Sports Interactive Community
CristianoTomaldo

Refusing To Play New Versions Because of Steam

I've noticed a lot of people saying they hate having Steam on their computer, Football Manager 2011 was the last version of the game that doesn't require Steam to play the game. I just wanted to know are there any of you out there that simply refused to buy FM2012 simply because of Steam? I just can't imagine anyone finding Steam that much of a problem.

This has to be a troll, as their is no way in this world that there is any need for another thread like this about Steam. :(

There are a lot of managers playing FM12 who swore they would never play it if it was on Steam. Message board ultimatums that "I wont buy the game if XYZ" are often hollow threats around here.

ive loved steam ever since it started but theyve recently changed their T&C's so that now every game you own on steam you dont actually own basically meaning that if they ever see fit to take all our games off us they can or if they ever go bust we're all screwed as they have no obligation to us anymore.

i'm sure si will sort it out if it ever came to that but i have loads of games on steam and most of them we're bought through steam ie, no physical copy.

I've noticed a lot of people saying they hate having Steam on their computer, Football Manager 2011 was the last version of the game that doesn't require Steam to play the game. I just wanted to know are there any of you out there that simply refused to buy FM2012 simply because of Steam? I just can't imagine anyone finding Steam that much of a problem.
There's no need to imagine. Just Google it: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=steam+site%3Acommunity.sigames.com - there's people finding Steam a problem (both technically and in principle).

ive loved steam ever since it started but theyve recently changed their T&C's so that now every game you own on steam you dont actually own basically meaning that if they ever see fit to take all our games off us they can or if they ever go bust we're all screwed as they have no obligation to us anymore.

i'm sure si will sort it out if it ever came to that but i have loads of games on steam and most of them we're bought through steam ie, no physical copy.

Just buy the disc instead maybe?

There's no need to imagine. Just Google it: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=steam+site%3Acommunity.sigames.com - there's people finding Steam a problem (both technically and in principle).

Do you reply to a lot of posts so literally or is it just this one? You surely understood what I was saying. I'm not disputing people have technical issues with Steam as many probably do with iTunes or Skype for instance but I wanted to get an idea of how many (if any at all) have simply refused to even try Football Manager 2012 because of the Steam activation that was introduced for this years game, or... as I suspect was it just a huge load of empty ultimatums from users on this forum?

I can't understand why people hate steam so much.. We are not living in the 90s anymore.

People will mistake this thread as stirring up a conflict between those who seemingly hate Steam and those who aren't the slightest bit bothered about it. I was personally just genuinely interested to see if there were any users on here who at one time or another said that they would not be buying Football Manager 2012 simply due to the Steam activation that have followed through on that claim or not?

Do you reply to a lot of posts so literally or is it just this one? You surely understood what I was saying. I'm not disputing people have technical issues with Steam as many probably do with iTunes or Skype for instance but I wanted to get an idea of how many (if any at all) have simply refused to even try Football Manager 2012 because of the Steam activation that was introduced for this years game, or... as I suspect was it just a huge load of empty ultimatums from users on this forum?
Could I know why you think it was just a whole load of empty ultimatums?

I can't understand why people hate steam so much.. We are not living in the 90s anymore.

People said the same thing when Windows 98 came out and new games did not run on 95. Then when XP came out people proceeded to complain. Then when memory went over a gig for running a game or the inclusion of dual cores, the introduction of new versions of direct X etc.

Some people do not like change, unfortunately for them the rest of the world does and it is going to keep on trucking and leave them in the dust.

Digital distribution is not only the future of PC gaming it is the present, with Steam and other services like GOG or Origin etc. estimated to account for over 2/3's of PC sales now compared to physical copies.

People saying they are going to boycott the series are going to be severely outnumbered by the much larger audience of people the series will be opened up to by switching to Steam Works, every time someone exits a game they will get a message saying that the game is now up for pre order or has been released or is on sale etc.

Not to mention those who say they wont buy something then go and do it anyway...

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/11/1258035395841.jpg

Some people just need something to bitch about.

Remember patch days in the past when the forum was taken over by people complaining that the patch was downloading so slowly or asking how they had to patch the game?

All this is gone for them as Steam does it all for you now...and still people complain.

I use Steam for all my games and gaming is my hobby(a lot less hours these days what with family life),I have used Steam for 6 years and is an absolute God send,no more having piles of game boxes and when I fancy a game of something I have not played in a while I just start up Steam and download it again,no more running up to the attic and trying to dig it out.

Also these days I can not justify spending some €50-€60 on a game,I pick up around 10 games at the Christmas and Summer sales on Steam and they keep me going the whole year(maybe the odd daily deal or other deal on Steam).

It is such a great platform and people should stop rejecting it and embrace it.