fm13 - steam says turkish version only supports turkish language - why?

Sports Interactive need to take care with this issue - Turkish fans will feel as though they are being discriminated against (as I see it this is currently the case). You cannot make generalisations about anyone from a particular country purely because piracy levels are higher there or that they only speak one language therefore they are only permitted to play in that language. To do so shows partiality on the matter. Not all Turkish people speak only Turkish; to assume so would be an insult to their intelligence. To base this decision on the matter of piracy could also be classed as discrimination as the decision impacts everyone who buys the game in the country, including those who pirate the game.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You should get it this time unless you a have serious neurological condition.
it is disrespectful.

Hurr.

One last time:

While the Russia, South Korea, Hong Kong, Turkey retail versions of FM can only be activated on Steam in those respective countries, English/multilanguage retail keys activate in Russia, Korea, Hong Kong, China, Turkey, Germany just fine.

Thus to play the game in English:

http://us.download-store.sega.com/shop/football-manager-2013 works.

http://uk.download-store.sega.com/shop/football-manager-2013 works.

Anything else in http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/314547-25-off-FM13-pre-order.?p=8076167&viewfull=1#post8076167 that does not advertise selling the game in Turkish will work.

Steam gifts also work.

But they are living in Turkey, so they can not play in English etc. without changing their ips with a vpn, tunnel or proxy and also Steam can cancelled their account cause they are in Turkey but they are trying to buy the game in as a person who lives in another country. They can think yes they paid much more money (If they buy from EU ip) but they are also bunch of cheaters.

Don't use a VPN, no. You don't need one to buy from SEGA or other websites, nor do you need one to activate the English game in Turkey on Steam from a Turkish IP. You just need some payment method accepted by any of the many websites that sell you FM2013 either as a key or a physical box containing a disc & a key.

Hurr.

One last time:

While the Russia, South Korea, Hong Kong, Turkey retail versions of FM can only be activated on Steam in those respective countries, English/multilanguage retail keys activate in Russia, Korea, Hong Kong, China, Turkey, Germany just fine.

Thus to play the game in English:

http://us.download-store.sega.com/shop/football-manager-2013 works.

http://uk.download-store.sega.com/shop/football-manager-2013 works.

Anything else in http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/314547-25-off-FM13-pre-order.?p=8076167&viewfull=1#post8076167 that does not advertise selling the game in Turkish will work.

Steam gifts also work.

Don't use a VPN, no. You don't need one to buy from SEGA or other websites, nor do you need one to activate the English game in Turkey on Steam from a Turkish IP. You just need some payment method accepted by any of the many websites that sell you FM2013 either as a key or a physical box containing a disc & a key.

I know i already bought my game from Steam with all languages but i'm asking for people who has that issues. But in Steam Turkish IPs blocked to see all languages version, if they bought from another store and activated from Steam; Steam can decline their request on all languages version, cause they supposed not to see that version.

I know i already bought my game from Steam with all languages but i'm asking for people who has that issues. But in Steam Turkish IPs blocked to see all languages version, if they bought from another store and activated from Steam; Steam can decline their request on all languages version, cause they supposed not to see that version.

Unfortunately some people have difficulty grasping the concept of trying to help people who may not yet be aware of a problem or stuck because of it, even though you yourself are aware and have taken steps to avoid it.

Steam can decline their request on all languages version, cause they supposed not to see that version.

Steam can for some games prevent versions meant for specific regions from activating in others, just like the KR/RU/HK retail keys for FM2012 only activate in those countries (which likely will also be the case for TR 2013) -- but the English/ML retail version has always activated everywhere, and there is no reason to presume this to change.

I must admit that the reason i registered to SI is this thread and this is my first and last post most likely. However, since I have been playing this game for a decade in English and I am Turkish, surely I've got things to say about this. First I would like to say thank you to SI or SEGA or whoever decided to include Turkish language in the game. Turkish people have been long waiting for this opportunity to play the game in Turkish but there is a misunderstanding why some people in Turkey would hate to play the game in Turkish. The Turkish ones in this thread asking information about the English version are most likely have been playing since at least 6-7 years I guess. So they got used to in English version and afraid of being forced to leave it -trust me I know sales rates won't show the fact but Turkish players are one of the most passionate FM players in the world-. For example when I am looking attributes of a striker I know where is Finishing, Composure, Off the Ball I do not waste my time to find them I just know where they are and I believe it is the same for most of us regardless of our nationality. Since the listing of attributes have been done by the alphabetical order for a long time we can only assume that will be the same for the Turkish version. As you can easily guess the whole order will change and I will have to be forced to waste some time finding the stats that I am looking for. Since there is no clarification about any detail in Turkish version I am afraid to be forced to play this game in Turkish and examples can be multiplied.

Second reason why some people want to play this game in English is the translation from English is not going to be professional translation. A group of volunteers have been trusted with this job and I have a lot of respect to those people who are trying to translate a game which is text-based mostly. However, we have no idea how it's going to look like. Think like that: If English text was being produced by a group of volunteers, would you go buy it without asking any questions? AND, you only have English language. Again, I have lot of respect to those guys but still I want people to get our logic behind this. I surely know the reason of this volunteer thing is sales in Turkey and difficulties of prof. translation then why do you say that "The Game Is Now Turkish!" since you did not translate it. I am sorry but SI or SEGA - i don't care which- is trying to have a image of hard-working company which provides a successful game every year. Since the game is Turkish now, I am quite sure they expect to have a huge boost at the sales in Turkey. If it's not going to feel the same to play FM in Turkish for me I do not want Turkish version in this game. If it will be translated wonderfully i will shut up and never talk again but that's a huge if right now for most of us.

And here is the last one where misunderstanding begins. You can ask then why Turkish people have been lobbying for the Turkish language. It is simple: Not every single person in Turkey can speak English fluent enough to play this game, and some of them do not know a single word in English. They would like to play this game. Trust me they love football no less than any of us. But SI would have no idea if people who can speak English have been lobbying. How would you expect a person who really needs Turkish in the game to play it to lobby about it through this forum? That's the reason same people have been lobbying for Turkish are now waiting for an explanation. We are not asking for every language available we just need Turkish and English languages in the game. People who can not speak English have been waiting for illegal Turkish translations which made by volunteers too and trust me they are awful if you are used to play in English. And i am not even mentioning the time it takes to translate the text. Some people could not start to play it since February or March because they have been waiting for a translation. And the solution that SI brings the table is not quite efficient I believe. Of course there will be a lot of people who will buy the original copy since it is Turkish, and people are happy if they do not speak English. However, how can you overlook the amount of people who have been playing this game in English for years? Why not to try to release the game in both languages for a year and test the sales at least? How worse can the piracy get if the game is in both languages? Trust me people who ask for English version will still buy the original copy if the game is in both languages just because the game is available in Turkish too.

I have a lot more to say but I hope this post can make things at least a bit more clear for SI or people who misunderstands us. Sorry if errors in my English are present.

If the translation to Turkish has issues, you can of course report those in the appropriate bug subforum (whichever subforum that is -- I never played FM in any other language than English and thus don't have experience there; admittedly I tried US English once or twice, but it was dreadful)

And you too can just buy it from a website other than Steam and get the normal English version you are used to :)

I can understand very well where the turkish guys here are coming from. I am a scandinavian, but I have from the very first version of this game played it using english language. If through Steam I would be forced to buy a version of FM without english language, I would be pretty mift too. Of course the game should come with the "original" language, as well as the local. I am very aware of why SI/Sega does this, but it is still not right, and is a very unfair treatment of those turkish citizens who indeed buy a legitimate copy of the game.

I can understand very well where the turkish guys here are coming from. I am a scandinavian, but I have from the very first version of this game played it using english language. If through Steam I would be forced to buy a version of FM without english language, I would be pretty mift too. Of course the game should come with the "original" language, as well as the local. I am very aware of why SI/Sega does this, but it is still not right, and is a very unfair treatment of those turkish citizens who indeed buy a legitimate copy of the game.

nailed it..

I understand why SI have taken the decision, but it's not how it should be dealt with.. it's a raw deal for those who want more than the one language..

I can also see how it is hard for those who aren't bilingual or multi lingual to understand this need.

What do you mean by cheaper? It's cheaper in Russia - 30 USD (both - Steam and retail). Steam price for Ukraine (no official retail) and Turkey (don't know retail price) it is 39 USD - 100% as the last year.

http://eu.download-store.sega.com/shop/football-manager-2013/home.html it writes 49.99€ for original version

turkish version on steam is 39.99€ .

This is ridiculous. How can you force people to play in that 1 language only ?!

I'm 100% sure this wrong step will force people to piracy. Because people don't like to give money in order to become limited.

Very very very big mistake if this is true !!

edit: do you guys know that just in Istanbul there are 100.000+ foreign students ??

This is ridiculous. How can you force people to play in that 1 language only ?!

I'm 100% sure this wrong step will force people to piracy. Because people don't like to give money in order to become limited.

Very very very big mistake if this is true !!

edit: do you guys know that just in Istanbul there are 100.000+ foreign students ??

And these foreign students can buy the game in whatever language they are fluent in...

Again, who will be wanting to switch between Turkish and English mid-game and why?

I believe some people have said they'd want to buy the game once for multiple people (of different ages and language fluency) to play on the same household computer, but yeah, you can see by the lack of replies in 48 hours that either everybody gave up on reading this or people just don't have any "proper" reasons to offer. I can't imagine anything like a majority of people needing a game in several different languages.

Personally I only ever switch between commentary languages in FIFA/PES for fun. Mexican Spanish in FIFA is peculiarly dreadful.

If we, people living in Turkey, have the legitimate means to buy the game in English via other methods than Steam, then why the ..ck does Steam force Turkish IP blocks to Turkish-only version of the game? Who has the authority over this decision? Is it Steam that enforces it? Or is it Sega's business model?

By the way, piracy is the lamest excuse for forcing people into one language. Do you sincerely believe that people pirated the game in previous versions just because it wasn't available in their own language? They simply do not want to spend money, regardless of quality of the product. I do not believe that Turkish-only model as a piracy countermeasure would increase the overall sales in Turkey.

For example, let's think of a foreign expat living in Turkey.. Let's say a British..Does this mean this guy won't be able to play FM 2013 as he doesnt speak in Turkish?

That's exactly the situation I find myself in. I'm English but live in Ankara. My Turkish is pretty good but I would much rather play the game in my own language as I have done here since CM4 (and I have bought original versions of every game either boxed or through Steam since I've been here). I've contacted Steam and they basically refused to confirm if buying a code from a UK-based retailer would give me access to the English version (just some vague comment about regional restrictions that would vary and could not be confirmed).

I would love to get official confirmation on the boxed game now being availble with multiple language options here (especially as Vatan's website lists the price as 52TL - about20 quid!)

Well now it seems that the Turkish version, at least the Steam non-retail one, has been scrapped in favour of a multi language one. Maybe the initial plan had been to sell the TR only one for a lower price.

An imported UK retail will definitely work in English.

So you say me, if you live in Turkey you have to play it only Turkish. And that s fair. :)

We are really appreciate for releasing Turkish language version, this will surely raise the official sales in Turkey but another way it's so weird to forced every Turkish citizen to buy it only Turkish.

Turkish language isn't so different from any other european language, we are also using latin alphabeths. Not like the russian or korean languages.

I've playing it since 99 in English, and want to keep playin it English from now.

So Sigames or Sega whatever should offer us an option to select a language we want.

• 3 weeks later...

This is outrageous! Paying customers, who support the developers, who pay $40 like the rest of Europe, and they only get a single language, their local language? This is just stupid! Forcing loyal customers to search for alternatives, not mentioning it anywhere in Steam. This is very unfortunate. Is there an official statement? I guess this means refund.

• Administrators

There is no Turkish version, the 'Turkish' version is the same as all other European versions. Only a Russian version as with previous years is available in on language only - Russian.

There is no Turkish version, the 'Turkish' version is the same as all other European versions. Only a Russian version as with previous years is available in on language only - Russian.

That is not exactly true.

I have purchased all iterations starting from FM10, being in Russia, for $40 every year, and every year it had English as a language option. This year it was taken away, forgetting to mention it anywhere within Steam at the time of purchase. Too bad, really.

Sorry, but your latter statement is simply not true. I bought FM 2011 for 40$ (before Steam introduced Russian prices) and FM 2012 for 899 rubles on Steam and both had English language. This year the wording of the purchase item changed from a generic FM X (pre-order) to FM 2013 Russian but there was no indication of it having Russian language as the only option until the beta went live and the steam page got updated. I honestly don't remember whether the language description was left blank or had English when pre-orders became available (maybe earlier, haven't checked in a while), but it certainly didn't state that it's a Russian language only product. Thus making it a colourful case of misinforming customers (whether it could be classified as fraud or deceit I am not entirely sure, depends on local laws).

To be blunt I have no intention of playing a localized *cough* butchered *cough* version of the game. So I'll just get my refund from Steam as soon as I get home. From there I'll consider 2 options: whether to buy an international version from other digital retailers and get my steam key or pass on this iteration entirely. To make a decision I would need some additional information.

So, dear Neil Brock, could you please officially clarify if we, Russian players who want to enjoy the original version of your game, have a safe workaround? If I buy the game at, say, GMG (29.99$ discount atm) from a Russian IP, will I get the international version steam key? Then, if I redeem that key on Steam can you guarantee that it will be accepted? Thanks in advance.

• Administrators

I'll look into this for you and update. As far as I had been made aware the Russian version was Russian language only and that was certainly the case for FM12 and I thought FM111 - if it wasn't I apologise as I did not intend to misinform you. Will update this when I know more, thanks.

• Administrators

Okay I've looked into this and the Russian version of Football Manager has never had any other languages loaded than just Russian. If you were running a version of the game with European languages then you must not have purchased the Russian version of the game. If you're unhappy that you've ordered a Russian only version you're entitled to cancel your pre-order with Steam as you've stated. In regards to buying a workaround I'm afraid the official line is that the game is region locked, so I don't know whether a workaround will work, I'd suggest contacting Sega support or Steam for further information. Thanks.

The anti piracy reason is ok as soon as the language issue is applied properly. For example, I reside in Moldova and I do not know Russian. Thus, I can't play FM 2013 LEGALLY, although I've paid 40 USD. This is simply not equitable.

• 2 weeks later...

@Neal - you're aware though, that it was nowhere on the Steam page at the moment i did my pre-order that it will be Russian only? Because, if it was, i would never go on and buy this in the first place.

Now, it would be really grand if you could tell me about the way of redeeming this thing via Steam, and possible solutions to get actually working and legal English language version.

Archived