

FC United Of Manchester-2030/2031

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJUqAAuvEGAAeVHJHQOeUIf2Z2fh5AWLfU09wXT7_pwICCZYPPfLh66ovS

League Table | Transfers(No Cheating!)

Barclays Premier League-8th

Incredible season for us as we almost managed to sneak into the EL, if it wasn't for an incredibly difficult run-in where we played very well but didn't get a single point from our last 3 games (Spurs, Liverpool, Man Utd.). Relegation was a distant thought as we 14 more points than last season despite our terrible run-in.

Cups

FA Cup-We beat Nott. Forrest 4-1 in the Third Round and Middlesborough 1-0 in the Fourth before losing to Arsenal, 1-0, in the 5th round replay.

Capital One Cup-We lost against Peterborough 4-2 as many of my players dissapointed me in the early season match.

Important Events Of The Season

We Went On Our First Tour: A Pre-Season tour of USA was a great success of the pitch as we raise our world-wide profile.

First Point Against Top Team: We tied against Arsenal 2-2 in the league with a brilliant performance. We played them twice again and Paul Mitchell is becoming their worst nightmare.

Surprise Youth Wins Shock Award: Carl Cook had only played 1 match with FC United prior to March and had failed to make an impact while on loan at the BSN or BSP. Yet, when I decided to give him a run-out at the start of the month as I rested players for the FA Cup match, he impressed a lot and earned solid minutes, with his April performances, when Abbott II was injured, nothing short of spectacular. In 5 matches, he scored 2 goals, and had an Avg. Rating of 8.16 and deservedly won the Premier League Player Of The Month. His contract was expiring and I was not going to renew it, but performances of that quality gave him a 2 year deal.

Abbott (YP1a) Retires: He retired at the age of 32. Here is his Message:

208182d79beb646624a13e5ab14bbc0b.png

Youth Intakes

This are all the players from the two Intakes at the end of this season:

Youth Intakes Part 1

Youth Intakes Part 2

Some great players in there, most noticeably Dafydd Jones, who at 16 has become a Starter for the team and Bernard Thompson, who often is a substitute in the First Team.

Goals From Last Season

• Survive. Any way possible. ACHIEVED!-In Both Seasons!
  • Make financial profit ACHIEVED-A balance of 77M and a status of "Rich" is great.
  • Utilize feeder clubs Cambridge (BSN), Bury(BSP), and AFC Wimbledon(L2) for Youngsters ACHIEVED!

Goals For Next Season

• Finish Top 10
  • Build A New Stadium
  • Give New Contracts to Top Players.

Real_Sport_Clube.png

Real Sport Clube - 2037-38

Won the treble, making it our 5th consecutive league win. Was even more comfortable than the table suggests given we lost our last two games. Champions League was a disappointment as already mentioned.

Couple of OK players in the intake, but the shorty sweeper is going to have to be retrained for midfield if he's to make an impact. Coming back to this save I remembered how much I've let the squad bloat out, going to have to sell off a few by the looks of things.

Great updates guys! toon, those are some fantastic youth intakes there recently, the future looks great :thup: What are you facilities up to now?

Since my last Excelsior Veldwezelt update and telling myself I would leave them be, I have played 3 more seasons.....

Not sure I have the willpower (or time) to screenshot everything, but I will try and get a couple and do a little write up.

A couple of notable events and maybe finally put a ribbon on the save and retire it in anticipation for FM14.

they arent my junior coaching is at its peak not sure about the rest but finally get some good ones i think its down to the fact i am in the championship because i have been at the peak of junior coaching since league 1 and well they have been not the greatest to be honest

Looking at giving this a go. A few questions on youth dev though as I've always struggled:

- How do you get the best out of training and developing youngsters?

- Why cant I get the same star ratings out of coaches w/ youth? I know there are special youth coaches but my GK coaches go from 5* to 2* when training youth.

- How do you decide who, when and what teams to loan out youth to?

- Ultimately whats the best way to get the max PA possible out of your best youngsters?

Unless they have a glaring weakness that needs improving by specific attribute training (ie that strength 1 guy needs strength training before starting the regular program), I tend to stick them onto training for the role that I think they're suited for and leave them there. Maybe you could get more out of them by being less lazy but it works OK for me. I'll also retrain players for new positions if I think they're better elsewhere - you have the players in the youth team for 3 years, there's plenty of time for them to retrain. It's easier to retrain someone to the position their stats are suited for than it is to train their stats to match their current position.

- Why cant I get the same star ratings out of coaches w/ youth? I know there are special youth coaches but my GK coaches go from 5* to 2* when training youth.

Star rating should be the same in both youth and senior coaching, only assigning someone more categories will make it go down as they're being stretched too thin.

Loaning players out is generally not worth it for development IMO. If they're good enough for your senior team they should play there, if they're not good enough they can still improve in the youth team where you have control over their training. If they're too old for the youth team and not good enough for the seniors they're not going to make it. You should be trying to sell them, loan them as a last resort to save a bit on the salary.

- Ultimately whats the best way to get the max PA possible out of your best youngsters?

Play them once they're good enough. Playing time matters more than coaches or training schedules. Don't be afraid to bump off an average older guy for a young player with potential, generally the young guy will be doing a better job than the old guy was in only a season.

Maxing CA/PA isn't the goal, maxing performance is. If you have someone who has proven themselves, hold onto them and keep playing them even if their stats don't look stellar. On the other hand if they're playing like crap don't persist with them for more than a couple of years - plenty of players have garbage hidden stats that will make them always be a liability no matter how highly the ass man rates them.

Real_Sport_Clube.png

Real Sport Clube - 2038-39

Felt like I've at least made my mark on the game world - Portugal won the world cup in 2038, with two of my players making the team of the tournament.

After winning 5 in a row the board expected no less than the title and probably fair enough. We absolutely smashed the league this year, averaging over 3 goals a game and taking it out by 22 points in the end. Pretty good considering we were practically playing a second XI in games before European competition. I think we're getting pretty close to being able to pull off an unbeaten league season, just have to be a bit less scratchy at the start.

Did better in the Champions League this year, crushing AC Milan in the first knockout round and putting up a fight against Barca, who had won the thing 4 times in the trot. Took them to extra time, and although them winning was probably a fair result, we're at least not getting blown away now. We're close to being able to do this. Unfortunately our co-efficient didn't quite get a big enough bump and we're still 9th, so just miss out on the first seeding in a group next year.

Intake again has no stand outs, seems like the first team is good enough at this point that intakes are a wait and see affair. Overall not really hurting for anything anyway, and the vast majority of our squad is young enough that we should still see some improvement from within.

Looking at giving this a go. A few questions on youth dev though as I've always struggled:

Try to improve the stats that matter for the role they will actually play. Any glaring weaknesses that are terrible for their position (Lack of tackling for a CB, for example) should be worked on until they are of a decent standard, as well as physical stats.

Maybe because they are working for BOTH senior and Youth players, their effort is spread out.

I mainly loan any player who I am not sure if he is good enough to team were he will play, regardless of what level they are in on short term loans. If they do well, I will consider sending them on a longer loan. If not, I will consider how they have improved by giving them a run-out. I also suggest you keep most youngsters at the club during pre-season unless you are 100% sure you want them to go on loan (Like a 2nd choice GK with huge potential) as some good players have surprised me and earned spots through pre-season matches

Play them when you can, and the better they play, the better. As soon as they are good enough to be back-up, try and give them run-outs from the bench with the odd start. From then on, they should improve to point of becoming starters if they have the potential.

Real_Sport_Clube.png

Real Sport Clube - 2039-40

Ended up with exactly the same league record as last year, a 25-4-1 result, only an early season loss to Porto preventing an undefeated season. Bombed out of the cup early for the first time in a long while. Still the 7th league victory in a row has put me on top of the list of managers in Portugal now.

Champions League we got a stroke of luck with Man U failing to qualify for the group phase, giving us a #1 seed. We took full advantage easily winning our group, before smashing Schalke and beating Arsenal by a more comfortable margin than the 3-2 scoreline would suggest, Arsenal collecting a very late consolation goal. This got us to our second ever Champions League semi, once again against Barcelona.

Unfortunately it came right in the middle of a big man injury crisis, with my 3 tall strikers and two best defenders out. In the end I feel that was the difference as they took a 3-2 victory. No such thing as a moral victory, but we've shown that we're no longer outclassed by anybody, if we can get healthy next year then I'll be disappointed if we don't win it.

Another so-so intake, but we're at the point we don't really need anyone - with the integration of our new 18 year old keeper this past year I think we're strong enough all over to win this. Will just be gradually introducing new faces if they prove themselves in the youth team, but it's getting tough to figure out who to dislodge to let someone new in now.

I've been handing out the squad numbers consecutively to each youth player and I've just hit #99 ... next youth player who plays for me will be the 100th, so back to #1!

Real_Sport_Clube.png

Real Sport Clube - 2040-41

Things were going smoothly until January ... goal keeper comes down with knee tendonitis, out for the rest of the season. How much did it affect us? Hard to say, but [37a] Hélder had 29 apps for 19 conceeded and 15 clean sheets, his backup [32b] Vitor Gomes had 24 apps for 27 conceeded and 7 clean sheets. Yeah, it's quite the drop off.

We still managed to win everything domestically but we ran into our bogey side Barcelona again in Europe. Same result as the past two years, we lost 3-2, we really should have won this one with them down to 10 men early on we could only manage a 1-1 draw in the away leg. Still should have been a good platform but we lost 2-1 at home ... would a different keeper have changed the result? Maybe we'll find out next year since the game seems to like drawing us against them.

Goal keeper invasion in the intake ... 5 of the buggers, wtf? Seems the days of getting stars from the intake are long gone, just have to sign the best and see what develops, haven't had a 4 star or better player in 4 years now.

Got a bunch of the older players wanting to move on to new challenges as their playing time gets nibbled away at by the younger guys, but finding it hard to just let them go. Keeping around a large squad has its drawbacks but there's always some period where a bunch of players go down with injury and I'm glad I did.

Been 20 years since our stadium was built and we're at expansion capacity but can't convince the board to build a new one. I want one named after me damn it! Maybe we have to win the Champions League to provide the rep boost that would make them think it's needed.

Real_Sport_Clube.png

Real Sport Clube - 2041-42

Never felt like we hit our stride this year, we still ended up going 25-2-3 in the league but our goal scoring wasn't there and it felt more like grinding out results than the crushing victories we'd been used to. Some striker injuries didn't help.

In the Champions League the draw decided to troll us, we had to draw the only #1 seed who didn't win their group. Man U took the leg at Old Trafford 2-0, and with no away goal it was always going to be brutally difficult to come back.

Finally got a clear star in the intake [42a] Óscar was rated 4 stars in the intake but 5 stars once I signed him. Of course he's injury prone, it seems my academy selects the guys who turn up with bandages on all their limbs to be the strikers of the future.

The backbone of my strike force turn 30 next year, [29a] Nuno Brito and [29d] Rodrigo are 3rd and 1st on my all time scoring list but I know how strikers tend to fall off a cliff as they age and Brito in particular has a long injury history. Going to really need the younger strikers to stand up and take over for us to regain our momentum.

Time to stick a fork in Excelsior Veldwezelt :( Officially quit playing what has quite simply been my most enjoyable FM save of all.

Since I completed the challenge I have played on for 3 more seasons and continued to do well, even making the Champions League final again, but being beaten 2-1 by Man Utd with a 89th minute winner! The other 2 years we were beaten in the Quarter Finals by Bayern.

We won the league all three years making it 8 on the trot and 15 in total.

The Belgian Pro league just vaulted over the Bundesliga and Serie A as the 4th highest reputation competition and Excelsior Veldwezelt are the 2nd highest rep team in the world now (behind Man Utd, Arsenal in 3rd).

Quick career screenshots for me;

Ben Talbott Career Stats

Ben Talbott Career Achievements

Hard to sign off without a couple of screenshots of my best player during the course of the game, Ken Daniels YP 27a

Biography

League Career

Not only did he perform me us, he already has 64 international goals in 76 international games at age 25. Top, top quality player.

Looking forward to FM14 and a new start!

Long weekend so got to run through another season quickly.

Real_Sport_Clube.png

Real Sport Clube - 2042-43

Portugal won the world cup again, with around half my squad taking part. We won our 10th league title in a row. But the joy stopped there. Team felt a bit off again really, feeling like they peaked a couple of years back, even though on paper they're stronger now.

Champions League again brutal with the draw, giving us Arsenal in the first knockout round. We did manage an away goal this time but the home leg was a disaster, 17 shots to 1, we hit the woodwork 3 times and finished with only a 1-1 result to yet again go down with a 3-2 scoreline. We've been knocked out of the Champions League by a single goal on aggregate each of the last 7 years! The early days of being blown away were easier to take, we're clearly good enough to compete now we just choke whenever we face a tough team. :(

Got a 4.5 star right back [43a] Ricardinho in the intake. Playing 3-5-2 he doesn't really fit, not a great RM and I have plenty of cover there anyway, so maybe he'll become a CM. Even with a weakness of consistency he has high enough potential to be a good player.

Can't really work out why we're a bit off the last two seasons, the midfield seems to lack a bit compared to where it was. We've had some turnover there but the newer players should in theory be up to it ... we've maybe lost a little physicality there but the difference doesn't seem huge. I wonder if it's the old captain retiring - he typically played in midfield now my captain is the sweeper. Hard to tell how much influence captains really have ... maybe it's bigger than I thought.

Also can't work out why we're just not able to push past the hurdle in Europe, these players are winning world cups for freaking Portugal so it's not like they have a big game problem. Can't even blame injury the last couple of years, they're just not able to put two good legs together and choose the worst time to forget how to score.

Very frustrated but still feeling like we're so close despite not having the recent results to back up my confidence! In the league we all of a sudden broke through and now we win it on auto pilot ... just need to bust down that same wall in Europe.

Iv never had a chairman buy any players for me also most iv had in when i was in prem with carshalton or watever there name is was around 250mil and all i would spend is on stadium upgrades and training facilitys oh and big wages for my best players highest wage was 250k lol

Come on Shakes! You are so close!

The only thing Real needs now is just a bit of luck and challenge will be completed.

Echoed here :thup:

If you are doing this challenge, how is it that you dont end up with billions in the bank, given that you must occasionally sell players and you arent allowed to buy? How do you spend the money? And what happens if your chairman buys players for you?

For the longest time you will make little money, due to being the smallest of the small clubs, with very little fan base and sponsorship money. Wages are still similar to the other clubs in the league though. Add to that you will very rarely sell someone, due to not wanting to lose your very limited assets.

Also, your facilities are abysmal to begin with, so there are many times over where you have to break the bank when you finally get enough to improve them .

Eventually, if you reach the promised land of Champions League football, then the money is great. I personally had a sweet spot of a couple of years where the Champions League money far outweighed my expenses, but money grabbing footballers being what they are, my wage budget soon caught up to it.

As for players being bought for you, make sure your HOYD has no power (hell, I have never hired one!). Do chairmen (presumably nut job tycoons?) just go out and buy players? If mine did, I would have to ignore said player

If you are doing this challenge, how is it that you dont end up with billions in the bank, given that you must occasionally sell players and you arent allowed to buy? How do you spend the money? And what happens if your chairman buys players for you?

If only it was so easy! I am breaking even or losing money when I only make it to the 1st Knockout round in Champions League. I sell my 43k stadium out or close to it every game, but we're at the expansion capacity now, and ticket prices and TV money in Portugal aren't that great anyway. Wage costs plus the cost of the whole youth setup gets expensive, the players will demand to eat up any wage budget you get. I've only ever sold one player for significant money: 15m from Ajax 6 years ago for a right winger when I had too many players there. Mostly I'm only selling the duds for a bit of spare change. It's not like a normal game where you sell players for a profit in their mid to late 20s before they lose their value, you want to hold on to your best guys and get more seasons out of them.

Fair enough. Still, if you are in the CL and not buying players surely you must have massive cash reserves? All clubs have big wage bills but every other club buys players sometimes....

I did have a bit of a reserve, gained from overachieving a while back, but a few seasons that weren't great and rising player wage demands means ...

TwFsngV.png

The board sets your wage budget based on the money you have. Players set their wage expectations based on your wage budget. Any money you have gets eaten up. The way to make huge profits is to have a net transfer surplus: most people manage that by selling players and buying a cheaper replacement. But because we can't buy it makes it really hard for us to sell, hence we don't make the transfer money required to run at a profit long run.

Real_Sport_Clube.png

Real Sport Clube - 2043-44

We hit a milestone this season ...

aVqz2vf.png

Funnily enough it wasn't like we ran away with the league though, Porto were also on track for an unbeaten season, wasn't until we beat them in the 24th match that we really pulled clear.

Another milestone was Portugal rising to 3rd in the co-efficients - 4 CL places next year. I think my players got sick of bad luck in the draw so decided to tank our two games against Lyon, resulting in a 2nd seeding. Didn't work, we drew last year's champions Man U. Home leg we didn't really take advantage of our play, only managing the one goal and giving up a late equalizer. We were level at the half of the away leg, but a penalty and sending off let them run away with it, for another disappointing exit in the first knockout round.

This means it'll be a once only deal for the 4 CL places, as we've slipped back to 4th.

Got a DC in [44a] Filipe Santos in the intake, his weakness is important matches so he should fit right in.

Really nothing at all to prove domestically at the moment, short of turning those 4 draws into wins and going for a perfect season which seems unlikely. Just going through hoping to get our act together and make that CL run.

We should have the fire power to do it ... [38a] Tiago Pinto had a breakout season this year with 38 goals, a record for us. Overall had 5 players in double figures for goals and 5 in double figures for assists, I think this group is back to form, just need to do it at the right time.

Awesome achievement Shakes!

[38a] Tiago Pinto is a great player, love the look of him

What formation / set-up do you play these days?

I actually liked it when my country's co-efficient fell and removed CL places from us, as we were always qualifying anyway and it took lucrative money away from our domestic rivals :D

Fair enough. Still, if you are in the CL and not buying players surely you must have massive cash reserves? All clubs have big wage bills but every other club buys players sometimes....

I do have reserves in the Prem. About 76M in the bank. But that's just due to my tiny wage bill(smaller than most Championship clubs), increased TV money (each televized game more than pays for the team's wages), and smart management. Still can't get the board to build a new stadium though, our renting of Bury's(BSP and our feeder club) 12k stadium is getting annoying :p

I play a 3-5-2 - first season I changed to it from the strikerless formation we won the league, so I've stuck with it the last 11 seasons. A sweeper, 2 CDs, flat 5 across the middle and a target man/poacher combo up front. Pinto is normally the target man, but plays poacher pretty well too. Wish we still had the super dribbler patch ... I reckon he'd be scoring 50 a year from crosses. :lol:

I agree the CL places aren't really a good thing since we don't need them, but it's nice to see the nation push up the ranks. The funds do help the other teams, Porto have made a couple of good CL runs and it's showing in their squad strength, they were weak about 5 years ago after they'd run into money problems and sold some players off. I was hoping they might go bust and get relegated, I hate Porto so much after spending the last two years in this challenge in Portugal. :D

I do have reserves in the Prem. About 76M in the bank. But that's just due to my tiny wage bill(smaller than most Championship clubs), increased TV money (each televized game more than pays for the team's wages), and smart management. Still can't get the board to build a new stadium though, our renting of Bury's(BSP and our feeder club) 12k stadium is getting annoying :p

Premier League TV would be nice!

In Belgium we got around 890k I think! Winning the league gave prize money around 7.9m

Thats just it. Because you are only using your own products, they are likely to be on slightly lower wages than their counterparts elsewhere.

Thats just it. Because you are only using your own products, they are likely to be on slightly lower wages than their counterparts elsewhere.

There will be instances where this is the case, but you also have the flipside where you have to give in to demands and overpay players purely because you do not have other viable options.

TheGreatTraveler is very much the exception to the rule, in that he is one of maybe 2 or 3 managers who have managed to navigated through the English tiers into the Premier League. For every success story, there are many of us who have failed (this year or last year).

This is an interesting conversation :thup:

Below are my expenditure and income screenshots at the end of my game;

4g3u.jpg

zg7u.jpg

Would Shakes, TheGreatTraveler or anyone else who are far along in the game mind posting theres for comparison?

I would be interested to see if there are any differences and if I can improve in this area for next time.

This is an interesting conversation :thup:

Below are my expenditure and income screenshots at the end of my game;

4g3u.jpg

zg7u.jpg

Would Shakes, TheGreatTraveler or anyone else who are far along in the game mind posting theres for comparison?

I would be interested to see if there are any differences and if I can improve in this area for next time.

Wait till i am in the premiership Lol

Archived