Sports Interactive Community
SteveDM

Silly players. Or maybe silly agents

Typical story, I'm sure. Playing in the Championship, I had an agent offer me a player on a free. I had him scouted (report card only) and was told he'd be my 3rd best striker if I signed him. Good enough for me. Injuries and form will always play a part and he'd need to come in for a few games while I rest one of my top two.

I offered him the contract I thought he was worth (£7,000 a week, healthy goal bonus, promotion wage rise etc.) a nice signing on fee and a reasonable agent fee (I hate paying those!).

Agent immediately comes back, puts the wages up to £9,750 (reasonable given what some of the top players are on) but put his signing on fee up £20k and his own fee up to £170k! With that and the £2,500 appearance fee and £2k goal bonus I walked away.

He ended up signing for a Spanish 2nd division side. Of course I'm not privy to the signing on fee but his wages are £2,300 a week. So for that agent being so greedy, he's actually cost his client over £6,000 a week plus all the bonuses and signing on fees that went with it.

Anyone else got any examples of agents being just plain greedy and costing themselves and their clients as a result?

Consider when Man City are interested in a player, that player's agent is going to be rubbing their hands, knowing they can demand a lot more from City due to their endless riches.

I imagine this situation would be similar, on a smaller scale. A Championship side is likely to have a lot more in the bank than a Spanish D2 side, so the agent is going to try and squeeze you for more. Sometimes it will work out for agents, sometimes it won't.

Also that Spannish 2nd division side might have offered first team football meaning he'd be willing to go for less. This is standard practice in football. Not every player in football is stuck up with money. Some just want to play for a big team, others want to make money but alot of the time they just want to play football.

While the reasoning in the posts above surely make sense there is one thing that really bother me about this game and that is while it absolutely make sense that some players prefer to be able to play in the first team (and sacrificing some money in the process), I really doubt that there's too many case out there where players willing to lose at least 3X potential income (which he would've gotten even with SteveDM's initial offering) as a back up... The amount different is too big, and as much as people want to rationalize it, I believe the fault in a large part lies in the game it self.

Yeah, agents are broken/stupid.

Currently in League 1 with Lewes, seriously close to promotion, but there's very little cash to go around. Lost a 4-star potential DMC (20) and ST (21) who I was building the club around because I couldn't afford the agents demands. These are players I got in at 17, always gave first team and top wages to, had me as their favoured person and Lewes as favourite club.

Offered key player with wages 3-4,000 but couldn't go higher because board wouldn't let me (which is fair enough, we don't have the cash), and on top of that the agent wanted 50k+ fee for himself (same agent for both players), so lost them both on a free because they are under 24.

I don't have a problem with them trying to negotiate good deals, and me losing players because I can't meet their demands, but these two players have ended up at rival clubs in the same league for FAR less money than what I was offering, and both of them are in temas that are looking good for relegation.

Surely, SURELY, there's room in the code to make agents a little more reasonable, or players a little bit smarter with negotiations. If they had gone to clubs offering bigger money, or in a bigger league, fine. But when they left the club on a free no-one was interested in signing them at the time, and I had a great contract waiting for them at a team looking for promotion.

was a player I had been tracking for a year or so, (Ivorian newgen) basically couldn't sign him until he had played an international game, he went to top Egyptian club, he played his first international game, made my offer, offered the contract.... the agent WOULD NOT BUDGE, so deal fell through, after 3 tries in differant months.

the player sacked his agent :D

It would be nice if the agent was able to come back to you after getting the offer from the D2 Spanish team and say that while they'd gotten another offer the player would like to reopen negotiations, perhaps pitching their demands a bit lower, as they were really impressed by the club/want to stay in this country/some other excuse.

I had something in a save of mine where I'd wanted to sign a player on a free. Had him in on trial, all that, thought he was decent and good cover for the squad. I was the only team weven remotely interested and he'd played 6 games the previous season, so hardly in demand and in form. His demands though would've made him the 3rd highest player at a club where I had a strict wage budget, so that was a non-starter. By the time Jan rolsl around I notice he's still free. No trials at other clubs, no interest. I offer him a deal again - his demands haven't budged. He hasn't played in six months and no-one else wants to sign him and he's refusing a wage that was about a smidge under the league-wide average? Really? He was no longer in the game by the time the next season rolled around.

I find it easier dealing with players with agents. They're usually greedy for their own money instead of their client.

It's well documented that sometimes players/agents demand too much.

In the case of high profile players who are out of contract this is very obvious. For instance, Tevez could be demanding £175,000 per week from my team (Aston Villa). I offered £105,000 which matched my highest earner and they went straight back to the original offer, they didn't move one bit despite me increasing my offer gradually. I turned down negotiations because he's an ageing player and thats almost double my current highest wage. Then he moves to newly promoted West Ham on £45,000 per week. Would a player really demand £130,000 a week less just because he spent a single season there in the past? Really?

There have been other similar incidents (One involving Samuel Eto'o, another involving Zlatan Ibrahimovic) but I just thought i'd pick the most recent that happened to me.

it's pretty obvious that players demands are much less for the AI.

tevez wants £500,000 a week from me and a £20million signing on fee but then pisses off to his beloved boca for £10k a week and only earns 50p and a chocolate bar as his signing on fees.

Had many examples of this.

1 example is on my current MLS save as Seattle when I started the game because of the crazy rules in the states I was on the look out for good free transfers that I could just slip into my squad right away.

I noticed the over the hill Hernan Crespo was on a free transfer after release from Parma and despite his age being over 35yrs his CA was still better than 95% of my squad and I figured his signing on a 1 year deal would be good for shirt sales as his rep would please the fans signing a legend, his experience would be great for the young members of my squad and his stats like finishing and heading etc...were still all over 16/20.

However his agent said his client would want minimum of £10k + bonus + signing on fee etc....and most damming he would be classed as a DP (Designated Player for those who dont play within the MLS). I already had my maximum of 3 dp's so that ended any hope of signing him even if I could offer the wages he wanted......or so I thought.

I checked back on him every now and then and no change. Then suddenly after a few weeks I checked and WOWZER (yes I said wowzer) he no longer wanted DP status and his wage demands had dropped from £10k p/w to £765 p/w!!!! That made his signing on a 1 year deal a no brainer. Obviously I knew at his age and the way FM works his CA would decline rapidly but on a 1 year his experience would be a real help with my younger strikers and he proved his worth with a steady 9 goals (inc a cup final 90th min goal) before an injury guarenteed his CA would drop beyound the point of no return. He agreed to return to Argentina at the end of his contract and wished him well.

These kind of things seem to happen with me alot with agents. The popular free transfer of German Defender Friedrich is another. Kept trying to sign him all season for Seattle. Wasnt interested all season then when he was he wanted DP player status and a stack of money. Then Suddenly he was happy to accept back up player status and £500 p/w which was a mental jump from what he wanted. Plus his CA was waaaay better than any centre back I already had in my triple winning champions squad.

There was something about agents on tv the other day. And from my understanding there are alot of bad ones out there.

One situation quoted, player is a back up player at his club in the championship, hasn't played in 3 years and spoke to the manager about it. Manager agrees to let him move, and the director of football at the club gets him a move on the same wages with guarentee of first team football all be it two divisions lower. His agent who hasn't been seen during his 3 year stay at the club since getting the contract signed, hears about it and phones new club up, "My client is coming but i want £20k for it" New club hangs up and deal falls through as a result. The player still isn't in first team contention with his current club and his current club are encouraging the player to sack his agent.

So if agents are broke in real life surley the game is reflecting this well.

There was something about agents on tv the other day. And from my understanding there are alot of bad ones out there.

One situation quoted, player is a back up player at his club in the championship, hasn't played in 3 years and spoke to the manager about it. Manager agrees to let him move, and the director of football at the club gets him a move on the same wages with guarentee of first team football all be it two divisions lower. His agent who hasn't been seen during his 3 year stay at the club since getting the contract signed, hears about it and phones new club up, "My client is coming but i want £20k for it" New club hangs up and deal falls through as a result. The player still isn't in first team contention with his current club and his current club are encouraging the player to sack his agent.

So if agents are broke in real life surley the game is reflecting this well.

The problem is that it's not a couple of isolated instances. This happens regularily in the game. It really needs to be sorted out.

I had my star striker retire from football aged 30/31 because his agent (and the player?) had unrealistic wage demands. He wanted to be the best paid player in the division the season after we got promoted. So of course he left on a free, no one signed him, and he retired soon after. I find this really silly - are there really that many of jobs on offer for ex-football players from the lower divisions that pay several thousand pounds a week?

All these complains must make the FM blokes see there's a problem in the game I hope!

My biggest beef is the one (mentioned a few times above) where player/agent hold out for huge deal from me, then signs for peanuts with an inferior team shortly after. That's a system that's plain broke if you ask me!

Like I mentioned in my examples its bonkers. Basically in my experience if you wait it out you can get the player so much cheaper as long as nobody else sneaks in and pays him what his agent wants.

But then like someone else mentioned having the odd bad agent is real to life.

Sometimes players do want silly money and then wait and wait and sometimes get the deal they want or sometimes end up joining a much worse team on less money due to all the messing around.

1 current example would be Michael Owen. Obviously believe what you want when it comes to what the papers and sky sports say but im very confident a few clubs would have contacted Owen by now but his agent prob wants silly money on a fix contracted when in reality the clubs know he will prob be injured 75% of the time and cant risk paying over the odds for a old (ish) striker whose past his best. Chances are he will most likely end up with a club like Stoke on much less money than his agent first wanted and on a pay as you play contract.

Players/agents demands are connected/relative to clubs wage budget. Save game and than enter contract negotiations with wage budget previously adjusted to minimum value, then reload and enter contract negotiations with wage budget previously adjusted to maximum value and observe huge difference in players demands. This is the reason for described issues. It's either a bug or a very poorly designed feature.

Players/agents demands are connected/relative to clubs wage budget. Save game and than enter contract negotiations with wage budget previously adjusted to minimum value, then reload and enter contract negotiations with wage budget previously adjusted to maximum value and observe huge difference in players demands. This is the reason for described issues. It's either a bug or a very poorly designed feature.

This would be a justifyable theory apart from I just spoke to a guy who wanted my entire wage budget to himself

All these complains must make the FM blokes see there's a problem in the game I hope!

My biggest beef is the one (mentioned a few times above) where player/agent hold out for huge deal from me, then signs for peanuts with an inferior team shortly after. That's a system that's plain broke if you ask me!

Its really easy to explain.

Agent/player has a set deal in their mind - You don't meet their expectations so he doesn't sign with you. Several days/weeks down the line his situation has changed, his expectations have changed and he is offered a deal by an AI club that meets his expectations.

Yes its often lower than what you offered but thats not really important, its whats happened in those few days/weeks since your offer was refused.

If you wanted realistic improvement then maybe the agent/player should return to your and enquire if the offer is still available but I'm not sure how easy that would be to code.

This is the main problem. The AI seems to run on different rules to the player when it comes to transfer negotiations. I'm also a bit surprised people are saying it scales to your wage budget. If I was a manager I would NEVER disclose my budget available to an agent.

Its really easy to explain.

Agent/player has a set deal in their mind - You don't meet their expectations so he doesn't sign with you. Several days/weeks down the line his situation has changed, his expectations have changed and he is offered a deal by an AI club that meets his expectations.

Yes its often lower than what you offered but thats not really important, its whats happened in those few days/weeks since your offer was refused.

If you wanted realistic improvement then maybe the agent/player should return to your and enquire if the offer is still available but I'm not sure how easy that would be to code.

I like the idea of agent inquiring if he previous offer was still open but won't stay standing up waiting for it to happen. Going back a week or so later with another offer is not normally an option since the previous (I want the Earth) negotiation probably ended in tears & the agent will still be sulking & refuse to talk to you.