Sports Interactive Community
joseph777

Why play with just one team?

Ever since the CM-series came out I always had a passion that was quite different from most FM or CM players. But it really all started back in 2000. I came up with this idea, the idea was why limit yourself to playing with just one team? Then it became a experiment. Since I back then had a true passion for Italian football i took on the "seven sisters" of Serie A. That is Milan, Inter, Juventus, Roma, Lazio, Fiorentina and Parma. Of course I quickly realised that I had to change the game and the way I played it, so I made a few changes, one was to play with just commentary and without any highlights and at the fastest speed. Another thing was that i completely skipped any training regimes. Of course a season could take quite some time or ages to play but the more I played this way, the more hooked i became.

I often found it too easy to play against the computer so i took on seven teams in the italian league. And i always played with the same passion and heart for each of the teams. Ultimately I had found the perfect way for me to play the game. Over periods of time i tested other leagues as Premier League and La Liga too with the same concept. A few seasons in, no matter which league I played, all my teams were tuned and in shape. Of course there was always 2 of the teams that flopped during the season, or even more, but I always gave it my all for all my teams no matter what. To win the league or ultimately even the Champions Leauge became an obsession, and most of the time I found that in some multiple career modes one of my teams would win the league 2 times in a row at max. I never could get a defined winner out of the seven teams I always picked, instead the trophys were won by different teams, all managed by me. I also swore that I would never cheat and I never did as I wanted the good of things for all my clubs.

Later on when I played Premier League I picked Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Tottenham, Newcastle and Arsenal. It was epic back to back seasons all the way. I still play the game in this way most of the time nowadays, i seldom play with just one manager. Of course the seasons become long and it is a lot of matches during one season, but I stay up all night and play and still do. In the end when I have created a winner out of the seven teams i am so happy, disappointed, and cruel to some players, depending on which club it was and what the season expectations where.

I was just wondering, does anybody else do the same thing?

I played with two teams on FM11 but they were teams from different divisions. It is quite enjoyable but too time consuming.

I play the game this way because it gives me more of a challenge this way. I have also since about 2 years ago started with picking 2 teams from England, 2 from Italy and 2 from Spain to give it a more international challenge, instead of playing with 7 teams from one league.

I Like to start unemployed, the most realistic start, but if select a team will be Benfica or Manchester United, my favorite teams.

Unfortunately I cannot play with my local team, Lourinhanense is playing on Portuguese 3rd division, they were Lisbon regional champions last season.

I'am hopping that in future versions there will more Portuguese divisions, I just need one more down to be able to play with my local team.

I don't get how you could be so pleased and happy when one of your teams, inevitably, won the league.

The satisfaction, for me, comes from the possibility of losing, or getting knocked out of a cup, or finally winning something. You don't get that when you take over the best 7 teams in the league.

The next biggest attraction for me is the transfer market. When I find that gem I want them on my team, not one of my 7 teams. Who gets to sign him?

Nah, can't see any fun coming out of this, sure it may be more competitive, but when you are playing yourself there is only one winner. And it's always you. Boring.

I played with Barcelona, Inter and Man Utd.

I was unstoppable, as I could sell players around the other clubs for very cheap :D

Never a dull moment. If one team couldn't sign a youngster for work permits, I'd make Barcelona buy them, train them and offer them for free. And only accept Man Utds bid.

Fun times. Very time consuming though.

I've thought of doing this but don't really have the time. Guess I'll just be sticking to one team lol.

I usually start a save as a club and stick with them, but I currently do a journeyman save which I have a thread for in the Careers Update and I have to say, it is the best way to play.

Could be a great save in FM13 with the Pozzo owned clubs, Udinese, Granada and Watford. All three clubs feeding each other and loaning players every which way with the goal of world domination (of football).

Ever since the CM-series came out I always had a passion that was quite different from most FM or CM players. But it really all started back in 2000. I came up with this idea, the idea was why limit yourself to playing with just one team? Then it became a experiment. Since I back then had a true passion for Italian football i took on the "seven sisters" of Serie A. That is Milan, Inter, Juventus, Roma, Lazio, Fiorentina and Parma. Of course I quickly realised that I had to change the game and the way I played it, so I made a few changes, one was to play with just commentary and without any highlights and at the fastest speed. Another thing was that i completely skipped any training regimes. Of course a season could take quite some time or ages to play but the more I played this way, the more hooked i became.

I often found it too easy to play against the computer so i took on seven teams in the italian league. And i always played with the same passion and heart for each of the teams. Ultimately I had found the perfect way for me to play the game. Over periods of time i tested other leagues as Premier League and La Liga too with the same concept. A few seasons in, no matter which league I played, all my teams were tuned and in shape. Of course there was always 2 of the teams that flopped during the season, or even more, but I always gave it my all for all my teams no matter what. To win the league or ultimately even the Champions Leauge became an obsession, and most of the time I found that in some multiple career modes one of my teams would win the league 2 times in a row at max. I never could get a defined winner out of the seven teams I always picked, instead the trophys were won by different teams, all managed by me. I also swore that I would never cheat and I never did as I wanted the good of things for all my clubs.

Later on when I played Premier League I picked Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Tottenham, Newcastle and Arsenal. It was epic back to back seasons all the way. I still play the game in this way most of the time nowadays, i seldom play with just one manager. Of course the seasons become long and it is a lot of matches during one season, but I stay up all night and play and still do. In the end when I have created a winner out of the seven teams i am so happy, disappointed, and cruel to some players, depending on which club it was and what the season expectations where.

I was just wondering, does anybody else do the same thing?

Would never try this myself ever! I struggle to remember what I am doing with 1 club without trying to manage 7! I have just 1 question for you though, what did you do if you had a top player wanting to leave a club? Did you just sell him to another one of your own teams so you could keep him? Maybe even reject the AI bids if he was that good. Not saying you would cheat but I would find this side of the game paticularly hard to be fair about if I liked a player so much.

In the early days of CM/FM I would manage a top team and perhaps one at the lowest level or even in another country to give myself the experience of managing both with all the assets of a rich club plus one with no money without the need to have two saves on the go. Nowadays though FM's far to complicated & time consuming to even contemplate doing this

This is sports bigamy! It's all too similar to those sketchy friends of mine who claim to support 3 or 4 different teams. They seem to be celebrating a title every year, and I have no idea how any of those titles could feel special for them.

I'm managing two teams right now in different countries so that I can experience the challenges of teams that have different goals. The cool part is that you are playing two games at once basically. The bad side is that the processing takes longer, and the seasons go by a lot slower to the point where I don't think I'll ever see my youth players grow up before FM13 comes out.

I used to save clubs. Last FM12 save I was happily pinging around the Premiership with Forest (several seasons in) and realised Portsmouth was AGAIN in administration, with a ten point deduction and rooted to the bottom of League 1. So I added this as a second team and managed to scrabble them to safety. I usually have played several seasons with my main team, notice a team in trouble, save them, resign, play a few more seasons, find another team in trouble. Usually the second team is the weakest team in the Premiership or Championship (most recently a top flight Peterborough), a really badly managed mid-sized Premiership team (say a Fulham looking at relegation with a really poor squad), or preventing a Forest relegation if I am not playing them as my main team.

With the mid-table sides, I love nothing more than buying all the good players kicking their heels on the benches of other clubs - normally the serial bench-warmers; or else some target I like but can't justifying signing for my main team.

But all of these save jobs are normally short - usually half a season. I even resign quicker if relegation looks unlikely.

I can't even manage properly with club and country, much less 7 clubs at once. :D

You should try one from each continent to try to win all the Champions Leagues in the game (and download the New Zealand league xml for the OFC Champions League). I try and do that in my career saves, but of course, only one club at a time in a career game. :D

If I didn't take so long to complete a season, I would manage 4-5 clubs in different countries and create my own Pozzo-like partnership.

I can see how managing different teams in different countries at the same time could be pretty fun, I might give that a go myself this evening. I don't think I'd personally enjoy managing multiple teams in the same division though.

I played a game once where I had two managers at one time, and my ultimate goal was to relegate Liverpool. So what I'd do was take over two teams naturally smaller than Liverpool, build them up, make new stadiums, etc and then move onto other teams that were below them and bring them up. It was taking ages, and I eventually got bored of it, although I did manage to relegate Tottenham, so I considered that a victory.

If i had a player who wanted to leave the club then sometimes I would sell him on to a foreign club or loan him out and sometimes I would sign him for one of my other teams. In the end I must say that every team I ended up playing with were finetuned squads.

But I must agree that it takes a lot of time to play it with more than one team. That´s probably why I also have another save where I play with just one team.

A crazy idea, I wish I had time to attempt it but I simply dont. Fair play to you though a very interesting way of playing.

How do you approach games where you are playing yourself? I.e Juve vs Milan? do you decided which one you want to win and try your hardest to acheive that, or simply counter any tactical changes you make to your own team(hope that makes sense :p)

EDIT: Larryman beating me to the question :)

In the old times... I was usually pick out Fenerbahce and Liverpool same Time. But now my career direction was changed, As a journeyman (extra leagues lover-LLM Hater-Lower Leauges Addict) With my time consuming playing style (250 leagues 118 countries) probably multiple clubs could kill my work life...

How do you decide the tactics for the matches against each other? Do you have favourites and let them win? Absolute madness!

I always want all my teams to do good. I dont have any favourites but obviously it was pure fun watching a team with less money to spend taking the title ahead of the big guns. If you are the type that cheats in your games I wouldn´t advice trying to play with several teams, instead I tend to look at it as a challenge where you play for the best of each team. For natural reasons though some of your teams will find it more difficult during a season, two or three seasons.

A crazy idea, I wish I had time to attempt it but I simply dont. Fair play to you though a very interesting way of playing.

How do you approach games where you are playing yourself? I.e Juve vs Milan? do you decided which one you want to win and try your hardest to acheive that, or simply counter any tactical changes you make to your own team(hope that makes sense :p)

EDIT: Larryman beating me to the question :)

Any tactic that I draw up for one of my teams I always try to counterattack with another type of tactic with the other team. But i´ve learned playing this way you get some high dynamic games, which no one can predict at forehand.

Whenever I have manage two teams that meet in the previous challenge I referred to, I certainly play favourites. I pretty much manufacture the result. I'll pretty much have both sides field reserve sides to give the first teamers a rest. Tackling set to easy to as to avoid injuries. I'll usually try to give the win to the side that needs it more, and I'll do other things as well like try and give a striker that's low on confidence a goal, etc. As silly as that sounds, when the ultimate goal of a game is to relegate one particular team, realism and logic sort of go out the window. By any means necessary!

Concentration on one team is good. Two or more teams make me feel distracted and unable to focus my attention, making me losing some kind of eagerness and enthusiasm.

Since '04 I have always played 7 teams........I have one save that is for the NY MetroStars/Red Bulls. Another save for Arsenal and one lower division English team of choice. A third save for Paris SG & Borussia Monchengladbach. The 4th save is a La Liga team (usually Real Madrid, but sometimes Real Zaragoza or Racing Santander for a real challenge.......) along with a rotating euro league (in years past I have been PSV Eindhoven, Basel, Galatasaray, Shakhtar Donetsk, Benfica, CSKA Moscow). I enjoy experiencing the different leagues and learning about players from all leagues. The negative is that I have parallel universes for the Champions league and such. My Arsenal could not meet my Madrid for example.

I separate the saves as I do not have time to play 7 games at once as FM would force upon me -(in the case they all played on a Saturday at 1500). I enjoy watching the full game, so two in a row may be all the time I have on a given evening. One of my long time wish list items for FM is to be able to save each individual game after it is played rather then forcing me to play all the games scheduled for that Saturday @ 1500 example.

As a note, these 7 teams take me until now (September) to complete the season. Just in time for the new FM!!! Yeah!!!

Carry on my fellow multi-team managers!!!!

i don't see the benefit of it tbh... especially when you take on more than one team in the same league... what do you do when you go head to head? both play strongest teams? if so... whats the point at all? if not... same thing..

madness

In the olden days when I had time and no kids I used to have two managers. \i would start as a top European team - AC, Real, Barca etc and the other would be Unemployed with the lowest reputation. Inevitably he would start in an eastern European or Scandinavian country. The aim was for them to meet in a competitive game either league or Champions League. Happened once.

Quiet enjoyed it but do not have the time to do it now. Shame.

The only time I have managed multiple teams in 1 game is during a 2 player go with my mate Al on CM01/02 I think, might have been a different version but about that time. I went as Leeds and Inter and he went as Man Utd and Roma. It was a good game but so time consuming that we only got 2 and a half seasons done.

Yup been a multi team manager from the very beginning.(CM2). And yup still am. I love the constant diversity. Unlike you I watch all games in extended highlights and pay lots of attention to players, training, tactics and so on. Yes games do take a while to play, but for me getting thirty years into the future doesnt really interest me. I currently have Man Utd (Glory Glory!!), my hometown Newcastle Jets, Irapuato (Mex 2nd div)prom this year, Tigre(arg), Sao Paulo and just took at start of season newly promoted Chester (eng). Usually I will end up taking a few more teams but I enjoy starting the managers unemloyed barring Utd and the Jets. I also manage the Australian national team.

One thing above all for me is the diversity game to game. It keeps me very sharp in regard to tactical necessity and the player differences are fun to see. The only one thing that will be difficult for people managing at completely differnet levels game to game, is that the catch up logic is very very obvious. I play with a huge data base and currently have 55 leagues in 21 countries running. I do disable some competiotions if I have nobody playing there.

I recommend this to anyone.

pointless.

it's like starting a game of FIFA with all 4 pads wired up but you control all of them

I'm pretty sure I tried this a long time ago, maybe CM97/98. IMO it takes away the challenge as you are pretty much guarenteed to win everything between your teams.

I always start with 3 teams.

normally everton 1860 munchen and then a team in english league 2. have always done this. also start with a international team like malta / san marino etc

If it could be done faster in terms of time it would be good. Usually nowadays the game takes so much time that I don´t often play this way anymore. Just completing a season with 7 teams takes forever. But of course in FM13 it would be interesting to continue, as you have the instant result option then.

i have done it ever since i have started playing this, play with luton town(local team) and arsenal(the team i support) and sometimes i will go for 3 and randomnise it and make it fun

Yup been a multi team manager from the very beginning.(CM2). And yup still am. I love the constant diversity. Unlike you I watch all games in extended highlights and pay lots of attention to players, training, tactics and so on. Yes games do take a while to play, but for me getting thirty years into the future doesnt really interest me. I currently have Man Utd (Glory Glory!!), my hometown Newcastle Jets, Irapuato (Mex 2nd div)prom this year, Tigre(arg), Sao Paulo and just took at start of season newly promoted Chester (eng). Usually I will end up taking a few more teams but I enjoy starting the managers unemloyed barring Utd and the Jets. I also manage the Australian national team.

One thing above all for me is the diversity game to game. It keeps me very sharp in regard to tactical necessity and the player differences are fun to see. The only one thing that will be difficult for people managing at completely differnet levels game to game, is that the catch up logic is very very obvious. I play with a huge data base and currently have 55 leagues in 21 countries running. I do disable some competiotions if I have nobody playing there.

I recommend this to anyone.

I might try this...I suppose it gets round the problem of poor IA teams...although managing seven teams in the same division will take some remembering!

I am managing Leeds United and Jamaica at the moment and that is more than enough. I can't fathom how anyone could play 7 teams at once. Gosh a day in game would take aages to play. You must have lots of time or pateince. But glad you like playing the game your way. That's what FM is good for. The game can be played many ways and all enjoyable to soemone ;)

Yep I do the same. I make unwritten rules though that only players that have been scouted can be bid by that team. I can manage from 2/3 upto 7/8 as well, same league or different leagues. Never last more than a season or two but this is why I'm looking forward to FMC so I can instant result them. I can live without press conferences, player teamtalks etc. I just hope that you can still make your own cups and leagues in the editors in FMC.

I do this as well usally in England 1 team in each division with no inter action between they, sometimes it works well with teams other times I fail and get the sack.

I sometimes manage two or three clubs - normally a big team and two smaller teams, in order to give player time to my stars of the future. Too many times have I loaned out potential stars so they get game time, to find them not playing at all.

For example, I'm currently managing Man Utd, Watford and Hertha Berlin. So I loan out my United stars and it helps their progression whilst saving money at the smaller clubs!