Stupid Wages

Anyone else finding players wages to be a real pain? Look at this for an example:

http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m622/badonkadonkey/?action=view&current=wages.png

A backup player on 82k/week and a 32k appearance fee? This player is transfer listed and longing for more first team football might I add. I wouldn't mind if it were just the odd player with a greedy agent but it just isn't. I have players who are in the twilight of their careers and they expect a 40k wage increase, Reina being the prime example. This seriously needs to be sorted out for 2013 it is ridiculous.

From what I have experienced the amount they ask for depends on your reputation and wage budget - for example you are obviously a good team as you have a budget of 2.3m and seeing as you have 1.2 to spare that's probably why he's asking for so much. It shouldn't happen - I've said in the past about it, but unfortunately it does!

I see it as a game mechanic to make the non AI Managers squad change so that they cant hoard all the best players, unfortunately what makes it blatantly obvious is players joining AI managed teams for a lot less money, which is quite annoying as the computer should follow the same rules as the human.

I think the problem is partly that the player assesses what they should get based on the club offering the contract rather than making a decision based on comparing contract offers that they have been made by different teams.

For example, I dont have a problem that some defender thinks he is worth 80k a week, even if this is an unrealistic expectation on the players part, but if he gets offered say, 40k/week, he shouldnt take the strop and sign for another team for £10k/week, he should hold out and make a decision based on what is the best offer for him based on a number of factors (amount, team status, bonuses, stage of career, team location, player favoured staff being at teams offering contracts etc), which in turn should be weighted by attributes such as determination and ambition.

From what I have experienced the amount they ask for depends on your reputation and wage budget - for example you are obviously a good team as you have a budget of 2.3m and seeing as you have 1.2 to spare that's probably why he's asking for so much. It shouldn't happen - I've said in the past about it, but unfortunately it does!

I've got to those figures because I refuse to pay these ridiculous wages, I only pay two players over 70k/week and I'm thinking of getting rid of those as their performances don't merit the money. I've finally started making a profit each month because I've cut the wages so drastically as well, it's a shame the game then turns round and punishes you for your hard work.

Adjust your budget putting all to transfer money and leaving none to wages, then try to negotiate again - the wage demand will be lower.

I'll try this out, thanks!

This seems very correct to me as well. It is very easy to build a really good team without paying anybody more than 50k a week. However, when you become a consistent top team then the players want massive wage rises so that they are at least in line with players at other top clubs. Who can blame them if they are doing the business tbf?

On the flip side though, as your club gets bigger, the players values go much higher and you can get more money for them if you decide to sell for what ever reason. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

I think "Player Reputations" and "Level of Interest" should be a more prominent factor in contract negotiations. For example you see in your screenshot that the player is "Very Interested" in joining your club, but he seems unrealistic with his initial demands - if he truly was "Very Interested" then he'd ask YOU to make him an offer and then take it from there, with the opposite side being "Dubious" demanding a larger wage at the start of contract negotiations. Same with youngsters - if it's a NewGen and he's not even signed a professional deal with his current club he shouldn't be asking for anything above 2k seeing as he is completely unknown within the footballing world.

As well as this you should be able to have some form of a relationship with agents, and in doing so have a more financially viable offer from the club accepted by the player because the agents "had a word" and said that what's being offered is a good deal, again, on the flip side if you and the agent have had bad negotiations in the past he may not have the patience to sit through a long negotiation and may only listen to the first offer if there is a particular gap between what is being offered and what the player/agent wants.

I see it as a game mechanic to make the non AI Managers squad change so that they cant hoard all the best players, unfortunately what makes it blatantly obvious is players joining AI managed teams for a lot less money, which is quite annoying as the computer should follow the same rules as the human.

The computer does follow the same rules as the human. What's happening is that you're trying to get a senior players to sign at a rate below your wage structure. The computer can't do that, and neither can you. The fact that they end up at a smaller club on a lower wage isn't really relevant.

you also have to factor in the agent is unfriendly towards you which will further increase his demands.

The only problem with that is that forcing the agent to do his job, negotiate on the behalf of the player, causes him to dislike you. Ignoring the fact that currently in FM agents are willing to sell their clients down the river for some extra cash for themselves.

The computer does follow the same rules as the human. What's happening is that you're trying to get a senior players to sign at a rate below your wage structure. The computer can't do that, and neither can you. The fact that they end up at a smaller club on a lower wage isn't really relevant.

Yes but the difference is once the AI has their sights set on a player they don't change their mind regardless of wage demands (provided they can afford it). Whereas here the OP is reconsidering based on the initial expectations of the player. Yes, he can afford it, but he doesn't want to harm the philosophy that he's stuck to of lower wages for the entire team. That is something the AI cannot do.

Does that reflect reality though? Would a senior player turn down 40k a week with you, because others of the same squad status are on 60k, but then accept 10k to play for a smaller team? I don't think so. Surely it's much more likely IRL he'd sign for you but have a lower morale as a result of feeling he wasn't earning as much as his team mates. The reputation based decision making is one of the biggest issues for me with FM because it causes players to make all sorts of irrational decisions with their careers.

Does that reflect reality though? Would a senior player turn down 40k a week with you, because others of the same squad status are on 60k, but then accept 10k to play for a smaller team? I don't think so. Surely it's much more likely IRL he'd sign for you but have a lower morale as a result of feeling he wasn't earning as much as his team mates. The reputation based decision making is one of the biggest issues for me with FM because it causes players to make all sorts of irrational decisions with their careers.

Spot on Martinji!

Irl a footballer would just not do what they do in this game; turn down a good salary with a good team to play for another at 75% less wages.

It's a glitch!

Archived