SI/Sega Greed on Australians.

How do prices of other games compare?

Pretty much the same for most games, some prices are pretty good like Sleeping Dogs was $50 on Steam day 1, Portal 2 similar. So yes we are getting more value for those of us who love FM comparing the value to other games but giving that SI are a company that wants to be seen as listening to the fans and given that the price was great last year you have this long thread. It's essentially a call for SI/Sega to be one of the good guys. Like they were last year.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Miles' reaction and comments are some of the worst ever customer service I have seen. This clearly demonstrates how much SI value its customers.

Good customer service is all about bringing customers back. And about sending them away happy - happy enough to pass positive feedback about your business along to others, who may then try the product or service you offer for themselves and in their turn become repeat customers.

Now, I have bought all FM's from CM1 to FM12 and I will continue to purchase the game not because of SI's customer service - which is on the whole poor and Miles' own words have futher diminished it in my opinion - I buy the game because in all honesty it still is the best football management simulation by far.

I think you are being extremely harsh. The Australian Government is investigating price fixing across the whole IT industry. I've not seen one CEO respond to any criticism. Miles has said he believes that the price is unfair and should be dropped, gone out of his way to try and find out why (with, it seems, a little success), but explained that while he sympathises he has no actual influence on pricing.

If he spoke in unequivocal support of consumers, his and SI's relationship with his publishers and distributors would be put at severe risk. You have to take on board the pragmatics of the situation and read between the lines. Ultimately, the power will reside in the government investigation of price fixing, and that is where you should expend your energies. Until this investigation is finalised, no distributor is going to buck the trend by releasing software at a lower price, as it would undermine the whole industry stance that they have to charge more in Australia (even if the "strong economy" argument currently being used is ridiculous).

Any statement Miles makes is fraught with risk, which is why they have to be direct and emotionless. He's between a rock and a hard place. If he doesn't reply, SI's customer service is damned. If he responds too favourably to the consumer, he undermines his relationship with SEGA and Valve and risks his words being used against them in the investigation. His replies need to be taken for what they are, expressions of support for fairer pricing but pragmatically aware of the political and commercial realities of the situation. I just don't think that is bad customer service.

Its bad but isn't it the same with every game in Australia.

It's not just games - since I've moved to Australia I'm baulking at the price of CDs, DVDs, games, clothes and groceries here. And beer! The exchange rate is supposed to be AUD $1.5 to GBP 1 but the actual pricing of goods seems to be more than two to three times the number of Pounds.

Another compounding factor is the lack of supermarket wars (Tesco and Asda) and "offshore" retailers (such as Play and Amazon) that drastically undercut the High Street prices in UK.

There was a fair bit of media focus on the imbalanced regional pricing of a new Apple product recently - though as usual here, as soon as the initial storm of outrage has blown over, it gets forgotten and nothing has changed.

There's an online company importing US Kindles in bulk, yet charging more than 150% the cost of doing oneself directly including postage (based on my experience a few months ago).

Oops - think this OP has struck a nerve with me! :S

Regarding Steam and online piracy: I haven't found an affordable Australian ISP capable of providing a reliable enough Internet connection to indulge in either (if I wanted to) - and I'm centrally located in a capital city.

I think you are being extremely harsh. The Australian Government is investigating price fixing across the whole IT industry. I've not seen one CEO respond to any criticism. Miles has said he believes that the price is unfair and should be dropped, gone out of his way to try and find out why (with, it seems, a little success), but explained that while he sympathises he has no actual influence on pricing.

If he spoke in unequivocal support of consumers, his and SI's relationship with his publishers and distributors would be put at severe risk. You have to take on board the pragmatics of the situation and read between the lines. Ultimately, the power will reside in the government investigation of price fixing, and that is where you should expend your energies. Until this investigation is finalised, no distributor is going to buck the trend by releasing software at a lower price, as it would undermine the whole industry stance that they have to charge more in Australia (even if the "strong economy" argument currently being used is ridiculous).

Any statement Miles makes is fraught with risk, which is why they have to be direct and emotionless. He's between a rock and a hard place. If he doesn't reply, SI's customer service is damned. If he responds too favourably to the consumer, he undermines his relationship with SEGA and Valve and risks his words being used against them in the investigation. His replies need to be taken for what they are, expressions of support for fairer pricing but pragmatically aware of the political and commercial realities of the situation. I just don't think that is bad customer service.

In the interest of accuracy, expressions of support and sympathy are precisely the things which are missing from Miles's comments in this thread. I think most of the ill-feeling in this thread was generated by his expression of complete disinterest in SI's Australian customers.

Your defence of Miles's comments actually makes perfect sense. It's just a pity that the comments themselves spectacularly fail to back up your arguments.

It's not just games - since I've moved to Australia I'm baulking at the price of CDs, DVDs, games, clothes and groceries here. And beer! The exchange rate is supposed to be AUD $1.5 to GBP 1 but the actual pricing of goods seems to be more than two to three times the number of Pounds.

There was a fair bit of media focus on the imbalanced regional pricing of a new Apple product recently - though as usual here, as soon as the initial storm of outrage has blown over, it gets forgotten and nothing has changed.

Regarding Steam and online piracy: I haven't found an affordable Australian ISP capable of providing a reliable enough Internet connection to indulge in either (if I wanted to) - and I'm centrally located in a capital city.

Dude, i have been in this country for over 20 yrs now and you would only catch me going back to the UK visiting family and friends every two years.

It is much much easier to live over here in Oz than the UK. Houses are cheaper to buy/rent and most are larger and spacious too.

The hourly rate over here is much better for the average joe.

I work at a glass manufacturer and i`m on $25.55 ph and my kids never go without, weekend trips to dreamworld, sun shine and more........and you`re whinging about a few MINOR things. I`m sure there are lots of people that would switch spots with you right now :)

Regarding afforadable internet connection!!! i suggest you use google as I also live in a capital city (Brisbane) and I only pay $89 month and that is unlimited ADSL2.

I think it is best for us to agree to disagree. If you want to know what was actually said I suggest you read the actual thread. Notice the words like "not my probem" ? I also agree that sometimes it is best to say nothing. But let us drop the issue.. you think I am being harsh at poor customer service I think I am not. Can we agree to disagree and drop the subject?

Dude, i have been in this country for over 20 yrs now and you would only catch me going back to the UK visiting family and friends every two years.

It is much much easier to live over here in Oz than the UK. Houses are cheaper to buy/rent and most are larger and spacious too.

The hourly rate over here is much better for the average joe.

I work at a glass manufacturer and i`m on $25.55 ph and my kids never go without, weekend trips to dreamworld, sun shine and more........and you`re whinging about a few MINOR things. I`m sure there are lots of people that would switch spots with you right now :)

Regarding afforadable internet connection!!! i suggest you use google as I also live in a capital city (Brisbane) and I only pay $89 month and that is unlimited ADSL2.

I moved from the Uk to Adelaide 16 years ago and i know the quality of my life is far superior here. There are things in UK which surpass Australian and vice versa but overall my quality of life is better here/ As for internet I can get unlimted ADSL 2 for $69.00 a month. I am sure if he shops around he will get good internet etc. If he can't get any in his city Iam happy to source it for him.

Highly recommended for all Australians. I bought FM12 from them last year.

Green Man Gaming is definitely the way to go...the game can then be activated through Steam. At 1/2 the price too boot.

I'm really disappointed that the direct purchase through Steam is such a rip off this year...

I think it is best for us to agree to disagree. If you want to know what was actually said I suggest you read the actual thread. Notice the words like "not my probem" ? I also agree that sometimes it is best to say nothing. But let us drop the issue.. you think I am being harsh at poor customer service I think I am not. Can we agree to disagree and drop the subject?

I guess it comes down to interpretation and control of language. I read "not my problem" as being synonymous with "nothing I can do", not "I don't care".

I did read the whole thread with the knowledge of the Australian Government's investigation of over-pricing by the IT/software industry as an interpretive lens. I think Miles has to be extremely careful in his use of words in terms of not undermining SEGA at all. As his writing style is, at the best of times, quite direct, this carefulness can easily be interpreted as callousness towards the customer. I don't think it is that at all.

That said, I do think SI /SEGA could do a lot more in promoting FM through the online community and expand the playing experience beyond the game itself. It is a great community, but it could be even better with some coherent social media / customer support strategies. Although I think SI's interaction with the fans exceeds nearly every other developer, it doesn't mean it is perfect. However, I can understand why it isn't a priority for a small studio that is far more focused on spending money on core game development than airy-fairy marketing / community building strategies.

Another compounding factor is the lack of supermarket wars (Tesco and Asda) and "offshore" retailers (such as Play and Amazon) that drastically undercut the High Street prices in UK.

There's an online company importing US Kindles in bulk, yet charging more than 150% the cost of doing oneself directly including postage (based on my experience a few months ago).

Oops - think this OP has struck a nerve with me! :S

Yip you Aussie's get ripped off for Beer. Bugger that!

You say you don't care then refer to JB hifi's inflated prices as a guide/justification, amazing. Wish I'd never read those comments, I would've just happily carried on my search for a better deal from somewhere else. By the way Football manager has never been and never should be a 70 - 100 dollar game, especially if I'm forced to play it on steam.

TBH I don't know why anyone would complain about a game being expensive when we can all shop around online, purchase the game online for cheaper anywhere in the world. Sort of makes this arguement null & void sorry. With people posting discount codes on these forums, you could of got FM13 for as low as $31.14 if you were quick.

You can still get it for $37.37 with the discount codes still being posted on these forums and on twitter.

TBH I don't know why anyone would complain about a game being expensive when we can all shop around online, purchase the game online for cheaper anywhere in the world. Sort of makes this arguement null & void sorry. With people posting discount codes on these forums, you could of got FM13 for as low as $31.14 if you were quick.

You can still get it for $37.37 with the discount codes still being posted on these forums and on twitter.

Not everyone has time or the knowledge of either this message board or other retailers though. It's about the pricing policy and ripping off the average customer.

Not everyone has time or the knowledge of either this message board or other retailers though. It's about the pricing policy and ripping off the average customer.

Normally wouldn't a person look for a better deal? if someone drives a car, usually they try to locate the cheapest petrol. This is nothing different.

well 4 pages of abuse towards SEGA/SI/Steam/Other retailers instead of looking at other posts that offer a discounted price and this thread would of barely made it onto the forum tbh.

Archived