Sports Interactive Community
Unknown Hacker

The Official Editor Suggestion Thread

The FM10 editor was a fantastic addition to the game series and has enabled many people to add new leagues and cups to their games very easily. However I personally feel that the editor has stagnated a little bit recently, because new features have in my opinion not been very useful (for example the international rules section, which is pretty much the bare bones) and the advanced editor has been repeatedly removed.

As somebody who just loves to tinker with the game I would love for the following changes to be made.

1. Template league xml files: What I mean by this is that certain leagues exhibit characteristics which are far beyond the capabilities of the normal editor. I think it would be wonderful if when adding a new league you had the option to choose from a few basic templates. Like the ones below:
    • Apertura/Clausura structures: Just a winter league and summer league setup would be wonderful
    • A playoff system like the MLS where teams are in different conferences but play all other teams in the league
    • Average point based relegation systems. Again, this would be lovely for South American leagues as they have been sadly neglected by editors due to the reduced functionlity of the FM editor related to real life.
    • A league with a playoff system like the football league, which at the moment is not possible.
    • An NASL type structure where teams are rewarded for scoring goals and matches are decided in shootouts.

[*]The ability to set points available for draws and defeats as well as wins. And perhaps to allow matches in league systems to be settled on penalties like in the NASL.

[*]And finally the ability to set rules changes a certain point into a competitions lifetime. If I wish for a league to have 2 points for a win for 5 years but 3 thereafter then this would be what I'd use. Perhaps even a simple "duration" checkbox could solve this problem.

Please SI, don't forget the editing community. I don't think that these suggestions would be too problematic in the terms of implementation, and there is definitely a high demand for realistic South American structures which make the original editor look a little bit clunky. I'd be happy if even 1 SI staff member posted in this thread after reading the suggestions because even though I love FM and all that it can do I feel as if these few small changes could make all the difference for my gaming experience and perhaps those of others.

I know that there is an official editor requests thread available to post in but I think that in that thread this post would just get buried, anyone else can add their own suggestions if they wish to, and hopefully this thread will get the exposure that it deserves to receive.

Cheers, UH.

In FM12 I tried to recreate the Dutch league structure. With the basic editor this is doomed to fail, beacuse the system is very, very complex.

So I had to use the advanced editor. In trying to recreate the league system (in which I didn't succeed, btw), I've become well trained in using the advanced panels.

In FM13 I want to do the same thing, without being forced to make too much compromises to the real rules of the leagues.

My sincere wish for the FM13 editor is that the number of possibilities in the basic editor is widely expanded, or that SI still allows users to use the advanced panels.

Fix the 'sort by squad numbers' since it hasn't worked properly since 2008, and in 2012 was so screwed it was unusable.

Add a remove all loans button that you can choose the dates between which to delete, e.g. remove all loans that start 1.7.2011 and end 31.12.2011 etc.

Have the same for injuries and bans.

Add the 'advanced editor' features into the main editor

LEAGUE EDITING.

You can create Leagues from scratch - but thats alot of work. To edit existing leagues would be great...

With SI announcing the "unlock-able content" for FM13, I'm thinking that the Editor will be dumbed down for this edition. This will mainly affect any finances being editable for FM13 leading to the demise all together as for FM14 and beyond they'll expand the payable DLC further.:(

i would like something for the failed changes maybe hightlighted tick box or the option too just click next and go through all the changes you have made instead of having to come out of one then go into other look throught the changes you have made or even just one click will delete all the failed changes

-Adding more than 2 reserve teams or B type team , currently we cant add more than 2 secondary teams ( example making a B team and a youth squad and you cant add more than that)

-A Proper way to check for what it failed or warn the player immediately it failed , its annoying that we have to check every single change to check what the hell went wrong specialty since its the editor failing not the player

Just like the templates that Unknown Hacker suggested, we could use a step by step league creation.

Like:

* step 1 -> what nation do you want to add or replace

* step 2 -> how many divisions and cups do you want it to have

* step 3 -> how many teams should be in those divisions and cups

* step 4 -> add (suggested) teams (within a specified range)

* step 5 -> add rules (from list) / copy rules from existing nation

* step 6 -> test

* step 7 -> create

And please make it possible to edit or add to a league without losing all existing special rules (like USA draft or Dutch playoffs)

And please make it possible to edit or add to a league without losing all existing special rules (like USA draft or Dutch playoffs)

That's what I think the template system will accomplish. Some sort of walkthrough process which is more advanced than the current one is a must as far as I can see.

That's what I think the template system will accomplish. Some sort of walkthrough process which is more advanced than the current one is a must as far as I can see.

I hope you are right as a lot of users just want to change basic things like sub rules/prize money will surely be simple with the new system???

I've asked Miles when further details of the FM13 editor are being announced.

His answer: "on release."

So we'll have to wait a bit to find out how the editor is going to be.

I hope you are right as a lot of users just want to change basic things like sub rules/prize money will surely be simple with the new system???

Exactly, if you have a template for the football league and it's unique playoff rules then it would just be a case of using the template and changing the very basic details.

I've asked Miles when further details of the FM13 editor are being announced.

His answer: "on release."

So we'll have to wait a bit to find out how the editor is going to be.

That doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that anything non-cosmetic is going to be added. I may be wrong though.

With SI announcing the "unlock-able content" for FM13, I'm thinking that the Editor will be dumbed down for this edition. This will mainly affect any finances being editable for FM13 leading to the demise all together as for FM14 and beyond they'll expand the payable DLC further.:(

This is my worry also. I'm wondering if they might take steps to limit functions in the editor to prevent us from creating Super Leagues and then release their own as DLC.

This is my worry also. I'm wondering if they might take steps to limit functions in the editor to prevent us from creating Super Leagues and then release their own as DLC.

I can see it coming that there will be 2 editors, one very poor basic one with game......and the other will be a good one that you will have to purchase seperatly(hope I 'M WRONG BUT THINK FMRTE SITUATION WILL HAVE GIVEN THEM IDEAS??? people were prepared to pay for it and this would blow the competition out of the water)

One feature I would like to see is being able to set up Promotion Play Offs between specific leagues, for example at Level 5 in South Wales there are 7 leagues but only 3 Promotion places. The winner of Gwent goes up automatically, but then the 2 winners of either South Wales division play off against each other for one promotion place, as do the winners from West Wales.

Another thing I would like to see added is the ability to say which Counties should be used for a specific league, for example if I add the Wrexham area league's at Level 3 I currently have to set a town for North, South, East and West which roughly mark's the boundaries of the League. Would be much easier if I could just set Clwyd as the County then only teams from a Town/City in that County could play in that league.

Cup competition seems to be huge issue. There are countries that have teams from higher league enter in later stages, and teams from higher leagues are forced to play away... in other countries there are not similar systems like ones in the UK, you know, e.g. in Germany BL teams play first round away at lower league teams. This is something I'd like to see in new basic editor - rule like "Lower seeded teams play at home" and "Keep teams from same division apart" so we avoid top division teams play in the first round.

:)

Not sure if I posted it on here or FM Base, I think if the DLC's are successful then extra nations, comps, graphics etc will surely follow. The current price of a £1 or $1 for a cheat will raise to £3 -£10 for these features and they may start charging for a editor that will only allow competitions to be made as the way I understand it if they made Super Leagues and used real team names in them they would have to pay more for Licensing to the clubs direct, so Fantasy leagues seem pretty safe.

Many people will say I'm whining about nothing and this is the way gaming is going nowadays but us FM'ers are a different breed altogether, I don't look at it as a game, I like to think its more of a hobby. If SI Games want it to go down a more acardie route then my feeling is release it as a stand alone game.

As for the blogs, I would have liked to hear in the first one that all the previous bugs have been fixed as I can see FM14 being a "sorry this one we've worked on probably to fix the errors, so theres not a lot of new features" which happened a few years back if I remember correctly.

After the initial announcement I was 50/50 on whether I was going to buy FM13, after the first blog I'm now 45/55 (being its unlikely), hopefully the next few blogs will impress me and it will swing the other way.

Personally, I would like the ability to add future transfers/moves for non-playing staff - e.g. If you were updating your FM12 database, you could add Vilas-Boas to Tottenham, Laudrup to Swansea etc.

One feature I would like to see is being able to set up Promotion Play Offs between specific leagues, for example at Level 5 in South Wales there are 7 leagues but only 3 Promotion places. The winner of Gwent goes up automatically, but then the 2 winners of either South Wales division play off against each other for one promotion place, as do the winners from West Wales.

I completely agree with this, this would make creating complex league systems a lot easier, ie the lower leagues of England.

Also, the ability to name rounds of cups would be brilliant. It'd solve qualifying and preliminary round problems that are caused when creating large cups.

The process of adding prize money a bit simpler too, instead of the lengthy process of adding each separately.

To be honest, just little changes would make the editor brilliant. I hope they don't DLC aspects of the game so it costs to add extra leagues etc. Yes they would be done in amazing details, but the fact that it would reduce the editors ability due to this DLC would be sad. One thing I love about the game is the ability to edit it and having to pay extra for that priviledge (if it is happening) would be bad!

Personally, I would like the ability to add future transfers/moves for non-playing staff - e.g. If you were updating your FM12 database, you could add Vilas-Boas to Tottenham, Laudrup to Swansea etc.

you can do this(obviously not as a future transfer but you can change them instantly ...I have update my db )

you could also do it in real time using FMRTE(again not perfect but it works) as and when you require, so that is better option in this example

Cup competition seems to be huge issue. There are countries that have teams from higher league enter in later stages, and teams from higher leagues are forced to play away... in other countries there are not similar systems like ones in the UK, you know, e.g. in Germany BL teams play first round away at lower league teams. This is something I'd like to see in new basic editor - rule like "Lower seeded teams play at home" and "Keep teams from same division apart" so we avoid top division teams play in the first round.

:)

you have that option in advanced editor. I can add that option in the basic editor, but I dont know if it will work in the game

I remember reading in some developer's article that regen stats are generated based on pre-made attribute templates or archetypes, and that the frequency with which these templates occur in regens is based on the frequency with which they occur in the starting database. If this is the case, it would be nice to be able to tinker with these templates and potentially introduce some interesting new player types. It would also be a nice touch if we could edit the frequency of each template as a simple percentage, and if this could be tied to player nationality in order to reflect footballing cultures.

Also, a simpler way of editing regen quality for each nation would be ideal, as this can make a big difference in long-term games. As it is, calibrating the regen production of individual nations is a rather complicated process - they enabled us to edit the 'Youth Rating' in the latest patch, which was supposed to be a quick fix, but the relationship between Youth Rating and actual regen quality seems far from clear. It looks like youth rating makes little or no difference for nations that are inactive in the game - these nations seem to generate players based almost solely on the average PA of players in the starting database, to preserve their current level. Meanwhile, active nations seem to be affected more by youth/training facilities than by youth rating - setting the Youth Rating to 200 does not guarantee quality regens for any nation, but setting facilities for all clubs in that nation to 20 seems to make a big difference and can make small nations churn out superstars like it's going out of fashion, even with a bad youth rating. My point is, I can see why regen quality being influenced by multiple factors makes sense, but it shouldn't take several days of tweaking and experimentation to make a specific nation produce slightly better or worse youngsters.

I'm not sure you can do it in FM12 but I'd love to scrap the Euros and World Cups and just have a World League and Euro League for international teams. Each take 1 year to complete and are all played on the usual international dates, but through the summer there would be 1-2 games every week. Obviously there would be a few divisions of 10-16 teams, not really gone into depth with my idea yet but would love to create it if possible in FM13 or 12 even if its possible.

edit prize $$$ among others

and also make it easier to create new continental competitions and new playable nations ;)

oh and also locate the failed changes automatically without having to search through 10,000 changes for 2-3 errors

you have that option in advanced editor. I can add that option in the basic editor, but I dont know if it will work in the game

I am advanced editor veteran and I am aware of this. :D

But, this is needed in normal editor.

edit prize $$$ among others

and also make it easier to create new continental competitions and new playable nations ;)

oh and also locate the failed changes automatically without having to search through 10,000 changes for 2-3 errors

yes agree with all.......hoping that with new editor(without using advanced editor) when you select a comp to look at rather then just get ...details/teams registered/records/history/contract types

you will be able to see full details ie- prize money/sub rules/ etc etc....................these are the things most users want to change and it should be simple

and if you make any mistakes you should see it in failed changes(eg I have a file with over 50000 changes.....3 show up as red failed changes(which bloody ones !!!)

I would love to see an option where team would be likely/unlikely to spend their transfer budget(or even borrow more money)or not.......eg on a scale of 1 being spend little to 20 spend it all and go into debt to get that extra player

also hope there will be the option to loan player/s as part of a transfer deal

changed the thread title as going to make this the new editor suggestions thread for FM 2013 any beyond as its changed alot since that thread so would be good to get fresh ideas posted for SI to consider.

For me its having a "nation" to edit which is totally blank or even the ability to create a new nation

The ability to set a population for a nation or have it calculated from the cities.

Filter and find players on loan would be good.

That's about it that may not have been mentioned before, most things I have learnt to work around or deal with satisfactorily and therefore I cannot think of them as thinks that need adding now (and cannot remember any).

I don't know if it's already been mentioned but I want the ability to transfer list a player from within the editor so when you start a new game that player is transfer listed. The AI shouldn't be able to remove him from that list until a sufficient amount of time has passed.

The only thing I want is the advanced editor to be enabled (no support is needed from si)

I remember reading in some developer's article that regen stats are generated based on pre-made attribute templates or archetypes, and that the frequency with which these templates occur in regens is based on the frequency with which they occur in the starting database. If this is the case, it would be nice to be able to tinker with these templates and potentially introduce some interesting new player types. It would also be a nice touch if we could edit the frequency of each template as a simple percentage, and if this could be tied to player nationality in order to reflect footballing cultures.

Also, a simpler way of editing regen quality for each nation would be ideal, as this can make a big difference in long-term games. As it is, calibrating the regen production of individual nations is a rather complicated process - they enabled us to edit the 'Youth Rating' in the latest patch, which was supposed to be a quick fix, but the relationship between Youth Rating and actual regen quality seems far from clear. It looks like youth rating makes little or no difference for nations that are inactive in the game - these nations seem to generate players based almost solely on the average PA of players in the starting database, to preserve their current level. Meanwhile, active nations seem to be affected more by youth/training facilities than by youth rating - setting the Youth Rating to 200 does not guarantee quality regens for any nation, but setting facilities for all clubs in that nation to 20 seems to make a big difference and can make small nations churn out superstars like it's going out of fashion, even with a bad youth rating. My point is, I can see why regen quality being influenced by multiple factors makes sense, but it shouldn't take several days of tweaking and experimentation to make a specific nation produce slightly better or worse youngsters.

Your first idea is brilliant. I'd love to just tinker with templates all the time and I'd probably do that more than actually play. As for your second paragraph, it sort of makes sense the way it is because nurture will always be more important than nature in creating good players, and the current setup I believe reflects this. The relationship between "Youth Rating" and regen quality should definitely be expanded upon by SI though.

For me its having a "nation" to edit which is totally blank or even the ability to create a new nation

The ability to set a population for a nation or have it calculated from the cities.

Filter and find players on loan would be good.

There is already a way to add new nations to the game:

Enabling the ADD (nation) option

1. From the base working location go into the "/database ui" folder.

2. Open a file called: db record lists (XML file)

3. Scroll or use a search function to find the table type you want to change.

4. In this example we will use the 'nation table'.

5. Once you have found the line <!-- nation table --> you are at the right spot.

6. Scroll down a bit more and look for these two lines:

Code:

<boolean id="allow_add" value="false"/> <boolean id="allow_remove" value="false"/>

Note: These two lines basically indicate that adding new and removing old nations is NOT allowed. I would suggest not touching the allow_remove line, but I thought you should know about it and what it does.

7. Now change the 'false' statement in the allow_add line to 'true'.

8. Save the file, close it and restart your editor.

9. You are now able to add brand new nations to the game.

Well it worked for me on FM11 at least.

Your other 2 ideas are very good ones. I think that the loan one has already been touched upon earlier in the thread, and I would like to see that just for ease of reference when searching for in-progress transfers. I also can't remember if the population is editable, but the ability to calculate it from cities within a nation is a must...

The only thing I want is the advanced editor to be enabled (no support is needed from si)

They would have to provide support though, and they would also have to really take an axe to it and remove some of the functionality because otherwise people would just break their games and the bug reporting forums would be full of people who had cocked up their game by making easy mistakes. I personally can't see it ever happening, but it would be fantastic.

There is already a way to add new nations to the game. Well it worked for me on FM11 at least.

I have known about that but having got burnt previously I never tried again. Might give it a go for FM13 though. Not had any issues with overwriting defunct nations.

I find there is a lot of old wives tales when it comes to the editor, lots of relics of advice that people hear for one version and never change.

One example is the old "you have to swap Khazakstan lets say to asia and then drop brunai out asia to add another nation to europe.

This may have been the case once but Europe seems to handle extra nations well now.

What would be good is if we could all share the most up to date findings in one place so others are not left behind doing old practice and old bad habits.

I have known about that but having got burnt previously I never tried again. Might give it a go for FM13 though. Not had any issues with overwriting defunct nations.

One example is the old "you have to swap Khazakstan lets say to asia and then drop brunai out asia to add another nation to europe.

This may have been the case once but Europe seems to handle extra nations well now.

Yeah it is very buggy but it has worked for me on FM11 and I actually forgot about it copletely until you just brought it up. :)

And for as far back as I can remember you've never need to swap a nation in order to add to Europe. It's just simple maths really I guess. But yet people continue to believe these unnecessarily complicated tales which are probably more likely to break their game.

Yeah it is very buggy but it has worked for me on FM11 and I actually forgot about it copletely until you just brought it up. :)

And for as far back as I can remember you've never need to swap a nation in order to add to Europe. It's just simple maths really I guess. But yet people continue to believe these unnecessarily complicated tales which are probably more likely to break their game.

Happened to me many times, got told one thing by one person and another person had a different story. Eventually I found most things you have to learn by yourself and hope someone puts you right before you do too much work.

SI won't enable the advanced editor by default, I'm sure of that. The reason is that - like Unknown Hacker pointed out - SI would be obliged to give support to people who tried the advanced editor and made a mistake with it.

SI stated earlier that using the advanced panels is illegal in their book and they even threathened to block the possibility of using the advanced panels all the same. I doubt if they are able to do that though, as there are always people like magicmastermind that can find a way to enable the advanced panels. At least, I hope so.

I'm a big fan of the advanced panels, and I would be deeply disappointed if the advanced panels could not be used in FM13.

So the advanced editor will not be enabled by default, we'll have to wait and see if someone can provide us access to the advanced panels, much like the previous versions of FM.

FM10 and FM13 editor are almost the same. What disappoint me, it's that Sigames seems doesn't bother about requests made by their customers. We asked for apertura and clausura structure 3 years ago, how is possible not satisfy a so simple request in 3 years?

We love Football Manager, users like me buy this game since the age of 486 DX processor. I ask a bit of respect for us who support you since then.

This is what I demand to update in the next patches.

Please Sigames.

IMPORTANT REQUESTS

-Regional Rules: it's a key element. We need it to make independent divisions and sub divisions for regional leagues. Currently, there is no way to make real regional divisions, just a big national division with national sub divisions with a lot of limits. It's a serious fault, above all considering it causes a mess for play-offs and play-outs. Example: I have 3 regional leagues, rlA, rlB and rlC. Each regional league has 2 local leagues. I want to make play-offs between the two local leagus of rlA and winner is promoted in rlA. This is not possible with the editor. I can only make play-offs for one local league or a global play-offs tournament involving all six local leagues.

-custom sub divisions in other sub divisions: it would be very important, because there are regional and local leagues which have different rules for each sub division. It would be really useful make custom sub divisions inside other subdivisions. Current option allow to make groups in a sub division, but we can't customize them.

-Apertura and clausura: like Argentina championship.

-MLS structure: I mean teams belonging to a group can play against teams of other groups.

-Qualification tournaments: another key element. If I want to make a qualification tournament for a cup, I can't.

-Venues: option to select venues for leagues and cups.

MINOR REQUESTS

-Option to choose exact dates for championship matches.

-More options for play-offs and play-outs.

-Add shoot-outs to extratime and penalties.

-Requirements to get a promotion (stadium, club status...).

The option to nominate more than one league in the "Division for Relegated Teams" field.

This would help solve some issues with regional boundaries if we can tell a division exactly what feeder leagues to drop relegated teams into. Currently when a higher league is fed by two or three lower leagues, the "Division for Relegated Teams" box has to be left blank. I believe this is one of the causes of team migration and some bewildering regional relegation issues.

My suggestion is to leave the league rules equal to FM 2012, since I'm applying the same rules I did in FM 2012 and is presenting error.

I'm stunned that no one has requested fixing the aspect of players in editor files not being added to the game? I think this must be the top priority imo. I truly hope that this is something that is pushed to be fixed quickly, as a lot of us really enjoy the aspect to mod the database files, and being able to have new persons added in the typical manner is key, I would think.

I'm stunned that no one has requested fixing the aspect of players in editor files not being added to the game? I think this must be the top priority imo. I truly hope that this is something that is pushed to be fixed quickly, as a lot of us really enjoy the aspect to mod the database files, and being able to have new persons added in the typical manner is key, I would think.

This is a request thread for future editors, not a buglist thread :)

I third the playoffs between specific divisions request. It should be possible to say for example two teams from Division A and the top teams from Division B and C participate in a playoff. Right now playoffs from leagues with sub divisions are severely limited, including the ridiculous requirement that the number of teams in the playoff must be divisible by the number of sub divisions. Makes it impossible to mimic many real-life competitions. Just give us a dumbed down "Fates" system from the advanced editor.

Hi guys, thanks to everyone for your suggestions. There are some really good ones in here.

I believe I've gone through them all and forwarded all the new ones onto the dev team, so we'll be able to review their plausibility in the near future.

The only one I struggled with was:

While this is a nice idea, I'm not sure it's possible as I don't believe it's strictly true that newgens are created using templates. There are aspects of newgens which are determined via templates, such as Ambition, Controversy etc., and these are now editable via the 'Nation' -> 'Information' screen. However, newgens are generated dependant on so many factors that I don't see how there could plausibly be a simple, settable field in the editor that could deal with them properly. Sorry about that.

Anyway, thanks again. Keep on editing, guys.

Henry

Thank you for your post Henry, it's nice to know that the dev team is looking at our ideas.

Out of interest, what are some of these factors which are used in the creation of newgen players?

I might have posted this already in this thread, but I think it bears repeating.

Please include a method in which editor data changes which have failed are easily filtered. This occurs regularly when the same file is applied to different official databases (e.g. 12.0 and 12.2) and/or different game versions. One of the current addable column options in all the data items is 'number of changes'. Perhaps something similar to it but referring solely to FAILED changes could be added to assist editors.