Game grinding to a halt

Wiwyum

Hey guys,

I was just browsing through the achievements list for FM12 on Steam and noticed that some of them are quite cool, if time consuming (ie. Manage the same team for 20 seasons). The problem is, I have a reasonably high spec computer... and in my experience the game grinds to an unplayable halt after less than half that.

I recall there used to be a fan made downloadable piece of software that deleted old history stored in game, in order to precisely navigate around this problem.

Is there a way to play a cool long game without having to just give up on it ... as i've had to do on several occasions now [borehamwood into the Championship, I had such high hopes! :'( ]

Thanks guys :)

I think you should delete scout reports. I seem to remember reading somewhere that they alone speed the game up quite a lot. Also, it's well known that adding leagues throughout your save causes an extreme number of players added into the database, slowing the game down.

I have a one year old PC and can comfortably play 20 seasons with up to 40 leagues loaded. So I'm not sure why you're struggling...

It would probably help if you could provide more information about the spec of your computer. Simply say that it is a reasonably high spec is not a lot to go on. How many leagues are you using and on what database size? If you have antivirus software and its scanning the folders that fm is using then this can slow things down quite a bit so set up your antivirus software so that when its scanning it ignores any of the folders that the game uses.

Apologies for being so vague, and also for the late reply.

Seeing as i'm rather tech stupid, I will just copy word for word the System information provided to me by windows. Seems pretty limited mind...

Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.60 GHz

4.00GB RAM

Not that it matters but I also have a nVidia GTX 560ti Graphics card.

Also using Windows 7 64 bit.

The number of leagues I have is approxiamtely 15, player database medium. I try to get rid of scout reports as much as possible...

Any ideas?

Check the amount of players in the database.

This is best done with a 3rd party program like GenieScout or FMRTE, but if you find more than 50k players in an unfiltered player search, I am afraid that your save is ruined.. It's a known issue that for some reason the database grows out of control.

I'm guessing that it's always best to select a small player database in that case. Shame... with FM13 coming out soon I suppose it's not so tragic. I'll just keep it in mind when starting my next rags to riches game :)

It's weird because it doesn't always happen. It definitely happens with adding leagues feature, but sometimes it happens randomly as well.

Archived