Sports Interactive Community
Smurf

FM13 Video Blog - International Management

So can I as a human club manager tell off an international manager for picking my £30 million pound striker for pointless WC qualifiers against minnows with no hope of winning?

As for the stuff in the video. Yawn. More stuff to delegate to the assistant. The questions will get boring in a handful of conferences.

The media stuff will probably be annoying, but the extra interaction between players and managers is great.

So can I as a human club manager tell off an international manager for picking my £30 million pound striker for pointless WC qualifiers against minnows with no hope of winning?

As for the stuff in the video. Yawn. More stuff to delegate to the assistant. The questions will get boring in a handful of conferences.

"minnows with no hope of winning" :p

Other than that I'd be in agreement. All stuff that should have been within FM years ago, and far from revolutionary.

I know that many will not like the increase in media focus, but I love this addition. I've been waiting for international management to be expanded and this is definitely a step in the right direction. The expanded ability to speak with players will add a new layer or realism in having to deal with relationships and personalities. I may end up hating certain players because of it, but isn't that the same with actual managers and players? ;)

So will i finally be able to tell a player that is rotting in the reserve to move to another club and get first team football if he want to be picked again?

I actually kind of like the media because there are a few nice touches and I don't find it mega boring. I think expanding International management was a big step forward for the game as it used to be pick a squad of players of the teams nationality, put them in a tactic and hey presto you've won the world cup.

Good old happy crack !!!

Only casual players players yawn at press conferences :brock:

In all seriousness, I'm all for far more media/interaction on the international side of the game.

Only casual players players yawn at press conferences :brock:

In all seriousness, I'm all for far more media/interaction on the international side of the game.

Media side of the game has no depth.

It's shallow as a kiddie pool.

You get the same pre-set questions that demand the same pre-set responses and you never get more than those handful of questions. Press Conferences handled by the human are more about not accidentally destroying team morale than about actual useful media interaction. Hence why people give it to an assistant, because the assistant picks correctly most of the time, and when he doesn't it's not anywhere near as big a deal as when you screw it up.

Post-match conferences often completely ignore vital parts of the game that you would want to talk about.

Player based media conferences are limited to "Admire" and "Declare Interest" or once in a blue moon "Dangerman".

Manager media conferences are lacklustre and end with one of two things "doesn't like you" or "feels you could be friends".

You can't build a narrative. You can't question the media's narrative. Your players aren't involved or affected unless you royally screw up.

Every press conference you can avoid should be avoided because the game doesn't punish ignoring them, and by taking them you risk the game screwing you over or you pushing the wrong button and hurting you.

I always, always decline to unveil new signings, because the risk of new signings becoming annoyed is too random to risk. By declining I avoid that issue completely.

In the past I've had some trouble with the media calling me biased because I picked too many national side players from my own club players. I was the manager of Cardiff AND the Wales squad. I had most of the best Welsh players playing for Cardiff, as in fact was the goal of my save game. So I wasn't being biased by selecting most of the players from my own club, these were the best Welsh players in the world.

I'm sure other managers may have had a similar experience with managing a smaller country and a club in that country. So I hope this specific situation will get some attention whilst developing FM2013.

Every press conference you can avoid should be avoided because the game doesn't punish ignoring them, and by taking them you risk the game screwing you over or you pushing the wrong button and hurting you.

I always, always decline to unveil new signings, because the risk of new signings becoming annoyed is too random to risk. By declining I avoid that issue completely.

And you sacrifice realism in the process. If you're happy with that then fine, but personally I wouldn't be as I want my game to be as realistic as possible

The only thing that worries me about this is if the AI can use the private chats when managing an international side, it could make holding on to young players very difficult if your a mid table side, or a big side in a small nation, although you could say its been too easy to hold onto them for the past couple of FM's.

Playing Brazil in the WC European qualifying group. Did I nod off and miss a dramatic shift in the continental plates of the earth?

If the answer is "it's a friendly", then why can I tell the players we're in danger of not qualifying?

Only thing required is still missing - ability to convince dual nation players to choose your country

Will an international manager get a real contract like club managers do? Big flaw in FM uptil now. Managers do not seem to earn any money managing a country, while in real life Fabio Capello could save the horn of Africa from starvation with his England-salary. Add Guus Hiddinks Russia-salary to that and hunger will be banished from the world entirely.

The thing I wish we'd get more of is players talking in the press, and other players responding to what they say (i.e., "Striker X" says that "Defender Y" on an opposing team is rubbish, and therefore Striker X's team is frustrated with him for motivating Defender Y, or Defender Y is demotivated because he's been called out, or whatever; then I could scold Striker X for being a loudmouth). It's probably too big to be done without being buggy, though, and I imagine it might conflict with image rights or some such thing.

The thing I wish we'd get more of is players talking in the press, and other players responding to what they say (i.e., "Striker X" says that "Defender Y" on an opposing team is rubbish, and therefore Striker X's team is frustrated with him for motivating Defender Y, or Defender Y is demotivated because he's been called out, or whatever; then I could scold Striker X for being a loudmouth). It's probably too big to be done without being buggy, though, and I imagine it might conflict with image rights or some such thing.

You could always watch "Neighbours" in stead. ;)

one thing missing apparently is asking someone with dual nationality to switch to your country. i am hoping this feature is in the game this year.