SI/Sega Greed on Australians.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd suggest contacting the Australian distributors if you're unhappy with the pricing. I'm afraid from what I've been told part of it is related to the strong Australian economic status - if there's a tumble in Australia I'm sure the game price would do so too (no, don't ruin the Aus economy to get cheaper FM!)

If that's the case then why isn't the game dirt cheap in the UK seing as we are in a double dip recession?

Honestly!!!!!!!!!..............it's great that someone official tries to answer the question but what a stupid answer to give!

• Administrators

I was only relaying what I was informed, part of it is related to the strong Australian economic status. Gaming in this country (the UK) is comparatively cheap considering we're in a recession, the fact I've already seen it on pre-order for £22 is surely a sign of that.

I have bought direct from Sega, which is the same price as the US, somehow less than half what they are trying to charge NZ/AUS. If this is a games distributor issue in NZ then I wish to know who it is because this fits as price-fixing and I will be laying a complaint with the commerce commission.

I was only relaying what I was informed, part of it is related to the strong Australian economic status. Gaming in this country (the UK) is comparatively cheap considering we're in a recession, the fact I've already seen it on pre-order for £22 is surely a sign of that.

I realise you are only relaying information (which Miles has also said on Twitter) but surely you can see that doesn't make sense.

Just so you know, no other import has gone up in price since last October. Since the economy turn just about every import has dropped in price as our dollar is stronger against the USD, Euro, Pound, etc.

As others have said, if it is due to a strong economy then countries like Spain, Greece, etc. should be paying next to nothing to buy the game. I don't care what the reason is, I just want the truth, or at least something that is belivable.

Dear SEGA,

Whichever eejit at SEGA who sets the prices seems to fail at basic economics.

In the past year the Australian dollar has improved against the value of all major currencies, coupling this with the fact that every excuse in the book has been rolled out over the years (your economy is too strong, your economy is too weak, Australia is far far away it is almost as far as the Moon) this seems like an excuse that has been made to increase profit rather than any legitimate one.

Don't worry though, because I will buy FM13 from the UK like always.

Yours Sincerely,

William Hall

so there is now doubt we are being completely ripped off in australia

the comment from sega or SO or whomever about australias strong economy is complete and utter rubbish. products should not be priced based on the nations GDP in an international economy. and lets be real here, if these people actually lived in asutralia they would know that for us ordinay people, things arent as rosey as our resources boom would suggest.

SO

i propose we end the bickering and start solving. australians should send a message to SI/SEGA/Steam right now

we neeed to determine the best place to buy and all purchase from there. this really is the only way to send a message that this rorting will not be tollerated

so is it greenman gaming or SEGA direct?

can anyone 100% verify that these channels will work>?

cheers

• SI Staff

Firstly, to be very clear, SI do not set the prices in any territory.

But to compare the US price to the Australian price is the wrong thing to do - in the US, for various reasons, the game is released as a "budget" price game.

Everywhere else in the world, except for Spain I believe, the game is sold as a "full" price game.

The dealer price for the games are made, territory by territory, between SEGA and their distribution partners. Retailers choose what price to charge customers based on that dealer price and are free to sell at whatever price they wish to. If they want to make a loss, they can. If they want to charge more, they can. Their choice.

Not much point debating it, or trying to, with us, as it's nothing to do with us as a company. We are the developer of the Football Manager series and are also responsible for PR & marketing strategy, but are not responsible for sales.

thanks for the detailed reply miles - i appreciate your input

however it must be said that even comparing the UK price with australia, if both are 'full prices' games, we are still a loooong way off and it is undeniable that australians are being fleeced

i understand when you say this is not SI's role. however i am interested in whether your company thinks such price setting (or rorting for a better word) is good for your business, for the game, and for the company who we all associate with the FM series? I would think that fair and equitable pricing is something SI would support for a variety of reasons?

But to compare the US price to the Australian price is the wrong thing to do - in the US, for various reasons, the game is released as a "budget" price game.

Everywhere else in the world, except for Spain I believe, the game is sold as a "full" price game.

The dealer price for the games are made, territory by territory, between SEGA and their distribution partners. Retailers choose what price to charge customers based on that dealer price and are free to sell at whatever price they wish to. If they want to make a loss, they can. If they want to charge more, they can. Their choice.

Not much point debating it, or trying to, with us, as it's nothing to do with us as a company. We are the developer of the Football Manager series and are also responsible for PR & marketing strategy, but are not responsible for sales.

Therefore SI as a company must get paid - what, a fixed-fee/payment by SEGA for the product - and SEGA then make their money from how many copies are sold? Not wanting to know the inner workings or anything, just curious, because I believe the pricing structure of the main distribution method in Aus will hurt the reputation/sales of the game. Strange decision to make.

Thanks for taking the time to reply - appreciate it.

Thanks for the reply. Whilst we are still getting price gouged at least we now know the reason.

That explanation just doesn't work for digital product.

I am not comparing prices for retail product.

I am comparing the costs for an identical product on an identical platform which is a completely digital platform with no additional costs to justify geographic price gouging.

I am not buying the game from an Australian distributor. I am buying the game from Steam and Sega directly using the US based Steam platform.

It might not have anything to do with you directly but you are part of the group making the game and I see nothing wrong with it being discussed on the forums for the game.

Funny that when it's your company being ripped off it suddenly becomes something to do with your company and you take it personally:

9:1 Piracy Rate Not Good Enough

Miles To Turkey: Don't Pirate

BBC Piracy Investigation

Dishonest People Equals DRM

Hypocrisy of the worst kind. Surely it has 'nothing to do with your company' because you aren't responsible for sales. You only develop it right?

It seems SI only cares when they are being ripped off. They could care less when it's their paying loyal customers who are getting ripped off.

The only reason we are paying double the cost for an identical game on the same platform is that Sega feel like ripping us off because they can. After the fair pricing of last year this is a kick in the teeth for Australian and New Zealand users.

I am comparing the costs for an identical product on an identical platform which is a completely digital platform with no additional costs to justify geographic price gouging.

I am not buying the game from an Australian distributor. I am buying the game from Steam and Sega directly using the US based Steam platform.

It might not have anything to do with you directly but you are part of the group making the game and I see nothing wrong with it being discussed on the forums for the game.

Funny that when it's your company being ripped off it suddenly becomes something to do with your company and you take it personally:

BBC Piracy Investigation

Hypocrisy of the worst kind. Surely it has 'nothing to do with your company' because you aren't responsible for sales. You only develop it right?

It seems SI only cares when they are being ripped off. They could care less when it's their paying loyal customers who are getting ripped off.

The only reason we are paying double the cost for an identical game on the same platform is that Sega feel like ripping us off because they can. After the fair pricing of last year this is a kick in the teeth for Australian and New Zealand users.

If it angers you so much, why are you not taking it up with SEGA? you can go on and on at SI, but if its SEGA is setting the prices its utterly pointless.

BBC Piracy Investigation

What themadsheep2001 said tbh. You've raised this on SI's forums, the director of SI has responded, I can't see where this thread is going to go from here.

Look, SI don't set the pricing. Of course a developer cares about piracy, and I think you'll find that many developers outsource sales (and pricing) to publishing companies in much the same was as SI do with Sega. Your issue is with Sega/Steam, therefore, and I suggest you take it up with them.

I have some sympathy of course, Adobe regularly take the mick with their straight dollar-to-pound pricing of their products, meaning those paying in pounds pay significantly more and that certainly annoys me; but regardless, you're not addressing your frustrations at the correct source.

Firstly, SI is a company like any other in the world: if you get ripped off, you do research why and try to fix it so you wouldn't lose money. Same why we are all complaining about it on this forum, but no one seems to be interested in doing the research as to why it is more expensive. I guess blaming is easier.

Secondly, if SEGA is to blame, why are they offering it for $39.95 and steam for $90? Clearly a Steam issue if you ask me, as any other retailer sells it for a similar price than SEGA. The solution is simple: Just don't buy it from Steam. There have been plenty of alternatives listed in this forum.

@themadsheep2001, @GillsMan,

Surely if SI is able to flex its muscle regarding anti-piracy which they confirm does hurt them, surely they should also exert their influence or at least try to apply some pressure on SEGA/Steam to serve their customers properly.

If not, that's a bit of a double standard really. They're willing to tackle piracy because it affects sales (even though Miles has said they are not responsible for that), but are not prepared to help their customers with pricing for risk of losing sales (which again they are apparently not responsible for)? Rubbish!

Demand equality and fairness SI, you are our platform and mouthpiece to SEGA/Steam.

@davidbowie, couldn't have said it better myself.

It's always been the same, regardless of exchange rates or supposedly strong economies.

The annual choice between being buying it local and paying a far higher price,

waiting a few months for a sale, or sourcing it from another territory.

Last year I was lucky enough to be in the Uk in November,

the year before I bought it on amazon.co.uk. If greengamer is cheaper

it looks like it will be this years option. Solutions are there, if steam is charging too

much then steam sales in oz will be down, that's the way it works.

I said at the start that SI don't set the pricing. I was right there.

Seems there are other options to buying the game on Steam.

The OP should look to question Sega/Steam on the pricing. And simply don't buy it from Steam - as pointed out above, Steam will suffer in sales if people feel the price is too high.

They'll know exactly how many people bought it through Steam and those who bought it elsewhere, I imagine.

If they see that a lot Aus/NZ players don't match their sales they would probably rethink their pricing strategy for those regions.

I said at the start that SI don't set the pricing. I was right there.

Seems there are other options to buying the game on Steam.

The OP should look to question Sega/Steam on the pricing. And simply don't buy it from Steam - as pointed out above, Steam will suffer in sales if people feel the price is too high.

They'll know exactly how many people bought it through Steam and those who bought it elsewhere, I imagine.

If they see that a lot Aus/NZ players don't match their sales they would probably rethink their pricing strategy for those regions.

Almost, "SI/SEGA"

I've just pre-ordered the game through greenmangaming. I paid $30 AUD including the 25% off with the voucher code (listed on their website).

After I ordered it, I received an email stating the I will receive the relevant Steam activation code (via email) on the day of release (currently stated as 31/12/12, although I think will change once the official release date is announced).

The email also provided clear instructions on how to download a steam activated game https://greenmangaming.zendesk.com/entries/388665-how-to-download-a-steam-activated-game

Should be simple, let's hope it is!

What themadsheep2001 said tbh. You've raised this on SI's forums, the director of SI has responded, I can't see where this thread is going to go from here.

Look, SI don't set the pricing. Of course a developer cares about piracy, and I think you'll find that many developers outsource sales (and pricing) to publishing companies in much the same was as SI do with Sega. Your issue is with Sega/Steam, therefore, and I suggest you take it up with them.

I have some sympathy of course, Adobe regularly take the mick with their straight dollar-to-pound pricing of their products, meaning those paying in pounds pay significantly more and that certainly annoys me; but regardless, you're not addressing your frustrations at the correct source.

This is the only obvious avenue that people have available to communicate their frustrations around pricing in their region. If I were being told I suddenly had to pay £60 for FM2013 (Double what I would normally pay), then 1) I would be complaining and 2) I wouldn't be purchasing the game.

Imo SI should use some initiative and pass feedback around steam pricing for the Oceanic region to whoever *does* set the prices in order that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy this game without being ripped off. After all, issues like this directly impact the perception and popularity of their product and their reputation as a company.

@themadsheep2001, @GillsMan,

Surely if SI is able to flex its muscle regarding anti-piracy which they confirm does hurt them, surely they should also exert their influence or at least try to apply some pressure on SEGA/Steam to serve their customers properly.

If not, that's a bit of a double standard really. They're willing to tackle piracy because it affects sales (even though Miles has said they are not responsible for that), but are not prepared to help their customers with pricing for risk of losing sales (which again they are apparently not responsible for)? Rubbish!

Demand equality and fairness SI, you are our platform and mouthpiece to SEGA/Steam.

@davidbowie, couldn't have said it better myself.

SEGA as thw publisher set the set prices. SI are not the platform or mothpiece to them, SEGA have their own contact details that people can use. Talking abot piracy as a developer isn't the same as setting the prices. If the aim is to get to the bottom of this, go for the people who actually set the practice. Talking to the wrong people at the cause of the problems seems pointless exercise to me. Use the other options, punish SEGA/Steam by talking with your wallet.

That's like having a go at DICE for EA practices.

This is the only obvious avenue that people have available to communicate their frustrations around pricing in their region. If I were being told I suddenly had to pay £60 for FM2013 (Double what I would normally pay), then 1) I would be complaining and 2) I wouldn't be purchasing the game.

Imo SI should use some initiative and pass feedback around steam pricing for the Oceanic region to whoever *does* set the prices in order that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy this game without being ripped off. After all, issues like this directly impact the perception and popularity of their product and their reputation as a company.

Again SEGA has a contact system too, and they are ones causing the issue, and the ones with the most ability to address it.

It wouldnt make a single shred of difference, the ONLY thing that would change this would be all Aussie's refusing to buy the game at all, or infact any game, then the distributors might sit up and take notice, sadly as long as people pay the price, they will charge it.

SI i would imagine will receive a set price for each game sold, regardless of how much it is sold for or where it is sold, they sell the game at this price to SEGA who then in turn sell the game to distributors for their own price, the final price of the game has nothing at all to do with SI and probably very little to do with SEGA, its the distributor we deal with, if they are being dishonest there is almost nothing SEGA can do about it.

The facts are that last year on steam it was around $40. it has more than doubled in one year for no reason at all. No, saying we are doing well as a country is not a reason! Fact is compared to last year the cost of living in Australia has skyrocketed. Electricity and all other commodities are doubling and tripling in price and show no sign of stopping. So no we have not suddenly had an increase in our standard of living and no we do not have more disposable income.

thankyou to the SI guys for commenting on this thread. This is not anger directed at them just confusion and disbelief that it could more than double in one year. I would actually be happy to pay $50, $60 or even $70 if i knew the money was going to SEGA and SI to make the game better and make it profitable for you guys.

Seems that steam have recognized that $89 is a crazy [price as it has come down to $79 just recently. However i have already taken my business straight to SEGA and paid my $40.

I am happy but it is still strange that they would gouge us like this for this one game. Most games on steam are priced quite reasonably so i wonder why the decision to pump FM up so high?

SEGA as thw publisher set the set prices. SI are not the platform or mothpiece to them, SEGA have their own contact details that people can use. Talking abot piracy as a developer isn't the same as setting the prices. If the aim is to get to the bottom of this, go for the people who actually set the practice. Talking to the wrong people at the cause of the problems seems pointless exercise to me. Use the other options, punish SEGA/Steam by talking with your wallet.

That's like having a go at DICE for EA practices.

I just went to the Sega forums. When clicking on the Football Manager forum guess where I ended up - right back here! seems like Sega would like us to talk about Footall Manager issues here.

Again SEGA has a contact system too, and they are ones causing the issue, and the ones with the most ability to address it.

I am not sure as to what contact system you are referring to. It is clearly not obvious to anyone who might be interested in purchasing FM2013

Theres here

Theres steam forums

Theres a generic knowledgebase on sega.com that has very little to do with FM2013, not sure that any feedback sent would make its way to the right place.

Footballmanager.net links to 2 of those 3 places and the usual social media stuff that seems mandatory these days.

Where exactly do you recommend that Oceanic users might record their feedback to the SEGA regional product pricing department, because I certainly couldn't find anywhere that would make sense other than on this forum?

I just went to the Sega forums. When clicking on the Football Manager forum guess where I ended up - right back here! seems like Sega would like us to talk about Footall Manager issues here.

http://www.sega.co.uk/support/

Email and a contact number, that's where I would start. You can talk about it here, but if they aren't the cause, or have the power here, I'm not sure what it achieves?

http://www.sega.co.uk/support/

Email and a contact number, that's where I would start. You can talk about it here, but if they aren't the cause, or have the power here, I'm not sure what it achieves?

Ah, so you want them to annoy SEGA customer service/technical support (see generic knowledgebase option) who are unlikely to pass their feedback along nor have the power to influence the pricing.

Have fun shopping around Australians/New Zealanders; and shame on SI if they arent willing to give Sega a prod in regards to pricing in that region.

Ah, so you want them to annoy SEGA customer service/technical support (see generic knowledgebase option) who are unlikely to pass their feedback along nor have the power to influence the pricing.

Have fun shopping around Australians/New Zealanders; and shame on SI if they arent willing to give Sega a prod in regards to pricing in that region.

You posted on here, got an answer from Miles, next step is to follow it up with SEGA, no? Better to talk to the actualy company, than another that isn't actually responsible. Since those at SEGA support could then point you towards more specific contact details.

Email sent to Sega:

Good evening,

I am writing to enquire why the price of Football Manager 2013 in the Steam store has been put at $79.95 in Australia at the time of writing. Other regions have significantly lower pricing, including the USA at $40. FM13 was originally listed as high as $90. This is ridiculous for a game that is about a sport that is at best third most popular in Australia. Sports Interactive have offered some potential reasons in this forum to the price gouging but to be honest their reasoning just doesn’t make sense. I am unsure if you are aware but a website has been set up to show discrepancy pricing on the Steam platform. This quite clearly shows that Australia is getting price gouged when purchasing this product.

As Steam is required to play FM13 it is fair to assume that a lot of the purchases of this product will be through Steam. The consumer is already being directed to a product to play the game which also sells the game. This email has also been CC’d to the Australian consumer watchdog, Choice. If a response is not heard I will be passing my complaint onto the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Again, the Sega forums link back here so it does give the impression that SI are able to answer questions on Sega's behalf.

Email sent to Sega:

Again, the Sega forums link back here so it does give the impression that SI are able to answer questions on Sega's behalf.

Good email. If i may say, people should copy and re send.

I think that's its a bit cheeky that it links back here, if SI dont really have the power to do much. But as mattihele says, Matt SEGA does visit here, so you'd hope he's seen this thread/its been passed onto him, and he can take it further.

Good luck Nick. Can you feed back the pish some suit at Sega comes up with to that?? Suits in marketing/sales are right up there on my list of hates with bankers, lawyers, paedophiles and politicians. (Ir)rationally and (un)healthily so. :D
Good email. If i may say, people should copy and re send.

I think that's its a bit cheeky that it links back here, if SI dont really have the power to do much. But as mattihele says, Matt SEGa does vitist here, so you'd hope he's seen this thread/its been passed onto him, and he can take it further.

Cheers guys. Really, it's the information in this forum I used as references so it is as much everyones as mine.

Feel free to copy and resend.

I am getting (automated) emails back to say it is working it's way through the Sega system already. Handy that the Australian distributer is the UK Sega. Also, noting this it makes less sense that we aren't linked to the UK pricing.

I forgot to add, I also sent thew same email to Steam as I was expecting Sega to blame Steam.

I'd suggest contacting the Australian distributors if you're unhappy with the pricing. I'm afraid from what I've been told part of it is related to the strong Australian economic status - if there's a tumble in Australia I'm sure the game price would do so too (no, don't ruin the Aus economy to get cheaper FM!)

Thank you Neil. Can you please direct me to who exactly is the Australian distributor?

Five Star Games. After Sega closed their Australian office earlier in the year, they took over distribution, I mentioned it earlier in the thread.

But I strongly doubt they set the price on Steam or receive a share of the profits for Steam sales, most likely only on physical retail product. I may shoot them an email tomorrow to confirm if they know why the price is so high.

themadsheep2001 are you trying to suck up to SI to get a mod position or something? You've made your views clearly known and perhaps it's time to leave the thread to the people who the thread is for. You're starting to stray into territory I'd say is trolling.

Good luck with the email Nick. Hopefully 5 Star Games give us some more information.

themadsheep2001 are you trying to suck up to SI to get a mod position or something? You've made your views clearly known and perhaps it's time to leave the thread to the people who the thread is for. You're starting to stray into territory I'd say is trolling.

Good luck with the email Nick. Hopefully 5 Star Games give us some more information.

Get over yourself, having a different point on a matter isnt trolling, or anything close to it.. Dont make ridiculous and incorrect assumptions about my motives. If Sega ( and steam/others since this is an issue that goes beyond FM) are setting the prices, then they should be getting the emails they rightly deserve. Already copied Nick's email and sent them a copy myself. At best posting on here will get the attentions of Matt - Sega, but the focus is still the people who set the regional pricing, ie SEGA. Going at SI, doesn't really help since they didnt set the price, athough you'd hope they'd raise concerns.

I'm entitled to post here, and I will continue to do so. If you don't like what I have to say, kindly put me on ignore.

Cheers guys. Really, it's the information in this forum I used as references so it is as much everyones as mine.

Feel free to copy and resend.

I am getting (automated) emails back to say it is working it's way through the Sega system already. Handy that the Australian distributer is the UK Sega. Also, noting this it makes less sense that we aren't linked to the UK pricing.

I forgot to add, I also sent thew same email to Steam as I was expecting Sega to blame Steam.

What was the email you used for Steam? Sent a copy to SEGA, but agree Steam should get one as well.

Email sent to Sega:

Great email, but doesn't the ACCC regulate nation wide infractions whereas Steam server is technically based in US?

I've just pre-ordered the game through greenmangaming. I paid $30 AUD including the 25% off with the voucher code (listed on their website).

After I ordered it, I received an email stating the I will receive the relevant Steam activation code (via email) on the day of release (currently stated as 31/12/12, although I think will change once the official release date is announced).

The email also provided clear instructions on how to download a steam activated game https://greenmangaming.zendesk.com/entries/388665-how-to-download-a-steam-activated-game

Should be simple, let's hope it is!

It should be, yes. I got my copies of Civ and its updates from GMG and it was as simple as entering a code into Steam.

Archived