Sports Interactive Community
ri916

What's the cruelest thing that's happened to you in FM?

So I'm managing in the Norwegian second division (3rd tier) I'm Vidar and the table going into the last month of the season looks like this.

NorwegianSecondDivisionGroup3Overview_Stages-2-1.png

So we're just out of the one place relegation zone on goal difference. We have 4 games left to avoid the drop. I win all 4 of the remaining games and finish with 25 points, ahead of Austevoll. So I've survived relegation then? Nope.

NorwegianSecondDivisionGroup3Overview_Stages-4.png

So one relegation place has turned into 3 and I'm relegated, despite winning my last 4 games. I assume this was a cosmetic bug, where the 2 other places weren't coloured red, as when I went back to the older save where the first screenshot was taken the league rules did say that the bottom three got relegated despite what the league table showed.

I will post this in the bugs forum but I wanted to hear if others have had similar cruel things happen to them, or even different things that are just as cruel.

I noticed the same thing. In my last save I was managing Mandalskameratene, the rules said bottom three relegated but only one spot was red in the standings until teams were officially relegated. Fortunately I finished 11th, one point clear of relegation.

I also wondered during that save if Viking 2 was a bug, they're the only Reserve team in Division 2 and every time I faced them they loaded the team up with players from the Premier League team. I checked the match stats for them and eveyone else faced their scrubs.

This happened to me in my first playoff match. Was pretty pissed. Russian corruption at its best.

On a fine finish im 1-0 up, then my keepers scores an own goal.

Spent 23 seasons transforming AFC Wimbledon into a Premier League winning team only to find out there is a bug in the game that stopped alot of my homegrown players being registered for Europe, well ******

Finally have the chance to land by first wonderkid, but thanks to a bug with MLS, I can no longer re-sign my 4 1/2 star Brazilian newgen defender to extend his contract and keep him long enough to play for Canada.

Went Into the last day of the season in first place 1 point ahead. Lost my game was overtaken by the two teams bellow me and went into the playoff. Got to the final and was awarded a penalty in the opening minutes only to miss it concede a goal and then fail to score despite dominating the rest of the match.

It's an odd coincidence this thread appeared when I just came on these forums to share my own personal harshest experience in FM history.

I started a new save today, beginning as unemployed - something i've never done but thought i'd experiment with. I was offered a job by Sporting Mahonés in the Spanish Second Division B3 (the fourth tier of Spanish football). I had only half a dozen players and was quickly signing up what i thought were going to be great buys for this level of football - I went on to win my first friendly 4-1 with my new signings doing great.

The next news item comes along saying there's a boardroom takeover happening - I then get quite excited - Have i really got so lucky as to pick a team who are about to get a sugar daddy new owner?

Well, no. The takeover completed, and after 2 weeks in charge, one friendly win and 7 free transfer signings I'm SACKED! Because the new board want to bring in their own man!! Gutted.

Managing West Ham, won league cup first season, won a league and cup double 2nd season, won league, fa cup & ec in 3rd season, only for the club to be sold and get replaced as manager by Martin O'Neil. Went on holiday applying for all jobs, and after 3 months best job i was offered was Huddersfield.

Managing West Ham, won league cup first season, won a league and cup double 2nd season, won league, fa cup & ec in 3rd season, only for the club to be sold and get replaced as manager by Martin O'Neil. Went on holiday applying for all jobs, and after 3 months best job i was offered was Huddersfield.

Deary me, that is truly tragic, but it could be just the beginning....

Take Huddersfield up the leagues, beat West Ham, become rich as a club, steal all of O'Neil's best players every year. Get him sacked, and when they come to ask you for your job back, tell them to stuff it.

This happened to me in my first playoff match. Was pretty pissed. Russian corruption at its best.

On a fine finish im 1-0 up, then my keepers scores an own goal.

:applause:

It's nothing compared to some of the things in this thread, but with AC Milan, finished second in Serie A by one point, then went a goal up only to lose the Champions' League Final. Still grumble about it sometimes six months on...

Managed to get Celtic into the CL final after years of trying and failing. Came up against Real Madrid in the final and lost 2-1. I remember thinking I'd rather they just smashed us 6-0 or something like that as coming so close and not even managing to get an equaliser and a chance to sneak a win in et was without doubt easily the single most gut wrenchingly infuriating thing ever to happen to me in my FM career to date.

Managing Atletico Madrid, final day of the season, 1st in the table, 1 and 2 points above Real and Betis. At the HT, I was leading 1-0, Real played 0-0, and Betis was losing. Then I got red card, conceded a penalty and later on lost 2-1 to finish 3rd and go into CL quals, just to be eliminated by HJK Helsinki.

And it was on CM 03/04 :(

I started unemployed with a high reputation and after 18 months twiddling my thumbs I got Bayern at Christmas...they were 12th with some injuries and the same squad that started the game...in the final game of the season I needed to win to win the league and Hoffenheim equalised 15 seconds AFTER the end of injury time...grrr :)

Had a match engine bug cost me a title in a derby match with Manchester City after spending the entire season going back and forth. Gutted, quit playing that save then as well. Didn't have the heart to continue.

Many years ago I got Level 4 Brighton to the Champions League final after 6 seasons of toil...needless to say the game crashed

Playing 4 seasons(took me awhile) only for the player history bug to happen. Luckily I figured out how to prevent it happening.

Also, crash dump on a previous FM. Now use 3 rolling save format.

Never had anything that cruel in FM, gameplay wise. Maybe conceding in final seconds in the Champions Leaguue final, but there's always the next year, so hardly cruel.

I had my board sell one of my young prospects for cheap... About 6 months later the team who bought him 'flipped him' and sold him at 2x profit.... Feels bad man.

Man Utd.

Seems in this save there is nothing I can do to win the Premiership.

3rd time on my Nuneaton side I have finished 2nd to them,even with 95 points I can not win the title,that year I beat them twice but I was the only team to beat them.

Well Hernandez is going to be 34 next season so hopefully he learns how to miss or get tired or indeed gets a few injuries as his goals are killing me!

Cruelest thing - had a power black out and lost almost 6 hrs of play :

3x rolling save, with weekly autosave my friend. You soon get used to the saving.

That happened to be only a few days ago and I only lost 2 ingame days (5mins).