graphics card for fm 2012/13

looking at buying a new desktop for fm 2013, no problems with processors, ram or hdd space but graphics card wise I have no clue.

I want to run the 3d engine in full mode, do I need a dedicated graphics card or will an onboard machine have enough? obviously i'm aware the specs haven't been released for fm 2013 but I'd anticipate a similar requirement to fm 2012, so can anyone help?

My machine i'm looking at buying is going to have 8 or 16gb of ram, quad or 6 core processor, 1 or 2tb hdd and graphics card the machine comes with is ATI Radeon HD 6670 2gb.

is this enough?

thanks

looking at buying a new desktop for fm 2013, no problems with processors, ram or hdd space but graphics card wise I have no clue.

I want to run the 3d engine in full mode, do I need a dedicated graphics card or will an onboard machine have enough? obviously i'm aware the specs haven't been released for fm 2013 but I'd anticipate a similar requirement to fm 2012, so can anyone help?

My machine i'm looking at buying is going to have 8 or 16gb of ram, quad or 6 core processor, 1 or 2tb hdd and graphics card the machine comes with is ATI Radeon HD 6670 2gb.

is this enough?

thanks

FM doesn't need a brilliant graphics card for the 3D ME. That should be fine. 8/16gb of RAM is pointless unless you're going to be running a 64 bit system and using 64 bit programs.

thanks guys, been offered the following for £450, thoughts?

Case: Coolermaster Storm Scout

Internal: Ultra Violet Fans and Cables

Internal: Sound dampening foam, anti-vibration mounts, power supply gasket

Fan: Sharkoon 120mm Silent Eagle

Fan Control: Aerocool Touch Panel 2000

MoBo: Asus P7P55D Pro

PSU: Tagan TG1100-BZ

CPU: Intel i5 750 OEM

CPU Cooler: Xtremegear HDT 120 Xtreme

RAM: 4 x 2GB GSkill DDR3 1600MHz NQ Series (8GB total)

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 295 (1792MB)

Hard Disk: Hitachi 1TB Sata2

Optical Drive: LG BluRay 8x (DVDRW)

WiFi: D-Link G520 108Mbps

Cardreader: 12-in-1

Dell Ultrasharp 24" monitor

I take it that is second hand? Not a big fan of Asus motherboards tbh, but that is a good system for the price. Does it have an operating system installed on it.

It is an 'old' generation processor, but it is still more than enough to run FM, and a lot of other games besides.

I might be making this up but I seem to recall issues with the gen 1 i5's overheating.

To be honest & this is dependant on where you live but I'm fairly confident that you could get a new PC using the latest cpu architecture for similar price as that i5 system.

ok thanks for the feedback guys, yeah that was 2nd hand.

alex, dependant on where I live? I live in manchester, does that help?

What cpu's should I be looking out for? my budget is tops £500 really, and as with many on here it is pretty much being used for FM!

thanks again

I would doubt you would get a new system with as good a graphic card as that, a good monitor etc for £450. If you feel competent you can build your own one, but again don't think you will get a simlar spec'd system for that kind of money.

That system has a fairly decent aftermarket CPU cooler, so unless you are going to overclock the CPU I think it would be fine, but yes the early i5's and i7's did have overheating issues. I still have a gen 1 i7 with an Artic cooler rev 2 fitted and have never had an issue with overheating, and have overclocked mine.

I would doubt you would get a new system with as good a graphic card as that, a good monitor etc for £450.

True that. I think the PSU is ridiculously overpowered though and the video card is plentiful, to say the least, for FM as well. Not that it hinders any, mind. But the aforementioned Radeon 6670, a much slower card, can do FM's 3D just mighty fine, in fact it can cope with way more advanced 3d graphics still - unless you're expecting to run Battlefield 3 in Full HD resolution, it's not bad a card. I own one of these myself. Depends on what he's doing with the thing really. What is also to eventually bear in mind is that there will be no upgrade path from there on. As the base system is already a couple years old, no current processors can be upgraded later on if needed be. On stock clock speed, the 2008/2009ish i5 750 trails a bit behind a current i5 2300, competing with higher clocked Phenom II X4s or X6s, for instance. It seems pretty close to my Core i3 2100 overall, actually. http://ht4u.net/reviews/2011/performancevergleich_prozessoren_mai_2011/index21.php

Model numbers can be a hell of a lot confusing, so depending on your needs, here are some decent hierarchy charts for CPUs as well as video cards. The more powerful, the further up the list, and vice versa. Bear in mind that FM doesn't stress CPUs in the way typical games do, at least with the largely optional full detail match sim benefitting big time from multiple cores, and that these charts only count for game performance. If you also do a lot of video editing, etc. this would look at least a tad different. Still a decent starting point to get the idea. Anything above or equal a Radeon 6670 and Core i5 2300/Phenom II X4/X6 is plenty for FM in general, unless SI have heavily upgraded the 3D view of the match engine for FM 2013, which seems unlikely. A Radeon 6670 is fine with PES or FIFA as well. Since I used to run FM's 3d on a much lesser card previously, a 8600GT, you can likely go lower than that, all depending on desired screen resolutions, naturally.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

ok food for thought. done quite a bit of looking, have come across this:

Processor Intel® Quad Core Processor i5-2320, (3 Ghz, 6 MB)

Cache memory 6 MB

Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

RAM 8GB DDR3

Graphics card AMD HD6670, 2GB DDR3

Hard drive 1.5 TB (7200rpm) SATA

Optical disk drive 16 x DVD, 48x CDR, 24x RW

24 x DVD -/+R, 8x DL-/+R, 8x +RW, 6x -RW, 12x -RAM

Memory card reader Yes

USB 8 USB 2.0 ports

Modem/Ethernet 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet

WiFi Ralink 802.11 bgn USB Dongle

Audio interface 3.5mm, Optical, SPDIF

Expansion card slot 2x PCI-E x1

£370

thoughts?

if its for FM mainly.. i'd be more inclined to go brand new... that way you get the warranties and the piece of mind about quality of the products etc...

for instance:

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Palomino.html

quality machine that you can take out the monitor etc if you dont need them and it will be much cheaper... or even add in a dedicated graphics card instead... and still come out at your budget .

worth looking at new

Always surprises me that people go to all the effort of posting things like if it has a memory card reader and audio interface but never list the PSU which is lets face it the single most important part of a PC build.<shrug>

Exactly, couldn't agree more. And really? A 2GB 6670 to run FM? Way overkill there. Stick to onboard (which will be more than enough for FM 12 or 13) and invest in an SSD before you spend that amount on a GC that your never going to use 10% of playing FM.

Unless you plan to play higher spec games, I understand, but then it wont be long before the 6670 struggles to play any newer games anyway so its a dud investment.

If your going to invest in a seperate card, make sure you are future proofed as possible. Its pointless buying a card now that will be useless in 6 months.

But seriously, get an SSD.

as much as i agree the card is overkill for fm... I'd still take it over an SSD...

people are putting wayy to much into the benefits of them... for me an SSD is still an afterthought luxury... the 6670 will play games fine for years to come... the SSD is good for cutting off 30 seconds or so on startup and the minimum benefit to everything else.

as much as i agree the card is overkill for fm... I'd still take it over an SSD...

people are putting wayy to much into the benefits of them... for me an SSD is still an afterthought luxury... the 6670 will play games fine for years to come... the SSD is good for cutting off 30 seconds or so on startup and the minimum benefit to everything else.

I disagree. With a game like FM where the Database/disk is constantly being accessed it is a definite performance improvement. I can speak first hand on this after recently upgrading. It wont however, improve your graphic performance.

And a 6670 to play games for years to come? That while I understand is an exaggeration, is wrong. What games exactly do you think this will play in say 3 years time?

in 2 years time it will play most....

games, while designed to push the boundaries are primarily made to work on the vast majority of tech already in people's homes..

cards from 3-4 years ago will run games coming out now.. graphics cards are one of the most future proof components around for the casual user.

fm is cpu /ram dependent Lee... SSD's help with loading games up and might even leave you with nippier times between swapping screens, aswell as loading the 3d matches quicker as it loads in the 3d assets. but thats it.. it won't improve the actual processing of the game etc

essentially, i'd prefer to have 100 extra notes in my wallet than have 10 seconds of my day back.

in 2 years time it will play most....

games, while designed to push the boundaries are primarily made to work on the vast majority of tech already in people's homes..

cards from 3-4 years ago will run games coming out now.. graphics cards are one of the most future proof components around for the casual user.

fm is cpu /ram dependent Lee... SSD's help with loading games up and might even leave you with nippier times between swapping screens, aswell as loading the 3d matches quicker as it loads in the 3d assets. but thats it.. it won't improve the actual processing of the game etc

essentially, i'd prefer to have 100 extra notes in my wallet than have 10 seconds of my day back.

There is playing a game and enjoying playing a game.

Graphic cards are the things most PC players upgrade.

You can maybe "play" a new release today on a 3 year old card(depending on the game)but if you want it to run at good FPS you are going to need a newer card(depending on the game).

Also if you want to turn on all the bells and whistles you are going to need a new card.

All this does not go for the OP as he stated he will only be playing FM.

I play a lot of games and so in turn need to keep upgrading my PC and the Graphic card(along with the PSU if needed)is the 1 thing I replace more than anything else.

i'm a gamer myself and a system builder so i change graphics cards on a regular basis so i agree with that you're saying, but the graphics card is rarely the bottleneck as far as being able to RUN a game for me these days.

and also as you said, nothing to do with the OP as far as we know.

but the point still stands.. if it was a toss up between an SSD or going for a dedicated graphics card.... the card would win everytime.

i'm a gamer myself and a system builder so i change graphics cards on a regular basis so i agree with that you're saying, but the graphics card is rarely the bottleneck as far as being able to RUN a game for me these days.

and also as you said, nothing to do with the OP as far as we know.

but the point still stands.. if it was a toss up between an SSD or going for a dedicated graphics card.... the card would win everytime.

Thats why I questioned the need for a radeon 6670 to play FM. Its overkill, hence my suggestion to use on board which will be more than enough to play FM on best quality, while at the same time invest in an SSD. The Ram is fine to play FM comfortably, the CPU is too.

And it will be alot more than 10 seconds of your life you would gain, I would say closer to 20 :-)

If you only want to play FM, just make sure to get a reasonably recent Intel CPU and a SSD like the 128gb Samsung 830 or the good old Crucial m4. The integrated graphics hardware in the Ivy Bridge chips for example should surely cope with the game. Of course if you also want to play graphically demanding games, something like the GTX 660 Ti is a good choice.

ok food for thought. done quite a bit of looking, have come across this:Processor Intel® Quad Core Processor i5-2320, (3 Ghz, 6 MB)Cache memory 6 MBOperating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bitRAM 8GB DDR3Graphics card AMD HD6670, 2GB DDR3Hard drive 1.5 TB (7200rpm) SATAOptical disk drive 16 x DVD, 48x CDR, 24x RW24 x DVD -/+R, 8x DL-/+R, 8x +RW, 6x -RW, 12x -RAMMemory card reader YesUSB 8 USB 2.0 portsModem/Ethernet 10/100/1000 Gigabit EthernetWiFi Ralink 802.11 bgn USB DongleAudio interface 3.5mm, Optical, SPDIFExpansion card slot 2x PCI-E x1£370thoughts?
very good IMO but if the graphic card is Nividia 350M+ plus would be awesome :)

• 2 months later...

Hey guys!

Can I run FM 12 3D with this onboard graphics? I'm using Windows 7 32-bit.

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: ATI Radeon 2100 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)

Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.

Chip type:

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_796E&SUBSYS_D0001458&REV_00

Display Memory: 1534 MB

Dedicated Memory: 255 MB

Shared Memory: 1278 MB

Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Monitor Name: Fujitsu SL22W-1 LED

Monitor Model: SL22W-1 LED

Monitor Id: FUS07E0

Native Mode: 1680 x 1050(p) (59.954Hz)

Output Type: HD15

Driver Name: atiumdag.dll,atiumdva.cap,atitmmxx

Driver File Version: 8.14.0010.0630 (English)

Driver Version: 8.56.1.16

DDI Version: 9Ex

Driver Model: WDDM 1.0

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 7/14/2009 02:14:55, 4030976 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-3A2E-11CF-9E75-0AF0A1C2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x796E

SubSys ID: 0xD0001458

Revision ID: 0x0000

Driver Strong Name: atiilhag.inf:ATI.Mfg.NTx86...1:ati2mtag_RS690:8.56.1.16:pci\ven_1002&dev_796e

Rank Of Driver: 00F42001

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C

Deinterlace Caps: {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY

{6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY

{552C0DAD-CCBC-420B-83C8-74943CF9F1A6}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY

D3D9 Overlay: Not Supported

DXVA-HD: Not Supported

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Enabled

AGP Status: Enabled

I am pretty sure they do not make new drivers for that card.

Edit-

I just had a quick look and I think this is the 'newest' driver you can get now.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_xp.aspx

It does not mention Windows 7 so I would look into that before downloading.

Also I would just try the game first,you are just above the lower end specs so you should be okay.

Archived