Stadium Improvement Overlooked AGAIN!

Although SI have to be congratulated on the improvements they have made to FM 2012 I am not happy :(

As far as I can see SI have not done anything to improve the Stadium bug!

Last year FIVE of my family and friends started as Colwyn Bay and although we took them up to the English Premier League and won Silverware that even Manchester United would be jealous of over a twenty - twenty five year period our stadiums are smaller than most CHAMPIONSHIP clubs!

Football Manager LIVE gave you the power to improve your stadium and this was done very well.

WHY cant SI implement this into the Football Manager series?

Some of you who miss the point of this thread will say its nothing to do with the Manager but if the game engine cant handle it more realistically .. give us the ability to do it!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just quickly mate what is the population of Colwyn Bay roughly 30000?? even if the catchment area is another 50000 it doesnt really make sense to have a stadium with a capacity of more then 10-15000 maybe 20000 if the community is die hard football fanatics...just a though mate

Just quickly mate what is the population of Colwyn Bay roughly 30000?? even if the catchment area is another 50000 it doesnt really make sense to have a stadium with a capacity of more then 10-15000 maybe 20000 if the community is die hard football fanatics...just a though mate

This shouldn't make any difference. Cue Ackter...

EDIT; or is it dafuge?

I can see why SI didn't just give us the option to build a 100 000 capacity all-seater in Colwyn Bay because we know we can grow into it. It should be possible to find some middle-ground between that and the current feature, which just adds 1000-3000 to the "maximum attendance" hidden stat each year and uses that to calculate the size of a new stadium every 20 years. So for Colwyn Bay after 20 years, that figure is probably around 20-40 000. It takes like 3 years to build the stadium, if not more, so by the time the new stadium is built (let's be generous and say that the current 15000 stadium is replaced with a 30k all-seater), it will be filled to the rim every match for the next 20 years - at which time you are allowed to build a 50k seater. Hooray!

I don't know why people moan about stadium sizes and getting a new one every so often because they fill the current one.

Old Trafford used to be full most games and people would struggle for tickets but they didn't and won't buy a new stadium. People need to get more attached to stadia as they're a part of a clubs history. ;)

• Administrators
Although SI have to be congratulated on the improvements they have made to FM 2012 I am not happy :(

As far as I can see SI have not done anything to improve the Stadium bug!

Last year FIVE of my family and friends started as Colwyn Bay and although we took them up to the English Premier League and won Silverware that even Manchester United would be jealous of over a twenty - twenty five year period our stadiums are smaller than most CHAMPIONSHIP clubs!

Football Manager LIVE gave you the power to improve your stadium and this was done very well.

WHY cant SI implement this into the Football Manager series?

Some of you who miss the point of this thread will say its nothing to do with the Manager but if the game engine cant handle it more realistically .. give us the ability to do it!

No chance, I don't know of a Football Manager who ever decided, planned and built their own stadium. I'd suggest posting in the bugs forum and providing save games if you think the lack of expansion is a bug, but bear in mind completely unrealistic circumstances (such as a tiny club becoming so successful) make it difficult for the game to handle it realistically.

No chance, I don't know of a Football Manager who ever decided, planned and built their own stadium. I'd suggest posting in the bugs forum and providing save games if you think the lack of expansion is a bug, but bear in mind completely unrealistic circumstances (such as a tiny club becoming so successful) make it difficult for the game to handle it realistically.

Not really. Without a crazy sugardaddy the AI won't ever do this with their own clubs. If you could tell the board that yes, we will indeed be title challengers in every competition we participate in the next 50 years and beyond, maybe they will skip the babysteps and just build a title challenger stadium? If you win everything a few years in a row and tell them you have no plans of ever leaving, they should believe you no?

What is so realistic about a club like Colwyn Bay winning the Champions League and because of this gain 2000 new fans instead of the normal 1000 (the second part not the first - it is 100% realistic that Colwyn Bay does this when they are led by the best manager the world has ever seen... which we all are)? The realistic number would be 30 000 new fans... Or 300 000. They could build the 100 000 all-seater in the same style as the castle and put it next to it. Would be an amazing site to visit. You could eat fish and chips in a walled-in backyard of a pub, then walk over to the Castle Rock Stadium and watch Real Madrid getting beaten to pulp. And 35-year-old Ronaldo would cry again!

SI seemingly refuse to include this option on the basis of it being 'unrealistic'.

Ignoring the dozens of unrealistic things players see and do throughout playing the game.

It's a game.

Let us play the game. Reduce the 20 year stadium gap to 10 years.

Allow the human player to have input into the stadium when it is being built.

Make the AI avoid the stupid mistakes that they do right now, by not building stadiums with tiny expansion capacity.

My Stockport County team are playing Champions League matches in front of 12400 spectators.

Been 100% attendance for home games for over 5 seasons. Board wont build stadium as they say they dont believe we have the fanbase.......... losers.

i gotta say the argument for "there is no football manager who build their own stadium so we dont implement in into the game" is kinda rubbish, show me the football manager who sends scouts to african countrys which name ive never heard before and returns with a couple 4-5 star potential rated players... or as mentioned the finance and fan base raises whenever you win anything, on my poland save i had a 550k year main sponsorship and won the champions league the same year the sponsorship went out, i got contracted a new sponsorship with the new recordsum of 570k a year... like really? thats realistic.

sorry but that post kinda pissed me off :p

No chance, I don't know of a Football Manager who ever decided, planned and built their own stadium. I'd suggest posting in the bugs forum and providing save games if you think the lack of expansion is a bug, .

This just doesnt make sense .. SI included the option in Football Manager Live!

Championship Manager/Football Manager has always sold itself as a game where you can take a very small club to the top if your a good enough Manager.... SO... when we took Colwyn Bay to the very top and became so good the so called BIG teams feared us ..and won trophies year and year for 20+ years .. surely we should have a stadium around 80k built....

I am not impressed with those members here that say there might not be room.... IF there wasnt room for my (and my friends) MEGA rich and MEGA successful Colwyn Bay to build a 80k+ stadium they would find somewhere to build it..PERIOD...

, but bear in mind completely unrealistic circumstances (such as a tiny club becoming so successful) make it difficult for the game to handle it realistically.

Sorry Neil but are you actually saying that being a fantastic Manager (and many of us here are :p) and taking a small club to the ultimate goal in this game is unrealistic?

Like I wrote earlier "Championship Manager/Football Manager has always sold itself as a game where you can take a very small club to the top if your a good enough Manager"

"Unrealistic" is one of those strange words with respect to this game. I suspect that everyone has a very firm idea of what it means, but no two people actually agree on it.

More specifically, it takes in "extremely unlikely", "out of character", "a weird reaction to the circumstances" and so on.

I got my BSS team up to the Premier, expanded to maximum and then built new 67,000 seat stadium. If anything, too quick and easy. The idea that we could design/build ourselves would be ridiculous.

I've never played long enough to see this, but theoretically your first stadium could happen "too early" and only be something like 15-30k, at which point you have to wait 20 years for the next stadium. Some people have your experience of getting their first stadium in optimal circumstances, whilst others have to wait for a second cycle of stadium building to get into the 50k+ stadia.

I don't see how it hurts the game to quicken the pace for the human player. If you get Colwyn Bay or some other small club to the promised land in miraculous fashion, by all means let there be some milk and honey! It doesn't have to be a big change. Maybe allow the player to decide when to go for the 1st stadium, thus allowing a pragmatic manager to make the most of the first major expansion. Or cut the cycle time from 20 years to "10, if attendance > 90% and have won league > 40% of the time", or some other subtle but "realistic" prescription for radical re-expansion. Like the sponsorship example in the post above, I can imagine that these restrictions would feel a bit wooden to a club overachieving by such large margins.

I got my BSS team up to the Premier, expanded to maximum and then built new 67,000 seat stadium. If anything, too quick and easy. The idea that we could design/build ourselves would be ridiculous.

You got lucky. Most lower teams when moving up reach capacity very quickly, usually around League Two or League One, then get a 15,000 max capacity stadium which is way too small for the Premier League.

Most people end up in situations like mine.

My stadium was planned while we were in League 1. The year it finished building was the year we got promoted to the Championship.

Then we got promoted to the Premier League in only 2 season in the Championship.

Our stadium had a max capacity of 17,000.

I'm now in 2030, have been in the Premier League for about 7 seasons now, and I've still got 10 years to go before I'll get a new stadium.

This is a major issue for long-term games and needs to be looked at.

usually i point out at a lot of negatives when it's come to improvements over the game, versions to version, but i can understand this one to be honest..

hopefully this issue can be resolved by the first update in FM13 if it's not resolved in the new game.

Maybe a compromise is that the 20 year thing is not set in stone, but you could only get a new stadium earlier than that in a set of very favourable circumstances - having massive money in the bank, ambitious owner, could easily make a profit on the massive cost of buying a new ground etc etc.

But the thought of designing a stadium and just getting one when you want is too far from what the game is supposed to be about.

The argument that it's unrealist that a manager have a word in the club stadium expansion it's a bit strange, isn't it? I mean... in FM2013, we managers can sack our DoF! Wanna get more unrealistic than this?

Apart from that, i only see 2 ways:

a) give us the chance to have a word in this subject. If the fanbase are there, if we have a good financial balance, we decide if is the time to build/expand the stadium

b) improve the AI, so that theres more flexibility. For example, the case that Davidbowie present, for me it's a case of bad planning. The problem is not the stadium capacity, but the time when he were built. IRL, the board would wait a only built the new stadium after the clube reach premier league. So, what i'm saying is that AI must be more flexible, and treat every club with the recipe of the 20 years wait.

But why can't a new stadium have plans to expand if needed. We have build you a 17000 stadium that can be upgraded to 45000 if needed.

Because that's unreal! Do you know any stadium in the world that have a expansion capacity 3 times is original capacity????

Because that's unreal! Do you know any stadium in the world that have a expansion capacity 3 times is original capacity????

The two a-league teams in Melbourne play at the same stadium, it is new, and was originally designed to be 20,000. It was upgraded to 30,000 and has a total upgradeable capacity of 50,000.

Any correctly designed stadium can be designed with future expansion in mind. By creating larger foundations, planning by stages with future capacity in mind from the start, there is no reason this cannot be done.

Especially in FM.

Did they not take some of the stadiums they built for the African World Cup a few years back and ship the top half of them to other countries needing stadiums after the tournament? I think in modern design, building stadiums easily expanded or decreased is not that difficult, as long as the money is there to both design and build them.

Its a tough one this, on the one hand you can say that there should be more felixbility, but at the same time, building a new stadium is not an easy thing to do, and never should be in the game. Look at Chelsea, a champions league winning team, one of the biggest in the world, and they play out of a shoebox comapred to the other big clubs like Man Utd, Real and the Milan teams. Its not as simple as "we need more seats, lets build a stadium", look at Liverpool, they have been trying for about 5/6 years now, my own club has been planning a new stadium for 5 years, we're still no closer to getting land to build it on. Even after we get the land, it will take 2 years before we get to move into it, it could be close to 10 years from the start of planning until we get the keys so to speak.

b) improve the AI, so that theres more flexibility. For example, the case that Davidbowie present, for me it's a case of bad planning. The problem is not the stadium capacity, but the time when he were built. IRL, the board would wait a only built the new stadium after the clube reach premier league. So, what i'm saying is that AI must be more flexible, and treat every club with the recipe of the 20 years wait.

How does the board know he will reach the Premier League? To be fair, the club has reached League 1 and the board decided they needed a bigger stadium to compete at that level. They won't say "Hang on a minute, let's wait and see if we reach the Premier League in the next 2 or 3 years" because it is highly unlikely for a club to go from non-league to the top so quickly. They need a stadium that is big enough to compete at League 1 level right now and can't afford to miss out on lost revenue by waiting around for a few years.

It's just a problem with small clubs achieving this success too quickly but if you are patient, you will get the stadium you deserve, it just takes time.

I think something that needs to be improved is feedback from the board. Instead of randomly getting a news item saying "We're building a new stadium", there should be more build up to it, and news items such

1. In the board meeting this week, the board will look into the expanding the current stadium or building a new one

A week or 2 later...

2. The board have decided a new stadium is the best option

A week or 2 later...

3. The board are making a list of sites that could potentially be used to build the stadium on

4. The board are meeting with the local council to discuss the options

etc etc

Something like that anyway, with feedback being spread out over the next few years to keep the manager in the know about what's happening. It could even go as far as giving us news items like "The foundations have been laid for the new north stand". It might be annoying for some people to get news items about it, but at least it keeps us informed.

for example there also should be some way of displaying how the appeal of the stadium is, for example second league team SC Paderborn from germany moved 4 years ago into a new build stadium with 15 000 people capacity, it cost 25million€ to build, but i know some of the local fans there, they dont like the new stadium its super ugly..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energieteam_Arena

very dissapointed that SI doesnt take stadium building and stuff like that into account, football is like a religion, and the stadiums are the churches, 2 bad they dont recognize it...

The BIG problem with my Colwyn Bay stadium in the last version of FM was that it had a capacity of less than 20k. It didnt matter that we were a major force in the EPL and EUROPE the Board and/or Investors didnt build a stadium much bigger... this in turn meant that we didnt generate gate receipts big enough to pay our player wages.... we had to rely on Prize Money and wheeling and dealing in the transfer market. Dont get me wrong by doing the latter we made LOADSA MONEY but thats not the point....

I have no actual proof but I also believe that a large percentage of WORLD CLASS players werent interested in coming to Colwyn Bay as our Stadium and reputation wasnt good enough .. irrespective of our mega FULL Trophy Cabinet....

I have ordered the new version of FM but both myself and my friends and family who participate in our competition considered whether or not to buy FM13 this year ... :(

• Administrators

Dave if you could I'd appreciate it if you raised this issue on the bugs forum and perhaps provided a save game (ideally one before your first stadium was built as well as one when you've conquered all in your game) so we could look into it. The reason I believe is that the game doesn't allow clubs to build more than one stadium in a 20/30 year time frame and I believe the expansion would be restricted by the area in which the club is based. Obviously the local population in this instance would be an issue.

Championship Manager/Football Manager has always sold itself as a game where you can take a very small club to the top if your a good enough Manager.... SO... when we took Colwyn Bay to the very top and became so good the so called BIG teams feared us ..and won trophies year and year for 20+ years .. surely we should have a stadium around 80k built....

I am not impressed with those members here that say there might not be room.... IF there wasnt room for my (and my friends) MEGA rich and MEGA successful Colwyn Bay to build a 80k+ stadium they would find somewhere to build it..PERIOD...

No club in the country has an 80,000 capacity stadium. Yet after a relatively small period of sucess you think one should be built for the club you manage just like that? Get real.

I understand that in your situation a new stadium/vast capacity improvements should be made to you current home, but what makes you think an 80,000 capacity arena should be built?

While waiting 20 years for a chance to get a decent stadium is indeed annoying, the main cause of this has already been pin-pointed; the game just doesn't keep up with our ridiculously unrealistic success rate. The same thing applies when you take a club from a small nation and turn them into world beaters within less than 10 seasons; your reputation doesn't rise quickly enough because the game can't keep up. That way you get a 1st seeded club in CL with national reputation which can attract no decent players.

My Stockport County team are playing Champions League matches in front of 12400 spectators.

Been 100% attendance for home games for over 5 seasons. Board wont build stadium as they say they dont believe we have the fanbase.......... losers.

That sounds exactly like the sort of SCFC board I'm used to! :D

The two a-league teams in Melbourne play at the same stadium, it is new, and was originally designed to be 20,000. It was upgraded to 30,000 and has a total upgradeable capacity of 50,000.

Any correctly designed stadium can be designed with future expansion in mind. By creating larger foundations, planning by stages with future capacity in mind from the start, there is no reason this cannot be done.

Especially in FM.

AAMI Park was built with a capacity of over 30,000 and cannot be upgraded further. The structure of the roof prevents this.

AAMI Park was built with a capacity of over 30,000 and cannot be upgraded further. The structure of the roof prevents this.

It started at 20k, then was expanded in the design process.

A flaw in design meant that instead of the roof has to be removed to allow the 50,000 expansion, not that it cannot be upgraded further.

Without the design flaw the stadium would be a perfect example of how a stadium can have a much larger expansion capacity.

I dont think the roof is a design flaw as such, it just was never designed to be removed.

That was the design flaw.

No-one told the person designing the roof that they need to make sure it could be easily taken off for expansion.

Hence why expansion would require major construction work to remove the roof when it's not been designed for it.

Dave if you could I'd appreciate it if you raised this issue on the bugs forum and perhaps provided a save game (ideally one before your first stadium was built as well as one when you've conquered all in your game) so we could look into it. The reason I believe is that the game doesn't allow clubs to build more than one stadium in a 20/30 year time frame and I believe the expansion would be restricted by the area in which the club is based. Obviously the local population in this instance would be an issue.

EVERY year about five of my family/friends go through the English Leagues and pick the team with the smallest stadium and we manage them throughout our competition .... last year it was Colwyn Bay ....

Well its not quite that easy as one rule we have is that it must be a team that we havent managed in previous years .... eg... Corby, Staines, Eastbourne (to name a few) are exempt this version as of coarse are Colwyn Bay!

Maybe this year I will record my achievements and stadium increases within this forum .. which section would I put it? .. I could also keep savegames too.... :)

I would like to see a compromise where the club may decide to ground-share with a larger club or temporarily move to an unused/national stadium within a certain geographical distance away from home. (Dunno about elsewhere but here are two large stadiums in Brisbane in the db but unused - not that the Roar would move).

There could be a chance such a move will have a short-term negative impact on the fans, which may be overcome by continued relative success. There could also be individual club owners who may decide the club should never leave their local ground/area, and may place supporting the local community above grand plans to reach the Champions League - ie decide never to move the club and be reluctant to build a stadium, so you have to hope you get successful and taken over, or leave the club for somewhere more ambitious.

If the club continues on its merry way up the league, the club may then decide to build a stadium or greatly redevelop their original stadium and return home. If relegation happens the club may decide to return to their original stadium, especially if they had not own it and were renting.

Under no circumstances should we be able to define our own stadiums etc. That's silly, because we don't have the underlying data needed to make sensible decisions.

An example is DaveM1965, saying we should be able to get to 80,000. Yet if you look around Britain, how many 80,000+ club stadiums are there? I count not one. Zero. Zilch. Even big, long-established, succesful clubs are looking at new builds/expansions in the 60,000 mark. So it's stupidly unrealistic to say Colwyn Bay, or whoever else, should be able to hit that level. Plenty of PL clubs are settled at the 20-30k mark.

That said, there obviously is an issue where new builds become rapidly unsuitable because of the speed you can rise in FM. I don't agree that we should have a 10 year threshold for new builds, that's also very silly. But simply allowing any new build in-game the scope to be expanded to a minimum of, say, 40K, should mean a decent progressive expansion can occur. But it should remain with the board.

Perhaps the problem in FM is not the stadium capacity, but the increase of fan base in clubs, specially in clubs that have a quick sucessful run.

A club from a town with 10.000 habitant, that in 7 years reach the bottom league to primeire league, and can sold out a 30.000 stadium... perhaps in this scenario the problem is the amount of people that go to see the game. :)

no?

• Administrators
EVERY year about five of my family/friends go through the English Leagues and pick the team with the smallest stadium and we manage them throughout our competition .... last year it was Colwyn Bay ....

Well its not quite that easy as one rule we have is that it must be a team that we havent managed in previous years .... eg... Corby, Staines, Eastbourne (to name a few) are exempt this version as of coarse are Colwyn Bay!

Maybe this year I will record my achievements and stadium increases within this forum .. which section would I put it? .. I could also keep savegames too.... :)

Probably in the FM Stories section I'd suggest, with the odd PM to me in case anything doesn't quite go right in regards to stadium expansions!

Archived