Classic or Challenge? - FM13

What mode will you be playing?  

409 members have voted

1. 1. What mode will you be playing?

• Classic
    • Challenge
    • I'll try both out first and see which I prefer
    • Career Mode

Hi guys, I was just wondering which mode people will be playing when Football Manager 2013 comes out. Personally, I will be playing the classic mode because I'm not into these gimmicky unlockables and unlike some people I think I have enough time to continue playing the usual game. However, I agree that this is a much needed feature for those with little time on their hands and I think it is good introduction to the game for those football fans that find Football Manager "slow and boring" (albeit, without any experience of playing the game in some cases). I also love the new staff roles such as "Director of Football" and "Head of Youth Development"! What do you think?

Sorry, my mistake, by classic I mean the regular FM game and not the challenge mode.

Neither. May have a play with a challenge, but can see them becoming so easy due to the extent they are going to be talked and documented about on forums such as these. I remember similar scenarios on old LMA Managers on the PS2 where you would try and save a team from relegation; but the situations can be all be done manually anyway - so they have no real appeal to me.

Neither. As Lawlore said id probably check the challenges out but will mainly stick to the normal career game. To be honest i really want to hear more about the changes made to the game before i jump straight in. Its all well and good saying we've made genre defining changes and we've made XXX amount of changes but how many of these are going to be simple layout changes, a few extra media lines in press conferences and a different color font. I dont mean to seem harsh but iv been playing CM/FM since CM3 and its a credit to sigames that i mention this but the last few have been very similar and almost not worth buying from the last. It gets to a point where you cant polish it anymore, it must be a tough job for them to keep providing something new every year without going the wrong way just hope they can do it this year and give us something challenging, exciting and fun.

Both, absolutely: like I wrote in the announcement thread, FM Classic could also be used to get a quick idea about more unknown leagues thanks to a quicker playthrough of a single season. For example: Iceland, Belarus, India, China, etc. Then, maybe you'll even decide to play a career game with them :)

I have no interest in challenge mode, but I may be interested in classic mode. It all depends on the classic mode feature set.

The idea of a classic mode I can easily dip in and out of appeals to me, especially if it removes or simplifies features I am not terribly interested in spending time on (team talks, micromanaging training). If I can get more games played in shorter sittings, it may actually increase my FM playtime, as at the moment I tend not to fire up the game if I don't have a few hours to spare.

I normally don't start a proper career till after the first patch, so I will give classic mode a chance for a few seasons and see if it works for me. If that is no good I will play the full version and let the assistants handle the bits I can't be bothered with.

I will play the regular 'career' mode. I will experiment with challenge mode possibly. I think that classic mode is a great idea for people who want a quicker and simpler version of PC FM. I personally love the indepthness of this game so for me FMC is not an option

Thinking of biting the bullet this year and trying out FMC. Spent 1000+ hours per year on previous FMs and that's ridiculous.

I'll certainly give it a go and if it's not for me then I'll go back to the traditional way of playing.

Kudos to SI for giving us the option :applause:

Career mode for me, might venture on to "challenge" every now and then for a bit of quick change from a deep game. Will certainly not be unlocking "cheats". Think that SI are definitely trying to win the younger generation with this game, which I understand is a huge market and reckon last 3 years or so too complex for children. But the gimmicks for me, no thanks.

SI certainly have tried to appeal to a wider range of people with this years release. Classic is there for more casual gamers or newbies who would of been put off by how much you need to do on FM. Challenges add a shorter format for those who don't want to do a long save and buying things is based at people younger than myself.

Personally I will be trying to do a long term save on the full version as per usual this year. I was looking good to do that on FM12 but my computer blue screened and my older laptop struggled but I have a new computer coming well before release.

Classic for me, yes I'll miss out on some of the new improvements in the game but I might actually be able to complete more then a season or 2 without getting bored with the grind that I am forced to get into to get the best out of the game.

I don't think that I've completed more then a season or two on a save for at least 3 or 4 versions of the game.

FMC will be like playign with up to date features but with the speed and enjoyability of the game from 10+ years ago.

Hopefully FMC won't miss out on the Match Engine improvements and we have the option to view a match with up to extended highlights.

I will certainly be playing Challenge mode along side my full Career game. Think it could serve as a quick break from my main game.

I don't think I would play classic over career as my only game. However I may use the same logic and use it as a break. Especially if what Miles said in the press is true about a season taking about 8 hours.

I'm quite tempted by Classic.

I think there is a generation of gamers who have played CM/FM who have now "grown up" and don't have quite the same free time as they used to. Classic is aimed at them.

I've bought and played every version since CM93 (including the likes of CM Italia) but having gone through School and then University, got married, got a decent job, 1 kid and another on the way - my priorities over the last 20 years have changed slightly! I don't have the same spare time as I used to. When I first played CM I would regularly get 30 or 40 seasons out of it. Now I find myself struggling to get 5 over the year. If Classic allows me to power through the seasons, I'm all for it.

When I finally get around to buying it I will just play the career mode.

As From Perth to Paisley said I have also grown up with CM/FM and now being 39 I do not have the time I used have.

Having said that I do not want to play a watered down version of the game,I maybe don't get through 40 seasons the way I used to but I can still managed 10-15.

Still having fun with my Nuneaton save at the moment so if the ME has been improved as much as SI are saying then I will more than likely pick it up sometime in the New Year when I see it on sale.

Should have plenty of feedback by then and the game should have had a couple of patches by then.

Not into the challenges either,I much prefer building my team and getting attached to certain players...I will just play old school ;)

I prefer to play the career mode and then switch off (assign to assistants) certain features which doesn't interest me.

I suspect that is FMC is a success that SI will look at making it configurable for a future release.

Nearly all of the game is comprised of modules, like training and media interaction are separate modules. When SI update one they just update the module and the rest of the game stays the same.

All SI need is separate modules each for classic and career and allow classic to configure the modules that they want run in classic mode and those in career mode.

Archived