Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
JordanBlackpoolFC

New Laptop/PC - Help Needed

Recommended Posts

The processor is same. On the PC specialist it's double the ram.

PC specialist also has 1tb ssd and PC world has half that.

 If you want I can take a closer look on Monday.

I'm off on holidays until then and prob won't be checking in much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Smurf said:

The processor is same. On the PC specialist it's double the ram.

PC specialist also has 1tb ssd and PC world has half that.

 If you want I can take a closer look on Monday.

I'm off on holidays until then and prob won't be checking in much.

No its all good, The one you pointed out is perfect. Your input is very much appreciated and if you ever make a Cork City game Ill buy you a pint!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how would this perform, 

dell insipiron i5 7000 gaming 

windows 10 64 bit

intel i5-7300hq @ 2.50 ghz 

8gb ram 

nvidia ge force GTX 1050

 

thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi Guys, 

I recently sold my MacBook Pro - Cause i don’t use my private laptop as much these days. 

But i really miss playing FM - so i’m on the market for a cheap laptop. 

I’m from Denmark which mean i Need a laptop with Nordic layout. 

I found this:

LENOVO V110-15ISH

- intel I5 6200U 

- 8 GB RAM

- 256 GB SSD 

- AMD Radeon R5 M430 2GB

 Price: 450GBP 

By danish standards this is close to the cheapest a laptop can get.

My main issue is the I5 - Its a pretty old one. On the other end i had it in my MacBook and it ran FM on a decent level   

 

Edited by NewGambino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NewGambino said:

Hi Guys, 

I recently sold my MacBook Pro - Cause i don’t use my private laptop as much these days. 

But i really miss playing FM - so i’m on the market for a cheap laptop. 

I’m from Denmark which mean i Need a laptop with Nordic layout. 

I found this:

LENOVO V110-15ISH

- intel I5 6200U 

- 8 GB RAM

- 256 GB SSD 

- AMD Radeon R5 M430 2GB

 Price: 450GBP 

By danish standards this is close to the cheapest a laptop can get.

My main issue is the I5 - Its a pretty old one. On the other end i had it in my MacBook and it ran FM on a decent level   

 

It always amazes me that people spend over 1249gbp  on a computer for a Macbook Pro and then expect the same performance from a computer worth 450gbp.

It's madness.

Without knowing the exact model of your MacBook Pro then I wouldn't be able to know what parts it had. 

There's a list here though in regards to the processors https://everymac.com/systems/by_processor/intel-core-i7-macs.html


Can you stretch your budget a little bit? 

https://www.newegg.com/global/dk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154733&ignorebbr=1

OR

https://www.laptop6.com/dk/laptops/dell/vostro-3568-(z553501uin9)-core-i5-2017-1347

 

This one is an older model with a 4th generation processor - but it would be ok

https://www.laptop6.com/dk/laptops/asus/x550jx-15.6-inches-display-933

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there i don’t have a clue about laptops so bare with me I know this gets asked all the time so thanks in advance,but could someone recommend a laptop £500 ish, will only be used for fm and general internet use,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smurf said:

It always amazes me that people spend over 1249gbp  on a computer for a Macbook Pro and then expect the same performance from a computer worth 450gbp.

It's madness.

Without knowing the exact model of your MacBook Pro then I wouldn't be able to know what parts it had. 

There's a list here though in regards to the processors https://everymac.com/systems/by_processor/intel-core-i7-macs.html


Can you stretch your budget a little bit? 

https://www.newegg.com/global/dk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154733&ignorebbr=1

OR

https://www.laptop6.com/dk/laptops/dell/vostro-3568-(z553501uin9)-core-i5-2017-1347

 

This one is an older model with a 4th generation processor - but it would be ok

https://www.laptop6.com/dk/laptops/asus/x550jx-15.6-inches-display-933

I never mentioned that i expected the same performance. I did however mention that the MacBook i had (model no. a1708) had an I5 6360 CPU with a 2.0GHZ clock speed.

I bought the MacBook to do alot og typing on - and I don’t ever think you get a better laptop for that. However - i sold the MacBook Cause i didn’t Really use it that much. And it ran extremely hot under loads in FM. 

Therefor I am seeking a cheap laptop for playing FM... 

so... No... Im not expecting a 450 quid Machine to out performe a 1200+ MacBook  

I am willing to stretch my budget a bit   

There is a offer on a Lenovo Y520 atm with these stats 

i5-7300Hq

8gb ram

1050gtx 2 GB 

256gb SSD 

 

for only 650 gbp

 

maybe i should step my budget up with 200 and byt that? It Will outperform my old MacBook in literally all factors  

 

would you recommend smurf

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewGambino said:

I never mentioned that i expected the same performance. I did however mention that the MacBook i had (model no. a1708) had an I5 6360 CPU with a 2.0GHZ clock speed.

I bought the MacBook to do alot og typing on - and I don’t ever think you get a better laptop for that. However - i sold the MacBook Cause i didn’t Really use it that much. And it ran extremely hot under loads in FM. 

Therefor I am seeking a cheap laptop for playing FM... 

so... No... Im not expecting a 450 quid Machine to out performe a 1200+ MacBook  

I am willing to stretch my budget a bit   

There is a offer on a Lenovo Y520 atm with these stats 

i5-7300Hq

8gb ram

1050gtx 2 GB 

256gb SSD 

 

for only 650 gbp

 

maybe i should step my budget up with 200 and byt that? It Will outperform my old MacBook in literally all factors  

 

would you recommend smurf

 

I've reread your original post and don't see where you mentioned the model...

Anyway...the one you have there is a lot better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sloany94 said:

Hi there i don’t have a clue about laptops so bare with me I know this gets asked all the time so thanks in advance,but could someone recommend a laptop £500 ish, will only be used for fm and general internet use,

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16JD21-068-MSI-Prestige-PL62-7RC-068UK-in-Sliver_2197296.html

 

3 hours ago, HolmesyNUFC2008 said:

Hi, been looking at laptops, just want to know if this laptop would be good for FM18,https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-pro-14-bf054sa-14-laptop-silver-10164462-pdt.html  after something light and small so this looks good just want to know if the performance would be good?

Cheers

 

Jeepers No!!!

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-14A112-090-MSI-GS40-6QE(Phantom)-090UK_1945621.html

The only down on it is that the batter life when not plugged in it has only 3-4 hour battery.

Something with more battery life - but a bit more expensive

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/AERO14K-V7-CF4G-Gigabyte-Aero-14K-V7-CF4G_2185438.html

 

Or a custom build - you'd need to check with their forum for weight/portability

Chassis & Display
Defiance Series: 14" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 7700HQ (2.8GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti - 4.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
256GB M.2 2280, SATA 6Gb/s (546MB/R, 477MB/W)
Battery
Defiance Series 3 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (45WH)
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Thermal Paste
EK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND

Price £980.00 including VAT and delivery

Unique URL to re-configure : https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/defianceiii-14/Ep7JUjMcHe/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Smurf, thanks for your reply mate, going to look into the laptops you said. What was the problem with the one I suggested, just out of curiosity. The reason I choose that one is its about 3 times better than the one I have now ha! my current spec is i5 M430 2.27ghz with 4gb Ram and ATI Mobility Radeon graphics, I bought it in 2009. Its playing FM18 no problem at the minute with English leagues and medium data base, I am just a casual user and don't really play anything else. Cheers any info would be appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The processor type is not right, a U processor won't cut it for FM or longevity really. 

Personally I'd go for the PC specialist one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I would like to buy a desktop computer (I have a monitor and everything else) for FM 18, my budget is very limited... what can I get for 340 EUR (410 USD or 300 GBP) and that's my total maximum I can spend.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any recommendations on which sites are good to get lappy on finance, cant afford one outright and my current pc is really starting to show its age now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, WizirRS said:

Hi, I would like to buy a desktop computer (I have a monitor and everything else) for FM 18, my budget is very limited... what can I get for 340 EUR (410 USD or 300 GBP) and that's my total maximum I can spend.

Cheers

I wouldn't be comfortable recommending something in that price range. It would be a waste of money. Best to save a bit more.

11 hours ago, wong said:

Any recommendations on which sites are good to get lappy on finance, cant afford one outright and my current pc is really starting to show its age now

I know box.co.uk and their sister site save on laptops do. As probably John Lewis as do very.co.uk I'm sure if you look around you'll find others 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Smurf

I was going for the top one. That you kindly recommended to me but it's out of stock everywhere I've

looked and doesn't give a date when it will be back in stock.

I've been looking at the other one, not to sure because it doesn't have a discdrive

Can you please tell me if the other one would be ok or should I wait for other one to come back into stock

or do you have any others in mind?

Cheers Mate

https://www.box.co.uk/1GP04EAABU-HP-OMEN-17-w206na_2076999.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-1799E5-1414-MSI-GL72M-7REX-1414UK_2263497.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, thnigelfc said:

Hi Smurf

I was going for the top one. That you kindly recommended to me but it's out of stock everywhere I've

looked and doesn't give a date when it will be back in stock.

I've been looking at the other one, not to sure because it doesn't have a discdrive

Can you please tell me if the other one would be ok or should I wait for other one to come back into stock

or do you have any others in mind?

Cheers Mate

https://www.box.co.uk/1GP04EAABU-HP-OMEN-17-w206na_2076999.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-1799E5-1414-MSI-GL72M-7REX-1414UK_2263497.html

Either of those are GREAT options - personally I can't pick one or the other - do a bit of research on both and make up your own mind - but I can't separate them.

 

I know I'm pushing your budget up and up and up but if you're thinking of 900 then could you possibly do 1000?


Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 7700HQ (2.8GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 - 4.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Hard Disk
500GB SEAGATE SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
256GB M.2 2280, SATA 6Gb/s (546MB/R, 477MB/W)

Thermal Paste
EK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND

Price £1,005.00 including VAT and delivery

Unique URL to re-configure : https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/optimusviii-17/bDrXCSq0Nv/

 

I don't want to push you into a decision or anything like that - and if budget is an issue go for the cheaper one. Which I think was the Omen.

I do like the HP Omen... but I've always wanted an MSI... 

Decisions...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you know by any chance the best site to get the Helios 300 Predator in Italy? Or anything with a i7 7700hq, 1060 and 16gb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't know particular Italian sites but I just googled Helios 300 Predator in Italy and the precise one came up - fortunately!

https://it-store.acer.com/predator-helios-300-notebook-gaming-ph317-51-nero

 

However, PC specialist deliver to Italy - they don't have the Helios 300 Predator however, it's the same components

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 7700HQ (2.8GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 - 6.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Hard Disk
500GB SEAGATE SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
256GB M.2 2280, SATA 6Gb/s (546MB/R, 477MB/W)

Thermal Paste
EK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND

Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode

Delivery
3 - 4 DAY DELIVERY TO ITALY
Build Time
FAST TRACK 3 W
Price €1.551,00 including IVA and delivery

Unique URL to re-configure : https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/optimusviii-17-1060/J9tGfFUb5c/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:01, Smurf said:

Either of those are GREAT options - personally I can't pick one or the other - do a bit of research on both and make up your own mind - but I can't separate them.

 

I know I'm pushing your budget up and up and up but if you're thinking of 900 then could you possibly do 1000?


Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 7700HQ (2.8GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 - 4.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Hard Disk
500GB SEAGATE SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
256GB M.2 2280, SATA 6Gb/s (546MB/R, 477MB/W)

Thermal Paste
EK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND

Price £1,005.00 including VAT and delivery

Unique URL to re-configure : https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/optimusviii-17/bDrXCSq0Nv/

 

I don't want to push you into a decision or anything like that - and if budget is an issue go for the cheaper one. Which I think was the Omen.

I do like the HP Omen... but I've always wanted an MSI... 

Decisions...

Making decisions isn't my forte but I've decided to go to the limit of my budget.

I'm going for the middle of the three and have bought the MSI,should be delivered this week.

Thanks for all you help Smurf much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/03/2018 at 12:01, Smurf said:

Either of those are GREAT options - personally I can't pick one or the other - do a bit of research on both and make up your own mind - but I can't separate them.

 

I know I'm pushing your budget up and up and up but if you're thinking of 900 then could you possibly do 1000?


Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 7700HQ (2.8GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 - 4.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Hard Disk
500GB SEAGATE SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
256GB M.2 2280, SATA 6Gb/s (546MB/R, 477MB/W)

Thermal Paste
EK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND

Price £1,005.00 including VAT and delivery

Unique URL to re-configure : https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/optimusviii-17/bDrXCSq0Nv/

 

I don't want to push you into a decision or anything like that - and if budget is an issue go for the cheaper one. Which I think was the Omen.

I do like the HP Omen... but I've always wanted an MSI... 

Decisions...

Hi Smurf,

Firstly, many thanks for all your help on this thread - I've actually ended up purchasing the above on your recommendation after taking a further look.

Cheers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ally318 said:

I've heard good morning things about 8th gen U processors. But I still wouldn't get this one. I'll be home later and see if I can find anything better for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know how good a Haswell intel i7 4790 (non K) will be for Football Manager ? 

My current CPU is a intel i5 4460 

Will the upgrade allow me to add a couple more leagues to the game ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thehig1 said:

Does anyone know how good a Haswell intel i7 4790 (non K) will be for Football Manager ? 

My current CPU is a intel i5 4460 

Will the upgrade allow me to add a couple more leagues to the game ?

It should definitely be better - how many more leagues it will run is ambigious. 

Why such an old model of processor though - they're 4th generation - we're nearly on generation 8!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ally318 said:

Thanks, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to help Smurf. I’ll be hoping to play with 4 to 5 leagues with a medium database, will this laptop be able to run this reasonably quick and not have the fan loudly kick in when processing’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe it would be fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a offer Hp z200, Intel i7-3770, Ram 8gb, Hdd 1tb or ssd 120gb, Nvidia 1030 2gb ddr5... all for 360 EUR, is it a good deal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a bit on the old side - but would work for FM. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

How would this laptop run FM18 - i don’t know alot about AMD cpu and I’ve tried different benchmark sites but I can’t figure out if it’s a decent CPU and how it compared to Intel options  

The laptop is on offer for 420GPB (normal pris is 540GBP) - so it’s a pretty good deal... or?

- AMD A10-9620p 2.5GHZ

- 8 GB RAM

- 128 GB SSD

- AMD Radeon RX540 2GB 

Here is a link (in danish)

https://www.komplett.dk/product/952796/pc-tablets/pc-baerbar-laptop/alle-baerbare/acer-aspire-5-156-hd-mat

 

 

Edited by NewGambino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, NewGambino said:

How would this laptop run FM18 - i don’t know alot about AMD cpu and I’ve tried different benchmark sites but I can’t figure out if it’s a decent CPU and how it compared to Intel options  

The laptop is on offer for 420GPB (normal pris is 540GBP) - so it’s a pretty good deal... or?

- AMD A10-9620p 2.5GHZ

- 8 GB RAM

- 128 GB SSD

- AMD Radeon RX540 2GB 

Here is a link (in danish)

https://www.komplett.dk/product/952796/pc-tablets/pc-baerbar-laptop/alle-baerbare/acer-aspire-5-156-hd-mat

 

 

See where the processor is ranked here

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html

It's no. 300 and something.

 

I would look no further than around the 156 mark on this list. If it's below that then I wouldn't go for it for FM.

 

And something that has a base speed of 2.2ghz minimum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Smurf said:

It should definitely be better - how many more leagues it will run is ambigious. 

Why such an old model of processor though - they're 4th generation - we're nearly on generation 8!

stuck with LGA 1150 because I cant be bothered changing my motherboard.

Got the CPU today FM runs faster, it ran fine with my i5 but its noticeably faster with my i7. 

I also wanted to upgrade CPU for Kingdom Come Deliverance, was getting frame drops and 100% usage, the extra clock speed and hyper threading of the i7 should make it run better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RedJonnyBoy said:

It's pretty nice alright - that's for sure

I put together similar specs on PC Specialist and it comes in around the same price - except I added a small amount of cooling and some thermal paste, a memory card reader and few other little things

I'm not familiar with Stormforce - so I can't comment on their build quality

- but the PC specialist would be a quality build for sure.

 

Case
STYLISH PIANO BLACK ENIGMA CASE + 2 FRONT USB
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor i7-7700k (4.2GHz) 8MB Cache ()
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME Z270-K: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk
3TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
256GB M.2 2280, SATA 6Gb/s (546MB/R, 477MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Super Quiet Titan DragonFly Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
EK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Google Chrome™
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days
Quantity
1

Price £1,530.00 including VAT and delivery

Unique URL to re-configure : https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/intel-z270-pc/RpcHCUVXrd/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Smurf said:

It's pretty nice alright - that's for sure

I put together similar specs on PC Specialist and it comes in around the same price - except I added a small amount of cooling and some thermal paste, a memory card reader and few other little things

I'm not familiar with Stormforce - so I can't comment on their build quality

- but the PC specialist would be a quality build for sure.

 

Case
STYLISH PIANO BLACK ENIGMA CASE + 2 FRONT USB
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor i7-7700k (4.2GHz) 8MB Cache ()
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME Z270-K: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk
3TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
256GB M.2 2280, SATA 6Gb/s (546MB/R, 477MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Super Quiet Titan DragonFly Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
EK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Google Chrome™
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days
Quantity
1

Price £1,530.00 including VAT and delivery

Unique URL to re-configure : https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/intel-z270-pc/RpcHCUVXrd/

Looks good. However, I would prefer a bigger power supply and it doesn't have a wireless setup. Also, the Stormforce model includes water cooling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can reconfigure it how you like - there's more options for powersupply. And there's options for cooling. 

As said - I'm not sure about Stormforce build quality - you'd have to look into that.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-mac-desktops/stormforce-tornado-1326737/review

I'm not sure if the review is biased or not.

 

It's up to yourself, spending that much money - I'd spend extra to ensure the build quality was correct.

 

However, the Stormforce model you picked out looks fantastic, if you decide to go for it please do return to the forums and let us know how it's running for you!

It looks great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2018 at 12:17, Smurf said:

The processor type is not right, a U processor won't cut it for FM or longevity really. 

Personally I'd go for the PC specialist one. 

I respectfully disagree.. The 8th gen 'U' processors are a beast! ... I have a Surface Book 2 with an  i7-8650U and the game runs amazing, running it with 15+ leagues and while it's not on par with my desktop (6850k) it performs perfectly fine. 

I agree the 7th gen U processors weren't up to par being dual core, but these quad-core with peaks of 4200mhz are simply amazing. It outperforms my 7700HQ on my Blade.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's great to hear that it is good and working for you. 

As I said, longevity is key, and the 8th gen U processor is new to the market, so it's impossible to tell without personally testing it myself.

And I can't personally test every single processor out there.

 

The U processors up to now have been quite poor for FM.

 

You have 15+ leagues running - how many divisions - what size database - all active leagues or just running 3 leagues and the rest in the background?

What's your playing style, do you play for 5 seasons and start over, 10 seasons - or 1 gigantic long save? 

 

It would also be interesting to know how FM19 - FM 20 - FM 21 - FM 22 - etc. will run on the 8th gen U processors? 

It's great that it works now - I would need a lot more information on

Playing Style (how many seasons
Divisions/League/Database size
 

And progression day to day - this is key for a lot of people
1 minute is fast to some people and 1 minute is slow to people.

 

But thank you for your input on your 8th Gen U processor - it's definitely interesting to know that it runs really well! 

Interesting... I'm still very far off recommending a U processor for FM though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Smurf said:

That's great to hear that it is good and working for you. 

As I said, longevity is key, and the 8th gen U processor is new to the market, so it's impossible to tell without personally testing it myself.

And I can't personally test every single processor out there.

 

The U processors up to now have been quite poor for FM.

 

You have 15+ leagues running - how many divisions - what size database - all active leagues or just running 3 leagues and the rest in the background?

What's your playing style, do you play for 5 seasons and start over, 10 seasons - or 1 gigantic long save? 

 

It would also be interesting to know how FM19 - FM 20 - FM 21 - FM 22 - etc. will run on the 8th gen U processors? 

It's great that it works now - I would need a lot more information on

Playing Style (how many seasons
Divisions/League/Database size
 

And progression day to day - this is key for a lot of people
1 minute is fast to some people and 1 minute is slow to people.

 

But thank you for your input on your 8th Gen U processor - it's definitely interesting to know that it runs really well! 

Interesting... I'm still very far off recommending a U processor for FM though.

1

Longevity with processors is very relative, I've been a PC user since 1990 and gaming on it ever since, I've seen it all, CPU's fail, however, they have come along way. Thermo throttling has greatly increased the longevity of CPU's in general. 

 

As far as my playing style, I run every division of around 15 leagues and play 10 seasons+ (on my 6th season with one of my saves on the laptop).... I even increase the DB size through advance setting as I want every detail/person from a couple of countries. My DB size is ~85k on both my save files (on my desktop running an i7-6850k a my laptop with the new U processor) sure, my desktop is faster but I've put ~200 hours on my laptop (I travel a lot) and have noticed nothing that worries me at all.... sure there's a bit of throttling on the U series since the CPU tries to stay within 15W but there's never been a temp issue or a slowdown compared to older U series which were unusable.

 

I can't say how FM22 will run, but can you be sure that an 8th gen i7 desktop grade will work by then? no, no one can't. I get it you're worried and you can't recommend it, I respect that. I, however, can fully recommend the U series at least running on the Surface Book 2, it's been rock solid. I can provide additional details for anyone wanting more details if anyone is interested and I can actually do a comparison with my desktop of my Razer Blade with he 7700HQ (which I'm selling soon as the SB2 just trounces in every which way, at least for my use)

NotebookCheck did a very thorough comparison between the HQ and the new U-series... I too was surprised.

 

https://www.notebookcheck.com/7700HQ-vs-8650U-vs-8550U-vs-8550U_8400_8400_9212_9208.247552.0.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In that regard, I only feel comfortable offering advice on something that I know has longevity. I'm not saying 8th Gen i5 8xxx or i7 8xxx are bad at all, I just don't know enough about them to recommend them, and that's a personal comfortability with me. 

You answered some of my questions but didn't answer them all. 

There is a benchmarking thread around here - if you would be so kind to do the benchmarking test that would be great.

 

You're persuading to at least recommend for someone who travels a lot, it probably is very suitable.

However, I never try to get into a "processor war" with people. It's not about which processor is absolutely best for me, it's about providing longevity. It's about maximising a persons budget. 

If someone comes with a budget of 1000gbp then I would give them a 7700hq or higher, over a U processor - any day of the week. 

But someone on a tighter budget and it came down between an i7 8th gen and an i7 7th gen, then of course the answer is clear.

 

I always try to take into account the persons usage, battery time, size, weight, needs of the game etc. 

It's a complicated mix of what I try to get out from each forum postee, but if their budget is 600gbp then I'll find them a better processor for FM, something better than 6th/7th gen U processor. 

That's my only goal really, stay within budget and get the best processor possible. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All is the below graphics card suitable for FM 2018?

AMD Radeon™ 530 Graphics with 4GB GDDR5 graphics memory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an entry level graphics card - which means it's on the lower end. It should be fine, but you might have to tweak the match detail level in the graphics to suit you, like stadium graphics, crowds, banners, outside, etc. But should be ok on low-medium settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Would that graphics card be any better than Intel® UHD Graphics 620?

Would the Intel be ok for FM?

Many thanks

Edited by Connor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×