FM 13 New Video: Changes in Training

Smurf

• SI Staff
Between the video and Riz's post above I get the impression that Personal Training schedules are gone but you can still use focus training to target one attribute.

You can still assign individual training to players for both single attributes or the attributes linked to a specific role you want him to play.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It'll be very useful in honing a player so that he fits into the role you want him to be in your tactics.

If he plays DLF in tactics you get him to train as DLF and he'll, hopefully, improve on those attributes over others that aren't as necessary for a DLF

Basically SI have made it so that the tactic creator amd training go hand-in-hand.

I do like that you can change the focus of the tactics in advance. Although I hope that if you have a postonement you can set that weeks training to a heavier workload during the week and it would have an effect.

I wonder how much difference there is in training between the career and FMC modes. I suspect that the Individual tab may be missing for FMC.

Must have missed that, will need to rewatch. Excellent stuff if that's the case. Really looking forward to training now

You can still assign individual training to players for both single attributes or the attributes linked to a specific role you want him to play.

But the personalized sliders option is gone? Is it completely reworked or still driving the whole thing underneath, just inaccessible to us? If it's the former - fair enough, but if it's still the same module with a new coat on then I don't quite understand the motivation behind the change.

If you want the full, in depth, experience there's the option to worry about whether your youth team fitness coach needs another badge (which will probably require you to opt out of eating, sleeping and bathing for the first month after the game is released to finish a season). The FMC option is becoming more attractive to me.

So you're confirming you've dumbed down the training for the casual idiots who couldn't figure it out?

Great. Training was one aspect I felt was perfect. It was a great tool in helping your team for those who put the effort in.

Now it's dumbed down for casual idiots, removing choice and variability from the player, in exchange for pre-set 'roles' that may not have anything to do with the actual role I want to use a player in.

The video shows that the individual training has been replaced with a 'one size fits all' option called 'focus'.

This then comes into a drop-down menu which you can set either one of the 'roles' or an attribute.

Also the players 'roles' are limited by their position.

So if you have a wing-back you want to re-train into a attacking wing-forward, you won't be able to give them a 'focus' that matches your intention because SI have locked you out of the training of the player except for their pre-set casual friendly noob choices.

You also can't train an attribute and a role at the same time.

So what actually happens with training now? Players just do the exact same thing no matter what?

If I don't set a 'focus' will my fast poacher end up doing the exact same training as a lumbering target man?

This is a joke. It's taken away control and destroyed the depth of this module simply to cater to casual idiots.

So you're confirming you've dumbed down the training for the casual idiots who couldn't figure it out?

Great. Training was one aspect I felt was perfect. It was a great tool in helping your team for those who put the effort in.

Now it's dumbed down for casual idiots, removing choice and variability from the player, in exchange for pre-set 'roles' that may not have anything to do with the actual role I want to use a player in.

Think most people on this forum could figure it out, it's been explained many times very well in the tactics forum over the years

But it wasn't at all realistic, and now it sounds like it will be.

Are you able to let your best Youth players 'Train with the 1st team' without moving them from the youth team? On FM2012 the only way to get players to train with the first team was to move the player to the reserves or first team, and therefore they would not be part of the youth squad anymore..

Think most people on this forum could figure it out, it's been explained many times very well in the tactics forum over the years

But it wasn't at all realistic, and now it sounds like it will be.

How exactly is it any more realistic? Players can still train for 'roles' which is exactly what the sliders did, except they did it better. They can still train attributes, just like the old style.

This isn't any more or less realistic, it's just less control and dumbed down for casual idiots.

I don't see why we shouldn't have access to the underlying sliders, just like they made it with tactics. I never mess with the sliders because it is too cumbersome, but if some people like it, why ruin it for them?

Tbh, because they dont make sense.. Nothing in real life is tweaked with sliders (not in football at least..)

I dont know if the new system will be better, but I welcome the change! - Always hated the sliders.. I want to give instructions, not to give +1 to this slider and -2 on that slider.. just feels so "fake"

I want a system where I can tailor the training for the coming week and then work on the individual player aswell.. Old system did the latter well, but the first poorly.. the new system seems to do the first well and the latter.. well.. lets see how it plays.. :) From the video log I suspect it wont be detailed enough, but too early to judge

How exactly is it any more realistic? Players can still train for 'roles' which is exactly what the sliders did, except they did it better. They can still train attributes, just like the old style.

This isn't any more or less realistic, it's just less control and dumbed down for casual idiots.

Yeah and sliders are for the really really intelligent people, right? :rolleyes:

Dumbest comment on the forums this week.. congrats :thup:

Are you able to let your best Youth players 'Train with the 1st team' without moving them from the youth team? On FM2012 the only way to get players to train with the first team was to move the player to the reserves or first team, and therefore they would not be part of the youth squad anymore..

I miss the "put in reserves for 2 weeks" options..

I'd like one for youth players with "train with first team -> 1 week, 2 week, 1 month or end of season"

Yeah and sliders are for the really really intelligent people, right? :rolleyes:

Dumbest comment on the forums this week.. congrats :thup:

Compared to 'click a button for a pre-set role', then yeah, the sliders, which have multiple different combinations of training areas (as opposed to one-button fits all 'focus') requires more intelligent usage than the new system.

Compared to 'click a button for a pre-set role', then yeah, the sliders, which have multiple different combinations of training areas (as opposed to one-button fits all 'focus') requires more intelligent usage than the new system.

The old training system required no intelligence at all, you just moved the slider that had the right attribute written on it.

On a side note, please try and be less aggressive and disparaging with your tone on here, it's just not called for.

Tbh, because they dont make sense.. Nothing in real life is tweaked with sliders (not in football at least..)

It's all up to your imagination in this game. If you in tactics can tell a player not to shoot from distance (long shots slider 0), then you just as well can tell him to hit the gym all week (strength slider on intense) and not to train tackling (def training slider at min).

And I'll repeat - it can be there only for people who want it. You can totally ignore it without consequences if you like the presets better. Just like tactics.

Why oppose sliders and ruin the experience for other players, when it doesn't affect you at all?

It's all up to your imagination in this game. If you in tactics can tell a player not to shoot from distance (long shots slider 0), then you just as well can tell him to hit the gym all week (strength slider on intense) and not to train tackling (def training slider at min).

And I'll repeat - it can be there only for people who want it. You can totally ignore it without consequences if you like the presets better. Just like tactics.

Why oppose sliders and ruin the experience for other players, when it doesn't affect you at all?

I do use the sliders in FM2012.. very much so.. as the alternative isnt sufficient for me.. however this new system "seems" to be alot better and hopefully we can get rid of the sliders.. IF the new system doesnt offer a sufficently detailed level I think the sliders should stay as an alternative, but the sliders are so 90'-ish and unrealistic that they should be removed as soon as they can cook up a better system (which they hopefully have for FM13)

I really dont understand why people are so afraid of changes.. change is good (most of the time).. In this case it seems to be good.

Seems like SI whipped this up on a lazy Friday afternoon. Again, another feature that just could be made so much better; and to think they've had a year to work on a new release?! Not impressed.

Do you really think they do changes per yearly cycles? Some features and updates take years to complete and implement to the game.

Seems like SI whipped this up on a lazy Friday afternoon. Again, another feature that just could be made so much better; and to think they've had a year to work on a new release?! Not impressed.

ok.. thank you for that valuable insight :)

Although it didn't work as intended, I always preferred the old-old way of setting up training with actual scheduled regimes of 5-a-side games and all that. I think it's great that SI are trying to bring that level of immersion back while retaining the mechanics that work.

Can't wait to give it a go.

Although I do not agree with the language, and the "casual idiots", i must agree with one thing.

This feature gives de user less control.

Perhaps SI try to do with the training module the same they do with tactics. But with tactics, despite TC, the user mantain the same control of the game and the tactic.

In the new training, we have less options. And for a game that, version after version, year after year, always give us more options, it's a strange feeling.

Again, the major fear i have is the way this will influence the players evolution.

You won't know if it's more or less control until you try it.

In FM2012 we could do pretty much everything in terms of training:

1) built a training regime for each type of player, or for each player

2) assign individual training

3) assign new positional training

In FM2013 the first item does not exist. Instead you'll have 7 pre-set regimes that you must define for every player of your team. You can change the regime every week... but when you change for one player, you change for all players.

This, for me is having less control. Lesser options, less control.

And the "it's not realistic" argument about the FM2012 training module. Ok, it could not be 100% realistic... but... what about this new regime?

No specific trainings for gk? And do you really think that in professional futebol defenders train the same way as fowards?

In a couple of weeks, i could change my mind... but for now, honestly, this new feature really feels like a BIG disapointement! :(

I have some doubts about the new system... mainly centred around player development and the possibility in long-term games to have a bunch of regens that look virtually the same in each position, and the ability to work on weak areas of a players' game (yes it's possible to set individual focus, but to me that seems like it will be the micro-management that SI are getting away from).

Ultimately though, no-one is going to know how it works until we can try the demo and then full-game. I'll give it a chance and see how it goes :)

In FM2012 we could do pretty much everything in terms of training:

1) built a training regime for each type of player, or for each player

2) assign individual training

3) assign new positional training

In FM2013 the first item does not exist. Instead you'll have 7 pre-set regimes that you must define for every player of your team. You can change the regime every week... but when you change for one player, you change for all players.

This, for me is having less control. Lesser options, less control.

And the "it's not realistic" argument about the FM2012 training module. Ok, it could not be 100% realistic... but... what about this new regime?

No specific trainings for gk? And do you really think that in professional futebol defenders train the same way as fowards?

In a couple of weeks, i could change my mind... but for now, honestly, this new feature really feels like a BIG disapointement! :(

I don't understad the bold part.

What I have saw in the video blog in Individual Training is two type of Focus: Individual Role and Specific Attribute.

Surprised by the diversity of opinions. I'm one of those who loves (loved?) the training system. Sure, it isn't exactly "realistic", but it is its own long-term game whereby you carefully develop players with a nudge here and a loan there. I'm concerned that player development is going the way of the press conference and will just be a weekly annoyance of filling out forms with little benefit. It is about 1/2 of the fun for me, and letting it go is going to be painful, if I can stand it at all.

I suppose it is good that many people are optimistic about it. I don't think the new system offers enough influence on player development. I don't want a plastic thing that is 2-dimensionally "realistic". I want a 3-dimensional gaming choice that I can use my imagination upon.

I don't understad the bold part.

What I have saw in the video blog in Individual Training is two type of Focus: Individual Role and Specific Attribute.

And if you are trying to train a specific attribute then you can't pick a role so you end up with a player on some unknown default training.

This is dumbed down.

And if you are trying to train a specific attribute then you can't pick a role so you end up with a player on some unknown default training.

This is dumbed down.

No. It is fairly intuitive. For example if you want your striker to be a deep lying playmaker you would train him in the DMC position and in the deep lying playmaker set of attributes. I'm guessing that over time the shooting and aerobic attributes will erode while the attacking, ball control and tactics attributes that is highlighted in the DLP tactics screen will improve. Well I hope this is the case. I am kinda bummed out that I can't individually take care of a 'project' player anymore but I am willing to give the new system a shot. Hopefully in future updates SI can integrate individual training in as well. Perhaps limit it to how many coaches you have as I'd imagine irl clubs can't be individually tailoring training regimes en masse. It is a fairly involved thing.

"You can still assign individual training to players for both single attributes or the attributes linked to a specific role you want him to play." I really do hope the second part of that statement is effective ingame. I like training some wingers as strikers and wingers as full backs etc...

If sliders are gone it's more realistic there are no sliders irl

I get the sentiment but that argument doesn't really hold water.

If sliders are gone it's more realistic there are no sliders irl

IRL there are no drop down menus either. Guess what? FM is a computer game. It needs an interface that allows the user to interact with it. It's not about whether having sliders is realistic or not. The question is if the underlying system you control through whichever interface works realistically. If they haven't done anything to the mechanics behind the interface, opting to put a new coat on it instead while taking away our ability to go into more detail with it, then I don't see how it's a step forward in any way.

Is it too much to ask for the videos to actually talk about what goes on under the hood rather than just showing off the interface? From what I can gather the training hasn't actually been changed, it's just a new skin on top of the old stuff. You could already set individual training focus, give players days off, set intensity and team focus, just they were done from different screens ...

the question whatever if we can train a groups or not ..

this individual training to players, like you are adding a thing and removing another thing.. this is not called a feature in IMO.

I feel this is more realistic. Like has been already said, there has to be balance. To train the defence you have to train the attack as well. Players can focus on certain areas but overall the team should be training together.

I hated the slider system. I felt that it was just far too unrealistic and easy to exploit.

The only downside I can see is if the newgen templates are unbalance, it may be hard to get the best of of them.

As someone who's been quite critical of the other videos, I've gotta say this one has me intrigued. I have never been one to give much attention to the training side of the game, setting everyone on a general schedule and letting them get on with it, just because setting it up never felt like much to do with management. A UI improvement has me curious to at least try it out- this is probably the first video to get me interested in the demo.

• SI Staff
Players can focus on certain areas but overall the team should be training together.

This was the main design point of the training revamp this year. Teams train together and whilst for some drills they are split into sub-groups based on the position they are expected to play, at the end of the day the training is not about having 25 players doing individually tailored drills alone at the training ground, its about the team training together (either in one group or a few different groups).

The way training works in relation to player progression and the coaching duties is pretty much the same under the hood, however there have been some changes to accommodate things like focusing a player on a role instead of just one attribute and the new team level focuses and intensities.

We were well aware of the fact that some people would feel strongly about these changes and would insist that they lose certain level of control over training and molding their players. However looking at it from the realism aspect, we feel the new interface makes it more like managing actual training instead of balancing sliders in search of some perfect combination.

This video has me happy and sad at the same time.

I like the old system, I liked being able to set specific regimes for every player in my team, working on the areas players were weak whilst maintaining their strengths, so I will be sad to lose this.

At the same time, I was always frustrated with trying to rest players and keep them in top shape around multiple matches in weeks etc, so I think those improvements are good. I think I'm firmly in the "wait for the demo and see what I think" category.

Archived